Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+50
x_54_u43
Broski
franco
thegopnik
Begome
marcellogo
owais.usmani
AlfaT8
Big_Gazza
JohninMK
nero
william.boutros
Azi
Isos
PapaDragon
Hole
Arrow
Viktor
dino00
LMFS
miketheterrible
magnumcromagnon
GunshipDemocracy
Ivanov673
hoom
Mike E
navyfield
Deep Throat
Vann7
NickM
Mindstorm
mack8
Sujoy
Stealthflanker
flamming_python
gaurav
TheArmenian
Admin
KomissarBojanchev
George1
Morpheus Eberhardt
medo
Cyberspec
GarryB
Rpg type 7v
sepheronx
TR1
SOC
xeno
Austin
54 posters

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Empty Some of the Older and the Newer Variants of the 9M96 Family

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat May 24, 2014 2:22 am

Some of the older and newer variants of the 9M96 family:

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 W42M49z
    navyfield
    navyfield

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Empty Re: S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System

Post  navyfield Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:9M100

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 4RoGOMj
    strange it has no canards.
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sat May 24, 2014 10:49 pm

navyfield wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:9M100

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 4RoGOMj
    strange it has no canards.

it might not need any.
    It can still however gain high maneuverability through TVC.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun May 25, 2014 12:05 pm

It will have full thrust vector control so external control surfaces can be minimised.

This means that the air launched model has few folding parts so it can be carried in internal bays or on multiple ejector racks on conventional pylons.

It is also going to be a CIWS missile like Sea Ram for the Russian Navy and as a short range defence missile like TOR for the Army... in the vertical launcher it will likely use side thruster rockets to roll on to target like TOR... and may use side thruster rockets in the terminal phase of the attack to ensure a hit.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 am

Datasheet in Russian

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 MAKS2013part4-01
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 am

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Vityaz

This picture makes it look like the Vityaz could carry up to 48 9M100 missiles! Assuming it can hold 4 per "cell" and there are 12 cells... I need confirmation that this is true, that is where you guys come in. If this is true, the Vityaz could hold something like 16 9M100s and 8 of the larger 9M96 missiles.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:00 am

Mike E wrote:This picture makes it look like the Vityaz could carry up to 48 9M100 missiles! Assuming it can hold 4 per "cell" and there are 12 cells... I need confirmation that this is true, that is where you guys come in. If this is true, the Vityaz could hold something like 16 9M100s and 8 of the larger 9M96 missiles.

The TEL for the variant of Vityaz' that was publicly displayed can technically carry 12 missiles of the 9M96 family, 48 missiles of the 9M100 family, a combination of these, or ...

What they would tactically do is a different matter.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:31 am

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Mike E wrote:This picture makes it look like the Vityaz could carry up to 48 9M100 missiles! Assuming it can hold 4 per "cell" and there are 12 cells... I need confirmation that this is true, that is where you guys come in. If this is true, the Vityaz could hold something like 16 9M100s and 8 of the larger 9M96 missiles.

The TEL for the variant of Vityaz' that was publicly displayed can technically carry 12 missiles of the 9M96 family, 48 missiles of the 9M100 family, a combination of these, or ...

Thanks!!! I wonder if the Vityaz batteries will even need Pantsirs to defend them (Noticed how I said need versus have.). I guess it depends on the amount of 9M100s held...

- I hate to ask for something, but.... Do you have any good sources on the 9M100 missile? I can't find much on it...
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 am

Mike E wrote:

Thanks!!! I wonder if the Vityaz batteries will even need Pantsirs to defend them (Noticed how I said need versus have.). I guess it depends on the amount of 9M100s held...

I agree with you. Actually the 9M96 alone is capable of fully defending the battery. The role of Pantsir' in PVO is not to defend the PVO assets (that, of course, is a secondary/tertiary role); Pantsir's primary role is to provide three more tiers of defense, with its longer-ranged family of missiles, with its shorter-ranged family of missiles, and with its guns. What Pantsir' is really offering is resource/cost optimization.

Mike E wrote:I hate to ask for something, but.... Do you have any good sources on the 9M100 missile? I can't find much on it...

Other than some pictures of the 9M100 that I have posted on this thread or maybe elsewhere on this forum (all 6 pictures that I have), I really haven't seen much more on the topic.

I have read (in a magazine, maybe Jane's or Airforces Monthly) that it's 125 mm in diameter. The length is around 3 meters. I am sure there would be infinite (approximately) different models of it.

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 am

Mike E wrote:

I agree with you. Actually the 9M96 alone is capable of fully defending the battery. The role of Pantsir' in PVO is not to defend the PVO assets (that, of course, is a secondary/tertiary role); Pantsir's primary role is two provide three more tiers of defense, with its longer-ranged missile, with its shorter-ranged missile, and with its guns.

Mike E wrote:I hate to ask for something, but.... Do you have any good sources on the 9M100 missile? I can't find much on it...

Other than some pictures of the 9M100 that I have posted on this thread or maybe elsewhere on this forum (all 6 pictures that I have), I really haven't seen much more on the topic.

I have read (in a magazine, maybe Jane's or Airforces Monthly) that it's 125 mm in diameter. The length is around 3 meters. I am sure there would be infinite (approximately) different models of it.

- I also agree, but (at least to myself) having the 9M100 (even just a couple) is valuable if the threat is within 5 or so kilometers. (Like having the Pantsir in the first place, as you said, it is nice having yet another tier of defense. Also, I would think that the 9M100 is cheaper than the 9M96 family of missiles.) Having the 9M96 + Pantsir and its weapons + 9M100 = "no-fly zone".

- Thank you for answering that question! The 9M100 seems like a rather 'secretive" missile, and I expect that magazines would have the most info.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:19 pm

Air defense missile system S-350 "Vityaz" mass production will begin in 2015
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:07 am

Nice thumbsup

Anti-aircraft missile system "Hero" entered service in 2016
    Austin

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Empty S-350 "Vityaz" to replace S-300 by 2016 (video)

Post  Austin Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:52 pm

S-350 "Vityaz" to replace S-300 by 2016 (video)
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:09 pm

New Generation Self-Homing Missile Will Bolster Russian Air Defense

Russia’s air defenders will soon be using super-maneuverable missile systems equipped with new generation munitions, a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.

“In addition to the S-400 systems, our air defense forces will start receiving the S-350 Vityaz missiles, which are more maneuverable and boast self-homing warheads of a new generation,” Colonel Igor Klimov told RIA Novosti news agency.

The Vityaz-350 systems are scheduled to enter service in 2016.

The S-350E Vityaz (Knight) is a short-to-mid range air defense missile system intended to provide point defense against aircraft and precision attacks.

It was developed by Almaz-Antey Company as a replacement for the ageing S-300PS, which was developed back in the early 1980s.

The 9M96E naval version guided missile under development will be called Redut.

Russia’s airspace is currently protected by S-400 Triumf and S-300 Favorit missiles, and Pantsir-S short to medium range surface-to-air missile and anti-aircraft artillery system.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150708/1024352201.html#ixzz3fJReZYSg
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm

- Thank you for answering that question! The 9M100 seems like a rather 'secretive" missile, and I expect that magazines would have the most info.

AFAIK the 9M100 will be a unified short range fire and forget missile with IIR seeker with lock on after launch capability. It will be used by the airforce as a short range IIR missile that can be launched from weapon bays, while for the army it can be vertically launched and then directed to the target and lock on after launch. In the Navy it will be a CIWS missile, again its lock on after launch capability would make it very useful.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Empty C-350 "Vityaz"

Post  sepheronx Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Perimeter: the C-350 "Vityaz" will reflect any massive blow in the attack from the air
    S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Iptzrxd
    Russian anti-aircraft missile system (SAM), S-350, "Knight" was predictable upgrade in the domestic medium-range air defense system. The new complex in the army waited, as a precursor, S-300, who took on combat duty in 1994. Although "trehsotka" still fully meets the needs of the military establishment in the protection of air borders, replacing it is already needed.

The Americans immediately recorded a new complex in the black list of so-called asymmetric response of Russia and regarded him as a new threat to US national security. Well, here is the sequence how you want to re-Russian army, but the fact is indisputable: "The Knight" is able to become a full member of the Russian defenses. As the saying goes, past him, even the mouse does not slip.

"Anti-aircraft missile system of medium-range S-350" Hero "will begin to come into service videoconferencing in the current year, - said the deputy chairman of the board of the Military-Industrial Commission under the Russian President Oleg Bochkarev. - Complex turned out just gorgeous, with stunning features. It took some time for its completion, but the end result is frankly pleased. I hope that "Hero" will appreciate and the troops. "

And there's really evaluate. Let's start with that one launcher complex "Vityaz" is able to place 12 missile to 4 C-300 - rate with so many "barrels" will triple. SAM also features a number of advanced targeted channels, which allows to fire more targets simultaneously. The complex is a self-propelled launcher that works in conjunction with vserakursnym fixed radar with electronic scanning of space and the command post on the chassis.

S-350 "Hero" is intended for the defense of administrative, industrial and military facilities from the massive strikes of modern and advanced means of air attack. It is capable of hitting at the same time reflect the different means of air attack round at all altitudes of their flight - from very small to large. C-350 can operate autonomously and as a part of air defense groups under the control of the higher command posts. Combat system operation is conducted fully automatically - the combat calculation provides only a preparation for work and monitors the progress of hostilities.

Among other performance characteristics may be noted that the maximum number of simultaneously engaged targets of 16 and 12 ballistic aerodynamic air of defeat objects that get off at a distance of 60 kilometers and the ceiling of 30 kilometers. Any low-flying goal of "clinging" complex almost to the ground, ten meters from the surface, which can effectively shoot down cruise missiles and helicopters. The maximum number of simultaneously induced missiles is 32 pieces, allowing a complex to knock down all the enemy flying objects in the air in a radius of more than a hundred kilometers.

S-350 "Vityaz" is composed of three mobile units on a wheeled chassis - command and control points, two multi-radar and eight self-propelled launchers. Time to deploy for combat use of the march is just five minutes: as they say, to go into battle.

In the complex there are two types of missiles - short and medium range. First, 9M100, equipped with infrared homing head, and not just destroy air targets, but also undermines their warhead. Second, 9M96, equipped with "intelligent" warhead provides defeat both current and future air threats in a wide range of their operational use - by cruise missiles and fighter aircraft to ballistic missiles and strategic bombers.

"Homing head mounted on the missiles, provides a direct hit on the object of attack or convergence in range of the warhead, - says the chairman of the military-technical commission" Almaz-Antei "Alexander bitter. - Equipped homing missiles able to "see" the target and lit carrier alone leads to it. Human intervention - the operator of the command post, there is no longer required. The rocket itself will achieve the goal and fulfill its mission. "

In addition to these features, the S-350 "Vityaz" in contrast to the basic model of the S-300 is a complex medium-range exclusively created for the replacement of two weapons systems facing armed VCS, namely S-300PM and "Buk-M1-2 ". This circumstance is due to the fact that the S-300, and the "Book" is not only morally obsolete, and perform almost similar functions. The difference was only in the fact that the latest (and C-300B) is primarily a means of army air defense, and the S-300PM formed the backbone of the air defense forces, now included videoconferencing.

Let the sound unpatriotic, but the emergence of the Russian army S-350 "Knight" was in part due to South Korea. Fifteen years ago, is experiencing some financial difficulties, "Almaz-Antey" almost turned development to create a new national air defense systems, but managed to win an international tender, beating the French and the Americans. Funding for development work performed by the customer - South Korea, making it possible not to close the project. Korean program will not only continue to work on the creation of the complex, but also to gain invaluable access to the latest technology, as South Korea did not limit workers Russian CB access to imported elemental base.

However, and Russian defense industry, and the current leadership of the Ministry of Defense made conclusions for the future from this situation, realizing that the supply of defensive strength to be increased constantly. It is now possible to create new weapons, including air defense systems, significantly increased. And next year, the C-350 will begin to massively enter the army to replace the C-300. It is expected that up to 2020 the Russian Army will be 30 complexes "Hero" and "Almaz-Antey" is already preparing a new and promising developments.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

The latest anti-aircraft missile system of medium-range S-350 "Vityaz" will be released on state tests after the tests of its missiles are completed.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20151223/1347248810.html&usg=ALkJrhhMJYgLaozNlRIwTjmVk8-391px-w
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Creating a prototype anti-aircraft missile system S-350 will be completed soon
    hoom

Post  hoom Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:05 am

Maybe something is lost in translation but I thought they had prototypes & testing years ago already?
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Testing of Russian air defense system Vityaz to be completed by 2017

Radar and control systems have been tested in full

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 1167040

MOSCOW, April 24. /TASS/. Government certification tests of the air defense system S-350 Vityaz will be completed by the end of 2017, the general designer of the Almaz-

Antey air and space defense concern, Pavel Sozinov, said on Monday.

"Government certification tests will be through this year. Preliminary firing tests are in progress," he said in an interview to National Defense magazine.

Radar and control systems have been tested in full with no fundamental objections made.

"Over the available period of time the required statistics of combat launches and of interception of real targets in various maneuvering conditions are to be gathered," Sozinov said.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/942842
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:03 am

So we thought the naval Redut system had something fundamentally wrong with it because we believed the land based equivalent S-350 was ready.

Pretty clear it is all pretty new on land and sea...
    hoom

Post  hoom Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:06 am

Yes it seems the 'prototypes' that had been around for ages were just mock-ups.
    What I don't get is S-350 was supposed to be heavily based on the previously completed K-sam so should have been fairly quick to get into service.
    Possibly was heavily based on foreign electronics/components that needed to be import substituted?

Weird that they announced 'prototype soon' and now 'tested' but seem to have skipped announcing the prototype actually being completed Suspect
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:53 pm

So according to this report we are finally going to see a S-350 unit... in Syria

http://in24.org/world/28662
    dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Source: Vityaz missile system self-destructed during tests at Kapustin Yar

No casualties were reported

TASS, December 11th. One of the S-350 Vityaz anti-aircraft missile system (SAM) missiles self-destructed during test firing at the Kapustin Yar proving ground (Astrakhan Region). This was reported TASS source in the military-industrial complex.

“On December 7, at the Kapustin Yar test site, test shots of the Vityaz S-350 air defense system took place. One of the complex’s missiles was self-destroyed in the air as a result of an emergency situation,
    ” the agency’s source said.

According to another Tass source in the defense industry, the complex is currently undergoing factory testing.

The unsuccessful launch of the air defense system did not cause damage on the ground, there were no injuries or damage. This was reported TASS source in the emergency services of the region.

"The rocket fell on the landfill, it did not fly away. Nobody was hurt, there was no damage on the ground. The fire, which occurred after the fall, was quickly eliminated," the source said.

https://tass.ru/proisshestviya/5899766

Good no One is injured.
    Good This system isnt dead.
    Hope they fix it...i want ser the thing! Cool
    hoom

Post  hoom Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 am

It lives!
    S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 8 Itlives
    But uh, 9M96 are supposed to be in service already, not a great sign to have one emergency abort in testing pale

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:19 am