Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+21
PhSt
lyle6
Arkanghelsk
Isos
Scorpius
PapaDragon
TMA1
Mir
ALAMO
Belisarius
Stealthflanker
Gomig-21
Big_Gazza
higurashihougi
sepheronx
GarryB
Atmosphere
Hole
Arrow
lancelot
thegopnik
25 posters

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9

Post  Atmosphere Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 pm

Gomig-21 wrote:
    Atmosphere wrote:https://www.niip.ru/upload/iblock/854/8546b31b0d719348532f7075d5b924e2.pdf
    https://www.niip.ru/upload/iblock/e79/e794d8582067882b61772b7850eb18ca.pdf
    L band arrays confirmed to be radars.

So Atmosphere, I couldn't get the text translated from the 1st link since it was pics of literature from a book, but I was able to translate the 2nd link on PDF.  Some interesting stuff since I was just recently having an in-depth discussion regarding those arrays.  I copy/pasted the relevant section below.  Do you know if these arrays are the same exact ones as on the Su-35S?  I know supposedly the are, just trying to confirm.  And is there any other info on how they operate with the IRBIS-E since it's obviously a different type of radar than the N036-1-01 X-band AESA and the arrays are L-band.  Or if they work independently?

Translation: Just FYI, this is referring to the Su-57.

On the stand: the performance and characteristics of the AESA have not changed, no modifications are required, and it is ready to continue flight tests." In 2013, the next two prototypes of the fighter (the fourth and fifth) were submitted for testing, which were equipped with a forward-looking radar at the plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur (the fourth and fifth experimental sets). In 2016-2017, five more prototypes of the Su-57 joined the tests, and the final three were already equipped with a full set of multifunctional radar systems, including, in addition to the front, two side and two wing AESAs. An experimental model of side-scan AESA was first demonstrated at the MAKS-2013 air show in late summer 2013, then two prototypes of "side" AESA were manufactured and by 2015 passed the necessary bench testing, after which their flight tests began on board the aircraft. It is important to note that for the final two prototypes of the Su-57 (the 10th and 11th), the AESA radar system kits were worn out.

Not sure what they mean by "worn out" hahaha unless it's a botched translation, but are we talking about the bolded part for confirmation?  Or is there something else I missed and can we positively say they're the same arrays as the Su-35S?

Atmosphere wrote:http://www.take-off.ru/item/2257-niip-im-v-v-tikhomirova-podvodit-itogi-goda

"complete interdepartmental tests of our complex, which are carried out on its component parts (the locator itself, the electronic countermeasures system, the identification system, etc.) "
    So tikhomirov has a hand in developing the EW system, not just KNIIRTI.

I guess these two sections answer my questions!

Last year, he actively continued the institute and work on aviation topics. According to Yuri Bely, in 2016 an unprecedented volume of test flights was carried out to test the latest Tikhomirov radars - a total of more than 370 flights, including more than a hundred on fifth-generation T-50 aircraft with a multifunctional electronic system based on AESA and more than 170 on Su-35S fighters with Irbis radar with phased array.

The task is to complete the first stage of the GSE by the end of this year and obtain a preliminary conclusion on the readiness of the complex for serial production. In addition, by about the middle of the year, we must complete interdepartmental tests of our complex, which are carried out on component parts (the radar itself, the electronic countermeasures system, the identification system, etc.) on the stands at our institute and at the subcontractors,"

Outstanding.  So the arrays on the Su-35 are not only L-band AESA and work in conjunction with the ERBIS-E (it would be great to know the detailed technical aspect of how) but also with the N036-1-01 X-band AESA in the Su-57 of course.

My other question would be if the IFF antenna/interrogator AND EW both are integrated in the arrays or are they separate units?  Great stuff.

As far as IRBIS-E goes i do think the L band arrays work in conjunction with it since both radars feed data into the Solo-35 central computer.
    I do think however that the L-band arrays on the N036 are different and more advanced since they have their own designation, their own sub processor, and because the industry transitioned to co fired low temperature ceramic to make modules smaller and having greater characteristics in terms of noise figure, and mechanical\Thermal reliability.
    As far as IFF and EW goes, The su57 has an independant IFF system called "reaper" but once again it works in conjunction with all other systems since sensor fusion is one of the main points of the aircraft, same with EW, the L402 hymalayas suite has its own arrays + uses the arrays of the N036, including the L band ones.
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Su57-s10

GarryB and Gomig-21 like this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9

Post  Atmosphere Mon May 06, 2024 11:55 pm

Sixth generation fighters are pretty much following the Su-57 formula, a flat wide body, long range, large ventral space for large payload, and aircraft drone cummunication. The only difference is the lack of aft fins, but even in that case, the ones on the Su-57 are made as small as possible.
    Time is proving this aircraft to be a winner.
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 16735510

kvs and Gomig-21 like this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Thu May 30, 2024 1:23 am

https://www.uacrussia.ru/ru/aircraft/lineup/military/su-57/#aircraft-specific
    The aircraft can be used around the clock, including in adverse weather conditions, in difficult jamming environments, and when countering enemy air defense systems, both under external control and autonomously.

Drone mode confirmed.

sepheronx, GarryB, dino00, kvs and Hole like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu May 30, 2024 1:39 pm

Atmosphere wrote:https://www.uacrussia.ru/ru/aircraft/lineup/military/su-57/#aircraft-specific
    The aircraft can be used around the clock, including in adverse weather conditions, in difficult jamming environments, and when countering enemy air defense systems, both under external control and autonomously.

Drone mode confirmed.

Sukhoi's chief test-pilot Sergey Bogdan already confirmed this capability quite some time ago when a prototype completed a test mission without him touching the controls.

sepheronx, GarryB, kvs, Hole and lancelot like this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:27 pm

Russian RAM that is heavily marketed towards su-57 (if not already in use) has great capability in the L-Band, it also works to temperatures out to 200 degrees so it won't peel off due to frictionSu-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Captur11

GarryB, LMFS, lancelot, TMA1 and Mir like this post

TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:20 am

Someone tell stealthflanker asap. If he is unaware of this he may want to reconfigure his computations.

GarryB likes this post

Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:36 am

TMA1 wrote:Someone tell stealthflanker asap. If he is unaware of this he may want to reconfigure his computations.

err.. unfortunately the absorption coefficient alone is not enough.

What needed is at least the material's resistivity or impendance. Or more importantly material's magnetic and dielectric properties, namely Permittivity and Permeability in both imaginary and real.

Example being this Absorber :

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 IO5CWaf

THAT is the proper data to look at when attempting to model a material, and as you see they're frequency dependent. It's bit hard tho to find it. Some other papers may report those value using complex numbers e.g x+jy Where it has to be solved first before it become usable in any simulations.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:48 am

Oh well. Thanks for replying stealthflanker. You do good work.

Anyways Russians should be releasing a batch su-57 with izd30 pretty soon. I worry with growing intensity of the conflict that they may understandably keep weapon and weapon system production more quiet. Still I am growing impatient and cannot wait to see the new fighters coming off the production line.

GarryB and Gomig-21 like this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:02 am

TMA1 wrote:Oh well. Thanks for replying stealthflanker. You do good work.

Anyways Russians should be releasing a batch su-57 with izd30 pretty soon. I worry with growing intensity of the conflict that they may understandably keep weapon and weapon system production more quiet. Still I am growing impatient and cannot wait to see the new fighters coming off the production line.

I haven't seen a report in an extremely long time of release of S-300V4's or S-400's or Buks or any of the AD systems.

GarryB, TMA1 and Mir like this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:17 am

The IRST sensors on the Su-57 are stealthy due to the fact that the housing around the IRST is significantly smoother and flush with the airframe and so if they cared enough to optimise whatever fraction of RCS that detail entails then they have certainly thought of the elephant in the room which is the spinning mirror inside the glass dome. It could for example be a mirror assembly made out of an infrared reflective radio transparent material.
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 17176510

Gomig-21 likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:10 pm

Fellas, please, pleaaaaase tell me this isn't true!

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 BB1nTFRG

Source.

lyle6 dislikes this post

Belisarius

Post  Belisarius Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:15 pm

Gomig-21 wrote:Fellas, please, pleaaaaase tell me this isn't true!

Source.

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Img_2465

xeno, Gomig-21, lancelot and Mir like this post

lyle6 dislikes this post

Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:16 am

And of course the picture has to be blurry

sepheronx, xeno, Big_Gazza, Gomig-21, Hole and Belisarius like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:30 am

Source.

Even if it is, so what?

Airplane is in production, just buy more

Fact that someone probably fucked up is a different matter however

flamming_python, owais.usmani and lancelot like this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:01 am

Of one bothers to look closely, plane is caged. The damage is outside of the cage. Chances are the drones hit the cage, hit the ground beside it and blew. Probably causing either no damage or minor shrapnel damage.

Gomig-21 likes this post

higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:27 am

If Su-57 is shot down during a mission or an air fight, or is down due to a technical failure then it is a big problem.

In this case, it is attacked on the land when it is not active. So even if it is true, it is not a big problem. Only to serve as propaganda and copium for NAFO.

Although it is also legit to raise the concern about how to improve the protection of Russian aircraft on the airbase in a realistic, calm, and rational way.

flamming_python, JohninMK, lancelot and Mir like this post

Scorpius
    Scorpius

Post  Scorpius Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:10 pm

Source.

First ask yourself a question: after all, all the Western media used to claim that the Su-57 is a joke, that it is not used in Ukraine, isn't it?
    So, why waste precious drones to destroy a "joke plane that doesn't exist and that doesn't apply in Ukraine"? Then ask why this makes such a big news story.
    Then ask if something similar has happened in the USA?
    Oh, c'mon, the United States wasn't hit -they couldn't just lose fifth-generation aircraft, could they? Oh, wait..
    https://warisboring.com/hurricane-michael-damaged-a-bunch-of-f-22s/

Big_Gazza, Hole, lancelot, Mir and Belisarius like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:28 pm

US had 180 f-22 and is mass producing f-35. Russia has plans to buy 76 su-57. This ukro attacks is deadlier for Russia than the hurrican for the US.

It's a joke they haven't moved all their expensive stuff accross the Urals. Not the first time ukros tried such attacks in the rears and succeded more than once. I remember than A-50U almost destroyed by a dumb drone in Belarussia.

Next target will for sure be Yasen, Gorshkov or Borei. They are steping up the level of targets because russian red lines are worth nothing.

Gomig-21 likes this post

lyle6 dislikes this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:43 pm

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #9 - Page 3 Img_5716

So there were others

Being Akhtubinsk my first assumption is that these are prototypes

But quite scary that these targets are so vulnerable

The price of going easy on the brotherly people

Gomig-21 likes this post

lyle6 dislikes this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:17 am

The dark spots have a perfectly circular object in the middle...

These aren't burn marks. These are oil spills.

Check the fucking frame itself intact with zero discoloration.

You stupid dumb fucking niggers.

xeno and Belisarius like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:25 am

Arkanghelsk wrote:

So there were others

Being Akhtubinsk my first assumption is that these are prototypes

But quite scary that these targets are so vulnerable

The price of going easy on the brotherly people
    What others? Its the same image rotated you fucking nigger

sepheronx, xeno, Mir and Belisarius like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:32 am

lyle6 wrote:
    What others? Its the same image rotated you fucking  nigger

There are planes to the left and right of the one which got hit

Obviously it’s the same image

Coping is a stressful job , but relax bro your not the one responsible for any of this Laughing

Gomig-21 and thegopnik like this post

xeno dislikes this post

Belisarius

Post  Belisarius Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:40 am

sepheronx likes this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:32 am

PapaDragon wrote:

Source.

Even if it is, so what?

At first I was really hoping that it was photoshopped and there was no truth to it.
    Then I looked at it a lot closer and couldn't determine if there was even any damage in the first place, just something didn't look right which is why I posted it to get better information from you fellas.
    Then someone mentioned the netting or cage and it started making more sense.

You say so what and yes, in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world, but it's still not good, either.  

PapaDragon wrote:Airplane is in production, just buy more

I'm sure those handling budgetary matters would strongly disagree with that train of thought.  

PapaDragon wrote:Fact that someone probably fucked up is a different matter however

That's the bottom line.  Yes I realize this is war and this kinda thing happens and even knowing Russia's strategic depth is different from let's say the US where it's somewhat within reach of many of its enemies, unlike the United States which is quite isolated and immune from these types of attacks from its enemies.  But at the same time, this is the world's 2nd greatest superpower.  This is the mighty Russia and just like anyone else around here, I hate to see this kind of thing happen.  Sorry but it's disheartening.  That's really what it comes down to.  It's not a malicious intent, quite the opposite.  And this is the Su-57!  The holy grail man let's not pretend it's no big deal because it is. Hate to see it.  

The good news is there doesn't appear to be any significant damage, if any. And the netting/cage appears to have thwarted any major damage so that's certainly a plus.  

But this in the one aircraft -- regardless of prototype or production -- that should never be anywhere close to the risk of Ukrainian drones, just my opinion.
    PhSt
    PhSt

Post  PhSt Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:02 am

I'm wondering, what kind of guidance system do these cheap drones have? While its true that it missed its target, its still pretty close, a couple of meters away from the intended target, not bad for a cheap drone.

Now, if these cheap drones can be used to target parked Russian aircraft, perhaps we can say that proper strike drones like the Geran-2 can inflict a much more formidable and widespread damage to Ukrainian airbases, but since Russia doesn't show Spy sat photos, then Ukraine and its NATO sponsors can pretend that nothing got hit and promote this narrative to the general public Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:25 am