Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+58
Viktor
chicken
Mike E
AbsoluteZero
POKL
RTN
mutantsushi
Morpheus Eberhardt
magnumcromagnon
Vympel
collegeboy16
zino
macedonian
Werewolf
flamming_python
a89
calripson
zg18
mack8
Mindstorm
SOC
Rpg type 7v
xeno
Austin
ali.a.r
eridan
AlfaT8
Hachimoto
Sancho
TR1
Sujoy
Shadåw
KomissarBojanchev
Zivo
Mr.Kalishnikov47
George1
TheArmenian
Firebird
Kysusha
medo
Bthebrave
Cyberspec
Corrosion
Pervius
Wan2345
GarryB
Andy_Wiz
KRON1
ahmedfire
nightcrawler
Russian Patriot
milky_candy_sugar
Farhad Gulemov
Vladislav
sepheronx
Stealthflanker
Turk1
Admin
62 posters

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

GarryB
    GarryB

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 15 Empty Re: VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

Post  GarryB Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:00 pm

I largely agree with your figures Viktor, but the 24 Mig-29K are for Naval Aviation, not the Air Force.

Equally in regards to transport aircraft I think they will need a lot of lighter transports including, but not limited to the MTA with India.

I suspect the Il-76s and An-124s will get upgrades and new production models, the An-12s will be replaced with MTAs, the An-70 will fill the roles of a lot of Il-76s, which frees up those Il-76s for new roles.
    The only issue I see is the eventual retirement of the An-22 and lack of a replacement... unless the Il-106 is revived now that there is money to spend.
    TR1
    TR1

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 15 Empty Re: VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

Post  TR1 Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Honestly given how GOS is changed every 5 years I would just limit myself to guessing the numbers by 2015. Current contracts will be finished (or will be missed!) by then, and will give good idea of priorities for next 5 years.

PAK-FA numbers I am not even going to guess.
    Helicopters is a hard one- capacity is there, but it kinda depends on how many Mi-8s are bought.
    I have seen some big (400-500) Mi-8 numbers floated around for this decade, but actual VVS airframes counted have been more modest. Until I see photographic confirmation I am going to guess low to be safe. The other birds won't account for enough to meet 1000+ numbers.

I certainly don't expect more than 800 new helicopters to be delivered by 2020, and even that maybe optimistic. But anything can happen, MOD may very well order Mi-38 and increase Ka-226 and Ansat numbers; not to even mention the new "high speed" choppers in development.
    Also Putin may not just be talking about VVS, but the other many government organs that operate birds (from FSB to MCHS to Customs).
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Ive read in an aviation magazine that due to slow negotiations with the ukrainians the An-140 wont start to enter production until after 2020. Is this true?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:Ive read in an aviation magazine that due to slow negotiations with the ukrainians the An-140 wont start to enter production until after 2020. Is this true?

I assume you mean An-70, since An-140 has been produced for many years Wink
    eridan

Post  eridan Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 am

Viktor wrote: If we count:

PAK-FA - 60
    Su-34 - 124
    Su-30SM - 60
    Su-35 - 48+48 possibly more
    Mig-35 - 48
    Mig-29K - 24
    YAK-130 - 150 (my prediction - I think we should count it as a light fighter rather than in transport group Very Happy )
    ---------------------------------
    That are known or to be known orders = 570 fighters.

Well i certainly put my yak130 numbers in trainers, as that is going to be its primary role. Lets even run with your numbers here, even though additional mig35 and su35 haven't been ordered yet. I will round it up to 400 fighters.

Then yak130, il476 in transport role, plus tanker plus perhaps a few of a-100 near the end of the decade. Various other special mission airplanes which are being ordered perhaps half a dozen per year. Times 8 remaining years until 2020 that's all, realistically around 300 planes. Actually the first time i said 400 in this category but now I can't figure out how to get over 300. Unless there is going to be some primary trainer aircraft i don't know of, which is simple enough to test fly and get produced in 100 pieces within 8 years. Is there such a project?

Helicopters - well, I saw list of some 50 pieces delivered in 2011 and close to 80 being delivered in 2012. (yes, overall production per year of ALL plants goes over 100, but that is for various other customers as well, not just russian armed forces). So there is 8 more years for that production to escalate. Looking at the current fleet of helos that need to be replaced there is really even no need to go over 1000 helos within 8 years. 100 in 2013, 120 in 2014, 160 in 2016, 200 in 2018 does that sound realistic? Not to me. Such continuous escalation wouldn't make economic sense. What happens once the orders are fulfilled? Production drops to 20% of final levels? That'd make the whole process much, much more expensive. Russian armed forces are in no dire need to overpay their helicopters so much. So, realistically, 800, maybe 1000 helicopters in 8 years.

The rest, i think, is going to be modernization of existing planes. There's easely a couple of hundred of aircraft in that.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:05 am

eridan wrote:Well i certainly put my yak130 numbers in trainers, as that is going to be its primary role. Lets even run with your numbers here, even though additional mig35 and su35 haven't been ordered yet. I will round it up to 400 fighters.

Well trainer or not Yak-130 is about to get a radar set possibly even AESA one and with its armament it can be considered light attack

fighter, so besides its primary role if need arises, it can be used to attack ground and air targets as well, that`s why

I put him in a fighter section although it really does not matter since we are talking about numbers here

and with its current rate at 15 per year (as of now) for Russian airforce I think 150 of them will be made for sure.

eridan wrote:Then yak130, il476 in transport role, plus tanker plus perhaps a few of a-100 near the end of the decade. Various other special mission airplanes which are being ordered perhaps half a dozen per year. Times 8 remaining years until 2020 that's all, realistically around 300 planes. Actually the first time i said 400 in this category but now I can't figure out how to get over 300.

Perhaps even less since it is evident now that beside An-70 low production rate in Ukraine (and the one not being started in Russia)

political problem arose and Russia is pulling out. All Russian future tanker/transport/AWACS will be based on Il-476 and I can`t

see how in the hell are they going to produce 300 (by your opinion) planes. No other transport for that role exists ready to enter

production and that`s why I hopped to see An-70 production running up in Russia. Now there is no end in sight with all this problems.

eridan wrote:Helicopters - well, I saw list of some 50 pieces delivered in 2011 and close to 80 being delivered in 2012. (yes, overall production per year of ALL plants goes over 100, but that is for various other customers as well, not just russian armed forces). So there is 8 more years for that production to escalate. Looking at the current fleet of helos that need to be replaced there is really even no need to go over 1000 helos within 8 years. 100 in 2013, 120 in 2014, 160 in 2016, 200 in 2018 does that sound realistic? Not to me. Such continuous escalation wouldn't make economic sense. What happens once the orders are fulfilled? Production drops to 20% of final levels? That'd make the whole process much, much more expensive. Russian armed forces are in no dire need to overpay their helicopters so much. So, realistically, 800, maybe 1000 helicopters in 8 years.

Russia hit the 300 mark by the end of 2012 and growing. With such production capability, I see no problem in delivery.

1200 mark can be accomplished if orders are placed.

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 15 2rm8olf

eridan wrote:The rest, i think, is going to be modernization of existing planes. There's easely a couple of hundred of aircraft in that.

True, we did not count those in or perhaps those are not counted in, who could know.

This article mentiones 2000 newly produced hellos/planes but at the same time does not mentions modernized ones or what will happen and in what quantity will be non-modernized kept.

eridan

Post  eridan Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 am

That's the graph I am much more interested in than arguing about some plans and hypothetical numbers.

So, reporetedly, 250+ helos were manufactured in Russia in 2011 and 300+ in 2012? Okay, who were those helicopters sold to? It shouldn't be so hard to make up a list of how many helos went to whom, should it?

We have this source http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/28241/ alleging 50 helos were delivered to armed forces in 2011 and 80 in 2012. We have various customers like India, China etc. Do we have available numbers for the deliveries there? We had this source http://mdb.cast.ru/mdb/1-2013/item3/article1/ (sadly, suddenly it is asking for subscription, but it didn't ask for one some days ago) which listed some several dozens of helicopters delivered abroad in 2012.

So who else orders all those helicopters? Various private firms and other, non-military governement agencies in Russia? The types of helicopters offered aren't really suited for such roles. Still, what source do we have that could help us with that quest?
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 am

Putin says Russia to spend five trillion rubles on planes, choppers

Russia is preparing to allocate about 5 trillion rubles ($163 billion), or a quarter of its rearmament program this decade, to modernize combat aviation units, President Vladimir Putin said.

The country plans to purchase about 2,000 planes and helicopters to bring the share of the latest weaponry to 70 percent of the total, up from 20 percent right now, Putin said at a government meeting in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk today.

Russia's plan to upgrade the military this decade comprises the largest rearmament program since the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

"We have to completely re-equip our combat aviation," Putin said. "Our equipment should be better than foreign equivalents."
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:38 pm

I suspect some of the missing aircraft to be bought might be aircraft that have no pilot on board...

So, reporetedly, 250+ helos were manufactured in Russia in 2011 and 300+ in 2012? Okay, who were those helicopters sold to? It shouldn't be so hard to make up a list of how many helos went to whom, should it?

Easy... and hard.

Official published information is easy...

Go here: http://armstrade.sipri.org/armstrade/page/trade_register.php

Choose Russia as supplier and leave recipient as all, make 2011 the year, Choose aircraft and choose suppliers as the focus and click the download button and it will list the aircraft officially and legally exported by Russia including helos and fixed wing aircraft.

No data for 2012 yet.

Note these are exported aircraft ONLY and does not include aircraft bought by the Russian military or government departments.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

According to Peter Butovo in the January issue of the magazine in 2013 "Air International"

main events in Russian/Ukraine aviation in 2013 will be:

- first flight of A-100 (being in assembly stage as of now)
    - first flight of A-90 (potentially)
    - "next" stage in A-60 development
    - continuation of M-55 (used for testing flight systems of future Russian UAV)
    - PAK-FA on schedule (Russian and Indian version)
    - MIG-35 orders (40 probable with deliveries starting in 2014 - AESA radar is not secure)
    - China interest in Zhuk-AE (if China buys it, more probable installation in MIG-35 (current configuration Zhuk-M))
    - 110 seat SSJ

Well certainly something to discuss about.

Forecast of the main events in the Russian and Ukrainian aircraft industry in 2013

Strategic management and guidance
    In 2013, we expect the first flight of the new aircraft AWACS Beriev A-100 - a prototype aircraft is currently under construction at Beria plant in Taganrog. The aircraft is the conversion of the A-50 series. A-100 is equipped with a completely new core electronic system built around a radar with active vertical scanning and mechanical - on the horizon (radome antenna rotates on its axis.) The size and method of installation on two pylons is similar A-50.

Serial A-100 will be issued on the basis of transport aircraft Il-76MD-90A (also known as "product 476"). The first copy of "476-th" first flew in Ulyanovsk, September 22, 2012 The aircraft is powered by four turbojet engines PS-90A-76, and a completely new avionics, as well as a change in the design, including a new wing at 2.7 tons lighter than its predecessor. In 2013, two Il-76MD-90A, intended for testing, should make its first flight.

Recently, the Russian Air Force ordered 39 Il-76MD-90A for a total of about 140 billion rubles, deliveries to begin in 2014

Il-76MD-90A will be the basis for several types of special-purpose aircraft, which, along with the A-100 is also being developed in KB Beriev. In the building is a prototype electronic warfare aircraft A-90, but based on the conventional IL-76, not modify, the MD-90A. The first flight could also take place in the current year.

Beria also launched the next stage of the laser airborne A-60. The first prototype flew in 1981, and tests laser gun began two years later. Initially, the task A-60 was to destroy reconnaissance balloons, the aircraft was equipped with a radar sighting "Ladoga", set in the drop-shaped radome in the nose of the aircraft. The laser gun was mounted in the cargo bay, and the beam was directed to the target by a system of mirrors. In summer 2003, testing of the A-60 have resumed, but the goal was a "blinding" enemy satellites. State test A-60 successfully completed in 2009, and the Bureau Beriev is currently in development of advanced laser-based systems, "476-th."

Return of the "Mystery"

Since 1996, the only instance of flying high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft M-55 (M-17RM) "Mystic» RA-55204 regularly participates in international scientific studies on the state of the atmosphere around the world, from the Arctic to the Antarctic.

In 2013, the operation of the M-55 will continue, but for the first time in a long time by the Russian Ministry of Defence. The aircraft will serve as a platform for testing control systems of three large UAVs, ordered by the Ministry of Defense, "pacer", "Altius" and "Hunter." "Pacer" is a mid-range UAVs weighing up to 1 ton, similar to the U.S. MQ-1 Predator. "Altius" will weigh five tons and will be close to the MQ-9 Reaper. The biggest "Hunter" is a severe shock UAVs.

The first PAK FA Akhtubinsk

In the Russian Air Force tactical aircraft continue testing fighter T-50 and Su-35, in the middle of November 2012 three prototype T-50 took part in the trials. T-50-4 (fourth prototype) must adhere to the testing program. According to head of the KLA Mikhail Pogosyan, the fifth prototype T-50-5 should fly soon. This aircraft will install the full set of electronic equipment: SH121 radar, radar N036 and airborne defense L403 and optoelectronic system 101KS. According to the General Director of the Corporation "Tactical Missiles" Boris Obnosova, development of new weapons for the PAK FA is on schedule, and the first missile launches from the T-50 "soon" will be held. In an earlier statement, Mikhail Pogosyan claimed that "in 2013, will begin joint testing with the Ministry of Defence." This means that the T-50 will be transferred to the Testing Center of the Ministry of Defence in Akhtubinsk.

At the end of December 2012 had to be signed contract between Russia and India in the next stage of development of a fifth generation fighter FGFA based on the PAK FA. In 2010, the two sides signed a contract worth $ 295 million for preliminary design of FGFA. Under the terms of the new contract should be drawn up technical design of the new fighter, and is believed to be the three prototypes to be built in India.

New orders for MiG-35

In 2013, the RAC "MiG" should begin to enter into annual contracts packages to the new MiG-35 of the Russian Air Force, for the first time in many years.

The first of the 24 ships of the MiG-29K, the one ordered by the Russian Ministry of Defense, will be delivered in the coming months.

In accordance with the state armament program for the period up to 2020, the Russian Air Force purchased 40 MiG-35, the first deliveries expected to begin in 2014, the total number of contracted aircraft will depend on the price, which will be able to come to terms. Usually, the Russian Air Force ordered the maximum number of aircraft in accordance with the available budget, and the rest is written in the option.

The final configuration of the aircraft is still unclear. Under current requirements, the aircraft will be equipped with radar "Zhuk-M" with a mechanical antenna as a cheaper and is in series production version. However, the installation of the radar "Zhuk-A" AFAR also being considered. This system is interested in China. If China will order a "Bug-A" for its fighters, by the same token it would be possible to complete the development of, and radar cheaper for Russian Air Force.

110-seat Superjet

Russian civil aircraft is in a long-term crisis, and there is no indication that the situation has improved significantly in 2013, 95-seat aircraft Sukhoi Superjet 100 partially exploited, and it is slowly increasing production. Ambitious MS-21 by 150-180 passenger is under development and is supported by large public investments. But his first flight will take place no earlier than 2016

The only program that will be implemented in 2013, may be the official start of the development of the 110 local modifications Superjet. This aircraft was the sudden decision of dry, because not so long ago its representatives claimed that will be developed by the 130-seater. But in November, Mikhail Pogosyan said that was selected 110 local modification, since in contrast to the 130-seat, it allows the use of existing technology Superjet, and no need to develop a new composite wing.

Ukraine: The Beginning of the Antonov An-178

SE "Antonov" is currently in the conversion of the old An-2 in a new version of the An-2-100, equipped with a turboprop engine. The first flight of the new aircraft will take place at the beginning of 2013 was a program used to modernize the An-2, and equipping it with turboprop engine HPT-20 with an index of An-3. Numerous other improvements have been rejected because of the price of more than $ 2 million, and for more than 10 years of conversion was only 20 aircraft.

The new program of An-2-100 involves the installation of Ukrainian Motor MS-14 production of JSC "Motor Sich", the cost per aircraft will be 900 thousand dollars

But remotorizatsiya An-2 is not a priority for the Antonov Design Bureau, as all the power left to develop a new medium military transport aircraft An-178, capable of carrying 15 tons of cargo to a range of 2,000 km. AN-178 will be based on passenger aircraft An-158, taking away most of the systems and the wing. However turbojet engines D-436-148 with the FADEC will be boosted. The fuselage of the An-178 will also be a completely new design, differing availability of rear ramp. Assembly of the first prototype will begin in 2013, the first flight is scheduled for 2014

LINK
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Beriev A-60 isn't a waste of money?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Honestly given how GOS is changed every 5 years I would just limit myself to guessing the numbers by 2015. Current contracts will be finished (or will be missed!) by then, and will give good idea of priorities for next 5 years.

An important part of management is long term goal setting, backed up with regular checks and updates.

A good example is the S-400... early plans were not going to be met for production numbers so a revision was made to the plan... another factory was built to speed up production so the production figures could be met on time.

It doesn't make sense to build 1,000 factories to make new planes, because after they are made they will fall to ruin if there is no more work for them, so you need to work out what level of production facilities you need to produce what you need over a specific time period. Reality always steps in here because you might find they can't make them fast enough and you need to adjust the plan, or extra demand might require an increase in production potential is needed... you can't tell these things till you are several years into implementing the plan, so you have 1 year plans, and 5 year plans and 10 year plans... and yes even 20 year plans, and you make sure all your plans lead you in the same direction... some things can't be fixed or developed in one year... some can't even be fixed in 20 years, but things like Aircraft carriers are not relevant to the one year plan but in every one year plan you need to prepare for the things in the 10 and 20 year plan to prevent problems further down the track.

A good example would be the upgrade for the Kuznetsov... a cheap simple upgrade is one thing but a significant upgrade of nuclear power plant, removal of AShMs and major upgrade of systems and an EM cat would be ambitious but also create a framework for new carrier designs in terms of propulsion testing and systems and weapons and aircraft, so you would have a 20 year plan for new Carriers but after 2018-20 when the K is out of refit you will have more data to base plans for the new carriers on, so that data becomes more concrete and useful.

Now that the Su-35S is in serial production and its costs are known it might result in the Su-35S order being increased if there are problems with the PAK FA, or if that aircraft program goes smoothly the order for PAK FA might be increased... plans are just plans and need to be flexible to be of any use.

It is good to see they are introducing a new EW aircraft (A90), while the A-60 should be very useful too. Blinding optical satellites is one thing, but I suspect blinding UAVs and UCAVs might be useful too.

Hunter UCAV a severe shock UCAV? I guess that means it is an attack UCAV with a fairly heavy payload potential...

I hope they go with the AESA for the Mig-35 from the outset, though if they buy more planes without it then that is OK too... as the technology matures they will get cheaper so it makes sense not to rush in unless you have to.

Regarding the An-178 hopefully Russia will buy the MTA with India instead.
    eridan

Post  eridan Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am

GarryB wrote:
    Official published information is easy...

Go here: http://armstrade.sipri.org/armstrade/page/trade_register.php

Note these are exported aircraft ONLY and does not include aircraft bought by the Russian military or government departments.

Thank you for the link, that's a nice resource to have. Yet, as far as i can see, they are really guessing the numbers, based on various media sources. It doesn't look as if they have any confirmation from the actual suppliers or recipients. There's mig31 included for syria, as if that went through, which is a bit shady. Also, oftentime they are not sure if some sold stuff is new or second hand and refurbished. Then there are delivery brackets - sometimes they seem sure that a certain number of equipment was delivered in a given year, at other time they just say XX pieces were delivered within several years. So, a precise and official list that isn't. But still, it's the best resource i've seen so far. I managed to count around 110 helicopters delivered in 2011, up to 140 if one includes the second hand refurbished ones.

That would imply russian non-military customers got delivered some 90 or so helicopters in 2011. What resources do we have to confirm that? And what helos would those be? Smallest ones? For Police, etc?
    Austin

Post  Austin Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 am

Some food for thought on SAP 2020 and why it might get revised.

http://periscope2.ru/2013/02/26/7007/
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:51 am

But still, it's the best resource i've seen so far. I managed to count around 110 helicopters delivered in 2011, up to 140 if one includes the second hand refurbished ones.

110-140 based on the export list?

That would imply russian non-military customers got delivered some 90 or so helicopters in 2011.

No. That would suggest that domestic users had some 90 aircraft delivered... including the military and various government departments including EMERCOM et al.

There were likely a dozen Ka-52s, a dozen more Mi-28Ns, and another dozen Mi-17s delivered in that period (2011) which is more than 1/3rd of that 90... I think other government departments getting 60 is perfectly reasonable considering they haven't bought helos in quite a while now.

Some food for thought on SAP 2020 and why it might get revised.

The only plan that never gets revised is a completed plan.

An inflexible plan is worse than no plan at all.
    eridan

Post  eridan Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 am

but do we have a list of domestic deliveries? So we don't have to guess? I mean, it's not a state secret, we are not talking about military deliveries. There should be resources that have such info - which private entity bought how many helos, how many went to the police, how many for civilian rescue and medical service etc etc. But western helicopters seem to hold most of the market there. mi8/17 family is too big to be used by new non-military operators most of the time. ka-62 and ansat are too now, they haven't been delivered in 2011. That pretty much leaves ka-226 as the most prospectful platform for domestic, non-military customers. But as far as i could google, since its entry into service, perhaps several dozens have been sold in these ten or so years. We really need a source with a detailed list.
    Firebird

Post  Firebird Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 am

I wonder how the UCAV situation will emerge in the State Rearnament Program. Likewise, we're seeing a vast number of copters being introduced. Given the state of much of the older inventory, that makes sense. However, what will be the plan for next-gen/ 5G copters in all this?

Also, some of this depends on the speed of introduction of the Pak-Fa. Also, will there be a lighter stealth plane( we assume Mig) introduced sooner rather than later. Whats clear is that there IS a big commitment to the RuAF's planes and copters. I wonder how the bomber division will be updated too. And how this will affect military doctrine until 2020 and beyond eg 2030 and 2040...

I don't think there seems to be much weakness in Russia's military aviation. The weak spot appears to be civil aviation(naturally this can be expected to take some time - post dissolution of the USSR). Ofcourse, a strong civil sector should help UAC's military sector.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 am

eridan wrote:but do we have a list of domestic deliveries? So we don't have to guess? I mean, it's not a state secret, we are not talking about military deliveries. There should be resources that have such info - which private entity bought how many helos, how many went to the police, how many for civilian rescue and medical service etc etc. But western helicopters seem to hold most of the market there. mi8/17 family is too big to be used by new non-military operators most of the time. ka-62 and ansat are too now, they haven't been delivered in 2011. That pretty much leaves ka-226 as the most prospectful platform for domestic, non-military customers. But as far as i could google, since its entry into service, perhaps several dozens have been sold in these ten or so years. We really need a source with a detailed list.
    Significant numbers of helicopters (mostly Mi-8/17) are purchase by large companies (like Gasprom) and airlines (like Utair). And yes, I would like to see a list of all deliveries (military, civil and export) too.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:33 am

I mean, it's not a state secret, we are not talking about military deliveries.

It is commercial information they simply don't divulge... your guess is as good as mine.

Perhaps the best source would be to check the end of year financial statements for the various helo producers...
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 15 Empty Russian Air Force - The Next Decade

Post  Sujoy Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:32 am

President Vladimir Putin quantifies his strategy for the Russian Air Force in the next decade. 5 trillion roubles to be spent on rearming the air force.

The armed forces and the military industrial complex must listen to each other and keep their sights on the future, rather than the existing weaponry, Vladimir Putin told a meeting dedicated to the development of combat aviation at the Novosibirsk Aircraft Plant.
    “History will not provide us with another opportunity to accomplish, within the required time-frame, with the necessary quality, and while the money is available, the large-scale tasks that face our country in the area of securing its ability to defend itself,” Putin warned.
    The president reminded those in attendance that combat aviation would have to be almost entirely overhauled. “The characteristics of new equipment must exceed the world’s best offerings,” he said. “If we choose today’s equipment as something to aspire to, then tomorrow we will fall behind, and tonight we will have to think about re-equipping again,” the president said, painting a grim picture. “It is necessary to think forward, at least several steps ahead,” he explained.

Deliveries of modern aviation equipment to the armed forces have already started, Putin said, adding that he meant the deliveries of serially manufactured products. He recalled that 25 percent of financing for state defence orders, worth 5 trillion roubles, would be spent on rearming the Air Force. “The plan is to purchase almost 2000 aircraft and helicopters,” he said. This should help increase the share of modern aviation equipment in the Armed Forces to 70 percent by 2020. “Unfortunately, it currently stands at around 20 percent,” the president commented.
    Companies in the arms industry must also undergo a deep technological retooling. Putin is confident that increasing output while simultaneously revamping production facilities is a difficult but totally feasible task. The Novosibirsk Aircraft Plant is a good example of this. “If they can do this, then others can too,” Putin said.

The president proposed discussing maintenance too, because it determines the equipment’s combat capabilities, service life and flight safety. He believes that maintenance obligations should be included in existing equipment supply contracts for the entire service lives of aircraft and helicopters.
    Putin inspected the Novosibirsk Chkalov Aircraft Plant factory where the multirole Sukhoi-34 bomber is assembled. According to United Aircraft Building Corporation head Mikhail Pogosyan, six out of 14 planes scheduled for delivery this year are undergoing final assembly. Deliveries will start in May this year.

According to a plant spokesman, contracts for the delivery of more than 100 aircraft through 2020 have been signed. Serial production has shaved 250 million roubles off the price of each Sukhoi-34, which cost more than one billion roubles apiece.

What equipment we are expecting
    The implementation of the state armament programme will help accomplish a large-scale and quality re-equipment of Russia’s Air Force with new-generation technology by 2020.

Bombers
    Two fully fledged Sukhoi-34 bomber squadrons have already been formed. This plane is different from all of its global peers in that it combines perfectly the capabilities of an assault frontline bomber, a long-range interceptor and a heavy fighter on par with the Sukhoi-27 in terms of manoeuvrability.

Fighters
    Deliveries of the Sukhoi-35 fighters, whose characteristics put them very close to fifth-generation aircraft, have started.
    The Prospective Airborne Complex of Frontline Aviation (PAK FA), code-named T-50, is successfully nearing the completion of certification tests. The Air Force will receive the first batches of a fully fledged Russian-made fifth-generation fighter by 2020.

Carrier-based aircraft, military cargo planes and helicopters
    The Russian Ministry of Defence has signed contracts for the purchase of the Sukhoi-34 and Sukhoi-35 jets, as well as for the newest carrier-based MiG-29K/KUB, the Il-476 airlifter, the Yak-130 advanced jet trainer, the Mi-28N and the Ka-52 helicopters, and other aviation equipment.

The Ka-52 ‘Alligator’ is joining the Armed Forces together with the Mi-24N. The Ka-52 is the world’s only combat helicopter with an active system of defence against portable Stinger-type anti-aircraft missiles and a catapult and parachute crew rescue system. A carrier-based version of this machine is reportedly getting ready for production and will be used at Russia’s Mistral helicopter carriers.
    Aircraft weapon engineers are finishing the development of new-generation missiles capable of efficiently destroying all kinds of airborne, surface and floating targets.

Source : ROSSIYSKAYA GAZETA
    Austin

Post  Austin Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 am

I have latest issue of AFM which has a good 12 page article on Russian Airforce will scan the entire stuff and put it up this week
    Shadåw
    Shadåw

Post  Shadåw Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:44 am

Austin wrote:I have latest issue of AFM which has a good 12 page article on Russian Airforce will scan the entire stuff and put it up this week

I suggest you add the "Pivoting around the Arctic Sea" part as well including the exersice part by the Arctic, yeah i got AFM as well xP
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

http://russianplanes.net/images/to102000/101623.jpg.jpg

Ka-226s in one of the new shelters popping up around.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 am

Looks to me to be a temporary (and portable) shelter.
    Austin

Post  Austin Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Take Off Magazine April 2013 issue

http://en.take-off.ru/pdf_to/to26.pdf

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:14 pm