Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Share
    avatar
    Morpheus Eberhardt

    Posts : 1945
    Points : 2066
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:34 am

    Regular wrote:From Gaz 66 to Hummer Smile 


    Personally I liked Hummer. Very sturdy vehicle. Bit underpowered though. Simple as hell and not crap like civilian versions. It's iconic vehicle like Jeep.

    GAZ-69, not GAZ-66. GAZ-66 is a phenomenal vehicle that should never be insulted by even being mentioned in the same book as HMMWV.

    Here is a picture of GAZ-69A. Of course, many of the GAZ-69s are still running in some parts of the world.

    avatar
    Regular

    Posts : 2034
    Points : 2041
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Regular on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:46 am

    I know Gaz-69. Never drove it. But we used to have it in our farm. At least chassi as we kept many many cars there. Plenty of Soviet tractors too Very Happy 
    I've learned how to drive off road on Gaz-66 and we used it's chassi on off road projects. I have driven Hummer in military. Why are You so harsh about Hummer? Do you have any bad experience about it?
    We even owned M1008 from army surplus... I can say that older US vehicles were amazing. Simple and reliable. They were good when it came to engines, when Soviet engines were lacking. Still best off road vehicles were made in Japan.
    By the way if You ask any Russian who is the ultimate off road vehicle they will tell You it's Gelik Very Happy There is unhealthy fixation with that particular gitlerwagen in Russia.
    avatar
    VladimirSahin

    Posts : 414
    Points : 432
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 26
    Location : Florida

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  VladimirSahin on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:41 pm

    has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool
    avatar
    macedonian

    Posts : 1082
    Points : 1117
    Join date : 2013-04-29
    Location : Skopje, Macedonia - Скопје, Македонија

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  macedonian on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:53 pm

    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:

    GAZ-69, not GAZ-66. GAZ-66 is a phenomenal vehicle that should never be insulted by even being mentioned in the same book as HMMWV.

    Here is a picture of GAZ-69A. Of course, many of the GAZ-69s are still running in some parts of the world.


    Wouldn't mind owning one of these.
    Put another engine in it so you can register it, and restore it...some fresh paint and all...would make one hell of a ride!
    Nice pic.
    Thanks
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16281
    Points : 16912
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:57 am

    A BTR-80 would be great fun to take to airshows and militaria shows. I'd even get dressed up... probably even shave the beard... sadly though I would still be a really fat bald guy clearly not fitting the uniform...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Asf

    Posts : 478
    Points : 501
    Join date : 2014-03-27

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Asf on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm

    a really fat bald guy clearly not fitting the uniform...
    Sounds like a general  Smile 
    avatar
    VladimirSahin

    Posts : 414
    Points : 432
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 26
    Location : Florida

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  VladimirSahin on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 pm

    The BTR-80 is very comfortable compared to any BMD you know riding in a BMD when you are above 180 cms is horrible, we did it in drills and so on I wish we had something big like the Kurganets but that is only for comfort when it comes to real war Its better to have something with huge fire power and a low silhouette and low weight. When will the new RATNIK gear come into service and will it equip the whole armed forces?
    avatar
    Regular

    Posts : 2034
    Points : 2041
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Regular on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:13 pm

    VladimirSahin wrote:has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool
    Buggies? I was told that there was only 1 VDV buggy custom built from NIVA? So I presume You served in 45th?
    By the way something interesting. Ive seen it's prototypes in late 90s on TV.. Now it looks hummerish
    avatar
    VladimirSahin

    Posts : 414
    Points : 432
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 26
    Location : Florida

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  VladimirSahin on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 pm

    I am sorry but that is not the one I dont know even if it was a buggy my english is not fully great, you can say it is a army vehicle and we had four vehicles and two of them was this vehicle (in our unit I did recon for one year then I asked to go to a landing regiment that was a assault unit)  I can't find picture maybe it was custom ordered? It had a PKT on top or you could have installed a grenade launcher or something else I will try to look if they have photo of this vehicle I was talking about.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16281
    Points : 16912
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 am

    There was talk of Ratnik starting service this year or next year once they have sorted out the new AK family of weapons to go with it.

    Regarding the light vehicle... is it this?



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3203
    Points : 3317
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  flamming_python on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:17 pm

    GarryB wrote:A BTR-80 would be great fun to take to airshows and militaria shows. I'd even get dressed up... probably even shave the beard... sadly though I would still be a really fat bald guy clearly not fitting the uniform...

    As we all know there are no bald people in the military, they're not allowed in - so yep you would be exposed immediately  Razz 
    avatar
    VladimirSahin

    Posts : 414
    Points : 432
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 26
    Location : Florida

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  VladimirSahin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:56 pm

    GarryB yes that is the vehicle we got it in our unit in 2011
    avatar
    Morpheus Eberhardt

    Posts : 1945
    Points : 2066
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Russian Ground Forces: News #2

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:31 am

    Ansyr' Armored Amphibian







    avatar
    Morpheus Eberhardt

    Posts : 1945
    Points : 2066
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am

    Regular wrote:Why are You so harsh about Hummer? Do you have any bad experience about it?

    Just that it's an overpriced Jeep. How was its reliability by the way?


    Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:55 am

    Hummer is supposed to be eventually replaced with something else, as the hummer H1 line, which is what the HUMVEE is based off of, is in China (manufacturing).  Last time they talked about it, Ford Israel came out with their own variant, and were pushing it for US use.  Haven't heard much since.  From what I have heard from people who have served and used one, is that they lack a great deal of any armor.

    Much better than the G-Wagon that Canada uses.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16281
    Points : 16912
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 am

    Why are You so harsh about Hummer? Do you have any bad experience about it?

    My understanding of the evolution of the Tigr was that it was originally developed for a Middle East country that had lots of Humvees given to it by the US as aide and they wanted something similar that wasn't so expensive to run and was actually armoured... which most of the standard original Humvees weren't despite being very big and heavy already.

    The result was the original Tigr which was designed and built but suddenly found itself without a market because the US found out and threatened to pull their "aide" if they bought a Russian vehicle too.

    BTW that ANSYR looks interesting... being amphibious is a huge plus in my opinion and was one of the biggest weaknesses of the vehicles like Vodnik.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    mutantsushi

    Posts : 282
    Points : 304
    Join date : 2013-12-11

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  mutantsushi on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:23 am

    AFAIK, US Army and Marines plan to replace most HMMVs with upgraded, up-armored HMMVs, and a smaller component with JLTVs which are better armored/protected. JLTV at this stage is being bid by Lockheed (w/ BAE subcontracting some components), Oshkosh, and AM General (original HMMV contractor.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4674
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 am

    Regular wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool
    Buggies? I was told that there was only 1 VDV buggy custom built from NIVA? So I presume You served in 45th?
    By the way something interesting. Ive seen it's prototypes in late 90s on TV.. Now it looks hummerish

    Isn't that truck the Zibak Mk2?

    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4674
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool
    Buggies? I was told that there was only 1 VDV buggy custom built from NIVA? So I presume You served in 45th?
    By the way something interesting. Ive seen it's prototypes in late 90s on TV.. Now it looks hummerish

    Isn't that truck the Zibak Mk2?


    Chechens have their own version:

    avatar
    macedonian

    Posts : 1082
    Points : 1117
    Join date : 2013-04-29
    Location : Skopje, Macedonia - Скопје, Македонија

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  macedonian on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:51 pm

    Not my cup of tea that one...too Humveeish
    avatar
    Viktor

    Posts : 5672
    Points : 6321
    Join date : 2009-08-25
    Age : 36
    Location : Croatia

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:03 pm


    Austin

    Posts : 6232
    Points : 6638
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Austin on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:33 pm

    Russia's new set of equipment can protect a soldier from any sample of individual small arms - Dmitry Semizorov




    PARIS, June 16. (ARMS-TASS). Russia's new set of equipment can protect a soldier from any sample of individual small arms consisting of various armed armies in the world. Itar-Tass in an exclusive interview at the salon of arms "Eurosatory 2014" (Eurosatory-2014) reported CRI CEO of Precision Engineering (TSNIITOCHMASH) Dmitry Semizorov.


    "Outfit 2nd generation on the basis of which was developed set" Warrior ", provides protection serviceman corresponding class 6a on domestic GOST - said Semizorov. - This means that to date, no small arms that could pierce it. Apart this, we were able to achieve greater area Ballistic protection to 80 percent of the area of ​​the entire set. "


    According Semizorova, weight set is relatively small and does not exceed 24 kg. "This is - a unique indicator that foreign counterparts can not reach," - said the CEO. Particular attention is paid Semizorov protective helmet that came with. "Weighing just one kilogram of it (helmet - approx. Itar-Tass) maintains high performance, which have no foreign counterparts", - informed the CEO.


    Set of modernized equipment serviceman 2nd generation is modular and can be easily adapted to the needs of various military specialties. "In addition to motorized infantry units, it can be used as airborne troops and marines," - said Semizorov.


    The Director General said that by the end of this year will be finalized serial production of the new kit. "As we look forward to the end of 2014 and organized its first deliveries," - said General Director TSNIITOCHMASH. According to him, in the near future will be decided to organize supplies and resolved issues of cooperation with other companies.


    At the salon "Eurosatory 2014" will be a special presentation of a new set of Russian soldier for potential foreign pokupateley.-0--nn/df/kv
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4674
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm

    Chinese Kurganets?







    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5699
    Points : 5735
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  TR1 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:29 pm

    The ZBD-97/04 family is known (well, open secret) to have been designed for China by Kurganmash, and the fighting module was obviously Baxcha.

    An early Kurganets if you will.

    This new thing looks like a further development.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4674
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm

    TR1 wrote:The ZBD-97/04 family is known (well, open secret) to have been designed for China by Kurganmash, and the fighting module was obviously Baxcha.

    An early Kurganets if you will.

    This new thing looks like a further development.

    Yes, I've heard of that but I thought it was just a rumor. BTW why do you think there's so much secrecy between Russia and China in military technical cooperation? Is it because they don't want to offend India?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:23 pm