Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+44
Russian_Patriot_
Hole
Big_Gazza
Isos
Regular
T-47
Book.
SeigSoloyvov
eehnie
miketheterrible
Arctic_Fox
TheGeorgian
Cplnew83
KoTeMoRe
hoom
GunshipDemocracy
franco
Project Canada
galicije83
OminousSpudd
PapaDragon
Benya
wilhelm
EKS
Mindstorm
sepheronx
flamming_python
AbsoluteZero
Viktor
kvs
Werewolf
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
Zivo
TR1
George1
lorenzopopov
TheArmenian
medo
Cyberspec
Pugnax
Klingsor
GarryB
Austin
48 posters

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 Empty Re: Typhoon MRAP family vehicles

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:47 am

Excellent footage of Kamaz Typhoon truck surviving a massive IED in testing, as well as small arms fire:

Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:10 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:Excellent footage of Kamaz Typhoon truck surviving a massive IED in testing, as well as small arms fire:
    Do you know what the weight of the mine was (anyone)? The results were very respectable for both tests... - The second hit on the vehicle was much larger than small arms fire, or at least it looks that way.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:23 am

Mike E wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:Excellent footage of Kamaz Typhoon truck surviving a massive IED in testing, as well as small arms fire:
    Do you know what the weight of the mine was (anyone)? The results were very respectable for both tests... - The second hit on the vehicle was much larger than small arms fire, or at least it looks that way.

I can't say for sure, but on the lighter side of life you see a V. Putin sighting at 3:21 of the video...Very Happy
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 am

Mike E wrote:

In the video he said it can withstand 8kg explosive of "trajectory", i think he meant EFP, but maybe it's just 8kg explosive device.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:33 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Mike E wrote:

I can't say for sure, but on the lighter side of life you see a V. Putin sighting at 3:21 of the video...Very Happy
    Holy crap! You just found Putin's double! 

Thanks Werewolf, that seems to be right.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    Mike E wrote:

In the video he said it can withstand 8kg explosive of "trajectory", i think he meant EFP, but maybe it's just 8kg explosive device.

"Trajectory" makes it sound like they're talking about shaped charges which is highly doubtful, very few MBT's can survive 8 kg's worth of shaped charge and that's with ERA for that matter and it's absolutely not possible for an MRAP to survive such circumstances. By "trajectory" they probably mean IED's designed to fire the explosive's fragments in one direction to maximize damage on vehicles, which sounds much more reasonable and realistic. Either way the new Kamaz Typhoon vehicles are fulfilling their role as an MRAP and their design parameters (if not exceeding them), and living up to their high expectations.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am

Mike E wrote:

They did not say what the size was in the actual test. But later they say it can survive a blast from 8 kg TNT equivalent explosion.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:14 am

i am not sure if this vehicle belongs to typhoon family

Ural-4320VV armored vehicle
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 Oboronexpo2014part2-11

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 Oboronexpo2014part2-12

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Deliveries kicking in thumbsup

Russia's Defense Ministry has received for the military operation 30 armored vehicles "Typhoon"
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:21 am

30 Kamaz Typhoon's are officially in service...

"Typhoon" for the Defense Ministry
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 am

The Kamaz 53949 MRAP the newest armored vehicle of “Typhoon” family for Airborne Troops, Marines and Army.

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 0_bb9bd_249498ef_XL

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 0_bb9bf_7f54fe6_XL

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1136090.html

MMBR likes this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Troops in the south of Russia got another 20 armored vehicles "Typhoon"
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Typhoon surviving massive IED:

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Armored vehicle KAMAZ-63969. Interview in three parts with the chief designer of "KAMAZ".

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 0_11bd33_1cdf278c_orig

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 0_11bd39_fb074d8f_orig

MMBR likes this post

AbsoluteZero
    AbsoluteZero

Post  AbsoluteZero Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:51 am

Found these images from mp.net

It says Kamaz typhoon but they seem different in the front..

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 RwK0i6X
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 3QlP5Y3
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 MpapOXC
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 W3HRbSz
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 Hw47MMy

MMBR likes this post

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 Empty KAMAZ Typhoon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 am

AbsoluteZero wrote:Found these images from mp.net

It says Kamaz typhoon but they seem different in the front..

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 RwK0i6X
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 3QlP5Y3
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 MpapOXC
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 W3HRbSz
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 Hw47MMy

There's different variations of the Kamaz Typhoon, there's the Kamaz-63968 Typhoon-K:

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 29april14-10-L

...Then there's the Kamaz-63969 Typhoon which is the one in your photos:

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 3 OOuJZzS

The former is a modular APC, the latter is a dedicated MRAP. Of course there's also the competing Ural Typhoons.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Russia to Roll Out New Armored Truck Taifun-U on Victory Day

The Ural Taifun-U mine resistant ambush vehicle was developed by the Ural Auto Works in late 2013 as part of the larger Taifun vehicle program.

The Taifun-U will debut during the upcoming May 9th Victory Day parade in Moscow.

"We handed several test units of Taifun-U to the Defense Ministry for trials… Some of them will take part in the Victory Day parade on Red Square,” the plant’s chief technician, Sergei Suvorov, told Izvestiya newspaper.

According to the paper, the pilot batch of 30 Taifun-U vehicles cost the Defense Ministry just over 1 billion rubles, or 35.8 million individually.

The Taifun-U is equipped with a laminated composite armor, made of steel and ceramic. It provides all-round protection from 14.5-mm armor-piercing rounds and can withstand blasts equivalent to 8 kg of TNT anywhere under its hull.

The vehicle can also be fitted with a remotely controlled weapon station, armed with a 7.62-mm or 12.7-mm machine gun.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150325/1019983466.html#ixzz3VPTKfKlL
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Exclamation
    Something has been bothering me.

Why, from the Typhoon familly - have we only seen MRAPs and APCs?
    Where are the Typhoon mortar carriers, ambulances, AT-vehicles, combat engineering vehicles, IFVs, etc...?

Aaannnnnd

If commonality of parts & logistics is the feature, then why are GAZ (Ural) and KAMAZ based vehicles being intermixed?
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:40 pm

flamming_python wrote:Exclamation

Where are the Typhoon mortar carriers, ambulances, AT-vehicles, combat engineering vehicles, IFVs, etc...?

Probably not ready yet...
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:46 pm

Cyberspec wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:Exclamation

Probably not ready yet...

I think those slimy sacks of nuthin' over at the GAZ and KAMAZ plants haven't quite got the message yet; that no-one wants the bloody proliferation of mismatched MRAP vehicles, 4x4 multirole vehicles and armoured trucks that they just keep adding to every year; but that what the Russian MoD actually needs now is a unified light vehicle family, fulfilling every single role from air-defence to artillery.

Where's Rogozin when you actually (rarely) need him?
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:16 am

Good point...I agree.

I think the current trend to penny pinch everything in the budget might help in that regard. My impression was that they were throwing money around the last few years.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:03 am

The Typhoon was a light (10-15 ton) family of wheeled vehicles... 4-6 wheels, with standard engines and transmissions, wheels etc designed to be a vehicle family... we haven't seen all the vehicles of the armata or Kurganets or boomerang families... why would we expect to have seen all the typhoon vehicles?

Seeing the typhoon vehicles from several companies explains the different vehicle bases... one company will get the contract and one vehicle family will be chosen....
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 am

George1 wrote:i am not sure if this vehicle belongs to typhoon family

Ural-4320VV armored vehicle

No, I don't think this one does, George.

This is a truck that AFAIK is being acquired for the MVD Internal Troops; not the Army - it shouldn't be related to the Typhoon familly.

And good thing too; at least this is one less new armoured truck to worry about that's not part of this mess/inflation of Typhoon/Tajfun/whatever vehicles.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:09 am

Just wait.

Kamaz basically admitted they spent state money on devlopinging some of these armored MRAPs, that the military...does not itself want.

Typhoon family has no practical meaning as far as realistic Russian armed forces procurement is concerned.

And of course as illustrated infamously by the 4 wheel MRAP, Kamaz slapped together a bunch of foreign parts in the worst time to get foreign parts possible.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:44 am

So all MRAPS are not going to be acquired? All these were waste of money?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:10 am