Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+58
Viktor
chicken
Mike E
AbsoluteZero
POKL
RTN
mutantsushi
Morpheus Eberhardt
magnumcromagnon
Vympel
collegeboy16
zino
macedonian
Werewolf
flamming_python
a89
calripson
zg18
mack8
Mindstorm
SOC
Rpg type 7v
xeno
Austin
ali.a.r
eridan
AlfaT8
Hachimoto
Sancho
TR1
Sujoy
Shadåw
KomissarBojanchev
Zivo
Mr.Kalishnikov47
George1
TheArmenian
Firebird
Kysusha
medo
Bthebrave
Cyberspec
Corrosion
Pervius
Wan2345
GarryB
Andy_Wiz
KRON1
ahmedfire
nightcrawler
Russian Patriot
milky_candy_sugar
Farhad Gulemov
Vladislav
sepheronx
Stealthflanker
Turk1
Admin
62 posters

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

TR1
    TR1

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 9 Empty Re: VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

Post  TR1 Tue May 22, 2012 9:05 pm

http://lenta.ru/news/2012/05/22/replacement/

Well consider me excited for the new aircraft, looks like the RuAF really wants a cheap and survivable new asset to replace Su-25.
    Zelin says the Yak-131 was fine in terms of weaponry and combat load, but failed in pilot protection.

Many questions however:
    -Article says aircraft will use better radar, but the implication is strange since Su-25 does not have any radar.
    -What engines will power it, surely not R-195?
    -What is the extent of LO features, since presumable the payload will still be external?
    George1
    George1

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 9 Empty Re: VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

Post  George1 Tue May 22, 2012 9:11 pm

For me is strange that they look to replace Su-25 and not MiG-29 whose service life has already expired
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 pm

MiG-29 service life has expired? Then by what magic are all those MiG-29s flying still Wink ?

Su-25's are just as old as MiG-29s, even more in fact.
    Also completely different roles.
    VVS is getting several A2A assets: PAK-FA, Su-35, Su-30, etc.
    But only one A2G asset, the Su-34. So this makes sense.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue May 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Actually the VVS has some very much new MiG-29s. The ones they got back from the cancelled Algeria order.
    GarryB
    GarryB

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 9 Empty New attack aircraft

Post  GarryB Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 am

-Article says aircraft will use better radar, but the implication is strange since Su-25 does not have any radar.

After perfecting air to ground radar and air to air radar for their main two attack helos, I would suspect fitting them to their new CAS would make sense even just so that the CAS pilots can see what the Helos that they will be operating with can see.

The Su-25TM was fitted to carry a belly mounted radar pod to give it all weather day and night performance, but it was not accepted into service.

There were plans to fit the Su-25SM with a fixed nose mounted radar (which would give it a better forward view compared with a belly mounting position), but those plans didn't seem to progress either.

-What engines will power it, surely not R-195?

Depends how much weight the new aircraft gains... the turbojet engine is supposed to offer better throttle response (ie winds up faster... which can be critical when flying low in the mountains), but they could easily go for something radical like a contra rotating pusher propeller which would be efficient at low level.

-What is the extent of LO features, since presumable the payload will still be external?

Being a subsonic aircraft I would expect modified fixed air intakes would be a cheap and effective change, and likely redesigned structure to hide important components, and allow DIRCM turrets a nice wide field of regard.

For me is strange that they look to replace Su-25 and not MiG-29 whose service life has already expired

The replacement program for the Mig-29 was called LFI to match the MFI program that eventually became the PAK FA program. I rather suspect that the replacement for the Mig-29 was delayed because Sukhoi wants to reduce the success of the new fighter... whose goals of low operating cost and relatively low purchase costs with a light 5th gen fighter bomber should sell like the Flanker sells now.

AFAIK they have quite a few Mig-29s in storage and with minor upgrades they could be put into service fairly cheaply, so I think there is no real urgency in spending money on a replacement. The Mig-29 is a perfectly adequate numbers aircraft right now, and with a proper upgrade its operational costs are fairly low... reportedly in the 5-6,000 per flight hour range.

Su-25's are just as old as MiG-29s, even more in fact.
    Also completely different roles.
    VVS is getting several A2A assets: PAK-FA, Su-35, Su-30, etc.
    But only one A2G asset, the Su-34. So this makes sense.

Also a key consideration is that Frontal Aviation lost all those single engine fighters/bombers like the Mig-27, the Su-17 and the Mig-21s and Mig-15s etc etc that had a swing role of basic ground attack.

Currently with greatly reduced aircraft numbers the Su-25 and Su-24/34 are becoming critical, though their upgrades make them orders of magnitude more powerful and effective than the older model jets...

Actually the VVS has some very much new MiG-29s. The ones they got back from the cancelled Algeria order.

Would like to see them give more aircraft upgrades however...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri May 25, 2012 4:46 am

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun May 27, 2012 12:00 am

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Russia to Reopen Arctic Airbases

Selected air units of Russia’s Western military district will start this year preparations to return to abandoned Arctic airfields, the commander of the district’s aviation Maj. Gen. Igor Makushev said on Wednesday.

Military airfields in the Arctic were used extensively in the Soviet era, but after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 they have been generally mothballed.

“We will start reopening airfields on Novaya Zemlya and in Naryan-Mar as early as this summer,” Makushev told a news conference in St. Petersburg.

Plans for next year include the reopening of a military airfield on Graham Bell Island, which is part of Franz Josef Land.

Russia has announced plans to deploy a combined-arms force to protect its political and economic interests in the Arctic region by 2020, including military, border and coastal guard units to guarantee Russia's military security in diverse military and political circumstances.

Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said in July 2011 that two arctic brigades would be stationed in “Murmansk or Arkhangelsk or some other place.”

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120530/173757083.html
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 am

Transport aviation plans:

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=76013
    http://vif2ne.ru/nvk/forum/0/co/2330325.htm

100 MTA
    10 An-140s already ordered, highly likely there will be follow on.
    60 An-70
    41 Il-76MDM (modernization). In 2011, 12 Il-76s were repaired, while in 2009 and 2010, only 2-3 planes were repaired yearly.
    40 Il-476
    An-124: 1st stage 2011-2015, 11 to be modernized, 2nd stage 2016-2020 another 10 slated for modernization. They will be ordering new build planes as well, and goal is to have "25 combat ready An-124s by 2020".

Now, even accounting for time-table changes and likely force re-organization, that seems very ambitious, and a sizable number considering the size of the RuAF as a whole, in 2020.
    I'd like to see more modest plans for Transport aviation in exchange for a MiG-35 batch.
    Also looks like An-70 and MTA commitments are firm.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 am

MTA and An-70 are in different classes.

The MTA is a direct replacement for An-12 and does not really exceed the payload capacity at all, so it will likely just be more sophisticated and cheaper to operate replacement for an older platform.

The An-70 is a bit like the Su-34 in that it might have been designed to replace the Su-24 (AN-12) but its improved performance and capabilities means it can actually replace the next model up.. which in strike terms is the Tu-22M3 and in transport terms is the Il-76.

The An-70 should be easily better than the early models of the Il-76, though it might lack speed performance... though when dropping things by parachute that is a good thing.

I think both aircraft will be very useful and internationally the An-70 will offer air forces an aircraft significantly more capable than any model Herc (C-130) but without the peak performance and also without the enormous cost of a C-17. To take a 30 ton payload from A to B it would be much cheaper to use an AN-70.

For countries not operating 70 ton tanks the An-70 would be fine.
    Viktor
    Viktor

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1 - Page 9 Empty Military airfields status

Post  Viktor Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Now this is interesting. Does anybody know how many military bases will there be by 2020 or batter its location?

He mentioned work on Russia’s military airfield network. During the last four years, four new airfields were built and 28 were reportedly modernized. Work to the tune of 40 billion rubles is planned for nine more over the coming four years.

LINK
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:48 pm

http://russianplanes.net/id80209

Wow great pic! Helicopter base, Ka-52s, Mi-24s, Mi-8s, and a Su-25UB taking of.
    Andy_Wiz
    Andy_Wiz

Post  Andy_Wiz Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 am

Hi guys, long time no see.
    I just did this spreadsheet of RuAF programs going forward
    Download it here and here
    This is not complete I have more data, I just decided to post it as is. Perhaps I'll update it later.
    If you have data on codenames, numbers (existing/planned) please PM me to not spam the topic.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:05 am

Nice, Andy, thanks for posting.

Are both spreadsheets the same? I assumed so and only downloaded one.

Also... might be a dumb question, but why make a spreadsheet in Word instead of Excel?

Thanks again for posting. Smile

Edit: I just read you posting the same spreadsheet on MP.net, and after reading a complaint about problems downloading on a mobile phone from Artjohm a joke reply popped into my head... "Take a tablet".... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed of course because a tablet computer would be easier to use than a phone... OK I didn't say it was a good joke. Smile
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:52 am

lol funny thing is last night I was browsing in bed on an iPad, and tried to open Andy's spreadsheet to little success!

Works fine on my desktop though, good work.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:11 am

So can we say tablets didn't help? Smile

Maybe you need prescribed tablets...
    Andy_Wiz
    Andy_Wiz

Post  Andy_Wiz Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:27 am

GarryB wrote:Nice, Andy, thanks for posting.

Are both spreadsheets the same? I assumed so and only downloaded one.

No. the depositfile link is more debugged.

GarryB wrote:
    Also... might be a dumb question, but why make a spreadsheet in Word instead of Excel?

Thanks again for posting. Smile

Hey, I am a Word guy Cool

Thanks, Garry and TR1!
    I have no had time to update it yet. I will be updating here as well. If you have comments use PM or send me an email mykhas@gmail.com
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Ok, so my feedback and general musings about your data Andy, from top down:
    1.) Su-27SM3 - AFAIK the program is complete, are there really firm plans for more to be upgraded?
    2.) MiG-29SMT- should probably indicate the new UBs (6 of them from the Algerian order), they are not SMTs but are will last much longer than legacy MiG-29s.
    3.) PAK-FA plan is quite a bit more than 150, but I would refrain from guessing there due to so many variables.
    4.) From what I gathered @ BMPD.ru, there are ~50 Gefest Su-24s today. Su-24M2 numbers are more of a mystery - 24 were upgraded @ NAPO, but another workshop was involved (forget which), so the number is anywhere frm 24-48.
    5.) Do you know if the Gefest upgrade involves recapitalizing the airframe like Su-24M2?
    6.) http://vif2ne.ru/nvk/forum/archive/2356/2356154.htm
    VTA plans
    7.) I believe there are only 2 An-140s delivered to date. Also they mentioned it is going to be used more as a light personnel lifter, not really a cargo plane.
    8.) Yak-130 orders AFAIK are 12 for the 1st batch, 55 for the 2nd, and 10 for the 3rd batch. There were 11 in service @ the end of 2011, and another 15 are joining them this year.
    9.) 48 Mi-35Ms are on order.
    10.) I don't think anywhere near 12 Ka-50s are flight worthy today, maybe half that number.
    11.)My numbers for Ansat-U are up to 70 through 2020.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

I would add I think I read somewhere that Klimov were working on the new 2,700hp engines for the new Russian helos in the 10 ton class... ie Mi-28N/M, Ka-52, Ka-32 etc and they would be ready for production in 2014/15 with the new engine so that they don't need to buy the engines from the Ukraine...
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 am

Russian AF to proceed with plans to buy 50 Eurocopter for training/utility

Defense Ministry did not abandon its plans to purchase abroad, a large party of light helicopters.

The first five copter of Western European group Eurocopter already on trial in the State Flight Test Center, "Interfax-AVN" on Wednesday, a source familiar with the situation.

"In the GLIC in the test group received five helicopters, Eurocopter - two twin-engine AS355NP and three single engine AS350B3", - said.

He noted that, although announced in earlier this year a tender for the purchase of 50 multi-purpose light helicopter (43 single-engine and 7 twin ) of the total cost of 6.5 billion rubles, the Ministry of Defence has canceled what was officially announced on the website actually talks continued.

"The parties have agreed to test the helicopter and then make a final decision about their purchase," - said.

http://www.interfax.ru/news.asp?id=253847

All of these foreign purchases are starting to make me sick.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Important skill in reading news reports is to actually read what is written...

Lesson 1 ignore anything that might be in the title as it is the sales pitch and is almost always misleading.

Note this bit at the end:

"The parties have agreed to test the helicopter and then make a final decision about their purchase," - said.

In other words the title says they are going to buy while this quoted part suggests they haven't even tested them yet and will not make a decision till after they have tested them.

Claims that local helos can't be made quickly enough is bullsht because if they want these European helos they will have to build facilities to make them... which will make them pretty expensive unless they make thousands.

Instead of buying these European helos I suspect they will test them and reject them on some minor drawback... like they don't operate well at minus 40 degrees C.

The money they would spend on building a factory to make these foreign helos they could spend on a factory to make domestic helos, and in making them they will reduce the costs of these helos to make them more attractive on the export market.

The point is that making domestic helos keeps Russian cash in Russia and invests money into Russian companies that can then expand and improve and grow and create better products and hire more Russians in skilled jobs etc etc.

Few NATO countries will buy Russian products to help out Russia... they certainly didn't during the economic collapses of the 1990s.

As far as I am concerned foreign purchases made sense in terms of French Thermal Imagers, and French helicopter carriers, but in terms of armoured vehicles and small arms and tanks and pretty much anything except electronics then Russian is best.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm aware that this deal isn't signed as of yet. All I'm saying is that considering all of the somewhat pointless foreign purchases lately, it would come as no surprise if the MOD actually went through with the purchase.

GarryB wrote:Instead of buying these European helos I suspect they will test them and reject them on some minor drawback... like they don't operate well at minus 40 degrees C.

Considering the purchases of the Iveco despite it's less than pleasing performance on rugged train or in deep snow during testing, I don't know if we can be so sure of that.

GarryB wrote:As far as I am concerned foreign purchases made sense in terms of French Thermal Imagers, and French helicopter carriers, but in terms of armoured vehicles and small arms and tanks and pretty much anything except electronics then Russian is best.

Agreed.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:06 am

I'm aware that this deal isn't signed as of yet. All I'm saying is that considering all of the somewhat pointless foreign purchases lately, it would come as no surprise if the MOD actually went through with the purchase.

If you look carefully at the actual deals that have gone through... even 60 years ago, the goal wasn't to put the product into service in Russian, it was to get the product type into production in Russia.

The Russians aren't idiots, but they have gotten a little behind because of a well known gap of funding and support.

Just after WWII the Russians realised the power and performance of British jet engines and despite working on their own jet engine types and also getting access to several German engine types, they still purchased British engines and bought production rights... for the Derwent and Nene jet engine types. The production facilities that were set up to build these engines were used to further develop new engines , so in a way they were actually buying a foreign model of a system and then buying production facilities to make that model and then using the experience of assembling and producing that model to base new designs and models upon.

It will be the same with the Catherine Thermal Imagers, though the lack of a cold war means that the Russians can continue to work with Thales on new models of improved performance.

The Russian Mistrals will be different from French Mistrals... for a start they will have very different aircraft and weapons systems fitted. More importantly the shipyards that build the two Russian Mistrals will be upgraded and ready to produce a range of ships using modern techniques that were unavailable to them even right now.
    More importantly they will have experience in new building techniques and a skilled work force able to use the new tools and production methods.

If the Russians had decided to build an all Russian ship it would be 10 years before 2-3 designs could be drawn up and tested and prototypes put in the water and even then there could be huge problems. Look at the Lada class sub... they didn't realise there would be problems till they actually built a boat and put it in the water. They have worked out the problems and come up with solutions and will apply those solutions to two other Lada class subs already laid down but they have a lot more experience building conventional subs than helo carriers.

By buying a French carrier that is proven and tested in service they can get it into useful service quicker, and they get to make two of them in their own shipyards so they get the building experience.

The only problem there is that the ship designers are left out of the loop, but they are still required to redesign the Mistrals for Russian use... strengthened hulls for operations near ice and enlarged hangars for coaxial rotor helos, and of course significant fire power increases.

And of course there will be support ships that will be needed for the Mistrals and other new ships to operate properly.

Considering the purchases of the Iveco despite it's less than pleasing performance on rugged train or in deep snow during testing, I don't know if we can be so sure of that.

But how many have they actually bought? AFAIK they bought 10 for testing. To cover territory the size of Russia they need thousands of different types of vehicles, and for all we know they might intend to sell them to CSTO partners anyway. Put this in perspective... the maximum number I have seen even suggested is something like 1,500 vehicles... and the Italian military use 7,000 according to Wiki.

I rather suspect these vehicles... even if they do buy them, will go to the MVD border patrol in places where there is no deep snow, or sold on to third countries.

Just my opinion of course.

Of course politics is always an issue and I suspect if any real purchases of Ivecos take place it will be because Italy is going to buy x number of AK-12s in 5.56 and 7.62 x 51mm or perhaps RPO-A launchers for Afghanistan, or Pecheneg in 7.62 x 51mm calibre... Twisted Evil
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 am

Garry, your unfailing optimism is always refreshing Smile

I hope your theory is correct. Actually seeing the PKP being used in Afghanistan would be pretty awesome. It's perfectly suited for that type of environment.

Also, only ten Ivecos? Are you sure? I keep seeing them pop up on a pretty much daily basis on the Russian Photos thread. . Seems like a whole lot more.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:43 am

Found this article from Arms-Tass that suggests production/assembly of 150 this year...

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Farmstass.su%2F%3Fpage%3Darticle%26aid%3D105951%26cid%3D25&sl=&tl=en

I suspect the Italian vehicle likely uses ceramic armour that the Russian military wants access to. There is no point in being safe if you can't drive off road for 8 months of the year because the snow or mud is an obstacle...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am