Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+82
Isos
Jokerpawn14
kvs
miketheterrible
Biggie
MechanizedOne
Borschty
leejee
Arn0ld
TsarOfBaghdad
nerovergil
PapaDragon
vitalyivanovvdv
KGBeast
Kolya
mehdi
StreetRanger
ult
Crisvb3965
par far
2SPOOKY4U
franco
Captain Nemo
Book.
suzu
Kyo
mx109
Werewolf
Hannibal Barca
Mike E
magnumcromagnon
Viktor
Swede55
Karkota
George1
ThatItalianGuy
Airbornewolf
Morpheus Eberhardt
CyricDamascus
macedonian
aar88
Mamut
mutantsushi
Asf
Firebird
sepheronx
VladimirSahin
j.mac
AlfaT8
mig7
Vann7
Jyshky
etaepsilonk
collegeboy16
TR1
Admin
As Sa'iqa
Regular
calripson
Ak103
BTRfan
mbwilding
Pirate
Cyberspec
Pugnax
ssk1777
Legionary74
KomissarBojanchev
SWAT Pointman
YuriBierazo
Russian Patriot
GarryB
flamming_python
Mr.Kalishnikov47
Jame2702
lorenzopopov
Gagydza
Pervius
NationalRus
Wan2345
Andrey Ponyrko
86 posters

The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread

Asf

The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread

Post  Asf Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 pm

j.mac wrote:
    Thank you, at the moment I am training physically, and I have just started learning russian last night I basically know nothing but how to pronounce a couple letters at the moment. Training wise I am doing a mix of body weight exercises, lots of running and power lifts, for example power cleans weighted chin ups, weighted pull ups, weighted dips. Once I think I am more ready I am going to call the russian embassy. Also, what will happen if they do not make foreign units for the foreigners joining? will I just drafted into a regular unit?
    Where is no foreign units in the Russian Army. 99% sure about it. This is the reason why language is an issue. If foreigners are accepted to join the Army, they are sent to the regular units. I recall a video about an american-born conscript deserted from the Army. But he wasn't a volunteer, just a poor fellow with socialization problems. He was the son of soviet emigrants born in the USA, who came back to Russia

Look, man, if you want, I can provide you with some help with russian language. I'm no way a tutor or something, but a native speaker and I can answer on some of your questions. It'll help me improve my English in return  Smile  Even if you won't join the Army, knowing language is a good thing. Send me a PM if you like.

Last edited by Asf on Fri May 09, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Asf

The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread

Post  Asf Fri May 09, 2014 7:16 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Most squads, ours for sure - kept our own hidden cache of 'emergency rations'
    Mostly consisting of what we stole from the goods warehouse while unloading supplies, stacking crates, etc...  Twisted Evil
    Man, I wonder how your company starshina didn't know about solders keeping food in the barracks)

Things have changed since then, I heard solders have "tea rooms" now  Smile And no elders any more, whole unit is from the same conscription wave.
    j.mac

Post  j.mac Sun May 11, 2014 12:24 am

Thank you everyone, I'm going to do everything within my power to get the chance to join. I just hope I actually get the chance to be in an army of warriors, in a combat roll, thanks for advice and info everyone
    mutantsushi

Post  mutantsushi Sun May 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Regular wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:Yeah, don't bother calling the Russian embassy until you can hold a conversation in broken Russian at least.
    For some reason I imagined Graham Phillips, the guy in Eastern Ukraine calling embassy and trying to enlist.
    ha! I always laugh at his British accented Russian. Laughing WITH him of course...:-)
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon May 12, 2014 2:29 am

Asf wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:
    Most squads, ours for sure - kept our own hidden cache of 'emergency rations'
    Mostly consisting of what we stole from the goods warehouse while unloading supplies, stacking crates, etc...  Twisted Evil
    Man, I wonder how your company starshina didn't know about solders keeping food in the barracks)

That shit we stole (some we received for free from this or that source though) we kept hidden in different buildings for example the 'uchebny korpus' (education building), we had our own classroom there to make the best of essentially.

But having said that we did have food in the barracks too; people used to receive packages from home with all kinds of things like salo, chocolate, kolbasa, condensed milk, etc... the starshina (company sergeant major for non-Russian folk) would inspect it all and would always be easily bribed with a bag of chocolates to keep the inspection brief and far from exhaustive, and w/o any needless questions about who is going to store what where.
    This even got to the point where one of guys was smuggling in hashish this way through these packages for a whole 6 months; I guess the starshina would have put a stop to this had he suspected that this was the sort of thing that was being transported in under his nose. Shame he didn't  pirat 

Real problem with keeping food in the barracks was the officers coming to inspect, which they did every morning; all your drawers and private possessions; so you had to make sure you hid it well. In the first half of my service they paid it little mind and essentially turned a blind eye, but eventually new management turned up and regulations started to be followed more and more stringently; starshina was pressed into action too - basically it ended up with everything suspect being insta-confiscated on discovery and eventually our huge secret stash of tushenka, conserved fish, juice and so on being discovered in the classroom and ransacked/confiscated too.

Things have changed since then, I heard solders have "tea rooms" now  Smile 

You always had those AFAIK, komnaty psyxologicheskoj razgruzki (psychological discharge rooms), I would have thought that they are mandatory for military units by regulation. They are used when a serviceman has relatives coming to visit; so that they all have a nice room to relax in, with sofas, nice paintings on the wall, a kettle, table, etc...
    But when there was a decent officer on duty and our squad wanted to gather together to celebrate something or whatever, we could get about an hour in or so in them as well.

Failing that, you could always peel your potatoes quick when it's your squad's turn on it, and then you'll have some time to relax in the kitchen/dinning hall, drink tea or whatever.

Personally, I used to drink my tea in the power station
    Point is, you could always find a way to do something, if you know how and where to look  unshaven 

And no elders any more, whole unit is from the same conscription wave.

Would only be possible if people served no more than half a year. As people serve 1 year, and there are 2 conscription periods throughout the year - there will always be a generation that has served 6 months more than the other.
    Not as harsh as it was before, with the 2 year service and 4-5 different 'waves'/'informal' ranks of seniority; but yeah if you screw around and create problems you'll get your ass kicked one way or the other. Maybe by now though they've gotten rid of dedovshina completely, it did seem to gradually be on the way out back when I served.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 am

flamming_python wrote:Personally, I used to drink my tea in the power station

Let me guess, was it tea + milk Very Happy You've been living in Britain for far too long Very Happy If Russians drink tea then it's chifir with 5 dilmah bags and right from 1 litre glass jar Very Happy
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon May 12, 2014 8:25 am

You always had those AFAIK, komnaty psyxologicheskoj razgruzki
    There were no kettle in it, only a TV and bookshelves. We had to buy it ourselves.
    Would only be possible if people served no more than half a year. As people serve 1 year, and there are 2 conscription periods throughout the year - there will always be a generation that has served 6 months more than the other.
    3-4 mounths in a training center means if you got conscripted in a spring, you come to combat unit right before the autumn (the end of previous conscription demobilisation), so "old" solders are already thinks about civil life and make their albums, so they don't have time to feel their power over a "youngsters". One year of service isn't enough to become a true "ded", an entity made by grim soviet genious solely to install the fear in hearts of men.
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Mon May 12, 2014 10:29 pm

In my unit we did not have a "ded" because we had to deal with the commander and his disciplinary rules. I always hated cutting potatoes because there would always be that douchebag over on watch who would yell at us when we talk too much. We wouldn't dare think of hiding any stuff in the barracks it was very hard during year of 2008 because thats when they really started putting the army in shape and we were fresh recruits. Also "dedovoshchnia" was getting very low in the army since Putin started modernizing the army, it started finishing up because corruption is going down in the armed forces but it is still higher then it should be. For example there was a tank company and I saw they were using the tanks for fun I dont know where the officer in charge was, But after training when I volunteered for kitchen duty me and the guys would sneak vodka and we made sure we dont get drunk because if we do we are screwed.
    Mamut

The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread - Page 8 Empty Muslims in Russian Army

Post  Mamut Tue May 13, 2014 12:18 am

Are there any muslims on lower or higher positions within Russian Army?

Are there any forms of religion differentiation when someone is of different religion, or nationality (foreigners)?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue May 13, 2014 12:30 am

The Russian Army is still a largely conscript army so of course there are muslims in the Russian Army.... why wouldn't there be?

They let athiests in too BTW.
    Mamut

Post  Mamut Tue May 13, 2014 12:32 am

Mamut wrote:Are there any muslims on lower or higher positions within Russian Army?

Are there any forms of religion differentiation when someone is of different religion, or nationality (foreigners)?

I know, but are there any inner wars within the Army between guys of different religion and nationality?
    Asf

Post  Asf Tue May 13, 2014 10:33 am

There are inner struggles sometimes, but they are based on nationality and personal issues, not a religion. Never heard about a religion war in the Army. Russia is a very religion tolerant country for more than 1000 years, there were little to no religion wars in our history. Many wars with muslims (or other christians) occured but they weren't driven by religion hatred as the main cause of war.

Btw, conscription from Chechnia and Dagestan is quite low (actually, no conscript from those republics is taken to the Army units, only some to the internal troops (VV)). It was a response for the behavior of Dagestan conscripts and the war in Chechnia. Persionally I do not think this is right, as it's a flaw of our military law back from 90s, commanders do not have any legit right to make solders carry out their orders in peacetime without much bureaucratism. It of course do not include possible riots of mass fights in a unit as it's an emergency situation, but open a window for lazy dumbasses who do not respect orders. So the modern Russian Army is an army of volunteers in some sence Very Happy And many of caucasus conscripts were seen as unwanted troublemakers.

Paradoxically many young men from Dagestan and Chechnia actually spend a lot of resources to join service in the Army as this is the way for them to gain profits for education in univercities - nobody can reject your right to serve because of your nationality, so they try to be conscripted from other regions.

Last edited by Asf on Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 am

X2 on the last part, in Dagestan families trying to get sons into military is pretty widespread now. Unemployment in the region is no coincidence.

All the better, given the manpower shortage in the Russian armed forces...assuming officers are competent enough to prevent issues.
    Mamut

Post  Mamut Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am

And how's the treatment of Foreigners of different nationality and (maybe) different religion, who are willing to serve for Russia and it's interests abroad and in Russia?
    Asf

Post  Asf Tue May 13, 2014 11:26 am

Should we create a forum section for those who seek to join the Russian Army?

I never heard about discrimination of the foreign soldiers. Most of it are from former USSR, so they are like russians actually - same culture, ect. Even if they are from muslim republics of the former USSR, still where is many muslims from Tatarstan and Caucasus in the Army

I think it's a matter of personal socialization skills, as in every other place.
    Mamut

Post  Mamut Tue May 13, 2014 11:36 am

Asf wrote:Should we create a forum section for those who seek to join the Russian Army?

I never heard about discrimination of the foreign soldiers. Most of it are from former USSR, so they are like russians actually - same culture, ect. Even if they are from muslim republics of the former USSR, still where is many muslims from Tatarstan and Caucasus in the Army

I think it's a matter of personal socialization skills, as in every other place.

I don't think we need a special forum for us willing to serve in the Russian Army... I think this topic will be enough for this discussion.

My issue is a special case: I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina, borned as Muslim, willing to serve in Russian Army. I'm learning Russian these days and I hope I will be able to enlist to Russian Army via Russian Embassy in our capital Sarajevo.

Also, does anyone know how long can a foreigner stay and advance in the Russian Army even after one get's a permanent Russian citizenship? (I've read on Wikipedia that foreigners can sign a 5-year contract which after 3 years you can apply for Russian citezinship - can I stay in Russian Army for life?)
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue May 13, 2014 11:40 am

Plenty of Muslims in the Russian military and at all levels - conscripts, contract servicemen, civilian workers, NCOs, officers.

Pork is still on the menu though
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Mamut wrote:
    Asf wrote:Should we create a forum section for those who seek to join the Russian Army?

I don't think we need a special forum for us willing to serve in the Russian Army... I think this topic will be enough for this discussion.

My issue is a special case: I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina, borned as Muslim, willing to serve in Russian Army. I'm learning Russian these days and I hope I will be able to enlist to Russian Army via Russian Embassy in our capital Sarajevo.

Also, does anyone know how long can a foreigner stay and advance in the Russian Army even after one get's a permanent Russian citizenship? (I've read on Wikipedia that foreigners can sign a 5-year contract which after 3 years you can apply for Russian citezinship - can I stay in Russian Army for life?)

No-one can say for sure right at the moment on the topic of foreigners applying to the Russian military, it's been discussed on the forum already plenty of times. Long story short, there probably isn't legislation for it just yet but it's somewhat plausible that cases may be considered on an individual basis.

Since you're from Bosnia you'll have an advantage in terms of learning Russian and also some of the cultural, social specifics and so on, Muslim or not.

And defo once you get Russian citizenship you can stay in the Russian military until retirement if you so choose.
    Once you served 20 years (AFAIK in any capacity or role/rank), you will get a flat and it should be perfectly possible to get one in a major city such as St. Petersburg for example. Pensions are offered after 20 years of service too, so you'll be all set (although there is some talk of raising that to 25 years).

If you're in it for the long-haul than my advice would be to serve out those 20 years, receive your flat, and then retire from the military, find something else to do and enjoy your life. Probably isn't much point in staying any longer - unless you're going for General  pirat
    Asf

Post  Asf Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm

can I stay in Russian Army for life?
    45 years is the limiting age for service (I don't know is there such word combination in English  Smile ) iirc. More for high-ranking officers only. Nowadays you gets flat as a part of military credit (which is paid by the state if you stay on the service) as I know.
    aar88
    aar88

Post  aar88 Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 pm

I don't know if this is hijacking or not, I'll move the post to a new thread if so...

Just googled for some alternative info regarding non-Soviet citizens allowed to join the Russian Armed Forces, it got me here. I have also seen various sources mentioning this (I'm a new member so I cannot post links, google these):

- rt "Russian Army welcomes foreigners"
    - rttnews "Russia's military to recruit more foreigners"
    - themoscownews "Russia's new foreign legion"
    - ria "Russia military looks to recruit more foreigners"

I got a reply from the Russian Embassy, but they didn't seem updated about this and linked an old statement from the official army website mentioning that only former Soviet citizens can join.

I sent another reply to another Russian Embassy, I'll see if they can confirm the information above. I'm an ex-marine from Western Europe wanting to join the Russian Army due to extreme defence cuts, political correctness and traitor-governments in the West. So I will spend at least a year, around the clock, learning Russian, spoken & written, as soon I can confirm that they do accept non-soviet citizens into their ranks.
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 am

I've google-translated the last edition of the Federal law about military service:

Article 33. Requirements for citizens ( foreigners ) , entering military service under the contract

1. Citizen ( foreigner ) entering military service under the contract, must possess a state language of the Russian Federation , as well as meet the medical and psychological requirements of professional military service to specific military specialties . To determine compliance with the requirements of a citizen held medical examination and activities professional psychological selection .

2 . Medical examination of citizens ( foreigners) is conducted in accordance with the Regulations on military-medical examination . According to the results of a medical examination is given on the validity of the conclusion of the citizen ( foreign citizen) for military service in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 5.1 hereof. For military service under the contract may be adopted citizen ( foreigner ) recognized fit for military service or fit for military service with minor restrictions.

3 . Arrangements for professional psychological selection conducted by experts on professional psychological selection in the order determined by the Regulations on the military service. According to the results of professional psychological selection shall be made one of the following conclusions about the suitability of the citizen ( foreign citizen) for military service under the contract for specific military positions :
    (see text in the previous edition)
    recommended in the first place - the first category ;
    recommended - the second category ;
    recommended conditional - the third category ;
    not recommended - the fourth category .
    For military service under the contract can not be accepted citizen ( foreigner ) , referred to the results of the professional psychological selection to the fourth category of professional suitability .

4 . Citizen ( foreigner ) entering into military service under the contract, except for the requirements specified in paragraph 1 of this Article shall also comply with the requirements on the level of :
    education;
    qualifications;
    physical fitness.

5 . Requirements provided for in paragraphs 3 and 4 of this Article shall be established by the Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation or the head of the federal executive body , in which the present Federal law provides for military service .

So no, you dosen't have to be from the former USSR to join. Sometimes I hate our stupid bureaucrats
    aar88
    aar88

Post  aar88 Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Asf. Where did you find it?

What does "possess a state language of the Russian Federation" mean? Does it mean that I should possess Russian language skills?
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed May 14, 2014 3:33 pm

aar88 wrote:Asf. Where did you find it?
    In a russian law database  Very Happy I've been searching changes about the military reserve system in Russia: there will be a "contract reservistes" in our army, I seek to become one of them, but I can't understand is there somekind of short courses for reservistes or something.
    It's "Federal law №53-FZ "About Military Duty and Military Service" ("Федеральный закон №53-ФЗ "О воинской обязанности и военной службе" in Russian). It contains basic principles of military service in Russia (e.g. conscription and recruitment, army reserve, military education, ect.)
    aar88 wrote:What does "possess a state language of the Russian Federation" mean? Does it mean that I should possess Russian language skills?
    Yes, you literally should be able to speak and read/write in Russian.
    j.mac

Post  j.mac Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm

aar88 wrote:I don't know if this is hijacking or not, I'll move the post to a new thread if so...

Just googled for some alternative info regarding non-Soviet citizens allowed to join the Russian Armed Forces, it got me here. I have also seen various sources mentioning this (I'm a new member so I cannot post links, google these):

- rt "Russian Army welcomes foreigners"
    - rttnews "Russia's military to recruit more foreigners"
    - themoscownews "Russia's new foreign legion"
    - ria "Russia military looks to recruit more foreigners"

I got a reply from the Russian Embassy, but they didn't seem updated about this and linked an old statement from the official army website mentioning that only former Soviet citizens can join.

I sent another reply to another Russian Embassy, I'll see if they can confirm the information above. I'm an ex-marine from Western Europe wanting to join the Russian Army due to extreme defence cuts, political correctness and traitor-governments in the West. So I will spend at least a year, around the clock, learning Russian, spoken & written, as soon I can confirm that they do accept non-soviet citizens into their ranks.
    Hey, I am trying to learn russian but at the moment I have been having trouble! hopefully I can make it into a combat/elite unit. Can someone go through the medical for me? what does it consist of?
    j.mac

The "I want to join the Russian Army" Thread - Page 8 Empty Army medical details?

Post  j.mac Fri May 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Hello, I was wondering If someone here who has served could go into detail of what happens during the medical check ups prior to joining. As some of you may know I have a mild curve in my spine which causes no discomfort and you cannot really see any abnormalities in my back. Also I was told that during the medical its mostly just looking and they never really touch you/feel your spine is this true?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm