Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+89
Sujoy
Tolstoy
Mir
RTN
Kiko
ALAMO
mnztr
lancelot
LMFS
limb
Lurk83
The_Observer
Tai Hai Chen
owais.usmani
Tingsay
MiamiMachineShop
DerWolf
The-thing-next-door
Hole
PTURBG
Labrador
marcellogo
verkhoturye51
kumbor
Kimppis
Peŕrier
Luq man
littlerabbit
Rodion_Romanovic
Benya
hoom
miroslav
AlfaT8
Isos
kvs
GarryB
chicken
Singular_Transform
miketheterrible
Singular_trafo
wilhelm
Svyatoslavich
jhelb
GRU
KiloGolf
DB1234
SeigSoloyvov
JohninMK
max steel
zardof
galicije83
George1
calripson
marat
Rmf
artjomh
PapaDragon
GunshipDemocracy
franco
flamming_python
Honesroc
Cyberspec
Big_Gazza
ult
Morpheus Eberhardt
T055
Mike E
Flyingdutchman
Dima
zg18
Vympel
magnumcromagnon
navyfield
zino
GJ Flanker
medo
Vann7
runaway
etaepsilonk
sepheronx
Notio
xeno
Austin
Viktor
KomissarBojanchev
TR1
TheArmenian
Admin
Russian Patriot
93 posters

Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich

SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 Empty Re: Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 am

Rodion_Romanovic wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    KomissarBojanchev wrote:I repeat once again: why, if the saturn gas turbines are ready, would yantar decide to sell the 3 frigates?

Only possible excuse is IF this is true.

Is that they are producing the engines so slow, they would not have any engines ready for years which shocker Russian naval industry shows it's incompetence once more if that turns out to be true

It simply makes no sense if they have engines ready or can make them they would sell the hulls rather then complete them.

Well, Saturn is not producing the same powerplant that was in.the grigorovich (2 DS-71 cruise gas turbines 8,450 shp (6,300 kW) and 2 DT-59 boost gas turbines 22,000 shp (16 MW each)  rather the new one that is to be fitted on the Gorshov frigate
    M90FR FRU 20 MW (max 25 28) (Saturn is also producing M70FRU 14 MW , M70FRU2 6 8 MW)

. It is possible.that adapting that powerplant to the grigorovic would require serious hull work. In that case it would be maybe ok do a mod for new frigates and adapt them to the gorshov engine, but would not be worth for the hulls that are already in advanced stage of completion.

Eh they could easily rig the engines for the ships that isn't hard so I am not inclined to agree.

I mean it's not a bad theory and it's a reasonable one but simply doesn't work like that. Gas turbines are gas turbines if they were trying to switch to a whole new power plant sure.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 Empty Re: Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich

Post  JohninMK Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Eh they could easily rig the engines for the ships that isn't hard so I am not inclined to agree.

I mean it's not a bad theory and it's a reasonable one but simply doesn't work like that. Gas turbines are gas turbines if they were trying to switch to a whole new power plant sure.

How much of a say did the Indians, as the prospective customer, have a say in the decision?

Perhaps they got such a really low price out of the Ukrainians for the turbines that it really was a no brainer to use them? Maybe the Indians, quite understandably, didn't want to be one of the first users of brand new Saturn engines and for logistics etc wanted the same as they already had? It also minimises the chance of any potential delays caused by re-engineering, even if, as you say, it would be slight and gets the ships off the books and into, albeit lower, revenue quicker.

It seems to me to be the lowest risk decision from so many aspects for everyone involved. Good commercial play by the Russians.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    KomissarBojanchev wrote:I repeat once again: why, if the saturn gas turbines are ready, would yantar decide to sell the 3 frigates?

Actually it depend on how gorshkov program goes. Grigorovich were made only for export in their version for india. When they saw that gorshkov were harder to build than expected they ordered some grigorovich.

With the engine issue grigorovich program is  as slow as gorshkov one.

If they are sure to build more gorshkov quickly they will sell these frigates to buy gorshkovs. That was the original plan.

Except they have shown to be completely incapable of building Gorsh in any reasonable timeline.

So this theory makes no sense what so ever and isn't supported by any facts

Grigorovich are nout build so fast too. They also have supergorshkov in mind.

I think they are lost in all those projects they don't even know what they want.

They were supposed to have only gorshkov as their only frigate and they end up building grigorovich, derzki, gorshkov, future super gorshkov ...

SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Isos wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Isos wrote:

Actually it depend on how gorshkov program goes. Grigorovich were made only for export in their version for india. When they saw that gorshkov were harder to build than expected they ordered some grigorovich.

If they are sure to build more gorshkov quickly they will sell these frigates to buy gorshkovs. That was the original plan.

Except they have shown to be completely incapable of building Gorsh in any reasonable timeline.

I think they are lost in all those projects they don't even know what they want.

They were supposed to have only gorshkov as their only frigate and they end up building grigorovich, derzki, gorshkov, future super gorshkov ...

They were built in like three years each....That's not ideal but that's not bad also two years is generally the max a ship of that size should take..so three years by russian standards is actually pretty dam good.

That is one problem they have I will agree they cannot make up their minds
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

How much of a say did the Indians, as the prospective customer, have a say in the decision?

Perhaps they got such a really low price out of the Ukrainians for the turbines that it really was a no brainer to use them? Maybe the Indians, quite understandably, didn't want to be one of the first users of brand new Saturn engines and for logistics etc wanted the same as they already had? It also minimises the chance of any potential delays caused by re-engineering, even if, as you say, it would be slight and gets the ships off the books and into, albeit lower, revenue quicker.

It seems to me to be the lowest risk decision from so many aspects for everyone involved. Good commercial play by the Russians.

It's not even clear this is happening, no paperwork exists yet to support it.

We have had Yantar and Russian admirals say stuff like this before to find out it was false.

If the Indian's did purchase the hulls, then they get all the say on what's going into that engine section. That said if the Saturn engines are truly ready why would they sell the hulls? Even if the Russians were like "Hey we have our new engines ready use these rather then the shitty Ukrainian ones".

Ukrainian tech is known to be very not reliable after all. To the point stuff they have sold is generally returned due to quality concerns.

It just doesn't make any sense if the Russians had the engines they would not sell the ships, so IF this selling stuff is true then that means NPO Saturn was pulling BS all this time and they, in fact, have shit except maybe a couple of prototype engines. Which if that's the case, Goddam these need to be shot.
    Peŕrier

Post  Peŕrier Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Isos wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Isos wrote:

No, quite simply, they faced the troubles of a dilapidated supply chain, and discovered that almost everything they designed in late 80ies to early 90ies could not be built at a reasonable pace, so they adopted a two pronged approach: they inducted more old school hulls, like the Grigorovich to keep some token operative force available, and used the 90ies projects as a basis for further development.

Whatever they designed between 80ies and 90ies they deeply overhauled in the 2000ies to get where they are starting to be now: 20386, so called super Gorshkov and so on are what, anyway, hey should have designed and inducted in service at around present time.

What they lost, and that loss will still be here for a decade if not longer, are the classes they should have inducted in the 90ies, from a large number of 20380s that didn't get built to the successors of Sovremennyis and Udaloys and Slavas that never happened at all.

Now Russian Navy is lying the foundations of its force structure in the next two to three decades, and it will take almost another decade before the results of these years of work and thinking will bear their fruits and get fully visible.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:04 am

Isos wrote:......

That's a corvette, frigate and a destroyer right there

They have pretty much entire lineup, they just need to get on with it already
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Isos wrote:......

That's a corvette, frigate and a destroyer right there

Well no one really cares jow you call them. It is just that they want to build the super gorshkov instead of the gorshkov even if there isn't nothing official. And Grigorovich were not meant to be part of russian navy they took them because they had to replace old ships. They wanted 1 design which was gorshkov to be the backbone of their navy and it is not. They needed some 20-30 of them.

I'm just telling the facts not my opinion.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am

Isos wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:.....

Well no one really cares jow you call them. It is just that they want to build the super gorshkov instead of the gorshkov even if there isn't nothing official. And Grigorovich were not meant to be part of russian navy they took them because they had to replace old ships. They wanted 1 design which was gorshkov to be the backbone of their navy and it is not. They needed some 20-30 of them.

I'm just telling the facts not my opinion.

I am not disagreeing.

I have been saying for a while that they need to just pick one, send blueprints to several shipyards and get cracking.

They want one design? Fine but this is getting hilarious. With current approach by the time they start getting them they will be obsolete.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm

You guys are forgetting that Pr. 11356 Grigorovich class was never intended to be Russia's main frigate.
    They ordered six of them only and only for the Black Sea Fleet which was fast moving towards obsolescence.
    That were just a quick fix solution for the Black Sea Fleet only.
    They made that choice because Grigorovich technology was mature and the ships could be had relatively quickly.
    The Gorshkov frigates and Steregushy corvettes will be the mainstays of the RuNavy's 2nd and 3rd rank assets - not the Grigoroviches.

When the construction of the 3 remaining Grigoroviches was halted due to Ukrop engine embargo, the Navy Glavkomand decided to sell these unfinished hulls and move on.
    littlerabbit
    littlerabbit

Post  littlerabbit Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm still thinking that Russia should built 5 Gorshkovs and 2 Super Gorshkovs for the Black Sea Fleet, then send 3 Grigorovichs to Baltic Fleet and get rid of Moscow Slava cruiser, period. Wink
    hoom

Post  hoom Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:29 am

Thing is, Gorshkov is still not ready.
    Like with the new Kilos for BSF which were because Ladas weren't ready & with that program still not ready (pretty much cancelled & new Kalina in the works but far from ready for production) they bit the bullet to build a new series for Pacific fleet, to me it makes sense to build a 2nd series of Grigoroviches.

The Frigate program is a close parallel: Gorshkov is still not ready, (pretty much cancelled & new Super Gorshkov program announced but still a long way off), there is still (arguably even more so) a desperate need for new surface ships.
    They could do a lot worse than build a new batch of Grigoroviches.
    kumbor

Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 Empty project 11356

Post  kumbor Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:36 pm

hoom wrote:Thing is, Gorshkov is still not ready.
    Like with the new Kilos for BSF which were because Ladas weren't ready & with that program still not ready (pretty much cancelled & new Kalina in the works but far from ready for production) they bit the bullet to build a new series for Pacific fleet, to me it makes sense to build a 2nd series of Grigoroviches.

The Frigate program is a close parallel: Gorshkov is still not ready, (pretty much cancelled & new Super Gorshkov program announced but still a long way off), there is still (arguably even more so) a desperate need for new surface ships.
    They could do a lot worse than build a new batch of Grigoroviches.

1135/11351/2/6 proved themselves as succesful and seaworthy vessels. 11356`s are new, with new equipment, and that is the most important. Obviously that the domestic production of GTs is not going as planned. Mistake! They should have switched to Saturn GTs earlier, as the breakup with Zorya-Mashproekt was only the question of time. And I can bet that somebody could simply sabotage the ukrainian production or toss "the extra bolt" into the engine and destroy it while it runs somewhere at sea!
    hoom

Post  hoom Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 am

Just some Balancer pics of Grigorovich returning to Sevastopol on 1 June because handsome ship is handsome
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 02-6336749-dsc-2092
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 02-6336749-dsc-2108
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 02-6336749-dsc-2110
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 02-6336749-dsc-2126
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 Eos6DYVOKq0
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 UyUC5D2UqGc
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 YCFNmdRUaP4
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 C-pbBFrZM8E
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 J54YzzxVk9U
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:53 am

When will Admiral Makarov sail to Sevastopol?
    hoom

Post  hoom Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:34 am

Good question.
    I think there were rumors of it being delayed for Victory Day but doesn't seem to be in a rush since that was a month ago.
    Maybe after World Cup?
    hoom

Post  hoom Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Vid of Essen returning to Sevastopol from another Syria patrol, doesn't seem to have launched Kalibr this time (though Russia have possibly clammed up on officially notifying Kalibr launches last several months, I've seen several Kalibr launches claimed in Syria coverage but not by Russian media, entirely possible because those claims are simply wrong)

Also a few pics
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 9B3DbhdimSE
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 CuOxBPLUIQU
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 WOJXocOYdCk
    hoom

Post  hoom Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 am

Makarov in St Petersburg
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 20-6494513-2018-07-20-08-44-16-dsc02156
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 20-6494593-cegg8dwczyq

Meanwhile Essen & Grigorovich in Sevastopol
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 1zyvhiRMPLY
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 S7zQN1crta0
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 RrbK03iBDR0
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 NCuSzmFM0lo
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 JzqEczC-4zA
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 F8GZGwAo_tQ
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 VFJKk8bgGG0
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 JIKG9Qi-eKI
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 am

https://rusreality.com/2018/08/10/russian-frigate-admiral-essen-caught-the-american-submarine/

Admiral Essen is said to have detected and tracked an Ohio sub in the mediteranean. I don't if there is a more reliable source.
    Luq man
    Luq man

Post  Luq man Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Isos wrote:https://rusreality.com/2018/08/10/russian-frigate-admiral-essen-caught-the-american-submarine/

Admiral Essen is said to have detected and tracked an Ohio sub in the mediteranean. I don't if there is a more reliable source.
    The frigate of the Black Sea Fleet, Admiral Essen, during the last trip to the Mediterranean Sea in April tracked and escorted an American submarine of the Ohio type, Izvestia writes with reference to the Navy's commander-in-chief. According to the publication, the prosecution lasted more than two hours. The crew of the frigate recorded the main parameters of the submarine, which would be deciphered and attached to the acoustic portrait of the submarine. The frigate went to the Mediterranean in March and returned to the base in Sevastopol in late June. During the campaign, the crew conducted a complex of various exercises on the conduct of battle by a single ship, as part of a grouping of ships with artillery firing for surface and air targets, and also worked anti-submarine tasks.
    "Admiral Essen" is the second watchdog ship of project 11356 (the first - "Admiral Grigorovich"). It was named in honor of Admiral Nikolai Ottovich von Essen, who commanded the Russian fleet of the Baltic Sea at the beginning of the 20th century. The frigate is armed with cruise missiles "Caliber", a self-defense missile system "Shtil-1," an artillery caliber of 100 millimeters, anti-aircraft artillery and a jet bomb.
    Submarine class "Ohio" is equipped with 150 tactical missiles "Tomahawk" and is considered one of the largest in the world.

РИА Новости https://ria.ru/defense_safety/20180810/1526288292.html
    hoom

Post  hoom Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Makarov on the way to BSF http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/5468206

The new frigate "Admiral Makarov", which was in the Baltic since it was commissioned in late 2017, began the transition to the Black Sea to a permanent base. This was reported in the press service of the Black Sea Fleet.

"The third serial frigate of Project 11356" Admiral Makarov "began fulfilling the tasks of the interflot transition from the Baltic to the Black Sea to the permanent base in Sevastopol," the press service said.
    2nd sentence reads like it hasn't actually left yet but is preparing.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Luq man wrote:[
    The frigate of the Black Sea Fleet, Admiral Essen, during the last trip to the Mediterranean Sea in April tracked and escorted an American submarine of the Ohio type, []
    Submarine class "Ohio" is equipped with 150 tactical missiles "Tomahawk" and is considered one of the largest in the world.

РИА Новости https://ria.ru/defense_safety/20180810/1526288292.html

Well it s very dangerous sub. a salvo of 150 tomahawks 2000 km form your shores is to be reckoned with.
    hoom

Post  hoom Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:00 am

2nd sentence reads like it hasn't actually left yet but is preparing.
    Apparently I'm wrong again Embarassed  
    Has gone through the English Channel
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 21-6589857-dleru
    Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 21-6589857-dlera

Edit: also Grigorovich test fired whats apparently the supersonic Kalibr in Black Sea recently http://charly015.blogspot.com/2018/08/ejercicios-de-tiro-de-la-fragata.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Υes it started the trip to BSF

Project 11356: Admiral Grigorovich - Page 26 5813580_original

Along with the other two frigates of project 11356 will be part part of the 30th Division of the surface ships of the Black Sea Fleet, based in Sevastopol.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3312022.html
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Another article saying 2 of the partially completed 11356's will be sold to India... who knows Suspect

http://in24.org/technology/32797

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 am