Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+56
calripson
Morpheus Eberhardt
magnumcromagnon
navyfield
collegeboy16
Hannibal Barca
Vann7
zg18
Dima
Arrow
Mindstorm
Notio
SU-41
AlfaT8
Flanky
NationalRus
Flyingdutchman
xeno
Hachimoto
eridan
dino00
KomissarBojanchev
Cyberspec
Mr.Kalishnikov47
psg
TheRealist
harsh
Shadåw
Sujoy
medo
coolieno99
gloriousfatherland
flamming_python
Firebird
TheArmenian
TR1
George1
GarryB
ahmedfire
runaway
Pervius
PAVN
nightcrawler
Serbia Forever 2
Russian Patriot
IronsightSniper
Austin
Farhad Gulemov
KRON1
sepheronx
Viktor
Jelena
Stealthflanker
RuStepan
Vladislav
Admin
60 posters

Russian Navy: Status & News #1

Farhad Gulemov
    Farhad Gulemov

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #1

Post  Farhad Gulemov Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 pm

GarryB wrote:It seems there is a Somali report that the Russians shot those pirates they captured instead of releasing them.

Very dubious - this was a high visibility, very mediatized, operation and I am quite sure that the captain of that ship had very specific orders. As for special operators, they will only kill if given the order. They are pros, not William Calley in My Lai Wink

But, as far as I know, the assault force was Naval Infantry. Does anybody have details about this?

GarryB wrote:BTW here is a link to that Video I was talking about:
    [url=http://www.youtube com/watch?v=IldNCez8KeI&feature=related]http://www.youtube com/watch?v=IldNCez8KeI&feature=related[/url]

Thanks!!!
    Admin
    Admin

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #1

Post  Admin Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 pm

If the Somalis were all executed, who is left to report it?
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Fri May 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:If the Somalis were all executed, who is left to report it?

NATO as usual Mad
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat May 15, 2010 2:11 am

So here is what really happened...

Dealing With Pirates the Russian Way

Ten pirates captured by the Russian navy last week near Somalia were put in an inflatable boat without navigational equipment and cast adrift in the Indian Ocean last Friday. They are now presumed dead, according to Russian officials.

The official told the Russian press that after an hour, radar contact with the boat was lost and the pirates “apparently” had all died. He did not elaborate. Commentators are speculating what may have really happened, especially since the Russian president last week indicated severe punishment for the pirates, saying, “We will have to act as our forefathers did when they met pirates.” The Defense Ministry said last Friday that plans changed from a trial in Moscow to release on the ocean due to shortcomings of international law.

A spokesman of Navfor, the EU’s naval force in Somalia, warned not to jump to conclusions, saying to BBC that it was impossible to say anything without knowing more details of the boat, the weather, and other factors.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/35219/
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat May 15, 2010 4:06 am

These guys are not the pirates we see in hollywood movies, and they are not soldiers in an army.
    They are not fishermen either.
    They might have started out being fishermen but once you take up arms and threaten to kill for money then the way you should be treated becomes very different in my book.

Equally it is not like these guys happened to be nearby and were picked up by accident because they happened to be nearby... these guys were caught on the job... there is no question of guilt.

I would not condone shooting them, but setting them adrift in a boat is perfectly acceptable to me. If they really are fishermen then from the position of the sun and the stars they will know which way they need to go.

If they are just criminals then there are 10 less criminals in that part of the ocean.

Sounds like it is time to look at international law at sea perhaps?
    Farhad Gulemov
    Farhad Gulemov

Post  Farhad Gulemov Sat May 15, 2010 7:13 pm

GarryB wrote:
    Equally it is not like these guys happened to be nearby and were picked up by accident because they happened to be nearby... these guys were caught on the job... there is no question of guilt. I would not condone shooting them, but setting them adrift in a boat is perfectly acceptable to me. Sounds like it is time to look at international law at sea perhaps?

I feel exactly the same way. However, I am also told by one friend that these guys are desperate and that since their country has been totally messed up by the "Axis of Goodness" I suppose that I feel sorry that they get shafted, while their patrons away, who make most of the money for sure, continue sitting in air conditioned offices puffing at their cigars. Kidnappping is a major ugly crime and its not like I feel heartbroken for these guys, but yes, it probably would be best to look at what the law of the sea says about such circumstances. I took a quick look on the web and it appears that there is really no universal law which would make it possible to punish these guys. These guys are not POWs, but I suppose that the Common Article 3 of the Geneva conventions still applies to them, along with the Convention against Torture, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and a couple of other such universal instruments. Putting them back in a inflatable boat and saying "good-bye" is therefore probably totally legal.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 16, 2010 4:07 am

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a joke.
    One of its rules is that you can't just go searching people to find evidence of illegal activity, you have to have a specific reason for the search.
    This makes profiling illegal and it also makes Echelon illegal.
    Basing international law on systems that are violated every day by the states that created them is not good.

I too think these guys are getting screwed, but if they think that gives them the right to screw others they can think again.

If it only cost the insurance companies money then I would think what they were doing was justified, but in the end the insurance companies are not going to wear the cost themselves... they pass it on in increased premiums and we all pay because shipping goods suddenly costs more.
    Farhad Gulemov
    Farhad Gulemov

Post  Farhad Gulemov Sun May 16, 2010 3:37 pm

GarryB wrote:The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a joke.
    One of its rules is that you can't just go searching people to find evidence of illegal activity, you have to have a specific reason for the search.
    This makes profiling illegal and it also makes Echelon illegal.
    Basing international law on systems that are violated every day by the states that created them is not good.

BEGIN Off Topic I submit that dismissing a law on the basis that it is systematically violated by hypocrits who pretend to uphold it is not logical; the issue are the hypocrits, not the law itself. By your logic democracy is a joke because it is abused, manipulated and debased by the SOBs which claim not only to uphold it, but to actually promote and export it. That kind of logic give the power to the worst of humanity to discredit anything it does not wish to abide by. Then what do you suggest you base international law on - that which thugs and imperialists really endorse and live by? Wink END Off Topic

Actually, customary law would allow for the summary execution of pirates. Many countries did that in the past.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Dealing With Pirates the Russian Way

Post  GarryB Mon May 17, 2010 2:53 am

BEGIN Off Topic I submit that dismissing a law on the basis that it is systematically violated by hypocrits who pretend to uphold it is not logical;

It becomes more logical when you include the fact that all the hypocrites who violate it are the ones who created it and expect others to follow it when even they can't.

the issue are the hypocrits, not the law itself.

The issue is with both. The hypocracy of trying to enforce a set of rules they can't follow themselves... I mentioned Echelon, but Guantanimo and rendition blow the UDHR to small pieces, and a set of rules so called civilised countries can't follow that can be used for poor undeveloped savages... it is just a joke... and actually quite wrong at a very basic level.

]By your logic democracy is a joke because it is abused, manipulated and debased by the SOBs which claim not only to uphold it, but to actually promote and export it.

Democracy is a joke. Look at the US, there are the Democrats and the Republicans. Since when did democracy mean two choices where both choices are slightly right of centre? Democracy is supposed to be about serving the people and free choice, but once in power they can do pretty much as they like because you can't remove them unless they do something really stupid.

Some people say communism is Stalins communism. Others say true communism has never been tried. I say Democracy has never been tried either. If you examine American democracy carefully you will see it is actually a lot more complicated than it needs to be and most of the complication is to fix the results. It takes the US longer to have an election than India does and the US only has two parties!

That kind of logic give the power to the worst of humanity to discredit anything it does not wish to abide by.

Humanity was never asked about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. A bunch of one eyed inbreds who call themselves the first world... as opposed to the commies in eastern europe who are the second world and anyone else that is not included in the largely white western world which is the third world, got together and made up some nice moral sounding rules... and broke them just as quickly.
    It is not about the rules, it is about the real seperation between the first, second, and third world... the difference is wealth. Morally the difference is large on paper but tiny in practise and this shows it nicely.

Then what do you suggest you base international law on - that which thugs and imperialists really endorse and live by? Wink END Off Topic

First of all I think international law should be created by an international body like the UN, rather than the US and some rich country lackeys.
    The morals might not be so high, but they will likely be more practical.

Actually, customary law would allow for the summary execution of pirates. Many countries did that in the past.

Yes... walking the plank, or being left on some deserted island, or the most common hanging them from a yard arm... or worst of all the Gibbet. Shocked

Back on topic, I do remember seeing a design of a trimaran with three hulls, like a boat with two outriggers and on the large flat area with the outriggers there was a large landing pad for a large helo and forward of that and rear of that were two more areas for helos that were smaller.
    The triple hull should make it stable and fast and you could put a KAHTAN-M module at the nose and rear of the vessel, that would be 64 missiles in total that could be used against boats and 4 x 30mm 6 barrel gatling guns, which should be enough in addition to small arms and a few 50 or 57 calibre HMGs on pintle mounts and maybe a KORNET or ATAKA.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Russian warships to base in Djibouti port to fight piracy

Post  Russian Patriot Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Russian warships to base in Djibouti port to fight piracy
    RIA Novosti

16/05/201023:51

DJIBOUTI, May 16 (RIA Novosti) - The republic of Djibouti, located in the Horn of Africa, will provide its port for Russian Navy to fight piracy, Djibouti Navy official representative said at a reception at the Russian embassy.

"We are ready to provide our port for ships of the Russian Navy, which are fighting piracy in the region," he said adding that the port has all essential infrastructures.

The Russian task force comprising the RFS Marshal Shaposhnikov, the MB-37 salvage tug and the Pechenga tanker arrived in the Gulf of Aden on March 29 to join the anti-piracy mission in the region.

Somali pirates carried out a record number of attacks and hijackings in 2009. According to the International Maritime Bureau Piracy Reporting Center, a total of 217 vessels were attacked last year, resulting in 47 hijackings.

Last week Russia had to release ten pirates captured during an operation to free its Moscow University tanker, citing a lack of proper international legal base to carry out prosecution procedures against pirates.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100516-rianovosti01.htm

Last edited by Russian Patriot on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed May 19, 2010 12:58 am

That article shows an offer to the Russian navy for port facilities they can use, what it doesn't say is that the Russians have actually agreed to use them.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Russian warships complete drills in Sea of Japan!

Post  Russian Patriot Thu May 20, 2010 1:36 am

Russian warships complete drills in Sea of Japan

RIA Novosti

19/05/201021:00

MOSCOW, May 19 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's nuclear-powered guided-missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky completed on Wednesday a series of three-day naval exercises in the Sea of Japan, the Defense Ministry said.

It said the Northern Fleet's cruiser had taken part in combined-arms maneuvers with a naval group from Russia's Pacific Fleet that started on Monday.

The group included the Varyag guided-missile cruiser, the Admiral Panteleyev destroyer, the Bystry destroyer, and a number of guided-missile boats, as well as naval aircraft.

On May 12, the Pyotr Veliky and the Moskva guided-missile cruiser, the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, completed joint exercises in the South China Sea.

The two vessels are due to arrive in Russia's Far Eastern port of Vladivostok in June-July to take part in the Vostok-2010 large-scale strategic exercise. The exact date of the drills is yet to be announced.

Russia announced in 2007 that it was building up its naval presence across the world. Foreign port calls by Russian warships have become more frequent.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100519-rianovosti01.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Russian warship to join NATO naval drills!

Post  Russian Patriot Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:26 am

Russian warship to join NATO naval drills

RIA Novosti

11:57 01/06/2010

KALININGRAD, June 1 (RIA Novosti) - An amphibious assault landing ship, the Kaliningrad, will take part in the BALTOPS-2010 naval exercises in the Baltic Sea on June 7-18, Russia's Baltic Fleet spokesman said on Tuesday.

The BALTOPS exercise has been held annually since 1994 within the framework of the NATO Partnership for Peace Program. It is aimed to promote a mutual understanding of maritime interoperability between U.S. Navy, NATO, and non-NATO participants.

"The [Kaliningrad] amphibious assault landing ship will carry out a range of training tasks, including joint maneuvering in a large ship formation, patrol missions and a simulated assault landing," the official said.

The vessel is currently heading to the port of Gdansk in Poland, where several dozen warships from 14 NATO countries will team up for the upcoming exercises.

The Russian warship visited the Belgian port of Zeebrugge in the North Sea on its way to Poland.

The Kaliningrad entered service with the Baltic Fleet in December 1984, and has carried out training missions in the Baltic, North and Mediterranean seas, as well as more than 10 times in the Atlantic Ocean.

Kaliningrad class ships are capable of carrying up to 500 tons of cargo, 13 tanks and more than 200 naval infantry.

The warship represented Russia at the BALTOPS drills five times since 2003.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100601-rianovosti01.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Russian, Norwegian warships conduct live fire drills at Pomor-2010!

Post  Russian Patriot Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:17 am

Russian, Norwegian warships conduct live fire drills at Pomor-2010

RIA Novosti

18:29 08/06/2010 MURMANSK, June 8 (RIA Novosti) - Russian and Norwegian warships practiced firing live artillery rounds at simulated surface and aerial targets during the first stage of the Pomor-2010 naval exercises, Russia's Northern Fleet spokesman said on Tuesday.

The Russian Northern Fleet and the Norwegian Navy are conducting the joint drills from June 7-11 in the Barents and Norwegian Seas.

"The Russian and Norwegian ships have started practicing a wide range of drills on communications, navigation, maneuvering and coordinated firing at various targets," Vadim Serga said.

The four-stage exercise also includes anti-submarine warfare drills, anti-piracy operations, and search-and-rescue missions.

The Norwegian Navy is represented by guided missile frigate Otto Sverdrup, Coast Guard ship Nordkapp, the Orion patrol aircraft, F-16 fighters and Lynx helicopters, while Russia's Northern Fleet is represented by the Severomorsk destroyer, Il-38 ASW aircraft, Su-33 fighters and a Ka-27 naval helicopter.

Intensive combat training and a continued presence in the world's oceans are priorities for the Russian Navy.

In the second half of 2010, Russian warships will take part in a number of large-scale naval drills, continue patrolling the pirate-infested waters off the Somali coast and make about 50 foreign port calls.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2010/06/mil-100608-rianovosti05.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Russia set to use naval pilot training facilities in Ukraine

Post  Russian Patriot Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 am

Russia set to use naval pilot training facilities in Ukraine

RIA Novosti

11:05 25/06/2010 MOSCOW, June 25 (RIA Novosti) - Russia will use facilities on Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula for naval pilot training in the next few years, the Russian defense minister said on Friday.

In line with a 1997 bilateral agreement, Russia used the Nitka Naval Pilot Training Center in Ukraine as the only training facility for its naval pilots, but Kiev has been less willing to allow Russian pilots to train at the facility in the past few years and, according to some sources, was even planning to rent it to China.

"Russia is interested in the continuation of its naval pilot training at this [the Nitka] facility," Anatoly Serdyukov said after a session of a Russian-Ukrainian sub-committee on security.

The Russian minister said Moscow and Kiev were preparing an agreement on the conditions of a new rental deal.

The Nitka Center was built in the Soviet era for pilots to practice their skills in taking off from and landing on an aircraft carrier's deck.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, the facility remained under Ukrainian jurisdiction. The Ukrainian Navy does not have an aircraft carrier.

The center provides naval aviation training facilities such as a launch pad, an aerofinisher, a trampoline, a catapult launching device, a glide-path localizer, a marker beacon, and an optical landing system.

Meanwhile, Moscow has announced plans to start construction of a naval pilot training facility on the Sea of Azov in southern Russia in 2010.

The new center will be built at an old airfield near the town of Eisk on the Sea of Azov, which is separated from the Black Sea by the Kerch Strait between the Crimean and Taman peninsulas.

According to the head of Russia's naval pilot training, Col. Alexander Mudrenov, the new center will cost some 24 billion rubles ($730 million) and will take two years to complete.

Russia, which has only one aircraft carrier - the Admiral Kuznetsov - is aiming to finish drafting plans for a new nuclear-powered aircraft carrier for its Navy by 2012 and build at least three of the ships for its Northern and Pacific fleets.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2010/06/mil-100625-rianovosti07.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:48 am

Russian destroyer joins UN anti-piracy mission off Somalia

RIA Novosti

09:17 03/07/2010

MOSCOW, July 3 (RIA Novosti) - Russia’s Admiral Levchenko destroyer arrived in the Gulf of Aden on Saturday to resume a UN anti-piracy mission off the coast of Somalia, a Defense Ministry statement said.

The previous task force was led by the Udaloy-class guided-missile destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov, which took part in freeing the Russian Moscow University tanker hijacked on May 6 by Somali pirates.

“The Admiral Levchenko has arrived in the Gulf of Aden. The task force also includes the Olekma tanker and the tugboat SB-36 [of Russia's Black Sea Fleet],” the statement said.

The Russian Navy has maintained a presence off the Horn of Africa with warships operating on a rotation basis. Russia joined international anti-piracy efforts off the Somali coast in October 2008.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100703-rianovosti02.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Two Russian ships leave Far East to participate in S. Korean drills!

Post  Russian Patriot Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Two Russian ships leave Far East to participate in S. Korean drills

RIA Novosti

04:50 04/07/2010

VLADIVOSTOK, July 4 (RIA Novosti) - Two Russian vessels from the Russian Far Eastern regions of Primorye and Sakhalin left the port of Vladivostok early on Sunday to take part in anti-terrorist and rescue exercises in South Korea.

The Russian FSB patrol ship Herluf Bidstrup with a Ka-27 helicopter on board and the Boug Coast Guard ship will take part in a joint exercise on July 7 in the Sea of Japan to train anti-piracy, anti-smuggling, and anti-terror efforts near the Mukho harbor in South Korea's Donghae City.

"Two Russian and three South Korean ships, two helicopters from the Russian FSB and South Korean National Marine Police Agency, two boats and a group of special forces from both sides will participate in the drills," the regional Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) border guards department spokesman said.

The participants will train how to cooperate in combating against illegal activities at sea, such as searching for, trailing and detaining a ship seized by terrorists, disarming criminals and freeing hostages, as well as rescuing people at sea and extinguishing fires on board caused by a bomb blast.

The drills will be held during the Russian Coast Guard's visit to South Korea on July 6-9.

The Russian delegation will be led by the head of the FSB's Coast Guard department, Col. Gen. Viktor Trufanov.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100704-rianovosti03.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Russian Navy expands anti-piracy mission in Gulf of Aden
    RIA Novosti

20:24 09/07/2010

MOSCOW, July 9 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Navy has extended the convoy route in the pirate-infested Gulf of Aden to 380 kilometers, the Pacific Fleet commander said on Friday.

Adm. Konstantin Sidenko said in an interview with RIA Novosti that the decision was made following the hijacking of the Moscow University tanker in May.

"There is an international, so-called green, three-point corridor where we escort [commercial] vessels. After that incident we extended the route, moving further from the coast and now the convoy route is 200 nautical miles, or nearly 380 kilometers," he said.

He also said naval infantry teams board Russian as well as foreign vessels with Russian crews when they pass through the Gulf of Aden to protect them against pirate attacks.

He stressed that Russia and China are the only two countries at present that escort civilian vessels in the Horn of Africa.

"All other members of the international anti-piracy coalition operate in designated areas and respond on an as-needed basis," the admiral said. "In other words, our tactics are the safest for the convoy vessels."

He said convoys are on average comprised of 10-20 vessels.

"Whoever comes along, we don't turn them away, but ours are the most sought-after convoys," he said.

A task force led by the RFNS DDG Admiral Levchenko, an Udaloy-class guided-missile destroyer, arrived in the Gulf of Aden on July 3 to resume the UN anti-piracy mission near Somalia. It also includes the Olekma tanker and the SB-36 tugboat of Russia's Black Sea Fleet.

The previous task force was led by the RFNS DDG Marshal Shaposhnikov that took part in releasing the Moscow University tanker hijacked on May 6.

The Russian Navy has maintained a presence off the Horn of Africa with warships operating on a rotation basis. Russia joined international anti-piracy efforts off the Somali coast in October 2008.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100709-rianovosti01.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Russia sends warship to international naval drills in N.Atlantic

RIA Novosti

16:13 09/07/2010

MURMANSK, July 9 (RIA Novosti) - The Severomorsk guided-missile destroyer from Russia's Northern Fleet set sail Friday for British shores to team up with NATO warships in an international naval exercise in the North Atlantic, a fleet spokesman said.

The Russian Navy earlier said the Frukus 2010 exercise will be held on July 22-25.

The annual exercises, which traditionally involve France, Russia, Britain and the United States, practice interoperability for future joint operations under a UN mandate.

Previously called RUKUS, the exercises were launched in 1988 to promote dialogue between the Soviet Union, Britain, and the United States. The name was changed to FRUKUS in 2003, when France formally joined the group.

Severomorsk is an Udaloy-class guided-missile destroyer armed with anti-ship missiles, 30-mm and 100-mm guns, and two Ka-27 Helix helicopters.

The Frukus 2009 drills saw the Severomorsk join forces with the French Tourville frigate, the guided-missile frigate USS Klakring and the destroyer HMS York.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100709-rianovosti04.htm
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty Caspian Flotilla to retain independent status - Russian Navy

Post  Russian Patriot Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:35 am

Caspian Flotilla to retain independent status - Russian Navy

RIA Novosti

16:34 23/07/2010

MOSCOW, July 23 (RIA Novosti) - The Caspian Flotilla will retain its independent status in the process of Russian military reform, a high-ranking Navy official said on Friday.

Earlier Russian media that the Caspian Flotilla could lose its independent status and would be placed under the operational command of the Russian Black Fleet.

"There will not be any structural changes," the official said.

On July 14, President Dmitry Medvedev issued a decree establishing four strategic commands in the Armed Forces and an integrated logistic support system.

Russia's six military districts will be reorganized into four with four respective strategic commands.

The Moscow and Leningrad military districts will be merged into the Western Military District (West Strategic Command) and will also include the Northern and Baltic Fleets.

The North Caucasus Military District will be changed to the South Military District (South Strategic Command) and will include the Black Sea Fleet.

The Volga-Urals Military District and the western part of the Siberian Military District will be merged to form the Central Military District (Center Strategic Command).

The remaining part of the Siberian Military District will be merged with the Far East Military District into the East Military District (East Strategic Command) and will include the Pacific Fleet.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-100723-rianovosti02.htm
    Admin
    Admin

Russian Navy: Status & News #1 - Page 4 Empty The French saved the Russian officer

Post  Admin Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:45 am

The French saved the Russian officer

Russian Foreign Ministry expressed its gratitude to the Government of France, the French military and civilian organizations for helping officer
    2010-10-15 / Viktor Litovkin

Russian Foreign Ministry expressed its gratitude to the Government of France, the French military and civilian organizations for helping an officer of a large anti-submarine ship Admiral Levchenko, who needed urgent surgery. Reported by the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

"September 20 - it said - it was reported that one of the officers of a large anti-submarine ship Admiral Levchenko Northern Fleet of Russia, conducting patrols in the Gulf of Aden, a senior lieutenant Radhika Buharmetovu for health needs emergency hospitalization. The patient's condition was extremely grave. " (According to our records, he had an acute inflammation of the pancreas. - VL) At the request of commanders of the Navy Russian Foreign Ministry immediately requested the assistance of French authorities, who immediately gave the necessary orders to its military and diplomatic representatives in Djibouti - the nearest point to the location of our battleships.

In close coordination with the Russian Embassy in Djibouti was organized by the delivery of patient French Air Force helicopter to the hospital the French armed forces on the basis of the French Navy in Djibouti, where he was made a few steps. When there was a shortage of blood of rare groups, one member of the hospital staff invited the donor. "Willingness to become donors expressed working in Djibouti Russian citizens, as well as the crew of a hospital ship" Rainbow World "Chinese Navy, who was at that time in the waters of Djibouti", - said in a statement the Foreign Ministry. After providing necessary medical care has improved the status of lieutenant, allowing Oct. 6 to take him by plane to Moscow, the Russian Air Force and placed in the Main Military Clinical Hospital named after Burdenko for further treatment and rehabilitation of health. And as reported by "IEE" Head of the Burdenko hospital, medical service Colonel Igor Maksimov, and now the patient's condition stabilized, Radik Buharmetov on the mend.
    Austin

Post  Austin Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Russian Navy to standardize its warships and submarines

On October 29, 2010 saw the launch of the Admiral Sergei Gorshkov class frigate, the lead ship under the Navy's Project 22350. This is the first Russian capital warship designed and launched after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Russia's naval ship-building program is gradually gaining momentum. The keels of numerous warships and submarines have already been laid, and many other ships are in the design phase. Taken together, this gives us a peek into the future of the Russian Navy for the next 10, 15 and even 20 years.

So, what will it look like?

Before I get to specific warships and submarines, I should note the current trend of naval development is completely different than the trend 30-35 years ago.

What we are seeing is maximum standardization in warship and submarine designs. They all begin with a few base platforms, and from there standard equipment is added depending on the function of the warship.

This same goes for the submarine fleet. The pressure hulls of new strategic ballistic-missile submarines and attack submarines are assembled using standardized sections.

The submarines have standard propulsion units, as well as similar sonars and radio-electronic equipment. Essentially, they differ only in terms of their main armament.

Strategic ballistic-missile submarines are equipped with silos which will house RSM-56 SS-NX-32 submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), while attack submarines will feature multi-purpose launchers for various types of cruise missiles.

The warships currently being developed also use standardized propulsion units, launchers, radio-electronic equipment, etc.

The Soviet Union had realized the need for standardization by the early 1980s. At the time, its vast navy was a motley assortment of warships and submarines with limited production runs and drastically different armament and equipment.

This made it extremely difficult to service, repair and resupply warships and submarines and to train their crews. Standardized warships, which began to be developed in the 1980s, were expected to help overhaul the navy by the mid 1990s and early 2000s. However, these plans were not realized for obvious reasons.

Russia had inherited a scaled-down version of the Soviet navy, which was hard to service and even harder to adapt to meet new challenges. The government worked to upgrade the navy throughout the 2000s.

The submarine fleet is the backbone of the navy

Analysts and high-ranking Defense Ministry officials believe that the submarine fleet is still the backbone of the Russian Navy, and that it will continue to play this role in the future.

Most important are the strategic nuclear forces accounting for 700-750 out of the 1,500 strategic nuclear warheads, which Russia plans to keep until the late 2010s.

Barring experimental submarines and special-purpose submarines, which are traditionally veiled in secrecy, the Russian Navy will continue to receive two types of nuclear-powered submarines and two types of diesel-electric submarines in the next few years. The latter are more frequently called non-nuclear submarines featuring next-generation propulsion units.

Eight Project 955 Borei class ballistic-missile submarines will form the foundation of the navy's strategic nuclear forces. The first submarine is currently being tested, three more are under construction, and the keels of four other submarines are to be laid in the next five to six years.

The success of this project depends on the prompt completion of Bulava missile tests and the missile's subsequent adoption. This is a priority of the government. Hopefully, the various design problems will be solved soon.

In the next few decades, the navy will operate Project 885 Yasen (Graney class) attack submarines. The lead submarine, the Severodvinsk, was launched in the summer of 2010.

These heavily armed and extremely costly submarines are expected to replace 15 Project 671 Victor class, Project 945 Sierra I class and Project 949-A Oscar II submarines dating back to the Soviet period in the course of the next 15 years.

They are to replace the 12 aging Project 971 Akula class submarines after 2025.

One Project 885 submarine is currently being built. The keels of another six submarines are to be laid in the next six to seven years. In all, 10 to 12 Yasen submarines are to be constructed by 2025.

The expensive Project 885 submarines are frequently derided as a luxury in the media, and Moscow is encouraged to follow the example of the United States.

In effect, Washington has scrapped the ambitious SSN-21 Sea Wolf attack submarine program, designed as a response to the Soviet Akula class submarines, because of its prohibitive costs. Instead, the U.S. Navy has started building the much smaller Virginia class submarines.

Moscow clearly thinks that it would be too risky and expensive to design a new submarine now. Consequently, new Yasen submarines will be built, and operational ones upgraded.

The Russian Navy had problems developing the new Project 677 Lada diesel-electric submarines, whereas Project 877 Paltus (Kilo class) submarines continued to age rapidly. As a result, the Navy had to order upgraded Project 636-M (Kilo class) submarines once again. In August 2010, the keel of a lead Project 636-M submarine was laid for the Black Sea Fleet.

Over the next decade, the Navy will replace obsolete Paltus submarines with improved models, while continuing to upgrade the Lada submarine. The Navy is to operate four to five Ladas, as well as 9-12 upgraded and 5-6 obsolete Paltus submarines.

Renovating the warship fleet

The Russian Navy is in critical condition. Nowhere is this truer than in its warship fleet.

The Russian warship fleet has become obsolete and needs to be completely replaced because it did not receive even the meager replacements and allocations given to the submarine fleet in the past 20 years.

The Defense Ministry has shown a preference for the cautious but probably correct strategy of renovating the warship fleet from the bottom up. This involves the construction of small and relatively cheap warships, which will eventually be followed by larger, more sophisticated and expensive ships.

A Project 20380 Steregushchy class corvette is the first production warship to enter service with an overhauled Navy. The lead ship has already been commissioned. One more has been launched, and three more are under construction.

Moreover, construction has begun on ocean-going warships, namely, Project 22350 Admiral Sergei Gorshkov frigates.

These are the first post-Soviet capital warships. Once this ship-building program got underway, it became obvious that these sophisticated and expensive ships would delay the fleet's renovation.

Consequently, it was decided to expedite the process and to begin construction on the Project 11356 Talwar class frigates, which are on a par with the new warships. Russia has already built several such ships for the Indian Navy.

These frigates should have the same interchangeable components - including equipment and main weapons systems - as next-generation warships. Eight next-generation frigates, as well as the same number of Project 11356 warships, are to be commissioned in the next ten years.

The Russian Navy is to receive 30 frigates and 30 corvettes in the next 20 years.

Frigates will be followed by even larger warships. It is no secret that Russia has almost finished designing a next-generation destroyer, with a displacement of 10,000 metric tons. The new warship is to be equipped with standard launchers, a standard information-and-control system and other interchangeable equipment.

Corvettes, frigates and next-generation destroyers will form the backbone of the Navy's warship fleet in the next 20-30 years.

Without these new ships, it would be pointless to buy French-made Mistral class amphibious assault ships, to build them in Russia, to overhaul and refit the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier and to build other aircraft carriers.

The views expressed in this article are the author's and do not necessarily represent those of RIA Novosti.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm

Any one of us could have wrote such article, nothing new there.
    IronsightSniper
    IronsightSniper

Post  IronsightSniper Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:45 am

Problem is why is Vlad bored enough to do all that?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 am

Actually I appreciated Vlad doing that, it makes things a lot clearer.

The extra effort of putting in all those drawings is also helpful as I have a few books that describe various potential boats that don't have drawings or much detail.

It is certainly clear that the Navy needs a lot of work, and I think a smaller, more efficient navy is probably more important to Russia as a global power than all those tanks she has.

Superpowers in the last century or so get their global reach from their navies. It is not about being a bully, or rattling the sabre... it is about having substance behind the words... Russia found during the Kosovo crisis... as did the US find during the war in Georgia in 2008 that if you can't project power by air or sea or land then you are a spectator.
    Of course in the case of Kosovo land and air routes were clearly blocked by "new europe". A naval presence might have had an effect if there had been something that could be sent to stay for the two months it took.
    For the US, they had the navy, they just didn't have the access.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 pm