Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Syrian War: News #20

    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3860
    Points : 3946
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  flamming_python on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:06 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:How would I be a fan of him for posting something he said.

    I have made my position on him clear, he is a madman.

    He is to prepared for any Coup attempts most of the higher-ups in the military would need to be replaced, when he faked his coup to obtain total power he gutted the military command structure and installed nothing but die-hard loyalists.

    We did not try and coup him, The man faked a coup to eliminate all of his opposition in one single strike and assume total power. If my Government tried to do that, I'd have no problems saying we did but that would be a lie.

    The courts, the news etc all suffered this. This is why I said he IS the Government, he is the courts, he is the military.

    It would be impossible to coup him even if he suffered a bad defeat from the Russians, One thing Erdo is good at is playing his people he would turn it around easy.

    I do agree with you if we are given the chance to replace him we would.

    Well if you believe what he says, maybe you are a fan of him

    Who cares what he says, whether about his expectations of Russian involvement or anything else

    The other day he was saying that Turkey's borders are not based on treaties and international law, but physical and emotional limits.
    The man is living in his own reality by now.

    I really hope Turkey steps back from the brink, returns to the regulation of the conflict. Military conflict will ruin everything for everyone.

    And I don't even blame America here. They've supported him with rhetoric but they've been clear that NATO is not going to get involved.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3860
    Points : 3946
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  flamming_python on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:13 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

    I do agree with you if we are given the chance to replace him we would.
    Another reason why the Russians are treating him very carefully. The last thing they want would be a pro US replacement. It does give them a problem though.

    He is a nuisance

    The US wants him to be a nuisance against Russia and Syria
    And Russia wants him to be a nuisance against NATO

    This will likely go on for a while, until he takes it too far. And he's certainly getting a few signals now, that he's taking it too far from Moscow.
    avatar
    ATLASCUB

    Posts : 642
    Points : 652
    Join date : 2017-02-13

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  ATLASCUB on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:25 pm

    Free for all creates free for all problems.

    The conflict drags on.

    The more politicians talk the more it becomes clear that the conflict has only but one solution - a military solution.

    If the "smart" ones think that you can dupe the other side by talking sweet with words and slogans, with "meetings", "deals" and "agreements" into giving up their interest then they are clearly beyond a shadow of a doubt incompetent and stupid. But I digress, they're not stupid and incompetent in that regard, they know deep down such said fact very well... their mistake is telegraphing their intentions and disinterest in "going all-in" - assuming a stronger, forceful position that requires backing up when tested - because that resolve eventually gets tested. And Russia doesn't want to be tested. Turkey banks on the idea that Russia will not risk war with Turkey over Syria. The U.S banks on the same idea to stake its hold on 1/3 of Syria. It's kinda surprising we went from what in the beginning (Russian intervention in 2015) was American/Turk fear of going to war with Russia over Syria, to those very same powers now feeling safe in the belief that it's the Russians that fear engaging them in a war. When you lose that power over your opponents your negotiating position becomes extremely weak. Like I've said a million times... the Russians at the beginning of the conflict could have ran the tables and evicted all foreign powers from Syria if it played the bluff game well - at a political/economic cost but the appeasement crowd got the last word in the Kremlim. It didn't took long for the Turks and the Americans to figure out how far Russia was willing to go - balk after balk. Now Russia is in a worse position, because the other belligerent sides have their stakes firm and deep inside Syrian soil - whereas in the beginning, they did not have official boots on the ground.

    Thus we get the free-for-all. Only the imposition of strength and force will make the other belligerent side back down. Humans don't change.

    This is a perfect case study of how not to intervene. But but Russia is "saving money" .... but but Syria is insignificant. Can't fix stupid. 2020, poised for 2021.


    Last edited by ATLASCUB on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 1725
    Points : 1715
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:34 pm

    Reposting someone's words is believing them? Sorry but I fail to see that logic.

    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3860
    Points : 3946
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  flamming_python on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:54 pm

    ATLASCUB wrote:Free for all creates free for all problems.

    The conflict drags on.

    The more politicians talk the more it becomes clear that the conflict has only but one solution - a military solution.

    If the "smart" ones think that you can dupe the other side by talking sweet with words and slogans, with "meetings", "deals" and "agreements" into giving up their interest then they are clearly beyond a shadow of a doubt incompetent and stupid. But I digress, they're not stupid and incompetent in that regard, they know deep down such said fact very well... their mistake is telegraphing their intentions and disinterest in "going all-in", assuming a stronger, forceful position that requires backing up when tested - because that resolve eventually gets tested. And Russia doesn't want to be tested. Turkey banks of the idea that Russia will not risk war with Turkey over Syria. The U.S banks on the same to stake its hold on 1/3 of Syria. It's kinda surprising we went from what in the beginning (Russian intervention) was American/Turk fear of engaging the Russians in a war, to those very same powers now feeling safe it's the Russians that fear engaging them in a war. When you lose that power over your opponents your negotiating position becomes extremely weak. Like I've said a million times... the Russians at the beginning of the conflict could have ran the tables and evicted all foreign powers from Syria if it played the bluff game well - at a political/economic cost but the appeasement crowd got the last word in the Kremlim. It didn't took long for the Turks and the Americans to figure out how far Russia was willing to go. Now Russia is in a worse position, because the other belligerent sides have their stakes firm and deep in Syrian soil - whereas in the beginning, they did not.

    Thus we get the free-for-all. Only the imposition of strength and force will make the other belligerent side back down. Humans don't change.

    This is a perfect case study of how not to intervene. But but Russia is "saving money" . but but Syria is insignificant. Can't fix stupid.

    Yeah

    Except at the beggining of the conflict, the Syrian government controlled less than a 1/3rd of Syria, albeit 50% of its population.
    Now they have full control of nearly 2/3rds of it, and have forces in another 20%.

    Whatever Russia is doing, it's doing it right.
    Now the time has come for Russia to show its cards, so be it. It wouldn't have ended any other way. And if Russia played it too strong earlier on, Turkey and the US would have been more inclined to confront it, as they had a considerably stronger position in Syria at the time.
    Russia didn't push Turkey when the FSA and assorted Islamists controlled half of Syria, but only now - when they control only 10-15% of it and the strongest Islamist groups have already been devastated, with Erdogan even actually unwittingly helping out and sending off a couple thousand to Libya too.
    Russia didn't send patrols into the US's zone of influence in Syria, when they had forces over 1/3rd of it, but only now, when they're present in only 1/6th of it and the local's trust in them has been shattered.

    Russia knows when to lie low and work hard in the background, and when it's time to up the game. Quite well played really. The only mistake they really made was the one recently, when they allow the SAA to kill Turkish troops or even took part in such operations themselves. This will dampen the until now strengthening relations between the Russian military and the Kemalist faction in Turkey. But perhaps, there was no other way to call Erdogan's bluster.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5252
    Points : 5244
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:09 pm

    Elizabeth Tsurkov
    @Elizrael
    ·
    4h
    Turkish special forces launched an operation to recapture the town or al-Nairab near Saraqeb, Idlib. The operation is supported by Turkish MRLS fire. A Russian drone was downed, possibly again by Turkish special forces using MANPADs.

    ...
    3 hours later
    ...


    ELINT News
    @ELINTNews
    ·
    34 min
    #BREAKING: Turkish Ministry of Defence confirms 2 Turkish soldiers killed and 5 wounded after airstrike hit their position in Idlib
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2783
    Points : 2783
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Hole on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:13 pm

    And russian Su-24M bombing the shit out of them.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5252
    Points : 5244
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:15 pm

    Not confirmed that it was russians. But we ay see some su-34 launching kh-31 soon.



    *Walter Bloomberg
    @DeItaOne
    ·
    41 min
    TURKEY ASKS U.S. FOR PATRIOT MISSILES TO DETER RUSSIA
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5252
    Points : 5244
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:16 pm


    Rebecca Rambar
    @RebeccaRambar
    ·
    30 min

    Ria said "Pro-Turkish militants, with the support of Turkish artillery, broke through the defenses of the Syrian army in one of the sections, Russian aviation struck the erupted terrorists"
    avatar
    ATLASCUB

    Posts : 642
    Points : 652
    Join date : 2017-02-13

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  ATLASCUB on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:54 pm

    flamming_python wrote:
    ATLASCUB wrote:Free for all creates free for all problems.

    The conflict drags on.

    The more politicians talk the more it becomes clear that the conflict has only but one solution - a military solution.

    If the "smart" ones think that you can dupe the other side by talking sweet with words and slogans, with "meetings", "deals" and "agreements" into giving up their interest then they are clearly beyond a shadow of a doubt incompetent and stupid. But I digress, they're not stupid and incompetent in that regard, they know deep down such said fact very well... their mistake is telegraphing their intentions and disinterest in "going all-in", assuming a stronger, forceful position that requires backing up when tested - because that resolve eventually gets tested. And Russia doesn't want to be tested. Turkey banks of the idea that Russia will not risk war with Turkey over Syria. The U.S banks on the same to stake its hold on 1/3 of Syria. It's kinda surprising we went from what in the beginning (Russian intervention) was American/Turk fear of engaging the Russians in a war, to those very same powers now feeling safe it's the Russians that fear engaging them in a war. When you lose that power over your opponents your negotiating position becomes extremely weak. Like I've said a million times... the Russians at the beginning of the conflict could have ran the tables and evicted all foreign powers from Syria if it played the bluff game well - at a political/economic cost but the appeasement crowd got the last word in the Kremlim. It didn't took long for the Turks and the Americans to figure out how far Russia was willing to go. Now Russia is in a worse position, because the other belligerent sides have their stakes firm and deep in Syrian soil - whereas in the beginning, they did not.

    Thus we get the free-for-all. Only the imposition of strength and force will make the other belligerent side back down. Humans don't change.

    This is a perfect case study of how not to intervene. But but Russia is "saving money" . but but Syria is insignificant. Can't fix stupid.

    Yeah

    Except at the beggining of the conflict, the Syrian government controlled less than a 1/3rd of Syria, albeit 50% of its population.
    Now they have full control of nearly 2/3rds of it, and have forces in another 20%.

    Whatever Russia is doing, it's doing it right.
    Now the time has come for Russia to show its cards, so be it. It wouldn't have ended any other way. And if Russia played it too strong earlier on, Turkey and the US would have been more inclined to confront it, as they had a considerably stronger position in Syria at the time.
    Russia didn't push Turkey when the FSA and assorted Islamists controlled half of Syria, but only now - when they control only 10-15% of it and the strongest Islamist groups have already been devastated, with Erdogan even actually unwittingly helping out and sending off a couple thousand to Libya too.
    Russia didn't send patrols into the US's zone of influence in Syria, when they had forces over 1/3rd of it, but only now, when they're present in only 1/6th of it and the local's trust in them has been shattered.

    Russia knows when to lie low and work hard in the background, and when it's time to up the game. Quite well played really. The only mistake they really made was the one recently, when they allow the SAA to kill Turkish troops or even took part in such operations themselves. This will dampen the until now strengthening relations between the Russian military and the Kemalist faction in Turkey. But perhaps, there was no other way to call Erdogan's bluster.

    What revisionist history are you talking about? When Russia intervened it was HTS and the Islamic state that had control of that land. There was literally 0 chance for Turkey or the Americans to make a case for a land deployment of troops at that point in time to root them out. Not the least because they were not interested in driving them back at all. That brief window Russia had, before ISIS weakened and became dismembered was their shot at a proper, clean intervention - with clear red lines about Syria's territorial integrity and the extent to which Russian troops would protect Syrian borders to enforce such red lines. They didn't take the right decisions then so they've to deal with this mess now. The U.S doesn't want to give up 1/3 of Syria and the Turks want a slice up north.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5252
    Points : 5244
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:15 pm


    Babak Taghvaee (Backup)
    @BabakTaghvaee1
    ·
    24 min
    #BREAKING:Video shows #Russia Air Force's Su-24M bombing #Turkish Army troops in #Qaminas, Eastern #Idlib countryside minutes ago. As a result of this airstrike, two Turkish soliders died & five others got injured. This is the first #RuAF airstrike at #Turkey.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 4403
    Points : 4381
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  miketheterrible on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:15 pm

    Isos wrote:Not confirmed that it was russians. But we ay see some su-34 launching kh-31 soon.



    *Walter Bloomberg
    @DeItaOne
    ·
    41 min
    TURKEY ASKS U.S. FOR PATRIOT MISSILES TO DETER RUSSIA

    And here we go, Turkey running begging to the United States.

    If they use those patriots on Russian planes, they will either be jammed or will be destroyed. Especially if the Russian jets are in Syrian airspace.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8953
    Points : 9035
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm


    Russian MoD: “We contacted Ankara. Turkey has stopped shelling the SAA”

    https://www.bbc.com/turkce/haberler-turkiye-51575995


    "Sky’s Syrian cameraman @ahmedrahhal2020 witnessed Russian air strike on Turkish position at Qmenas #idlib Missile landed 2-3 metres away from him starting a fire. Then they dropped a cluster bomb. He’s in hospital getting treatment and out of danger #Syria"

    https://twitter.com/AlexCrawfordSky/status/1230509839924760580/
    avatar
    Vann7

    Posts : 4582
    Points : 4686
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Vann7 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:23 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Russian MoD: “We contacted Ankara. Turkey has stopped shelling the SAA”

    https://www.bbc.com/turkce/haberler-turkiye-51575995


    "Sky’s Syrian cameraman @ahmedrahhal2020 witnessed Russian air strike on Turkish position at Qmenas #idlib Missile landed 2-3 metres away from him starting a fire. Then they dropped a cluster bomb. He’s in hospital getting treatment and out of danger #Syria"

    https://twitter.com/AlexCrawfordSky/status/1230509839924760580/


    Russian Air Force strikes repel militant attack on Syrian government army in Idlib
    – Defense Ministry



    https://www.rt.com/news/481299-russian-airforce-syria-idlib/


    So not that Russia was not going to strike at Turkey army positions? Wink

    Putin is weak .. but the Russian army is not.. so don't mix both... For sure the russian army
    understand well putin indecisiveness and use that for their advantage.. because same way he will not
    give an order to strike turkey army.. same way he will not betray his own military ,when they do their job
    to defend the syrian army..  So the Russian general staff policy is to use force.. when there is no other option..

    What is interesting in all this ,is that after this incident..is  that is more clear now what are the rules of engagement..of both sides..

    Erdogan ,strategy ,was to help the offensive of their terrorist , on SAA by using turkey military outpost..
    to strike at Syrian army positions to help their backed terrorist to capture SAA territory .  
    but that tactic had a major failure.. doing that without having control of the airspace and securing properly
    their troops.. is a very dumb move..  

    Russian military rule of combats.. are this way..
    they did not strike at the turkey outpost.. but.. did bombed to hell their advancing rebels.. and
    Russia says it called turkey military ,to stop attacking syrian troops ,because they will respond if don't
    stop.. and they stopped..  Wink  

    Russia airforce could have easily either bombed that artillery positions ,or just disable it ,with emp attack ,
    or guide syrian army artillery using their airforce...  or simply guide Syrian airforce where to launch their provided guided air to ground missiles..  

    So like i told before Russia have plenty of options ,to twist the arms of turkey army.. Erdogan options
    are way more limited.. and they will never have a chance to provide close air ground support.. to their troops.
    So turkey new operations can slow for sure the SAA but not enough to make a difference or stop their advance.

    Erdogan claims their soldiers were strike..  so i suppose were turkey special forces guiding the assault on SAA.
    because there are no reports of any outpost destroyed.. which the Syrian army could have easily done.

    why Turkey stop shelling with artillery at SAA positions ? likely because Russia military show a video to turkey of the cameras of their airforce aiming at turkey artillery positions , and warned them ,that if they don't stop shelling SAA positions ,with journalist and russian advisors there ,they will respond to the artillery attacking their positions. and so Turkey army was forced to stop the shelling.   Cool

    if they don't stop ,will have been those artillery positions a sitting duck ,very easy to neutralize for Russia or SAA with a small mortar attack to disable the artillery or a big missile to completely destroy the base..






    Last edited by Vann7 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

    Posts : 966
    Points : 974
    Join date : 2016-09-19
    Location : Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  ultimatewarrior on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm

    Some Turkish soldiers killed by Russians in Idlib today.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

    Posts : 966
    Points : 974
    Join date : 2016-09-19
    Location : Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  ultimatewarrior on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:24 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:
    Isos wrote:Not confirmed that it was russians. But we ay see some su-34 launching kh-31 soon.



    *Walter Bloomberg
    @DeItaOne
    ·
    41 min
    TURKEY ASKS U.S. FOR PATRIOT MISSILES TO DETER RUSSIA

    And here we go, Turkey running begging to the United States.

    If they use those patriots on Russian planes, they will either be jammed or will be destroyed.  Especially if the Russian jets are in Syrian airspace.

    Kh-31P Krypton DEAD missiles.
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior

    Posts : 966
    Points : 974
    Join date : 2016-09-19
    Location : Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  ultimatewarrior on Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:25 pm

    Hole wrote:And russian Su-24M bombing the shit out of them.

    Turks only bully weaks. Turks don't dare shoot Russians.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8953
    Points : 9035
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:10 pm


    Some quality salt from Julian himself Cool

    https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1230526700003479553

    We now know that #Russia will not allow the #TurkishArmy and its allies to recapture #Idlib province & free the besieged Turkish observation posts.
    Rebels beat the #Assad army, recaptured #Nayrab, but Russia simply did not stop bombing them, forcing Turkey to order a withdrawal.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5252
    Points : 5244
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 pm

    Russians should start flying some tupolev above the black sea as a reminder ...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8953
    Points : 9035
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:18 pm

    Isos wrote:Russians should start flying some tupolev above the black sea as a reminder ...

    They already did yesterday


    avatar
    Vann7

    Posts : 4582
    Points : 4686
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Vann7 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:22 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Some quality salt from Julian himself Cool

    https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1230526700003479553

    We now know that #Russia will not allow the #TurkishArmy and its allies to recapture #Idlib province & free the besieged Turkish observation posts.
    Rebels beat the #Assad army, recaptured #Nayrab, but Russia simply did not stop bombing them, forcing Turkey to order a withdrawal.


    "Beat the assad army" ... lol1

    he obviously don't understand the term tactical retreat that is done temporarily ,to avoid casualties
    from turkey artillery.. they retreated temporarily from the place turkey was bombing and russian airforce
    replaced their job temporarily until they all wiped.. and they return back.. . only 5 syrian army soldiers wounded..
    does not equal a "Defeat". retreating temporarily for a small time is neither a defeat.. any more than doing a step back in boxing is not.. simply it was an evasive temporary move.. nothing more and nothing else. but they keep fighting.. for sure SAA artillery and Russian airforce hammered their positions and forced the
    terrorist forces to abort their mission.   Cool


    IF US give patriots missiles to ERdogan will not do any difference.. if they used against Russia ,
    their gloves will be off and will start striking at turkey army non stop and strike at american patriots too..
    so is unlikely the pentagon will give them patriots ,to be positioned so close to syrian border ,to get them later
    destroyed.. bad PR for the american defense industry if the patriots easily defeated.. and bad for their future sales.. so if they provide air defenses will be less advanced like stinger missiles or air to air missiles for their
    f-16.. but if they do that.. erdogan will face major backslash economically and militarily from Russia.



    more news . Smile


    Turkish-backed militant attack in Idlib was doomed to fail – why launch it?




    Fighters from the Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham terrorist group, backed by Turkish forces, carried out an attack against the Syrian Army that was doomed from the start. The main question now is, why?
    News reports out of Syria’s Idlib Province indicated that a joint operation involving the Turkish Army and fighters from the Salafist jihadist militant group Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) has been initiated against positions of the Syrian Army in and around the village of Nayrab, which had fallen to Damascus’ forces in the past days.

    HTS units, backed by Turkish artillery, were able to overrun several Syrian Army positions, capturing a number of armored vehicles, before being driven back by airstrikes delivered by the Russian Air Force. The Turkish media has reported that at least two Turkish soldiers were killed in the fighting, and several more wounded, though the Turks say they were hit by Syrian, not Russian warplanes.

    ALSO ON RT.COM
    Russian warplanes repel attack on Syrian army in Idlib as militants launch offensive aided by Turkish artillery — Moscow
    There has been collaboration between the Turkish military and HTS on the battlefield before, with Turkish artillery firing in support of limited counterattacks conducted by HTS units equipped with Turkish armored vehicles and weaponry. As in the case with the Nayrab battle, these attacks enjoyed brief success, before being beaten back.

    What differentiates the previous failed counterattacks from the Nayrab operation is the presence of Turkish troops fighting alongside the HTS fighters, and the recent statements by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatening to launch a major offensive designed to throw the Syrian Army back to positions held at the time of the September 2018 Sochi agreement. At first blush, the Nayrab battle appears to represent the manifestation of Erdogan’s threat, the initial battle of a larger campaign designed to punish the Syrian Army and its Russian allies.

    There is one problem in such a scenario – the Russian Air Force. Russia has made it clear that it will not permit Turkey to launch air operations in Idlib. Moreover, the fact that the Russian Air Force was employed immediately to attack and defeat the Turkish/HTS offensive shows that Moscow has not ceded its control of Syrian air space. So long as Russian aircraft are operating in Idlib, no offensive action against the Syrian Army stands a chance of succeeding.

    READ MORE
    1Turkey faces strategic defeat in Idlib after failing to live up to its commitments on Syria
    The Turkish military is fully aware of this reality, which begs the question: why launch an attack that was doomed to fail? One of the main unanswered questions for Turkey was how the Russian Air Force would respond to any attack involving Turkish troops and equipment. That question has now been answered. In carrying out the Nayrab attack, Turkey has escalated the situation almost to the level of direct Turkish-Russian combat. In the immediate aftermath of the Russian airstrikes against Turkish/HTS forces, the Turkish government issued a request to the US for Patriot anti-air missiles to help defend Idlib air space from the Russian Air Force. It is highly unlikely that such a request would be granted.

    More probable is that, by engaging in such an escalation, Turkey might be gambling on Russia seeking to de-escalate to avoid any long-term damage to Turkish-Russian relations. One objective may be to obtain a new ceasefire agreement which could involve joint Turkish-Russian military patrols, similar to those underway in the Turkish-occupied Kurdish territory in northeastern Syria.

    While Russia may yet accede to a ceasefire, it would not do so unless Turkey were to provide guarantees that the HTS fighters in Idlib were disarmed and removed. Void of that, Russia has made it clear it will continue to support the Syrian Army in its efforts to restore control over the totality of Syrian sovereign territory. Unless Turkey is willing to risk full-scale war with Russia over Idlib, it appears Erdogan’s bluff has been called, yet again.


    https://www.rt.com/op-ed/481307-turkey-idlib-russia-terrorists/

    by : Scott Ritter
    is a former US Marine Corps intelligence officer. He served in the Soviet Union as an inspector implementing the INF Treaty, in General Schwarzkopf’s staff during the Gulf War, and from 1991-1998 as a UN weapons inspector. Follow him on Twitter @RealScottRitter



    Last edited by Vann7 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 5252
    Points : 5244
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:28 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Isos wrote:Russians should start flying some tupolev above the black sea as a reminder ...

    They already did yesterday



    Any source ?
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 7353
    Points : 7430
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:40 pm

    Isos wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Isos wrote:Russians should start flying some tupolev above the black sea as a reminder ...

    They already did yesterday



    Any source ?
    Two Tu-22M and fighter escort flew for 9 hours and 4500 miles from their base and around the Black Sea was the report. See if I can find it.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2783
    Points : 2783
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Hole on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:46 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Russian MoD: “We contacted Ankara. Turkey has stopped shelling the SAA”

    https://www.bbc.com/turkce/haberler-turkiye-51575995


    "Sky’s Syrian cameraman @ahmedrahhal2020 witnessed Russian air strike on Turkish position at Qmenas #idlib Missile landed 2-3 metres away from him starting a fire. Then they dropped a cluster bomb. He’s in hospital getting treatment and out of danger #Syria"

    https://twitter.com/AlexCrawfordSky/status/1230509839924760580/

    A "cameraman" in Terrorist-Held Idlib. It seems Sky is supporting Al-Kaida.

    The guy is out of danger? In a hospital? Sky and BBC are telling the whole world that evil russians are bombing hospitals day and night, how can the guy be safe in one? Shocked
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2783
    Points : 2783
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 44
    Location : Merkelland

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Hole on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:48 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Some quality salt from Julian himself Cool

    https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1230526700003479553

    We now know that #Russia will not allow the #TurkishArmy and its allies to recapture #Idlib province & free the besieged Turkish observation posts.
    Rebels beat the #Assad army, recaptured #Nayrab, but Russia simply did not stop bombing them, forcing Turkey to order a withdrawal.

    The same guy that screams the whole time that evil russians are in eastern "Ukraine" but Turks invading another country is fine. Mad

    Sponsored content

    Syrian War: News #20 - Page 38 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #20

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 am