Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+81
Aristide
zorobabel
Cheetah
zepia
ludovicense
VARGR198
Serberus
Rasisuki Nebia
billybatts91
rigoletto
jhelb
mnztr
diabetus
Kiko
ahmedfire
Dima
TMA1
lancelot
Belisarius
walle83
Odin of Ossetia
AlfaT8
Urluber
mack8
Hannibal Barca
Podlodka77
LMFS
RTN
SeigSoloyvov
auslander
andalusia
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Big_Gazza
Firebird
DerWolf
teh_beard
Kriva
ucmvulcan
Ispan
franco
Arrow
Azi
nomadski
Walther von Oldenburg
ALAMO
GunshipDemocracy
Dr.Snufflebug
Yugo90
Lurk83
Isos
adder
Hole
JohninMK
Scorpius
Werewolf
Singular_Transform
Airbornewolf
Sujoy
Mir
Stealthflanker
OminousSpudd
Vann7
miketheterrible
ATLASCUB
lyle6
magnumcromagnon
kvs
sundoesntrise
GarryB
thegopnik
Arkanghelsk
ArgentinaGuard
Erk
flamming_python
par far
Backman
Broski
Regular
Krepost
EkErilaz
d_taddei2
85 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Empty Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

Post  d_taddei2 Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:41 am

One thing I have noticed from a lot of the pics and footage is
    MT-LB seems to be favoured transport (armour) despite BMP being better armoured and better armed, only reason I can think of is mobility the MT-LB is well known to be great off road in the mud, but most footage has been on road. Also noticed zero caged armour. And you would of thought after Russia's experience in Syria would have taught them the usefulness of caged armour especially in urban environments and it's very cheap to add on. And I still see the typical Soviet style on sitting on top of armoured vehicles being used. I know it has its advantages and disadvantages. Haven't seen any BMP -3 or upgraded BMP-2.

Big_Gazza likes this post

EkErilaz
    EkErilaz

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

Post  EkErilaz Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:46 am

JohninMK wrote:Am I correct in thinking that operating MANPADs at night is difficult?

Yes, because you can not use your eyes to roughly locate the target. And cool as they are NVGs do not work very well at long ranges. However, if you manages to, somehow find the target and the missile indicates a lock, the missile guides just as good as during daytime.

Regular and Arkanghelsk like this post

Krepost
    Krepost

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

Post  Krepost Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:48 am

Arkanghelsk wrote:Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Screen32

Situation , Moving towards Odessa, in the North, movement into Zhitomyr

- Since the Russians are at Voznesensk (North of Nikolaev), they should drive straight West to Transdnistria.
    - That way they will have the land bridge to Transdniestria.
    - They should also do the naval landing West of Odessa city. Isolating the city from the West.
    - That way the whole Odessa Region will be in a cauldron.

kvs, Hole and Arkanghelsk like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:02 am

d_taddei2 wrote:One thing I have noticed from a lot of the pics and footage is
     MT-LB seems to be favoured transport (armour) despite BMP being better armoured and better armed, only reason I can think of is mobility the MT-LB is well known to be great off road in the mud, but most footage has been on road. Also noticed zero caged armour. And you would of thought after Russia's experience in Syria would have taught them the usefulness of caged armour especially in urban environments and it's very cheap to add on. And I still see the typical Soviet style on sitting on top of armoured vehicles being used. I know it has its advantages and disadvantages. Haven't seen any BMP -3 or upgraded BMP-2.

MT-LB serves like a truck or APC's and not like IFV's. Execption woulb be MT-LBM with 6BM turret (as seen in this conflict)
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Mtlb11

There are definitely BMP-3 out there, Ukraine claimed to have captured two of them.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Image11

Also, caged armour is there too, on the roofs of some tanks. Also, wood is being used as armour on some light-skinned vehicles.

d_taddei2 and Big_Gazza like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:08 am

EkErilaz wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Am I correct in thinking that operating MANPADs at night is difficult?

Yes, because you can not use your eyes to roughly locate the target. And cool as they are NVGs do not work very well at long ranges.  However, if you manages to, somehow find the target and the missile indicates a lock, the missile guides just as good as during daytime.

Aiming with NVG's is pain in the hole and if there are bright stars in the sky, then it will be a caleidoscope. I only used Gen 2 NVGs so I can't say how it is with next-gen, but it should be much better, but still. Russian Verba Manpad does have NVG device available to them that solves this, it's adjusted for work in any condition.

JohninMK likes this post

Broski
    Broski

Post  Broski Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 am

GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    flamming_python wrote: I agree with the overall Russian strategy, in as far as this war could ever be a good idea.

Guess no sane person enjoys wars,  but you seem to see another solution in this case. I'm very curious, what would you do in place of Putin knowing about nukes and biological WMD by your door?
    He's like a bitter wife, really. Lots of whining and complaining about how wrong everything is, never satisfied with how the husband(Putin) goes about solving problems in the house(Russia), doesn't like how he handles unruly neighbors(Ukraine) either but can't provide any suitable alternative solutions.

Now to address flamming_python.
    flamming_python wrote:Well the nukes thing Zelensky brought up at the Munich security conference, where he received a cold answer from the Germans. That was only a few days before the invasion.
    So in your mind, the Ukrainians weren't already working on developing nuclear weapons because zelensky only mentioned it 2 days before the military operation? Do you not think that Russia would have intel on this already?
    The biolabs - they were only brought up a few days ago. Maybe they do exist. 
    The subject of biolabs was brought up by Putin and Russian media for years, not a few goddamn days ago. 
    But I doubt it's for creating bioweapons against Russians.
    Of course, they just happen to place them right on Russia's doorstep for shits and giggles. Also;
    https://www.mintpressnews.com/putin-questions-us-air-force-dna-collection-ethnic-russians/233946/
    In recent months, the US Air Force has issued calls for ethnic Russians to provide DNA samples for a mysterious “research” program. US Air Force Captain Beau Downey claimed that the samples were required for “locomotor studies to identify various biomarkers associated with trauma.”
    Biogenetic weapons are defined as biological agents designed to inflict debilitating diseases or other internal bodily afflictions on a specific group of people, based on a shared genetic code.
    This is a cached page linking to the original tender, straight from the lizard's forked tongue.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170807131349/https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=5891545db8f955e347e3493a9575e7df&tab=core&tabmode=list&
    Q2: Would you consider samples from Ukraine?
    A2: No, all samples (Synovial tissue and RNA samples) shall be collected from Russia and must be Caucasian.  The Government will not consider tissue samples from Ukraine.   
    They wanted only Russian DNA samples, not Ukrainian.
    Something like that will just spread to the rest of the world.
    Which wouldn't be a problem if it only affects those with specific genetic markers unique to that ethnic group.
    Probably just some biological and viral research the US army is doing overseas because it's too risky to do it on its own territory.
    Just a coincidence that they're almost all located next to Russia.
    It's just some Iraq WMDs type allegation. I don't take it seriously
    Which is why you're here talking down on Putin instead of working in the FSB gathering intel on Russia's adversaries.
    Dunno. I think it's Putin himself that managed to back Russia into a corner.
    I partially agree with you, instead of invading the Ukraine in 2014 and annihilating the Neonazis that took over the country, he decided to do the dumb thing and respected international laws instead, unlike the United States... sarcasm aside, what the hell else was he supposed to do? How many times has he tried to come to some sort of mutual agreement with the collective west to deescalate tensions only to be rejected time and time again?
    And with all this Nord Stream 2 thing as well.
    Yeah, how dare Putin try to do business with Germany by offering them cheap, reliable gas bypassing problematic, yapping, ankle-biting baltic poodle states like Poland and the Ukraine.
    And then maybe yes, war was the only option. Still Putin's fault, even then.
    Did the CNN or the BBC tell you that or did you figure it out all by yourself?
    I would have waited for the Ukraine to try something, at the end of the day.
    You mean like ethnically cleansing the Ukraine of Russian-speaking people and developing deadly biological agents or something more exotic like dirty bombs? 
    And simply come up with a counter for it, then launched a counter-offensive.
    You mean what Putin is LITERALLY DOING RIGHT NOW? 
    This is important. The war will be harder, but it will have more legitimacy.
    To who? The West? The same people that lied to the world about Saddam developing WMD's, invaded Iraq, bombed the country back to the Sand-Age, caused the death of well over 1 million people then made the country pay for the reconstruction costs afterwards (which they didn't even do in the end). Those people?
    I know you're not this  censored stupid so why do you play dumb? Thanks for getting me so pissed off that I pulled a GarryB replying to you (no offense to you, Garry).

Last edited by Broski on Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

GarryB, Werewolf, Big_Gazza, kvs, JohninMK, Hole, Backman and Mir like this post

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 am

Regular wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:One thing I have noticed from a lot of the pics and footage is

MT-LB serves like a truck or APC's and not like IFV's. Execption woulb be MT-LBM with 6BM turret (as seen in this conflict)
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Mtlb11

There are definitely BMP-3 out there, Ukraine claimed to have captured two of them.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Image11

Also, caged armour is there too, on the roofs of some tanks. Also, wood is being used as armour on some light-skinned vehicles.

Both MT-LB and BMP both transport troops, only real difference is BMP are better armed. Caged armour on roof isn't really going to make a difference to RPG etc because they aren't top attack the whole point of caged armour was to defend against RPG'S and that needs to be on the sides. As for wood maybe Ukrainians I doubt Russia are that cash strapped to be using wood instead of caged metal which isn't expensive.

I noticed in the BMP pic that the machine gun has been removed and looking pretty old vehicle. I know Ukraine only hand a handful of them. Is this definitely a Russian BMP-3?

Last edited by d_taddei2 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:15 am

lol1 The propaganda offensive continues. You'd have to be really feeble to believe it.

magnumcromagnon and Mir like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:22 am

d_taddei2 wrote:
    Both MT-LB and BMP both transport troops, only real difference is BMP are better armed. Caged armour on roof isn't really going to make a difference to RPG etc because they aren't too attack the whole point of caged armour was to defend against RPG'S and that needs to be on the sides. As for wood maybe Ukrainians I doubt Russia are that cash strapped to be using wood instead of caged metal which isn't expensive.

I noticed in the BMP pic that the machine gun has been removed and looking pretty old vehicle. I know Ukraine only hand a handful of them. Is this definitely a Russian BMP-3?

Well MT-LB is more or less like a truck, it's actually considered to be a tractor in Russian Army. Better than Ural or Kamaz in any case. BMP's are not only better armed, but better armoured as well.

Wood is being used on BMD (Can't find the picture) and on some trucks. Also, this wood comes in handy when laying a bridge as well so it has a double purpose. You don't need to look for logs when you are in the hurry.

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Wood2_10
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Wood_j10

And yes, this BMP-3 was Russian, but it was abandoned and Ukrainians at first took all the equipment out of it and cut it, but now they put it in service and it seems they are hiding it in civilian fuel station...
    par far

Post  par far Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:25 am

d_taddei2 wrote:More aerial bombardments tonight following in from the others I reported earlier

Ukraine top leadership in a panic, requesting AD assets and aircraft, this shows kalibur missiles, and Russian aircraft are making things tough for them. It also contradicts there claims of destroying "many" Russian aircraft and that Russia doesn't have air superiority.

Updates

1) Now bombardment in Lubny, Pyryatyn, Dnipro, Chernihiv, Kyiv, Poltava, Vinnytsia

2) Johnson announces additional aid to Ukraine of about 100 million dollars

3) Advisor to office of President of Ukraine urges western partners to provide Ukraine with air defense capabilities/aircraft before it is too late

Is it safe to say that all this money "donated" to Ukraine really does not make it to Ukraine?

GarryB, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, Mir and Broski like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:28 am

Backman wrote:lol1 The propaganda offensive continues. You'd have to be really feeble to believe it.

As we all know that Syrians are best known in how to deal in a cultural environment in mostly Russian-speaking country... Not to mention that Syrians are very well known to be masters of warfare in cold enviroments. Or they have so much experience in conventional warfare. Oh by the way, where are Belarusian soldiers?

Who pays those journos who write this shit?

GarryB, Big_Gazza and kvs like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:31 am

[quote="par far"]
    d_taddei2 wrote:

Is it safe to say that all this money "donated" to Ukraine really does not make it to Ukraine?

Even if land there, how can you control corruption? I bet it's insane now, by the time someone will find out they embezzling funds - they will be away to the Bahamas.

Just like all the rich cunts who fled Ukraine over other backs.

d_taddei2 and par far like this post

Broski
    Broski

Post  Broski Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:36 am

Unrelated, but;

GarryB, psg, Big_Gazza, LMFS, Yugo90, Backman and Mir like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:54 am

Broski wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    flamming_python wrote: I agree with the overall Russian strategy, in as far as this war could ever be a good idea.

Guess no sane person enjoys wars,  but you seem to see another solution in this case. I'm very curious, what would you do in place of Putin knowing about nukes and biological WMD by your door?
    He's like a bitter wife, really. Lots of whining and complaining about how wrong everything is, never satisfied with how the husband(Putin) goes about solving problems in the house(Russia), doesn't like how he handles unruly neighbors(Ukraine) either but can't provide any suitable alternative solutions.

Now to address flamming_python.
    flamming_python wrote:Well the nukes thing Zelensky brought up at the Munich security conference, where he received a cold answer from the Germans. That was only a few days before the invasion.
    So in your mind, the Ukrainians weren't already working on developing nuclear weapons because zelensky only mentioned it 2 days before the military operation? Do you not think that Russia would have intel on this already?
    The biolabs - they were only brought up a few days ago. Maybe they do exist. 
    The subject of biolabs was brought up by Putin and Russian media for years, not a few goddamn days ago. 
    But I doubt it's for creating bioweapons against Russians.
    Of course, they just happen to place them right on Russia's doorstep for shits and giggles. Also;
    https://www.mintpressnews.com/putin-questions-us-air-force-dna-collection-ethnic-russians/233946/
    In recent months, the US Air Force has issued calls for ethnic Russians to provide DNA samples for a mysterious “research” program. US Air Force Captain Beau Downey claimed that the samples were required for “locomotor studies to identify various biomarkers associated with trauma.”
    Biogenetic weapons are defined as biological agents designed to inflict debilitating diseases or other internal bodily afflictions on a specific group of people, based on a shared genetic code.
    This is a cached page linking to the original tender, straight from the lizard's forked tongue.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170807131349/https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=5891545db8f955e347e3493a9575e7df&tab=core&tabmode=list&
    Q2: Would you consider samples from Ukraine?
    A2: No, all samples (Synovial tissue and RNA samples) shall be collected from Russia and must be Caucasian.  The Government will not consider tissue samples from Ukraine.   
    They wanted only Russian DNA samples, not Ukrainian.
    Something like that will just spread to the rest of the world.
    Which wouldn't be a problem if it only affects those with specific genetic markers unique to that ethnic group.
    Probably just some biological and viral research the US army is doing overseas because it's too risky to do it on its own territory.
    Just a coincidence that they're almost all located next to Russia.
    Which is why you're here talking down on Putin instead of working in the FSB gathering intel on Russia's adversaries.
    I partially agree with you, instead of invading the Ukraine in 2014 and annihilating the Neonazis that took over the country, he decided to do the dumb thing and respected international laws instead, unlike the United States... sarcasm aside, what the hell else was he supposed to do? How many times has he tried to come to some sort of mutual agreement with the collective west to deescalate tensions only to be rejected time and time again?
    And with all this Nord Stream 2 thing as well.
    Yeah, how dare Putin try to do business with Germany by offering them cheap, reliable gas bypassing problematic, yapping, ankle-biting baltic poodle states like Poland and the Ukraine.
    And then maybe yes, war was the only option. Still Putin's fault, even then.
    Did the CNN or the BBC tell you that or did you figure it out all by yourself?
    I would have waited for the Ukraine to try something, at the end of the day.
    You mean like ethnically cleansing the Ukraine of Russian-speaking people and developing deadly biological agents or something more exotic like dirty bombs? 
    And simply come up with a counter for it, then launched a counter-offensive.
    You mean what Putin is LITERALLY DOING RIGHT NOW? 
    This is important. The war will be harder, but it will have more legitimacy.
    To who? The West? The same people that lied to the world about Saddam developing WMD's, invaded Iraq, bombed the country back to the Sand-Age, caused the death of well over 1 million people then made the country pay for the reconstruction costs afterwards (which they didn't even do in the end). Those people?
    I know you're not this  censored stupid so why do you play dumb? Thanks for getting me so pissed off that I pulled a GarryB replying to you (no offense to you, Garry).

Listen

All this reasoning disappears when you realize that Russia has invaded a 35-40 mil population country.

Do you realize how much craziness, ruined lives, refugees this is creating?

And to what lengths do you have to screw up everything, for something like this to be the only option?

And make no mistake, this can all escalate to the lengths where you might as well be questioning the legitimacy of Austria-Hungary's ultimatum to Serbia during the July Crisis. No-one remembers that shit anymore, or whose fault was what. But everyone does still know about WW1. And WW2 which followed on 20 years later from it.

Firebird, magnumcromagnon and Big_Gazza dislike this post

Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:02 am

[quote="flamming_python"]
    Broski wrote:...
    All this reasoning disappears when you realize that Russia has invaded a 35-40 mil population country.

Tiny compared to when the US invaded Iraq in 2003,  a 40mi population country, bombing it's cities and industries trying to cause as much damage as possible, with no regard for civilian casualties.  
    A marketing exercise for the US military industrial complex.

GarryB, Werewolf, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, kvs and Mir like this post

ArgentinaGuard

Post  ArgentinaGuard Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:03 am

To avoid very young recruits, Russia must employ Syrian soldiers (well equipped), who are also grateful to Russia. The Syrians are well experienced and loyal.

Yugo90 likes this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:06 am

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Img_2010

Situation at Mykolaiv

d_taddei2 likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:30 am

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Asb_110

1st combat use

Werewolf, magnumcromagnon, par far, Big_Gazza, kvs, JohninMK, Hole and like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Empty Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5

Post  GarryB Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:31 am

If they are accessing facebook/instagram/netflix and not some perverted crap Russian police won't do a thing.

Just because they don't arrest these people does not mean they ignore them... there will be a few that they keep quite detailed records on and keep under observation... and certainly the ones that try to bypass a block on using the sites will get their attention too...

If they are just watching movies then probably no file and no close attention, but those using it for other purposes they just wont stop using it for might include illegal activity that warrants a closer look.

It's a weird ban, but I understand it - it is not to punish the user, but the company, this is why I am positive that those who will want to access it - they will. I am not a fan of social media. EU also wanted to ban Facebook not long ago. There's a reason for that. Data mining, unfair advertising and etc.

Targeted advertising is the ultimate result of an unregulated industry, your accessing of information becomes a saleable commodity, that is sold and used to try to make you buy their products.

More insidious... they probably know you better than your wife or husband knows you by now... every symptom you ever looked up for yourself or a friend, any pages you went to because you were curious and the shock meant you never went back, but just going there will be in your record... syncing up accounts so it does not matter what platform or device you use it all is stored as you.

Youtube is working hard to remove this video's of Zelensky's comedy shows in the past in which he called Erdogan a 'cockroach with a moustage' and the Ottomans 'drunk bastards and rapers with a Aladdin-hat'.

Easy to be wrong, but don't blame Zelensky only because he obviously did that because he thought his audience would think it was funny.

He seems to like calling those he does not like a cockroach.

Clearly more a comedian than a diplomat or leader of a country.

They will seriously need to change tactics, fly higher and in order to do so they need to start doing more SEAD missions, take out any remaining S300.

Really wish they had a plane like c130 gunship version. In areas where there is no buks, they can giver fire to any ambushers for hours together.

Seriously?

C-130 Gunships have been lost to MANPADS and would be dogshit in this situation.... dealing with S-300s and Buks and other Soviet air defence systems is going to be an ongoing problem because they are designed to shoot down HATO aircraft and continue even after the IADS network is down.

Russia knows what it is doing in SEAD, but that is the future of HATO too if they ever come up against a capable enemy.

> Suggests Russia is here to stay; Novorossiya, at the least, will be annexed.

Would expect they will be given the choice and have a referendum on the matter.

Ideally entire Ukraine needs to be annexed by Russia.

Not at all... there are plenty of bits and people within the current borders of the Ukraine that Russia does not want or need.

If any part is left independent the West will find ways and means to create disturbance in those areas so that the unrest spills over into Russia.

Russia can protect its own borders just fine and can help new allies with that too.

That's why he maintains that it is not possible that a Jewish leader allowed Nazis to grow from strength to strength in Ukraine.

They got their positions of power before he was elected.

That is a lot of ammo, how much of it is useful because traps is another question.

Just denying it to the enemy is enough...

The Russian government needs to talk to the Chinese. Remember when Guaido tried to stage a mass revolt in Caracas, Venezuela and failed utterly? Venezuelan riot police was drilled and equipped by the Chinese.

Remember when the US and EU funded ISIS to overthrow Assad in Syria and Russia and Iran helped to stop them and so Russian soldiers went in and policed lots of areas of Syrian people while things got settled... I suspect they know what they are doing.

Are modern IR seekers able to determine the angle subtended by the targets heat signature, and assuming a length typical of a helicopter, approximate the distance accordingly?

Igla missiles were lead missiles rather than tail chasers... in flight they would lead the aim point to hit the body of the aircraft instead of the tailpipes like the earlier Strela missiles.

According to him, this is direct evidence that the alliance was helping nationalists in Ukraine.
    Pushilin said the Ukrainian military was planning to attack Crimea and Donbass on 8 March 2022.

Excellent... so this is not an invasion by Putin... this is pre-emptive self defence... Twisted Evil

According to some sources this is the downed Il-76, in reality a russian E95M target drone, used to trigger AD systems.

Wow, they are using target drones... used to simulate aircraft for air defence practise... but they are not practising so why would they be using drones... other than trying to lure enemy air defence to reveal their positions so they can engage them... maybe they are doing SEAD missions after all... Rolling Eyes

(Not directed at you Hole, but to other experts here...)

The Russian Federation should not forget Turkey's stance in this conflict after the war is over.

Russia should recognise that Turkey is being more of a friend than some of their friends are...

More cooperation in Syria would be useful for both sides... ISIS and PKK is more of an enemy to Turkey and Assad than you are to each other.

The kurds are not going anywhere but words are better than bombs and bullets... ISIS can just **** off, Turkey should not think it is OK to use them to get a better deal... there is no honour in supporting this scum even if they were useful at the time.

Russia does not sell allies like the USA.

It is not about buying and selling allies... it is about looking at what everyone is doing and why, and talking and convincing them to do the right thing.

The US will cooperate with the most evil people on the planet if they think it will suit their purposes... which makes them just as evil.

Some might say Russia is just as bad for working with Assad and Iran, but stability and rule of law is more important than the chaos the US was trying to bring to the region with ISIS and the Kurds.

ISIS are obviously bad, and there are Kurds that think bombing people is OK to get what they want so they are clearly bad too, but not all Kurds are nutters... they feel helpless and ignored... and this is very off topic for this thread, which grows quickly enough.

Well that's clearly bullshit as the Ukrainians do seem to have a lot of Buks, Shilkas, Strela-10s, Tunguskas moving around and in cover, and ruining the RuAF's day

No it is not... S-300s and major radars and Comms centres can all be taken out because of their size and enormous signature in terms of EM traffic around them, but individual BUK vehicles and other air defence vehicles can operate on their own of course and will continue to be a threat, but they are a much more limited threat than they would be with a fully working IADS.

It will now be a case of using drones to find specific targets.... nazi units, ambush groups, stray air defence vehicles... as well as drones to lure those air defence vehicles into revealing their position and also having drones and platforms able to engage them immediately to take them out.

They might be in communication, which means cell traffic might allow them to be located and dealt with, or they might be off the grid which makes them less effective.

It will be hard to deal with the mobile Ukrainian air defense systems because they don't need to keep their radar on. Just turn it on, track a target, and fire. And they can get advanced warning of when to do this from NATO who work with their own radar coverage and can see all the Russian stuff in the air and where its going.

Communication from HATO would be a useful way to track them down and kill them.

They will need alot of manpower if Poland attacks their forces in Ukraine.

They likely have plenty of key targets in Poland they would like an excuse to destroy... wont be a ground forces war I suspect.

Those eniks e95 drones very interesting, I guess that's what silenced Ukrainian S300s

Very very cheap and simple and made in enormous numbers... they had a turbo jet powered one, but that one with the large metal engine tube on the top is a pulse jet like the Buzz bomb from WWII.

Manpads also played a role in some of these ambushes

What tactics would someone suggest against these hidden types? Which only activate in optical mode?

What kind of tool would help to either suppress the missiles/systems themselves which are being aimed optically?

Drones and jammers and keep hunting them with everything you have... and of course try to spot supply lines bringing up missiles to destroy too.

Israelis destroyed Kubs and Kvadrat only with extensive HUMINT and knowing the presence of such systems before hand

In real war, it's harder to localize those systems

BUKs and other later systems were developed because the previous gen systems were too easy to take down.

With KUB fly a drone and get it to turn on its radar and hit the single radar vehicle for the battery with an ARM and then go in and bomb the TELs with bombs because they can't shoot at you any more.

But what suggestions do you have? How does one suppress optical channels?

You can't.

What you do is fly around them to get them to launch and then hit them when they reveal themselves.

Obviously fly around them with drones looking for them and ambush parties carrying lots of tubes...

In optical guidance, I have heard that missiles change to a regime of direct intercept rather than lead intercept

Not as far as I know... when shooting ducks you generally use an optical system and with experience you learn to calculate lead of a crossing target... it is not hard.

Just fly to a point ahead of the target in the direction it is moving so that the target stops moving in your field of view... it will get closer and closer till you impact.

Do these look like a pair of fully armed QRA aircraft? Dumb bombs on the Su-34?

Against some area targets lots of smaller bombs are better than a single big bomb... things like troops in the field for instance where lots of medium sized booms are more effective than a single concentrated boom.

Also against a long convoy of targets a string of smaller booms is better than one big boom...

The avionics on the Su-34 should make them close enough to target to be more effective than dumb bombs normally are.

Guys how can su34 protect from optical guided tor and buk?

Why arent they using towed decoy?

I heard in optical mode , missiles intercept directly rather then leading the plane

In this case towed decoy would be useful no?

They will know BUK inside out and know what to do...

Well the nukes thing Zelensky brought up at the Munich security conference, where he received a cold answer from the Germans. That was only a few days before the invasion.

The Russians were already aware of his attempts to get permission for nukes and wasn't it reported that the US had agreed to help him with that...

The biolabs - they were only brought up a few days ago. Maybe they do exist. But I doubt it's for creating bioweapons against Russians. Something like that will just spread to the rest of the world.

They already have biolabs in lots of countries already... the biolabs in Georgia were discussed in 2008 during the Georgian attack on South Ossetia...

They exist.

And they were totally useless for the US against Covid so they are clearly not working on a defence.

The lab the US funded in China is believed to be the source of Covid...

Then you are a moron... Saddam was no where near making nukes, but Ukraine has people that have already built nukes... for the Soviet Union... they know exactly what they are doing and just need suitable materials...

He was being pushed into a corner... why don't you recognise the west are a bunch of censored and this war was going to happen one way or another... you claim to care about Russian casualties... well some full scale attack by the Orcs into the separatist regions... how much overspill might there have been and what if they turned around and tried to invade the Crimea... and started things off with a 5 hour rocket artillery barrage... how many Russian lives would that have saved letting them do that?

Still Putin's fault, even then.

He turned your country from a joke to what it is now, your lack of respect suggests you are Ukrainian or Jewish... you might want to get that looked at.

I would have waited for the Ukraine to try something, at the end of the day. And simply come up with a counter for it, then launched a counter-offensive. This is important. The war will be harder, but it will have more legitimacy.

And I can understand that, but legitimacy from Whom?

How many of these Russian soldiers you claim to care so much about would be lost in the initial Orc invasion of the Crimea?

The Soviet Union was not in a great situation when the Germans attacked them, but how much better would it have been if they had attacked German forces first.

Considering their behaviour during their time on Soviet territory I don't think many at the time would think less of the Soviets for starting things off, but then hindsight is 20/20.

You are so eager to please the west you are willing to let them dismember you so you don't look like the bad guy.

And to be fair for quite a few years that was Putins mistake too, but now he gets it... wonder how long it will be before you grow up.

Rather less than waiting for that 35-40 mil population country to attack you first and do you serious initial damage before you could respond...

And then basically do what you are doing now.

And to what lengths do you have to screw up everything, for something like this to be the only option?

Zelensky and Poroshenko refused to follow their obligations under the Minsk agreement they screwed up, and now the Ukraine and Russia are paying for their fuckups.

And make no mistake, this can all escalate to the lengths where you might as well be questioning the legitimacy of Austria-Hungary's ultimatum to Serbia during the July Crisis. No-one remembers that shit anymore, or whose fault was what. But everyone does still know about WW1. And WW2 which followed on 20 years later from it.

Who gives a **** about how this will be remembered... it wont be the west, so it might be honest.

But I doubt anyone on this forum will survive to see it.

To avoid very young recruits, Russia must employ Syrian soldiers (well equipped), who are also grateful to Russia. The Syrians are well experienced and loyal.

Any escalation would be to add HATO, in which case soldiers no longer become relevant... long range missiles of all types then become key.

Werewolf, magnumcromagnon, kvs, nomadski and Hole like this post

sundoesntrise

Post  sundoesntrise Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:34 am

Daily update from Strelkov

For a general overview, there is still little data, so I will note the changes in the operational situation that have become known by this morning

The left flank of the Southern Front (Nikolaev-Voskresensk) - Russian troops created a bridgehead on the right bank of the Southern Bug.
    My comment: "spread fingers strike" continues to evolve. Instead of concentrating efforts on encircling the Donetsk grouping of the enemy and speedily clearing the Left Bank of the Dnieper, they continue to "inflate a bubble" in a secondary direction, requiring a very large expenditure of units to control the liberated territory and maintainexpanding front line. I will not criticize - the command may have its own plans and reasons, but ... It seems to me personally that awareness of the realities of the operational situation should have adjusted the operational plans. Until I see it.

Krivoy Rog direction - no new information yet.

On the right flank, as expected, the offensive continues to develop to cover the city of Gulyai-Polye from the east and west. Will the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the military battalions turn this city into another "fortress", or will they prefer to retreat, we will soon find out.

Fierce battles continue to liquidate the remnants of the Volnovakha garrison with a simultaneous advance to the northwest and north of this city. What should (theoretically) force the Armed Forces of Ukraine to start leaving their field positions in the area west of Dokuchaevsk today - in order to avoid tactical encirclements outside large settlements, which is fraught for the Armed Forces of Ukraine with a quick defeat and destruction of the encircled.
    Near Mariupol - the occupation of all suburbs is almost completed. I hope the assault is not expected

Front of the LPR - no significant changes. The adjoining flank of the RF Armed Forces is "drawn" just north of Izyum. But how much the picture corresponds to reality - I will not undertake to judge.

On other fronts, there is no reliable information yet

https://www.russiadefence.net/t8756-russian-special-military-operation-in-ukraine-5
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:46 am

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 2nd

The party support by district in the 2012 election to the Rada in Ukraine.

Red - Communist Party
    Blue - Party of Regions
    White - "Batkivshina" (Yulia Tymoshenko)
    Pink - Udar (V. Klitchko)
    Yellow - Svoboda

The Banderite-Nazi party Svoboda outlines the Banderastan core. It is interesting that the dominant distribution is from two parties
    that were "pro-Russian". The Party of Regions and the Communist Party have nothing in common with Banderites.

Werewolf, d_taddei2, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, nomadski, LMFS, Backman and Mir like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:53 am

S400 first kill

Wow 150km , against su27

That is certainly a record in terms of use during combat

Feel sorry for the pilot, get rid of the damn nazis and the insane asses there

Big_Gazza, JohninMK and Yugo90 like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:55 am

thegopnik wrote:Russian special military operation in Ukraine #5 Asb_110

1st combat use

Signal to NATzO.

GarryB, Werewolf, d_taddei2, Hannibal Barca, par far, Big_Gazza, JohninMK and like this post

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:56 am

ArgentinaGuard wrote:

No, Russia doesn't even allow volunteers to join from Russia.

They need people who can speak Russian and interact with civilians, understand ins and outs of society and etc.

Belarusians would fit here, but they are not being deployed.

Werewolf and Mir like this post

Backman
    Backman

Post  Backman Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:59 am

GarryB, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, kvs, JohninMK, miketheterrible, LMFS and like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 am