Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+60
thegopnik
LMFS
marcellogo
calripson
lyle6
william.boutros
Rodion_Romanovic
The-thing-next-door
PhSt
magnumcromagnon
Isos
dino00
Hole
miketheterrible
ult
d_taddei2
T-47
Enera
George1
PapaDragon
kvs
eehnie
BliTTzZ
OminousSpudd
Arctic_Fox
Benya
JohninMK
Project Canada
KoTeMoRe
higurashihougi
rtech
sheytanelkebir
sepheronx
franco
cracker
Werewolf
NickM
Sujoy
Mindstorm
Regular
AlfaT8
Mr.Kalishnikov47
TR1
Zivo
flamming_python
lorenzopopov
Russian Patriot
TheArmenian
Cyberspec
Acrab
Tovarish
NationalRus
Pervius
medo
Andy_Wiz
IronsightSniper
GarryB
Admin
Viktor
Austin
64 posters

Infantry Mobility Vehicles

Benya
    Benya

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 Empty Re: Infantry Mobility Vehicles

Post  Benya Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:09 pm

The mobility of an IMV, combined with the firepower of an IFV

Russian Company VPK unveils new unmanned Tigr 4x4 armoured vehicle with 30mm cannon.

At Army 2016, the International Military Technical Forum which takes place in Patriotic Park near Moscow, the Russian Defense Company VPK (Voyenno-Promishlennaya Kompaniya) unveils new unmanned version of its famous Tigr 4x4 armoured vehicle fitted with a new remotely weapon station armed with a 30mm gun.

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 Russian_Company_VPK_unveils_new_unmanned_Tigr_4x4_armoured_vehicle_with_30mm_cannon_640_001
    Tigr 4x4armoured vehicle with Remote Controlled Weapon Station armed with 2A72 30mm automatic cannon at Army-2016 International Military Technical Forum near Moscow, Russia.

The vehicle has received a remote controlled weapon station (RCWS) armed with a 30 mm Shipunov 2A72 automatic cannon. The unmanned Tigr can search, track and destroy targets in automatic mode.

The Company VPK has developed the armoured vehicle in conjunction with JSC 766th Department of Engineering and Manufacturing Complement (Russian acronym: UPTK, Upravlenie Proizvodstvenno-Tekhnologicheskoi Komplektacii) as per the Russian Ministry of Defense`s (MoD) order.

"The RCWS (Remote Controlled Weapon Station) mounted on the new modification of the Tigr vehicle is unified with the remote controlled turret of the Uran-9 unmanned combat ground vehicle (UCGV) developed by the 766th UPTK. Both modules are armed with a 2A72 automatic cannon chambered for 30x165mm round as the main weapon," said the Director General of VPK, Alexander Krasovitsky. "VPK has become the first defense enterprise in the world to integrate a 30 mm automatic cannon with a lightweight two-axle LUV with a combat weight less than 9 t, while retaining the vehicle`s maneuverability and cross-country capacity.", he added.

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 Russian_Company_VPK_unveils_new_unmanned_Tigr_4x4_armoured_vehicle_with_30mm_cannon_640_002

At Army 2016, the International Military Technical Forum which takes place in Patriotic Park near Moscow, the Russian Defense Company VPK (Voyenno-Promishlennaya Kompaniya) unveils new unmanned version of its famous Tigr 4x4 armoured vehicle fitted with a new remotely weapon station armed with a 30mm gun.

The unmanned variant of the Tigr LUV is based on the VPK-233115 Tigr-M SPN Special Purpose Automobile (Russian acronym: ASN, Avtomobil Spetsialnogo Naznacheniya) also developed by the Military Industrial Company.

The vehicle can be used for combat-reconnaissance operations, fire support missions, and convoys. The main armament can destroy light and medium armoured vehicles on the modern battlefield.

The 2A72 30mm automatic cannon can also be used as anti-personnel and anti-armour weapon.

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 Russian_Company_VPK_unveils_new_unmanned_Tigr_4x4_armoured_vehicle_with_30mm_cannon_640_003
    Close view of Remote Controlled Weapon Station mounted on Tigr 4x4 armoured vehicle

Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/army-2016_show_daily_news_coverage_report/russian_company_vpk_unveils_new_unmanned_tigr_4x4_armoured_vehicle_with_30mm_cannon_11009161.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Russian troops to soon receive Tigr armored vehicle with Arbalet weapon station. russia

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/902292?_ga=1.130072399.1337049799.1447427261
    Arctic_Fox
    Arctic_Fox

Post  Arctic_Fox Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:30 am

K4386 "Typhoon VDV":
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:45 pm

I would not rule out a transfer of the Iveco LMV to internal security forces, for the decommission of the Iveco LMV as foreign vehicle. It would be a no cost solution.

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 FSB%2BTsSN%2Bveh%25C3%25ADculo%2Bdagest%25C3%25A1n%2Babril%2B2016%2B6

Unusual variant of Tigr used by MVD/FSB spotted some months ago in Southern parts of Russia *cough* *cough*
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Militarov wrote:Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 FSB%2BTsSN%2Bveh%25C3%25ADculo%2Bdagest%25C3%25A1n%2Babril%2B2016%2B6

Unusual variant of Tigr used by MVD/FSB spotted some months ago in Southern parts of Russia *cough* *cough*
    I had a video of that in operation (probably in the same place) that a friend sent me a while back. Damned if I can find it now.
    Arctic_Fox
    Arctic_Fox

Post  Arctic_Fox Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:09 am

OminousSpudd wrote:
    Militarov wrote:Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 FSB%2BTsSN%2Bveh%25C3%25ADculo%2Bdagest%25C3%25A1n%2Babril%2B2016%2B6

I had a video of that in operation (probably in the same place) that a friend sent me a while back. Damned if I can find it now.

Here you go:

Post  Guest Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:15 am

Arctic_Fox wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:

Here you go:

Ye that video was shared on Multimedia thread few months ago.
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:36 am

Arctic_Fox wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:

Here you go:
    Thanks Arctic. That is indeed the one.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:26 am

For reconnaissance roles, I do not think this kind of light utility vehicles have a chance. The reconnaissance work is changing fast, and the old way to do the job is being surpassed by the new aerial unmanned technology.

It has been announced that the tanks of the Armata platform will be equiped with drones (likely small to very small, but also likely more than one).

The future reconnaissance vehicles will be one step above this (in the refered to reconaissance). Surely it will not be a small vehicle with a drone or two. The reconaissance vehicles in the future will be likely mobile stations of decent size for the control of multiple drones working at same time. The Typhoon-U and the Typhoon-K can take also this role with a crew of drone operators.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:32 am

franco wrote:Army to order some of the new Skorpion vehicles for testing with the Spetsnaz and Reconnaissance units.
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1436755.html

https://defencerussia.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/corporation-zaschita-to-supply-the-defense-ministry-with-armored-vehicles-party-skorpion-lsha-2b/

Some of this news has been finally confirmed?
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:49 pm

Benya wrote:A bit more detailed article about the concept of the "superlight brigade".

Russian armed forces have created a new superlight infantry battalion equipped with UAZ Patriot

A superlight infantry battalion has been formed in the Samara Region. It is unique as far as the Russian Armed Forces are concerned. The unit shall operate UAZ Patriot wheeled vehicles mounting Kalashnikov machineguns, the press office of the Central Military District told journalists.

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 Russian_armed_forces_have_created_a_new_superlight_infantry_battalion_equipped_with_UAZ_Patriot_640_001
    Russian-made UAZ-3163 Patriot 4x4 light tactical vehicle

"Building on the lessons learnt from the fighting of recent years, a superlight infantry battalion has been stood up. It is the first unit of the kind ever in the Russian Armed Forces," the press office said.

The UAZ Patriots in the battalion’s inventory will be equipped with 7.62-mm Kalashnikov machineguns and other weapons as required. Around 90 Patriots are due to the brigade the battalion reports to before the end of the year.

The activation of the battalion will boost the brigade’s mobility by several times on military operations in urbanized terrain and enable it to raid the enemy’s flanks and unprotected positions with lightning speed. The unit’s personnel are receiving tactical training and conducting range practice at the Roshchinsky Training Area in the Samara Region while waiting for the arrival of their new materiel.

The newly infantry brigade of the Central Military District was formed in the Samara Region on November 30. It comprises infantry, field artillery, scout, combat engineer and other units. Its manning with enlisted personnel is under way.

Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/december_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/russian_armed_forces_has_created_a_new_superlight_infantry_battalion_equipped_with_uaz_patriot_tass_11412161.html

Well, those support units of the brigade (field artillery, combat engineer), would need heavier equipment no matter what. These UAZ Patriots are indeed looking like technicals (no armor, no heavy weapons (except ATGMs maybe), so I totally agree with VladimirSahin's statement. In my opinion, the only viable task for this type of units would be COIN (counter-insurgency), but only with a bit heavier vehicles like the Typhoon-series, since these UAZ Patriots do not offer adequate mine/IED and projectile protection.

Quoting the article from other topic, to have here another of the options for infantry mobility vehicles being considered.

For me the Typhoon 6x6 are far superior to all the rest for combat roles.

Smaller vehicles are enough for light utility roles out of combat areas, or to work with the security forces in the internal security.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:19 pm

eehnie wrote:
    Benya wrote:.........

Well, those support units of the brigade (field artillery, combat engineer), would need heavier equipment no matter what. These UAZ Patriots are indeed looking like technicals (no armor, no heavy weapons (except ATGMs maybe), so I totally agree with VladimirSahin's statement. In my opinion, the only viable task for this type of units would be COIN (counter-insurgency), but only with a bit heavier vehicles like the Typhoon-series, since these UAZ Patriots do not offer adequate mine/IED and projectile protection.

Quoting the article from other topic, to have here another of the options for infantry mobility vehicles being considered.

Smaller vehicles are enough for light utility roles out of combat areas, or to work with the security forces in the internal security.

And this is same discussion we had over bikes and ATVs.

Those UAZ Patriots are NOT technicals. They are mode of transportation.

You do not engage the enemy in Patriots. You approach the enemy's general location in them and then dismount and then proceed on foot to engage the enemy.

Using Typhoons for this role is pointless because they are slow, complex and cost as much as full IFVs while being inferior to them in all aspects.

You will never sneak up on anyone in Typhoon 6x6. And you will never leave quickly in it.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Arctic_Fox wrote:K4386 "Typhoon VDV":

Remote controlled turret has 2A42M now.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Some more information has come out on the new brigade being formed. It appears 2 battalions to operate using Patriots and 1 battalion to operate in BTR-82A's.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2328591.html

Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:40 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    Benya wrote:.........

You do not engage the enemy in Patriots. You approach the enemy's general location in them and then dismount and then proceed on foot to engage the enemy.

Using Typhoons for this role is pointless because they are slow, complex and cost as much as full IFVs while being inferior to them in all aspects.

You will never sneak up on anyone in Typhoon 6x6. And you will never leave quickly in it.

Well yes, you are right. I was just wondering that how these UAZ Patriots will act in case of an armed conflict. Well, the 6x6 Typhoons are too heavy indeed, but I was thinking about 4x4 vehicles like the "Tigr" or the "Rys". My point was that what if a Patriot-equipped unit - God forbid - gets ambushed and whatnot.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Benya wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:............

Well yes, you are right. I was just wondering that how these UAZ Patriots will act in case of an armed conflict. Well, the 6x6 Typhoons are too heavy indeed, but I was thinking about 4x4 vehicles like the "Tigr" or the "Rys". My point was that what if a Patriot-equipped unit - God forbid - gets ambushed and whatnot.

Getting ambushed is always the possibility of course but fun part is that purpose of these units is to ambush the enemy themselves. Cool

Basically they have vehicles to save them footwork.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:57 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Benya wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:............

Getting ambushed is always the possibility of course but fun part is that purpose of these units is to ambush the enemy themselves.  Cool

Patriots once again seem to be a working in progress from what Russia learns in Syria (and Ukraine) and the small wars in its periphery (NK, Ossetia), Typhoon style Strykers worked A-OK in Iraq, until the EFP's became commonplace. So basically the Typhoons will be part of the button-up game in select situations where you would need Heavy UV's, MRAPS and armored trucks.

Also Typhoons running 110 kmh is (marginally) faster than the usual 50/60MPH MRAPS used to patrol in Iraq and parts of Afghanistan.
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:30 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

Getting ambushed is always the possibility of course but fun part is that purpose of these units is to ambush the enemy themselves.  Cool

So, "park the car, sneak upon the enemy, hit and then run" would be the ideal tactic.

KoTeMoRe wrote:Patriots once again seem to be a working in progress from what Russia learns in Syria (and Ukraine) and the small wars in its periphery (NK, Ossetia), Typhoon style Strykers worked A-OK in Iraq, until the EFP's became commonplace. So basically the Typhoons will be part of the button-up game in select situations where you would need Heavy UV's, MRAPS and armored trucks.

Also Typhoons running 110 kmh is (marginally) faster than the usual 50/60MPH  MRAPS used to patrol in Iraq and parts of Afghanistan.

That's more like it. thumbsup . I'm curious about the tactics and capabilities of these type of units, but we have to wait until a large military exercise to see their combat potential unfold.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:26 pm

Well sorry but if I would be in the attacked side, I promise you to wait not until the attacking unit parks their Patriots and prepares to attack me. I would receive them warmly. This is the reality. And the same if they go with other light semiarmoured vehicles that are not passing the tests as combat vehicles. There is some reason why they have as many troubles with the tests. Then better if you park out of the range of the portable/man-portable weapons (until 8.8Km in Russian units + 120mm rocket assisted projectiles) that I can have.

Between the smaller semiarmoured and unarmoured vehicles that have not enough protection I can understand that the faster is the winner. More still if the faster is between the cheapests. Then I can understand that the Patriot is not in a bad position between the entire bench:

GAZ 2330 Tigr
    Iveco LMV
    UAZ 3163 Patriot

GAZ 3937 Vodnik
    Skorpion 2M
    Trecol 39294
    Typhoon 4x4
    Falkatus

These vehicles are good for light utility roles (mainly transport) in non contested areas. Also for the clasical roles of the security forces, like small combat with internal militias and organizations without heavy warfare and without the best portable/man-portable weapons. But are plagued of problems by weakness for combat environments. Even to do transport in areas contested by armies with decent warfare and organization.

With the Typhoon 6x6 the history is different. In urban environments the Patriots can play with the building protection, but still, I would not take this way. Still can be destroyed but the people inside have significantly bigger chance of surviving. This is key in contested areas.

PS: To apply the lessons learned in combat in Syria, it is necessary to take into account that the Syrian war is by nature a civil war (internal war, with only limited external support). The Syrian opposition is not armed in the level of an official army. This is why some tactics work.

Last edited by eehnie on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:29 am

Things are really getting crazy out there:

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 KwPksrS
    BliTTzZ

Post  BliTTzZ Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

Hm, interesting. If remember correctly 30mm automated module already exists for Tiger. Can't see the difference yet.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:24 am

PapaDragon wrote:

Full video:

Arctic_Fox
    Arctic_Fox

Post  Arctic_Fox Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Can anyone id this vehicle?
    Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 16299014_1644639332507460_3534301284530219176_n
    Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 16299533_1644639359174124_6168353456531572759_n
    Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 16298484_1644639362507457_3923587186208598874_n
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Arctic_Fox wrote:Can anyone id this vehicle?
    Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 16299014_1644639332507460_3534301284530219176_n
    Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 16299533_1644639359174124_6168353456531572759_n
    Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 9 16298484_1644639362507457_3923587186208598874_n

CAN AM Commander MAX MTV. This should be the XT model.

http://can-am.brp.com/off-road/side-by-side/commander.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:14 am