Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+97
Podlodka77
calripson
Scorpius
Mir
TMA1
jhelb
lyle6
Arrow
Maximmmm
ALAMO
lancelot
mnztr
LMFS
PhSt
SeigSoloyvov
Rodion_Romanovic
Hole
Cyberspec
verkhoturye51
Tsavo Lion
ScotchedEarth
Firebird
The-thing-next-door
Zaits
miketheterrible
AlfaT8
kvs
George1
Rmf
whir
Kimppis
franco
Godric
Khepesh
KiloGolf
wilhelm
Acheron
cracker
andalusia
x_54_u43
Svyatoslavich
par far
SturmGuard
NationalRus
Odin of Ossetia
Cyrus the great
KoTeMoRe
OminousSpudd
Project Canada
Nikander
BTRfan
jka
Book.
warcraftee
zg18
bmtppk
victor1985
marcinko
PapaDragon
Rodinazombie
Karl Haushofer
medo
Vann7
ExBeobachter1987
Neutrality
Walther von Oldenburg
GunshipDemocracy
AirCargo
Big_Gazza
max steel
KomissarBojanchev
Morpheus Eberhardt
fredleander
Hannibal Barca
Mike E
higurashihougi
flamming_python
TR1
Airbornewolf
magnumcromagnon
Austin
collegeboy16
TheArmenian
As Sa'iqa
Werewolf
Stealthflanker
macedonian
Regular
Deep Throat
SOC
solo.13mmfmj
GarryB
Pervius
nightcrawler
Admin
Viktor
sepheronx
101 posters

Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia

Regular
    Regular

Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia - Page 3 Empty Re: Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia

Post  Regular Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm

You didn't answer me about recent scientists who where turned down by Nobel prize. Obama and other questionable characters are irrelevant when we are talking about sciences. So Higgs and Englert were finally awarded because of what then?
    You have to be in very deep denial not to admit that major science projects are happening in the West. Compare science megaprojects in USA alone and what does Russia have? A small collider for people who ar not lucky to get researcers mandate to work in CERN?
    Tell me top 5 Russian scientists (who live in Russia) who are on world standard but are ignored? Not talkig about theorists, Penrose and Hawkins are left without the prize no matter how they were busting their balls.
    Regular
    Regular

Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia - Page 3 Empty Re: Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia

Post  Regular Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Oh Yeah, just remembered that we were talking about Soviet union. Scientists were actually working in secrecy and most of their theoretical and some practical work didn't see light before USSR collapsed. I doubt that KGB was keen letting scientists to international conventions where they could be on spotlight. You have to keep this in mind too
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Regular wrote:Oh Yeah, just remembered that we were talking about Soviet union. Scientists were actually working in secrecy and most of their theoretical and some practical work didn't see light before USSR collapsed. I doubt that KGB was keen letting scientists to international conventions where they could be on spotlight. You have to keep this in mind too
    The only denial here is your ignorance and somehow living in the west indoctrinated myth that only the West brings advances and developments. It is a fact that Nobel Prize regardless of War or "Science" often just ignores work as long it suites their purpose.

You have not even a simple idea how advanced scientific researches and with empiric results have always been.

And you can argue as much as you want scientific research is mostly backed due the fact for use of military purpose, even the ridiculous M&M's were a military invention that soldiers don't get sticky fingers when eating chocolate, so your attempt that would follow "Where russians do anything in civilian sector?" is smoked before you could ask.

Mendeleyev's work even that it is revolutionary wasn't awarded with the Nobel Prize through the decision of the stupid committee, so tell me is there any reason for him not getting a prize but still is till this day one of those scientists that is known world wide.

Russian literature like from Tolstoy wasn't awarded due the fact he is a russian.
    Not a single chinese was granded any Nobel Prize in any catagory, yes this Nobel prize are just a stupid award that is politically driven, opinions of nationalism or antipathy towards countries.

Deny it as much as you want but that is the case.
    collegeboy16
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 am

they should establish kalashnikov prize... lol! 
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 am

I don't really see that as Russian vs West, the guy is just an eccentric (but genius) hermit, you get those types in any country.
    My point is that if he was British or French or American he would have won the Nobel prize for mathematics for solving a very well known (in math circles) problem that has remained unsolved for a hundred years even in the age of computers.

Tell me top 5 Russian scientists (who live in Russia) who are on world standard but are ignored? Not talkig about theorists, Penrose and Hawkins are left without the prize no matter how they were busting their balls.
    That guy that discovered carbon nanotubes was Russian.
    As Sa'iqa

Post  As Sa'iqa Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:51 am

There is no Nobel prize in math. It's equivalent is Fields Medal.

And indeed, Perelman was awarded this prize in 2006.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:30 am

Oktoberfest. There is no need to go full gestapo on me.
    I wasn't talking about empirical research and still You came to conclusion that I have no idea ho it's done.
    Well that well indoctrinated myth as You call it is pretty much alive in Russia as well where on science conventions they discuss projects in the west as main topics and always highlighten lack of funds and lack of interest of young people to study sciences like physics. My family member attends conventions in Russia yearly and when I was studying I attended there too, not much is changed after 10 years. Quality of education didn't go up after SU collapsed. Money wise it's not that great even today.
    I think it's you that still live in the past world.
    I asked You to tell me 5 living Russian scientists who are ignored by the west.
    Tell me what are scince megaprojects in Russia?
    You were talking about Mendeleev, and I can talk about Poincare. You know how many westerns were refused for Nobel prize? Even today it's controversial and unfair. People are robbed of their work (Thompset and his colleague comes to mind) and I'm not talking about politics or literature.
    But enough of Nobel prize. It actually has nothing to do with West advancement in science anyway. I would even argue thst their input is counterproductive.
    You mentioned non sticky chocolate in military? So what other worth mentioning things you could name for "civilian sector?" Non sticky chewing gum? Proper examples please.

I don't have to deny nothing. Do I have You prove You I'm right or it's You? You were the one who bragges about me not knowing empirical research, then spend 5 minutes and prove me that my opinion is not default.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 am

Carbon nanotubes were discovered by Russians in late 50ies and "rediscovered" again by Russian and his colleague from Japan (? don't have time to google) recently.
    Western scientist had no access to these findings so I wouldn't say it was ignored. I was reading article about it before on science mag. Interesting stuff
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Relic is taking this BS to a new level and I'm satisfied that the Russian internet community is finally organising to fight back against such outrageous mis-portrayals of our history. It's happening in movies, games, and its just getting worse and worse and will continue to do so until Russians show that they won't stand for it.

And TR1 about the hookers; no-one's going to murder them GTA style in real-life, and if they did then they already have issues.
    But millions of people play this game and really are indoctrinated and led to believe that this is how the war was on the Eastern Front.

Goebbels was a master of propaganda in his own time. Among the observations he made of social psychology - is that if you repeat something enough times to the masses; they'll believe it. And indeed; people in the West now really do believe that this is how the war was won in Russia, and increasingly the opinion is that the Soviets were as bad as the Nazis.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Every wondered why the greatest ally of West and US in Middle East and the greatest country to support terrorism in the world ever got flagged for being so much dependent on Oil.....while Western media is so much high on lashing Oil Revenues for Russia and Putins downfall  ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Saudi_Arabia

The petroleum sector accounts for roughly 92.5% of budget revenues,[15] 55% of GDP, and 90% of export earnings. About 40% of GDP comes from the private sector.

And since 2008 they have spent $800 billion in Economic Stimulus to avoid any revolt in their kingdom

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-23/saudi-arabia-slows-planned-spending-growth-in-record-2014-budget.html

Saudi Arabia has introduced almost $800 billion in stimulus measures since 2008.

So much for  (un)Fairness  of Western Press
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 pm

@ Austin.

Dont be surprised. Russia is public enemy #1 in USA, as they played the soviet/Russian fear mongering for over 50 years, so there are plenty of people that have power and money from that era, running the show. Makes it worst now since there are fewer media mougals in USA now, so our news is very limited (may have different names and may seem there are a lot of news outlets, but most are run by the same conpanies). Russia is the big bad bear, because (regardless of Chinas spending) is a real competitor due to US having so little to no influence over Russia, and Russia can contest to what US does (even if it isnt as great as it once was). So it is easier to demonize the country than it is to praise it. Look at the debacle of the Sochi olympics and how many news outlets have lied about it to make it look worst than it is here?

Which brings me to my next point: Russia will never be or may not be a big tourist attraction for Europe or USA. It could be for Asia but not the other. Reason why, is because the media and politics west of Russia has played Russia up to be this big monster that everyone should hate and fear (Poland, UK, USA, Western Ukraine, Romania, Etc) while the other nations...they cant afford to travel. Germany and France being the exception whom seem to have tourists that go everywhere, even to some of the worst places in the world for thrill (I suppose).

Unfortunately, Russias image is damaged. But thankfully, knowing Indian family members who studied and lives in Russia, tells a different tale than what western media says. That Russians are not all racist monkeys like our media says and it isnt all just doom and gloom.

BTW, here is the article plus list regarding russophobia in western media.

http://www.e-generator.ru/news/?news_id=8255

It is of course old, but things really has not changed much.r
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Austin wrote:Every wondered why the greatest ally of West and US in Middle East and the greatest country to support terrorism in the world ever got flagged for being so much dependent on Oil.....while Western media is so much high on lashing Oil Revenues for Russia and Putins downfall  ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Saudi_Arabia

The petroleum sector accounts for roughly 92.5% of budget revenues,[15] 55% of GDP, and 90% of export earnings. About 40% of GDP comes from the private sector.

And since 2008 they have spent $800 billion in Economic Stimulus to avoid any revolt in their kingdom

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-23/saudi-arabia-slows-planned-spending-growth-in-record-2014-budget.html

Saudi Arabia has introduced almost $800 billion in stimulus measures since 2008.

So much for  (un)Fairness  of Western Press

This is what I'm talking about, btw everyone remembers the lies about "democratic" Boris Yeltsin? He's democratic because he allows Western companies to loot Russia, he's democratic because he fires tank shells in to his parliament because they disagreed with the old violent drunk Boris, he's democratic because he allows his allies to be artificially balkanized. Don't you find it hilarious that the U.S. State Department would send gay athletes to Sochi on one hand, while prop up Saudi Arabia, where being gay means a death sentence via decapitation from a sword? We can't allow ourselves to forget how Saudi Arabia owns large shares in Western media like Twitter, Time-Warner and News Corp, no wonder the whole "gay rights" conservation hasn't been put in to context, you can't upset the Saudi shareholders can you?
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 pm

sepheronx wrote:I forgot formula 1. They are to have a race once a year, so that should attract more people. Apparently China has a lot of tourists visiting Russia often and Sochi is really one of the few sub tropical locations in Russia.  

@ Austin.

Dont be surprised. Russia is public enemy #1 in USA, as they played the soviet/Russian fear mongering for over 50 years, so there are plenty of people that have power and money from that era, running the show. Makes it worst now since there are fewer media mougals in USA now, so our news is very limited (may have different names and may seem there are a lot of news outlets, but most are run by the same conpanies). Russia is the big bad bear, because (regardless of Chinas spending) is a real competitor due to US having so little to no influence over Russia, and Russia can contest to what US does (even if it isnt as great as it once was). So it is easier to demonize the country than it is to praise it. Look at the debacle of the Sochi olympics and how many news outlets have lied about it to make it look worst than it is here?

Which brings me to my next point: Russia will never be or may not be a big tourist attraction for Europe or USA. It could be for Asia but not the other. Reason why, is because the media and politics west of Russia has played Russia up to be this big monster that everyone should hate and fear (Poland, UK, USA, Western Ukraine, Romania, Etc) while the other nations...they cant afford to travel. Germany and France being the exception whom seem to have tourists that go everywhere, even to some of the worst places in the world for thrill (I suppose).

Unfortunately, Russias image is damaged. But thankfully, knowing Indian family members who studied and lives in Russia, tells a different tale than what western media says. That Russians are not all racist monkeys like our media says and it isnt all just doom and gloom.

It is of course old, but things really has not changed much.r

i do not agree with your statement sepheronx,

you can not write off everyone in western europe and U.S.A to have this misplaced and baseless attitude towards Russia. i am well aware of "our" western media's misconduct towards russia and its allies but we do not all think like that.

personally, me and other most western veterans playing airsoft got respect for russian forces for what they endured in their own country's operations against an enemy we "west" fought too. i always defend Russia's position and right to sovereign decisions in world politics and errors on our "own" west side. and when we meet them in airsoft battle's we always appreciate the chance that they wish to skirmish with us. i admit, some american assholes cant watch their mouths against russian players but we take measures as well and kick them from the field if they do.

and this following section is not directed at you sepheronx but in general. it is not your fault but let me finish up here for the general public here,  im still trying to get the feel of the mentality around here on the forum, but to write the entire west off as a bunch of russian-haters is bullshit, i apologise for being so blunt. ive played with russian veterans in airsoft games but never got the chance to actually have a drink and talk about things. and i think that is a damn waste not being able to do that for things that happened in the cold war and people either misunderstand about how my generation of war veterans feels about russians today or perhaps what they hear trough social media or like this. "how the west hates russia". where do you base it on really?, a bunch of civilians filling in polls?. that will be damn accurate wont it?. people forming an opinion based on their own little world trough filtered media and never exited their safe,protected enviroment to see what is going on on the other side. i know one or two here speak with military experience reading trough the sentences in the post, propably a handfull of civilians too that do have a good picture how it works in the millitary. but the rest is just shouting a bunch of crap after reading up on wikipedia about weapon specs and no clue about how human behaviour fits in war or scenario's for that matter. a mass patrol boat assault with torpedoes on an armed modern frigate?. you cant be serious?, like that frigate would allow a dozen boats within its defense zone ?!. i think Russian warships have some of the best point defense systems of modern ships and their captains do not mess around.

and how some talk about deployments or operations in war, ...maybe first experience how its like to be shot at, get a explosion near you and hear the screaming guy that just lost his legs next to you you served with for two years, you had drinks, laughs and attended his marriage 6 months ago?. meanwhile you try to stay alive together while you put his and your tourniqet on his legs, write the date of the tourniqet on his forehead while he keeps telling you he cant feel his legs. in the meantime you better fight for your life because these jallah-jallah morons come at you dead-set on decapitating you and your friends and post your head for al-jazeera for the t.v dinner of your fammily back home. its all the same for the other branches of millitary, a pilot hearing over the radio his wingman burning alive after a missile strike and the the cockpit hinges buckled because of the strike?, or navymen knowing their comrades are drowning in the engine room where that acoustic torpedo just impacted and the room gets sealed off to prevent flooding to the rest of the ship?. or a helicopter going down after tail-rotor failure or engine fire after enemy fire?. its what we like among veterans to call "armchair-generals". what goes one here. i do not need any symphathy either, just to illustrate how real warfare goes, what do you think the russian troops endured in their time in Afghanistan or tsjechnia ?. or perhaps why not many like to talk about what happened there?.

the above was just to illustrate the lack of actual knowledge of millitary operations of some posts, the good ones are of course present too. im actually learning of some members about the operation and technology's of russian weaponry and im truly happy and gratefull with that. for example, a member rightfully pointed out the maintenance time for an F-22 and compared it to an top-athlete that performed to the top and needed long recovery. thats rightfully true. and so there are other good example's of people knowing what they talk about.

im sorry for going off-topic, and i do not wish to give the staff here trouble but seriously i felth i needed to speak up here and let members here know not everyone in the west have ill-opinions about russians and i hope on more regular meetings with russian airsoft gamers and veterans and perhaps share a bottle of vodka (no stereotype intended) and talk about stuff.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:18 pm

I live in Canada. The amount of crap being flung about Russia is astronomical. And we are apparently less biased than western europe and USA.

Sorry, dont mean to put so many into one basket. But, your media, your government and the people who put them there are to blame.

I know not everyone is some commie hating to the point of foaming through the mouth, but the amount of BS in media being portrayed is pretty big. But I read some good articles on Yahoo news and google. So it really isnt all that bad. But, just an FYI, its always best to read more than one source from more than one location. Truth may still not be there, but you may get a better idea what may be true.
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 pm

dont get your hopes up sepheronx, maybe you should inquire then why dutch airborne recon where on a flight of a canadian C-130 carrying vx nerve gas in November 2008 in Afghanistan from Kabul to Kandahar?. last time i checked canadians signed the geneva convention too....among with the OPCW one. you seriously believe your own goverment?.

and i do not represent anything of my country or goverment, im former millitary remember?. im an individual with my own opinion just like you i imagine.

TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Russian media makes America basically the great satan itself, you guys need to relax.

Yes, Western coverage from CNN to BBC of Russia has been a joke. And no, not because of constant criticism, but because of factual and fundamental lack of understanding on mostly everything that goes on regarding Russia.

Whatever. I am long over it. Look at it this way, it makes you look smarter when you can counter what they spew with actually educated insight.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia - Page 3 Empty Every wondered why the greatest ally

Post  flamming_python Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 pm

TR1 wrote:Russian media makes America basically the great satan itself, you guys need to relax.

Yes, Western coverage from CNN to BBC of Russia has been a joke. And no, not because of constant criticism, but because of factual and fundamental lack of understanding on mostly everything that goes on regarding Russia.

Whatever. I am long over it. Look at it this way, it makes you look smarter when you can counter what they spew with actually educated insight.

I got desensitized to it long ago, but what I can't get over is the sheer amount of useful idiots the Western media produces who right now are constantly posting crap on Facebook, forums, etc... these people just give me a headache. I can't even read one Russian related article without some muppet putting in an irrelevant comment about it's new laws about homosexual propaganda and so on.

It's upsetting - because it's bullshit 'bout my country yet people honestly believe it.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:31 am

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I thought this was interesting.

All of my information about the Warsaw Uprising said that Stalin goaded the pro UK resistance in Warsaw to rise up because the Soviets were near and then stopped his forces and waited while the Germans did to his political opponents what he wanted to do himself but without losing soldiers or using ammo himself and using up German soldiers and german ammo.

I found this article very interesting:

Septuagenarian myth of the "betrayal" of the Warsaw Uprising
    As "inactive" Red Army
    Maxim Scrubs

70 years ago, October 2, 1944, ended began on 1 August of the same year, the Warsaw uprising. Since then gained widespread myth that the Red Army was allegedly "betrayed" the rebels, not wanting to help the anti-Soviet Polish Home Army, which played a major role in the uprising. In hundreds of publications repeated assertion that the Soviet troops halted the offensive because of political considerations, "not wanting" to go to the aid of the insurgents.

Meanwhile, in fact, about any suspension of offensive against Warsaw axis, and the speech was not. Since the end of July 1944, the Red Army tried to capture Warsaw, to start taking Prague. In this case we are not talking about the Czech capital, but the Warsaw suburb of the same name, separated from the main part of town to the Vistula River.
    Here is that on this occasion the German generals wrote in his memoirs. Field Marshal Heinz Guderian in his memoirs, "Memoirs of a Soldier", recalled: "2 August 1st Polish Army" free democratic Polish Armed Forces "(we are talking about are often created in the Soviet Union of the Polish Army - auth.) Moved three divisions on the offensive across the Vistula on a plot of Pulawy - Deblin. Despite the heavy losses, it still managed to grab one beachhead and hold it until the Soviet reinforcements.
    Under Magnushev on the Vistula opponent also managed to create a beachhead. Troops crossed the Vistula on this site, had the task to move along the coast to Warsaw, but were stopped at the river Pilica.
    However, on August 8 at the command of the 9th German Army had the impression that the Russian attempt to seize Warsaw sudden blow to the progress of resistance broke the German defense, despite the uprising of the Poles, which, from the point of view of the enemy, started early. "

Thus, according to Guderian first Soviet attempt in late July - early August 1944 to capture Warsaw "smashed against the resistance of the German defense." According to him, only by August 8 when trying to capture Warsaw Red Army lost 337 tanks.

British military historian Liddell Hart in his book "The Second World War," writes: "In the area of ​​Warsaw the Germans entered into battle three relatively strong SS Panzer Division, came to the front on July 29: two of them were transferred from the south of Russia, one - from Italy. Causing a counterstrike from the north, they penetrated the Russian position and forced them to withdraw. Russian attempt to move from bridgeheads on the Vistula Germans repelled with the help of reinforcements arriving from Germany. "

And what happened next? Hitler's General Kurt Tippelskirch, who later became a military historian, in his book "History of the Second World War," wrote: "After the blow of Warsaw in early August, has not reached the goal, Russian shifted their attack to the south. Here they are in pursuit of the 4th Panzer Army created two small bridgehead, one of which - the north - was immediately to the south east of the mouth of the river Pilica Varki at the front of the newly created 9th Army, the other - in the 80 km to the south, at the pool. For these bridgeheads in the month of August were made very heavy, which took place with varying degrees of success fighting. Because of the many difficulties experienced by the German troops on the Eastern Front, repeatedly at the last moment managed to concentrate sufficient forces have continuously expanded the bridgehead to narrow their counterattacks and did not allow them to implement the operational breakthrough in Radom. "

Prague Soviet troops managed to take only after heavy fighting in mid-September. "Lie dormant" no one was going - barely clearing the Germans from Prague, the Polish soldiers of the pro-Soviet Polish Army and the Red Army began forcing the Vistula. With the heavy losses they were able to land on the other side. But to connect with the rebels could not - they departed from the coast of the Vistula. General Tadeusz Bor-Komorowski, commander of the rebels by Warsaw, has negotiated the surrender. General were provided with comfortable living conditions in captivity, his officers and men - surrender to the status of prisoners of war.

Surrendering and then wait for the liberation by the Red Army or the Allied forces subordinate Bur Komarovsky and he began to propagate the myth of how they had been betrayed, abandoned, etc.

To verify the absurdity of such statements, it is enough to read the description alone German heavy fighting against Soviet troops in July, August and September 1944 in Warsaw direction ...

Maxim Scrubs

Source: http://vpk-news.ru/articles/22121

Last edited by GarryB on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding source)
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 am

@Garry: if you can read Vietnamese... you can see clearly why the Soviet was stopped outside of Warszawa

https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi%E1%BA%BFn_d%E1%BB%8Bch_Lublin-Brest (in Vietnamese)

Thanks to a certain great team of Vietnamese editors, the Vietnamese Wikipedia does not fell under the West's propaganda.

*happy to be a Vietnamese* Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

1ffmm likes this post

kvs
    kvs

Russophobia, Common Lies-Nonsense on Russia - Page 3 Empty Hate campaigns against Russia in Finland and the west

Post  kvs Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 am

Here is a post from another blog by karl1haushofer about a recent murder in Finland:

Anti-Russian feelings have been steadily rising in Finland for a long time and the crisis in Ukraine have accelerated the process. Various internet boards, social media and newspaper’s comment sections are full of hateful and anti-Russian comments.

The media is even “helping” the process by purposely flaming anti-Russian feelings within the population. All of the major media outlets are more or less anti-Russian with Helsingin Sanomat (our biggest newspaper) and Iltasanomat (biggest tabloid paper) leading the way, both owned by Sanoma group.

Since Finland has a big Russian minority I have been afraid if they might be subjected to a violence or attacks because of this growing hatred. Many Russians living in Finland have been telling how they are more and more afraid of revealing their ethnicity in fear of aggressive responses.

A couple of weeks ago a 58 year old Russian woman was brutally murdered in Helsinki. She was beaten for hours and finally her body was found at a shore of the Baltic sea. The mainstream media did not say that the victim was Russian until it was revealed in the social media.

The murderer was found and his name is Jukka Romppainen. He is a 28 year old leader of the youth group of Finland’s biggest party National Coalition. The murdered woman was a neighbor of Romppainen.

Romppainen is a known Russian hater in social media. His Facebook wall was full of anti-Russian messages. He was very vocal against the Crimean operation of Russia and had a lot of racist remarks about Russia and Russian people in his Facebook page.

In spite of this the Finnish police does not believe that a racial hate was a motivation for this murder, even when it is known that Romppainen both hated Russia and knew that this woman was a Russian, and there is no other sensible motive for the murder. Also the fact that the authorities wanted to conceal the victim’s nationality speaks some volumes. It is not good publicity for Finland that the leader of a youth group of Finland’s biggest party brutally beat an old Russian woman to her death.

I hope that this is not a new trend here where Russians have to be concerned about their safety. There is a lot of hate on the air, but so far things have not escalated to open violence against Russians.

There is no analogue for this media hate propaganda in Russia. Westerners aren't being murdered by hate filled Russians venting
    their primitive frustrations.

I read all sorts of outright lies about Ukraine and Russia's "invasion" day in and day out. The western media propaganda spew uses
    hate language and spins information to push the ridiculous narrative that the Donbas is a 100% Russian operation and not an uprising
    by the locals against the Kiev coup regime. NATO cannot allow its open support for the coup regime to be challenged by facts that
    expose both NATO and the regime as bloody butchers and war criminals. Various "human rights" groups in the west write reports
    on mass graves uncovered in formerly regime controlled territory in a way that makes it look like the rebels are doing similar levels
    of extra-judicial killings by using simple fudge words and without a shred of evidence to back this spin.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:55 am

Holy crap, that is getting pretty serious... 

Thankfully I haven't seen much of that in my area. - Though US citizens are very critical (and idiotic) when it comes to the Russian government and the country itself, most of us have no feeling against the people themselves. At least not that I've seen. Either way, this is the direct result of a broad propaganda campaign and a populations that is willing to gobble it up....
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Mike E wrote:Holy crap, that is getting pretty serious... 

Thankfully I haven't seen much of that in my area. - Though US citizens are very critical (and idiotic) when it comes to the Russian government and the country itself, most of us have no feeling against the people themselves. At least not that I've seen. Either way, this is the direct result of a broad propaganda campaign and a populations that is willing to gobble it up....

Better red then dead, the Communist wich hunts, etc. Your country was worst than most in dealing with Russian's and or Soviet citizens. I still hear the same sentiments from your ilk. You may not have heard it, but you may not hear a lot when you have your head in sand.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:36 pm

sepheronx wrote:

Your country was worst than most in dealing with Russian's and or Soviet citizens.  I still hear the same sentiments from your ilk.  You may not have heard it, but you may not hear a lot when you have your head in sand.
    "Was" - That's the key word in there. Back in the Cold War our country was extremely hostile to the CCCP and Russian's themselves, but that is a thing of the past now... I know a few Russian immigrants and not a single one has trouble living over here. If anything, having a "pro-Russian" stance on events is much more controversial. Sepheronx, honestly, I would see it IF it was prevalent here.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

Your country was worst than most in dealing with Russian's and or Soviet citizens.  I still hear the same sentiments from your ilk.  You may not have heard it, but you may not hear a lot when you have your head in sand.
    "Was" - That's the key word in there. Back in the Cold War our country was extremely hostile to the CCCP and Russian's themselves, but that is a thing of the past now... I know a few Russian immigrants and not a single one has trouble living over here. If anything, having a "pro-Russian" stance on events is much more controversial. Sepheronx, honestly, I would see it IF it was prevalent here.

I would admit that the average person in US has far more to worry about, but it is prevalent in our media regarding Russia. Not everyone though gets objective news, thus there are a lot of people with the mindset that Russia = evil. There was an old viewpoint that during USSR, average person in US viewed Russians as a whole as evil commies, while in USSR the view was that only the US government is evil. After reading how US citizens are (face it, MP.net is a good example of them) feel about many in the middle east where they want to turn the area into glass, kinda gives me the impression they can change their viewpoints rather quickly towards similar with Russia.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

I would admit that the average person in US has far more to worry about, but it is prevalent in our media regarding Russia.  Not everyone though gets objective news, thus there are a lot of people with the mindset that Russia = evil.  There was an old viewpoint that during USSR, average person in US viewed Russians as a whole as evil commies, while in USSR the view was that only the US government is evil.  After reading how US citizens are (face it, MP.net is a good example of them) feel about many in the middle east where they want to turn the area into glass, kinda gives me the impression they can change their viewpoints rather quickly towards similar with Russia.
    I'm talking about the people here, not our media or government... The MSM here demonizes Russia and (in certain cases) Russians as well as much as they can. Yes, the majority of MURICANS' here dislike Russia because of the Cold War and our MSM etc, but that's not what I'm trying to say. - The people here don't mind Russian people and their culture, which is my point... 

MP.net is a terrible example... That forum is full of a bunch of hot-headed pre-teens that get all butt-hurt when someones disagrees with them. The Joe Shmoe American doesn't know crap about our forces anyway... 

Many of us are opposed to intervention, more so intervention in the Middle East. Those that aren't are typically your average idiotic Republican on Democrat. Thankfully, almost every Independent here is opposed to intervention, so there always that to think about...............

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:31 am