Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+24
Tsavo Lion
George1
aksha
Pinto
dberwal
max steel
Werewolf
IDB
Vann7
sepheronx
mack8
Rpg type 7v
GarryB
NickM
Austin
gaurav
ricky123
medo
Zivo
Viktor
Sujoy
SOC
TR1
Admin
28 posters

Indian Military SAM Systems

Admin
    Admin

Indian Military SAM Systems Empty Indian Military SAM Systems

Post  Admin Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:15 pm

NE India to purchase additional party ZRK "Spider" worth 800 million dollars
    25/08/2009

More news on these subjects, you can see on the personal pages of those

MOSCOW, August 24. (ARMS-TASS). After a lengthy evaluation period the Ministry of Defense of India approved a contract for the purchase of new mobile SAM QRSAM (Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile), designed to provide air defense units, armored columns, as well as key infrastructure, the ground forces of the country, reports the Times of India " .

The program QRSAM planned to buy complexes worth nearly 40 billion rupees (about 820 million dollars) to equip three regiments.

Council for Defense Procurement, chaired by Defense Minister AK Anthony discussed the purchase of complexes last week. Despite the absence of official statements, according to sources, the Times of India ", the winner was the Israeli company Rafael, which offered short-range mobile SAM system" Spider ".

The decision to purchase the Israeli complex was taken due to the fact that established by the Defense Research and Development (DRDO) of India Ministry of Defense, national short-range SAMs, Trishul and Akash does not satisfy the requirements of the Army.

The program to buy complexes QRSAM, intended to replace the systems operated Osa-AKM and Strela-10M Soviet production is carried out over the last few years, but the MoD did not give approval to the signing of a contract for the supply of SAM "Spider" because of the continuing against Israeli firms IAI and Rafael "investigation of corruption in the procurement of SAM Barak-1 at a cost of 11.60 billion rupees. Despite the suspicions, the Indian government failed to make the Israeli companies in the "black list" and continued implementation of critical importance to the country's defense of joint projects.

In particular, in late August last year, the Defense Procurement Board approved an agreement for the purchase of SAM "Spider" for the Indian Air Force. The contract with Raphael for the supply of the country's air force 18 Mobile "Spider" was signed on Sept. 1, 2008. The total cost of the agreement amounted to 260.05 million dollars (about 11377,1875 billion rupees). It is planned that the supply of SAM "Spider" will start in 2,5 years since the signing of the agreement and will be completed in four years.

ZRK "Spider", developed by a consortium of Israeli companies, Rafael and IAI, is a mobile all-weather complex near radius of action, designed to detect and destroy aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles, UAVs and precision munitions. The complex can be used for air defense of strategic facilities, including military bases, points of contact, nuclear power plants, government and other buildings.

Launchers oblique launch SAM "Spider-SR", mounted on a wheeled chassis 6x6, calculated to four missiles. As a weapon uses a combination of ground-based version of SD medium-range Derby air-to-air missiles with active radar-guided missiles and "Python-5 short-range with IR guidance. SAM can be operated in the mode of capture target before launch and after launch SAM-type "fire-and-forget" or with the correction of target data in flight. Time embattled after detection of the target is 5 seconds.

Model division "Spider" consists of one item, a mobile command and control fire, and four to six mobile launchers with optical sensors TOPLITE. Item management is equipped with Three-radar EL/M-2106 ATAR development IAI / "Elta, capable of simultaneously tracking 60 targets at range 35 km, and two terminal operator with data transmission systems to exchange information with rocket launchers, SAMs and neighbors command a higher level of 100 km distance.

ZRK "Spider-SR" is capable of hitting targets in the Gaza 360 deg. at a range of 1 to 15 km and a height of 20 m to 9 m. The system is capable of thousands of hit singles and team goal at any time and any climatic conditions.

"Rafael has also developed a SAM Spider-MR" medium-range missiles, which can hit targets within a radius of 50 km at an altitude of 20 m to 16 km. Unlike "Spider-SR", launched "Spider-MR" equipped with 8 vertical launch missiles. Missiles launched from the use of boosters. In addition, in the "Spider-MR" is a new radar MF-STAR joint IAI / "Elta with a range of up to 100 km. Time shelling target after its detection is 2 seconds.

In addition, the company currently Raphael, together with Indian companies launched a joint project to establish working for the Army of India ADMS medium / long-range (MR / LR-SAM) of new generation, the potential cost that could reach 100 billion rupees (2 , 5 billion).

Права на данный материал принадлежат АРМС-ТАСС
    TR1
    TR1

Indian Military SAM Systems Empty Re: Indian Military SAM Systems

Post  TR1 Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Wait, when did India buy S-300PUM-2?!?!
    I am totally ignorant of this.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 pm

TR1 wrote:Wait, when did India buy S-300PUM-2?!?!

Half past never. India, Syria, and someplace else that I always forget are often mentioned as S-300 users but in reality have never procured the system.

India and an S-300 is an obvious marriage that apparently makes way too much sense to ever happen. They've already got numerous ST-68U TIN SHIELD EW radars around that would be able to serve as supporting assets for an S-300P series SAM. I recall hearing that they did evaluate either the P or the V at one point but weren't impressed with the vehicle components, which didn't work quite well across the entire range of Indian climates.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 am

TR1 wrote:Wait, when did India buy S-300PUM-2?!?!

Here you go , maybe this will help .

India
    Since 1995 India has been negotiating with Russia regarding purchase of the S-300, in response to Pakistan's deployment of M-11 missiles from China. In 1995 Russian Defense Deputy Minister Kokoshin offered to sell S-300 missiles during his trip to India. Following this offer Indian officials started negotiations with the Russian manufacturers, and in August 1995 the Indian Defense Secretary Nambiar went to Russia to observe tests of the missiles near Moscow. The $1 billion purchase is said to include six S-300 systems, with each combat system consisting of 48 missiles. Reportedly in June 1996 27 S-300 missiles were delivered to India.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/s-300pmu.htm

India's BMD system started to take off only from 2001 onwards . Even till date the emphasis is more on developing NLOS - BM than an active BMD system . India's purchase of the S 300 makes complete sense as India had been stating from the mid 90s onwards that there is an active BMD system in place . As we know even till this date the country's indigenous BMD system has still NOT been deployed . I recall that after the Dec 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament by Pakistani backed terrorist when India decided to mobilize troops for an assault on Pakistan it was reported in the Indian media that S 300 have been put on stand by to defend New Delhi .

Last edited by Sujoy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm

Judging by that report India basically bought 1 S-300 regiment for 1 billion if true. It is somewhat strange no India S-300 had being seen.

Sujoy have you got any pictures?

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Viktor wrote:Judging by that report India basically bought 1 S-300 regiment for 1 billion if true. It is somewhat strange no India S-300 had being seen.

Sujoy have you got any pictures?

Am afraid none right now. Infact even the actual number of S 300 bought are questioned by many . Some journalists say India never bought any . However, I do remember that in 2001 there were reports in the media that S 300 will protect New Delhi in case war breaks out with Pakistan. Some newspapers did carry pics of the S 300 , but not of the S 300 stationed anywhere in India.

I remember something similar with India's stealth program as well . It was reported by a leading news paper in 1995 that Indian Jaguars & a few other fighters are undergoing "stealth treatment" . However, later the newspaper retracted.

Last edited by Sujoy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:46 pm

If they actually have them, I'm surprised they haven't shown up on Google Earth. S-300 sites are distinct, and India AD grid isn't what I would call robust.

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:43 pm

I cannot verify the claim or the authencity , however a few Pakistani & even Indian analysts recon that the below picture taken possibly in Pakistan using Google Earth is that of a S 300 site in a north Indian state . Whether this site is still active or not could not be ascertained.

Indian Military SAM Systems Possib10
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 pm

SOC can here be of help.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:48 am

Sujoy wrote:I cannot verify the claim or the authencity , however a few Pakistani & even Indian analysts recon that the below picture taken possibly in Pakistan using Google Earth is that of a S 300 site in a north Indian state . Whether this site is still active or not could not be ascertained.

Indian Military SAM Systems Possib10

lol!

That's a former S-75 position in India (near New Delhi if I remember right) re-armed with two S-125 batteries. There are no S-300P components visible. Just like everywhere else in the nation.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:57 am

As I know, India have S-300V complex.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:31 am

Some more news about India and S 300

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120410/DEFREG03/304100001/India-Boost-Airfield-Defenses

The air defense system of the Indian Air Force is being further strengthened with new inductions and integration of weapons and modern sensors,” Antony said. “All airfields of IAF are being upgraded in a phased manner with modern navigation equipment and runway aids.”

Currently, the Air Force is using Russian-made Osaka and Pechora systems, and eight squadrons of homemade Akash medium-range surface-to-air missile systems have been ordered in the last two years.

The Russian S-300 anti-tactical ballistic missile system also is in use, while a homemade anti-missile missile system, the Pad-3, is under development by the Defence Research and Development Organisation.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Today/Contemporary/325-SAD.html

Further to these developments, news began leaking out about the deployment from 1998 onwards of an Anti-tactical Ballistic Missile screen. This system is to comprise the Russian S-300V ATBM (SA-12) and India's own 'Akash' missile which has a considerable ATBM capability. In March 1997, the Indian press confirmed these reports, stating that one S-300V squadron was being purchased, with more to come in the future
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:51 pm

SOC wrote:

lol!

That's a former S-75 position in India (near New Delhi if I remember right) re-armed with two S-125 batteries. There are no S-300P components visible. Just like everywhere else in the nation.

Thanks for the explanation . I don't think Govt of India or India’s armed forces has ever deployed BMD systems during peace time. Not to the best of my knowledge. I don't know if there are any current satellite images available from Google Earth of any BMD anywhere in India . For example Pakistan obtains overhead recce satellite imagery from Canada ( RADARSAT 1) about India's SAM positions.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 am

Sujoy wrote:
    SOC wrote:

lol!

Thanks for the explanation . I don't think Govt of India or India’s armed forces has ever deployed BMD systems during peace time. Not to the best of my knowledge. I don't know if there are any current satellite images available from Google Earth of any BMD anywhere in India . For example Pakistan obtains overhead recce satellite imagery from Canada ( RADARSAT 1) about India's SAM positions.

You can see the Green Pine BMD radars in India using Google Earth.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

SOC wrote:You can see the Green Pine BMD radars in India using Google Earth.

I recon there is one Green Pine radar near Bangalore and another on the West Coast . However, there are no BMD / SAM sites anywhere near these radars . The Indian Govt. must be under some sort of delusion that they will not face an un provoked air onslaught .
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Sujoy wrote:
    SOC wrote:You can see the Green Pine BMD radars in India using Google Earth.

I recon there is one Green Pine radar near Bangalore and another on the West Coast . However, there are no BMD / SAM sites anywhere near these radars . The Indian Govt. must be under some sort of delusion that they will not face an un provoked air onslaught .

They've got a number of 36D6 radars all over the place, other EW sites, and AEW assets. An unprovoked and undetected aerial incursion is not a realistic threat.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Indian Military SAM Systems Empty Wait, when did India buy S-300PUM-2?!?!

Post  Sujoy Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 am

SOC wrote:They've got a number of 36D6 radars all over the place, other EW sites, and AEW assets.

Correct . The entire South West coast is dotted with such radars & more are coming up.

SOC wrote:An unprovoked and undetected aerial incursion is not a realistic threat.

Unprovoked yes , http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Atlantique_Incident

Undetected less likely

Viktor
    Viktor

Indian Military SAM Systems Empty Indian S-300 SAM

Post  Viktor Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Sorry Sujoy but I found not evidence of India S-300 although there has been much talk about it.

I have found however that India acquired few or maybe even several 36D6 EW radar system but no missiles where bought.

I think of Russian point of view in regard to India AD system is practically nonexistent considering the threats from China and Pakistan.

Fighters are good but not sufficient alone as airfields can come under severe ballistic and cruise missile attack and even bombers stand

off weapons which is in arsenal of every country with more than few fighters.

Thats where effective AD system comes in the play.

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Viktor wrote:Sorry Sujoy but I found not evidence of India S-300 although there has been much talk about it.

Yes , that's true , as I said in my earlier post that the Govt Of India did not disclose it . Here are a few more links about S 300 sold to India .

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/airdef/s-300pmu.htm

Since 1995 India has been negotiating with Russia regarding purchase of the S-300, in response to Pakistan's deployment of M-11 missiles from China. In 1995 Russian Defense Deputy Minister Kokoshin offered to sell S-300 missiles during his trip to India. Following this offer Indian officials started negotiations with the Russian manufacturers, and in August 1995 the Indian Defense Secretary Nambiar went to Russia to observe tests of the missiles near Moscow. The $1 billion purchase is said to include six S-300 systems, with each combat system consisting of 48 missiles. Reportedly in June 1996 27 S-300 missiles were delivered to India.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120410/DEFREG03/304100001/India-Boost-Airfield-Defenses

The air defense system of the Indian Air Force is being further strengthened with new inductions and integration of weapons and modern sensors,” Antony said. “All airfields of IAF are being upgraded in a phased manner with modern navigation equipment and runway aids.”

Currently, the Air Force is using Russian-made Osaka and Pechora systems, and eight squadrons of homemade Akash medium-range surface-to-air missile systems have been ordered in the last two years.

The Russian S-300 anti-tactical ballistic missile system also is in use, while a homemade anti-missile missile system, the Pad-3, is under development by the Defence Research and Development Organisation.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Today/Contemporary/325-SAD.html

Further to these developments, news began leaking out about the deployment from 1998 onwards of an Anti-tactical Ballistic Missile screen. This system is to comprise the Russian S-300V ATBM (SA-12) and India's own 'Akash' missile which has a considerable ATBM capability. In March 1997, the Indian press confirmed these reports, stating that one S-300V squadron was being purchased, with more to come in the future
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Interesting, so what India has S-300PMU1 (1996 model S-300) and S-300V. Where are they placed?

But no pictures. I dont know what to believe. Why do you thing there where no pictures about it?
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Viktor wrote:Interesting, so what India has S-300PMU1 (1996 model S-300) and S-300V. Where are they placed?

I do not know but during the 1999 border war with Pakistan a minister in the central govt had said that S 300 is protecting New Delhi . AFAIK 6 batteries of S 300 PMU2 were purchased to protect as many locations .

Viktor wrote:But no pictures. I dont know what to believe. Why do you thing there where no pictures about it?

The Govt did not announce this deal . It was reported by certain sections of the media who have embedded sources in the Govt. Lack of transparency in defense purchases are nothing new in India and till recently arms dealers were able to swing deals either way . http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20120508/1980276.html
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Sujoy wrote:I do not know but during the 1999 border war with Pakistan a minister in the central govt had said that S 300 is protecting New Delhi . AFAIK 6 batteries of S 300 PMU2 were purchased to protect as many locations .

I know of that event and that statement. But the only picture that might relate India and S-300 from my point of view is that picture
    of 36D6 EW radar standing alone with no missiles around it. Perhaps I`m wrong but we will see.

Sujoy wrote:The Govt did not announce this deal . It was reported by certain sections of the media who have embedded sources in the Govt. Lack of transparency in defense purchases are nothing new in India and till recently arms dealers were able to swing deals either way . http://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20120508/1980276.html

Lack of transparency in defense purchases is nothing new in any country in the world but still we all see that India regularly brags
    around with its best stuff on military parades, exercises and so on. Pictures of all its stuff whether they are bought in transparent or non-transparent way are always there for us to see them and so in picture regard India is transparent as one can be. That`s the main reason I have troubles believing in India S-300, because I think we would have seen it by now for sure if S-300 was bought. But I`m aware I could be dead wrong on this Very Happy .
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Viktor wrote: but still we all see that India regularly brags
    around with its best stuff on military parades, exercises and so on.

And we the taxpayers bear the burnt of such mindless expenditures . First DRDO and HAL will spend billions of taxpayers money trying to develop a system and will eventually import it . Right now DRDO is busy developing an ICBM called AGNI 6 and a TBM called Prahar . Both unwarranted , but someone's inflated ego is involved so what the heck .

Viktor wrote:That`s the main reason I have troubles believing in India S-300, because I think we would have seen it by now for sure if S-300 was bought. But I`m aware I could be dead wrong on this Very Happy .

x2 . Actually your guess is as good as mine . If I ask 10 people in India about the S 300 purchase , 5 will say yes and another 5 will say no . Very Happy
    TR1
    TR1

Indian Military SAM Systems Empty S-300V4 for India

Post  TR1 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:12 am

One thing to think about- S-300V4 will ensure there are many T-80 chassis and power plants still operational in 2020.
    However army wants to phase the T-80 out as they exhaust their resource...hmmm.....

Got my fingers crossed India makes the smart decision and buys Antei-2500...should have done that a decade ago D:
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am

TR1 wrote:One thing to think about- S-300V4 will ensure there are many T-80 chassis and power plants still operational in 2020.
    However army wants to phase the T-80 out as they exhaust their resource...hmmm.....

Got my fingers crossed India makes the smart decision and buys Antei-2500...should have done that a decade ago D:

As it wasn`t interesting enough that Venezuela decided to buy Antei-2500, now is being offered to India and Turkey as well.

I guess as S-400 wont be exported for few more years and S-300 production has ceased so Russia has decided to cash in with Antei-2500.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:11 pm