Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+60
thegopnik
LMFS
marcellogo
calripson
lyle6
william.boutros
Rodion_Romanovic
The-thing-next-door
PhSt
magnumcromagnon
Isos
dino00
Hole
miketheterrible
ult
d_taddei2
T-47
Enera
George1
PapaDragon
kvs
eehnie
BliTTzZ
OminousSpudd
Arctic_Fox
Benya
JohninMK
Project Canada
KoTeMoRe
higurashihougi
rtech
sheytanelkebir
sepheronx
franco
cracker
Werewolf
NickM
Sujoy
Mindstorm
Regular
AlfaT8
Mr.Kalishnikov47
TR1
Zivo
flamming_python
lorenzopopov
Russian Patriot
TheArmenian
Cyberspec
Acrab
Tovarish
NationalRus
Pervius
medo
Andy_Wiz
IronsightSniper
GarryB
Admin
Viktor
Austin
64 posters

Infantry Mobility Vehicles

medo
    medo

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 4 Empty Re: Infantry Mobility Vehicles

Post  medo Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:25 pm

http://vpk.name/news/66161_mvd_spasaet_tigrov_olega_deripaski.html

Russian MVD will keep buying Tigers and they will also develop NBC recce version, which MVD will get in 2015.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:46 pm

The Russian Armed Forces will take delivery of the first 57 Italian Lince (Lynx) light multirole armored vehicles (LMV) before the end of the current year, Defense Ministry press secretary Irina Kovalchuk said on Wednesday.

“These machines will go primarily to the Southern Military District,” she said.

The district incorporates Russia’s troubled North Caucasus republics.

Russia signed a deal with Italy’s Iveco company in December on the semi-knocked down assembly of Lynx vehicles in the central Russia city of Voronezh.

Localization of production at the Voronezh plant is currently 10 percent, Kovalchuk said, adding that by 2014 it is to reach 50 percent.

Lynx is a light multirole armored vehicle developed in 2001 by Iveco Defense Vehicles. It ensures high mobility and protection against anti-tank and anti-personnel mines.

http://www.en.ria.ru/world/20120314/172163010.html

TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 4 Empty "Karatelia" armored vechile

Post  TheArmenian Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

For a short while they were mistaken as the first "Boomerang" prototype. Turns out it is the "Karatelia" that is being developed by ZIL.

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 4 0_7bbc3_970e8fda_XL

Infantry Mobility Vehicles - Page 4 0_8a7d4_2298490e_XL

Info from these sources:

http://twower.livejournal.com/761600.html

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/189137.html

I'll let the people with better Russian language skills than mine to provide further details from the above sites.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:08 am

There is no way that could be boomerang... that looks like some sort of high speed scout car.

Medium brigade boomerang will likely look something like BTR-90 with a rear ramp and possibly side doors as well for rapid entry and exit and it will be in the 25 ton class.

The Boomerang 10 will not necessarily be physically smaller, but will be less than half the weight so it will still be a relatively big vehicle.

This looks to be more of a fully enclosed armoured version of the beach buggy type vehicles the west likes using for its special forces. A rapid response armoured light vehicle with amphibious capability.

Looks very cool.

Can be fitted with a turret to carry a Kord 12.7mm HMG or 30mm AGS-30 or PKM.

It can only withstand a 0.5kg HE under a wheel so they are clearly not armoured run flat tires, but it does have a central tire pressure regulation system.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 am

I think the big question here is how much that thing will cost. Looks very expensive.

Still awesome though. Cool
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 am

It is not an Army vehicle.

AFAIK the letters on the front of it translate to Ts C N, which pretty much makes it special branch of the FSB, Vympel and Alpha and that sort of thing...

From Wiki:

In 1995, the FSB Special Operations Center (TsSN FSB) was granted control over Vympel. The group regained its original name and was reintegrated into the Intelligence Service structures. The emphasis shifted from covert and clandestine sabotage operations to counter-terrorism and nuclear safety enforcement. Vympel operatives undergo special training related to improvised or special explosive devices, permitting them to use "terrorist-like" tactics to carry out their operations. Physical training includes close hand combat, parachute training, diving, underwater combat techniques, climbing, and alpine rope techniques. Regional groups of Vympel were deployed in cities with especially important nuclear facilities.

Vympel (i.e. the Directorate "V" of the TsSN FSB) is still a classified and secretive unit. It took part in Russia's Chechen campaigns and in storming of the Supreme Soviet building during the 1993 Russian constitutional crisis. Little is known about its current operations and activities, the exception being the capture of the Chechen militant leader Salman Raduyev in March 2000 and the assault on the school in Beslan in September 2004.

So we are talking James Bond type car, though the Russian equivalent would work in teams... Twisted Evil
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:34 am

Alpha and Vympel driving around in one of those? I like the thought of that. attack How much protection do you think it offers? Small arms resistance? .50 cal?

Who knows, maybe the final version will have some of that nano tech ballistic armor those Russian scientists have been working on.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 am

I would expect SVD proof, and 50 cal resistant...
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Some good news about the Volk program: 3 vehicles configurations (two 4x4 and one 6x6) will be tested. Entry in service is hoped to be in 2014. The vehicle has modular arrangement and can be easily converted to carry machineguns, mortars, SAMs etc.

http://vpk-news.ru/news/703/

My own guess: If the tests are successfull and the vehicle is adopted in service, among the first recipients will be the VDV.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Good news, that they will continue with testings and development. Volk is very versatile vehicle and could be used for a lot of different tasks.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:22 am

I really hope there's a civilian version in a few years, I wouldn't mind owning one as long as the engine is strong.

Do we know what RWS it will be getting?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Don't think the civilian version will come with a RWS... Laughing

I would think they would have a range of RWS in development including rifle calibre machineguns through HMGs and grenade launchers to cannon and ATGMs.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 pm

GarryB wrote:Don't think the civilian version will come with a RWS... Laughing

I would think they would have a range of RWS in development including rifle calibre machineguns through HMGs and grenade launchers to cannon and ATGMs.

I've never seen a picture of the VPK-3927 Volk with any kind of RWS. There's not that many that were built for testing, at least three I know of (standard 4x4, open back 6x6, closed back 6x6), and none of which have any weapon systems. I just think it's a little odd, especially during state trials.

IMO, based off of what is known, Volk looks a lot more capable than the Tiger, plus the hydraulic suspension will make it a better platform for the VDV. Hopefully a pic of an armed VPK-3927 shows up soon.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 am

Its problem seems to be lack of ready to go production capacity.

Have heard the main interest in the Iveco is that it is a mature system in production and ready to go now.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Sorry for my late reply Garry.

Actually according to This article, the Karatelia only has level 5 protection, which as far as I know is only rated to stop up to 7.62x54, so maybe an SVD loaded with AP rounds at the most? Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 am

Actually according to This article, the Karatelia only has level 5 protection, which as far as I know is only rated to stop up to 7.62x54, so maybe an SVD loaded with AP rounds at the most? Not that there's anything wrong with that of course.

How often do American police vehicles get shot at with 50 cal weapons?

The design has the usual trade off of all these types of vehicles... it is clearly designed for high speed and mobility... if you start protecting it from 12.7mm ammo then you start to lose both high speed and mobility.

Don't think of this vehicle as a BTR... this is a UAZ-469...
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 am

Well of course it doesn't need to be protected against .50 cal. I was just answering my own question more than anything. Smile
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:49 am

It looks like something from Red Faction. All it needs is some Mars landscape for the background.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:53 am

Well of course it doesn't need to be protected against .50 cal. I was just answering my own question more than anything.

It could be 50 cal resistant, but unlikely to stop SLAP rounds or even full bore AP... but keep in mind that heavily sloped armour can cause full calibre bullets to bounce off so even if it wont actually stop 50 cal it might deflect the odd round just because of its shape.

Many western critics talk about the thin armour on the BMDs and claim it is because the Russian government and military don't care about the lives of their soldiers... the irony is that the western equivalents of the VDV didn't have any armoured troop carriers at all at the time so not only were they less protected they were also less mobile and had less fire power.

I realise you are not in that category, but when I see the "dune buggy" western vehicles with no armour at all like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Strike_Vehicle

I wonder why those same western experts don't criticise these vehicles for their lack of protection... even just from the weather and dust...

It looks like something from Red Faction. All it needs is some Mars landscape for the background.

I must admit when I first saw it my initial thought was that it was made for a movie, then I thought it was for a game...
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:15 am

[quote="GarryB"]

It could be 50 cal resistant, but unlikely to stop SLAP rounds or even full bore AP... but keep in mind that heavily sloped armour can cause full calibre bullets to bounce off so even if it wont actually stop 50 cal it might deflect the odd round just because of its shape.

Many western critics talk about the thin armour on the BMDs and claim it is because the Russian government and military don't care about the lives of their soldiers... the irony is that the western equivalents of the VDV didn't have any armoured troop carriers at all at the time so not only were they less protected they were also less mobile and had less fire power.

I realise you are not in that category, but when I see the "dune buggy" western vehicles with no armour at all like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Strike_Vehicle

I wonder why those same western experts don't criticise these vehicles for their lack of protection... even just from the weather and dust...

The experts can't say anything bad about America Garry, if they did then the kids would have nothing to brag about on Youtube.

You seem to have mistaken my posts about the Karatelia's armor protection as some kind of judgement against it. On the contrary, I was actually just really interested in the vehicle and wanted to know what level of protection it was. It looked so futuristic I wouldn't have been surprised if somebody said it could stop a tank round Laughing

In all seriousness though, Level 5 is not a bad amount of armor at all for a vehicle of that class, better than most actually. Definitely better than a Humvee.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:01 am

Sorry, I wasn't criticising you or judging... I was just speculating as to what level of armour they would likely want or need for such a vehicle.

This is a vehicle for the MVD and FSB rather than an army vehicle so it is not really intended for battlefield use, though the fact that it is protected from most small arms fire is probably very useful.

This sort of vehicle would be used instead of a UAV jeep type vehicle so it seems to have very good protection and I hope you didn't get the impression that my comment about "internet experts" complaining about lack of protection etc etc was directed at you.

I find the vehicle interesting too... Smile
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tExVQbsaDFg&feature=related

Summer tests do not look any better than Winter for the Iveco.
    Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Mr.Kalishnikov47

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm

TR1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tExVQbsaDFg&feature=related

Summer tests do not look any better than Winter for the Iveco.

Every time I hear about the Iveco I hate it more and more.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am

Great info and lots of photos about project Karatelia, but my Russian language skills are just inadequate. Maybe someone can provide more insight.

Part 1: http://rusautomobile.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-post_28.html#!/2012/03/blog-post_28.html
    Part 2: http://rusautomobile.livejournal.com/219735.html
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:46 am

The Russian Federation will not make large-scale purchases of foreign armored vehicles, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday at an arms exhibition in the Urals.

"We will not make large-scale purchases of foreign armor," said Rogozin, who has special responsibilities for the military-industrial complex. "We just need a few examples, to decide what they are like and what advantages they have. Cooperation is possible on assembling armored vehicles, but this is only in the case of borrowing for those remaining areas where we lag behind," he added.

Buying the latest examples of foreign-made armor was impossible, he said.

"Even in periods of economic crisis in the west, no-one is going to sell that to us," he said.

His comments came as deliveries of Italian-made Centauro wheeled tanks began this week via Novorossisyk, where the vehicles were seen on the side of the dock after offload from ships.

In May this year, the Oto-Melara company which makes the tank said Russia was testing the Centauro and considering building it under license.

"The first two machines with 105-mm and 125-mm guns are on trial at a Moscow Region proving ground," he said.

Yury Borisov, first deputy head of the military-industrial commission, said Russia would only buy foreign weapon models on a one-off basis to study the manufacturing technology and then set up its own production.

Italy already has 400 Centauros in service.

Russia signed a deal with Italy in December 2011 for the semi-knocked down assembly of 60 Lynx light multirole armored vehicles (LMV) from Iveco, Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Sukhorukov said in January.

http://www.en.ria.ru/mlitary_news/20120824/175409016.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 am