Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+70
Kimppis
Rmf
szo
Kyo
type055
kvs
tempestii
2SPOOKY4U
EKS
Mike E
navyfield
bantugbro
mutantsushi
gaurav
mig7
RTN
Morpheus Eberhardt
Indian Flanker
Zinuru
Djoka
George1
Airbornewolf
lulldapull
Hannibal Barca
Alex555
Hachimoto
Giulio
havok
eridan
etaepsilonk
magnumcromagnon
Cyberspec
ali.a.r
Werewolf
CaptainPakistan
GJ Flanker
macedonian
Arrow
zg18
BlackArrow
Vann7
flamming_python
KomissarBojanchev
a89
JPJ
Rpg type 7v
Department Of Defense
collegeboy16
quetzacol
dionis
AlfaT8
sepheronx
NickM
TheArmenian
coolieno99
nemrod
Zivo
Firebird
mack8
Mindstorm
Sujoy
Deep Throat
Stealthflanker
SOC
TR1
Flanky
medo
Viktor
Austin
GarryB
74 posters

PAK-FA, T-50: News #2

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

PAK-FA, T-50: News #2 - Page 14 Empty Re: PAK-FA, T-50: News #2

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

GJ Flanker wrote:That's good news.

Let's estimate how many flight hours of all T-50's we have already.

I've heard through other boards that the Pak-Fa prototypes had a combined flight time of over 500 hours, however that's probably speculation and only the designers/engineers know for sure.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 pm

BTW I've been watching the documentary "Building the Su-27 - The Best Fighter Jet in the World", approximately at the "53:26" mark Alexey Knyshev (the lead designer of the Su-27 since 1981) states that Sukhoi only uses 10-20% of it's innovations in their aircraft, can someone please be so kind to elaborate on that remark? By innovations does he mean technological advancements and patents, or does he mean designs of airframes deemed viable/unviable?

SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:41 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:BTW I've been watching the documentary "Building the Su-27 - The Best Fighter Jet in the World", approximately at the "53:26" mark Alexey Knyshev (the lead designer of the Su-27 since 1981) states that Sukhoi only uses 10-20% of it's innovations in their aircraft, can someone please be so kind to elaborate on that remark? By innovations does he mean technological advancements and patents, or does he mean designs of airframes deemed viable/unviable?

I assume it's technology they've come up with that relates to other industries, as well as unbuilt ideas/concepts/technologies for aircraft.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Russian Air Force Receives New Stealth Fighter Prototype

MOSCOW, February 21 (RIA Novosti) – A new advanced fighter jet prototype has been delivered to the Russian Air Force for testing, the manufacturer said Friday.

The first T-50 “stealth” fighter had been delivered to a military airfield in Russia’s southern Astrakhan region for test flights, the Sukhoi company said in a statement.

The chief air force commander, Lt. Gen. Viktor Bondarev, said in December that combat squadrons could expect deliveries of the production version, known by its Russian acronym PAK-FA for future tactical fighter aircraft, in 2016 at the latest.

The PAK-FA is slated to replace the country’s aging fleet of Soviet-era fighter jets.

The Sukhoi T-50 is a fifth-generation fighter jet and features a stealth profile with internal weapons bays for air and ground-attack weapons, thrust-vectoring engines for high-acceleration turns and an ability known as supercruise to fly supersonic without the use of a fuel-guzzling afterburner.

An export version, called the fifth-generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), is also under development in a joint project with India for that country’s air force.

Experts consider the plane comparable to the only fifth-generation fighter currently in operation worldwide, the American F-22 Raptor, which entered service in 2005.

The Moscow-based Sukhoi has been conducting its own test flights of several of the aircraft since 2010, including in-flight refueling and high-agility maneuvers. The company said in October that these had produced favorable results.
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 am

I was looking at F-35 Helmet in CBS program.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/can-the-us-militarys-new-jet-fighter-be-hacked/

Will PAK-FA will have similar Helmet as F-35 that throws all information on Pilot Visor without pilot having to look at Cockpit and the 4 camera on JSF
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:30 am

Austin wrote:I was looking at F-35 Helmet in CBS program.

Will PAK-FA will have similar Helmet as F-35 that throws all information on Pilot Visor without pilot having to look at Cockpit and the 4 camera on JSF

...SURPRISE...the F-35 finds more and more ways to be problematic for the U.S. military, it looks like incompetence and corruption may break the U.S. empire before a foreign force will (keep in mind the U.S. military can't account for $8 trillion)...and how can we forget the Pentagon's posturing in Asia, where they inflate their chest with bravado towards China one minute, then begging on their knees to borrow money from China the next minute...PATHETIC!!!
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:29 am

Remember, not being able to account doesn't mean they literally don't know where it went....its just a lack of transparency regarding the total amount of military spending the US has had.

If we want to go down that line, the Russian mil can't account for hundreds of billions itself (naturally a smaller number due to the difference in defense budges).

I can guarantee you however, which mil has had as a % of its budget more stolen into the pockets of top level functionaries. And it ain't teh US mil.

Most US debt is within the American private sector as well.
    Djoka

Post  Djoka Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:21 am

TR1 wrote:Remember, not being able to account doesn't mean they literally don't know where it went....its just a lack of transparency regarding the total amount of military spending the US has had.

If we want to go down that line, the Russian mil can't account for hundreds of billions itself (naturally a smaller number due to the difference in defense budges).

I can guarantee you however, which mil has had as a % of its budget more stolen into the pockets of top level functionaries. And it ain't teh US mil.

Are you kidding???EVEN americans are starting to ask questions about the most corrupt program in military history the f-35.I mean 500 billion dollars for a small plane that is inferior to pakfa and Chinese fighters??I mean really 500 billion??By the way did you know that workers in f-35 factories recently went on strike because they were underpayed.Begs the question,who took half a trillion dollars?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:42 am

Djoka wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Remember, not being able to account doesn't mean they literally don't know where it went....its just a lack of transparency regarding the total amount of military spending the US has had.

Are you kidding???EVEN americans are starting to ask questions about the most corrupt program in military history the f-35.I mean 500 billion dollars for a small plane that is inferior to pakfa and Chinese fighters??I mean really 500 billion??By the way did you know that workers in f-35 factories recently went on strike because they were underpayed.Begs the question,who took half a trillion dollars?

You don't know how the F-35 matches up to the PAK-FA.

That is the same as people just saying "Oh, Raptor is better!"

Most corrupt eh? You got proof for that?

The program is gigantic, in scope and reach. No wonder it costs so damn much.
    You guys think T-50 will be cheap for Russia in the end? Haha, just wait.
    The giant F-35 costs are mostly because the numbers include the planned production and lifetime costs.

Oh and "even AMericans", I am an American citizen.
    And I think the reactions to the F-35 are pure idiocy. It is either "best thing since sliced bread!" Or "OMG totaly failed project that flies worse than F-4 phantom".

There is a middle road people.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:54 am

TR1 wrote:
    I disagree- if theres one thing the top dogs want want its to maintain the status quo- a strong military would suit that interest.
    you just dont shit where you eat so to speak. But if true- well I dont know about you but it just makes the russian warmachine all
    the more impressive- achieving so much with so little.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 am

They would achieve a lot more if so much wasn't stolen along the way.
    True for Russia in general.

It is much much easier in Russia to get away with blatant, pocket stuffing corruption.
    When did America last have a Serdykov, for example?
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:57 am

I disaggree with the statement that the biggest part of debts is in the private sector of US debts.
    The fact that everything USA sells even domestically by far more expensive than european countries or any asian country sells. It isn't justified by no means that the prices per unit are so high for technology that is most of the time superior by other countries. Facts in numbers speak for themselfs and costs of 350 mln USD per plane isn't justified and the costs for the entire programm are rising even more. Tanks cost over 6 mln while other countries can give it for half or third of that price. Even simple rifles have unjustified costs. The american way of selling is the same system they use in private sector for "tipping" they just put it in into the totall cost and don't even mention it.
    Any empire is run by its MIC not by the private sector and where the cow is the fattest there you can milk the most simple as that.

Yes Soviet Union stole also money through MIC sells but nothing significant compared with the totall amount like US does, they just did it with costs that were much easier to hide so in the long run were more succesful to hide them without making any drama about it, while in US the bigger your company is the less they give a damn about getting caught or not.

Bribing countries to by Apache helicopters for 200 mln USD per unit just shows how deep other countries are controlled with puppets in governments working for the US where do you think all that money goes, overprized more than 5 times of its actuall costs?
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 pm

TR1 wrote:They would achieve a lot more if so much wasn't stolen along the way.
    True for Russia in general.
    True indeed.

TR1 wrote:It is much much easier in Russia to get away with blatant, pocket stuffing corruption.
    I'd wait until the Russian tax payer gives money (in the billions!) to private banks to bail them out, before I made that bold claim myself.

TR1 wrote:When did America last have a Serdykov, for example?
    True, in America you have money going into the pockets of the politicians LEGALLY through 'lobbying'...and many defense officials later (strangely enough) become employees of the companies that the Pentagon gave trillions while they were in office...
    Same thing really, only in America it's deemed legal.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:20 pm

advanced HMD are inevitable anyway. anything from tanks(commander esp.), attack helos, and infantry etc. would have HMD in the future.
    fighter pilots are lucky- they would be the sure first ones to have them.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Austin wrote:I was looking at F-35 Helmet in CBS program.

The HMD for the PAK FA was designed in 2010 itself . Sukhoi is currently integrating the helmet with a new targeting and display system
    GJ Flanker
    GJ Flanker

Post  GJ Flanker Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:33 pm

For export the F-35 is ideal except it's high price, but the Rafale and Typhoon are also too expensive.
    We should not underestimate the F-35, it's a completed new generation multirole fighter, ready for mass series production.
    The development of three different versions was expensive and the high-tech salaries in the US are very very high. For pure extra profit, Lockheed Martin packs $20 million or more on the unit price that already includes a wealthy profit percentage.

With the PAK FA, J-20 and J-31 coming, the F-35 may not be enough for the US Forces. The PAK FA will be produced in low quantities (for Russia min 200, max 500), so it's not the real problem because the US still got the top F-22A. The real problem would be the J-20, J-31 and other new 5th gen. Chinese fighter projects that might appear very soon.

I think no one here had foreseen such a speedy technical development of the Chinese Forces. 15 years ago a F-35 (or F-32) was enough (unparalleled by a foreign designer), 2014???

Maybe by cutting the numbers for the US Forces, building more F-22A (mod.) or totally new fighter, could be the answer, but then they could run into much higher unit prices. Ca. 2.500 F-35 for the US are just to much, but they should export the F-35 without restrictions and even find new big buyers to compensate their (US) eventual cuts.

Don't get me wrong, I think the F-35A/B/C is a quite good fighter but 2.500 +/- for the US Forces are simply too much in the new reality with a rich and strong China, they need something "more to the point"! And of course don't forget Russia, a new MiG will appear, maybe not so soon but it will.

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:34 pm

I think we discussed this topic before and I'm going to give you some food for thought: if you as an individual can't account for thousands of dollars dedicated for taxes than the IRS has the capability to take you to court, convict you and throw you in jail, if the Pentagon can't account for trillions of tax dollars...nothing happens to them. According to Niccolo Machiavelli, the founding father of checks & balances, the guy who inspired John Adams to write the Massachusetts constitution which inspired the U.S. constitution, the very definition of corruption is a massive disparity of wealth, rights, and privileges between the rich and the poor. So where's the equality? Legal precedence has proven thousands of times over that not being able to account for thousands of tax dollars is a criminal offense if a individual U.S. citizen commits it, then why wouldn't it be criminal to not account for sums of tax money on the orders of magnitude greater?
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 pm

GJ Flanker wrote:For export the F-35 is ideal except it's high prioccasionbut the Rafale and Typhoon are also too expensive.  
    We should not underestimate the F-35, it's a completed new generation multirole fighter, ready for mass series production.
    The development of three different versions was expensive and the high-tech salaries in the US are very very high. For pure extra profit, Lockheed Martin packs $20 million or more on the unit price that already includes a wealthy profit percentage.

With the PAK FA, J-20 and J-31 coming, the F-35 may not be enough for the US Forces. The PAK FA will be produced in low quantities (for Russia min 200, max 500), so it's not the real problem because the US still got the top F-22A. The real problem would be the J-20, J-31 and other new 5th gen. Chinese fighter projects that might appear very soon.

I think no one here had foreseen such a speedy technical development of the Chinese Forces. 15 years ago a F-35 (or F-32) was enough (unparalleled by a foreign designer), 2014???

Maybe by cutting the numbers for the US Forces, building more F-22A (mod.) or totally new fighter, could be the answer, but then they could run into much higher unit prices. Ca. 2.500 F-35 for the US are just to much, but they should export the F-35 without restrictions and even find new big buyers to compensate their (US) eventual cuts.

Don't get me wrong, I think the F-35A/B/C is a quite good fighter but 2.500 +/- for the US Forces are simply too much in the new reality with a rich and strong China, they need something "more to the point"! And of course don't forget Russia, a new MiG will appear, maybe not so soon but it will.              

Of course China will make anyone bite dust but is not yet their time. They need an extra decade maybe even a little more before dominate the skies.
    Meantime Russia has a shift spot to reemergence, even briefly, as a global military powerhouse but they are losing precious time due to the inferiority complex they inherited from CW1.
    I hope to see them recover and the hardware seem to be raised to the occasion but it may take serious time.
    As for the Americans, I don't even take them as serious competitors. Sorry when was the last time they produced a top class plane? IMO since 1972 and F15.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:52 am

Several companies in Russia are working on realtime helmet mounted displays, but it is important not to be blinded by gold plating.

The helmet mounted schlem allows the off boresight targeting of air and ground targets without the weight and complexity or indeed headache issues of a high resolution helmet mounted display.

If you have ever felt sick after playing a particular 3D computer game you will now what I mean... the human eye sees in such detail that its "refresh rate" is less than 25 frames per second. In other words if you flick still images in front of a human eye at 25 frames per second or faster it cannot distinguish that it is 25 or more still frames appearing in order in front of it rather than a live scene.

Go below 25 fps and or make the movements delayed and the brain has problems relating the view with its other input like balance from the inner ear etc and a headache is created...
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:
    Of course China will make anyone bite dust but is not yet their time. They need an extra decade maybe even a little more before dominate the skies.
    I disagree- no ones gonna make anyone bite the dust anytime this century.
    Hannibal Barca wrote:
    Meantime Russia has a shift spot to reemergence, even briefly, as a global military powerhouse but they are losing precious time due to the inferiority complex they inherited from CW1.
    I hope to see them recover and the hardware seem to be raised to the occasion but it may take serious time.
    As for the Americans, I don't even take them as serious competitors. Sorry when was the last time they produced a top class plane? IMO since 1972 and F15.
    You know for a supposed greek you sound awfully like a chibot? What inherited inferiority complex are you talking about?
    And why do you underestimate the muricans? even with all their faults and inefficiencies they are still the sole superpower.
    China is nowhere near the might of the SU full-spectrum and yet here they are acting like a superpower. Also, regarding
    relevance, where is the asian NATO? Isnt russia still public enemy no.1 for the west?
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:11 am

-What can I say more than I already said about US? Do you know a top frontal plane that US produced lately? En mass and cheap?

-As of Russia what can I say. This is the sweet spot when US is going down and China is not yet emerged. Probably a decade, maximum two. They don't want any troubles. Just to make a thousand euros a month, live like Americans and save enough to come for a week in greece or turkey for vacations. And this is the bad scenario, the good one is to leave once and for all.
    This is not the way a supposedly no2 would react. I believe T50 sounds amazing, Sukhoi is IMO by far the best company in the world but this is not enough unfortunately in the long ran to support a whole nation.

-As of China I don't have really anything more to say. They are the biggest industry in the world, soon they will be the richest. In industrial era this is all it takes, everything else comes natural.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Hannibal Barca wrote:-What can I say more than I already said about US? Do you know a top frontal plane that US produced lately? En mass and cheap?
    why do they need to produce something en masse and cheap? The F-16 is a very good plane- too bad they neglect it to make way for the next gen. Imo this is the problem with the us- they want to leapfrog ahead of the competition any way they can. Hell, 6th gen fighter for them would be a decade at minimum.
    -As of Russia what can I say. This is the sweet spot when US is going down and China is not yet emerged. Probably a decade, maximum two. They don't want any troubles. Just to make a thousand euros a month, live like Americans and save enough to come for a week in greece or turkey for vacations. And this is the bad scenario, the good one is to leave once and for all.
    This is not the way a supposedly no2 would react. I believe T50 sounds amazing, Sukhoi is IMO by far the best company in the world but this is not enough unfortunately in the long ran to support a whole nation.
    Cold war is over. mma shows that raw brute force is no match against chokeholds. This is what the us is doing and what russia is trying to prevent again. A strong china would have the us aligning with russia, if both really feel threatened. You have to be a SU in peak form to even resist a pressure like that.
    -As of China I don't have really anything more to say. They are the biggest industry in the world, soon they will be the richest. In industrial era this is all it takes, everything else comes natural.
    Im sorry, but this aint the industrial era no more.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:18 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:
    Hannibal Barca wrote:-What can I say more than I already said about US? Do you know a top frontal plane that US produced lately? En mass and cheap?
    why do they need to produce something en masse and cheap? The F-16 is a very good plane- too bad they neglect it to make way for the next gen. Imo this is the problem with the us- they want to leapfrog ahead of the competition any way they can. Hell, 6th gen fighter for them would be a decade at minimum.
    Cold war is over. mma shows that raw brute force is no match against chokeholds. This is what the us is doing and what russia is trying to prevent again. A strong china would have the us aligning with russia, if both really feel threatened. You have to be a SU in peak form to even resist a pressure like that.

-F16 is designed as a cheap multipurpose plane. It was indeed relatively cheap and relatively good for it's purpose but is already 4 decades old. Do you want to see cars from the same era and decide how modern or how competitive can be for the modern standards?

- I will not comment this. IMH opinion you got all wrong. To be expected from a 17yo kid.

We are. Hype aside can you name a strong, technologically advanced, nation that is not an industrial power? One example. Since you can't find.....
    havok
    havok

Post  havok Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:21 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:3.) The F-22 is a hangar queen, 30-40 hours of repair time for every 1 hour of air time. A good analogy might be the F-22 is a skilled Olympic athlete, and pioneered in it's field in a multitude of ways, however it never lived up to it's full potential due to the fact that it's an extremely injury-proned athlete.
    I see you got suckered into believing that statistic. You got suckered because you have no aviation experience, I dare say.

Ever done a 'wing walk'? No, am not talking about stunt flying.

http://www.navyadvancement.com/warfare-specialist/vfa/102-aircraft-handling.php
    4. Safety Observer (Wing-Walker/Tail-Walker)
    A) Conduct's a pre-tow inspection of the a/c.
    B) Ensures safety pins are installed.
    C) Ensures a/c is ready for move.
    D) Ensures a/c is free of chains, cable cords, and support equipment.
    E) Ensures a/c will clear all obstructions during movement.
    To move an aircraft from one row to the next or to the hangar, required are: the crew chief, the tow truck driver, cockpit brake rider, two wing walkers, and one tail walker. Six man-hrs and they are all tabulated into the final monthly maintenance stats. Civilians does it as well.

For the F-22, since surface integrity is crucial to maintain its low radar observability, extraordinary care must be taken in removing any access panel so that the panel and its neighbors are not damaged. Maintainers must wear 'booties' if they need to be on the aircraft's topside, and on topside, any components that are removed from the aircraft cannot be resting on the aircraft's surface, but either on a mat or delivered downstairs. Once panels are installed, spot radar checks must be performed to measure reflectivity. The tool is called the 'Repair Verification Radar' (RVR).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II
    Ground crews require Repair Verification Radar (RVR) test sets to verify the RCS after performing repairs, which is not a concern upon non-stealth aircraft.

Once access to components are available, even major pneudraulics items, such as heavy actuators or pumps, are no more difficult to R/R than on the F-15 or F-16, and I was on the F-16 for five yrs. Prior to the -16, I was on the F-111 for four yrs. I know what I am talking about and I dare say you do not.

You falsely believe, based upon your ignorance of aviation and statistics, that for the F-22, somehow after every flight, there seems to be a near catastrophic malfunction. You are wrong. There are three classification of problems that can be reported by the pilot:

- Code One. Which is no problems at all.
    - Code Two. Which are minor issues that do not affect flight capability and sortie generation.
    - Code Three. Which grounds the aircraft.

Lockheed have a magazine called 'Code One'.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/index.html

I suggest you try to be objective and read it and may be you will learn something.

Anyway...For the F-22, code two issues often, not always, require code three or near code three maintenance operations precisely because of the need to maintain surface integrity, according to the RVR tool, not because the engine nearly caught fire, or the hydraulic pump nearly failed, or electrical system did not delivered. But if necessary, code one and two issues for the F-22 can be resolved out on the flightline. Code Three will have any aircraft or any era into a hangar.

Bottom line is this...You do not know what you are talking about. Next, you are going to repeat Rachel Maddow (MSNBC) and say 'stealth' can be ruined by rain.
    havok
    havok

Post  havok Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Giulio wrote:Interesting. But I don't understood: a plasma antenna works for the stealth when she's turned on or turned off?
    When turned on: she receives and transmits through ionized gas. Turned off she is transparent, or she is a mirror for radar waves?
    Say that this hypothetical 'plasma stealth' aircraft is built via the plasma antenna method.

When the antennas are active, they will conduct (absorb) any impinging radar signals, minimizing reflections. When power is removed from the antennas, no conduction occurs and the aircraft will reflect at a higher signal strength.

On: 'Stealthy'.
    Off: 'Non-stealthy'.

For any aircraft, edges are the first areas of reflectivity. The current 'stealth' designs have passive absorbers on the leading edges of the flight control surfaces. So why not install plasma antennas there, for example? For large surface expanse, such as the underside or topside, why not have long strips of plasma antennas running the length of the aircraft?

The plasma antenna method is more elegant and less power consuming than the rather fantastical plasma cloud enveloping an aircraft. Just in case you wonder why the US is not pursuing this path, all I can say is that we have something even better in terms of active absorbance technology. It will blow Russia's PAK-FA and China's J-20 out of the sky the way the F-117 did for radar detection when it debuted.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:47 am