Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+44
Russian_Patriot_
Hole
Big_Gazza
Isos
Regular
T-47
Book.
SeigSoloyvov
eehnie
miketheterrible
Arctic_Fox
TheGeorgian
Cplnew83
KoTeMoRe
hoom
GunshipDemocracy
franco
Project Canada
galicije83
OminousSpudd
PapaDragon
Benya
wilhelm
EKS
Mindstorm
sepheronx
flamming_python
AbsoluteZero
Viktor
kvs
Werewolf
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
Zivo
TR1
George1
lorenzopopov
TheArmenian
medo
Cyberspec
Pugnax
Klingsor
GarryB
Austin
48 posters

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles

Regular
    Regular

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 Empty Re: Typhoon MRAP family vehicles

Post  Regular Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:24 am

Rolling Eyes well it would be waste of money if it would be foreign company making them.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:27 am

Regular wrote:Rolling Eyes well it would be waste of money if it would be foreign company making them.

Yes, but does this rule apply to all the designs or only specific? And is it just Kamaz or all other manufacturers?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:36 am

sepheronx wrote:So all MRAPS are not going to be acquired? All these were waste of money?

No, some will definitely be bought, though the question of weather the Ural units are actually better is relevant.
    Also, not like the Russian army has a requirement for that many of them at the moment.

I was specifically talking about the 6x6 though.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 am

TR1 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:So all MRAPS are not going to be acquired? All these were waste of money?

No, some will definitely be bought, though the question of weather the Ural units are actually better is relevant.
    Also, not like the Russian army has a requirement for that many of them at the moment.

I was specifically talking about the 6x6 though.

I never understood of the so many models that were popping out so I just ignored it after sometime. But thanks for the info, at least now I understand what is going on (well, a tad bit really). The Urals one looks impressive but do we know much where the parts are coming from?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:27 am

I rather suspect MRAPs are not so much for the military as for border patrol and interior ministry and indeed police units where a BMP or BTR would previously be used.

they are generally designed for low intensity situations rather than full scale warfare.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:01 pm

First of all, having a big fleet of MRAPS are only relevant if You are fighting low intensity conflicts.
    They were needed in Chechnya back in the day.
    Now army is not facing threats of fighting insurgency where IEDs would be biggest threat.
    Internal troops are doing all the fighting in Caucasus and even those guys are not in dire need of MRAPs.
    Of course MRAP features are nice to have in every vehicle, but it does have it's tradeoff too. Especially it shows up in dedicated MRAP vehicles.
    Too much to compromise when it comes to smaller MRAPs.
    On other hand truck with MRAP design and good protection like Typhoon erases gap between BTR and truck. Still commonality with Kamaz trucks mean that Russia can get away with almost no logistic headache. It's not Saudi Arabia.
    Plus development of MRAPs went up in Russia and it gave good know how. Plus it's not like money went abroad. No need to panic.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 am

TR1 wrote:Just wait.

Kamaz basically admitted they spent state money on devlopinging some of these armored MRAPs, that the military...does not itself want.

Typhoon family has no practical meaning as far as realistic Russian armed forces procurement is concerned.

And of course as illustrated infamously by the 4 wheel MRAP, Kamaz slapped together a bunch of foreign parts in the worst time to get foreign parts possible.

Your entitled to your own opinion, but...

In particular, the defense Ministry is very interested in a marine complex. Already decided that, under the sea "armor" will modernize a number of destroyers and other large ships. In addition, in the interests of Russian Ground Forces and Airborne developed a modification of the anti-aircraft missile and gun complex "armor" crawler-based KAMAZ "Typhoon-K".

http://rostec.ru/news/4191

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:24 am

Like I said, I was specifically 6x6 and 4x4.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 am

TR1 wrote:Like I said, I was specifically 6x6 and 4x4.

But it clearly states Typhoon-K, and Typhoon-K is 6x6.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:43 am

Er, should have been more clear.

They have bought batches of the 6x6 armored truck.

But the KAMAZ-636969 was explicitly said by Kamaz themselves that the armed forces don't know what to do with the truck.

http://twower.livejournal.com/1550227.html

Too bad, nice looking vehicle.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:58 pm

I think it's way better protected than BTR series.
    Sure it's not like Kamaz never made vehicles that were never put in the service... Those terrible Vystrel prototypes spring to mind. Maybe foreign buyer will be interested?

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:43 am

30 new Typhoons delivered to special forces of southern military district
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm

"KAMAZ": military tests of "Typhoon" will be completed in 2015
    Mindstorm

Post  Mindstorm Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:06 pm

This interesting video well show the level of protection offered by Тайфун-У and Тайфун-К.

Worth to see it attentively.
    EKS

Post  EKS Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Mindstorm wrote:
    This interesting video well show the level of protection offered by Тайфун-У and Тайфун-К.

Worth to see it attentively.

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm

MRAP Ural Typhoon-U surviving 600 grams of high-explosive:

Surviving 6 KG's of high-explosive:

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 pm

"Typhoon-U" for the 10th Special Forces Brigade

Curious photo report about an experimental batch of armored vehicles Ural-63095 "Typhoon-U", received by the 10th separate special purpose brigade of the Southern Military District stationed in Molkino near Krasnodar. According to the known data, the brigade received 30 cars "Typhoon-U" for military trials.

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 689850_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 691598_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 690029_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 690424_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 691158_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 692106_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 692310_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 2270756_original

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 693531_original

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1384404.html

MMBR likes this post

eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:30 am

George1 wrote:Kamaz Typhoon is a family of Russian multi-functional, modular, armoured, mine resistant vehicles. The Typhoon family is part of Russia's large vehicle Typhoon program.

KamAZ-63968 Typhoon:

Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 Kamaz-63968-typhoon_1

Ural-63099 Typhoon:
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 1024px-Ural-63099_armored_vehicle-2012-04

Kamaz-63969 Typhoon:
    Typhoon MRAP family vehicles - Page 4 800px-Kamaz_Typhoon

It seems not that they are light vehicles. According to wikipedia, the first of the three seems to be of 21 tons, and the second seems to be of 24.5 tons, with the third being a development of the first. They are approximately of the weight of the Kurganets and Bumerangs.

A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 am

eehnie wrote:Kamaz Typhoon is a family of Russian multi-functional, modular, armoured, mine resistant vehicles. The Typhoon family is part of Russia's large vehicle Typhoon program.

A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

Well they are MRAPs basically, they need to be heavy. They are on pair in weight with most of foreign solutions too, Renault Higuard, TITUS, Cougar HE, Lazar 2 etc.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:59 am

Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

Well they are MRAPs basically, they need to be heavy. They are on pair in weight with most of foreign solutions too, Renault Higuard, TITUS, Cougar HE, Lazar 2 etc.

I like the size of the new Typhoons, I think it is the right size for armored vehicles looking forward. Lighter armored vehicle projects are failing to pass the tests of the armour in recent years, becoming unsuccessful. But the new generation of Russian IFVs and APCs (Kurganets-25, Bumerang-25, Typhoon-U, Typhoon-K and the new Bulat) can become successful, with maybe the Atom Project, that is very interesting.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:33 am

eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:A little surprised, but it is not bad. The new Typhoons seem to be armored trucks of middle size.

I like the size of the new Typhoons, I think it is the right size for armored vehicles looking forward. Lighter armored vehicle projects are failing to pass the tests of the armour in recent years, becoming unsuccessful. But the new generation of Russian IFVs and APCs (Kurganets-25, Bumerang-25, Typhoon-U, Typhoon-K and the new Bulat) can become successful, with maybe the Atom Project, that is very interesting.

What i like about Typhoon is that its actually appealing to the eyes, which most of the USSR/Russian equipment in past wasnt. Atom i am not sure, if they use its weapon station on Kurganets 25 i assume, but keeping French platform i highly doubt.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:42 am

Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

What i like about Typhoon is that its actually appealing to the eyes, which most of the USSR/Russian equipment in past wasnt. Atom i am not sure, if they use its weapon station on Kurganets 25 i assume, but keeping French platform i highly doubt.

The project is being resumed without France. Check the Atom topic.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 am

Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Atom will most likely be a high-quality export market item. I like the looks of the new Russian armor platforms too, however form follows function...even if the old soviet armor wasn't as appealing to the eyes, they performed well enough.

Post  Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:50 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Atom will most likely be a high-quality export market item. I like the looks of the new Russian armor platforms too, however form follows function...even if the old soviet armor wasn't as appealing to the eyes, they performed well enough.

I agree on that, its most likely being developed till the end to be an export model for those countries that have better feels for something coming from the West.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:23 am

RIA Novosti. Russian "defense industry" will create the b] first prototype of the newest car "Typhoon" for the Russian Airborne Troops[/b] in the second half of this year, he told reporters on Thursday the commander, Colonel-General Vladimir Shamanov.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160121/1362711614.html&usg=ALkJrhiHznWjP6CdTfSoqb6VsI6GxDHxjA

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am