Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:54 pm

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny_c11

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny9w10

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny7510

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny4_10

    GarryB and LMFS like this post

    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 365
    Points : 371
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty No, wait, wait, wait: there is another one...

    Post  marcellogo on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:57 pm

    Also the Grom prototype have one such weapon.
    Izd.85.

    Now, could one wonder how can they fit 2tons payload on a plane with 7tons MTOW?

    And most interesting thing: how will they drop them?
    I see two hatches alongside but they are absolutely too small.
    Kratos has not a landing gear but Grom is way heavier and seems to have a full size radar on the nose so maybe they are just the wheel hatches.
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 365
    Points : 371
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  marcellogo on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 pm

    Isos wrote:UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny_c11

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny9w10

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny7510

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egny4_10

    TROPPA GRAZIA, SAN GIOVANNI!

    What a Face What a Face What a Face
    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 7464
    Points : 7613
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  kvs on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:33 pm

    marcellogo wrote:Also the Grom prototype have one such weapon.
    Izd.85.

    Now, could one wonder how can they fit 2tons payload on a plane with 7tons MTOW?

    And most interesting thing: how will they drop them?
    I see two hatches alongside but they are absolutely too small.
    Kratos has not a landing gear but Grom is way heavier and seems to have a full size radar on the nose so maybe they are just the wheel hatches.

    I guess the 2 ton payload is an upper bound for very short range operations. But even a 1 ton payload is damn impressive for a wingman drone.
    These days a 1 ton bomb can do a lot compared to WWII.

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:00 pm

    kvs wrote:
    marcellogo wrote:Also the Grom prototype have one such weapon.
    Izd.85.

    Now, could one wonder how can they fit 2tons payload on a plane with 7tons MTOW?

    And most interesting thing: how will they drop them?
    I see two hatches alongside but they are absolutely too small.
    Kratos has not a landing gear but Grom is way heavier and seems to have a full size radar on the nose so maybe they are just the wheel hatches.

    I guess the 2 ton payload is an upper bound for very short range operations.   But even a 1 ton payload is damn impressive for a wingman drone.
    These days a 1 ton bomb can do a lot compared to WWII.


    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egl8z810

    GarryB likes this post

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 7464
    Points : 7613
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  kvs on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:14 am

    It would be more interesting to know the range of this drone for a typical bomb load. It is focused on speed so it burns fuel quite
    fast. No point building a drone that does not have the range of the aircraft that it is acting as wingman for.

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:48 am

    Already posted. 700km combat range and it's a subsonic drone. It's a cheap S-70. They will have to use it from airports much closer the front. But they can also use it from long roads...
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 365
    Points : 371
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  marcellogo on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:23 am

    Isos wrote:Already posted. 700km combat range and it's a subsonic drone. It's a cheap S-70. They will have to use it from airports much closer the front. But they can also use it from long roads...

    On my opinion using it just as a "loyal wingman" although certainly as interesting and innovative as it could be it would turn even reductive if seen in the whole complex of the russian armed forces.
    Let's think about inserting it and S-70 as integral components in the land based AD network, with them loitering over S-400 and S-350 battery and acting as both an AEW and a mid-course correction signal emitter for their missiles.

    Think about it (not S-70) being launched by army trucks and being used for CAS together with Su-25 and helicopters, landing afterward on its own belly like Kratos do or even better through the trademark russian chute /cushion system so to be operated directly by army personnel without overloading the air force landing strips and maintenance crews.

    In this way i.e. resting over already well developed networks it could get a decisive advantage over similar systems operated by US/NATO forces in which those structures are lacking or are too often operated in a single armed force perspective.


    Last edited by marcellogo on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Making it clearer to understand.)
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 15158
    Points : 15655
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  George1 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:39 am

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 4pfwyq10
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 2289
    Points : 2289
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  LMFS on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:50 am

    Moar...

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 NXoQdn9hbOg
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 T1vD-NbR16g
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 X8fQqwCnGfo
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 U4qcFR5re0c
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 WHrMCXwxRNg
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 R1bYNd9WzF8

    The crop of new UAVs and miniature weapons has already made this Army edition worth following... I am sure these weapons would be massively useful in Syria, Donbass and many other places where the Russian military may be involved.

    GarryB and Hole like this post

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26622
    Points : 27160
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:50 am

    It is only a matter of time now that Russia has revealed some murder bots and an array of custom designed weapons for them that the US will start to demand limitations on who they can be sold to and how they can be used without it being a warcrime...
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:05 am

    GarryB wrote:It is only a matter of time now that Russia has revealed some murder bots and an array of custom designed weapons for them that the US will start to demand limitations on who they can be sold to and how they can be used without it being a warcrime...

    Since the Libyan lies at UN by the west Russia will vero any resolution by the US.

    China is already selling weapons like the one showed here since years ago.
    Flyboy77
    Flyboy77

    Posts : 68
    Points : 71
    Join date : 2013-06-01

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Flyboy77 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:25 am

    LMFS wrote:Moar...

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 U4qcFR5re0c
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 R1bYNd9WzF8


    What are these two white munitions? Are these Missiles equivalent to the Hellfire or maverick?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 26622
    Points : 27160
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:44 am

    In that bottom image with the Grom UCAV, the left weapon is the Kh-38M, which is sort of a replacement for the Kh-25 family of weapons, the silver pointy bomb is the KAB-500S satellite guided bomb, and the next is the KAB-250LG laser guided bomb.

    That last white weapon on the table I have not seen before... the ID chart says it is an LZD-85, but I am not familiar with it... it is new.

    The upper image calls that weapon the Kh-50 which is strange... I thought the Kh-50 was supposed to be a cruise missile... perhaps that is its seeker?

    And the small bombs are KAB-20... with their bomb designations the K means it is guided... as opposed to something like an FAB-500 which means high explosive air delivered bomb with a nominal weight of 500kgs.

    So KAB-20 is a guided bomb that is probably 20-25kgs in weight... optimised for UAVs of course.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 3374
    Points : 3372
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Hole on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:56 am

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 20200810
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 20200811
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 20200812

    George1 and LMFS like this post

    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 3374
    Points : 3372
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Hole on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:57 am

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 20200813
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 20200814

    LMFS likes this post

    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 2289
    Points : 2289
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  LMFS on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:15 pm

    GarryB wrote:the ID chart says it is an LZD-85, but I am not familiar with it... it is new.

    Izd. 85

    The upper image calls that weapon the Kh-50 which is strange... I thought the Kh-50 was supposed to be a cruise missile... perhaps that is its seeker?

    You are right, that was supposed to be the new air launched cruise missile...

    Flyboy77 wrote:What are these two white munitions? Are these Missiles equivalent to the Hellfire or maverick?

    I don't know, but indeed by the looks it seems what you say. The Kh-50 seems to have a laser seeker, the Izd. 85 an IR one


    Last edited by LMFS on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 pm

    They have grad and uragan MRLS warheads.

    Orion use small weapons made for UAV while the Grom will use small tactical bombs and missiles. S-70 will use big tactical missiles like kh-31 or kh-59.

    Grom with 700km will attack the front line targets. Orion will attack smaller opportunity targets. S-70 will hit the rear of the enemy with 2500+ km range.

    3 different drones 3 different jobs.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 15158
    Points : 15655
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  George1 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:42 pm

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 50264710
    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Kh-5010
    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 7464
    Points : 7613
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  kvs on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:31 pm

    Isos wrote:Already posted. 700km combat range and it's a subsonic drone. It's a cheap S-70. They will have to use it from airports much closer the front. But they can also use it from long roads...

    It's shape says that it is a fuel guzzler. And 700 km range is rather limited so I doubt this number is valid. Lots of speculation being passed
    of as actual specifications.

    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 7464
    Points : 7613
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  kvs on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:34 pm

    Isos wrote:Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    8 min
    Details for the Grom UCAV:
    It can carry 100, 250, and 500 kg bombs
    Wingspan 10 m
    Height 3.8 m
    Length 13.8 m
    Maximum take-off weight 7,000 kg
    Maximum payload 2,000 kg
    Maximum speed 1,000 km/h
    Cruising speed 800 km/h
    Maximum flight altitude 12,000 m
    Combat radius 700 km

    Don't pass this off as official specifications. It is somebody's BS estimates on social media.

    thegopnik
    thegopnik

    Posts : 216
    Points : 222
    Join date : 2017-09-20

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  thegopnik on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:13 pm

    I dont believe that 700km combat radius ether because of the ranges on the fregat and okhotnik.
    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 2289
    Points : 2289
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  LMFS on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:33 pm

    The Valkyrie is smaller and with similar layout and they say it makes 3,000 miles... can be BS, of course, but that is the manufacturer's word.

    Data for Grom are official BTW
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:57 pm

    kvs wrote:
    Isos wrote:Rob Lee
    @RALee85
    ·
    8 min
    Details for the Grom UCAV:
    It can carry 100, 250, and 500 kg bombs
    Wingspan 10 m
    Height 3.8 m
    Length 13.8 m
    Maximum take-off weight 7,000 kg
    Maximum payload 2,000 kg
    Maximum speed 1,000 km/h
    Cruising speed 800 km/h
    Maximum flight altitude 12,000 m
    Combat radius 700 km

    Don't pass this off as official specifications.  It is somebody's BS estimates on social media.


    They are official specifications. You can found pictures of them in russian in front of the Grom at the exposition on twitter.

    owais.usmani likes this post

    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6636
    Points : 6626
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:01 pm

    Helios spec.

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Egrgsv10

    Sponsored content

    UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: UAVs in Russian Armed Forces: News #2

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:39 am