Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+62
Daniel_Admassu
lyle6
GarryB
LMFS
gc3762
KoTeMoRe
lancelot
TMA1
PeregrineFalcon
Backman
Hole
dino00
Tai Hai Chen
Scorpius
Arrow
thegopnik
Isos
nero
zepia
FFjet
secretprojects
Begome
Gomig-21
limb
Mindstorm
SeigSoloyvov
wilhelm
jaguar_br
tomazy
Stealthflanker
PapaDragon
owais.usmani
Sujoy
AlfaT8
Singular_Transform
The-thing-next-door
marcellogo
RTN
Azi
ahmedfire
x_54_u43
ultimatewarrior
JohninMK
Austin
Tsavo Lion
Giulio
jhelb
tanino
kvs
mnztr
Rodion_Romanovic
PhSt
Vann7
Viktor
Big_Gazza
archangelski
magnumcromagnon
miketheterrible
calripson
william.boutros
George1
ult
66 posters

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:56 pm

    GarryB wrote:I would think if they developed stealthy sawtooth engine nozzles that they could fit them to either engine... as both would probably benefit wouldn't they?

    There is more to engine stealth than just the nozzle (the F-35 has blockers for instance), but I guess it would help and see no reason why it would not be compatible with the older engines...

    Stealthflanker wrote:Isn't the radar blocker already part of the plan from the day 1 of Su-57's inception ?

    Correct
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9572
    Points : 9558
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Isos Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:14 pm

    kvs wrote:
    william.boutros wrote:
    Isos wrote:Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Eegoh010

    This image settles that the fans will be visible and that blockers need to be installed.

    Only if the radar is located above the plane of the jet.   For any ground radar they are invisible.   As for being detected in
    the air by other jets, that was never the objective of stealth.


    It's the opposite. If the enemy radar is above the su-57, its signal will bounce on the wing and never go inside the engine.

    If it is bellow the su-57, the signal will go inside but will bounce ten times before coming back.

    The only time the radar's signal will go inside and bounce on the engines is when the radar is at the same altitude.

    But even then, su-57 will be supercruising so the air intakes of the engine will be smaller, and the radar blocker will have two fonction. From what I understood it will be similar to this drawing with the radar blocker being the movable part in front of the engine.

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Main-q10
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:05 pm

    This is the patent with the radar blockers, the cross section is taken right before the compressor:

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Blocke10
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon


    Posts : 8159
    Points : 8304
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  magnumcromagnon Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm

    From Army 2020

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 EgklNmHUYAAc76G?format=jpg&name=large
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 EgklPEIVgAAGyof?format=jpg&name=large
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 EgklQQLVoAElfk3?format=jpg&name=large
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 EgklRXxUwAEQykY?format=jpg&name=large

    Gomig-21 and LMFS like this post

    Hole
    Hole


    Posts : 6721
    Points : 6709
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 46
    Location : Scholzistan

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Hole Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 pm

    Haters will claim that not only russian ships, but also russian planes generate huge plumes of "smoke" lol!
    kvs
    kvs


    Posts : 12993
    Points : 13140
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Kanada

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  kvs Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:32 pm

    Isos wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    william.boutros wrote:
    Isos wrote:Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Eegoh010

    This image settles that the fans will be visible and that blockers need to be installed.

    Only if the radar is located above the plane of the jet.   For any ground radar they are invisible.   As for being detected in
    the air by other jets, that was never the objective of stealth.


    It's the opposite. If the enemy radar is above the su-57, its signal will bounce on the wing and never go inside the engine.

    If it is bellow the su-57, the signal will go inside but will bounce ten times before coming back.

    The only time the radar's signal will go inside and bounce on the engines is when the radar is at the same altitude.

    But even then, su-57 will be supercruising so the air intakes of the engine will be smaller, and the radar blocker will have two fonction. From what I understood it will be similar to this drawing with the radar blocker being the movable part in front of the engine.

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Main-q10

    That graphic is totally irrelevant for the Su-57. It misses completely the scoops at the base of the intakes. So the little zig zags will not be
    easily zagging back to the line of sight of the radar. And in fact, the radar beam will bounce off the scoop bottom before it gets inside the intake.

    Opposite. bounce
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9572
    Points : 9558
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Isos Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:40 pm

    I shared the graphic to show that the intake must be smaller at supersonic speed for air flow not for radar.

    Su-57 will have a radar blocker that will also control de air flow. And it will be placed like the moving thing above the "auxilliary door" on the graphic.

    But yes that graphic has nothing to do with su57. It's about Concorde.
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:12 pm

    Isos wrote:I shared the graphic to show that the intake must be smaller at supersonic speed for air flow not for radar.

    Su-57 will have a radar blocker that will also control de air flow. And it will be placed like the moving thing above the "auxilliary door" on the graphic.

    But yes that graphic has nothing to do with su57. It's about Concorde.

    Those are the variable ramps of an adjustable supersonic intake, they have nothing to do with radar blockers. The trajectories are the supersonic shocks. Radar blockers are placed right before the engines and were represented in the patent as a mesh. Some images of real radar blockers below:

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 7ba23d11
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 C747d710

    As you can see, they can share functions with the inlet vanes of the engine. And given modern compressor blades are composite, the actual return from them can be a far cry from what it would be expected in legacy designs...

    thegopnik likes this post

    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9572
    Points : 9558
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Isos Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:49 pm

    https://findpatent.ru/img_show/12839574.html

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 12839510

    Here is the full patent. It's what I described rather than what is on your picture (from what I understand...).

    Fanart :

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Botzzo10

    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:46 pm

    @Isos:

    I see no conflict between what I posted and the patent, in fact it specifies a series of possibilities on how to implement the blocker, with a mix of radial, cylindrical and mesh structures. Maybe I misunderstood you referring the variable ramps as the blocker?

    The fan art you post looks related to mesh screens for take off, they seem too thin, forward positioned and movable, just like the screens in the Flanker. IMHO this is not what the blocker looks like, it is in place all the time from what we know and very close to the engine.
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9572
    Points : 9558
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Isos Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:56 pm

    Again that's just what I undertood. I never saw anything in english or real pictures of them.

    Anyway the design is already hiding half of the engine. But like Garry said the little amount of signal going in will bounce multiple times in the intakes made out of stealthy design and will be absorbed so much that it won't have any power to go back to enemy radar. And that's only if the enemy radar is at the same altitude which won't be the case most of the time and the su-57 can just go bellow 500m and hide the intakes with the wings...
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33555
    Points : 34069
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  GarryB Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:45 am

    My understanding is that the front blades of the engine in the Blackjack have RAM coatings too to reduce radar return...

    They know what they are doing...
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:15 pm

    Isos wrote:Again that's just what I undertood. I never saw anything in english or real pictures of them.

    Anyway the design is already hiding half of the engine. But like Garry said the little amount of signal going in will bounce multiple times in the intakes made out of stealthy design and will be absorbed so much that it won't have any power to go back to enemy radar. And that's only if the enemy radar is at the same altitude which won't be the case most of the time and the su-57 can just go bellow 500m and hide the intakes with the wings...

    Fair enough. I agree the compressors only get exposed in certain conditions, but with the blocker they freed the pilot to fulfil the mission without caring about that or being tactically limited, I think it is the right thing to do
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker


    Posts : 1168
    Points : 1248
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Indonesia

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Stealthflanker Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:17 pm

    RCS measurement of an Su-57 model in Voronezh.

    I found this image laying around in my harddrive but i forgot where i got it in the first place.

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 48402810

    jaguar_br likes this post

    avatar
    jaguar_br


    Posts : 35
    Points : 37
    Join date : 2015-03-07

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  jaguar_br Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:48 pm

    When is this photo from?

    Unlike prototypes and even serial, this mock-up has a serrated radome... Did they find it unnecessary?
    Hole
    Hole


    Posts : 6721
    Points : 6709
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 46
    Location : Scholzistan

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Hole Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 pm

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 H18a4213
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 H18a4215
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 H18a4214
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker


    Posts : 1168
    Points : 1248
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Indonesia

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Stealthflanker Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:41 am

    jaguar_br wrote:When is this photo from?

    Unlike prototypes and even serial, this mock-up has a serrated radome... Did they find it unnecessary?

    It's been sitting on my hard drive for maybe 1-2 years now. Anyway the model being tested is the static T-50 KNI.

    Regarding serrations It's not necessarily need to be visible in final production. It can be internal.
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:40 am

    Stealthflanker wrote:Regarding serrations It's not necessarily need to be visible in final production. It can be internal.

    In fact the radome for the Su-57 appears to be different to that of other models until now. AFAIK serrated edges are needed where there is an electrical discontinuity in the fuselage, those panel covers that do not need permanent access can be closed so that continuity is not lost. Maybe the increased reliability of the AESA makes frequently accessing the radome and hence serrated edges unnecessary?
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker


    Posts : 1168
    Points : 1248
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 34
    Location : Indonesia

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Stealthflanker Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:15 am

    LMFS wrote:

    In fact the radome for the Su-57 appears to be different to that of other models until now. AFAIK serrated edges are needed where there is an electrical discontinuity in the fuselage, those panel covers that do not need permanent access can be closed so that continuity is not lost. Maybe the increased reliability of the AESA makes frequently accessing the radome and hence serrated edges unnecessary?

    It would still be needed mainly to give better sidelobes for the antenna and perhaps part of edge treatment against structural mode RCS. There still be discontinuities present however as the radome and airframe is made out of different materials. But this can be handled by something like RAM tapes or coat to weaken or absorb the diffraction RCS. Same goes for the canopy supporting frame.

    LMFS likes this post

    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:18 am

    Stealthflanker wrote:It would still be needed mainly to give better sidelobes for the antenna and perhaps part of edge treatment against structural mode RCS. There still be discontinuities present however as the radome and airframe is made out of different materials.  But this can be handled by something like RAM tapes or coat to weaken or absorb the diffraction RCS. Same goes for the canopy supporting frame.

    Well, I am now aware I was oversimplifying, obviously the radome is transparent so there is no way it could have electrical continuity with the rest of the fuselage if it was not a composite structure... but looking the RCS measurement model and comparing the radome with the models we know it can be appreciated that it may be as you say, an internal detail. The radome joins the fuselage in a square angle and it would create return if the rear part of the radome did not create an impedance adaptation. But then, electrical continuity must be provided, so I guess my point remains that it is a part that is not meant to be opened frequently. I think there was an old development by some US manufacturer to create covers with special gasket materials that guarantee conductivity without the need of taping or coating, that may be another option.

    Could you further explain the part about side lobes and structural mode RCS? I didn't understood that.

    As to the canopy, AFAIK it is handled as a continuous conductive surface isn't it?

    BTW, do you know why the Su-35 and Su-57 (and other modern planes) have some strakes or longitudinal lines around the radome, is it related to removing static charges in absence of the pitot tube?

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Su-35_038
    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 EfOZscQVAAAA_Pg?format=jpg&name=900x900
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:02 pm

    Combat Approved, finally in English: the Su-57 especial

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkHRZ8FZGN4

    GarryB likes this post

    JohninMK
    JohninMK


    Posts : 10957
    Points : 11078
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  JohninMK Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm

    LMFS wrote:Combat Approved, finally in English: the Su-57 especial


    Ever wondered why they gave it the number 57? How about this?

    at 20:30 the guy says "if you add 22 and 35, you get 57"
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9572
    Points : 9558
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Isos Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:35 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    LMFS wrote:Combat Approved, finally in English: the Su-57 especial


    Ever wondered why they gave it the number 57? How about this?

    at 20:30 the guy says "if you add 22 and 35, you get 57"

    Because su-27/37/47 exists. Next one was 57. The other number are for derivatives like 30/33/35 or 25 for CAS. I think they keep the numbers in 7 for all new fighters since the 27.

    Maybe because 7 is a lucky number.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov


    Posts : 3006
    Points : 2988
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 pm

    Isos wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    LMFS wrote:Combat Approved, finally in English: the Su-57 especial


    Ever wondered why they gave it the number 57? How about this?

    at 20:30 the guy says "if you add 22 and 35, you get 57"

    Because su-27/37/47 exists. Next one was 57. The other number are for derivatives like 30/33/35 or 25 for CAS. I think they keep the numbers in 7 for all new fighters since the 27.

    Maybe because 7 is a lucky number.

    He was making a joke......
    LMFS
    LMFS


    Posts : 4553
    Points : 4553
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  LMFS Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:03 am

    A good image of the radome and the internal serrated edges:

    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Radome10

    GarryB, medo, magnumcromagnon, Big_Gazza, tanino, JohninMK and Gomig-21 like this post


    Sponsored content


    Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6 - Page 13 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #6

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:32 am