Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+50
x_54_u43
Broski
franco
thegopnik
Begome
marcellogo
owais.usmani
AlfaT8
Big_Gazza
JohninMK
nero
william.boutros
Azi
Isos
PapaDragon
Hole
Arrow
Viktor
dino00
LMFS
miketheterrible
magnumcromagnon
GunshipDemocracy
Ivanov673
hoom
Mike E
navyfield
Deep Throat
Vann7
NickM
Mindstorm
mack8
Sujoy
Stealthflanker
flamming_python
gaurav
TheArmenian
Admin
KomissarBojanchev
George1
Morpheus Eberhardt
medo
Cyberspec
GarryB
Rpg type 7v
sepheronx
TR1
SOC
xeno
Austin
54 posters

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System

mack8
    mack8

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 6 Empty Re: S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System

Post  mack8 Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Not sure if i missed it, but is there any info whether the Vityaz radar is a PESA or AESA?
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:32 pm

mack8 wrote:Not sure if i missed it, but is there any info whether the Vityaz radar is a PESA or AESA?
    PESA.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:01 pm

From MAKS-2013

NickM
    NickM

Post  NickM Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Mindstorm wrote:Obviously S-350 Vityaz will replace S-300P in ПВО and it , in comparison, will offer also enormously increased performances (range of engagement included).
    The S 350 still pales into insignificance when compared to the Patriot for the simple reason that Patriot has far better ACCELERATION than the S 350 .
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:14 am

NickM wrote:
    Mindstorm wrote:Obviously S-350 Vityaz will replace S-300P in ПВО and it , in comparison, will offer also enormously increased performances (range of engagement included).
    The S 350 still pales into insignificance when compared to the Patriot for the simple reason that Patriot has far better ACCELERATION than the S 350 .
    Which Patriot you are talking about ? Against the ERINT it has equal performance.. and perhaps 9M96 family is superior by having more maneuverability (60 G) Vs the ERINT (50 G)

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 am

There is something extremely interesting about Vityaz sytem - brutally to say at least Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

According to experts, the key factor determining the effectiveness of the S-350E is its ability to simultaneously reflect the impacts of different types of air attack from any direction (round) at all altitudes of their flight, from extremely low to greater heights in all weather conditions, day and night, in difficult noise conditions.
    This is achieved through the use of air defense missile systems developed for the first time in our country fundamentally new information tool - multifunction radar, which is able to simultaneously perform the functions of radar detection and accurate target tracking radar and anti-aircraft missiles.

ALMAZ-ANTE LINK

once again

This is achieved through the use of air defense missile systems developed for the first time in our country fundamentally new information tool - multifunction radar, which is able to simultaneously perform the functions of radar detection and accurate target tracking radar and anti-aircraft missiles

Meaning this sytem will have two modes of operations fundamentally different.

1. Search radar (1RL123 or any other in operational service or that will come) performs search function and alerts 50N6 radar which guides missiles to its targets.

2. There is no search radar. Search function as well as firing function are performed simultaneously (with two 50N6 per battery rottating in a synchronizing mode)

Implications on the battlefield are tremendous
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:05 am

Viktor wrote:

This is achieved through the use of air defense missile systems developed for the first time in our country fundamentally new information tool - multifunction radar, which is able to simultaneously perform the functions of radar detection and accurate target tracking radar and anti-aircraft missiles
    Meaning this sytem will have two modes of operations fundamentally different.

1. Search radar (1RL123 or any other in operational service or that will come) performs search function and alerts 50N6 radar which guides missiles to its targets.

2. There is no search radar. Search function as well as firing function are performed simultaneously (with two 50N6 per battery rottating in a synchronizing mode)

Implications on the battlefield are tremendous
    Well multifunction approach is not new.. the MPQ-53 did that, the HQ-9 Battery also did same stuff.. combining search and track function in one platform.

That info however indicate that the 50N6 might operates in C-Band (5-8 Ghz) frequency..It's a compromise between search and tracking applications. I expect some clever time management method to balance between search and track processing.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:30 am

Stealthflanker wrote:Well multifunction approach is not new.. the MPQ-53 did that, the HQ-9 Battery also did same stuff.. combining search and track function in one platform.
    It's not even exactly new in Russia. The 30N6 is fully capable of operating in a search mode and prosecuting targets. The difference is that when you interface with a 36D6 or 64N6 you get much better situational awareness. The HQ-9 is probably the same way, as it also employs off-board EW radars, including a new 64N6 clone. Plus, the advantage to using off-board target acquisition sensors is that the engagement radar can stay out of lock-on mode until needed, remaining in search mode to provide midcourse corrections. Far less reaction time for the target.

NickM wrote:The S 350 still pales into insignificance when compared to the Patriot for the simple reason that Patriot has far better ACCELERATION than the S 350 .
    Don't let the fact that the S-300, S-400, and S-350 missiles have higher peak velocities get in your way or anything.
    Austin

Post  Austin Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 am

Viktor wrote:
    mack8 wrote:Not sure if i missed it, but is there any info whether the Vityaz radar is a PESA or AESA?
    PESA.
    Hybrid PESA isnt it ?
    NickM
    NickM

Post  NickM Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 am

Stealthflanker wrote:Which Patriot you are talking about ? Against the ERINT it has equal performance.. and perhaps 9M96 family is superior by having more maneuverability (60 G) Vs the ERINT (50 G)
    PAC 3 . I am talking about acceleration & not velocity . The PAC 3 has better acceleration than any other SAM .
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:06 pm

GarryB wrote:
    BTW looking at the videos of the radar for the Vityaz does anyone know what the small rear facing box on the base of the turning radar is?

ie what is this:

S-350 "Vityaz" SAM System - Page 6 Untitl10
    Fairing of the feed for the space-fed array.

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:48 pm

SOC wrote:
    Stealthflanker wrote:Well multifunction approach is not new.. the MPQ-53 did that, the HQ-9 Battery also did same stuff.. combining search and track function in one platform.
    It's not even exactly new in Russia.  The 30N6 is fully capable of operating in a search mode and prosecuting targets.  The difference is that when you interface with a 36D6 or 64N6 you get much better situational awareness.  The HQ-9 is probably the same way, as it also employs off-board EW radars, including a new 64N6 clone.  Plus, the advantage to using off-board target acquisition sensors is that the engagement radar can stay out of lock-on mode until needed, remaining in search mode to provide midcourse corrections.  Far less reaction time for the target.
    - Thing is that now those functions are performed by two 50N6 simultaneously covering 360° searching for targets while guiding SAM on those targets. No MPQ-53, 30N6 or
    HQ-9 battery has such ability - not even close.

- Certainly S-350 will have its dedicated search radar per battery but it remaines this uber waffe mode in case of need.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:Fairing of the feed for the space-fed array.
    Correct, and most of the S-300/400 radars use space feeds. The one on the 30N6 is basically identical to this one, with the one on the 64N6 being a feedhorn assembly.

Viktor wrote:- Thing is that now those functions are performed by two 50N6 simultaneously covering 360° searching for targets while guiding SAM on those targets.
    I'm not sure that passes the logic test. I'd have to think about how this would work geometrically. One radar cannot cover 180 degrees, the phased array cannot look directly sideways. They'll have to rotate some to either side, which should be workable as long as they can keep targets in their FOVs.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:19 pm

SOC wrote:
    Viktor wrote:- Thing is that now those functions are performed by two 50N6 simultaneously covering 360° searching for targets while guiding SAM on those targets.
    I'm not sure that passes the logic test.  I'd have to think about how this would work geometrically.  One radar cannot cover 180 degrees, the phased array cannot look directly sideways.  They'll have to rotate some to either side, which should be workable as long as they can keep targets in their FOVs.
    The one doing the search would be mechanically rotating, similar to the 64N6 family's search mode.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 am

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    GarryB wrote:
    BTW looking at the videos of the radar for the Vityaz does anyone know what the small rear facing box on the base of the turning radar is?

ie what is this:

Fairing of the feed for the space-fed array.
    Actually this fairing incorporates two linearly polarized feed systems, with at least the receive monopulse feed system having multiple horns and the polarization for one of the feed systems being horizontal with the other being vertical. In addition to these feed systems, there are a polarization-sensitive reflector and a quarter-wave plate under the fairing. Together, these components form a transmit/receive feed system obviating the need for a conventional duplexer, while at the same time providing an extremely high performance level.

You can read a more detailed description by David K Barton for the 30N6 family in

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Russian-SAM-Radars-DKB.html

Caveat: I am not vouching, at all, for the Air Power Australia or the Microwave Journal.

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:39 am

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:The one doing the search would be mechanically rotating, similar to the 64N6 family's search mode.
    As stated in the article both are able to perform searching and shooting functions simultaneously.

SOC wrote:
    I'm not sure that passes the logic test.  I'd have to think about how this would work geometrically.  One radar cannot cover 180 degrees, the phased array cannot look directly sideways.  They'll have to rotate some to either side, which should be workable as long as they can keep targets in their FOVs.
    Or have sufficient rotation per minute Very Happy in order to feed up information to the missile.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 am

Viktor wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:The one doing the search would be mechanically rotating, similar to the 64N6 family's search mode.
    As stated in the article both are able to perform searching and shooting functions simultaneously.
    I am assuming that you are referring to the article at the following link which you had provided earlier.

http://www.almaz-antey.ru/about/press/production/1574.html

My knowledge of Russian language is extremely poor; so I have used Yandex to translate the relevant passage which I have reproduced in the following.

"This is achieved through the use of WRU (ЗРС, зенитная ракетная система--Morpheus Eberhardt) first developed in our country fundamentally new information tools - multifunctional radar, which is able to simultaneously perform the functions of radar detection and radar accurate tracking of targets and anti-aircraft guided missiles."

All I am saying is that for only one or two 50N6Ye radars to provide coverage over a 360 degree sector some degree of mechanical scanning would be required. Two 50N6Ye radars can implement this in many different ways. Also in my opinion this doesn't, in any manner, contradict the above passage. One fact that the article is implying is that 50N6Ye can "optimally" perform the search, track (with hard lock-ons), and missile guidance. In reality it can performs other roles also that weren't mentioned.

It should be kept in mind that, unlike the case for 50N6Ye, in general, when an ESA or any other type of sensor is said to be capable of performing search, it doesn't mean that its capabilities are "optimal" or even "acceptable" in performing that function.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks for the replies...

Caveat: I am not vouching, at all, for the Air Power Australia or the Microwave Journal.
    I find the level of detail of information on APA to be very good, the problem with it is its speculative nature regarding Russian weapons... like the suggestion that there are IIR versions of the R-77M and other speculation about other systems that has no basis in official releases that I have read.

It seems to want to make the F-35 look bad for the purpose of suggesting the F-22 is the only aircraft for the Australian military.
    Stealthflanker
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 am

SOC wrote:
    This is why doing math at 3AM is best left to people designated Not Me respekt  This is actually pretty close to the example I give in class when covering Newton's Laws, explaining how F=ma is actually oversimplified in the real world.  I explain the idea of a rocket with decreasing mass, and then you can see the lightbulbs go on when I tell them that their car does the same thing.

That being said, it's going to be more complicated for a SAM.  To make this as accurate as possible you also need to factor in the various drag effects of the airframe shape, the control surfaces, and drag created by the manipulation of control fins, any body lift generated, etc.  This will all amount to a small decrease in what you'd calculate above, but it will manifest itself differently based on the individual missile characteristics.  

Hence why the most ridiculous accelerators are conical with very, very large high impulse boosters.  And why I have taken to using various programs to figure this crap out for me a lot faster angel 
    I did this... try figuring out maneuverability (Theoritically at least) for 5V28 missiles of S-200..quite long..with some readings on Fleeman's and Nielsen's book.. finally got a figure of 17G of possible maneuverability at high altitude to kill SR-71's.

But then though theoritically possible.. i'm still awaits for better data to improve accuracy.

Now i have several spreadsheets..each detailing one missile...it's kinda long and tedious calculations (especially i'm not a programmer..which would mean excel is my hope) But it's kinda happy if i managed to get at least a reasonable result Very Happy

Now i'm looking stuff about grid fins and how to calculate its effect to maneuverability.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:54 am

With respect to the 50N6Ye search mode, there seems to be some info at

http://rbase.new-factoria.ru/sites/default/files/gallery/s.gurov/13/09/01/img_2216.jpg

According to my extremely limited understanding of the Russian language, the spec sheet seems to be indicating that in the search/TWS mode the mechanical rotational speed of the array is 40 RPM. As I mentioned previously this mode would be somewhat similar to that of the 64N6 family, for example.

By the way, as an aside, a missile system that incorporates a missile like one from the 9M96 family, with a guidance system that incorporates ARH+INS+datalink, can actually be satisfactorily supported, in many circumstances, with just a radar with TWS (track while scan-only) capabilities; so a capability for achieving a hard lock would not even be needed. After all S-25, S-75, and S-125 can all do this even for the variants of their missiles that were "command-only" (i.e., the variants of their missiles with no homing heads).

To sum up this possibility, the 50N6Ye would be rotating mechanically over a 360 degree or smaller sector, providing search+IFF+TWS+datalink support to the missiles. It should be mentioned that this method is within the possibilities of S-350Ye, but it doesn't capitalize on most of the system's other capabilities. It should be kept in mind that S-350Ye would have TVM/SAGG capabilities which have to be supported by 50N6Ye.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:18 pm

- Testing done by 2014
    - Mass production in 2015
    - Mass deliveries 2016
    - all according to schedule Very Happy 

Russian Army to Receive Vityaz Air Defense Systems in 2016
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Viktor wrote:- Testing done by 2014
    - Mass production in 2015
    - Mass deliveries 2016
    - all according to schedule Very Happy 

Russian Army to Receive Vityaz Air Defense Systems in 2016
    Excellent. Any more informations about Morphei? It is all quiet about it.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 am

medo wrote:Excellent. Any more informations about Morphei? It is all quiet about it.
    Probably they have some problems so no info yet. I was hopping to catch some info about it on MAKS-2013 but nothing.

Anyway Morfei is scheduled for 2015 so there is still plenty of time to finished it. I think Morfei is much more demanding system to construct and finish all development and research work

than most other. I think that even if Almaz-Antej prolongs work on the Morfei system it does not matter since it is conceptually excellent fit in its existing AD network.

Rpg type 7v

Post  Rpg type 7v Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:41 pm

this vytaz thing is a huge waste of resourses , 2016 and you have- pesa? Laughing Shocked Embarassed tongue 
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Rpg type 7v wrote:this vytaz thing is a huge waste of resourses , 2016 and you have- pesa? Laughing Shocked Embarassed tongue 
    You are right, like new Arleigh Burkes with PESA, it is useless.

What an amateur analysis lol.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm