Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+72
GarryB
Isos
thegopnik
SovietAce
BenVaserlan
gc3762
Krepost
Sprut-B
sepheronx
Rasisuki Nebia
pavi
william.boutros
xeno
mack8
Dr.Snufflebug
Begome
AlfaT8
zepia
caveat emptor
Big_Gazza
ALAMO
Werewolf
RTN
Tolstoy
Sujoy
Gazputin
Belisarius
flamming_python
lyle6
Stealthflanker
Swgman_BK
PeregrineFalcon
limb
Hole
George1
medo
AMCXXL
TMA1
magnumcromagnon
gmsmith1985
tanino
Flanky
galicije83
Podlodka77
LMFS
calripson
PapaDragon
mnztr
Jeremy Sun
Arkanghelsk
ult
owais.usmani
Backman
Atmosphere
miketheterrible
Bob Bollusc
Autodestruct
Arrow
Lennox
Scorpius
Cheetah
franco
Mir
Broski
dino00
kvs
Kiko
hoom
The-thing-next-door
marcellogo
JohninMK
Gomig-21
76 posters

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #8

Mir
    Mir

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #8 - Page 6 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #8

Post  Mir Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:31 pm

The Mikoyan PAK DP (Mig-41) is on it's way. Like the Mig-31 it will be an all out interceptor and apparently capable of flying near space missions at Mach 4+. It's missiles are said to be capable of intercepting hypersonic weapons and it will likely have an ASAT mission as well. The design will also incorporate stealth features. As an interceptor it will be far more capable than the Su-57. It will be an enormous challenge for Mikoyan but I am pretty confident they can deliver.
    limb

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #8 - Page 6 Empty Re: Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #8

Post  limb Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:56 pm

welp,
    I guess those 4 Su-57s are being delayed. This is like a boutique supercar production line rather than serial aircraft production.
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 am

You cannot expect everything to go smoothly when they are just starting the production line.
    TMA1
    TMA1

Post  TMA1 Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:27 am

limb wrote:welp,
    I guess those 4 Su-57s are being delayed. This is like a boutique supercar production line rather than serial aircraft production.

Nah they are going to increase production you goof. Though yeah it sucks they are late they will still pull through. It is a mighty aircraft and they want to make sure everything is right.

Big_Gazza likes this post

thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:33 am

Mir wrote:The Mikoyan PAK DP (Mig-41) is on it's way. Like the Mig-31 it will be an all out interceptor and apparently capable of flying near space missions at Mach 4+. It's missiles are said to be capable of intercepting hypersonic weapons and it will likely have an ASAT mission as well. The design will also incorporate stealth features. As an interceptor it will be far more capable than the Su-57. It will be an enormous challenge for Mikoyan but I am pretty confident they can deliver.

I wouldnt get my hopes up too fast since they got to test flight the krylo-SV 1st which I want to hear the results of it soon, 3 stream cycle engine is probably what is next and alot easier than equipping a detonation engine. To me any aircraft given a detonation engine or a photonic radar deserves a +1 gen upgrade to its name than the next gen after mig-41 probably be a aircraft that has a minauture nuclear engine like Burevestnik and some ion thrusters to travel around orbit to target near orbit aircrafts would be another +1 gen added. Also of course all AI controlled.

GarryB and Mir like this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:17 am

TMA1 wrote:
    limb wrote:welp,

Nah they are going to increase production you goof. Though yeah it sucks they are late they will still pull through. It is a mighty aircraft and they want to make sure everything is right.

How do we know they weren't released already?

Just FYI, russia started to ban news releases of sensitive stuff. Most part, until government says so, we don't know. We may learn about it in new year if they flew or not.

GarryB and TMA1 like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:43 am

thegopnik wrote:
    I wouldnt get my hopes up too fast since they got to test flight the krylo-SV 1st which I want to hear the results of it soon, 3 stream cycle engine is probably what is next and alot easier than equipping a detonation engine. To me any aircraft given a detonation engine or a photonic radar deserves a +1 gen upgrade to its name than the next gen after mig-41 probably be a aircraft that has a minauture nuclear engine like Burevestnik and some ion thrusters to travel around orbit to target near orbit aircrafts would be another +1 gen added. Also of course all AI controlled.

As Miketheterrible has indicated in his post above - much of the progress on the Mig-41 will be under wraps for now but I'm optimistic that we might just see a prototype quite soon. Even a very blurry one! Laughing

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:03 am

Gary wouldnt su57 perform this mission via stealth and drone?

How long and how reliable will stealth be effective for?

When it comes to air defence speed is always important... if the US sends B-2 bombers over the north pole to attack targets in Russia, the range of their missiles and stand off weapons means that to reach targets in Moscow and the south of the country they need to launch their weapons well past the north pole... now if you have MiG-31s based in the far north and 5,000km range OTH radars that can spot them while they are still in Canadian airspace then you can launch your MiG-31s... operating at Mach 2.4 they can fly as long as they like at that speed and the aircraft has a flight radius of 750km at that speed when at altitude... that means the MiG-31 covers that distance in about 13 minutes and is then free to launch an attack 750km north of their northernmost airbase at targets that could be 300km further away with their R-37M missiles.

Being able to move so fast means the interception takes place further away from Russia... which means the target is less ready and less likely to have started launching its missiles... in the case of a B-1B that means being able to shoot down a single B-1B with a single missile instead of having to deal with over a dozen land attack cruise missiles and a B-1B.

Speed is important because it allows you to intercept targets further out and also means you can cover a much larger area with the same aircraft.

People say the Su-27 is better than the MiG-29 because it has twice the range, but they both normally fly at the same speed so effectively they both cover the same area... the Su-27 just has more fuel left over afterwards and can use AB more often... which means launching missiles at higher speeds... which is certainly an advantage... but it is not the advantage many claim where you can do the same job with half the number of aircraft.

Essentially you are lowering the fighter density of your airspace protection which is not good.

One Flanker can't cover the same airspace as two Fulcrums because two Fulcrums can split up and cover different areas at the same time.

Since the cold war Russia has rightly focussed on the PVO... air defence... which means Flankers are more use than Fulcrums... but now I suspect they are filling out their forces so Frontal Aviation is probably going to get more love which means cheaper lighter fighters makes more sense so you can have them in useful numbers. They will also utilise their swing role capability much more... making ground forces even more capable... there is no artillery that has the mobility and range of a medium fighter with the weight of fire of 500kg bombs...

For example against AWACS or Fuelling tankers SU57 could perform the same job of mig 31 in intercepting these targets in stealth and directing drones as well to launch missiles at those targets ?

Well it certainly could do and its armament includes the R-37M and new Article 815 for that purpose, but that is not so much interception... in many ways it is an aircraft based SEAD mission.

In time we could see very long range hypersonic missiles being carried by the Su-57 and indeed MiG-31/41 for that purpose... the useful thing about a jet engine is its endurance because of the amount of fuel you can carry that does not need to include an oxidiser, and the best jet so far is the scramjet that gives rocket speeds with jet level endurance, which translates to rather excellent range potential... Imagine a Zircon which is launched from a MiG-31 at mach 2.5 at 18km altitude with a 60kg HE warhead instead of the warhead it has for use against ships which is likely much much bigger... it does not need a standing start so no need for a solid rocket motor to get it moving and climb to altitude so all that space and weight can be extra fuel for the scramjet to accelerate it from 18km altitude to perhaps 50km and 3,000km plus in range or more... launched in forward motion at supersonic speeds and above most of the atmosphere its performance would be much much better with very few serious modifications needed... just convert a surface launched missile to an air launched one.

It could look exactly the same but the rear mounted solid rocket booster to get it moving could just be all fuel tank... when it is empty... drop it.. and go even faster...

I assumed it would do that role, because mig 41 seems it's going to be a plane for a completely different role with greater speed and altitude performance than mig 31.

I suspect the Russians see stealth in more practical terms... it shortens the effective range of tracking radars, but search radars of longer waves will still detect you... with their anti ship missiles they realised early on that with Hawkeyes and F-14s and AEGIS class cruisers with massive AESA radar arrays that the USN was going to spot Soviet missile carriers and missiles at extended ranges.... instead of making them stealthy, they made them fast and used numbers to overwhelm the defences.

Sometimes speed is better than stealth... of course sometimes it isn't...

You would want an SR-71 to be moving at Mach 7 or Mach 8 before being prepared to overfly Soviet territory in the 1980s, and it would need to be moving much faster these days to expect to survive. The introduction of S-350 and S-400 and S-500 and soon S-550 has closed that option off completely these days.

And su57 stealth seems very useful to do this

For how long?

How long before they start building OTH radars etc etc...

I would say a drone would be interesting because it could punch through an air front line and launch an air to air attack while other drones and aircraft monitor its progress and launch weapons at anything that opens fire to attack it...

- Without the need to engage AB
    - With substantial RCS advantage
    - With incomparably better supersonic manoeuvrability

Those are serious advantages over the MiG-31, which is vulnerable because of them.

Most US fighters and bombers don't have FLIR and the range of the R-37M means it wouldn't matter anyway... what US plane can detect a target over 300km away using IR only?

The outgoing MiG will be scanning for targets because it is not just intercepting aircraft, it also has the job of cleaning up any standoff weapons they might have already launched before it shoots the aircraft down... which means any RCS advantage is nullified with that big radar scanning.

The only important manouver for an interceptor is to climb and accelerate which is something the MiG-31 is very good at.

Faster and higher means further with any particular AAM, so it has benefits... it also means the interception takes place further from friendly airspace and being able to fly out at mach 2.4 and back at mach 2.4 means potentially more than one sortie against an incoming force...

I agree with most of the rest of what you say, but the MiG-31 is going to be replaced with an aircraft with engines likely optimised not only for high speed but probably also high speed supercruise too... with the engine operating more as ramjets than turbofans.

It's missiles are said to be capable of intercepting hypersonic weapons and it will likely have an ASAT mission as well.

Its missiles might be S-500 or S-550 based without their solid rocket boosters... air launched above 20km altitude and at speeds over mach 3 and these missiles will likely be getting more boost from the MiG-41 than they would be getting from their solid rocket boosters... plus the mobility of an aircraft means they would be more flexible and more mobile too.

As an interceptor it will be far more capable than the Su-57.

But being optimised for speed and range it will compliment the Su-57 beautifully...

It will be an enormous challenge for Mikoyan but I am pretty confident they can deliver.

I suspect the biggest challenge will be the new types of engines it will be needing to make it work...

welp,

If only they could make planes as good as america... what is it... 700 F-35s now.... and pretty soon they will start making some with less than 800 faults and design problems... so in a couple of years the customers might start getting what they are paying for...

optimistic that we might just see a prototype quite soon. Even a very blurry one! Laughing

That would be cool Cool but we know it is coming and that they plan to put it in to service by the end of the 2020s, so they will need some serious progress...

But then they have been planning a replacement for the MiG-31 for quite some time... most are bigger and longer ranged with more missiles and similar speed... the talk of mach 4 plus suggests they have a new engine in design that could make that happen...

The MiG-31 could certainly fly quite a bit faster with optimised new engines... but to operate at higher speeds a new design makes sense too.

Big_Gazza and TMA1 like this post

Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:34 am

The MiG-31 could certainly fly quite a bit faster with optimised new engines... but to operate at higher speeds a new design makes sense too.

Flying at Mach4+ would require some new thinking but some speculate that it will be based on the Mig-31 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:30 pm

So this year no 4 serial Su 57s were delivered as announced Neutral
    Mir
    Mir

Post  Mir Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:33 pm

Well look at the bright side. If it hasn't been delivered yet they will get even more than planned next year! Very Happy

Big_Gazza likes this post

Jeremy Sun

Post  Jeremy Sun Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:54 pm

Arrow wrote:So this year no 4 serial Su 57s were delivered as announced Neutral

I had doubts they can deliver 4 planes this year considering they have very little experience building such a high tech plane. Su-57 ain't no Su-35. It is disappointing, but expected.

Big_Gazza dislikes this post

dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:42 pm

UAC enterprises have fulfilled their obligations under the state defense order," the video says.

As specified in the corporation, the serial production of the fifth generation Su-57 fighters is currently increasing.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/13341457

This could only mean they delivered 4 SU-57. Calm down

GarryB, Big_Gazza, kvs, miketheterrible and Mir like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:52 am

Flying at Mach4+ would require some new thinking but some speculate that it will be based on the Mig-31 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I would think the real problem is the turbofan engines of the MiG-31... it is the rotational speed of the fan blades that limits the amount of thrust at high speeds.

Remember when flying at mach 2.4 the air going into the engine is restricted and limited so the airflow can be slowed down to subsonic speed going through the hot section where the incoming thin high altitude air is compressed and heated and fuel is added and burned to then blast out the back of the engine at supersonic speeds needed to keep the aircraft flying.

Even a simple ramjet has no moving blades, the air goes in to a narrowing tube and is compressed and fuel is added and it then blasts out the back creating thrust... the airflow still needs to be subsonic but no stress on spinning blades super fast to push the airflow through the engine.

With turbofan/ramjet engines the MiG-31 should be able to fly rather faster... mach 3 to mach 3.5, but I suspect a new shape and new design and new materials would be needed to crack mach 4.

The SR-71 shows long and narrow is a more likely shape for mach 3.2, though I don't think it will be that big it will certainly be bigger and use blended wing shapes to get body lift and reduce drag...

A very thin aspect wing means it will need leading edge surfaces that can be bent down and trailing edge surfaces that can be angled down to create a curved high lift wing for takeoff and landing, but when flat be very low drag for high speed flight...
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:20 am

dino00 wrote:UAC enterprises have fulfilled their obligations under the state defense order," the video says.

As specified in the corporation, the serial production of the fifth generation Su-57 fighters is currently increasing.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/13341457

This could only mean they delivered 4 SU-57. Calm down

Do you expect some members here to actually read?
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:03 pm

I just saw they increased the production rate.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:55 pm

We have an endless chicken little reflex when it comes to Russia. The sky is always falling.

GarryB, miketheterrible, LMFS, Hole and Mir like this post

Kiko
    Kiko

Post  Kiko Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:51 am

Published photo of new compact hypersonic missile that could be integrated into the Russian Su-57 fighter, 01.01.2022.

5th generation Russian fighter is getting closer and closer to being fully incorporated into the Russian Aerospace Force, but many of its features, including its arsenal, remain secret.

Still, some information about the missiles of this aircraft, shared on social networks, has been revealed.

A photo of a poster of the Russian Tactical Missiles Corporation shows the Su-57 fighter plane launching different types of missiles, among which Ostrota apparently arises – a small-sized hypersonic missile that is under development.

In the left part of the picture you can see air-to-air missiles that will be part of the arsenal of the Su-57: the long-range R-37 and the medium-range R-77.

Already the projectile on the right side, by its visual characteristics is very similar to the Russian-Indian missile BrahMos. However, there are those who disagree and consider that it is the hypersonic missile Ostrota, developed to combat ground targets.

At the moment, there is little information available on this armament. What is known is that, in addition to having great accuracy, it will have compact dimensions, which coincides with the image.

Specifically for this missile was developed ramjet engine, known as Izdelie 71.

It is estimated that this missile is used by Su-34 fighters and Tu-22M long-range bombers, although, taking into account its small dimensions, it is logical to assume that it can be placed in the inner compartment of the Su-57.

Yandex Translate from Portuguese

https://br.sputniknews.com/20220101/publicada-foto-de-novo-missil-hipersonico-compacto-que-podera-ser-integrado-no-caca-russo-su-57-20887217.html
    thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:32 am

getting tired showcase brahmos-ng still no showcase of the internal hypersonic missiles Larva-MD, and someone already fucked up the range on the K-77M which sources stated before was going to be 193kms.

miketheterrible likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:45 am

In the left part of the picture you can see air-to-air missiles that will be part of the arsenal of the Su-57: the long-range R-37 and the medium-range R-77.

The medium range missile in that image does not have grid fins so it is an R-77M, while the large AAM in that drawing does not have the fins and control surfaces of the R-37, it is a product 815, which is to replace the R-37M eventually.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:51 am

Sukhoi...

dino00 and LMFS like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:03 am

They are certainly developing a new hypersonic missile for the Su-57 and modern fighters to carry, but I suspect until they are ready to reveal it the Brahmos NG will be shown to represent it.

The shape is critical to flying at hypersonic speeds so I am pretty sure they want to keep the actual shape of their new hypersonic missiles secret until they know the US has worked it out for themselves... no point handing solutions to the US... let them work it out for themselves...
    mnztr

Post  mnztr Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:23 am

Mir wrote:

As Miketheterrible has indicated in his post above - much of the progress on the Mig-41 will be under wraps for now but I'm optimistic that we might just see a prototype quite soon. Even a very blurry one! Laughing

I think the first evidence we will have of a MIG-41 flight is when the US starts bitching about the militarization of space and how some Russian mission endangered peace loving satellites.

kvs and Hole like this post

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:46 am

HEAVY-DUTY RUMOR:

4 Su-57a supposedly delivered to VKS, waiting official confirmation

https://diana-mihailova.livejournal.com/7439065.html

George1 and dino00 like this post

calripson

Su-57 Stealth Fighter: News #8 - Page 6 Empty Su 57

Post  calripson Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:04 pm

How many supposed to be delivered in 2022?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:18 am