Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+87
Nibiru
AlfaT8
miroslav
LMFS
littlerabbit
GarryB
dino00
verkhoturye51
The-thing-next-door
T-47
miketheterrible
walle83
Tingsay
Singular_Transform
Peŕrier
GunshipDemocracy
ZoA
Rowdyhorse4
Firebird
SLB
Rodion_Romanovic
George1
Isos
Kimppis
Luq man
PapaDragon
hoom
SeigSoloyvov
franco
Benya
Dennis_3003
VladimirSahin
Rmf
Project Canada
KiloGolf
Mirlo
Ned86
zardof
Honesroc
jaguar_br
max steel
ult
artjomh
wilhelm
marat
Tyloe
type055
Dima
Cyberspec
ExBeobachter1987
PutZin
AbsoluteZero
Werewolf
kvs
chicken
zg18
Stealthflanker
EKS
Flyingdutchman
T055
magnumcromagnon
Vann7
Mike E
partizan
navyfield
calripson
collegeboy16
Morpheus Eberhardt
Vympel
sepheronx
xeno
GJ Flanker
Arrow
medo
flamming_python
KomissarBojanchev
Mindstorm
TheArmenian
TR1
runaway
Andy_Wiz
IronsightSniper
Austin
Robert.V
Admin
Viktor
Russian Patriot
91 posters

Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov

kumbor

Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov - Page 37 Empty Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov

Post  kumbor Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 am

[quote="SeigSoloyvov"]Liders are supposed to be like 17000 tons.

These are cruisers, not DD's. [/quote

Zumwalt is rated as a destroyer. For Lider we still don`t know. Maybe that classification as a destroyer will be only smokescreen to allocate funding! Obviously, both projects look more as cruisers!

Nowadays there is no strict difference between ship types.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov - Page 37 Empty Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov

Post  GunshipDemocracy Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 am

kumbor wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Liders are supposed to be like 17000 tons.

These are cruisers, not DD's.

Zumwalt is rated as a destroyer. For Lider we still don`t know. Maybe that classification as a destroyer will be only smokescreen to allocate funding! Obviously, both projects look more as cruisers!

Nowadays there is no strict difference between ship types.
    [/quote]

yup I agree. Anyway tasks for those ships in similar categories will be similar. however in case of Lider I'd presume: more focus on anti CSG/anti ship operations then Zumwalt.
    littlerabbit
    littlerabbit

Post  littlerabbit Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:25 am

I believe project 22350 is maybe smaller than old Soviet destroyers, but more capable than them, so I don't see necessity for just a little bigger Gorshkov...especially if they are really going to built Lider class. Suspect I've read somewhere that project 22350 was supposed to relieve all destroyers (Sovremenny's and Udaloy's), but they are only building 4 Gorshkovs?! Shocked I know you guys were talking about problems with engines, shipyards, maybe even money...but still, this whole situation with this particular project looks to me totally strange. unshaven
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 am

hoom wrote:I think its more a question of if its worth building Lider when you're building Super Gorshkovs.
    High-Low mix made plenty of sense with small Gorshkov, less so with a fairly big Super Gorshkov.

I am not aware of what weapons and systems the SG (Super Gorshkov) will carry, but I think it is reasonable to suspect a multi-role ship, destroyer sized (more VLS cells, bigger AD/ASW capability)

Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov - Page 37 Frigat10

But the Lider is expected to be:

1) Nuclear-powered, with the huge consequences this has in regards of having a global reach
    2) A very major AD and ABM asset including missiles from S-500 and, if to be judged from models, a very big and developed radar system

Cancelling Liders because of the SGs means as much as saying that anything above the size and capability of an average destroyer is not necessary in the Russian navy
    hoom

Post  hoom Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

2) A very major AD and ABM asset including missiles from S-500
    Yeah I guess Lider with S-4/500 still makes sense if Super Gorshkov mainly just bumps cell count.
    Doubling cell count to 96 of the fully universal UKSK-M & upgrading CIWS to Pantsir-M feels like a good target.
    But 8,000ton might be big enough to give it S-4/500 capability & then Lider makes less sense. (but cell count might be a bit low)
    kumbor

Post  kumbor Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:49 pm

hoom wrote:
    2) A very major AD and ABM asset including missiles from S-500
    Yeah I guess Lider with S-4/500 still makes sense if Super Gorshkov mainly just bumps cell count.
    Doubling cell count to 96 of the fully universal UKSK-M & upgrading CIWS to Pantsir-M feels like a good target.
    But 8,000ton might be big enough to give it S-4/500 capability & then Lider makes less sense. (but cell count might be a bit low)

It all depends on money! Frankly, Kirov class large cruisers were even in USSR presumed too expensive and too big, dubbed "golden toys of admiral Gorshkov".
    hoom

Post  hoom Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Perhaps more depends on whether appropriate radar/missiles can be brought to service in timely manner.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:28 pm

I haven't heard much, but doubt they would stop at 4 ships, especially given Russia's dire need of Frigates, the 5th ship is reportedly called Admiral Yumashev.

As for the Gorshkov engines, reports indicate that the locally built engines for the following ships will be ready by this year.

And the SG, talks are abound, but there might be some actual move to get the SG instead of the Lider, price wise it makes perfect sense, and the tech is already developed, they are probably simply waiting for the first Gorshkov to be commissioned before they move to the next step, afterwards the only thing that really needs to be developed is the naval S-400, which could be done in short order.
    kumbor

Post  kumbor Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:20 am

AlfaT8 wrote:I haven't heard much, but doubt they would stop at 4 ships, especially given Russia's dire need of Frigates, the 5th ship is reportedly called Admiral Yumashev.

As for the Gorshkov engines, reports indicate that the locally built engines for the following ships will be ready by this year.

And the SG, talks are abound, but there might be some actual move to get the SG instead of the Lider, price wise it makes perfect sense, and the tech is already developed, they are probably simply waiting for the first Gorshkov to be commissioned before they move to the next step, afterwards the only thing that really needs to be developed is the naval S-400, which could be done in short order.

Frankly, i fear that in the end it could be none will be built!
    i have studied russian and soviet projects from 1915-17 and 1935-50. What gorgeous ideas, what marvelous ships were on the drawing board! Battleships of 35.000 tons with 12/406 artillery. Battleships of 65.000 tons were started building - project 23, later project 24 of 80.000 tons full displacement.
    But, neither of them were even launched, they were never finished.

Modern russian navy is getting rid of old soviet ships, new vessels are being built, but the rate of building is low. There is serious wavering from side to side, with lack of strategy how major ships should look like. Nevertheless, SS missiles are second to none, as are SA systems. Electronics are taking pace with western achievements and russian made propulsion is progressing.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:17 am

kumbor wrote:
    Frankly, i fear that in the end it could be none will be built!
    i have studied russian and soviet projects from 1915-17 and 1935-50. What gorgeous ideas, what marvelous ships were on the drawing board! Battleships of 35.000 tons with 12/406 artillery. Battleships of 65.000 tons were started building - project 23, later project 24 of 80.000 tons full displacement.
    But, neither of them were even launched, they were never finished.

so according to you a 80,000 battleship with absence of war and any need + battleships being obsolete makes sense?!

[qute] Modern russian navy is getting rid of old soviet ships, new vessels are being built, but the rate of building is low. There is serious wavering from side to side, with lack of strategy how major ships should look like. [/quote]

Not entirely correct IMHO. Shipbuilding is not in parallel universe.

First Russia had to rebuild all industry from almost scratch. This is not only equipment or training people. Ti is also, or foremost, building network of subcontractors, efficient management and removing as many as possible price inflating schema.

On top of this add generation change in army /fleet. Why to you thing Putin sacked so many generals and get many new names to both govt and army staff?

And last but not least money supply & external situation impacts strategy right ? nobody could say for sure that USA makes so fast Ukrainian coup to hit Russia. Sanctions also took its toll. If you take this into consideration situation is not that bad with shipbuilding?

OK one thing is fucked up. 22160 should both main entry level corvette and MRK replacing 22800. lol1 lol1 lol1
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Gorshkov delayed yet again (shocker...) this time to November. I think it's safe to say that this thing is a bust...

https://flotprom.ru/2018/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F%D0%92%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%84%D1%8C27/
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Gorshkov delayed yet again (shocker...) this time to November. I think it's safe to say that this thing is a bust...

https://flotprom.ru/2018/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F%D0%92%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%84%D1%8C27/

Do you mean the ship will fail to fulfil specs long term / be unreliable or simply that its time line is dismal?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:11 pm

LMFS wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Do you mean the ship will fail to fulfil specs long term / be unreliable or simply that its time line is dismal?

They still haven't received first unit, no more are being ordered and design is already becoming outdated.

Situation would be different if they had dozen more on production line, problems would still be there but once solved they would at least have ships in numbers at some point. This way however, they are left with nothing.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:50 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    LMFS wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

They still haven't received first unit, no more are being ordered and design is already becoming outdated.

Situation would be different if they had dozen more on production line, problems would still be there but once solved they would at least have ships in numbers at some point. This way however, they are left with nothing.
    When dealing with such a troubled project, there is no way things are going to go smoothly after some point in time. Everything that can make a problem will make it, right to the bitter end. But I don't think the fate of the class is sealed, rather think this is a moment of re-assessment for the Russian navy. Probably the five units under construction will be finished, maybe also the sixth one apparently ordered. In parallel the design will be evaluated (AD system is new and engines are new too) and a decision will be taken to build more units or to update the design prior to that, or even to go for the Super Gorshkovs also. Imagine they order more ships and during early operation of the class it is clear Poliment-Redut is crap or the new engines unreliable. The good thing is after slowly mastering these issues, they will be in conditions to build state of the art frigates and destroyers with advance AD and strike systems, so the pain is well worth it.
    littlerabbit
    littlerabbit

Post  littlerabbit Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 pm

LMFS wrote:

When dealing with such a troubled project, there is no way things are going to go smoothly after some point in time. Everything that can make a problem will make it, right to the bitter end. But I don't think the fate of the class is sealed, rather think this is a moment of re-assessment for the Russian navy. Probably the five units under construction will be finished, maybe also the sixth one apparently ordered. In parallel the design will be evaluated (AD system is new and engines are new too) and a decision will be taken to build more units or to update the design prior to that, or even to go for the Super Gorshkovs also. Imagine they order more ships and during early operation of the class it is clear Poliment-Redut is crap or the new engines unreliable. The good thing is after slowly mastering these issues, they will be in conditions to build state of the art frigates and destroyers with advance AD and strike systems, so the pain is well worth it.

This is all great, but they had so many years since the first one is laid down (2006) to make a RUSSIAN engine and a lot of other things for project 22350, but they obviously didn't think about it! Now, they are f**ked up and wondering around. It looks to me like those guys who did this blunder with Gorshkov are related to us, Serbs. Very Happy  We are very good in f**king up things like that. respekt
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm

littlerabbit wrote:
    This is all great, but they had so many years since the first one is laid down (2006) to make a RUSSIAN engine and a lot of other things for project 22350, but they obviously didn't think about it! Now, they are f**ked up and wondering around. It looks to me like those guys who did this blunder with Gorshkov are related to us, Serbs. Very Happy  We are very good in f**king up things like that. respekt
    Is the brotherhood between Serbs and Russians so deep that you feel comfortable bashing them for their failures? The Serbian community in the forum are the worse critics of Russian navy from what I see, is this like a family fight or something? respekt

Nevertheless, consider the environment the project had to face. Only the substitution of the Ukrainian engine is enough to delay such a project for a whole decade or cancel it completely, what are you expecting Russians to do? The problem appeared in 2014 and now it seems the new engines are going to be made available. There is simply no way it can be done faster. The Poliment-Redut is also another difficulty, but the Almaz guys were also busy with the S-500 which has much bigger, strategic relevance. If you add the fact that Russia essentially lost the shipbuilding capability during the 90's it all makes sense, unnerving as it can be...
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

The 22350 is a bust?... Oh FFS... PapaChickenLittle is at it again I see...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the delays with the Gorshkov are associated with the integration and performance of an all-new generation of weapons and systems, and the Navy will not accept the vessel until ALL problems are resolved to their satisfaction. Unlike the US or NATO (where they accept vessels with faulty systems and unperforming machinery) the Ruskies demand their MIC companies actually deliver to the spec. They also don't accelerate deliveries by throwing money at the MIC, otherwise known as rewarding for failure.

The series build has been essentially suspended until engine issues (courtesy of the Ukropistani fuktardz) are finally resolved, again to the Navy satisfaction. Creation of a certified MGT powerplant was always going to be a 5-year project, and its hardly a surprise that the Navy has opted to defer the laying down of new Frigate-sized (and larger) vessels until they can get the certainty that their hulls won't be left for years without operable engines. Why the foxtrot do people think its sensible for Russia to fill up its shipyards with unfinished hulls lacking engines, all on the promise of a turbine maker who doesn't have a proven MGT? The idea is fucking madness, yet forum clowns keep banging on about this like a 10-year old autistic child who wants his ice-cream and wants it now....

The Gorshkov will be accepted when it is 100% ready and not before, the Kasanatov likewise. The rest will be completed when the engines are ready. Future hulls will likely be the "Super Gorshkov" variant as due to the sucess of the Kalibre system the Navy wants more firepower on its hulls.

Lets act (and post) like adults about this. No more Chicken Little "sky is falling" bullshit, as it all becoming so fucking tiresome....
    hoom

Post  hoom Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:15 am

I thought they'd previously announced it wouldn't be until late 2018 already? Suspect

On the other hand & if I'm remembering wrong, its up North doing shooting trials atm so the timing of this announcement may represent results of those trials being less than satisfactory...
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am

hoom wrote:I thought they'd previously announced it wouldn't be until late 2018 already? Suspect

On the other hand & if I'm remembering wrong, its up North doing shooting trials atm so the timing of this announcement may represent results of those trials being less than satisfactory...

Reading that they still don't have the bugs out of the Redut Air Defense system... same reason we are not seeing any S350's yet.
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:37 pm

franco wrote:
    hoom wrote:I thought they'd previously announced it wouldn't be until late 2018 already? Suspect

Reading that they still don't have the bugs out of the Redut Air Defense system... same reason we are not seeing any S350's yet.

But I read in march that the poliment redut is working perfectly.
    miroslav

Post  miroslav Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:08 pm

KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    franco wrote:

When was the last time you saw a test launch of that system on youtube or elsewhere, we saw plenty of Shtil launches, individual and salvos, at one or multiple targets.
    kumbor

Post  kumbor Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 pm

For unknown reason, project 22350 is full of problems. But, bear in mind that radar, sonar and FCS were planned to be of a new model. Poliment-Redut is naval version of S-350, which is still not completed for land use. Because of ukrainian idiots, Russia finally turned for domestically made GTs, and thet`s OK. However, I think that propulsion is the main issue.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:40 pm

This drama has been going for way to long, we can only hope that all the problems have finally been hammered out and the modification are applied to the other ships.

As far as i can see there's no choice but to continue with Gorshkov, it's the most recent and capable design, there is no alternative.
    With the possible exception of a modernized Grigorovich, but that's just gonna delay things more, and honestly the Grigorovich is already a revamped Kirvak.
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:55 pm

miroslav wrote:
    KomissarBojanchev wrote:
    franco wrote:

When was the last time you saw a test launch of that system on youtube or elsewhere, we saw plenty of Shtil launches, individual and salvos, at one or multiple targets.

What does this have to do with reports of the poliment redut being ready?
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:04 pm

kumbor wrote:For unknown reason, project 22350 is full of problems. But, bear in mind that radar, sonar and FCS were planned to be of a new model. Poliment-Redut is naval version of S-350, which is still not completed for land use. Because of ukrainian idiots, Russia finally turned for domestically made GTs, and thet`s OK. However, I think that propulsion is the main issue.  

The delays on the Navys acceptance of Gorshkov seems to be due to systems integration and performance issues, which are to be expected to some degree for a ship with an all-new suite of weapons & sensors and a first-of-its-kind-for-Russia integrated combat system (like the US Aegis). Redut-Polimont performance issues were associated with the long range missiles (short range worked fine) which now appear to have been resolved.

Gorshov hasn't been delayed as such by engine supply issues as she has a Ukropi MGT from Zorya-Mashproekt (as has Kasanatov) but series build had been essentially suspended as only a fool keeps building hulls when you don't have engines. Sounds like the build has been restarted (though its hard to tell), presumably as Saturn is close to completing certifications on the new MGTs.

The two issues shouldn't be conflated, but of course, they always are. Agenda-driven narratives rarely change over something as insignificant as facts and demonstrable truth...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am