Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+9
11E
AMCXXL
George1
franco
BKP
GarryB
Asf
Vann7
eridan
13 posters

Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure

Asf

Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure

Post  Asf Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:22 am

Found some proofs and clues on modern russian tank division structure.

As I said it's two tank regiments (three tank battalions plus one motorised rifle battalion), one SP artillery regiment and one AA regiment (must have common support like maintainance battalion, recon battalion as well).

Interesting news is T-80E (modernised version of T-80) MBT the division is armed with.
    eridan

Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure

Post  eridan Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:38 am

So there was reversal on decision to retire all t-80? why "E" designation? that was usually used for export products.

Anyhow, that's a fairly small division. Closer to an enlarged brigade than a division, really. 31 tanks in a battalion, i presume?

Link for the news?
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 am

So there was reversal on decision to retire all t-80?
    Correction: all t-80 in the Ground forces ('coastal defence' motorised rifle units and naval infantry units are the Fleet subordinates, for example). But it dosen't matter, many of Serdukov's decisions were changed since 2009-2010.

why "E" designation? that was usually used for export products
     I can say it's a different letter in russian which stands for 'export' (Э instead of E). So it isn't a Т-80Э (export), it's rather T-80E(or T-80UE). So I can't say for sure, may be it's just a next letter unused, as T-80A, T-80B(V) and T-80D are already exist. Russian alphabet is like 'A', 'B', 'V', 'G', 'D', and then 'E'

Anyhow, that's a fairly small division. Closer to an enlarged brigade than a division, really.
    No, you are not right, it's like two tank brigades with it's artillery, AA, recon and maintanance are partly separated and reorginised into the divisional-subordinated units. I think it has sligthly more artillery (every reginment must have at least a tube artillery battalion plus two tube artillery battalions in the artillery regiments so it's four tube artillery battalions altogather, and a single tank brigade only have one tube artilley battalion unlike a motorised rifle brigade which has two artillery battalions) and recon (a divisional recon battalion plus atleast a recon company per tank regiment), but it isn't that overwhelming difference.

It was the trend in late soviet divisions to strip out a forth maneuver regiment, and nowadays VDV is happy with only two. I think that's because of battalion tactical groups being the actual units of maneuver now and it's too difficult for a divisional headquaters to manage more than 6-8 BTGs plus over support formations.

31 tanks in a battalion, i presume?
    Most likely.

Link for the news?
    Coming soon, can't copypast it from my workplace  Very Happy
    eridan

Post  eridan Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:36 pm

thanks, that's good info! (when you're ready, we can discuss the potential of chinese versus potential of russian air forces in another topic Very Happy)
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:01 pm

when you're ready, we can discuss the potential of chinese versus potential of russian air forces in another topic

I'm quite ready as I no expert in military aircraft tactics  Very Happy 
    I don't think we can get actual numbers of aircrafts and such, only wikipedia nonsence. And that's why our discussion will be pointless.

If we speak on wiki info basis about, say, fighters, in general China have slightly more aircrafts than Russia do but much of them are outdated. And don't forget Russia have superior ground AA which is an essential part of the russian doctrine of air superiority.
    eridan

Post  eridan Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:31 am

Of course it all boils down to sources. One source to use could be IISS's military balance, however imprecise it may be, but at least it's fairly neutral and a singular source for both sides.

More up to date assesment could be gained from long term data collection. I am sure there are people following the photos of ruaf forces and deducing the orbat using those and various news bits. Something could be interpolated from all that. Sadly, most of those are in russian speaking forums only so they are not available to me, so i get only second hand stuff, probably not up to date, that gets written up on in english.

For chinese forces i personally like to use the combination of scramble.nl orbat, then doublecheck it with available google earth imagery, then help myself with available images of different serial numbers. Luckily, there's a bunch of english speaking enthusiasts to help with that task.

With russian air forces it's actually a bit harder, since they don't have unique serial numbers clearly visible, aside for the RF tail numbers but those are either in really small print or are even missing on a fair number of aircraft.

I'd put anti air systems into a different category from the air force though but that's a personal opinion. Looking at AA systems, i would concur russia has the upper hand in that particular regard.
    Asf

Post  Asf Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:22 am

Here's the source article about 'Kantemorovskaya' division (russian blog with source-link to interview with the division 2iC). The division seems to include 9 subordinate units: 2 tank regiments, 1 SP rtillery regiment, AA regiment + imho recon battalion, engeneer battalion, medical battalion, maintainance battalion, supply battalion (or may be maintainance and supply battalion and independant signals battalion)
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:09 pm

click

One famous russian expert told on his forum the Russian MoD have rejected planned "light", "medium" and "heavy" brigades concept. Now it will be motorised rifle brigades on BMP and motorised rifle brigades on BTRs plus motorised rifles for special conditions (e.g. mountain, arctic, ect). BMP- and BTR-mounted MR brigades will have tank battalions, "special condition" ones won't. A MR brigade on BMP will have three MR battalions plus two tank battalions.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 am

But with the new vehicle families there will be four BMPs and four BTRs... so which ones would they use?

Traditionally the BMP would be the medium tracked Kurganets in the 25 ton class, and the BTR would probably be the wheeled Typhoon in the 10 ton class, but they could just as easily choose the BTR as being the armata APC in the 55 ton class.
    eridan

Post  eridan Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:10 am

described brigade composition actually describes three different brigade types, each with less/more heavy equipment. So in a way one could say there will indeed be heavy, medium and light brigades.

Am i to understand that btr equipped brigades will have one tank batallion, since bmp brigade was accented with having two?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am

Am i to understand that btr equipped brigades will have one tank batallion, since bmp brigade was accented with having two?

And how many tank batallions in the tank brigades?

will there be BTR and BMP tank brigades?
    Asf

Post  Asf Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

described brigade composition actually describes three different brigade types, each with less/more heavy equipment. So in a way one could say there will indeed be heavy, medium and light brigades.

Personally, I think generals just returned back to more habitual vehicle-based unit's namings. More interesting change is a five manuever batallion structure of a brigade, which corresponds with soviet brigades structure heavily.

Don't know exactly, but most likely it's so.

And how many tank batallions in the tank brigades?

No info. 3 tank batallions and 2 motor rifle batallions, I suppose. Or may be they will be just the same Smile

will there be BTR and BMP tank brigades?

I don't think so. It was always a bmp-mounted MR battalion in a soviet tank regiment, and I suppose tank brigades will be all-Armata units.

Actually, it's very interesting question on that platform will be a new "BMP brigade" as there will be two different tracked BMP platforms. It is possible to have, say, one MR batallion on heavy Armata BMPs and other two on Kurganets.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:08 am

The whole point of vehicle families is to reduce the logistics tail, so mixing vehicle families within one grouping will only recomplicate the logistics...

Of course having said that the logistics tail had to cater for dozens of different vehicles from ACRVs and BMPs and BTRs and MBTs to all sorts of other vehicle platforms like Tunguska and MTLB and SA-13 and Sa-9 and Sa-8 etc etc. even just reducing to four main vehicle families will reduce the logistics problems.

But plans to have standard armour protection and mobility amongst vehicles within a unit mean the APCs wont be picked off leaving the MBTs to fight for themselves.

Any BMPTs that are built will be used in conventional units with T-90s and BMP-3Ms, because the Armata units will have IFVs with IFV firepower able to elevate, yet with MBT level protection and mobility.

A typhoon unit MBT should be able to be picked off with the APC as the armour and APS levels will be similar.

I rather suspect that because of cost the vast majority of vehicles will be wheeled and most will be boomerang and typhoon because of their mobility and lower cost.

The firepower increase over previous units will be enormous and will largely offset the reduction in actual protection, while mobility will be greatly increased.

I have estimated on other threads and will repeat them here, that 20 percent of the Russian Armys new vehicles will be heavy tracked armatas, while I think 20 percent will be wheeled Typhoons and I think of the remaining 60 percent that 20 percent will be Kurganets tracked vehicles and 40% will be Boomerang.

Meaning a total of 60% of the new vehicles fielded will be wheeled because of lower procurement costs and lower operating costs.

Also the Boomerang is in the same weight class as the Kurganets and will likely have similar armour levels and similar armament.

In Afghanistan one of the favourite vehicles was the BMP-2 as it had better armour and better firepower than the BTR or BMP-1 with better elevation of the main gun

With Kurganets and Boomerang the main difference will be speed over different types of terrain with tracks better of soft ground and wheels better on roads and hard surfaces...

Just my opinion of course.
    Asf

Post  Asf Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 pm

The whole point of vehicle families is to reduce the logistics tail, so mixing vehicle families within one grouping will only recomplicate the logistics...

there is no other MBT platform than 'Armata'. As well as I doubt there will b, say, bridging vehicles based on Boomerang. And still 2 different platforms is better than 4-5 in one brigade/regiment (say, BTR for infantry + T72 for tanks + MT-LB for artillery and command vehicles + T-80 chassis of Msta-S + different special platforms for engeneering and AA vehicles. Not to mention two different truck types).

Any BMPTs that are built will be used

There is no decision to use BMPT yet

A typhoon unit MBT

There will be NO tanks other than on Armata platforms. Kurganets and Boomerang, having large-bore gun module, won't be MBTs, as they wont have it's level of protection. It will be just self-propelled artillery, so it won't be used on MBTs role.

the APCs wont be picked off leaving the MBTs to fight for themselves.

It's a matter of brigade's staff work to decide if a batallion tactical group need high firepower and protection provided by MBTs given to the BTG or a BTG need high mobility instead, leaving it only with lighter vehicles and keeping MBTs in reserve.
    If you took normal MBT out of a brigade, even giving it 'light tanks', you will cut its combat self-sufficiency (the brigade won't be able to conduct many types of operations it's intended to). It will never happen! Not with MR brigades we are talking about. The Russian military already have VDV and Naval Infantry for lighter roles, MR brigades are supposed to be an all-purpose hammer units able to withstand and engage hostile heavy formations. Imagine what will be with a MR brigade, which only have 'typhoon MBTs' and is supposed to assault, say, positions of americal ABTC.

The firepower increase over previous units will be enormous

Lighter vehicles will suck to MBTs as if they even will have comparable firepower, they will loose because of lack of defence.

I have estimated on other threads and will repeat them here, that 20 percent of the Russian Armys new vehicles will be heavy tracked armatas, while I think 20 percent will be wheeled Typhoons and I think of the remaining 60 percent that 20 percent will be Kurganets tracked vehicles and 40% will be Boomerang.

Don't know that numbers you've used as the basis. Nowadays most of the MR brigades are equipped with tracked infantry vehicles (BMPs and MT-LBs) and 100% of them have MBTs. It's because of russian terrain in the first place, so you just can't switch to wheeled vehicles that easy.

Meaning a total of 60% of the new vehicles fielded will be wheeled because of lower procurement costs 

Not sure about that) Boomerang is very complex.
    BKP
    BKP

Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure - Page 2 Empty New 1st Guards Tank Army

Post  BKP Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

I believe it was last year, 2016, when we first heard of the Russian military's plan to reform the 1st Guards Tank Army. This was a very significant development in the opinion of many notable observers, which is not at all surprising. I definitely found it interesting, and would certainly like to hear any new information relating to it.

Brushing the light dust off of the following:

Russia Prepares for a Big War: The Significance of a Tank Army
    Patrick Armstrong, 4/10/16

https://patrickarmstrong.ca/2016/04/10/russia-prepares-for-a-big-war-the-significance-of-a-tank-army/

Last edited by BKP on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 pm

A lot of hype in that video and reality is different for sure. Not much difference between this Army and the other 11 Combined Arms Armies. This Army has for combat maneuver the following;

2nd Guards division (2 motor rifle and 1 tank regiments)
    4th Guards division (2 tank and 1 motor rifle regiments)
    6th Tank brigade
    27th Guards Motor Rifle brigade

And for support;

60th C3 brigade (command, control and communications)
    69th Logistic brigade
    20th Chemical regiment
    Artillery brigade (288th?)
    112th SSM brigade
    SAM brigade BUK M1 (53rd or 49th?)
    96th Military Intelligence brigade (reconnaissance)
    Engineer regiment (missing but several new are being formed)

Most Armies also have an Army Aviation regiment (helicopters and UAV's) attached but so far none.
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:17 pm

^ Okay, well, what do you think of this paragraph from Patrick Armstrong's article that I linked:

"In short, if you stop at independent brigades, you are telling the world that you expect, and are planning for, relatively small wars. If you go to divisions you are expecting something larger and if you construct a corps (or army in Russian terminology) you are telling the world that you are preparing for a big war."

So, according to this, in the 1GTA, the unit-level capability for independent action has been pushed up the span of command and control from the brigade level to the corps level (or "army" in Russian terms). So, this would show concretely that Russia is concerned enough by western US/NATO hostility to reform a military structure that has been moribund for over two decades, and is specifically-suited to fighting large-scale conflicts (against NATO, obviously).

How does that reconcile with the TOE you posted (if I'm using the right term there). Honest question, because I don't know if it substantiates Armstrong's assertion or not. Also, where did you get that information? Can you link it? Thanks.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm

All of the Ground Forces have been reorganized along this line and that Army support organization is becoming pretty well standard. In addition there are support assets held at the Military District level and again at the National level under control of the General Staff. A division does indeed offer a larger attacking force then a brigade (3x). The 1st Guard Tank Army does act as a strategic reserve force in the west and with a total of 4 Motor Rifle regiments / brigades plus 4 Tank regiments / brigades makes a powerful striking force.

As for links this comes from multiple sources over time, if you want to see something go to Wikipedia - Ground Forces - Western District - 1st Guards Army - Russian language version. And I say this without first checking this link so not sure what they have. As you can see by my ORBAT or Order of Battle (TOE = manpower & equipment), I'm not 100% sure of some units (SAM and Artillery) as to whom they are attached to (1st Tank Army or 20th Combined Arms Army), as they share the same general area.

For comparison, the 20th Combined Army used to command these units but now has the two new Motor Rifle divisions (3rd and 144th) that have just been formed along the Belarus and Ukrainian borders. While the 6th Combined Arms Army stationed further north along the border with Finland and the Baltic states only has 2 Motor Rifle brigades (25th & 138th). This is in addition to the support units outlined in my prior post.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Recovery plans for the 20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division

bmpd
    April 26th, 23:01

As the newspaper "Izvestia" reported in the article by Roman Kretsul and Alexei Ramm "And now" 20th ": the legendary guards unit will return to service"The Russian Defense Ministry is strengthening the country's southern borders with motorized riflemen, sources in the military department told Izvestia. According to them, the army plans to revive the legendary 20th Guards Carpathian-Berlin Motorized Rifle Division. Its units will be located in Volgograd and Kamyshin. This unit has a rich combat history: it distinguished itself both during the storming of Berlin and in the hostilities in the North Caucasus. Many officers who served in the division now hold leading positions in the Ministry of Defense. According to experts, the strengthening of the southern flank is quite understandable - it is no coincidence that the military leadership has recently been talking about high activity near the Russian borders in this region. (c) Said Tsarnaev / RIA Novosti

The fundamental decision on the formation of the 20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division (MSD) has already been made, sources in the military department told Izvestia. The new unit will be recreated on the basis of the 20th motorized rifle brigade, which is now deployed in Volgograd. According to the interlocutors of the editorial office, the new division will become part of the 8th Guards Combined Arms Army. At present, the organizational and staff structure of the newly formed formation is being determined.

To make room for motorized riflemen, the Ministry of Defense decided to redeploy the paratroopers. Today, the 56th separate guards airborne assault brigade is located in the city of Kamyshin. But, as the head of the defense department Sergei Shoigu said earlier, in the near future it will be reorganized into a regiment and redeployed to Crimea. According to Izvestia's sources, the vacated military townships will occupy parts of the newly formed 20th Guards Division.

Last year, the 19th Motorized Rifle Division was recreated as part of the 58th Army, and the formation of a new division is planned for 2021, the commander of the Southern Military District, Army General Alexander Dvornikov, announced earlier. Also, the Ministry of Defense reported that medical organizations and units are being formed for the newly created motorized rifle formations. There are so many vacancies that doctors are invited from all over Russia, including the Urals, Siberia and the Far East.

The history of the 20th Guards Division goes back to the 8th Guards Mechanized Corps, which took part in the battles near Rzhev and in the Battle of Kursk, which completed its combat path in Berlin. In 1945, the corps was reorganized into the 8th Guards Mechanized Division, and in 1957 it was transformed into the 20th Guards Motorized Rifle Division. The compound was part of the group of Soviet forces in Germany. In 1993, the division was withdrawn to Volgograd and became part of the 8th Army Corps. She took part in the storming of Grozny in 1994-1995. In 1999, the combined regiment of the division fought against terrorists who had broken through to the territory of Dagestan. In 2009, it was transformed into a motorized rifle brigade.

The 20th division is also known as a kind of forge of personnel for the highest bodies of military command. In the 2000s, for example, it was commanded by the current deputy chief of the General Staff, Colonel-General Sergei Istrakov, the commander of the Eastern Military District, Colonel-General Gennady Zhidko, and the commander of the Central Military District, Colonel-General Alexander Lapin.

Unlike a brigade, a division is a full-blooded formation that can independently solve operational and tactical tasks, military expert Viktor Murakhovsky told Izvestia.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4298824.html

DerWolf and LMFS like this post

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 am

The 20th Motorized Rifle Division was re-formed in the Southern Military District

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4397259.html

franco and Hole like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Have read that both the 20th Guard Motor Rifle division and the 19th MR division will upon completion have the same organizational structure of 3 Motor Rifle regiments and 1 heavy separate Tank battalion with 5 companies (51 Tanks). All tanks in both units are planned to be T-90M's when completed.

GarryB and Hole like this post

AMCXXL
    AMCXXL

Post  AMCXXL Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:05 am

I spet a little time last weekend writting a complete ORBAT of Ground Forces of Russia in Spanish Wikipedia.
    With the current data is this:

Russian Ground Forces ORBAT-Structure - Page 2 Orbat_13

This is what results from this ORBAT assuming:

Tank Brigade: There is one, it has 3 tank battalions and a rifle battalion.
    Tank Regiment: There are 14, they have 3 tank battalions and a rifle battalion each.
    Independent Tank Battalion: There are two in the 19th and 20th divisions (of 4 companies)
    Heavy Motorized Rifle Brigade: There is 1, they have 2 rifle battalions and 2 tank battalions.
    Motorized Rifle Brigade: There are 20, they have 3 rifle battalions and a tank battalion each.
    Motorized Mountain Rifle Brigade: There are 2, they have 3 rifle battalions.
    Mixed Brigade (Military Base abroad): There are 3, they have 4 rifle battalions and a tank battalion (of 4 companies)
    Motorized Rifle Regiment: There are 24, they have 3 rifle battalions and a tank battalion each, (except in divisions 19, 20 and 42 where they do not have their own tanks)
    Special Purpose Motorized Rifle Regiment: There is 1, they have 3 Rifle Battalions.
    Artillery Regiment with Machine Guns (Island Garrison Fortress): There are 2 in the Kuril Islands, they include a tank company

There are 85 Tank battallions and 170 Motor Rifle Regiments

You can see how the brigade model is being changed to a divisional model

In the "West" Military District the 6th Army  should be separated for the new Leningrad Military District and must be added a new Army in Karelia to counter NATO
    Meanwhile the 1st and 20th Armies must configure the new Moscow Military District

In the "South" Military District, the units of the new territories must be added to the 8th Army, while the latter cedes its easternmost units to the 49th Army and continues the transition to the divisional model.

In the "Center" Military District, the 90th Tank Division should be used to create a Tank Army, while both armies adopt the divisional composition.

In the "East" Military District there are too many armies, the 29th and 36th should be merged, in fact I thought that both are reserve armies, that is, they are not fully operational. They have many redundant units in the army but very few real units of maneuver, which should be unified into a single army
    Finally, the 68th Army Corps is actually a territorial defense force that includes garrison units on various islands.

Last edited by AMCXXL on Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:50 am; edited 5 times in total

GarryB, zardof, Hole and lyle6 like this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:03 pm

I like it. Are you going to do the Coastal Troops units also?
    Have a few variances in my ORBAT but we are fairly close.
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL

Post  AMCXXL Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:30 pm

@franco
    I like it. Are you going to do the Coastal Troops units also?

Yes, in the next days, and also VDV

Have a few variances in my ORBAT but we are fairly close.

Can you tell what differences?
    Of course, the structure is changing and will continue to change with the course of the Special Military Operation.

I have problems with 19, 20 and 42 divisions

In 20th Division, the 20th Brigade was transformed in 33th regiment, but I have no evidence of 242 regiment

In 19th Division , 19 th brigade was transformed in 503 regiment, but i have not evidence of a 141 separate tank battalion

42th Division should have a separate tank battallion since 2017, but I cant find more reference, 291th was formed and 78 Akhmat rehiment was attached

Have read that both the 20th Guard Motor Rifle division and the 19th MR division will upon completion have the same organizational structure of 3 Motor Rifle regiments and 1 heavy separate Tank battalion with 5 companies (51 Tanks). All tanks in both units are planned to be T-90M's when completed.

For the moment I only find 4 MR Regiments in 19th division and 2 MR + 1 Tank regiments in 20th division.
    I will try to verify it from other sources, but many of these units must change to the 49th army to add to the 8th army the new units from the Novorissia region
    11E

Post  11E Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:21 pm

I will check what I have. I had also some differences.

What are your sources regarding the 19th, 20th AND 42nd divisions?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 pm