Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Share
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5679
    Points : 5707
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  TR1 on Sun May 25, 2014 11:10 pm

    They work for me.

    Nice pics.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Mon May 26, 2014 12:12 pm

    Now they work for me too.
    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6312
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 37
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Viktor on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 pm

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10757
    Points : 11236
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  George1 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:28 am

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:43 am

    I've wondered what the little sensors are for on the right engine side on Mi-28N. Like on this picture i posted in iraqi deals thread.



    And i noticed exact same sensors in higher resolution on WZ-10.

    Can someone tell me if he knows what it is?

    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3245
    Points : 3331
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  medo on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:54 pm

    Werewolf wrote:I've wondered what the little sensors are for on the right engine side on Mi-28N. Like on this picture i posted in iraqi deals thread.



    And i noticed exact same sensors in higher resolution on WZ-10.

    Can someone tell me if he knows what it is?


    I think this is sensor to measure angle of attack.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:09 pm

    It looks very stiff to me to believe it has anything to do with aerodynamic or anything in that regard.

    I find it little bit strange since it is angled back in 60-45° and the little metal plate with that little elevation looks little bid odd and quite useless for air sensorics. I think more of radio intereference sensor, but really not what i've  seen on other sensors for same purpose. Really bugging me what that is used for.

    The other thing is on Chinese WZ-10 the angled spike is facing towards that metal plate and on Mi-28 it faces away and the metal plate is infront of the spike towards flight direction.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16865
    Points : 17473
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  GarryB on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 am

    Have read in the past, criticism of the Mi-28N for not having the DIRCM turrets shown on the Ka-52.

    Perhaps this photo explains the situation as these DIRCM pods look very much like the wingtip pods of the Mi-28N:



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10757
    Points : 11236
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  George1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:16 am

    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3245
    Points : 3331
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  medo on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:38 pm



    Picture of new Mi-8AMTSh, but behind is a new Mi-28N with mast mounted radar.
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2141
    Points : 2306
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Cyberspec on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:53 pm

    Is that a prototype of the MN or a serial Mi-28N?
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3245
    Points : 3331
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  medo on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:06 pm

    Cyberspec wrote:Is that a prototype of the MN or a serial Mi-28N?

    Difficult to say, as bort number is not seen clearly. But it have new colors, so could be one of new build helicopters. After all, new Iraqi Mi-28 also have radar.

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:49 pm

    GarryB wrote:Have read in the past, criticism of the Mi-28N for not having the DIRCM turrets shown on the Ka-52.

    Perhaps this photo explains the situation as these DIRCM pods look very much like the wingtip pods of the Mi-28N:


    Do you know if there was a picture of the datasheet somewhere taken by Vitaly?
    avatar
    mack8

    Posts : 957
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2013-08-02

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  mack8 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:49 pm

    Picture of new Mi-8AMTSh, but behind is a new Mi-28N with mast mounted radar.

    Could just be 37, judging also by the exhaust and fuselage smoke stains (so it has flown a good amount)
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2141
    Points : 2306
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:19 am

    mack8 wrote:
    Picture of new Mi-8AMTSh, but behind is a new Mi-28N with mast mounted radar.

    Could just be 37, judging also by the exhaust and fuselage smoke stains (so it has flown a good amount)

    we'll just have to wait for clearer pictures
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16865
    Points : 17473
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  GarryB on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:47 am





    The above are the best shots of that system.

    There was also this:




    Which is the data sheet for this:



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:07 pm

    Thank you very much.
    Like it seems and from the dimensions of the DIRCM there should be enough space in this pods for Flare dispensers left from the DIRCM.
    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5669
    Points : 6312
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 37
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Viktor on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:41 pm

    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2141
    Points : 2306
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Cyberspec on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 am

    Apparently a pylon for R-73 AAM  Question

    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16865
    Points : 17473
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  GarryB on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:15 pm

    With two R-73s and 8 Iglas and of course a 30mm cannon it would be fairly well equipped in the airfield perimeter air defence role, but it seems odd to me to use it for such a purpose.

    I can understand the iglas for self defence when air threats are a problem, or the enemy is using large numbers of UAVs, but an R-73 would only be warranted against serious air opposition... and against serious air opposition I wouldn't send up Havocs... I'd send up MiG-29s and Su-27s to clear the skies first.

    Certainly the R-73 with its 8kg warhead should be able to deal with aircraft like the A-10 with one hit but these aircraft don't operate alone so having all your weapons pylons equipped with AAMs doesn't make sense. It wont be able to do its job with just its 30mm cannon for air to ground use.

    Or perhaps this is just for testing and they are testing its air to air capability with R-73s and Iglas against aerial targets.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:05 am

    Apparently a pylon for R-73 AAM  Question

    Yes, i asked it on a different forum and apparently the launching rack APU-73 was mounted rear forward, not sure if this is just universale designed launching rack where it does not matter which way, which would make the only sense if it would not matter.
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1729
    Points : 1886
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  TheArmenian on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 am

    GarryB wrote:With two R-73s and 8 Iglas and of course a 30mm cannon it would be fairly well equipped in the airfield perimeter air defence role, but it seems odd to me to use it for such a purpose.

    I can understand the iglas for self defence when air threats are a problem, or the enemy is using large numbers of UAVs, but an R-73 would only be warranted against serious air opposition... and against serious air opposition I wouldn't send up Havocs... I'd send up MiG-29s and Su-27s to clear the skies first.

    Certainly the R-73 with its 8kg warhead should be able to deal with aircraft like the A-10 with one hit but these aircraft don't operate alone so having all your weapons pylons equipped with AAMs doesn't make sense. It wont be able to do its job with just its 30mm cannon for air to ground use.

    Or perhaps this is just for testing and they are testing its air to air capability with R-73s and Iglas against aerial targets.

    My guess is it won't take the R-73. It will take the successor of that missile and go against anything that flies in an all out future war: including UAVs, other helicopters, cruise missiles and even combat aircraft that come too close.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Werewolf on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:20 pm

    TheArmenian wrote:
    GarryB wrote:With two R-73s and 8 Iglas and of course a 30mm cannon it would be fairly well equipped in the airfield perimeter air defence role, but it seems odd to me to use it for such a purpose.

    I can understand the iglas for self defence when air threats are a problem, or the enemy is using large numbers of UAVs, but an R-73 would only be warranted against serious air opposition... and against serious air opposition I wouldn't send up Havocs... I'd send up MiG-29s and Su-27s to clear the skies first.

    Certainly the R-73 with its 8kg warhead should be able to deal with aircraft like the A-10 with one hit but these aircraft don't operate alone so having all your weapons pylons equipped with AAMs doesn't make sense. It wont be able to do its job with just its 30mm cannon for air to ground use.

    Or perhaps this is just for testing and they are testing its air to air capability with R-73s and Iglas against aerial targets.

    My guess is it won't take the R-73. It will take the successor of that missile and go against anything that flies in an all out future war: including UAVs, other helicopters, cruise missiles and even combat aircraft that come too close.

    You mean Morphei? If yes than a Multi Launching Rack would be necessary, that is kind of waste of lot of weight and space to just mount one single missile on a pylon that can hold over 730kg.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 2716
    Points : 2754
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  franco on Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 pm

    Testing to begin of the Mi-28NM. Probably explains why no follow up orders yet. The second batch ordered will be all delivered in 2016.
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fria.ru%2Fdefense_safety%2F&sandbox=1
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3245
    Points : 3331
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  medo on Wed May 27, 2015 4:31 pm



    Picture of various air to ground modes from Mi-28N radar.
    1. Cartography of the terrain.
    2. Showing of dangerous electric cables.
    3. Showing of ground moving targets. Green are moving away, red are coming closer.
    4. Shoving of moving target (red, green) and stationary targets.
    5. Showing of meteorological conditions
    6. Microplan mode to show more details of the target or interesting area.

    We could assume, that radar in Ka-52 have the same capabilities.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:05 am