Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+69
Cowboy's daughter
Boshoed
Cyberspec
sepheronx
Big_Gazza
ult
Bolt
KiloGolf
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
coolieno99
OminousSpudd
Hannibal Barca
ExBeobachter1987
Neutrality
sheytanelkebir
auslander
Fred333
Karl Haushofer
franco
flamming_python
GarryB
crod
cracker
BKP
Heartbeer
SturmGuard
wilhelm
Vann7
d_taddei2
PapaDragon
Regular
zenmonk
Morpheus Eberhardt
Airbornewolf
Zivo
zorobabel
Rodinazombie
Erk
Austin
Bidoul
Svyatoslavich
Cyrus the great
kvs
Dima
JohninMK
Kimppis
Solncepek
Monarchist
Siempre_Leal
cheesfactory
Werewolf
Godric
medo
par far
sweartome123
TheArmenian
zg18
whir
NationalRus
HeNeArKrXeRn_
ultron
magnumcromagnon
Stealthflanker
victor1985
iraqidabab
KoTeMoRe
macedonian
Walther von Oldenburg
George1
73 posters

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4

par far

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4

Post  par far Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:52 pm

INTERNATIONAL MILITARY REWIEV – SYRIA-IRAQ BATTLESPACE, NOV. 6, 2015

http://southfront.org/international-military-rewiev-syria-iraq-battlespace-nov-06-2015/

A good read on Syria.

SOUTHFRONT OFFERING EXCLUSIVE DIGITAL BOOK ‘SYRIAN WAR DIARY’

http://southfront.org/southfront-offering-exclusive-digital-book-syrian-war-diary/

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Was there ever any doubt?

After dust settles and all is said and done Latakia will pretty much be Western Vladivostok or Mediterranean Sevastopol, take for pick of the name... russia

After the dust settles, in about 20 years, California will again be called Kalifarovka.

Just a bit of physics for anybody who is interested—this post being voted down is a direct manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 pm

Good analysis at Fortrus on the progress of the RuAF campaign to date.

Despite the fact that Russia's military operations in Syria began only 1 month ago, regular combat reports from the Russian Ministry of Defence have already become a part of everyday life. Amidst the domestic public storm of emotions, accompanied by thousands of propaganda pieces on Assad's political opponents, victorious or apocalyptic predictions about the prospects of a military operation, we can now begin to sum up the interim results of the onset of the Syrian government forces with the support of the Russian aviation.

http://fortruss.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/current-results-of-russian-military.html

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Rodinazombie wrote:

Be afraid russia, very afraid. Apparently this clan of international inbreds are going to turn syria into a graveyard for russians. I guess they are taking advice from their brothers in chechnya on how to do this just like they did in chechnya. Oh wait, they are all dead. Killed by russians, oops.

I hope someone is looking at this video and getting an ID of those people from russia and CIS countries. If they make it back home i hope someone will be waiting for them, and i dont mean their family.

The USSR was not defeated in Afghanistan. It chose to lose thanks to Gorby the comprador. If the USSR had gone all out it would have mopped
    the place clean even with the regular injection of terrorists from Pakistan. After a while there would be too few jihadis left to matter. Even if
    there are hundreds of millions of Muslims that does not mean there are hundreds of millions of jihadis. There isn't even one million of them.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:41 am

JohninMK wrote:Good analysis at Fortrus on the progress of the RuAF campaign to date.

http://fortruss.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/current-results-of-russian-military.html

Good read thumbsup

---

Couple of interesting pics, possibly indicating more focus on CAS

Su-24M with Multi-bombs rack (MBD3-U6-68). Can carry 6 ordinances
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 CTI801UWIAALIZs

Su-25 with S-8 rockets
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 CTIyMdBUcAIVZqw

https://twitter.com/green_lemonnn/status/662647288037310464
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:38 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:

Pics of the bridge after the bombing

Looks like it might need another 'visit'.

I don't think VKS boys will mind another go. Twisted Evil russia

I don't think they wanted to completely destroy the bridge. In fact, it seems like they want to start bottlenecking. Instead of completely destroying it and forcing the death squads to find other routes, there likely trying to provoke them in to taking the path of least resistance, making them slower (with a partially destroyed bridge) and more predictable.

i think also to add to that is eventually the SAA will want to use the bridge and if you completely level large sections of the bridge it will become a nightmare to fix, and more costly. the way it is just now seems that once it is safe to do so i.e clear from ISIS danger then it could still be used in single file traffic.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:05 pm

Writeup on the strategic impact of the RuAF

In this respect, the Metrojet catastrophe (if confirmed as perpetrated by the Islamic State) is sending a very strong signal of the realities of military operations and military alliances in the Middle East. The Russian airstrikes are actually presenting a clear and present danger to the aspirations of the Islamic State and having a real and measured effect on their operations, thus, Islamic State scrambled to seek revenge in a very dramatic and visible way. The ‘Coalition’ forces are in a ‘scratch my back, I scratch yours’ relationship, where ‘Coalition’ strikes serve only a cosmetic, public relations purpose without actually impeding or infringing on any Islamic State priorities, in a policy that requires loud banging of drums in the domestic press to convince constituents that Islamic State is ‘being taken care of’, but a pragmatic policy of ‘looking the other way’ while Islamic State takes care of Bashar al Assad, then Hezbollah, then takes Baghdad, then begins to fight Iran – leaping over all of the major American, Turkish, and Gulf State geopolitical hurdles in the Middle East – before somehow finally coming to their senses and riling their populations with war fever to convince them to rise up with massive troop and hardware deployments and explosions in military budgets to tackle the Great Evil 2.0.

There is no clearer signal of the stomach churning level of cynicism combined with utterly hypocritical opportunism of the ‘Coalition’ forces than the Islamic State attack on Metrojet Flight 9268 (if confirmed – for the last time, I promise).

http://thesaker.is/islamic-state-indirectly-admits-russian-airstrikes-far-more-effective-than-coalition-airstrikes/
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Can we STOP.. the stupid allegations and other BS's... regarding metrojet and actually WAIT for the result of investigation from Russian Authorities ?

Seriously. The media now are just shitting conspiracy and BS's...that just mudding the water and did nothing but increase their views.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 pm

I was browsing dvach (basically Russian 4chan), yes yes I know. It's a terrible and marginal place but I found this particular thing to be interesting:

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 OyRWT8e

This is basically BS territory for now. But this is definitely something Vladimir Vladimirovich would say if it was indeed an act of terror (except that last part).

Translation: "Yesterday my brother called me. He told me that they were shown a recording of Putin's speech which will be aired tomorrow at 21:00 Moscow Time. In it Putin will declare war on terror in the spirit of the American reaction on the tragedy of 9/11. "We're being challenged and we will win the war... Our war on terror starts with ISIS but it won't end there." But the most important of all, this is an ultimatum. In the span of 48 hours the organizers of the attack should be made public and handed over. My brother serves at Engel's air base. Told me that 4 TU-140s were fitted with free-fall bombs. If the demands are not met, they will be dropping 35 ton bombs on the cities that are under ISIS control."

I know how ridiculous and crazy this sounds. Especially that last part (lol).
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Stealthflanker wrote:Can we STOP.. the stupid allegations and other BS's... regarding metrojet and actually WAIT for the result of investigation from Russian Authorities ?

Seriously.  The media now are just shitting conspiracy and BS's...that just mudding the water and did nothing but increase their views.

That is truly drastic approach you are suggesting my friend... Very Happy lol1
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:41 pm

ISIS weather services reports present...

Another American Rebel moderate terrorist complaining about
    Russia airstrikes.. Cool

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c11_1446899553

And in more news.. this one really disturbing..

http://russia-insider.com/en/military/russia-begins-evacuation-80000-its-citizens-egypt/ri11022

Watch the video of the interview with Russian people. What the F@#$K is wrong with Russian
    people????? Some of them say they still want to go vacations and will travel to Turkey
    instead and not got to Russia yet.. Do they really think is business as usual? Do anyone in Russia understand Turkey is the main sponsor of Terrorism and Russians are not safe traveling there? What the f#$%k is wrong with Russian society ,to they have no time to watch the news there? or see whats is happening in the world ? Do Russians knows there is a war in Syria and their country bombing terrorist there? Do any Russians understand there could be retaliaiton against them ,by Americans goverment for Russia gov opposing their wars? Do any Russian noticed their government military and politicians,avoid Turkey Airspace? and prefer to travel a longer route over IRAN ,then IRAQ ,then Syria..that to travel over Turkey? Are Russians really so dumb? or this is just a few who are truly disconnected from the world and still not yet aware their nation is in an undeclared war and TUrkey is one of the main hostile nations against Russia?  How can any Russian go to a nation that is leaders is a monster and provide weapons to ISIS to murder Millions?  To travel to Turkey , it will be as safe as to travel to Saudi Arabia.. i never understood why so much Ignorance in Russian society that do not understand the very extreme high risk that is traveling to Countries that are very hostile to Russia and in a proxy war against Russians. Turkey announced will start bombing " ISIS soon" and Americans will love to get Turkey and Russia into a direct war..so they don't need to fight ,what will happen with Russians
    tourist if a major war start overnight with Turkey?  It will be even safer Ukraine to go for tourism. cheaper and in kiev they will not mess with Russian tourist and best of all Europe can control Kiev ,but TUrkey only americans do that.. and everyone knows americans are at war already with Russia ,is a soft war but still is war.. is hostile and could become a full scale in any
    time.

If i was Russias, i will avoid like hell traveling anywhere outside Russia unless is really necessary .. and avoid to travel to any hostile nation to Russia is not like the Russian Government and Putin have not warned that already..

Moscow issues travel warning over U.S. 'hunt' for Russians

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/22/us-russia-usa-warning-idUSKBN0O72BW20150522

Someone explain Russians there is a proxy war against Russia already happening in middle east.. and American government generals and politicians calling for the killing of Russians and shot down of their planes. If no Russians takes this seriously as a threat to them..
    then im sorry for them.. later to come with tears of any "bad luck" tourist experience. The Americans and its Gulf Allies are already in an undeclared war against Russia and Generals openly speaking about killing Russians as many as possible. and warning of terrorism against Russians soon.. so Russian society needs to be aware of that when traveling to Hostile nations.
    or traveling to any place where their plane can travel close to hostile one. and no travel to muslins nations either. It will be like going to vacations to chechenia ,after chechen terrorist warn of terror attacks there. Human Idiocy can be at times ridiculous. Traveling to Turkey is inviting for being taken hostage or as a target by western agencies or Turkey agencies as a target in retaliation to Russia bombing their Alqaeda and ISIS buddies in Syria. Even traveling to friendly NATO countries should be a risk if those countries are really puppets of US. COuld be arrested and extradited to US under any fabricated charges.  IS not the time for traveling to
    Hostile nations to Russia ,or to friendly ones like Egypt but that the plane needs to fly near hostile ones like Saudi Arabia. it will be like flying over Ukraine today..and being a Russian plane. who in their right mind will do that?   And Russians living In America better move to another nation because if a major war start between US and RUssia.. Russians in US cities will be sent to detection centers/labor camps for security reasons..  This happened to all Japanese
    Tourist in America that were arrested just for being Japanese ,when Japan bombed pearl harbor.  IF any war start between US and Russia.. even if limited.. A war provoked by Americans.. The Russians living in US cities will be a target ,their properties taken and all sent to detection centers until the conflict ends. This is if they are lucky. because retaliation against Russians could happen too by Americans citizens if Russia for example sink a US warship and americans die.  Not a good time to be a tourist for Russians (unless is local tourism) or to travel to hostile nations to their motherland.

All this is really disturbing f. is like watching kids playing with a grenade that do not exploded and their parents laughing and not stopping them.

meanwhile another Russian killed.. opps..

http://russia-insider.com/en/society/former-putin-aide-and-media-tycoon-found-dead-washington-hotel/ri11017

When will Russians learn? all this deaths on a row cannot be coincidence. This is a
    declaration of war against Russia from soft to warm ,that is and undeclared war.
    and Russians will do good to avoid any nation being in any nation who is not very
    friendly to Russia until the politics environment change and US and its allies end their proxy war..

Last edited by Vann7 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 am; edited 7 times in total
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:01 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    That is truly drastic approach you are suggesting my friend... Very Happy lol1

Well today's media got some serious lack of empathy. It would be best for us not to help them spreading bullshit conspiracy theory.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:54 am

Neutrality wrote:I was browsing dvach (basically Russian 4chan), yes yes I know. It's a terrible and marginal place but I found this particular thing to be interesting:

This is basically BS territory for now. But this is definitely something Vladimir Vladimirovich would say if it was indeed an act of terror (except that last part).

Translation: "Yesterday my brother called me. He told me that they were shown a recording of Putin's speech which will be aired tomorrow at 21:00 Moscow Time. In it Putin will declare war on terror in the spirit of the American reaction on the tragedy of 9/11. "We're being challenged and we will win the war... Our war on terror starts with ISIS but it won't end there." But the most important of all, this is an ultimatum. In the span of 48 hours the organizers of the attack should be made public and handed over. My brother serves at Engel's air base. Told me that 4 TU-140s were fitted with free-fall bombs. If the demands are not met, they will be dropping 35 ton bombs on the cities that are under ISIS control."

The evacuation of almost 80 000 Russians from Egypt is a fairly drastic step, but whether Putin declares a full blown American style "war on terror" I'm not sure....personally I'm a little sceptical, but we'll see.....they haven't yet officially declared it a terrorist act.

As for the 4 x bombers, they're probably reffering to the 4 x Tu-22M3's in Mozdok airbase that are apparently designated for action in Syria but haven't been used yet (mentioned here a few pages back)
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:20 am

Russia is not going to use the hypothetical bombing of this civilian airliner as a pretext for some imperial adventure.
    It will keep degrading the ISIS dogs in Syria in the coming months systematically. That will be justice enough.
    I hope the ISIS death toll exceeds 100 for every victim on the flight.
    Solncepek
    Solncepek

Post  Solncepek Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:53 am

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #4 - Page 14 29%20%2814%29

Rebels, where are you ?
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 am

kvs wrote:Russia is not going to use the hypothetical bombing of this civilian airliner as a pretext for some imperial adventure.
    It will keep degrading the ISIS dogs in Syria in the coming months systematically.   That will be justice enough.  

We will wait and see. Step back up in air campaign could be realistic. Limited opportunistic operations too.
    Fact is that Russia won't backdown a bit, but they can take their gloves off at any moment.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:09 pm

Cyberspec wrote:
    Neutrality wrote:I was browsing dvach (basically Russian 4chan), yes yes I know. It's a terrible and marginal place but I found this particular thing to be interesting:

The evacuation of almost 80 000 Russians from Egypt is a fairly drastic step, but whether Putin declares a full blown American style "war on terror" I'm not sure....personally I'm a little sceptical, but we'll see.....they haven't yet officially declared it a terrorist act.

As for the 4 x bombers, they're probably reffering to the 4 x Tu-22M3's in Mozdok airbase that are apparently designated for action in Syria but haven't been used yet (mentioned here a few pages back)

That is frankly speaking stupid. You can not and never will win an open war. The time you announce a war you declare war against not just terrorists but also against anyone that sees invaders in your cultural sphere a war against you and your brothers. That will create mass of people more likely to be found for recruting among those mercenary groups. That will create more influx to terror cells than you can vaporize without targeting civilians, as soon as you kill civilians (intended or unintended) you will create people that want to take revenge against your soldiers, meaning you again create influx of manpower. Since Russia is hated by the west and with declaration of war on anything you will only announce that they have more reason to relocate money to this very terrorist groups (Freedom fighters) or whatever the west will say.

Today western regimes are under bad light for supporting terrorists which is undeniable both direct and indirect support with the goal to kill Assad and Russia, as soon there is declaration of war it becomes open war and with that reason for many to join or support them.

The only possible way to destroy terrorists is an shadowy war, with soft power (money) and destruction and undermining of wahabity and their training camps, methods and preaching. With a shadow war on terror, there will be many that can doubt if it even exists therefore not likely to join, no invader means no direct front, so recrution will be narrowed down to a very few locations, the territory those terrorists will achieve will be minor, a good way to direct the enemy in small places to wipe them out.

Open wars against asymmetrical forces has never come out good for conventional forces.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Not sure where to put this, but as it is claimed to be a weapon supplied to the SAA, I'll put it here

Military experts from Popular Mechanics, a US magazine of popular technology, are quite impressed with the capabilities of the Russian portable flamethrower system with a cute nickname Bumblebee, which nevertheless is capable of completely devastating enemy forces not only in the open but in bunkers, trenches, and even armored vehicles. Russian rocket-propelled flame thrower, the Bumblebee, was originally developed due to the need for more effective fire power against an enemy entrenched in fortified positions, houses, caves and other solid cover.

It is a single-shot rocket launcher along the lines of the American LAW or AT4, the magazine says. Once used, the launcher is thrown away.

Classified as a flamethrower by the Russian military, the Bumblebee is actually a thermobaric weapon. It launches a warhead which uses a combination of an explosive charge and highly combustible fuel. When the rocket reaches the target, the fuel is dispersed in a cloud that is then detonated by the explosive charge. Popular Mechanics military experts note that the resulting explosion is devastating, radiating a shockwave and fireball up to six or seven meters in diameter. A thermobaric explosion is a capable weapon when used against troops in the open but is especially useful against troops in bunkers, trenches, and even armored vehicles, as the dispersing gas can enter small spaces and allow the fireball to expand inside. Thermobarics are particularly devastating to buildings — a thermobaric round entering a structure can literally blow up the building from within with overpressure.

The weapon attracted the attention of Popular Mechanics experts after one of the Russian bloggers claimed that it was spotted in Syria, being carried by a Syrian Army soldier. “The Bumblebee's appearance in Syria is no surprise,” the magazine reasons, “its ability to devastate enemy forces in urban environments makes it an appealing weapon for urban warfare. Although heavy at 26 pounds, it has a simple sighting system that is easy to train soldiers to use and has a maximum range of 800 yards”.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151108/1029765936/russia-bumblebee-flamethrower-weapon.html#ixzz3quGSBW4j
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Regular wrote:
    kvs wrote:Russia is not going to use the hypothetical bombing of this civilian airliner as a pretext for some imperial adventure.
    It will keep degrading the ISIS dogs in Syria in the coming months systematically.   That will be justice enough.  

We will wait and see. Step back up in air campaign could be realistic. Limited opportunistic operations too.
    Fact is that Russia won't backdown a bit, but they can take their gloves off at any moment.

If plane was blown up then it was done because terrorists do not like what Russia is dong to them now.

Solution: Russia should keep doing exactly what it does now.

Simple, cheap, easy, efficient...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Very good analysis.

For Syria same applies as it did for Ukraine: one step at a time and no deviations from the plan. Long haul + little money spent but more time invested = bigger payoff later. thumbsup

How Russia Is Saving Syria

Conduct of military campaign shows that it is carefully weighed to achieve Russia's political objective of a united and secular Syrian state

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/how-russia-pursues-its-objectives-syria/ri11013

The Russian military campaign in Syria has now been underway for several weeks.

This provides a good opportunity for an overview.

There has been no increase in the forces Russia has deployed in Syria since the start of the campaign there.

There have been no further cruise missile strikes on jihadi positions in Syria from the Caspian Sea.

The Russians have publicly ruled out enlarging their force. They have said they will not engage in ground operations. There are no plans to launch strikes with long range TU22 bomber aircraft flying from Russia.

The Russians say the present force is adequate to achieve their objectives.

That provides an important clue as to what those objectives are.

The Russians have also said they have held no discussions with the Iraqis about deploying Russian aircraft in Iraq, or about bombing the Islamic State there.

That shows the objectives the Russians have set themselves concern only Syria.

The Russians have provided detailed reports of the targets they are striking. There is no reason to doubt the truth of these reports.

The reports show the Russians’ primary target is the infrastructure the jihadis have built up to support their war effort: command centres, weapons depots, training centres, and communications facilities as well as oil pipelines, workshops and factories.

The Russians have on occasion destroyed jihadi vehicle convoys (there are reliable reports that a 16 vehicle convoy belonging to the Islamic State was destroyed in this way) and they regularly report the destruction of major items of military hardware belonging to the jihadis such as tanks and artillery. However, these targets appear to be secondary.

There are also a few reports of the Russian airforce providing direct air support to Syrian troops engaged in offensive operations, though the extent to which this is happening appears for the moment to be limited.

What conclusions can we draw from all this?

Firstly, it is clear that the purpose of the deployment is not to defeat the jihadi insurgency in Syria or to destroy the Islamic State through air power.

The strike force in Latakia - which the Russians insist they have no plan to increase - is obviously inadequate for such a task.

That the Russians have ruled out expanding their strike force suggests that they do not think that it is possible to defeat the jihadi rebellion in Syria by air power alone.

This is consistent with Russian military philosophy. The Russians have never bought into the US idea of “victory through air power”. Russia’s operational military doctrine is based on the principle of “combined arms” in which every arm of the military service is used together in a complimentary way to achieve victory.

The pattern of Russian activity in Syria in fact bears out what we said previously about the purpose of the deployment: it was done to prevent the US from declaring a “no-fly zone” over Syria.

If the size of the strike force is obviously inadequate to win the Syrian civil war and destroy the Islamic State, it has proved fully adequate for the purpose of preventing the US from declaring a “no-fly zone”.

We know the US planned to set up a “no-fly zone”. The US has admitted as much.

We know the US was in active discussion with its allies to set up such a “no-fly zone” over the course of the summer.

Deployment of the Russian strike force to Syria has forced the US to abandon the idea.

There have been some worries - exacerbated by excited talk from perennial war hawks like Zbigniew Brzezinski - that the US might attack the Russian strike force in order to humiliate Russia and impose the “no-fly zone” despite Russian opposition.

As we discussed previously, the launch of the Russian cruise missiles from the Caspian Sea - demonstrating that all US bases in the region are within striking range of a potentially devastating Russian counter-strike - has put paid to that idea.

The reason there have been no further Russian cruise missile strikes is not because Russia’s Caspian Flotilla has run out of long range cruise missiles, as some have suggested.

It is because the cruise missile strike achieved its purpose, which was to demonstrate to the US Russia’s ability to launch a counter strike if its strike force in Syria is attacked.

The Russians’ success in forcing the US to drop its plan for a “no-fly zone” has had a dramatic effect on the strategic calculus.

In contemporary parlance “no-fly zone” - whatever its original meaning - is now simply shorthand for “US bombing campaign”.

Had the US declared a “no fly zone” it would have rapidly evolved into an all-out bombing campaign against the Syrian government and military.

That is what happened in Yugoslavia and Iraq in the 1990s and in Libya in 2011, and the same would have happened in Syria.

The “no fly zone” would have been accompanied by the declaration of “safe havens” inside Syria. We know this was the plan, and incredibly there are some people who still demand it (see here and here).

These “safe havens” would have been presented as areas for civilians and refugees to flee to for safety from attack (“barrel-bombing”) by the Syrian army and airforce. Based on what happened in Yugoslavia and Iraq in the 1990s and in Libya in the 2011, they would quickly have become base areas under rebel control.

Before long, to the accompaniment of a furious media campaign, the “safe havens” would have been extended to all and every part of Syria where refugees and civilians were supposedly “in danger” from the Syrian government. It would have been only a question of time before they included the whole of Damascus and Aleppo, and towns like Homs and Hama.

The US airforce, supported by those of Britain, France, Turkey and probably Jordan, would then have gone into action “to protect” “the safe havens” by bombing the Syrian military and - as was the case in Yugoslavia, Iraq and Libya - the civilian infrastructure upon which the Syrian state and military depend.

Many more civilians would of course have died but as was the case in Yugoslavia and Libya that would not have stopped the bombing.

As the bombing campaign escalated, weapons and special forces to “advise” the rebels would have poured in, and it would only have been a matter of time before the Syrian government and military collapsed.

It was to prevent this scenario that the Russians acted. By acting as they did, they stopped it in its tracks.

That the Russian action was first and foremost intended to stop Western military action against Syria - and has been completely successful in that respect - is best illustrated by the effect it has had in Britain.

To the dismay of Britain’s war hawks, the British government has been forced to abandon its plan to bomb Syria. A report by a House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee makes clear it was Russia’s intervention that was the decisive factor (see paragraph 28 of the report here).

The US for its part has been forced - very much against its will - into an accommodation with the Russians.

It has agreed to a technical agreement with the Russians to coordinate the flight of US and Russian aircraft in Syrian airspace. It has even been obliged to undertake joint exercises with the Russians to iron out problems.

The US is deploying F15C fighter aircraft to its base at Incirlik in Turkey and F22 fighter aircraft to its bases in Saudi Arabia, and has stepped up supplies of weapons - including TOW anti tank missiles - to the rebels.

These are not steps preparatory to an attack on the Russian strike force. They are an attempt to redress the balance in the region, which is tilting heavily to the Russians.

With Russia’s SU30 and SU34 aircraft technologically superior to all other aircraft deployed in the region, the US urgently needs to reassure its allies - especially Israel and Turkey - that it can match the very advanced aircraft Russia is deploying in the region.

Similarly the supply of weapons to the rebels is intended to reassure the rebels - and their supporters in Washington - that the US is not abandoning them. The US knows the weapons are insufficient to change the situation on the ground, especially as the Russians are more than capable of matching them.

Once it is clearly understood that the purpose for Russia’s deployment of the strike force was to prevent the US bombing Syria - not to defeat the jihadi insurgency single handedly by airpower alone - everything else about the Russian deployment falls into place.

By preventing a US attack on Syria, the Russians have bought time for diplomacy to work and for the Syrian army to regain its strength.

The diplomacy of recent weeks has been thoroughly discussed by the Saker and by Patrick Armstrong and I will say no more about it other than to repeat what I have said before - that the plan the Russians are pushing is in all essentials the same plan that was agreed in Geneva in 2012 but which was wrecked by the Syrian rebels and their Western backers when they made the resignation of President Assad a precondition for talks.

There is no sign the Syrian rebels or their Western sponsors have backed off from this demand. On the contrary what looks like a deliberate Western misinformation campaign about Russia’s position on the question suggests they have made no shift at all (for a detailed discussion of Russia’s position and the reasons for it see my article from 2012 here).

The inclusion of Iran in the talks is however a breakthrough.

It suggests that whilst the hardliners are still in the ascendant, the realists in Washington led by Secretary of State Kerry understand that US objectives in Syria are no longer achievable.

It seems that they are playing a waiting game - engaging Russia and Iran in talks and keeping negotiations going until the situation on the ground changes to the point where all but the most stubborn of the hardliners in Washington are forced to accept that a diplomatic settlement along the lines agreed in 2012 in Geneva is unavoidable.

What are however the prospects for a change in the situation on the ground?

If the Russian deployment has bought time for diplomacy to take place, it has also bought time for the Syrian army to recover.

Three years of intense fighting has left the Syrian army an exhausted force.

Casualties in men and equipment have been very high. The Syrian army has been forced to withdraw from large areas of the country in order to concentrate on defending what it can.

Though tempered by war, the Syrian army appears to suffer from many of the structural problems that afflict all Arab armies (see here).

The fact that it is said to find it difficult to maintain an advance in the face of small numbers of rebel anti tank missiles (according to some reports just 50 TOW anti tank missiles were sufficient to defeat an advance by the Syrian army in 2014 to relieve Aleppo) suggests its infantry lacks aggression and offensive spirit, and is poorly coordinated with its tank units.

It may also mean that supplies of tanks - or of the technicians and spare parts necessary to keep them going - are running low, so that the few tanks still in running order have to be carefully husbanded. This may explain the reluctance to risk them when there are anti tank missiles present.

It is the condition of the Syrian military that explains the character of the Russian air campaign.

By targeting the rebels’ infrastructure the Russians are disrupting the rebels’ logistics chain. By doing so they are preventing the rebels from sustaining an offensive. That gives the Syrian army the time it needs to recover and rebuild its strength.

Once the Syrian military has been rebuilt - with Russian supplies and technical help and with men, material and training provided by Iran - the damage to the rebels’ infrastructure will make it more difficult for them to withstand the Syrian army’s offensive when it comes.

In the meantime limited operations - all the Syrian army seems presently capable of - are being conducted to relieve pressure points.

Syria’s northern city of Aleppo - once Syria’s largest city and its economic capital - has been under continuous siege since 2012. A few weeks ago it was practically cut off. Russian air support has helped the Syrian army break the siege and reopen roads and supply lines into the city.

Elsewhere, under cover of Russian aircraft, the Syrian army appears to be engaging in limited offensive operations in the direction of Palmyra - a site of immense cultural significance - and near Damascus.

Information on the progress of these offensives is limited and contradictory (see for example here and here) but what evidence there is suggests that for the first time this year the Syrian army is gaining ground overall rather than losing it.

The Russian air campaign is therefore carefully judged and is achieving its objectives.

1. It has prevented the US and its allies carrying out their plan for a bombing campaign that would have resulted in the overthrow of the Syrian government;

2. It has provided time and space for a renewed diplomatic effort paving the way for an eventual political settlement based on Russian ideas. These exclude the setting up of an Islamist jihadi state on Syrian territory. As the Saker correctly says the US appears to have conceded the point;

3. It has provided time and space for the Syrian army to recover, so that it can eventually go on the offensive, creating the conditions for the political settlement the Russians want to impose; and

4. It is weakening the rebels’ infrastructure, preventing them launching an offensive and weakening them in preparation for the Syrian military offensive which is to come.

Of these four objectives the first is the most important since without achieving it the other three would be impossible.

As things stand, the first objective has been achieved. The US bombing campaign has been called off in a major success for Russian policy.

The other three objectives continue to be a work in progress.

The Syrian conflict provides a text-book example of how the Russians conduct foreign policy.

They do not separate the military from the political in the way that Western powers do.

Nor do they allow the military to dictate the whole approach.

Nor do they see war and diplomacy as mutually exclusive, with the one beginning when the other stops.

On the contrary the Russians see war and diplomacy as complimentary instruments the Russian state uses to achieve its objectives, which are invariably set by the country’s political leadership, and which are always framed in strictly political terms focused exclusively - and unashamedly - on Russia’s national interests.

In the Syrian conflict the objective is to preserve the Syrian state as it was before the conflict - independent, united, functional and secular - so that an Islamist jihadi state that might pose a threat to Russia is not established on Syrian territory.

Grandiose ideologically conceived objectives dressed up in moralistic language of “remaking the Middle East” or of spreading “democracy” there form no part of Russia's objectives.

Since such megalomania has no part in what the Russians are up to, they have no need to commit massive forces to achieve vague and over ambitious objectives which are in fact unachievable.

The Russian intervention can therefore be pitched more modestly - at precisely the level needed to achieve the objective the political leadership has set - which is what we are seeing.

Whereas Westerners often quote Clausewitz’s famous dictum - “war is not merely an act of policy but a true political instrument, a continuation of political intercourse carried on with other means. What remains peculiar to war is simply the peculiar nature of its means” - it is the Russians who actually apply it.

As for the Russian aircraft that crashed over Sinai, if it was destroyed by a bomb - as is looking increasingly likely - that will not change Russian policy in the least.

Those who think it will do not understand the Russian approach to foreign policy, and underestimate the clearheaded and single-minded way the Russians pursue their objectives.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Story originating from the French media about Russian mercenaries in Syria;

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1568285.html
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:23 am

the Ban of Russia for the first time on history of Boeing 737
    flights over Russia ,just one day after the crash of the Russian plane
    over Egypt create strong suspicious that is a retaliation of Russia to US for its
    very likely role in the shutdown of the Russian plane over Egypt..
    this is what i thought and a report now ,exactly says the same.

Did Russian regulator attempt to ban Boeing 737 due to possibility of remote destruction?

http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/11/did-russian-regulator-attempt-to-ban.html

Im curious however which other American planes fly over Russia? In any case i was wondering
    why the hell Russia did not banned earlier all American airlines flights over Russia as soon
    as the US Congress signed a memorandum declaring that Russia was an Enemy.

Because for me the idea of American Government doing a preventive strike on Russia
    with nukes is not out of the question . all that it takes for that is a crazy fanatic Rusophobic
    general ,high on drugs being given the comman of a Nuclear Submarine with Trident weapons.
    Also in case of a war.. I was worried about Russia allowing American airliners to freely
    travel of moscow , because they could be loaded Russians citizens and with a major nuclear warhead and used as kamikaze missile against the Kremlin and or Putin offices.  Would American elite be crazy enough to be capable and do such things? Absolutely.. you only need
    to look and what they did in 9/11 WTC.  They murdered 5,000 americans citizens in a false flag inside job attacks to justify invasions to sobereign nations in middle east.

So in times like this that americans almost every day ,declares Russia to be #1 enemy and
    that its secretary of defense goes in public and menace Russian citizens with terrorism and Russian planes shot down as consequences of Russia bombing their Alqaeda/ISIS buddies in Syria.  So in times of so much american Government and military hostility ,it will be wise for Russia to have a real distrust on any plane from the west that travels to Russia.

Because American Government is already in a state of war against Russia.
    a warm proxy war. Not yet Hot..but will go there..

THings Russia needs to be careful..that US and its Allies could do against Russia.

1)Planes used as missiles by US and its Allies against Russia with big nuclear warhead inside..
    2) Russians traveling abroad to NATO countries or middle east where the CIA can freely operate.
    3)Chemical or Biological "Accidents"/attacks in Russia.
    4)Poisoning of water reserves.. to kill Russian citizens.. yes they can do that.
    5)Sabotage of Russia space program , Russia will have to be super careful with
    attacks on their rockets while flying to space.
    6)ISIS fighters in the thousands smuggled in Ukraine with suicide bombers and overrun
    Rebels positions. In Syria they use a lot the tactic of Loading BMP or trucks with lots of tnt and exploding them in check points. So Donetsk Rebels Better Dig big trenches/traps around their zones
    7)Attacks on Russia pipeline to Europe.
    8)and last but not least attacks on Putin presidential plane.. Putin better be very careful in the
    G-20 trip to Turkey.. that they pull another JKF with a "lonely" assasin with a gun. ISIS Terrorist invasion of Kaliningrad from baltic states also possible..
    etc.
    9)attacks on RUssia subway system.. just recently a day ago , read a report of a "mysterious " attack at Russian workers who were inspecting the rails ,that a train will be using ,and one worker was killed others wounded but rapid reaction of police to where the gun fire was ,managed to chase the bandit and kill him. Cool All this mysterious attacks on Russia tourism industry and transportation system, against civilians for no reason ,just terror for the sake of terror have the signature of western intelligence agencies.
    10) Civilian ships ,fishing boats or cruisers .

So Russia better be highly prepared for proxy attacks on Russia by "mysterious" hands.. that will later be blamed on "ISIS". but that in reality will be all coordinated by Russia western
    "partners" that are really mad of losing the control of the middle east to Russia and their Alqaeda and ISIS buddies beaten.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:35 am

Vann7 wrote:the Ban of Russia for the first time on history of Boeing 737
    flights over Russia ,just one day after the crash of the Russian plane
    over Egypt create strong suspicious that is a retaliation of Russia to US for its
    very likely role in the shutdown of the Russian plane over Egypt..
    this is what i thought and a report now ,exactly says the same.

Did Russian regulator attempt to ban Boeing 737 due to possibility of remote destruction?

http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/11/did-russian-regulator-attempt-to-ban.html

Im curious however which other American planes fly over Russia? In any case i was wondering
    why the hell Russia did not banned earlier all American airlines flights over Russia as soon
    as the US Congress signed a memorandum declaring that Russia was an Enemy.

Because for me the idea of American Government doing a preventive strike on Russia
    with nukes is not out of the question . all that it takes for that is a crazy fanatic Rusophobic
    general ,high on drugs being given the comman of a Nuclear Submarine with Trident weapons.
    Also in case of a war.. I was worried about Russia allowing American airliners to freely
    travel of moscow , because they could be loaded Russians citizens and with a major nuclear warhead and used as kamikaze missile against the Kremlin and or Putin offices.  Would American elite be crazy enough to be capable and do such things? Absolutely.. you only need
    to look and what they did in 9/11 WTC.  They murdered 5,000 americans citizens in a false flag inside job attacks to justify invasions to sobereign nations in middle east.

So in times like this that americans almost every day ,declares Russia to be #1 enemy and
    that its secretary of defense goes in public and menace Russian citizens with terrorism and Russian planes shot down as consequences of Russia bombing their Alqaeda/ISIS buddies in Syria.  So in times of so much american Government and military hostility ,it will be wise for Russia to have a real distrust on any plane from the west that travels to Russia.

Because American Government is already in a state of war against Russia.
    a warm proxy war. Not yet Hot..but will go there..

THings Russia needs to be careful..that US and its Allies could do against Russia.

1)Planes used as missiles by US and its Allies against Russia with big nuclear warhead inside..
    2) Russians traveling abroad to NATO countries or middle east where the CIA can freely operate.
    3)Chemical or Biological "Accidents"/attacks in Russia.
    4)Poisoning of water reserves.. to kill Russian citizens.. yes they can do that.
    5)Sabotage of Russia space program , Russia will have to be super careful with
    attacks on their rockets while flying to space.
    6)ISIS fighters in the thousands smuggled in Ukraine with suicide bombers and overrun
    Rebels positions. In Syria they use a lot the tactic of Loading BMP or trucks with lots of tnt and exploding them in check points. So Donetsk Rebels Better Dig big trenches/traps around their zones
    7)Attacks on Russia pipeline to Europe.
    8)and last but not least attacks on Putin presidential plane.. Putin better be very careful in the
    G-20 trip to Turkey.. that they pull another JKF with a "lonely" assasin with a gun. ISIS Terrorist invasion of Kaliningrad from baltic states also possible..
    etc.
    9)attacks on RUssia subway system.. just recently a day ago , read a report of a "mysterious " attack at Russian workers who were inspecting the rails ,that a train will be using ,and one worker was killed others wounded but rapid reaction of police to where the gun fire was ,managed to chase the bandit and kill him. Cool  All this mysterious attacks on Russia tourism industry and transportation system, against civilians for no reason ,just terror for the sake of terror have the signature of western intelligence agencies.  
    10) Civilian ships ,fishing boats or cruisers .

So Russia better be highly prepared for proxy attacks on Russia by "mysterious" hands.. that will later be blamed on "ISIS". but that in reality will be all coordinated by Russia western
    "partners" that are really mad of losing the control of the middle east to Russia and their Alqaeda and ISIS buddies beaten.

Russian radar, satellites and the like would easily be able to tell the difference between a jet liner and a bomber from a very long ways away.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:47 am

sepheronx wrote:Russian radar, satellites and the like would easily be able to tell the difference between a jet liner and a bomber from a very long ways away.

What Vann is saying is that a 737 kamikaze missile and a 737 airliner are indistinguishable.

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bidoul

Post  Bidoul Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 am

Plane in Egypt was an Airbus A321 though.

If conspiracy there is it's just a basic protectionism example to have Russian companies or operating in Russian to go with either Airbus or Tupolevs/Ilyushins, instead of a far fetched self-destructing planes thing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 5:46 am