Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+52
Rodion_Romanovic
Sprut-B
magnumcromagnon
thegopnik
limb
calripson
Arkanghelsk
nemerson
lancelot
owais.usmani
Daniel_Admassu
Kiko
The-thing-next-door
Scorpius
PhSt
Gazputin
Nibiru
Hole
KiloGolf
GunshipDemocracy
KomissarBojanchev
gaurav
Big_Gazza
PapaDragon
miketheterrible
T-47
George1
OminousSpudd
Singular_Transform
Project Canada
kvs
Flanky
Regular
Austin
Kyo
Rmf
Werewolf
mack8
Vann7
mutantsushi
Mike E
zg18
xeno
TR1
Morpheus Eberhardt
Hannibal Barca
navyfield
coolieno99
Viktor
GarryB
solo.13mmfmj
Admin
56 posters

Next Generation Rocket Angara: News

Rmf
    Rmf

Next Generation Rocket Angara: News - Page 5 Empty Re: Next Generation Rocket Angara: News

Post  Rmf 28/12/14, 05:03 am

Vann7 wrote:

I find shocking the level of incompetence of Russian Government in promoting their space program . You have here
    bran new next generation heavy rocket angara 5  being launched successfully and not a single video anywhere in
    any Russian media of major event. How can they expect to attract investors to Russia if they don't advertise
    their nation capabilities.

So you have an interesting situation in Russia ..where not only the western media have done a good job , in brainwashing people that Russia innovate nothing and is only a gas station.. but also Russian  media incompetence
    in to properly promote any new technology  or machine they create.

SImply Russia government is not very efficient in advertising its own industry. RT for example is highly view in the west.. but they do not take advantage of their media success in promoting either Tourism or foreign investments
    in Russia.

And for a good reason...
    THERE WAS ALMOST A DISASTER AT TAKE-OFF.

You can see the top of the missile veering to the right side,  but then correction from thrust vector engines kicked in and corrected so the launcher got straighten out. here is the video from previous poster.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQOpD4TIZM

Obviously some of the engines didnt got to 100% power in time, the time from engine start to launch buildin arm swinging back is too short ,and launching in mid winter when it was very cold and snow adding weight to missile, plus with cross winds , just goes to show how crazy or confident russians were to get the launch done before 2015 , probably an order from the top brass!
    TR1
    TR1

Next Generation Rocket Angara: News - Page 5 Empty Re: Next Generation Rocket Angara: News

Post  TR1 28/12/14, 11:03 am

I am not seeing this close disaster at all myself....
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 28/12/14, 11:25 am

And for a good reason...

You can see the top of the missile veering to the right side, but then correction from thrust vector engines kicked in and corrected so the launcher got straighten out. here is the video from previous poster.

Obviously some of the engines didnt got to 100% power in time, the time from engine start to launch buildin arm swinging back is too short ,and launching in mid winter when it was very cold and snow adding weight to missile, plus with cross winds , just goes to show how crazy or confident russians were to get the launch done before 2015 , probably an order from the top brass!

I too can't see anything like that to be honest. Imo it's just the camera view, image is slightly deformed isn't it?
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf 28/12/14, 01:10 pm

Can't see anything in that video of what you are speaking.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt 28/12/14, 10:48 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:The roll control of the core stage of Angara-5, Angara-5P, Angara-7, ... is sure very interesting.

Does everybody think what I am thinking of?

Here's the best picture I have of the tail section of the Angara-1.2PP. Interesting.
    Roll control... Do you mean the "tails"? - Which are, AFAIK, only installed on the 1.2PP. 

?

A little bit of elaboration on my previous post:

- Angara-5 core has no roll control tail surfaces.
    - They say it uses thrusters for roll control.
    - I am not sure if I see two thrusters or four. Whether there are two thrusters or four thrusters, they are positioned asymmetrically. (Correction: I can't count any roll control nozzles on the core. I have a suspicion where they have to be.)
    - Ignoring hidden aspects of the design, the asymetrical positioning of roll thrusters is "wasteful".
    - If the Angara-5 core can use roll control thrusters for roll control, why did Angara-1.2PP and Naro-1 needed roll control tail surfaces. Is it just because of the fact that the Angara-5 core at separation is lighter and has a lower moment of inertia around the roll axis, having already burned some of its propellants, than Angara-1.2PP at launch with full tanks? What other reason can there be?
    - How about Angara-7? It's core surely would't fire before separation; so it would even be heavier and with a larger moment of inertia around the roll axis than Angara-1.2PP at launch.
    - Very interesting.

Can someone find, possibly through Russian language sources, some answers to the questions that I raised in my previous post?

Thanks.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt 29/12/14, 09:36 pm

Mike E wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:The roll control of the core stage of Angara-5, Angara-5P, Angara-7, ... is sure very interesting.

Does everybody think what I am thinking of?

Here's the best picture I have of the tail section of the Angara-1.2PP. Interesting.
    Roll control... Do you mean the "tails"? - Which are, AFAIK, only installed on the 1.2PP. 

?

A little bit of elaboration on my previous post:

- Angara-5 core has no roll control tail surfaces.

- They say it uses thrusters for roll control.

- I am not sure if I see two thrusters or four. Whether there are two thrusters or four thrusters, they are positioned asymmetrically. (Correction: I can't count any roll control nozzles on the core. I have a suspicion where they have to be.)

- Ignoring hidden aspects of the design, the asymetrical positioning of roll thrusters is "wasteful". (Vide supra.)

- If the Angara-5 core can use roll control thrusters for roll control, why did Angara-1.2PP and Naro-1 needed roll control tail surfaces. Is it just because of the fact that the Angara-5 core at separation is lighter and has a lower moment of inertia around the roll axis, having already burned some of its propellants, than Angara-1.2PP at launch with full tanks? What other reason can there be?

- How about Angara-7? It's core surely would't fire before separation (Correction: It probably would fire a split second before separation to obviate any need for any separate ullage handling mechanism.); so it would even be heavier and with a larger moment of inertia around the roll axis than Angara-1.2PP at launch.

- Very interesting.

Can someone find, possibly through Russian language sources, some answers to the questions that I raised in my previous post?

Thanks.

Anyone?

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on 30/12/14, 04:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 30/12/14, 06:52 am

Rmf wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

I find shocking the level of incompetence of Russian Government in promoting their space program . You have here
    bran new next generation heavy rocket angara 5  being launched successfully and not a single video anywhere in
    any Russian media of major event. How can they expect to attract investors to Russia if they don't advertise

So you have an interesting situation in Russia ..where not only the western media have done a good job , in brainwashing people that Russia innovate nothing and is only a gas station.. but also Russian  media incompetence

SImply Russia government is not very efficient in advertising its own industry. RT for example is highly view in the west.. but they do not take advantage of their media success in promoting either Tourism or foreign investments
    in Russia.

And for a good reason...

You can see the top of the missile veering to the right side,  but then correction from thrust vector engines kicked in and corrected so the launcher got straighten out. here is  the video from previous poster.

That veering to the right side is clearly a distortion effect of the fish-eye lens being used to film the launch. You do
    not see any veering in the part of the video filmed without a distorted view.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 30/12/14, 06:54 am

Anyone?

I have no sources and I doubt they exist aside from blogger speculation.

It looks to me like all the engines are used to control any roll. One of the pluses of having thrust vectoring ability (albeit limited).
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt 30/12/14, 03:49 pm

kvs wrote:
    Anyone?

It looks to me like all the engines are used to control any roll.   One of the pluses of having thrust vectoring ability (albeit limited).

Before the separation of the strap-ons (blocks A, B, V, G), the strap-ons perform the roll control. The question relates to the phase after the separation of strap-ons.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 30/12/14, 05:51 pm

kvs wrote:
    Anyone?

It looks to me like all the engines are used to control any roll.   One of the pluses of having thrust vectoring ability (albeit limited).

Before the separation of the strap-ons (blocks A, B, V, G), the strap-ons perform the roll control. The question relates to the phase after the separation of strap-ons.

We do not see if the inner section deploys winglets so I would not rule that out.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt 30/12/14, 07:09 pm

kvs wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    Anyone?

We do not see if the inner section deploys winglets so I would not rule that out.

Thanks for your reply.

Purely aerodynamic (?) or partially aerodynamic roll control can be feasible for the first stage of Angara-1.2, for example. However, the Angara-5's core is mostly a 2nd stage rocket block. I doubt that aerodynamic control would be useful regarding the Angara-5's core's flight profile.

Additionally, Angara-1.2, etc. probably only use supplemental aerodynamic roll control during the early stages of their flight when, due to the larger moment of inertia of the launchers around the roll axis at the early stages of their flight, the Angara-1.2 type optimally small thrust-based roll control system is not sufficient. Under this scenario, the question still is where the roll control thrusters on Angara-1.2, etc. are.

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on 01/01/15, 05:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 31/12/14, 06:14 am

kvs wrote:
    Rmf wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

in Russia.

And for a good reason...

You can see the top of the missile veering to the right side,  but then correction from thrust vector engines kicked in and corrected so the launcher got straighten out. here is  the video from previous poster.

That veering to the right side is clearly a distortion effect of the fish-eye lens being used to film the launch.  You do
    it depends on viewers angle, form 90degree view no side veering you wont notice it , but in paralel viewing camera you could see at 8-9 sec some tilting of the top of the rocket to right side. something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvNALouyQaI
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 31/12/14, 07:27 am

You can clearly see the rocket deform in the video. This deformation has nothing to do with "veering" and is a pure lense distortion.
    Just let it go.

Rmf wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    Rmf wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

in Russia.

And for a good reason...

That veering to the right side is clearly a distortion effect of the fish-eye lens being used to film the launch.  You do
    it depends on viewers angle, form 90degree view no side veering you wont notice it , but in paralel viewing camera you could see at 8-9 sec some tilting of the top of the rocket to right side. something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvNALouyQaI
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 01/01/15, 12:17 pm

ok, it was within launch parameters ,payload entered Gso so success.
    then briz-m fired last time its fuel reserve ,and took itself and dummy payload still together, from busy geosynchronus -to higher graveyard orbit.
    here is a comparison to its competitor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_IV_Heavy

unfortunately no angara 7 ,which would overtake delta ,for next few years.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E 01/01/15, 03:01 pm

The A5 is already superior to the heavy Deltas, there really isn't a need for an A7 as of now. Now that the Angara project has proven (so far) successful, I think the RSA will put more time into other projects along with the Angara.
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 03/01/15, 07:56 am

delta is pure hydrogen /oxygen propulsion, angara uses kerosine as fuel in 1st and 2nd core stage, and briz in 3rd stage. it would need hydrogen /oxygen in 3rd stage to get more lifting power an that engine- kvtk is not ready in next few years.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs 08/01/15, 02:54 pm

If you go to the wiki or elsewhere they do not bother to adjust for latitude of the launch site when listing rocket
    payload to different orbits. The Delta Heavy has more payload to GTO capacity but a lot of that is due to the
    fact it is being launched from Cape Canaveral while the Angara is launched from Plesetsk.

The A5 can be modified to have the same nominal payload performance as the Delta Heavy by giving it a LOX/H2
    third stage.
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 11/01/15, 03:12 am

so where can it be looked up -the payload weight depending on different launch sites , plesetsk ,vostochni ,and equatorial - brazil- alcantara perhaps.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 14/01/15, 04:38 am

Russia's Defense Ministry to receive 2nd heavy Angara rocket in late 2015
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo 14/01/15, 09:53 am

Angara-A5 may replace Ukrainian Zenit in sea-launch project.

http://itar-tass.com/en/non-political/771080.
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 14/01/15, 10:52 am

production issues are not settled so there will be logistics and production rate problems. many factoried are in european part or urals , only omsk factory is in western siberia.
    that makes vostochny very far away from manufacturing facilities.
    only 1 launch in 2015...meh No
    i think angara -1.1 will replace zenit and that would be best to destroy ukraine capability and revenue , plus pick up ukranian pro-russian engineers and staff and continue wtih 100% russian product + profit.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 17/01/15, 01:57 am

Rmf wrote:
    And for a good reason...

I can see what you mean.. the light deviation to the right of the head.. but it can be an effect of the lens of the camera.. Because if you look at the tower ,the steel structure that hold firm the rocket.. it also appears to be not aligned too.. and this is before the rocket is launched.. but no idea really .. could be a problem that happened or could be a camera lens effect what we saw.

I actually notice the launch pad incredibly close to the rocket.. that tower so close to the rocket does not inspire me confidence.. could get stuck with the rocket.
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 17/01/15, 09:58 am

well i watched the launch on ultra high resolution 26 inch ips monitor so it shows allot of detail ,.... dunno
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 18/01/15, 01:31 am

Any rocket launch is a balancing act, so sideways movement of the nose, especially at launch is just as normal as the flapping of the horizontal stabiliser on an aircraft with FBW flight controls on landing or take off.

It doesn't indicate a problem, it is just a natural settling of control.
    Rmf
    Rmf

Post  Rmf 27/01/15, 01:36 pm

i dont think you can compare a space rocket to an airplane. but lets put this question to rest.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26/04/24, 02:16 am