Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+24
yavar
franco
galicije83
bhramos
kvs
Cheetah
KiloGolf
d_taddei2
Dima
Werewolf
KoTeMoRe
ult
Berkut
chicken
GunshipDemocracy
George1
GarryB
zg18
sepheronx
ShahryarHedayatiSHBA
TheArmenian
Pyrrus
Viktor
Cyberspec
28 posters

Syrian Arab Army (SAA)

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty Re: Syrian Arab Army (SAA)

Post  Cyberspec Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 am

Well they definately have Tochka-U ...

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 am

What they need is load of Su-25/UAV/and more Thocka-U Very Happy

I sew that clip but It would be interesting to see effect of that launch. Very Happy
    Pyrrus
    Pyrrus

Post  Pyrrus Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Viktor wrote:What they need is load of Su-25/UAV/and more Thocka-U Very Happy

I sew that clip but It would be interesting to see effect of that launch. Very Happy
    I agree, but first of all more protection against simple weapons used by rebels. Syrian Army's losses are mostly connected with snipers and IED devices. The effect is, now women started to be draft to army troops. They operate on the check points mostly.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:59 pm

True but cutting their supply lines is essential for numerous reasons.

I have seen Syria Army using bulletproof vests, helmets, swarms of snipers etc ... but supply lines ... those needs to be cut and in a matter of one month terrorist will collapse.
    Pyrrus
    Pyrrus

Post  Pyrrus Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Viktor wrote:True but cutting their supply lines is essential for numerous reasons.

I have seen Syria Army using bulletproof vests, helmets, swarms of snipers etc ... but supply lines ... those needs to be cut and in a matter of one month terrorist will collapse.
    I agree, for now the Syrian government and army make effort to seal out the border with Jordan and Liban. It is not so easy with those with Turkey and Israel. Terrorists operate from there.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm

The Su-25 would be the best candidate for this sort of fighting. It's strange they never got it considering they use to receive a fair amount of equipment.

I agree, but first of all more protection against simple weapons used by rebels. Syrian Army's losses are mostly connected with snipers and IED devices. The effect is, now women started to be draft to army troops. They operate on the check points mostly.

I think the SAA is doing a lot better than what's reported on western channels and the rebels are suffering serious casualties in all these recent "offensives". That said, the SAA can't win a decisive victory since the rebels have safe heavens to retreat too and regroup and large scale foreign support.

Interesting clip of a low level Su-22 attack, dropping delayed action bombs

From a different angle (without the explosion but with the mandatory Alah akbar...Alah akbar)

Pyrrus
    Pyrrus

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty Syrian Arab Army (SAA)

Post  Pyrrus Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

cyberspec wrote:

I think the SAA is doing a lot better than what's reported on western channels and the rebels are suffering serious casualties in all these recent "offensives". That said, the SAA can't win a decisive victory since the rebels have safe heavens to retreat too and regroup and large scale foreign support.
    of course they do. Rebels, terrorists face colossal losses, but Saudi Arabia, Katar, Turkey, with advisory and financial support from USA and Israel keep sending new ones. Syria became ruined because of war. For now the army has the support from the most of civilians. But the longer the war will last the more they will lose their hope and belief. And this is what terrorists want to obtain. The thing is, army's and security forces' possibilities are limited. They are on the active side, but still have to react on rebels' actions and still keep reseves in case of possible war with neighbouring countries or NATO itself

Last edited by Pyrrus on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : mistakes)
    Viktor
    Viktor

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty Any idea what could this missile be?

Post  Viktor Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Any idea what could this missile be?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ef7_1381815055
    Pyrrus
    Pyrrus

Post  Pyrrus Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Viktor wrote:Any idea what could this missile be?

Tochka or Luna? SAA has both at its disposal. However, as for me it's a bit too long and thin for Tochka's missile
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Pyrrus wrote:

Tochka or Luna? SAA has both at its disposal. However, as for me it's a bit too long and thin for Tochka's missile
    At first second I thought about some guided bomb droped from the plane only to stuck me right away that the missile is damn to big to be anything fired from the plane.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 pm

From the below video posted on his channel, Igor Nadershyn (from ANNA News) implies it is a Tochka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gpw4AFLmVY
    Viktor
    Viktor

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty syrian army equipment

Post  Viktor Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:17 am

TheArmenian wrote:

From the below video posted on his channel, Igor Nadershyn (from ANNA News) implies it is a Tochka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gpw4AFLmVY
    Tnx man. Best video I have seen in ages. If you have more please post. Shocked Very Happy
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 am

SCUD, TOCHKA and FAJR

ShahryarHedayatiSHBA

Post  ShahryarHedayatiSHBA Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 am

The Pride of Syria: Female Warriors Defending Damascus

The Syrian female Republican Guard commando battalion was created about a year ago. The unit consists of 800 female soldiers, nicknamed the 'Lionesses of Defense' who are deployed in the suburbs of the Syrian capital to defend the city against insurgents.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/photo/20150327/1020106725.html#ixzz3VfZvcGfo

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106784

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106812

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106757

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106839

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106892

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106866

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106920

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 1020106947
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty Syrian Arab Army

Post  sepheronx Wed May 20, 2015 5:49 am

The Syrians are upgraded Soviet T-55
    Until recently, the most modern tanks of the Syrian army were two hundred ordinary T-55 upgraded in Ukraine and brought up to a standard T-MW. They were installed new systems of guided weapons, fire control system "Wave" and DSHKM anti-aircraft gun.

To increase the survivability of combat vehicles was applied anticumulative dynamic protection "Contact", side skirts and a number of other technical improvements.

However, normal T-55 used in the Syrian army, until recently, were easy prey for the enemy. Antitank weapons pierced the armor, even where it had a maximum thickness. As a result the machine went out of order and they detonated the ammunition, killing the entire crew.

So far the attempts of the Syrian military to improve the protection of tanks tangible results did not bring. But recently, as noted by the experts, in the fighting in the mountainous qalamoun region, the Syrians began to use T-55, past effective modernization in the field of protection. Tanks got anticumulative screens, mounted dozer blades, and installed on the towers of anti-aircraft guns closed protective guards.

Experts say that the combat capability of these machines has increased significantly.
    zg18
    zg18

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty Syrian Arab Army (SAA)

Post  zg18 Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Russian TV Lifenews visit Syrian army training ground

Some 500 people are currently train for battle
    George1
    George1

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) Empty National Defence Forces (Syria)

Post  George1 Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:09 pm

With Assad's Troops Stretched, Fighters Join NDF for Salary and Stability

A steady stream of Syrian men are joining the National Defense Force, a loyalist reserve force used by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad since 2012.

In October, 2012, Ahmed, a sergeant in the Syrian army, was fired after losing his weapon. He joined the National Defense Force (NDF) as a career move: to him, it was just another job.

"I have two children and I had to provide for them," says the 34-year-old from a town north of Damascus. With money dwindling, "there was no other way but to join the National Defense Forces, because they offered monthly salaries to those who joined."

Since the conflict began in 2011, a steady stream of men have elected to dodge their compulsory military service, avoiding a dangerous fight in rebel-held areas. But now many of those men are deciding to join the National Defense Force, a loyalist reserve force used by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad since 2012. The NDF is deployed to back up a Syrian army that has seen its ranks depleted by death, injury, desertion – and has been further stretched as new fronts open against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Many of those new recruits are joining up for financial reasons. The NDF ranks are often more appealing than the rigor imposed by the Syrian army; service isn't compulsory, while monthly salaries can feed and clothe families left back home.

Ahmed says he makes 15,000 Syrian pounds per month with the NDF – just under $100. But he says fighters also make money from fees leveled on drivers at checkpoints and road blocks, and from the spoils of battle.

"We have direct orders to collect whatever we want," he adds. "Our commanders tell us: 'The properties of your enemies are lawfully yours.' And then they take whatever they want as well."

Soon after the NDF's formation, Ahmed says trainers were brought in from Hezbollah and the Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guards – both allies of the Assad regime. Ahmed says new recruits were also trained for battle by officers from Syria's own Republican Guard.

Ahmed's first mission saw him fighting alongside the Syrian army to break a rebel siege on a strategic military location in eastern Ghouta. On another occasion he went into Yabroud to back up Syrian army fighters.

"In Ghouta we were under the command of a general from the Syrian army," he says. "In Yabroud, we took orders from a Hezbollah commander, because there were Hezbollah fighters alongside us. We were at the front with Hezbollah, and we were charged with combing the areas that the Syrian air force had shelled."

For those who join solely for the financial benefits, injuries can end a career. The NDF often does not follow through on keeping injured soldiers on retainer, or on weaving them back into the fighting rotation. In 2013, Munther, a 29-year-old recruit, was injured while fighting in Aleppo province.

"After the injury I went home to recover. But my leave has been unpaid," he said. "So to make ends meet I'm currently a private Arabic language tutor."

The NDF earned a fearsome reputation among some civilian populations. Ismael, 52, lives in an area of southern Damascus that came under NDF control after falling to the regime.

"They are a constant pain in our lives," he says. "They are terrorizing people. Our homes are raided and searched for no reason, whenever they feel like it."

But others have a different point of view. In areas with heavy support for the Assad regime, residents say the NDF's fighters need to exert such force to protect their neighborhoods.

"The NDF is justified in its ways," says Alaa, who lives in the loyalist stronghold of Tartous.

"They keep the area secure and protect it from rebel forces."

http://www.syriadeeply.org/articles/2014/10/6205/assads-troops-stretched-fighters-join-ndf-salary-stability/

The National Defense Forces (NDF): By far the largest militia network in Syria, the NDF was created through the rebranding, restructuring, and merging of local Popular Committees and other pro-Assad armed groups starting in 2012. Numerous reports point to Iranian funding and training of NDF factions, including Alawite- and Christian-dominated groups in the Homs region, and even some Sunni Arab tribal groups in the far east of the country. The NDF network is organized under provincial commanders like Fadi Saqr, who runs the NDF in the Damascus region, but seem to be loosely overseen by a national coordinator—reportedly Brigadier-General Ghassan Nassour, a powerful officer based in Damascus. Reflecting the bottom-up organization of the movement, local branches seem to act with considerable autonomy and to be less than cohesive on the provincal level, though the state of NDF forces varies considerably across the country. While some NDF units are heavily armed with tanks and rocket launchers, and appear to function like military formations, others are poorly disciplined semi-criminal or sectarian gangs in civilian attire.

http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=59215

Post  Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:21 am

"Amid growing disenchantment and consecutive setbacks for the army, Syria's prime minister announced on Monday a monthly bonus of 10,000 Syrian pounds ($37) to soldiers fighting on the front lines.
    Despite losing large swathes of land in the past two months to armed opposition groups, including the Nusra Front and the Islamic State group, Syrian soldiers are expected to receive a monthly raise starting in July.

The pay raise will only go to soldiers serving on battlefronts, Prime Minister Wael al-Halaki told a parliament session broadcast on Syrian state television. This works out at around $37 at official rates and several dollars less on the black market.

Halaki said Syrians knew that war was not about "losing a battle here or there" but about the overall result. He described the armed forces as "strong" and "deployed across the country".

Syrian state television broadcast hours of army footage set to rousing music on Monday, showing soldiers shooting weapons, training in camps and being embraced by citizens.

According to Reuters, monthly salaries for soldiers and allied militia fighters range from around 14,000 Syrian pounds ($40) to 30,000 Syrian pounds ($110).

Officers can earn 45,000 pounds or more depending on rank. Civil servants, meanwhile, earn around 23,000-25,000 pounds.

Military disenchantment

As Hizballah fighters began to flock to Syria, tensions between the Lebanese fighters and Syrian soldiers emerged. Hizballah recruits earn significantly higher salaries, and receive it in US dollars - while Syrian troops' salaries are at the mercy of a devaluing local currency."

Its from 2 months ago but i think noone posted or mentioned anything regarding Syrian army salary so i thought it might be nice information to share.

Source: http://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2015/6/9/syrian-government-gives-salary-bonus-to-front-line-soldiers
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:23 pm

SyAA BM-30

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) CP8b8C0UYAAMz4K

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) CP8b8DMVAAAkcVB
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:56 pm

Nice.... Uragan 220mm artillery system...

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:47 am

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) CQqslUdXAAArgDn

You surely all do recognise this bad boy Very Happy Fresh photo from Syria apparently.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:28 pm

TOS-1A in Syrian Army

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 2457386_original

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 2457936_original

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 2458143_original

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1514943.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:01 pm

Syrian Army's Elite Force to Gain New Victories in Northern Syria

The newly-formed Fourth Corps of the Syrian Army are about to make new advances in the Northern parts of the country.

“The formation of the Syrian Army's Fourth Corps will result in deep penetration into the Northern areas and collapse of the terrorist groups,” Issa al-Zaher told FNA.

The elite forces are well-experienced in combat under various climatic conditions and are adept at different kinds of fighting tactics.

The newly-formed corps of the Syrian army has between 60,000 to 100,000 troops with different expertise. It was earlier reported that the army was preparing for massive and significant operations in the Northern parts of Syria following Russia’s recent logistical backups.

“Blitz military operations which will be of decisive importance will soon start in Idlib, Jisr al-Shughour and Aleppo in the North,” Senior Political Analyst Ali Maqsoud told FNA.

He mentioned that the army plans to destroy enemy convoys that are on the move from Damascus to Homs and then from there to Lattakia, Idlib and Hama.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151011/1028355044/syrian-army-elite-force-combat-military-operation.html#ixzz3oGtxtPqf
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:03 am

Iranian copies of the TOW anti-tank systems at the government forces in Syria

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 474935_900

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 474418_900

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 474349_900

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1521458.html

Post  Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:56 am

George1 wrote:Iranian copies of the TOW anti-tank systems at the government forces in Syria

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 474935_900

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 474418_900

Syrian Arab Army (SAA) 474349_900

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1521458.html

Toofan, interesting indeed.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:37 am