Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+79
ALAMO
Russian_Patriot_
lyle6
lancelot
Nomad5891
Backman
mnztr
slasher
Arrow
franco
xeno
Kiko
Scorpius
thegopnik
Begome
The-thing-next-door
owais.usmani
DerWolf
Walther von Oldenburg
PhSt
Tingsay
miketheterrible
jhelb
Hannibal Barca
dino00
LMFS
PapaDragon
Godric
Hole
Nibiru
Kimppis
Singular_Transform
Rmf
x_54_u43
kvs
Project Canada
Mindstorm
par far
medo
Singular_trafo
Flanky
max steel
fragmachine
Karl Haushofer
Big_Gazza
victor1985
zepia
Neutrality
GunshipDemocracy
Zivo
mutantsushi
macedonian
Cyberspec
collegeboy16
Werewolf
marcinko
Kyo
Vann7
higurashihougi
navyfield
KomissarBojanchev
Mike E
AlfaT8
Morpheus Eberhardt
magnumcromagnon
zino
Regular
flamming_python
Austin
Serbia Forever
Viktor
George1
Pervius
Russian Patriot
NationalRus
ekacipta021292
Admin
GarryB
sepheronx
83 posters

Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia - Page 10 Empty Re: Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia

Post  sepheronx Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Magnum will like this:

Researchers from the Moscow State University have created a super-fast photonic switch

Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia - Page 10 H9MEEhv

The device, which is a disk with a diameter of 250 nanometers, is able to switch the optical pulses in the time, numbering in femtoseconds (a femtosecond is a millionth of a billionth of a fraction of a second)

Researchers from the Moscow State University Lomonosov as part of an international group established ultrafast photonic switch that works on silicon nanostructures. This device can be the basis of future computers and allow data transfer at a tremendous speed. Development of scientists presented in an article in the journal Nano Letters.

This development refers to the photonics - a discipline that emerged in the sixties of the last century, simultaneously with the appearance of lasers. The basic idea of ​​photonics - to do the same, making the electronics, but with the replacement of electrons by photons of light - photons. Their main advantage is that they hardly interact with each other and with the environment in which the subject, and therefore more preferable to transmit information than electrons. This can primarily be used in computers, which is the main indicator of performance. But at that time, as the basis of modern electronic devices - transistors - have characteristic dimensions of less than one hundred nanometers, the size of the prototype optical transistors were on the scale of a few micrometers. The structures also capable in this sense compete with electronics, such as plasmon nanoparticles are characterized by low efficiency and high losses. So the situation for a compact photonic scheme is deadlock.

But three years ago, researchers at a time of several research groups stumbled on an important effect: in nanoparticles of silicon were found strong resonance in the visible region of the spectrum, the so-called magnetic dipole resonances. This response is characterized by a strong localization of light waves in the subwavelength scale inside the nanoparticles. Effect interested many researchers, however, according to Maxim Shcherbakov, first author of the article in Nano Letters, no reason not to think that this discovery can form the basis of a compact and very fast photonic switch.

Nanoparticles are able to make the Australian National University by electron-beam lithography followed by plasma etching. This was done by graduate student Alexander Shorohova that took place there in the framework of an internship scholarship of the President of the Russian Federation. These samples were sent to Moscow, and all subsequent experiments were performed with them at the Physics Department of Moscow State University in the laboratory of nano-optics and metamaterials.

"In our experimental studies we have with my colleague Pauline Vabishchevich, an employee of the Physics Department of Moscow State University, used a large set of different nonlinear optical techniques associated with the interaction of femtosecond laser pulses with matter - said Maxim Shcherbakov. - We used femtosecond laser system, purchased under the program of development of the Moscow State University.

Ultimately, the researchers had received the device, which is a disk with a diameter of 250 nanometers that can switch between optical pulses during numbering in femtoseconds (a femtosecond is a millionth of a billionth of a fraction of a second). This allows the operating time in the future to create a device information transmission and processing speeds in the tens and hundreds of terabits per second. This speed would allow download thousands of feature films of high quality in one second.

Jobs created by the scientists of Moscow State University photonic switch is reduced to sending him two laser pulses, which, thanks to the presence in the silicon nanoparticles of magnetic resonance, very well communicate with each other. If the pulses arrive simultaneously, one them, managing, interacts with the second and quenches it due to the effect of two-photon absorption. If the pulses come with a gap in time just a hundred femtoseconds, the interaction does not occur, and the second pulse passes through the nanostructure has not changed.

"We managed to develop a framework, which also reduced to" no "to the role of free media, - said Maxim Shcherbakov. - Free media - that is, electrons and holes - in integrated photonics devices traditionally impose severe restrictions on speed signal conversion. Our work represents an important step for the development of active photonic devices - gates, transistors, and so on. N. Features of technology applied by us in our development, now allow to use it in the integrated circuits of silicon photonics. In the short term, we intend to verify these nanoparticles in the integrated performance. "
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia - Page 10 Empty Re: Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:54 pm

"Bruce Wayne? Calling Bruce Wayne?" - Wayne Industries secretary. Wink Cool

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:55 pm

I think this is the 10th time that this tram has been posted as new news.

Will be more interesting if we actually get the news of it supposedly to be sold to China.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 pm

sepheronx wrote:I think this is the 10th time that this tram has been posted as new news.

Will be more interesting if we actually get the news of it supposedly to be sold to China.

Well it's not so much a news item, as it is a UVZ promo. Wink
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:02 pm

I am hoping that this thing actually is sold. I have heard that some place in China ordered it or was interested in it. But nothing since.

Problem is, Russia creates a lot of cool looking items but many of them don't get sold. I have a feeling this one will end up the same. People want more practical rather than batman looking (much like that Kamaz vehicle or whatever it was that people call the batmobile. God, I hate batman and anything batman related). They need to make more practical. Wider seats, more seats, comfortable seats, etc. People are getting fatter. Need bigger seats.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:47 pm

sepheronx wrote:I am hoping that this thing actually is sold.  I have heard that some place in China ordered it or was interested in it.  But nothing since.

Problem is, Russia creates a lot of cool looking items but many of them don't get sold.  I have a feeling this one will end up the same.  People want more practical rather than batman looking (much like that Kamaz vehicle or whatever it was that people call the batmobile.  God, I hate batman and anything batman related).  They need to make more practical.  Wider seats, more seats, comfortable seats, etc.  People are getting fatter.  Need bigger seats.

Odd, wasn't there talk about these Bat-trams being bought for Sochi, tourist hot spots are probably the best place for cool looking items like these.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 am

Well, so far, I haven't seen anything.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:27 am

sepheronx wrote:I am hoping that this thing actually is sold.  I have heard that some place in China ordered it or was interested in it.  But nothing since.

Problem is, Russia creates a lot of cool looking items but many of them don't get sold.  I have a feeling this one will end up the same.  People want more practical rather than batman looking (much like that Kamaz vehicle or whatever it was that people call the batmobile.  God, I hate batman and anything batman related).  They need to make more practical.  Wider seats, more seats, comfortable seats, etc.  People are getting fatter.  Need bigger seats.

More practical? From my understanding UVZ's Atom tram was half the price of the average Euro-tram, but 5-times the quality.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:30 am

Well, that is good it is if true. But I still have yet to see orders.

Post  Guest Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:53 am

Well i think this is proposed interior of this thing

Νew Technologies and Innovation Development in Russia - Page 10 1405662931_43795

looks quite spacious and seats are huge, only 28 seats per car.

However...this is what transport blogger and tram driver Ivan Solomin wrote about it for RT some time ago: https://www.rt.com/news/171452-r1-badass-tram-presentatiob/

I did see one article regarding it where some people with knowledge explained how its front end design has some flaws in terms of security/tracks but i dont think thats something extremly worrying. They promised it would be operative for 2018. World Cup in Russia.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:20 pm

I think those seats are bigger in picture than upfront.

That said, I am hoping to see it in use. It is just no solid orders yet which is bothersome.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Militarov wrote:They promised it would be operative for 2018. World Cup in Russia.

Yap, that's the one.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:21 am

Dunno how to feel about this:
    A Hong Kong investor is to buy out 64.9% of shares in Yota Devices

Seems that Rostec still holds enough shares so they can block certain things, but essentially, the Chinese investment company now owns majority of shares in Yota Devices which makes the Yota Phone.  Not really Russian anymore.  I guess there are the other Russian phone tech companies whom to still throw weight behind.  Guess Rostec made a lot of money and decided to cancel holding majority shares in it.  I wonder if this deal will hamper Yota Devices from opening up the plant in Russia to build the secure smartphones (now being mostly owned by a Chinese company, I wouldn't trust it to be secured).  Dunno what to think over this. Rostec so far has shown great results and has turned many companies around (UOMZ/Schwab) and profited enough hence why they are 10 ten largest companies in world. But I feel this deal is really just a method for Rostec to make easy money by selling not only majority shares but to also make easy money since this company in China will really push Yotaphone sales in China which will mean easy dividends for Rostec.

Edit: Now that Yota Devices isn't really Russian anymore (about as Russian as Motorola is American), what other smartphone brands exist in Russia?  Neither companies as well make the smartphone in Russia like Yota.  But are now considered more Russian for sure.
    So far, I found:
    - TeXet

Any other brands?
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:24 am

sepheronx wrote:Dunno how to feel about this:

Seems that Rostec still holds enough shares so they can block certain things, but essentially, the Chinese investment company now owns majority of shares in Yota Devices which makes the Yota Phone.  Not really Russian anymore.  I guess there are the other Russian phone tech companies whom to still throw weight behind.  Guess Rostec made a lot of money and decided to cancel holding majority shares in it.  I wonder if this deal will hamper Yota Devices from opening up the plant in Russia to build the secure smartphones (now being mostly owned by a Chinese company, I wouldn't trust it to be secured).  Dunno what to think over this.  Rostec so far has shown great results and has turned many companies around (UOMZ/Schwab) and profited enough hence why they are 10 ten largest companies in world.  But I feel this deal is really just a method for Rostec to make easy money by selling not only majority shares but to also make easy money since this company in China will really push Yotaphone sales in China which will mean easy dividends for Rostec.

Edit: Now that Yota Devices isn't really Russian anymore (about as Russian as Motorola is American), what other smartphone brands exist in Russia?  Neither companies as well make the smartphone in Russia like Yota.  But are now considered more Russian for sure.
    So far, I found:
    - TeXet

Any other brands?

This is pure treason..
    The Yota chief went the easy way.. and grab big cash as soon they offered it and
    betray Russia for easy money.  This company could have been a major source of income
    for Russian economy.. and creating jobs in Russia.. now all that shit is gone.  They did what
    every selfish unpatriotic businessman will do as soon they become successful in their business.

They were always questioned when Yotaphone was going to be build in Russia?
    and there answer was always of bullshit and how difficult is this business and that
    they are lucky just to sell it. Always with excuse for not being patriotic and using
    their new business to create Jobs in Russia.

Yotaphone had a lot of future ,specially in Asia..and now all that shit is gone. Now CHina
    will take the project and of course it will create jobs in China.. not in Russia.. so stupid move.
    So unpatriotic and shows there is a lot of work to do in Russia to promote nationalism and love
    for the country and help Russia to overcome western isolation.. instead of seeking to make a lot
    of money and leave Russia at the first opportunity they become rich.  

This is exactly the reason SEPH that Russia Government is forced to buy companies and run
    business themselves. Because if business run by Russian private hands.. the first thing they will
    do as soon they make money if to leave Russia for the west. and seek a mansion in beverly hills california and stay there enjoying life.. and completely ignoring the problems their mother nation face. If a world war 3 start or if Russia experience another soviet union collapse ,either way it will directly affect their quality of lives. Because the Repression/Police state in US and Europe will only increase the more Powerful the US empire becomes.

This is really Bad Seph.. because it set a bad example for others to follow..
    It teach other Russians trying to make business and do inventions ,to do the same..
    start a business and as soon the bastard become popular ,sell their business to foreign players
    to take advantage of Russia talent..that only exist thanks to Russia Government investment on
    its education system.

Do Yotaphones engineers studied in China? or in American schools? doubtful. they studied in
    Russia and they benefit from the sacrifices of Russian Government with Russia budget to create
    talent . Now all those sacrifices goes to the toilet..because they wanted easy money and not bother for how much good they could have done to Russia with their business.  yes many of the
    parts were not done in Russia..but the company was created by Russians and ink panel too ,the concept was also their idea.. but now all that innovation will go to Benefit China and not Russia. No

This could be just the start of a trend.. that China millionaires ends buying all the innovations created by Russians . and is shameful indeed.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Now hold on. Lets not get in a frenzy just yet. According to the Russian version of Rostec (for whichever reason gives more details) states that Rostec still holds 26.1% of shares and the head honcho has 10% shares. The Chinese company is just a pure investment company. Yes they own majority shares, but Rostec still has enough shares for vetoing and as well, has options to buy back shares (that was the agreement at least). I have a feeling that it wasnt going anywhere in major sales as Yotaphone 2 didnt sell as projected either. So this may have been the last chance Yotadevices would have been able to churn out a profit. It didnt even sell well in Russia. Brands like texet seems far more popular (somewhere on this site had info on Russian brand phones selling well recently and which brands. Cant find it atm). But Yotaphone was expensive and already made outside the country. Current guy is still general director of Yota devices so plans may stay the same or not. It is a wait and see.

Texet on the other hand seems to offer cheap cell phones and sells lots of them. Of course, their phones are also chinese made.

Rostec is a state own corporation (one of the 10 largest in the world) and they have done wonders for various companies. But I have a suspicious feeling that this was a last attempt to get something out of their investments and a big chance to make money from Yota Phone. The 26.1% shares will guarantee profits one way or another and as well some general say in development. May keep Russian engineers employed as well. Much like when Motorola was sold to a Chinese company.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:11 pm

sepheronx wrote:Dunno how to feel about this:

Seems that Rostec still holds enough shares so they can block certain things, but essentially, the Chinese investment company now owns majority of shares in Yota Devices which makes the Yota Phone.  Not really Russian anymore.  I guess there are the other Russian phone tech companies whom to still throw weight behind.  Guess Rostec made a lot of money and decided to cancel holding majority shares in it.  I wonder if this deal will hamper Yota Devices from opening up the plant in Russia to build the secure smartphones (now being mostly owned by a Chinese company, I wouldn't trust it to be secured).  Dunno what to think over this.  Rostec so far has shown great results and has turned many companies around (UOMZ/Schwab) and profited enough hence why they are 10 ten largest companies in world.  But I feel this deal is really just a method for Rostec to make easy money by selling not only majority shares but to also make easy money since this company in China will really push Yotaphone sales in China which will mean easy dividends for Rostec.

So far, I found:
    - TeXet

Any other brands?

Hmm i thought Texet is just rebranding Chinese built "generic" smartphones? Somewhat like Vodafone does, they buy bunch of for an example Alcatel xxxx and then they rebrand it to Vodafone 312 or similar.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm

It is possible. But seems like regardless the Russian companies are happy like this. Little input and maximum profit.

T-Platforms is apparently interested in the mobile market, hence their participation in semiconductor industry through its subsidiary Baikal electronics. So they may be Russias ticket. Currently, this deal for Yota devices, is gonna be a wait and see of the outcome. But the relative poor sales gives me the indication that the expensive Smartphone market isnt for Russia.

Since Ruble is cheaper than Renmimbi and almost little tarrifs between Russia and China, if I had the money, I would set up a smartphone assembly plant in Russia. Subcontract out the manufacturing of the PCB to Kraftway using the basic of Chinese parts. I imagine cost would be little and as long as I am not expecting 200% or more profit, I can make a pretty kopek.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:42 pm

sepheronx wrote:It is possible.  But seems like regardless the Russian companies are happy like this. Little input and maximum profit.

T-Platforms is apparently interested in the mobile market, hence their participation in semiconductor industry through its subsidiary Baikal electronics. So they may be Russias ticket.  Currently, this deal for Yota devices, is gonna be a wait and see of the outcome.  But the relative poor sales gives me the indication that the expensive Smartphone market isnt for Russia.

Since Ruble is cheaper than Renmimbi and almost little tarrifs between Russia and China, if I had the money, I would set up a smartphone assembly plant in Russia. Subcontract out the manufacturing of the PCB to Kraftway using the basic of Chinese parts.  I imagine cost would be little and as long as I am not expecting 200% or more profit, I can make a pretty kopek.

Yotaphones are extremly expencive here in Serbia, they are outpricing even Iphone 6 i belive.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm

That was the problem. I seen them for as high as $800 CAD. No way I am paying that. I feel burned over $250 CAD for my LG phone.

Russian industries need to have an objective. They need a plan. The government will clearly have to step in like Vann said cause you cant trust private. So what can be done? I suppose try to push the current tech developers in Russia to produce phones from their own products. To produce other goods. Russia has the industrial base, the tech, the knowhow, but the lack of willpower from people.

Maybe set tarrifs for such stuff so it is no longer profitable to import it.

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:53 pm

sepheronx wrote:That was the problem. I seen them for as high as $800 CAD.  No way I am paying that. I feel burned over $250 CAD for my LG phone.

Russian industries need to have an objective. They need a plan.  The government will clearly have to step in like Vann said cause you cant trust private.  So what can be done? I suppose try to push the current tech developers in Russia to produce phones from their own products.  To produce other goods.  Russia has the industrial base, the tech, the knowhow, but the lack of willpower from people.

Maybe set tarrifs for such stuff so it is no longer profitable to import it.

Yotaphone 2 in Serbia at this moment is 1326.5 CAD in shop, if you decide to buy it online its 120 CAD cheaper. Very Happy

Well first bringing with money back some people that wroked in Nokia would be smart idea, some Russians worked there too, bring more of them, lure them back with something idk, give them free apartment in Moscow, state at least own stuff like that. Buy licence for some tech that you lack, buy machines, pay skilled workers from Taiwan/China to do the training... i mean there is alot to be done, would take years but sooner you start, sooner you are going to have results.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:59 pm

I know both Kraftway and Micron are the two most likely capable to build the PCB's as they have all the equipment (Kraftway makes their own specialized motherboards) and using the sapphire glass that is used on iphones as it is made in Russia anyway. Yes, hire people with such experience and come up with a cheap but capable phone. Instead of Octo Core, use Quad core. 2gb ram rather than 1 or 3. Use 16gb internal storage. Etc etc etc. Custom theme for android OS. There are lots of options. Someone will eventually do it. Iran has a plant to male cell phones. And LG contracts them as well. But Russia doesnt? Yet they have plants to make microprocessors and motherboards?

I know there are other brands. Gotta find them....
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:53 pm

sepheronx wrote:Now hold on.  Lets not get in a frenzy just yet. According to the Russian version of Rostec (for whichever reason gives more details) states that Rostec still holds 26.1% of shares and the head honcho has 10% shares.  The Chinese company is just a pure investment company. Yes they own majority shares, but Rostec still has enough shares for vetoing and as well, has options to buy back shares (that was the agreement at least).  I have a feeling that it wasnt going anywhere in major sales as Yotaphone 2 didnt sell as projected either. So this may have been the last chance Yotadevices would have been able to churn out a profit.  It didnt even sell well in Russia. Brands like texet seems far more popular (somewhere on this site had info on Russian brand phones selling well recently and which brands. Cant find it atm). But Yotaphone was expensive and already made outside the country.  Current guy is still general director of Yota devices so plans may stay the same or not. It is a wait and see.

Texet on the other hand seems to offer cheap cell phones and sells lots of them. Of course, their phones are also chinese made.

Rostec is a state own corporation (one of the 10 largest in the world) and they have done wonders for various companies. But I have a suspicious feeling that this was a last attempt to get something out of their investments and a big chance to make money from Yota Phone.  The 26.1% shares will guarantee profits one way or another and as well some general say in development.  May keep Russian engineers employed as well.  Much like when Motorola was sold to a Chinese company.

I remember that here in Finland people were buying Nokia like crazy when Nokia first started off. It was seen as a patriotic thing to do. Do Russians not like to buy Russian to bolster local economy? Or do they think that Russian made stuff is crap and foreign is always better?
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 pm

What kind of question is that?  It was well regarded as a good phone the Yotaphone in even western revews (good reviews in Russia too like cnews) but expensive. You think Russians, let alone anyone else, wanna pay close to $800 - $1000 CAD for a phone? That is how much they were charging for it.

Other Russian brands (rebranded or not) are selling very well as I have mentioned.  Your question makes no sense since Lada was known for poor quality yet for almost 4 or more years Lada Granta was best selling car in Russia.

Nokia was a good brand selling solid phones. Hence why they sold so well. Now they are almost going extinct as they are failing the smartphone market quite hard. It difficult to compete to the Chibese.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Other brands are RoverPC and Sitronics. Sitronics actually makes phones but no new smartphones. RoverPC I think rebrands but localizes software and such much like Yota Devices did. But it is 100% Russian company.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:30 pm

I read about the Yota buy out ordeal almost a week ago, and was reluctant to post the articles because it made me feel uneasy. Honestly this is what you get when we expect private Russian corporations to be patriotic.

As far as I'm concerned Rostec, specifically KRET should open a join venture with Rusnano and obtain a $10 billion loan to start a civilian technology product line, creating powerful yet inexpensive desktops, laptops, smartphones etc. utilizing photonic based components and start trendsetting/trailblazing the market.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:13 am