Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+62
Rodion_Romanovic
thegopnik
jhelb
VARGR198
psg
Sujoy
TMA1
Azi
sepheronx
RTN
sundoesntrise
ATLASCUB
PhSt
calripson
Backman
Dforce
Serberus
crod
owais.usmani
Eugenio Argentina
Urluber
zorobabel
JohninMK
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Broski
walle83
Isos
Scorpius
SolidarityWithRussia
Belisarius
billybatts91
Regular
wilhelm
xeno
franco
limb
Mir
Singular_Transform
lyle6
Arrow
PapaDragon
SeigSoloyvov
Stealthflanker
d_taddei2
Dr.Snufflebug
mnztr
Arkanghelsk
Odin of Ossetia
nomadski
kvs
dionis
GarryB
ucmvulcan
Firebird
Hole
Werewolf
Big_Gazza
ALAMO
caveat emptor
flamming_python
Airbornewolf
LMFS
66 posters

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22

Post  flamming_python Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:27 pm

Dforce wrote:
    Backman wrote:
    Dforce wrote:
    ALAMO wrote:Margarita Simonyan reported a sabotage.
    Crimea is among the heaviest defended areas in Russia. I would put a possibility of multiple penetration close to zero.

Yeah, local partisans fed up with the occupation sounds much more plausible. Or SF roaming free with the help of locals is also possible.

Speaking of penetration. Looks like the NAFO muttpack might have got in

I was here long before the dogs of war were let loose.

Fair enough

A sleeper cell then pwnd

Werewolf and Big_Gazza like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22

Post  flamming_python Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:29 pm

Now how about relaxing for the evening with a nice war cup of British propaganda

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/06/russian-prison-camp-ukrainians-deaths-donetsk
    ‘Absolute evil’: inside the Russian prison camp where dozens of Ukrainians burned to death

Entrepreneur Anna Vorosheva accuses Moscow of murder after spending 100 days in the Olenivka detention centre

Luke Harding in Kyiv
    Sat 6 Aug 2022 14.35 BST

Screams from soldiers being tortured, overflowing cells, inhuman conditions, a regime of intimidation and murder. Inedible gruel, no communication with the outside world, and days marked off with a home-made calendar written on a box of tea.

This, according to a prisoner who was there, is what conditions are like inside Olenivka, the notorious detention centre outside Donetsk where dozens of Ukrainian soldiers burned to death in a horrific episode late last month while in Russian captivity.

Anna Vorosheva – a 45-year-old Ukrainian entrepreneur – gave a harrowing account to the Observer of her time inside the jail. She spent 100 days in Olenivka after being detained in mid-March at a checkpoint run by the pro-Russian Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR) in eastern Ukraine.

She had been trying to deliver humanitarian supplies to Mariupol, her home city, which the Russian army had besieged. The separatists arrested her and drove her in a packed police van to the prison, where she was held until early July on charges of “terrorism”.

Now recovering in France, Vorosheva said she had no doubt Russia “cynically and deliberately” murdered Ukrainian prisoners of war. “We are talking about absolute evil,” she said.

The fighters were blown up on 29 July in a mysterious and devastating explosion. Moscow claims Ukraine killed them with a US-made precision-guided Himars rocket. Satellite images and independent analysis, however, suggest they were obliterated by a powerful bomb detonated from inside the building.

Russia says 53 prisoners were killed and 75 injured. Ukraine has been unable to confirm these figures and has called for an investigation. The victims were members of the Azov battalion. Until their surrender in May, they had defended Mariupol’s Azovstal steel plant, holding out underground.

A day before the blast, they were transferred to a separate area in the camp’s industrial zone, some distance from the grimy two-storey concrete block where Vorosheva shared a cell with other women prisoners. Video shown on Russian state TV revealed charred bodies and twisted metal bunk beds.

“Russia didn’t want them to stay alive. I’m sure some of those ‘killed’ in the explosion were already corpses. It was a convenient way of accounting for the fact they had been tortured to death,” she said.

Male prisoners were regularly removed from their cells, beaten, then locked up again. “We heard their cries,” she said. “They played loud music to cover the screams. Torture happened all the time. Investigators would joke about it and ask inmates, ‘What happened to your face?’ The soldier would reply, ‘I fell over’, and they would laugh.

“It was a demonstration of power. The prisoners understood that anything could happen to them, that they might easily be killed. A small number of the Azov guys were captured before the mass surrender in May.”

Vorosheva said there was constant traffic around Olenivka, known as correctional colony No 120. A former Soviet technical school, it was converted in the 1980s into a prison, and later abandoned. The DNR began using it earlier this year to house enemy civilians.

Captives arrived and departed every day at the camp, 20km south-west of occupied Donetsk, Vorosheva told the Observer. Around 2,500 people were held there, with the figure sometimes rising to 3,500-4,000, she estimated. There was no running water or electricity.

The atmosphere changed when around 2,000 Azov fighters were bussed in on the morning of 17 May, she said. Russian flags were raised and the DNR colours taken down. Guards were initially wary of the new prisoners. Later they talked openly about how they were going to brutalise and humiliate them, she said.

“We were frequently called Nazis and terrorists. One of the women in my cell was an Azovstal medic. She was pregnant. I asked if I could give her my food ration. I was told, ‘No, she’s a killer’. The only question they ever asked me was, ‘Do you know any Azov soldiers?’”

Conditions for the female inmates were grim. She said they were not tortured but received barely any food – 50g of bread for dinner and sometimes porridge. “It was fit for pigs,” she said. She suspected the prison governor siphoned off money allocated for meals. The toilets overflowed and the women were given no sanitary products. The cells were so overcrowded they slept in shifts. “It was tough. People were crying, worried about their kids and families.” Asked if the guards ever showed sympathy, she said an anonymous person once left them a bottle of shampoo.

According to Vorosheva, the camp’s staff were brainwashed by Russian propaganda and considered Ukrainians to be Nazis. Some were local villagers. “They blamed us for the fact that their lives were terrible. It was like an alcoholic who says he drinks vodka because his wife is no good.

“The philosophy is: ‘Everything is horrible for us, so everything should be horrible for you’. It’s all very communist.”

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, has called the explosion “a deliberate Russian war crime and a deliberate mass murder of Ukrainian prisoners of war”. Last week, his office and Ukraine’s defence ministry gave details of clues which they say point to the Kremlin’s guilt.
    Relatives of Azov battalion soldiers protest in Kyiv after the explosion in Olenivka jail
    Friends and relatives of Azov battalion soldiers protest in Kyiv after the explosion in Olenivka jail that killed dozens of prisoners of war. Photograph: Dimitar Dilkoff/AFP/Getty Images

Citing satellite images and phone intercepts and intelligence, they said Russian mercenaries from the Wagner group carried out the killings in collaboration with Vladimir Putin’s FSB spy agency. They point to the fact a row of graves was dug in the colony a few days before the blast.

The operation was approved at the “highest level” in Moscow, they allege. “Russia is not a democracy. The dictator is personally responsible for everything, whether it’s MH17, Bucha or Olenivka,” one intelligence source said. “The question is: when will Putin acknowledge his atrocities.”

One version of events being examined by Kyiv is that the blast may have been the result of intra-service rivalries between Russia’s FSB and GRU military intelligence wings. The GRU negotiated Azovstal’s surrender with its Ukrainian army counterpart, sources suggest – a deal the FSB may have been keen to wreck.

The soldiers should have been protected by guarantees given by Russia to the UN and the International Committee of the Red Cross that the Azov detainees would be properly treated. Since the blast, the Russians have refused to give international representatives any access to the site.

Vorosheva said the Red Cross were allowed into the camp in May. She said the Russians took the visitors to a specially renovated room and did not allow them to talk independently to the prisoners. “It was a show,” she said. “We were asked to give our clothes’ size and told the Red Cross would hand out something. Nothing reached us.”
    Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

Other detainees confirmed Vorosheva’s version of events and said the Azov soldiers were treated worse than civilians. Dmitry Bodrov, a 32-year-old volunteer worker, told the Wall Street Journal the guards took anyone they suspected of misbehaviour to a special disciplinary section of the camp for beatings.

They emerged limping and moaning, he said. Some captives were forced to crawl back to their cells. Another prisoner, Stanislav Hlushkov, said an inmate who was regularly beaten was found dead in solitary confinement. Orderlies put a sheet over his head, loaded him into a mortuary van and told fellow inmates he had “committed suicide”.

Vorosheva was freed on 4 July. It was, she said, a “miracle”. “The guards read out the names of those who were going to be freed. Everyone listened in silence. My heart leaped when I heard my name. I packed my things but didn’t celebrate. There were cases where people were on the list, got out, then came back.”

She added: “The people who run the camp represent the worst aspects of the Soviet Union. They could only behave well if they thought nobody was looking.”

Just lol

And of course it had to be someone like Luke Harding writing this BS

I guess now they're going to admit that they did strike the prison, but claim they did so in order to put the Ukrainian POWs out of their misery at the hands of the Russian torture gangs clown

Big_Gazza, kvs, Hole, Broski, Belisarius and Urluber like this post

owais.usmani

Post  owais.usmani Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:36 pm

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Post  zorobabel Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:40 pm

Ukrainian officials claim to have produced the weapon for the attack: https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1557024128560947202

Planet Labs took a picture of the airbase 4 hours before the explosion, so certainly coordinated with Western backers: https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1557023780186333184

We will definitely be getting satellite pictures of the aftermath, no doubt.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:56 pm

owais.usmani wrote:

Sounds like they have deployed some Youtube comment section Propagandist as their PR guy.

At this point of SMO it is as believable as Germany saying they have found gas reserves and thus don't need NS2.

GarryB, d_taddei2, Airbornewolf, Big_Gazza, Sprut-B, Hole, Mir and like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:57 pm

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Fzuwak10
    The SBU was also behind the failure of the ExoMars project. And the forest fires in Siberia (and Canada!). And they send the dog that ate my homeworks back in the 80´s.  Rolling Eyes

sepheronx, GarryB, ALAMO, PapaDragon, LMFS and Mir like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:00 pm

flamming_python wrote:Now how about relaxing for the evening with a nice war cup of British propaganda

Just lol

And of course it had to be someone like Luke Harding writing this BS

I guess now they're going to admit that they did strike the prison, but claim they did so in order to put the Ukrainian POWs out of their misery at the hands of the Russian torture gangs clown
     Incorporates all the buzz words about Russia created in the west in the last 50 years. Goebbels would approve this.  thumbsup

GarryB, flamming_python, Werewolf, Big_Gazza, LMFS and Mir like this post

caveat emptor
    caveat emptor

Post  caveat emptor Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:03 pm

Hole wrote:Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Fzuwak10
    The SBU was also behind the failure of the ExoMars project. And the forest fires in Siberia (and Canada!). And they send the dog that ate my homeworks back in the 80´s.  Rolling Eyes
    It is understandable that they will try to bank on the explosions. On the other hand, Ru MoD communique is not much better.
    Belisarius

Post  Belisarius Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:11 pm

There’s no “cover up” of it being hit. The missiles would be noticed. If anything happened that is not being told, it would be someone directly at the airfield detonating it. And that’s a speculation, but it’s a possibility. Aka sabotage. But no missiles hit it. The place is full of people in the immediate vicinity. Ukrops would’ve filmed the launch and announce it the second it was hit. They’re way too gloaty.
    https://t.me/asbmil/3786
    We’ve slowed the explosions down and examined the footage. It’s clear that there are no “two simultaneous” hits on the airfield. The first explosion which hits on the left sets off the second explosion. The second explosion follows the blast wave and catches fire immediately upon energy release from the first detonation. Chain effect.
    https://t.me/asbmil/3787

sepheronx, GarryB, ALAMO, Mir and Urluber like this post

RTN dislikes this post

Urluber

Post  Urluber Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:16 pm

Very hard to believe Kiev would have selected a military target.
    They always go for terror-effect as we have seen during the past years.

GarryB, d_taddei2, ALAMO, Hole, Mir, Broski, Arkanghelsk and Belisarius like this post

owais.usmani

Post  owais.usmani Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:37 pm

Backman likes this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:37 pm

Locals nearby I got in touch with say no missiles or so were heard/seen, and they went back to drinking beer on the beach pretty quickly.

Local authorities report no civilian deaths, but one (presumably) military ditto.

UA MoD apparently denied responsibility just now, but that means little. I mean, one official already claimed it was them, and the SBU is technically not military, so.

kvs, PapaDragon, Broski and Urluber like this post

Belisarius

Post  Belisarius Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Img_2071
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Img_2072
    Russian special military operation in Ukraine #22 - Page 11 Img_2073
    🇺🇦 US kamikaze Switchblade drones are already being sold on the Darknet. The price of the drone is $4,000.
    https://t.me/intelslava/35161?single

GarryB, Werewolf, d_taddei2, kvs, LMFS and Broski like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 pm

Explosion seem impressive but it's like the explosion of 2 or 3 fab-500 when you look at the size of fab-500 explosions in Syria.

Not a big loose IMO.

sepheronx, Big_Gazza and Hole like this post

nomadski
    nomadski

Post  nomadski Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:16 pm

Aircraft Ammo stored together , in same location , near Airfield ?  Then we should get one huge explosion of black ( oxygen poor ) colour :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pf1WkG8MLbQ

But one explosion shows two colours : A lighter shade first ( oxygen rich ) , rising on a column of Black smoke . Therefore a prepared explosive set - off the fuel or ordnance .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5nGeUcuUI

Now if this was attack by missiles , then no reason for secrecy . Both sides know . But reason , if indeed there was attack , seems to be that neither side willing to escalate . Americans deny it was them and it was Ukraine innovation , like Russian ship attack  ! Russia deny a hit , in order not to have it's hands forced .

Last edited by nomadski on Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:19 pm

Hole wrote:

Consider that from another perspective.
    It is already an islamic terrorist's level of bullshit.
    They have claimed responsibility for each road accident for some periods of time.
    Ukro falls down the same route.

GarryB, kvs, PapaDragon, Hole and Urluber like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:36 pm

Belisarius wrote:🇺🇦 US kamikaze Switchblade drones are already being sold on the Darknet.  The price of the drone is $4,000.
    Looks cheap. Maybe the american military should buy from this source.  Laughing Laughing Laughing

GarryB, flamming_python, Werewolf, d_taddei2, kvs, Sprut-B, LMFS and like this post

Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:41 pm

Hole wrote:
    Belisarius wrote:🇺🇦 US kamikaze Switchblade drones are already being sold on the Darknet.  The price of the drone is $4,000.
    Looks cheap. Maybe the american military should buy from this source.  Laughing Laughing Laughing

They are the one selling them IMO.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:42 pm

What a frenzy of BS. If the Kiev regime had the capacity to hit targets in Crimea, including the Kerch Strait bridge it would
    have been doing this from March. But now we have this event and oh my God, it's all over for Russia. A drone attack would
    not produce the explosions seen in the video. Not with those rinky dink, don't have the range, jobs. So this is either sabotage
    or an accident. But the multiple explosions tell me that it was more likely sabotage.

Sabotage is easy. Human meat is always available. But unlike the fantasies of the troll, there is not enough such meat in Crimea
    to matter. At the current rate of "success" the Kiev regime is going to be a memory sooner rather than later.

GarryB, Werewolf, d_taddei2 and Big_Gazza like this post

Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:45 pm

Back to real news. Did you hear that one of Elenskiys henchmen declared that all the "Kherson counter-offensives" were just some sort of psyop?
    So they send hundreds if not thousands of lightly armed infantry men through open territory, without aircover or much artillery just to be slaughtered
    by the Russian Armed Forces with long-range weapons just to score some points on the propaganda "front". If I were some "ukrainian" soldier this 
    would make me really angry.

GarryB, flamming_python, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, kvs, ALAMO, Sprut-B and like this post

Arkanghelsk
    Arkanghelsk

Post  Arkanghelsk Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:59 pm

It was a nice strike by Ukrainians, as was Moskva

Ukrainians have shown good capabilities , even if it was a well placed sabotage

As well they advertised all these strikes weeks in advance

So for Russian intel knowing this , the Ukrainians got a couple good shots in, mostly moskva, antonovsky bridge, Rostov on Don fuel depot, and the Saki airbase strike - not enough to kill Russia but certainly a demonstration of the ability to hit certain places

I would not get surprised if they hit the bridge too -

But it is what it is , it's tough to watch all areas 24/7

But if Russia can accomplish some objective then it's good

RTN and owais.usmani like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:05 pm

Russia should keep its eyes on the prize. Roll up the south and east and assimilate them back into Russia where they belong.
    The rest can become the true Ukraine. Without the south and the east it will be an economic zero. It will not last and will
    not become a bastion against Russia.

GarryB, d_taddei2, Big_Gazza, ALAMO, Mir and Broski like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:42 pm

kvs wrote:Russia should keep its eyes on the prize.   Roll up the south and east and assimilate them back into Russia where they belong.
    The rest can become the true Ukraine.   Without the south and the east it will be an economic zero.   It will not last and will
    not become a bastion against Russia.  

Oh no no no no!
    They should go a full beserke mode, and unleash level 5 to make some Internet blowjobers satisfied!
    Just run, like a headless chicken left and right!
    Now the jobless armchair pulkovodscy will be happy!

sepheronx, GarryB, flamming_python, kvs and Broski like this post

Dr.Snufflebug

Post  Dr.Snufflebug Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm

That woman from Mariupol went to occupied/liberated (depending on whose side you're on*) Berdyansk as well.

´

Hryvnia is still the main currency there, it seems like. Unlike Kherson, Mariupol etc.

* Though the "occupied" side claims there's a massive campaign of ethnic cleansing going on, Russian occupiers just killing random civilians on sight, constant murders, rapes, torture everywhere, people cowering in fear all over the place.

P.S. will there ever be a time when the over-the-top propaganda will be challenged by some courageous western journalists? It's like a parallel universe.

Big_Gazza, kvs, Hole and Serberus like this post

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:11 pm

Hole wrote:

Maybe they can get their equipment from Afghanistan at discount if they buy 10 they get one for free. Appears that the NATO countries would need to arm themselves in these times were they are facing logistical challenges.

GarryB, d_taddei2, kvs, Hole, Broski and Belisarius like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:22 am