Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

5th gen Husky-class nuclear submarine

Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

5th gen Husky-class nuclear submarine - Page 7 Empty Re: 5th gen Husky-class nuclear submarine

Post  Big_Gazza on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:05 am

Given that lead-bismuth eutectic melts at 123.5 deg C, i don't see why the reactor cannot be equipped with a heat tracing system to restart it after a shutdown (eg for maintenance purposes). Something like a hot-oil system where the reactor has a externally-fed re-heat exchanger and small-bore tubing is welded to the coolant lines and where an external hot-oil supply system provides the heated oil media at 200-250 deg C. Its well-established technology for temperature maintenance in bitumen/asphalt storage and handling systems.

I'd like nothing more than the Husky (or at least some of them) to be provided with a modernised version of the OK-550/BM-40A reactors of the Pr 705 Lira/Alfa SSNs. IMHO its a technology that needs to be revisited.
    kvs
    kvs

5th gen Husky-class nuclear submarine - Page 7 Empty Re: 5th gen Husky-class nuclear submarine

Post  kvs on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 am

Big_Gazza wrote:Given that lead-bismuth eutectic melts at 123.5 deg C, i don't see why the reactor cannot be equipped with a heat tracing system to restart it after a shutdown (eg for maintenance purposes). Something like a hot-oil system where the reactor has a externally-fed re-heat exchanger and small-bore tubing is welded to the coolant lines and where an external hot-oil supply system provides the heated oil media at 200-250 deg C. Its well-established technology for temperature maintenance in bitumen/asphalt storage and handling systems.

I'd like nothing more than the Husky (or at least some of them) to be provided with a modernised version of the OK-550/BM-40A reactors of the Pr 705 Lira/Alfa SSNs. IMHO its a technology that needs to be revisited.

All the arguments against the lead-bismuth coolant are BS and engineered to make excuses for the criminal scrapping of the Lira. The scrapping
    of the Lira was obvious brown nosing by Gorbie and Yeltsin to their new bosses in Washington. Washington refused to believe such tech
    was possible and naturally demanded it scrapping as tribute of submission.

123.5C remelting of lead-bismuth is a joke considering the low heat capacity involved compared to water. Supposedly, if the coolant froze
    it would reduce the war readiness of the submarine. They can re-design the reactor to operate in an "idle" mode to keep the coolant liquid
    without any more bitching about it being such a terminal pain.
    x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 am

Big_Gazza wrote:Given that lead-bismuth eutectic melts at 123.5 deg C, i don't see why the reactor cannot be equipped with a heat tracing system to restart it after a shutdown (eg for maintenance purposes). Something like a hot-oil system where the reactor has a externally-fed re-heat exchanger and small-bore tubing is welded to the coolant lines and where an external hot-oil supply system provides the heated oil media at 200-250 deg C. Its well-established technology for temperature maintenance in bitumen/asphalt storage and handling systems.

I heard rumors on balancers(russian speaking defense forum with a lot of insiders), that there were experiments on shutting down and then reheating/restarting the reactor from a cold state and that there was indeed success, however, the class itself was generally not very viable anymore. The reactor tech itself I believe very much is, as you can get a far smaller reactor for the same power, which is always incredibly useful for a submarine.

This was supposed to be a "AWACS" type submarine for the interceptor class(Lira/Alfa), this idea is quite worth revisiting in my opinion with more up to date sonar/non-sonar detection methods and combined with underwater unmanned platforms.

5th gen Husky-class nuclear submarine - Page 7 Eq9g9q10
    mnztr

Post  mnztr on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:56 am

I find it had to belive the Russians would not continue to develop such earth shattering tech as the liquid metal reactor. It should actually be much quieter and safer then a pressureised water reactor that operates under massive pressure and if you are gonna get blasted with super heated steam or molten lead its no real difference. The main diff is the pressures are much lower, the amount of heat transfer per cc of liquid metal is MUCH higher so you can pump much less. Leaks are self fixing. On shutdown you can just let the metal drain into a sump which is electrically heated. I suspect the nuke cruise missile or doomsday torpedo may have one.
    x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 am

I think the main issue was with the fuel assemblies being in the liquid metal itself which likely posed significant issues with the control arms.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr on Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 am

x_54_u43 wrote:I think the main issue was with the fuel assemblies being in the liquid metal itself which likely posed significant issues with the control arms.

By all accounts the reactors were quite reliable in operations, its only the shut down, start up cycle that caused logistical headaches.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:59 am

Is it true the first Huskey class will be the SSBN variant?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:51 am

mnztr wrote:Is it true the first Huskey class will be the SSBN variant?

Nope

AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:30 pm

What??... why?
    The Borei's already fulfills that role, if anything Russia needs some SSGN variants.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:44 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:

What??... why?
    The Borei's already fulfills that role, if anything Russia needs some SSGN variants.

That's the Yasen's role.

Husky will be a SSN to fight other subs.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Isos wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:

What??... why?

That's the Yasen's role.

Yasen is SSGN

Borei is SSBN
    mnztr

Post  mnztr on Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:07 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    AlfaT8 wrote:

What??... why?

That's the Yasen's role.

Yasen is SSGN

Borei is SSBN

The plan is for Husky to be the basis for all classis just like the Columbia class will be based on the Virginia class. Considering the first Huskey will emerge after a bunch of Borei AND Yassens have been laid down it makes sense it will be an SSN, unless they have decided that purebred SSNs are not really worth building any more as an SSGN can do that and a while lot more. In fact anything is possible
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 am

mnztr wrote:.....

The plan is for Husky to be the basis for all classis just like the Columbia class will be based on the Virginia class.

Columbia will not be based on Virginia, they abandoned that approach in favor of completely new design

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 29, 2020 10:03 pm