Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+81
Aristide
zorobabel
Cheetah
zepia
ludovicense
VARGR198
Serberus
Rasisuki Nebia
billybatts91
rigoletto
jhelb
mnztr
diabetus
Kiko
ahmedfire
Dima
TMA1
lancelot
Belisarius
walle83
Odin of Ossetia
AlfaT8
Urluber
mack8
Hannibal Barca
Podlodka77
LMFS
RTN
SeigSoloyvov
auslander
andalusia
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Big_Gazza
Firebird
DerWolf
teh_beard
Kriva
ucmvulcan
Ispan
franco
Arrow
Azi
nomadski
Walther von Oldenburg
ALAMO
GunshipDemocracy
Dr.Snufflebug
Yugo90
Lurk83
Isos
adder
Hole
JohninMK
Scorpius
Werewolf
Singular_Transform
Airbornewolf
Sujoy
Mir
Stealthflanker
OminousSpudd
Vann7
miketheterrible
ATLASCUB
lyle6
magnumcromagnon
kvs
sundoesntrise
GarryB
thegopnik
Arkanghelsk
ArgentinaGuard
Erk
flamming_python
par far
Backman
Broski
Regular
Krepost
EkErilaz
d_taddei2
85 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 - Page 27 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

Post  miketheterrible Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:57 pm

JohninMK wrote:Part of UK's Defence Secretary’s statement to the House of Commons on Ukraine today:

"To date, the international community has donated more than 900 man-portable air defence missiles and thousands of anti-tank guided weapons of varying types, as well as various small arms. However, the capability needs strengthening, so in response to Ukrainian requests the Government have taken the decision to explore the donation of Starstreak high-velocity, man-portable anti-air missiles. We believe that this system will remain within the definition of defensive weapons, but will allow the Ukrainian forces to better defend their skies. We shall also be increasing supplies of rations, medical equipment, and other non-lethal military aid.”

An in thread comment on it

Daveyb
    21 hours ago
    Reply to  JamesD

Yes. The system is pretty straight forward. Someone with as little as 1 hour of training would be able to engage a lot of targets. It will take longer to get the full benefits of the weapon system and how to set it up and maintain it. I won’t give too much away!

It’s a short range air defence system (SHORAD), so anything within 10km is game. You basically line up the optical sight with the target, fire the missile at it, then continue tracking the target with the optical sight. It uses a variation of the semi-automatic command line of sight (SACLOS) guidance system. The command unit paints the target with a pair of modulated lasers. When fired the missile assembly releases the three darts. Each dart measures the delta between the command unit’s tracking angle and the missile. It will then steer the dart to minimise the delta angle. Where it will then hit the target with the darts.

Due to the Mach 4+ speed of Starstreak, the closure speed is enormous, so the time of flight to hitting the target is relatively short. This means that a target flying over you will remain painted by the command unit and not have much chance of evading it. The system was predominantly designed to counter attack helicopters that do pop-up attacks from cover. As the WARSAW PACT Mil24s used wire guided missiles (much like TOW), this meant they had to hover in place when firing at a target. Therefore, the missile’s high speed was required to hit the helicopter before it could track the target. Once the helicopter was hit, the wired guided missile would go ballistic and miss the moving target. The missile’s high speed also meant that high speed low flying fixed wing aircraft, were easier to defend against. Roll on twenty years, Starstreak has been given more range. It is still very deadly against attack helicopters, but also against UAVs.

As it uses lasers to paint the target, unless the aircraft has a laser warning system, it won’t detect the launch. The missile does not leave a noticeable smoke trail, so a visual warning is also not likely, unless you are flying directly or looking at the right spot when its launched. The system is very difficult to jam and next to impossible to decoy.

As Ukraine will only be getting the MANPAD version. This system uses predominantly the operator’s visual searching to detect targets. It does have a thermal detection optic. I don’t know if they will be getting the additional air defence alerting device (ADAD). The ADAD is a development of the Typhoon’s PIRATE IRST. It provides the operator with both day and night passive searching and extends the search range.

The tripod mounted control unit can also fire the LMM Martlet missile.

If Ukraine get the system, it will be the first time its really been used in anger. It was taken to the Gulf War 2. Though I can’t remember if was used? During training days, the system was very reliable in both use and hitting the target.

Unlike Stinger, Starstreak is not a fire and forget weapon system. The operator must remain tracking the target all the way until it hits. However, the missile is nearly twice as fast as the Stinger and has double the range. It is also a lot more robust, as you don’t have be so careful handling it, due to the lack of cryogenic cooling for the Stinger’s IR sensor.

In Ukraine’s hand Starstreak will be deadly to Russian manned aircraft and UAVs.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/britain-sending-anti-aircraft-and-javelin-missiles-to-ukraine/

Will make a great trophy for Russia

GarryB, Big_Gazza, JohninMK, Yugo90, Mir and Broski like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 - Page 27 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

Post  Arkanghelsk Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:01 pm

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 - Page 27 Screen43

ARSV is pushing through Chuihiev towards Zmiev

Some also approaching Kharkov from south, at Malay Rogan

Hannibal Barca, Big_Gazza, kvs, LMFS, Yugo90 and Mir like this post

diabetus

Post  diabetus Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:21 pm

Hole wrote:Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 - Page 27 Scree148
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 - Page 27 Scree149

These weren't the same VDV vehicles that were later abandoned were they?
    Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:23 pm

https://t.me/istorijaoruzija/42041

😂😂😂
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:25 pm

Arkanghelsk wrote:https://t.me/istorijaoruzija/42041

😂😂😂

They can surrender to Russia any moment, and get some humanitarian aid. Gasoline included Laughing
    mnztr

Post  mnztr Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:39 pm

Does the Ukrainian air force still exist? If so WHY? At the very least all the bases should be cratered. IMHO if there is a single plane still flying its a failure. I see SAMs being hit by drones, why are those even needed if the Uke airforce is non-existant? Is the drone command center still operational and why?
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:41 pm

It seems that all the main airfields have been hit. But there was a bunch of Ukr jets that ran off to Romania and Poland.

This operation is not shock and awe. It has been gradual but there is no explanation from the MOD what the logic is.

LMFS, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Odin of Ossetia dislikes this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:44 pm

Regular wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1501887889478717442
    Ukrainian TB-2 destroys Buk.
    First, they are saying it's a maket, then they say in that region they lost a helicopter.

Just wondering if this is a TI/IR image then white normally is associated with a heat source. Why are the missile's fins, part of the wheels and the missile's radar cones showing up as white and there seems to be no heat signature from the chassis/engine - or am I missing something?

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 - Page 27 Buk-ca10

And the explosion seems to be somewhat over the top as well? Wink

Last edited by Mir on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Werewolf, d_taddei2, kvs, auslander, JohninMK, miketheterrible and Hole like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:45 pm

https://t.me/istorijaoruzija/42044

Ukropian su25 downed

Big_Gazza and Odin of Ossetia like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:48 pm

diabetus wrote:
    These weren't the same VDV vehicles that were later abandoned were they?

Looks like our bitcoin snake oil seller is back?! Laughing

magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza and bitch_killer like this post

auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:48 pm

diabetus wrote:These weren't the same VDV vehicles that were later abandoned were they?

You tell me.

The Letter “V” represents the Russian Marines
    The Letter “Z” represents units in the Eastern Military District
    The Letter “Z” in a square represents the Southern Military District (Crimea)
    The Letter “O” represents units from Belarus
    The Letter “X” represents the forces of Ramzan Kadyrov
    The Letter “A” represents Russian Special Forces(SSO) like Spetznaz in its various operational units.

What VDV abandoned vehicles? Prove it with verifiable links, not just some troll inspired fake vid of abandoned orc units.

magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, kvs, Odin of Ossetia, LMFS, Hole, Broski and Belisarius like this post

diabetus

Post  diabetus Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:50 pm

auslander wrote:
    diabetus wrote:These weren't the same VDV vehicles that were later abandoned were they?

You tell me.

The Letter “A” represents Russian Special Forces(SSO) like Spetznaz in its various operational units.

What VDV abandoned vehicles? Prove it with verifiable links, not just some troll inspired fake vid of abandoned orc units.

Not a video, just pictures of some BMD variants abandoned in identical looking terrain. I'll try to find them.
    Odin of Ossetia
    Odin of Ossetia

Post  Odin of Ossetia Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:50 pm

kvs wrote:It seems that all the main airfields have been hit.   But there was a bunch of Ukr jets that ran off to Romania and Poland.

This operation is not shock and awe.   It has been gradual but there is no explanation from the MOD what the logic is.

Reportedly there was a single Ukrainian Su-27 fighter jet that fled to Romania already on the first day of the special operation. After a few days it flew back to Ukraine.

There were no reports of any Ukrainian aircraft fleeing to Poland.

=============================================================================

Some bits of interesting information:

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1501902656348082185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Last edited by Odin of Ossetia on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

auslander likes this post

diabetus

Post  diabetus Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:51 pm

auslander wrote:

You tell me.

Not a video, just pictures of some BMD variants abandoned in identical looking terrain. I'll try to find them.
    diabetus

Post  diabetus Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:51 pm

Odin of Ossetia wrote:
    kvs wrote:It seems that all the main airfields have been hit.   But there was a bunch of Ukr jets that ran off to Romania and Poland.

This operation is not shock and awe.   It has been gradual but there is no explanation from the MOD what the logic is.

Reportedly there was a single Ukrainian MiG-29 fighter jet that fled to Romania already on the first day of the special operation. After a few days it flew back to Ukraine.

There were no reports of any Ukrainian aircraft fleeing to Poland.

=============================================================================

Some bits of interesting information:

https://twitter.com/ASBMilitary/status/1501902656348082185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

That was a Su-27, it was well publicized.

Odin of Ossetia likes this post

auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:00 pm

diabetus wrote:Not a video, just pictures of some BMD variants abandoned in identical looking terrain. I'll try to find them.

Marvelous. Now, take each unit and tell me what's wrong with it. As for the terrain, I live in Sevastopol and five minutes from our house I can show you identical land and forestry.

Quiz in ten minutes because in 15 mikes I'm going to have some dinner. Word to the wise: Never EVER interrupt VCO when she is serving diner, let alone disturb us whilst dining. She don't take prisoners (eyes on with that deal).

magnumcromagnon, kvs, JohninMK and Broski like this post

rigoletto
    rigoletto

Post  rigoletto Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 pm

kvs wrote:
    par far wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:uh.. Russian tourist got stranded in our country due to being unable to withdraw money. there are 1150 Russians entering Indonesia at January.
    Kinda bit worried. Hopefully Russian consulate can do something.

Makes sense. Visa and Mastercard don't work outside of Russia for Russians.  So the consulate will have to negotiate and or if Unionpay is accepted, the cards of these individuals will have to be replaced with ones that work in union pay

A little bit off topic but what countries does Union Pay work in?

ASEAN.   So most of south and east Asia.  

Far more than ASEAN, ever in Brazil you can use 'Union Pay' in a large part of the stores and also withdraw money, albeit the card itself is not available in here.

Last edited by rigoletto on Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total

kvs, LMFS and Broski like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 pm

The earlier posted crater was an Azov fake. The so-called bombing of the Mariupol maternity hospital. This hospital
    would have been demolished if Russian forces bombed it. The hospital was cleaned out of patients and medical staff three
    days ago and is an Azov base. Also, there was a quiet period declared yesterday for the function of the humanitarian
    corridors.

magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, auslander, Broski and ucmvulcan like this post

diabetus

Post  diabetus Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:09 pm

auslander wrote:
    diabetus wrote:Not a video, just pictures of some BMD variants abandoned in identical looking terrain. I'll try to find them.

Marvelous. Now, take each unit and tell me what's wrong with it. As for the terrain, I live in Sevastopol and five minutes from our house I can show you identical land and forestry.

Quiz in ten minutes because in 15 mikes I'm going to have some dinner. Word to the wise: Never EVER interrupt VCO when she is serving diner, let alone disturb us whilst dining. She don't take prisoners (eyes on with that deal).

Well you tell me, what do you make of this?

Here's a link to the post as I can't embed it:

https://fb.watch/bF_bVMr4UD/
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Statement from MOD about the air strike on the hospital >>

I will focus separately on the information provocation of the Kiev regime with the alleged "strike" by Russian aviation on Mariupol hospital No. 3 yesterday.

First of all, I would like to note that the Russian Defense Ministry announced a "silence regime" yesterday for the safe evacuation of civilians in the city. Absolutely no tasks for hitting targets on the ground were carried out by Russian aviation in the region of Mariupol.

The analysis of statements made by representatives of the Kiev nationalist regime, photographs from the hospital, leaves no doubt. The alleged "airstrike" is a completely staged provocation to maintain the anti-Russian hype among the Western audience.

Medical institutions in Mariupol, including Hospital No. 3, stopped their regular work at the end of February. All the staff and patients were dispersed by the nationalists. The hospital building, due to its advantageous tactical location close to the city center, has been converted into a stronghold of the national battalion "Azov". This is massively reported by residents of the city who have moved both to Kiev-controlled and Donetsk People's Republic-controlled areas.

Photographs of the hospital grounds contain evidence of two separate staged explosions near the hospital. A buried underground one and another of small capacity, directed to the hospital building.

The nature of external and internal damage to the building may mislead the mass non-professional audience in Europe and the USA, for which this production was made, but not experts.

A high-explosive aviation munition, even of lower power, simply would not have left anything from the outer walls of the building.

GarryB, d_taddei2, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, kvs, auslander, Odin of Ossetia and like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:20 pm

diabetus wrote:

Definitely not the same vehicles as shown in the pictures.

auslander likes this post

diabetus

Post  diabetus Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:21 pm

Mir wrote:
    diabetus wrote:

Definitely not the same vehicles as shown in the pictures.

Ok, where do you think that was then?
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:24 pm

diabetus wrote:
    Ok, where do you think that was then?

You tell me dunno

magnumcromagnon, auslander, miketheterrible and Broski like this post

auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:51 pm

As far as I'm concerned, this little troll's career is over.

Welcome to cosmic ignore, my little troll friend.

d_taddei2, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, miketheterrible, LMFS, Hole, Mir and Arkanghelsk like this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:54 pm

Honestly, there needs to be a freeze on new people registering.

magnumcromagnon likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:03 pm