Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+54
Morpheus Eberhardt
KomissarBojanchev
zepia
2SPOOKY4U
onwiththewar
chinggis
Cowboy's daughter
George1
Hannibal Barca
HeNeArKrXeRn_
Walther von Oldenburg
Cyberspec
OminousSpudd
PapaDragon
kvs
calripson
ExBeobachter1987
BKP
franco
Firebird
Werewolf
Viktor
wilhelm
Boreas
par far
Da_Vinci
Karl Haushofer
TheArmenian
arpakola
higurashihougi
Mr.Comrade
AirCargo
cracker
mutantsushi
Akula971
Neutrality
Erk
mack8
magnumcromagnon
Regular
KoTeMoRe
sepheronx
whir
flamming_python
Godric
medo
gregoire
Cahaba
Flagship Victory
auslander
Ghoster
Monarchist
Khepesh
Rodinazombie
58 posters

The Situation in the Ukraine. #15

Karl Haushofer

The Situation in the Ukraine. #15 - Page 31 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #15

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:Women and children too?

These people just want the war to end. It is their homes being destroyed. It is their people getting killed. They don't give a fuck about geopolitical games between Russia and the West. They just want this war to end. If Russia/NAF is unable to drive the Kiev junta away from the shelling distance of Donetsk then they better surrender and let Kiev have Donbass.

If they want their voices heard, what they should do is go to Moscow and demonstrate outside the Kremlin. It is Putin who does not allow NAF to fight back because he has to keep selling gas to the EU for income.
    I would imagine that they would go to Moscow and demonstrate if they could. But these are poor war-torn people. They can't take a trip and go to Moscow to demonstrate just like that.

But it would be great if there was a big pro-Donbass and anti-Kremlin demonstration in Moscow. I'm not talking about anything revolutionaly or "throw Putin away" stuff, but make the Kremlin know that there are people who do not approve the current inaction by Russia.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

The Situation in the Ukraine. #15 - Page 31 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #15

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:39 pm

I clearly remember, there were mass demonstrations in Slavyansk before Strelkov had to leave Slavyansk because the people there were fed up with the shellling and no longer supported rebels there. Hopefully the same won't happen in Donetsk.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:I clearly remember, there were mass demonstrations in Slavyansk before Strelkov had to leave Slavyansk because the people there were fed up with the shellling and no longer supported rebels there. Hopefully the same won't happen in Donetsk.
    If the same happens in Donetsk (Novorossiya loses support due to constant shelling by Kiev and the NAF's inability to protect the people) then what will happen next? Will Russia become more involved (as NATO would have all of Ukraine) or will Russia just accept a defeat?

Last edited by Karl Haushofer on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:I would imagine that they would go to Moscow and demonstrate if they could. But these are poor war-torn people. They can't take a trip and go to Moscow to demonstrate just like that.

But it would be great if there was a big pro-Donbass and anti-Kremlin demonstration in Moscow. I'm not talking about anything revolutionaly or "throw Putin away" stuff, but make the Kremlin know that there are people who do not approve the current inaction by Russia.

You see how Russian media no longer shows the war in Donbas because of the Minsk agreement? I don't think the Russian public even realizes there is an ethnic cleansing in Donbas. So how will the people in Moscow demonstrate if they do not know about what is happening?
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Werewolf wrote:Ohh dear...some of you drama queens... you really have not a clue how strategy works? You haven't read any historical wars? You have not a singe clue about geopolitics?

It is like a butcher standing in emergancy room and trying to tell surgeons how to safe lifes. This isn't about cutting out one little cancerous spot, it is about saving the entire body. You seize now DNR/LPR into RF it will make it russian soil and will make it direct war not a proxy war, meaning you have a war inside russia which USrael wants. The strategy is to get all russian soil back (Ukraine), seize one part after another it will look like occupation, get the whole thing in one will be what it is a sezession in this case it does not matter what the west things, those chihuahas do not matter for anyone, what matters is the citizens within, how they will see it. Either occupation of territory one after another or like reunion, after that let the purge begin of any Azov, any SALA Ukrainian scum or any jewish oligarch that financed genocide of russians.

That ship has sailed, ukraine isnt coming back to russia, ever.

The most you can hope for is a neutral ukraine even after this gang of thieves has moved on. Anyone who really thinks that russia will ever gain ukraine back as a 'partner' is seriously deluded in my opinion.

Putin has to tread a fine line here and I think we all accept that, his strategy is more or less correct but he is walking just slightly on the wrong side of the line as ive said before.

Im not talking about any stupid invasion ideas, with russian tanks rolling down the maidan, he can still implement his strategy as it is now, but there has to be a base level that there is no civilians being killed by ukraine. That simply has to stop.

Khepesh
    Khepesh

Post  Khepesh Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Werewolf wrote:Ohh dear...some of you drama queens... you really have not a clue how strategy works? You haven't read any historical wars? You have not a singe clue about geopolitics?

It is like a butcher standing in emergancy room and trying to tell surgeons how to safe lifes. This isn't about cutting out one little cancerous spot, it is about saving the entire body. You seize now DNR/LPR into RF it will make it russian soil and will make it direct war not a proxy war, meaning you have a war inside russia which USrael wants. The strategy is to get all russian soil back (Ukraine), seize one part after another it will look like occupation, get the whole thing in one will be what it is a sezession in this case it does not matter what the west things, those chihuahas do not matter for anyone, what matters is the citizens within, how they will see it. Either occupation of territory one after another or like reunion, after that let the purge begin of any Azov, any SALA Ukrainian scum or any jewish oligarch that financed genocide of russians.
    As a person who does understand strategy and warfare from 20 years in army at command level, I ask why it is so difficult, so "wrong", to push back enemy artillery bombarding your city, particulary when they are already in clear violation of Minsk agreements. Minsk is already broken, how broken does it have to be, how many lives lost before simply pushing back enemy artillery can be done. I have not called for advance to Kiev or even the Dnepr, simply to remove the threat of artillery bombardment to Donetsk, this is wrong?
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    Flagship Victory wrote:I clearly remember, there were mass demonstrations in Slavyansk before Strelkov had to leave Slavyansk because the people there were fed up with the shellling and no longer supported rebels there. Hopefully the same won't happen in Donetsk.
    If the same happens in Donetsk (Novorossiya loses support due to constant shelling by Kiev and the NAF's inability to protect the people) then what will happen next? Will Russia become more involved (as NATO would have all of Ukraine) or will Russia just accept a defeat?

Putin would be happy because he does not like Novorossiya because Novorossiya angers Russia's brother nation the EU. It would be harder for Putin to give Crimea to Ukraine but it can be done.
    Khepesh
    Khepesh

Post  Khepesh Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Zakharchenko made a strong, but not very convincing speech on the street to citizens. Asked how to stop the bombardment he replied how do you stop a mad elephant, by smashing it's skull. Yes, good, but then he says that he cannot throw untrained troops into battle. He will know exactly how many and how well trained his forces are, but after a year of war I suggest that at least some of his men are well enough trained, in fact the majority. I suggest that him saying he cannot throw untrained forces into battle is not the entire truth but an excuse. I do not blame Zakharchenko as he is shackled.
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

Putin would be happy because he does not like Novorossiya because Novorossiya angers Russia's brother nation the EU. It would be harder for Putin to give Crimea to Ukraine but it can be done.

Quit the stupid trolling.

Putin doesnt hate novorossia, but probably considers it a huge irritation as he was forced into helping it and wasnt able to get away with crimea as cleanly as he hoped. Likewise the eu is not a 'brother nation', its a group of very important business partners that he can hardly ignore if he wishes to keep the russian economy afloat.

Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

You are overreacting here. Putin would certainly not he "happy". Only a western agent or a self-hating Russian would be "happy" to see DPR/LPR fall. I don't see Putin as that (he is so hated in the West that he must have done at least something right).

But in this case Putin has been oddly timid. Whether Putin is a calculative minded person who does not see the liberation of Donbass worth it (in spite of all the killing and destruction there) or Putin is genuinely afraid of the West (the West has threatened Putin behind the scenes that has stopped Russia from acting to its capabilities).
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:I don't see Putin as that (he is so hated in the West that he must have done at least something right).

But in this case Putin has been oddly timid. Whether Putin is a calculative minded person who does not see the liberation of Donbass worth it (in spite of all the killing and destruction there) or Putin is genuinely afraid of the West (the West has threatened Putin behind the scenes that has stopped Russia from acting to its capabilities).

Everyone in the west hates Russia, not necessarily Putin. They hate Russia because Russia is the biggest country in the world and they are envious. They won't be happy until Russia is no more.
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Khepesh wrote:Zakharchenko made a strong, but not very convincing speech on the street to citizens. Asked how to stop the bombardment he replied how do you stop a mad elephant, by smashing it's skull. Yes, good, but then he says that he cannot throw untrained troops into battle. He will know exactly how many and how well trained his forces are, but after a year of war I suggest that at least some of his men are well enough trained, in fact the majority. I suggest that him saying he cannot throw untrained forces into battle is not the entire truth but an excuse. I do not blame Zakharchenko as he is shackled.

They have been smashing the elephants skull quite successfully for a year now, so why arent they being allowed to anymore? Why are they being forced to let the elephant trample all over them when they could stop it given the order?

HeNeArKrXeRn_
    HeNeArKrXeRn_

Post  HeNeArKrXeRn_ Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:I would imagine that they would go to Moscow and demonstrate if they could. But these are poor war-torn people. They can't take a trip and go to Moscow to demonstrate just like that.

You see how Russian media no longer shows the war in Donbas because of the Minsk agreement? I don't think the Russian public even realizes there is an ethnic cleansing in Donbas. So how will the people in Moscow demonstrate if they do not know about what is happening?

do you actually watch the Russian media or are you simply talking out of your ass? The crisis in Ukraine is still the #1 subject on Russian TV
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Khepesh wrote:

As a person who does understand strategy and warfare from 20 years in army at command level, I ask why it is so difficult, so "wrong", to push back enemy artillery bombarding your city, particulary when they are already in clear violation of Minsk agreements. Minsk is already broken, how broken does it have to be, how many lives lost before simply pushing back enemy artillery can be done. I have not called for advance to Kiev or even the Dnepr, simply to remove the threat of artillery bombardment to Donetsk, this is wrong?

Minsk can't be broken by Ukraine! (c) You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. So yeah I can't be more broken than it is, but it only matters when Russia does it.
    whir

Post  whir Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Khepesh wrote:this is wrong?
    No, but there has to be more than meets the eye, the concentration of troops and hardware that Kiev is amassing indicates that it's not gearing up just to continue their daily shelling.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:06 pm

2 Maidan bastards KIA and 20 more WIA yesterday.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:08 pm

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:

Minsk can't be broken by Ukraine! (c) You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. So yeah I can't be more broken than it is, but it only matters when Russia does it.

You did not answer to khepesh's question though.

I think his idea was that Russia and the NAF should do the right/decent thing and drive Kiev's artillery out of reach from Donetsk in spite of the West's reaction and consequences. This would not be akin to invading Kiev or even Mariupol. It would just give some much needed peaceful life for Donetsk residents.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Rodinazombie wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:Zakharchenko made a strong, but not very convincing speech on the street to citizens. Asked how to stop the bombardment he replied how do you stop a mad elephant, by smashing it's skull. Yes, good, but then he says that he cannot throw untrained troops into battle. He will know exactly how many and how well trained his forces are, but after a year of war I suggest that at least some of his men are well enough trained, in fact the majority. I suggest that him saying he cannot throw untrained forces into battle is not the entire truth but an excuse. I do not blame Zakharchenko as he is shackled.

They have been smashing the elephants skull quite successfully for a year now, so why arent they being allowed to anymore? Why are they being forced to let the elephant trample all over them when they could stop it given the order?

Some options:
    1. Kiev's military has suddenly become a lot stronger and better.
    2. The NAF has become weaker.
    3. Someone from outside if preventing the NAF from engaging full battle against Kiev.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Minsk 2 was broken from the moment the first bullet was fired. Everyone knows there is no more Minsk 2. So why pretend? Putin only cares about selling gas to his EU partners. He does not care about Donbas. Sad but true.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:Some options:
    3. Someone from outside if preventing the NAF from engaging full battle against Kiev.

It's true that Kiev's military has become much stronger. They built all these fortifications, meaning any NAF offensive would be impractical. Also, the US arms and trains Kiev's military. Russia does not do that for NAF. NAF could have taken Kiev in last August's offensive or even in January's offensive, but not likely in another offensive.
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    Rodinazombie wrote:

Some options:

Two of those statements are true to a certain extent,

1) the ua army has much more experience now and has been kinda 'trained' by the us. We all saw how useful US equipment and training was in iraq though, so i wouldnt count on US training to make the difference.

2) they suffered a lot of casualties over the winter, but there been plenty of replacements and if you have seen the photos and videos of them training, they have a lot of equipment and look pretty good. Some of the good leadership has gone but that may lead to a more unified structure. I dont believe that NAF is weaker, on the contrary its probably stronger than ever. Though morally it will start to weaken until the people behind reason number (3) change their minds.

3) this is the most important one, its quite clear that the ones holding back NAF are located east of novorossia. Until they get the green light (if ever), then this wont change.

Last edited by Rodinazombie on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    whir

Post  whir Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:Also, the US arms and trains Kiev's military.
    Training a few hundred members of NG is not training the army but a political move.

Flagship Victory wrote:Russia does not do that for NAF.
    Then WTF are those huge combined arms exercises we have seen lately from NAF?
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:43 pm

whir wrote:
    Flagship Victory wrote:Also, the US arms and trains Kiev's military.
    Training a few hundred members of NG is not training the army but a political move.

Flagship Victory wrote:Russia does not do that for NAF.
    Then WTF are those huge combined arms exercises we have seen lately from NAF?

I also remember photos that showed up on mp.net showing seps on an airfield with clearly russian helicopters in the background. I doubt they were there dropping in for a cup of tea and biscuits.

Anyone have those photos to hand?
    Khepesh
    Khepesh

Post  Khepesh Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 pm

The "cunning plan". It does not exist, it never existed, perhaps it exists now, I do not know. What happened in Kiev last year was a surprise, Putin himself has said so and that the operation to secure Crimea was "made on the hoof", and very cleverly. I suspect it was thought that the uprisings in Donbass, particulary Kharkov, would succeed and that Ukraine would have collapsed at that point, and from there we can only guess at what would have unfolded. That Kharkov did not fall will have been a surprise and is probably the reason we are now in difficulty. Some plan was of course developed, but rushed and perhaps with only the intention of trying to stabilise the situation, not accomplish any long term strategic objectives at that point. Slavyansk was a brilliant operation to distract attention and allow defensive forces to be formed to allow Donetsk and Lugansk to survive at least in the short term. So, what can we see as any sort of plan? Well it is clear from voentorg and what happened last August and at Debaltsevo that Donbass will not be merged. From this I suspect that it is hoped that Kiev will realise that they have lost at least Donetsk and Lugansk, and will find a way to save face and withdraw. Enter Washington, again, and irrationality enters and upsets everything. Yes, I see that to sit and wait for Kiev to collapse and then pick up the pieces is a good plan, but it is predicated on Kiev actually collapsing. Until the end of last year I went with this, but not now, I do not see Kiev being allowed to collapse, no matter what the cost, as having what is left of Ukraine as an American colony is far too important to loose. I know that there is the argument to sit and wait as time is on our side, and again I went with this until the end of last year, but my comments about Washington not wanting to loose the possibility of gaining Ukraine negate that view and I now that think that time is not on our side, but on that of Washington and that the later we leave this, then the worse the outcome. One aspect I will dismiss, and that is what the west thinks, and that eventually the west will see Kiev for what it is and throw them. The west does not think about Ukraine, it does not care. They have been told that Russia has invaded Ukraine and that Russia is Soviet Union v2.0 and that is what they will continue to believe so waiting for them to "see the light", is futile. The other aspect that we can sort of see, and presume is the plan, is to sit and wait for Kiev to collapse, yet what happens when days pass to weeks to months to a year or more, and no collapse? What other plan is there, anything other than simply hoping EU will wake up and stop taking orders from washington, do not bet on this. Hoping that Kiev will collapse, well, maybe, but anything seen to say this is likely, not that I see, only continued and increasing support from Washington. If the "cunning plan" is sit and wait, then we wait for US Army to return in strength to Europe, and they already negotiate to do this, and I believe that no matter what happens in Ukraine we will soon have coldwar v2.0. Personally I actually admire Putin, I think he is by far the best leader of any country, but he is not God, and I think he is in a bind over Ukraine and struggles to find a solution. I don't think waiting is the solution and I do not think that an operation to push back ukrops artillery from Donetsk will cause any more problems than there are already other than wailing and gnawing, let them.

Last edited by Khepesh on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    whir

Post  whir Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Rodinazombie wrote:Anyone have those photos to hand?
    I don't have them but if I remember correctly those were from the training prior to the offensive in Rostov.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm