Russian engineers were able to solve a problem that for many years was considered impracticable: to create and successfully test a means of destroying torpedoes. Able to bypass the traps and pursue even a maneuvering target, they remain the main danger for ships, and until today, reliable protection against this type of weapon did not exist. However, in Russia, they were able to bring to production the anti-torpedo complex “Paket-E/NK”, which makes ships almost invulnerable. Konstantin Drobot, Chief Designer of the State Research and Production Enterprise “Region” (part of the Tactical Missile Armament Corporation), told Izvestia about the unique features of this system and its combat capabilities.
- For many decades, developments in the field of naval weapons, and especially torpedoes, have been conducted in all countries in the mode of maximum closeness ...
“It’s not just that sailors and weapons developers in all countries call underwater opposition a secret war. Sometimes knowledge of the slightest nuances about the characteristics of a weapon or the tactics of an opponent’s actions can give a decisive advantage. The consequences of this are the loss of life, the loss of expensive ships, the neglect of many years of industry efforts.
- What is special about your development? What distinguishes it from foreign analogues?
- The first purpose of our complex is the direct destruction of the submarines attacking the ship. And the second purpose is to protect the ship from torpedo attacks. Actually, the complex project is not accidental. Until now, the development of individual components - hydroacoustic stations, launchers, control systems and weapons. Then all these subsystems came down on the ship, and complex debugging began. During the modifications had to eliminate a lot of inconsistencies. Here, the fleet command came from the other side: it designated the required parameters of the anti-submarine and anti-torpedo armament complex and demanded that the developers be fully responsible for efficiency.
The main innovation was the automated solution of tasks of anti-torpedo protection. The system independently detects an attacking torpedo, makes calculations, gives target designation and makes a launch. From the commander is required only permission to use weapons.
Abroad for a long time and wrote a lot about the development of counter-torpedoes. This is done by the United States, and Germany, and France, and Italy. But, judging by what we know about the practical results of these developments, our products today have no analogues.
- What subsystems are included in the Paket-E/NK?
- This is a specialized hydro-acoustic target indication station for detecting torpedoes attacking the ship, launchers and weapons directly. They are two types - small torpedo and anti-torpedo. Starting containers for them are identical, visually they can not even be distinguished.
When a threat appears in the form of a submarine or an attacking torpedo, the system detects it, receives target designation, and calculates data. After that, a torpedo or anti-torpedo is launched. They operate autonomously on the principle of “shot - forget”. The complex became, in fact, a universal weapon: they found a torpedo, destroyed it, started to search for a boat, found it, destroyed it.
- How dangerous is the modern torpedo?
- Today, torpedoes have a range of up to 50 km and carry a large supply of explosive - up to 500 kg in TNT equivalent. Undermining such a powerful device under the bottom of the ship leads to its destruction. And now we are in a situation where the possibilities of torpedoes exceed the potential of countermeasures.
At the present stage of development of science and technology, there are only two ways to protect against a torpedo: deceive it with traps or destroy it with the help of an anti-torpedo. Modern torpedoes have already learned to bypass both traps and interferences. A reliable anti-torpedo until today, no one had.
- What is the advantage created by your small torpedoes?
- The placement of a large torpedo, which was previously staked, requires the use of a large displacement ship. Our product has a caliber of 324 mm and a length of only 3m. Accordingly, the ammunition on board the ship can be significantly larger.
Historically, we have long been in the role of catch-up. And for small-caliber torpedoes, we were down to a certain stage to foreign developers. But now a sample has been created, which not only caught up with the best foreign analogues, but even surpasses them in some characteristics.
Today, competition has shifted to another plane. Previously, we tried to achieve the same characteristics as the best foreign products. Now that we have succeeded, the competition goes to the region