Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+80
galicije83
Russian_Patriot_
Kiko
thegopnik
TMA1
lyle6
Tai Hai Chen
limb
LMFS
Dima
ult
kvs
Rodion_Romanovic
Mindstorm
PhSt
PapaDragon
AMCXXL
Hole
marcellogo
dino00
The-thing-next-door
Cheetah
Isos
Firebird
George1
T-47
Tsavo Lion
Airman
Cyrus the great
coolieno99
miketheterrible
KoTeMoRe
Svyatoslavich
d_taddei2
JohninMK
A1RMAN
SeigSoloyvov
Project Canada
hoom
Big_Gazza
Zivo
zg18
archangelski
NEURONAV
max steel
nemrod
AK-Rex
Book.
DerWolf
andreyRUS
Flyboy77
zackyx
Berkut
2SPOOKY4U
GunshipDemocracy
magnumcromagnon
franco
collegeboy16
Asf
marauderxs
calripson
CaptainPakistan
Flanky
TheArmenian
flamming_python
mack8
KomissarBojanchev
AlfaT8
Sujoy
Austin
Werewolf
Vympel
Viktor
medo
TR1
Russian Patriot
ak74m
Cyberspec
GarryB
Admin
84 posters

Mi-28N Havoc: News

GarryB
    GarryB

Mi-28N Havoc: News - Page 10 Empty Re: Mi-28N Havoc: News

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:24 am

Didn't Soviet fighters have gun cameras in WWII that were used to confirm if a pilot had actually killed an enemy plane?

AFAIK yes they did, but they would be film cameras rather than digital cameras with digital memory and monitors for playback on the ground.

Though, my point was that, interestingly, neither the altimeter, nor the other MFCD are displaying info. Usually, once the batteries have been switched on, some basic, analogue instruments fire up with it. And, depending on the aircraft, you would have all MFCDs fire up as well.

You are assuming they have to boot up all systems just to activate one monitor and the memory of the recorded mission.

A modern attack helo like a Ka-52 probably has multiple computers that are linked via a network, but likely can operate separately too.

never the less. I am just pointing this out because I noticed it in the background and enjoy the odd debunking here and there. not because I have any particular angle I am trying to push.

The camera view we are looking at seems fixed and could have been edited... I am sure before being allowed to release this on the internet some people probably had to censor it first and they might have altered or changed some footage for whatever purpose.

If they really wanted to fake something they could easily have zoomed right in and just had the footage visible without a view of the cockpit...
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:01 pm

GarryB wrote:
    Didn't Soviet fighters have gun cameras in WWII that were used to confirm if a pilot had actually killed an enemy plane?

AFAIK yes they did, but they would be film cameras rather than digital cameras with digital memory and monitors for playback on the ground.

Well regardless they are probably there for the same purpose. To keep track of the aircrafts activity.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:03 am

It would be for reviewing the mission and comparing with the pilots report.

Footage can be closely examined to determine if the attacks were effective and follow up recon can determine how effective the attacks were and whether follow up attacks are needed or not.

Such footage can be used for training as well as performance evaluation.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Russia’s Aerospace Force to get most advanced attack helicopters by yearend

Now a pre-production batch is underway

ROSTOV-ON-DON, March 6. /TASS/. Two most advanced Mil Mi-28NM serial-produced attack helicopters will arrive for Russian troops by the end of 2018, Russian Helicopters Group CEO Andrei Boginsky said on Tuesday.

"Now a pre-production batch is underway and the contract is due to be completed in November this year. Correspondingly, we are complying with the schedule. So far, two helicopters are stipulated in the contract," the rotorcraft manufacturer’s chief executive said, responding to the corresponding question from TASS.

Russia started developing the Mi-28NM helicopter in 2009. Its modernized version considerably differs from its prototype. The Mi-28NM will feature an innovative helmet-mounted target designation and display system as part of its onboard radar equipment.

The helicopter is furnished with the N025 all-round surveillance radar and a new electronic warfare system. The gunship is designed to search for and destroy low-speed air targets, tanks, armored and non-armored hardware and enemy manpower day and night and in any weather conditions.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/992921
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 pm

The helicopter is furnished with the N025 all-round surveillance radar and a new electronic warfare system. The gunship is designed to search for and destroy low-speed air targets, tanks, armored and non-armored hardware and enemy manpower day and night and in any weather conditions.

Wow... if that is a requirement perhaps they will equip the 30mm cannon with airburst rounds with smart fuses... it would certainly be the most efficient way of dealing with air targets... such guns wont be accurate enough to hit the target with every round but the rounds would mostly pass closely by the target... without airburst ammo the rounds that miss even if they come very close to the target will just whip by and do no damage. With airburst round they will explode near the target... so very light targets like UAVs would be damaged by fragments even if every round does not hit them... most will damage them.

Obviously for armoured targets AP rounds would need to be used and direct hits achieved...
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 pm

It also to get new optronics system similar to ka-52 as well.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 pm

17.4.18 image of the 1st flying Mi-28NM (Izd. 296) prototype OP-1 "701 Yellow"(maiden flight 12.10.16) at Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant in Lyubertsy District, Moscow Obl.
    Features a modernised mast-mounted N025(M?) radar,a new set of VК-2500P-01/PS engines, sensors, controls & ECMS.

Mi-28N Havoc: News - Page 10 Da_4k0TX4AEHnbB

https://twitter.com/Russian_Defence/status/986281142671339521
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Upgraded Mil Mi-28NE ‘Night Hunter’ attack helicopter at the Army-2018 international military and technical forum

Mi-28N Havoc: News - Page 10 1201127

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/1017999
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:56 am

I would say the focus is export to the Middle East with that large filter over the air intake for dust and sand.

It makes sense to stop sand and dust from getting into the engine than to try to deal with sand and dust already in there...

The odd thing is the quad missile tubes instead of the traditional 8 pack of Atakas...
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 am

According to another forum this are Krizanthema.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Hole wrote:According to another forum this are Krizanthema.

Yes.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3314648.html
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Interesting system at 6:15. Different than ka-52.
    At 11:16 there is radar display in live.

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:28 pm

Do you mean the evacuation system?

Ka-52 has ejection seats. K-37.

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Isos wrote:Interesting system at 6:15. Different than ka-52.
    At 11:16 there is radar display in live.

Yeah, crushions and crash worthy seats. Highly questionable how useful it is but oh well...
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Militarov wrote:
    Yeah, crushions and crash worthy seats. Highly questionable how useful it is but oh well...

Technology looks cool Very Happy

I was surprised mi-28 had this. First time I saw that it had an ejection system.

Could be usefull if it is used in altitude. Unless if you jump on the rotor's blades Shocked

Post  Guest Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Isos wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

I was surprised mi-28 had this. First time I saw that it had an ejection system.

Could be usefull if it is used in altitude. Unless if you jump on the rotor's blades Shocked

This particular system was known to public for decades, like really, decades. However i find it impractical, to say at least. However it has crushioned seats too that are rated as "crash-worthy", so i might choose to stay in and try my luck.

You might get time to use it tho if you use it while auto-rotation lasts if the malfunction is of such nature to allow it.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Militarov wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

This particular system was known to public for decades, like really, decades. However i find it impractical, to say at least. However it has crushioned seats too that are rated as "crash-worthy", so i might choose to stay in and try my luck.

You might get time to use it tho if you use it while auto-rotation lasts if the malfunction is of such nature to allow it.

I didn't know.

I would jump. You have a couple of videos on yt of mi-28 crashing and those seats have nothing special. And if the fuel start burning/exploding like it happened everytime a helicopter crashed you won't survive. On the other hand parachutes saved lot of pilots.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:26 am

And then the bastards on the ground cut your head off and mutilate your body... I would make my decision at the time based on the situation...
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 am

This cushions are used if the helicopter has a malfunction and is flying higher as 50 or so metres so that the parachute can open up. The cushions are there to get you past the wings at jumping out.

If the helicopter is flying at 20 or so metres and is hit, the pilot and WSO will stay in their seats.

GarryB likes this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:38 pm

GarryB wrote:And then the bastards on the ground cut your head off and mutilate your body... I would make my decision at the time based on the situation...

You don't send helicopters in the middle of terrorist zone. But as air support near your own troops.

In conventional war you are made PoW.and release at the end.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 am

You don't send helicopters in the middle of terrorist zone. But as air support near your own troops.

Helicopters operating in Syria attacked enemy positions... there is always a chance to come down near enemy forces... especially in a conflict like Syria where the lines on a map showing enemy held territory shift minute by minute...

In conventional war you are made PoW.and release at the end.

So you know the rules, but do the enemy?

Again in Syria the Su-24 crewman killed was killed while parachuting to the ground... and of course there was that Su-25 pilot that killed himself with a grenade as enemy forces closed in on his position...
    dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Rostec completed the development of the engine for the new combat helicopter Mi-28NM

MOSCOW, Nov. 27 - RIA News. Development of the engine for the latest Russian attack helicopter Mi-28NM "Night Hunter" is completed, RIA Novosti reported in the press service of "Rostec".

"At the moment, the developer of the power plant, the company ODK-Klimov, is starting to start mass production," the company said.

According to the executive director of the corporation Oleg Yevtushenko, the new engine and its “digital stuffing” significantly improve the performance of the Night Hunter and make it one of the most powerful in the world in its class.

The development of the engine VK-2500P - the latest modification of the turboshaft VK-2500 - led by the United Engine Corporation, which is part of Rostec.
    The main difference between the new model and the base is the modernized automatic control system, which simplifies maintenance and increases flight safety.

Engine power in emergency mode increased from 2,700 to 2,800 horsepower, on take-off - from 2,400 to 2,500. Resource before the first overhaul increased from 2,000 to 3,000 hours / cycles.

РИА Новости https://ria.ru/defense_safety/20181127/1533600376.html
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 am

As posted in the Ka-52 thread, learning from Syrian experience, the Mi-28 will also gain the ability to drop FAB-500 bombs:

https://www.russiadefence.net/t1093p500-ka-52-in-russian-air-force#241860
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 am

Interesting... give it the ability to look directly down, and this could be rather interesting.

The Hind often carried significant bomb sizes which simply baffled the west, but if you can hover at 3km altitude you are pretty much safe from small arms fire so you can manouver directly above your target... even drop a smoke bomb to see which way the wind is blowing and then drop a bomb directly onto the target.

Of course as mentioned in the article it would incorporate the ballistics information systems they use for dumb bombs from conventional bombers, which means forward speed could be added to stop you being a stationary target and you could still deliver accurate bombs on target...

Bombs are devastating for even quite substantial targets while also being rather cheap relatively... I would assume all the equipment that would enable the accurate delivery of dumb bombs would also allow more accurate use of unguided rockets too.

It is a tricky thing though... if you make dumb weapons accurate enough to not need the more expensive guided models, it means you wont buy so many guided weapons and they will only get more expensive. The key is to find cheap and simple methods of guidance to improve accuracy to acceptable levels without making them too expensive.

Reusing technology would also help... laser beam riding missiles is a good example... or satellite guided bombs...
    dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Sources reported the decision of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation to abandon the serial purchase of helicopters Mi-28NM

Moscow. February 21st. INTERFAX - The Russian Ministry of Defense has decided to abandon the serial purchase of new attack helicopters Mi-28NM because of the price, several military sources told Interfax on Thursday.
    "Despite repeated attempts by the military to reduce the price of a production machine, the Russian Helicopters holding refused to accept the conditions of the Ministry of Defense," said one of the agency’s interlocutors.
    According to him, the Russian Defense Ministry for more than three months prepared for a state contract with the holding Helicopters. Russia, "but at the last moment the parties could not reach an agreement on the price of the contract.
    According to the source, the contract provided for the supply to the troops of a serial batch of attack helicopters Mi-28NM.
    In turn, a source in the Russian Air and Space Forces told Interfax that the refusal to purchase the Mi-28NM would not affect the combat capability of army aviation.
    "At the moment, the development work on the modernization of the previously installed Mi-28 helicopters is successfully completed," he said.
    Instead of expensive purchases of helicopters from the Russian Helicopters holding company, it is possible to modernize the existing Night Hunters with bringing their basic characteristics to the level of Mi-28NM or work out the issue of a corresponding increase in purchases of Ka-52 helicopters,” the agency’s source said.

Full article
    http://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=1&nid=502441

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:58 pm