Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    George1
    George1

    Posts : 15478
    Points : 15973
    Join date : 2011-12-23
    Location : Greece

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  George1 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:35 am

    It notes that from 2012 to 2020, the number of cruise missiles in service with the Russian army increased 37 times. This type of weapons includes sea-based missiles "Caliber", air missiles X-101, and other similar types of weapons. Many of them are part of the strategic non-nuclear forces.

    https://en.topwar.ru/178434-rossijskij-arsenal-krylatyh-raket-bolshoj-dalnosti-vyros-v-desjatki-raz.html

    GarryB, dino00, magnumcromagnon, lyle6 and Scorpius like this post

    Scorpius
    Scorpius

    Posts : 120
    Points : 122
    Join date : 2020-11-06
    Age : 33

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  Scorpius on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:43 am

    George1 wrote:It notes that from 2012 to 2020, the number of cruise missiles in service with the Russian army increased 37 times. This type of weapons includes sea-based missiles "Caliber", air missiles X-101, and other similar types of weapons. Many of them are part of the strategic non-nuclear forces.

    https://en.topwar.ru/178434-rossijskij-arsenal-krylatyh-raket-bolshoj-dalnosti-vyros-v-desjatki-raz.html

    At the beginning of next year, we will conclude long-term contracts for the additional purchase of high-precision long-range missiles, which will double their number.
    Quote from the official report of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation on the results of 2020.

    So, after a couple of years, the x37 will have to double.


    Last edited by Scorpius on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a link to the source of the quote)

    dino00, zepia, LMFS and lyle6 like this post

    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 756
    Points : 786
    Join date : 2018-01-22

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  mnztr on Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:37 pm

    I doubt they plan to double the number in a couple of years, more likely they are sigining contracts to maintain production rates. They have a shit load of missiles already. Russia has a long believed in quantity. They have a bonkers number of artillary guns, mortars, mlrs etc in inventory. Looks like they will get there with the cruise missiles as well.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6898
    Points : 6888
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  Isos on Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:56 pm

    The number of uksk launchers is increasing quickly. That's normal that they have more missiles.

    With all the gorshkovs, yasen and other ships they are building they will need to have around 1000 ready to fire missiles inside them. They will also need a stock of 2 or 3 missile per cell so that increase to 2000-3000 missiles in total.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 9957
    Points : 10035
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:26 pm

    Isos wrote:The number of uksk launchers is increasing quickly. That's normal that they have more missiles.

    With all the gorshkovs, yasen and other ships they are building they will need to have around 1000 ready to fire missiles inside them. They will also need a stock of 2 or 3 missile per cell so that increase to 2000-3000 missiles in total.

    And they also need to launch a few of them every year, they don't have indefinite expiration date
    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3716
    Points : 3746
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  franco on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:22 pm

    Scorpius wrote:
    George1 wrote:It notes that from 2012 to 2020, the number of cruise missiles in service with the Russian army increased 37 times. This type of weapons includes sea-based missiles "Caliber", air missiles X-101, and other similar types of weapons. Many of them are part of the strategic non-nuclear forces.

    https://en.topwar.ru/178434-rossijskij-arsenal-krylatyh-raket-bolshoj-dalnosti-vyros-v-desjatki-raz.html

    At the beginning of next year, we will conclude long-term contracts for the additional purchase of high-precision long-range missiles, which will double their number.
    Quote from the official report of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation on the results of 2020.

    So, after a couple of years, the x37 will have to double.

    Remember reading the total of non-nuclear cruise missiles available at the start of this and it was only double digits hence the massive growth even with testing and use in Syria.
    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 756
    Points : 786
    Join date : 2018-01-22

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  mnztr on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:41 am

    Isos wrote:The number of uksk launchers is increasing quickly. That's normal that they have more missiles.

    With all the gorshkovs, yasen and other ships they are building they will need to have around 1000 ready to fire missiles inside them. They will also need a stock of 2 or 3 missile per cell so that increase to 2000-3000 missiles in total.

    Yeah but they have 3700% more missiles since 2012, and in 2012 they already had quiet a few!!
    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 756
    Points : 786
    Join date : 2018-01-22

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  mnztr on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:43 am

    franco wrote:

    Remember reading the total of non-nuclear cruise missiles available at the start of this and it was only double digits hence the massive growth even with testing and use in Syria.

    How can it only be double digits, no way. The had a lot of cruise missile models already that were quite mature.
    lyle6
    lyle6

    Posts : 204
    Points : 206
    Join date : 2020-09-14

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  lyle6 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:15 am

    mnztr wrote:
    How can it only be double digits, no way. The had a lot of cruise missile models already that were quite mature.

    The bomber force alone would have ~1000 nuclear warheads which would need missiles to mate with. Add the substantial non-strategic nuclear warhead stockpile to the list and its not surprising even Russia would be left with but a couple dozen cruise missiles carrying conventional warheads. Not that big of a deal given the then emphasis on nuclear weaponry as deterrence in light of weak state of the Russian armed forces then. But that did meant that Russia didn't have any effective options for strategic strikes outside of nukes though, which is not ideal.
    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 756
    Points : 786
    Join date : 2018-01-22

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  mnztr on Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:36 am

    KH-55 was in service since the mid 80s, no way they built less then 1000 of those.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6898
    Points : 6888
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  Isos on Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:32 pm

    mnztr wrote:
    franco wrote:

    Remember reading the total of non-nuclear cruise missiles available at the start of this and it was only double digits hence the massive growth even with testing and use in Syria.

    How can it only be double digits, no way. The had a lot of cruise missile models already that were quite mature.


    They had missiles like kh-31 or kh-25.

    But missiles like kh-59, kh-101/55 or land attack cruise missiles weren't that much used or produced. And they kept them for use against NATO.

    They always used rockets or unguided bombs which was more destructive and cheaper but put the planes at risk.
    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3716
    Points : 3746
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  franco on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:43 pm

    mnztr wrote:KH-55 was in service since the mid 80s, no way they built less then 1000 of those.

    Think about your argument. If they had 1,000 cruise missiles at the start then by Shoigu's statement they have 37,000 now so have produced 4,000 per year plus extras for usage and testing?

    As opposed to ~80 cruise missiles then and 3,000 now? And for clarification we are talking about non-nuclear warheads.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 6898
    Points : 6888
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  Isos on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:56 pm

    They have a limit date. USSR may have produced 1000 of them but all are dead and never replaced by Russia.

    They just started mass production last couple of years and it is mostly kh-101 and kalibr.

    Kh-59mk2 was ready long time ago and was tested only recently in Syria by su-57. So they didn't buy any before that.


    Chinese also have tens of new models but doesn't seems to mass produce all of them and most of the one used are based on old soviet missiles.

    That's not cheap. No matter what their price is, buying 1000 of them means adding 000 at the end of the price which make it very expensive.


    NATO run out of guided ammo against ISIS (and they weren't attacking them that much) and they were only guided bombs. Missiles like kh-101 or kalibr are very expensive.

    They will very likely start mass producing the small guided
    glide bombs for UAVs and intergrate them on sukhois. More accuracy means smaller warhead.
    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 756
    Points : 786
    Join date : 2018-01-22

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  mnztr on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:59 am

    KH-55s need some checks but they are gas turbine powered so they do not age out the way rocket powered missiles do. They are probably fueled and defulled on a regular cycle, batteries replaced and its pretty much all good. There is no way they would just bin these missiles as they are excellent and still highly viable missiles today. Ukriane sold Iran 12 and now Iran makes a version. Cruise missile with 2500km range, how many nations even today can make one? We all know the good 'ol USSR never ordered just 1000 missiles. I would say at least 3-4000. So maybe the DM is talking about a specific catagory of weapons. I would be very surprised if Russia has less then 7-10,000 cruise missiles with range over 1000 km today. Heck even Iran has hundreds and hundreds.
    I did find a note that Ukraine returned 575 missiles to Russia in payment of gas debts, so if 575 were in Ukraine...well.

    Hole likes this post

    LMFS
    LMFS

    Posts : 2725
    Points : 2727
    Join date : 2018-03-04

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  LMFS on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 am

    This is a nice thread by Dmitry Stefanovich calculating that Russia has now between 2,000 and 3,000 long range and cruise missiles, with maybe half of it available for a first salvo and prospects for that number to increase notably when Kh-50 is put in service:

    https://twitter.com/KomissarWhipla/status/1348674176907943936

    With all of them being dual capable, this is another number to check if the geniuses in the West can count...
    franco
    franco

    Posts : 3716
    Points : 3746
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  franco on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 am

    Wink

    Think about your argument. If they had 1,000 cruise missiles at the start then by Shoigu's statement they have 37,000 now so have produced 4,000 per year plus extras for usage and testing?

    As opposed to ~80 cruise missiles then and 3,000 now? And for clarification we are talking about non-nuclear warheads.


    thumbsup
    avatar
    mnztr

    Posts : 756
    Points : 786
    Join date : 2018-01-22

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  mnztr on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 am

    Ukraine sent 575 cruise missiles back to Russia. So even if they somehow had zero, then they had at least 500, unless they decommed the KH-55 or used them in some unknown war, Who knows what catagory they are counting when they say 37x. And what is a reasonable number of non-nuclear cruise missiles for a nation that has 6000 nuclear warheads? 3000 seems very low to me and I find it hard to believe that Russia was down to 80 cruise missiles at any point in the last 20 years.

    Sponsored content

    Russian Cruise Missiles Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Russian Cruise Missiles Thread

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:09 pm