Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+52
andalusia
Karl Haushofer
11E
George1
gbu48098
Isos
thedrunkengeneral
wilhelm
zorobabel
elconquistador
bitcointrader70
Nomad5891
MiddleKingdomer
bren_tann
mnztr
DerWolf
calripson
Azi
Arrow
SeigSoloyvov
owais.usmani
flamming_python
Hannibal Barca
Maximmmm
mavaff
Yugo90
The_Observer
ATLASCUB
Rasisuki Nebia
Boshoed
auslander
par far
nero
AlfaT8
GarryB
lancelot
Vann7
Finty
franco
PapaDragon
Rodion_Romanovic
Backman
miketheterrible
LMFS
littlerabbit
medo
Hole
lyle6
VARGR198
kvs
JohninMK
magnumcromagnon
56 posters

The Situation in the Ukraine. #29

JohninMK
    JohninMK

The Situation in the Ukraine. #29 - Page 27 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #29

Post  JohninMK 19/04/21, 07:40 am

gbu48098 wrote:
    There is deeper conspiracy in works that is not out for general public or arm chairs yet

From my arm chair, pray tell us more.

Meanwhile those British ships are just like those RAF Typhoons going to Romania earlier in last week, a Ukrainian spin on a prior commitment.

Sierra Alpha
    @skywatcherintel
    ·
    8h
    Clickbait story.

1x Type 23 Frigate and 1x Type 45 Destroyer will pay a routine and planned visit to the region during next months Carrier Strike Group 21 deployment.

VARGR198 and Finty like this post

gbu48098

The Situation in the Ukraine. #29 - Page 27 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #29

Post  gbu48098 19/04/21, 07:46 am

JohninMK wrote:
    gbu48098 wrote:
    There is deeper conspiracy in works that is not out for general public or arm chairs yet

From my arm chair, pray tell us more.

Meanwhile those British ships are just like those RAF Typhoons going to Romania earlier in last week, a Ukrainian spin on a prior commitment.

Sierra Alpha
    @skywatcherintel
    ·
    8h
    Clickbait story.

1x Type 23 Frigate and 1x Type 45 Destroyer will pay a routine and planned visit to the region during next months Carrier Strike Group 21 deployment.

My guess is tame Germany and isolate Russia completely from "civilized world".....Pyramid is becoming a bit shaky to sustain. Keep Rooskies busy in case China gets ideas on Taiwan and it turns into hot zone.....lots of npr and ncr...you can pick you n and r for input.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK 19/04/21, 08:09 am

gbu48098 wrote:....lots of npr and ncr...you can pick you n and r for input.

I am not sure what you mean, actually don't have a clue.
    gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 19/04/21, 08:15 am

JohninMK wrote:
    gbu48098 wrote:....lots of npr and ncr...you can pick you n and r for input.

I am not sure what you mean, actually don't have a clue.

Since I am arm chair and general common civilian, it was my guess as this level of escalation on Donbass after so many years doesn't make sense. PRactically suicide for Ukraine. I think Taiwan is one possibility and use Donbass as a switch to turn on when necessary. Its just permutation and combinations and you can input your own n and selector values, basically saying I got no clue other than rejecting the obvious....
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot 19/04/21, 08:52 am

gbu48098 wrote:Since I am arm chair and general common civilian, it was my guess as this level of escalation on Donbass after so many years doesn't make sense. PRactically suicide for Ukraine. I think Taiwan is one possibility and use Donbass as a switch to turn on when necessary. Its just permutation and combinations and you can input your own n and selector values, basically saying I got no clue other than rejecting the obvious....
    It is pretty simple actually. This is Uncle Sham's latest attempt at sabotaging Nord Stream 2.

By sheer "coincidence" these US and UK ships were supposed to enter the Black Sea a couple of weeks right after Ukraine started putting their troops on the contact line. Mind you I don't remember the US sending two destroyers at once to the Black Sea, like, ever. Let alone together with UK ships.

flamming_python and Yugo90 like this post

Finty
    Finty

The Situation in the Ukraine. #29 - Page 27 Empty Why Russia may not be planning the invasion that Ukraine fears

Post  Finty 19/04/21, 08:55 am

Why Russia may not be planning the invasion that Ukraine fears
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56746144

BBC wrote:he build-up has been impossible to ignore: thousands of Russian troops deployed towards Ukraine; US warships reportedly heading for the Black Sea and Russia's foreign ministry warning them off "for their own good".

As the hostile rhetoric and military moves around Ukraine have intensified, Western politicians have begun fearing an open invasion and urging Russia's Vladimir Putin to "de-escalate".

Russia has refused: the defence ministry this week insisted its moves were in response to "threatening" Nato exercises in Europe.

Then Mr Putin got a phone-call from the White House.

'Biden blinked'
    "In Putin's game of brinkmanship, Biden blinked first," argues journalist Konstantin Eggert, after Joe Biden made his first call to the Kremlin and proposed meeting Mr Putin "in the coming months".

It's just weeks after the US president agreed with an interviewer that Russia's leader was "a killer".

President Biden's new move is now a new topic of debate - disaster prevention or a mistaken concession - but in the run-up to a summit, the risk of major military action by Russia certainly fades.

"That would be really unstatesmanlike: a slap in Biden's face," Mr Eggert told the BBC. "But the fact that it was Biden who suggested they meet does give Putin the edge."

Hosts and guests alike on political chat shows have been hailing Moscow's show of force, claiming their country stood up to US and Nato hostility. One commentator suggested President Biden's "nerves had failed him".

Senator Konstantin Kosachev was widely quoted arguing that the US had realised it was "impossible to achieve military superiority over Russia" and the two countries needed to return to dialogue.

Russia's recent ostentatious troop movement always looked like grandstanding by a country that's given up trying to be liked and now wants the West to fear it instead.

When Vladimir Putin sent troops and hardware into eastern Ukraine seven years ago, those were secret operations that are still denied to this day.

This time, Russia seems more intent on sending signals than soldiers.

"My take is that it's about deterrence," says Andrei Kortunov, head of the Russian International Affairs Council. He points out Kyiv's own recent reinforcements in eastern Ukraine and argues that Russia's actions are to avert any move to retake areas controlled by Russian-backed militants.

One senior Kremlin official warned that such military action would be "the beginning of the end of Ukraine", whose government was children "playing with matches".

These days, Russia has an excuse to intervene: some half a million people in the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk "People's Republics" of eastern Ukraine have been issued with Russian passports since fighting broke out in 2014.

"I think it would be difficult for the Kremlin not to come to their rescue if these 'republics' faced a threat of major defeat," Mr Kortunov says, noting that Ukraine's military was significantly better equipped and trained now thanks to US and European support.

But he still doubts that Vladimir Putin is planning an intervention.

"I don't see anything the Kremlin could gain by direct military engagement in the Ukraine crisis. I think Russian policy is more focused on maintaining the status quo and assuming that Ukraine will implode from mounting problems and Ukraine fatigue in the West," Mr Kortunov says.

A message to Washington
    The other audience for Moscow's manoeuvres is further afield.

For the US there's a not-so-veiled warning that Russia still considers its neighbour's fate its business and remains particularly opposed to Ukraine's aim, reiterated this week, of joining Nato.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on a working visit to the eastern Ukrainian conflict zone, 09 April 2021
    IMAGE COPYRIGHTEPA
    image captionUkraine's President Zelensky visited eastern Ukraine last week and has called for Nato to admit the country as a member
    But some detect another goal: attempting to avert the tough, new sanctions that the Biden administration is threatening in retaliation for Russia's election meddling, hacking attacks and more.

"Russia is trying to raise the stakes: to show that it can inflict cost on those trying to inflict costs on Russia, even if that is reckless and may result in harsher sanctions," argues foreign policy analyst Mikhail Troitskiy.

"I think this is the logic behind this escalation - which is dangerous because at some point it could spiral out of control," he adds.

State of the Nation?
    Despite renewed talk on state TV of "fascist" Ukrainians, there's little sense that all-out war would be popular among Russians already coping with Covid, sanctions and the impact of a low oil price.

Andrei Kortunov believes the "mobilising potential" of foreign policy adventures is now "almost depleted" with people more concerned with their own problems than in the more comfortable context of 2014.

Russia's 2008 war with Georgia is a stark warning of how rapidly such a confrontation can escalate and there is always the caveat that no-one believed Vladimir Putin would dare to annex Crimea either.

But defending the Donbas would likely be a far bloodier and more dangerous operation.

Mr Putin's intentions may become clearer next week when he's due to make his annual "state of the nation" address, a podium he's often used for sabre-rattling against the West.

But the call from Joe Biden may have given him chance to pull back from this particular fight. Turkey now says the US has cancelled Mr Biden's request for two warships to pass through the Bosphorus.

"I think Putin attracted attention, he put himself in the focus not only of Europe but the US administration," Konstantin Eggert says. "He managed to scare them, and he likes doing that."

Mikhail Troitskiy agrees.

"If Russia sees no major US sanctions affecting its vital interests, then it may consider pulling troops from the border," he believes.

"Another way to de-escalate things is for them to climax, as happened in the Cuban missile crisis. But that would be very undesirable."

PapaDragon likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python 19/04/21, 08:58 am

gbu48098 wrote:My guess is tame Germany and isolate Russia completely from "civilized world".....Pyramid is becoming a bit shaky to sustain.

That's not much of a conspiracy. It's been talked about for years.

Keep Rooskies busy in case China gets ideas on Taiwan and it turns into hot zone.....lots of npr and ncr...you can pick you n and r for input.

A bit more escalation and China would have a golden opportunity while the US is busy
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python 19/04/21, 09:01 am

Finty wrote:Why Russia may not be planning the invasion that Ukraine fears

All of this is ultimately just talk

Russian escalation suits the US fine. Hence why they have no problem backing off themselves.
    The Ukrainians are still mobilizing forces to the Donbass. Unless they themselves are scared off, the end result will be the killing of Nord Stream 2

GarryB, lancelot and Finty like this post

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 19/04/21, 09:06 am

flamming_python wrote:
    gbu48098 wrote:My guess is tame Germany and isolate Russia completely from "civilized world".....Pyramid is becoming a bit shaky to sustain.

That's not much of a conspiracy. It's been talked about for years.

Keep Rooskies busy in case China gets ideas on Taiwan and it turns into hot zone.....lots of npr and ncr...you can pick you n and r for input.

A bit more escalation and China would have a golden opportunity while the US is busy

I did not say I knew what the conspiracy was...just the obvious does not make sense. US wont be busy in Ukraine as they have plenty of idiots in Europe and Ukraine to do seppuku.

What is not clear to me is why Russia did not start the pipeline from both ends actually Germany first if pipelaying ships are not available from both ends. Then they would not have been in this position....someone trusted someone too much to invest billions and then go through this shit.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco 19/04/21, 09:11 am

Donbass today: Kiev sent mercenaries to Donetsk, 30 tanks "disappeared" from the hangars of the Armed Forces of Ukraine

Ukrainian troops are conducting artillery fire on the DPR and LPR. The OSCE was missing 30 tanks in the storage areas of the Ukrainian army.

The advanced units of the Ukrainian army fired seven times in a day at the settlements of the Donetsk People's Republic in all key areas of defense. Used 120-mm and 82-mm mortars, armament of infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers, anti-tank grenade launchers and small arms. Fired at five settlements. In the Luhansk People's Republic, Ukrainian troops opened fire from 82-mm mortars at the village of Lozovoe.

Defenders of the DPR, citing OSCE data, also report that there are no more than 30 units of prohibited equipment and enemy weapons in storage areas. These are 30 tanks, four Ukrainian 120-mm Molot mortars and one combat vehicle. Recall that the use of domestic mortars in the Armed Forces of Ukraine is prohibited. Nevertheless, the leadership of the security operation continues to use constantly exploding weapons in the conflict zone.

The command of the Ukrainian army is strengthening the training of personnel in mine explosives, according to the Luhansk department of the People's Militia. Not only foreign instructors are involved in this process, but also the special forces of the Special Operations Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Also, the number of anti-tank mines is constantly growing in new areas in the territories controlled by the Armed Forces of Ukraine, recorded by the drones of the OSCE mission.
    Kiev deployed foreign mercenaries west of Donetsk

The process of settling the civil conflict in Donbass is impossible without Kiev's refusal to attract foreign mercenaries and instructors to participate in hostilities, the DPR's defense department is convinced. Donetsk residents are now reporting the presence of militants from the Middle East and NATO sniper instructors in the Maryinka districts, a few kilometers west of Donetsk.

The defenders of the republic are informed about this by local residents observing the movement of personnel of Ukrainian units, who saw how well-equipped soldiers without identification marks, speaking foreign languages, were delivered on humanitarian vehicles of the JCCC.

The Ukrainian artillerymen under the strict guidance and supervision of American instructors worked out the fire engagement of conventional enemy targets in the Joint Forces Operations (JF) zone, according to the LPR People's Militia Directorate. In order to take part in the last trainings, foreigners arrived from the Yavoriv training ground in the Lviv region.

The Americans, in fact, accepted the results of their work on the preparation of Ukrainian units, and the Kiev security forces, in turn, once again demonstrated their readiness to unquestioningly follow the will of their overseas masters. It is worth noting, according to information from the LPR intelligence, American advisers moved in the JFO zone in cars with the JCCC logo.

In total, over the past two weeks, there have been several dozen reports from the defense ministries of the DPR and LPR that the Kiev security forces are using the humanitarian transport of the Ukrainian mission in the JCCC to carry out combat missions. If earlier such moments were of an isolated nature, then today it is a system.

Thus, the organization itself - the Joint Center for Control and Coordination of the Ceasefire, more precisely, its Ukrainian representation has already discredited itself and cannot perform functions aimed at establishing a stable ceasefire regime in the combat zone. The Kiev security forces again did everything possible to "nullify" another mechanism for achieving peace in Donbass.

https://dt7ahmzet4ndpabdywg2ep5j5q-ac4c6men2g7xr2a-warfiles-ru.translate.goog/228403-donbass-segodnja-kiev-napravil-pod-doneck-naemnikov.html

PapaDragon, lancelot and Finty like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot 19/04/21, 09:20 am

gbu48098 wrote:What is not clear to me is why Russia did not start the pipeline from both ends actually Germany first if pipelaying ships are not available from both ends. Then they would not have been in this position....someone trusted someone too much to invest billions and then go through this shit.

The delay was never about the German section which is really short. The delay was the Danes dragging their feet approving pipeline construction. The consortium proposed to lay the Nord Stream 2 pipeline right next to Nord Stream 1 but the Danes refused claiming it was dangerous to the environment, or some crap like that, when they approved Nord Stream 1 just fine. So the consortium had to cancel the original request and apply for a different route south. Meanwhile construction was basically stopped because of uncertainty with regards to the pipeline route. Finally they approved pipeline construction along the alternate route but then the US threatened the Swiss company building the pipeline with sanctions.

GarryB and kvs like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 19/04/21, 09:22 am

Finty wrote:Why Russia may not be planning the invasion that Ukraine fears

BBC wrote:......'Biden blinked'
    "In Putin's game of brinkmanship, Biden blinked first," argues journalist Konstantin Eggert, after Joe Biden made his first call to the Kremlin and proposed meeting Mr Putin "in the coming months".

I remember that name, Eggert is hardcore ultra-liberal pro-NATO sellout from long before 2014

If he is saying that Biden blinked first then it's even worse for 404s than they thought

BBC wrote:......Despite renewed talk on state TV of "fascist" Ukrainians, there's little sense that all-out war would be popular among Russians already coping with Covid, sanctions and the impact of a low oil price.

Anyone who thinks it would be ''all-out war'' has been playing too much Call of Duty

Like I said before it would be Syria-style air campaign on steroids and on lowest difficulty setting, no land unit needed

That will be very popular and 404s should not lie to themselves about this part (for their own sake that is, I say they should go for it because I have loads of popcorn and cola that need to be used before it expires)  

BBC wrote:......But the call from Joe Biden may have given him chance to pull back from this particular fight. Turkey now says the US has cancelled Mr Biden's request for two warships to pass through the Bosphorus.

More like Turkey told them to cool it because they don't want to end up in the middle of the shitstorm they have no input in

GarryB and VARGR198 like this post

nero

Post  nero 19/04/21, 09:23 am

PapaDragon wrote:Armor and troops will not be doing anything, they are being moved to send a message

If 404s try something for real we will just have VKS going on a rampage for a week or two and erase everything with Ukrainian flag on it after which NAF will move forward to take more territory

You can jack off to the image of the VKS bombing the Ukrainian troops to oblivion, though that is never going to happen realistically. The Russians do not manage escalation like a bunch of kindergarten kids. They're not into outright murder, especially given that the people on the other side are mostly poor conscripts.

What is actually going to happen depends on the level of escalation from Ukraine. This is something that no one on this forum can predict within a decent degree of correctness to make any judgements.

You'll note that they've moved formations from the Central and Eastern MD's (i.e. T-80's). They wouldn't bother doing any of that if it 'was for show' because the Western and Southern MD's are one of the best armed in Russia. It just so happens that Southern MD's HQ is Rostov-on-Don. They already had all of the formations required in place.

Last edited by nero on 19/04/21, 09:32 am; edited 1 time in total

flamming_python and Finty like this post

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 19/04/21, 09:28 am

lancelot wrote:
    gbu48098 wrote:What is not clear to me is why Russia did not start the pipeline from both ends actually Germany first if pipelaying ships are not available from both ends. Then they would not have been in this position....someone trusted someone too much to invest billions and then go through this shit.

The delay was never about the German section which is really short. The delay was the Danes dragging their feet approving pipeline construction. The consortium proposed to lay the Nord Stream 2 pipeline right next to Nord Stream 1 but the Danes refused claiming it was dangerous to the environment, or some crap like that, when they approved Nord Stream 1 just fine. So the consortium had to cancel the original request and apply for a different route south. Meanwhile construction was basically stopped because of uncertainty with regards to the pipeline route. Finally they approved pipeline construction along the alternate route but then the US threatened the Swiss company building the pipeline with sanctions.

I know Danes played the spoiler but one would think russians knew better and I still think they should have proceeded from the other end to avoid this risk and finished as much as they can. I guess it makes sense when you see that russia subserviently serves ECHR and PACE and so on....thought process is please and please and then eventually fight back. Nothing new....not totally bad but not totally respectable attitude....kind of bullied vs bully
    gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 19/04/21, 09:38 am

nero wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:Armor and troops will not be doing anything, they are being moved to send a message

If 404s try something for real we will just have VKS going on a rampage for a week or two and erase everything with Ukrainian flag on it after which NAF will move forward to take more territory

You can jack off to the image of the VKS bombing the Ukrainian troops to oblivion, though that is never going to happen realistically. The Russians do not manage escalation like a bunch of kindergarten kids. They're not into outright murder, especially given that the people on the other side are mostly poor conscripts.

Why not, they did move in Georgia and they were still rag tag at the time. Putin is the x factor and Medvedyev is something else in a pleasant way....good combination along with Shoigu.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 19/04/21, 03:57 pm

Why Russia may not be planning the invasion that Ukraine fears

Wow they are dumb...

I can explain the Russian deployment of troops near the border with the Ukraine.... it started when the Ukraine further violated the Minsk agreements and mobilised troops and heavy weapons and moved them to close proximity to the Donbass in preparation for an attack.

Of course any country that is a direct neighbour to such a situation is going to mobilise their forces so they are ready for whatever happens.

The fact that Russian experts in the west decipher this as being a Russian plan of invasion shows they are more interested in propaganda than reality, they are not intel into what the Bear might do, they are propaganda to justify the wests own aggressive actions...

'Biden blinked'

Creepy Joe is a moron, but he is not suicidal. Those US ships needed to have planned the trip into the Black Sea months in advance and need more than two weeks advanced request to enter the Black Sea... these ships going to the Black Sea are not a response to the Russian military build up because they didn't plan that build up till the Ukraine started sending forces to the conflict area.

Biden backed down because the US doesn't need ships in the Black Sea... the two ships they were sending would be easily picked off and destroyed even just with shore based Anti Ship Missile batteries stationed there... it would be like sending two Russian ships to sit 16 miles off the coast of Florida...

Biden is a moron for making shit up and then imposing sanctions on Russia and then getting upset because Russia responded with sanctions of their own.

What a dick.

Doesn't he know that that is what killers with no soul do.... impose sanctions.

"My take is that it's about deterrence," says Andrei Kortunov, head of the Russian International Affairs Council. He points out Kyiv's own recent reinforcements in eastern Ukraine and argues that Russia's actions are to avert any move to retake areas controlled by Russian-backed militants.

So it is not the case that the article writer doesn't understand why Russia did what it did... they just don't think Russia has the right to move troops around its own country within its own borders.... they complain about Russian troops in the Far East and Arctic too...

What is not clear to me is why Russia did not start the pipeline from both ends actually Germany first if pipelaying ships are not available from both ends. Then they would not have been in this position....someone trusted someone too much to invest billions and then go through this shit.

Yeah, it wouldn't really matter which end they started, the sanctions and Navalny poison underpants and escalation in the Donbass would be happening no matter where it ended.

Personally I think Russia should let Germany fold and just complete the pipeline to take gas to Kaliningrad.

If Germany wants gas it can get it shipped in LNG form and pay extra for it.

If Germany.... the manufacturing hub of the EU wants cheap energy for production they should build factories in Russia... plenty of energy and cheap labour there too.

I remember that name, Eggert is hardcore ultra-liberal pro-NATO sellout from long before 2014

If he is saying that Biden blinked first then it's even worse for 404s than they thought

All the sanctions and BS from Biden is his attempt to show US voters that he is the hard man on Russia, but he is a pussy.

He is writing cheques his ass can't cash... every tumble and fall will make him look like a weak old man... made worse every time he has to speak and gets things wrong.

I suspect he means precision strikes with standoff weapons like cruise missiles to hit HQs and Comms centres and things they can't fight their little war of genocide without, while the air over head will be a no fly zone due to Russian SAMS across the border knocking down anything that takes off.

They already had all of the formations required in place.

The formations in place would be the sort to stop and turn back an invasion force.

The forces moved into that area would be more along the lines of the type of forces that would be sent into enemy held territory and fight in there... the sort of mobile type forces that are well armed and equipped...

I know Danes played the spoiler but one would think russians knew better and I still think they should have proceeded from the other end to avoid this risk and finished as much as they can.

That is what they did... the Danes withheld permission to start the end that is the last piece left to do. They had no choice but to do it last.... unless you are saying they should have just waited for permission and done that bit first, which means they could be finished it soon but have the rest of the pipeline to do.

Personally I think they should have just built the pipeline to Kaliningrad and then piped it through Poland to Germany... would not need Danes approval... Kaliningrad already gets piped gas through Ukraine and Poland so they already have the pipes to connect...

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 19/04/21, 04:01 pm

What is actually going to happen depends on the level of escalation from Ukraine. This is something that no one on this forum can predict within a decent degree of correctness to make any judgements.

If nothing happens and they just keep shelling those people and isolating them from the western world perhaps a short sharp conflict would not be a bad thing.

People are dying now, at least a proper conflict would allow the freedom fighters to shoot back properly.

Western confidence in Ukrainian conscripts is interesting considering the derogatory way they described those same Ukrainian conscripts fighting in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Finty likes this post

gbu48098

Post  gbu48098 19/04/21, 04:26 pm

GarryB wrote:

That is what they did... the Danes withheld permission to start the end that is the last piece left to do. They had no choice but to do it last.... unless you are saying they should have just waited for permission and done that bit first, which means they could be finished it soon but have the rest of the pipeline to do.

Personally I think they should have just built the pipeline to Kaliningrad and then piped it through Poland to Germany... would not need Danes approval... Kaliningrad already gets piped gas through Ukraine and Poland so they already have the pipes to connect...

Yes, its becoming increasingly losing proposition to do business with Europe for Russia, they fold without a blink on threats. Russia should only have committed to the international waters section and its own waters section on condition that Germans finished their part first.....Kalningrad option seems to be realistic now. Any institution in Hague or Zurich is compromised now, so international law for Russia to sue offending parties is also no win. They should do LNG and develop with India on long term deals. China is in already....west is getting too desperate with sanctions as the only game which does not seem to be working and now moving on to hot actions next level of escalation.
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander 19/04/21, 05:42 pm

It don't get much better than this.

VCO and I have had breakfast on the balcony and are enjoying our morning coffee, Sophia and Ye'katarina snoring at our feet, Ksenya, the little blue cat thing, curled up to Sophia and out like a light. The sun is trying to break thru the morning mists in our little valley, the silence is deafening, broken only by the trumpet calls at 08:00 calling the sailors and soldiers to morning formation.

VCO has communicated with our three children serving up north. All is good with them and our daughter who received a minor wound some days ago (her second) is out of hospital and back to service. Our two youngest daughters in succor so deep that you can nuke the planet and they will survive and prosper are excellent and both are getting top marks in Institute. We hope to have all of them visit us this summer but permissions for visits are not up to us.

It would be nice to see the clouds of war in the distance recede, but that is not to be today. Maybe tomorrow, but not today.

franco, Firebird, wilhelm and Yugo90 like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot 19/04/21, 06:04 pm

GarryB wrote:Personally I think they should have just built the pipeline to Kaliningrad and then piped it through Poland to Germany... would not need Danes approval... Kaliningrad already gets piped gas through Ukraine and Poland so they already have the pipes to connect...

If that was an option they would have just done Yamal-II.
    The whole point is to avoid shameless intermediates like Ukraine and Poland.
    If they pipe the gas to Kaliningrad I think the only option is shipping it from there as LNG.

Rodion_Romanovic likes this post

11E

Post  11E 19/04/21, 08:51 pm

In the news in that they move brigades, divisions and regiments and that hey have massed more than 25 Battalion Task Groups. In the brigades I can imagine forming BTGs. But why forming BTGs when you have the organic regiments with their combat support and combat service support and higher echelon (division).

I was under the impression that the RF was moving back from the small conflict BTGs to the much more robust regiment/division structure which is better suited to high intensity peer/near pear opponents.

Regards,
    Lesley
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander 19/04/21, 08:54 pm

11E wrote:In the news in that they move brigades, divisions and regiments and that hey have massed more than 25 Battalion Task Groups. In the brigades I can imagine forming BTGs. But why forming BTGs when you have the organic regiments with their combat support and combat service support and higher echelon (division).
    I was under the impression that the RF was moving back from the small conflict BTGs to the much more robust regiment/division structure which is better suited to high intensity peer/near pear opponents.
    Regards,Lesley

Orcland is not a 'near peer' of RF. Never has been.

11E and Finty like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco 19/04/21, 10:59 pm

11E wrote:In the news in that they move brigades, divisions and regiments and that hey have massed more than 25 Battalion Task Groups. In the brigades I can imagine forming BTGs. But why forming BTGs when you have the organic regiments with their combat support and combat service support and higher echelon (division).

Regards,
    Lesley

Everyone utilizes some form of BTG's in modern warfare, so that will not change. Further the Russian policy of not using conscripts in front line combat means that BTG's are still going to be used. Doesn't mean that the 2 contractor BTG's cannot fight together along with attached BTG's from other units in a brigade or regiment format. It also is a method of calculating units familiar to the Ukrainian army, for whom the media would be receiving their information.

PS by my calculations the units permanently stationed in the Russian regions bordering Ukraine could provide 23 BTG's alone. This troop movement is twofold. The first is to warn and the second is to be prepared in case that warning is not heeded.

LMFS and Finty like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 20/04/21, 12:14 am

https://southfront.org/us-and-russian-armies-organizational-and-staff-structure/

Finty likes this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco 20/04/21, 01:00 am

lyle6 wrote:https://southfront.org/us-and-russian-armies-organizational-and-staff-structure/

Lot's of info on American forces but very little on Russian forces and organization I'm afraid.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 17/05/24, 05:28 pm