Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+50
william.boutros
Sprut-B
thegopnik
TMA1
Krepost
GarryB
Isos
Tsavo Lion
AMCXXL
mnztr
Kiko
mack8
George1
Scorpius
Odin of Ossetia
sepheronx
AlfaT8
lancelot
Robert.V
zepia
Department Of Defense
Sujoy
RTN
Werewolf
lyle6
Arrow
Rodion_Romanovic
Belisarius
caveat emptor
Backman
Podlodka77
magnumcromagnon
gmsmith1985
Mir
ALAMO
miketheterrible
Arkanghelsk
PhSt
LMFS
franco
flamming_python
limb
Cyberspec
x_54_u43
Hole
medo
JohninMK
bandit6
PapaDragon
Russian_Patriot_
54 posters

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2

lancelot
    lancelot

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2

Post  lancelot Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:25 am

sepheronx wrote:NAPO could be expanded. Or production of the jet can be opened up elsewhere to expand production. Doing so could also ultimately reduce the overall cost of the jet.

Indeed the Su-34 is a workhorse.  What I don't read as much is Su-30SM in this war.
    The Su-30 was originally designed for the air superiority mission. To expand the IADS bubble. The second crewman was supposed to handle the radar and weapons release functions.

Since the Su-30SM it became a true multi-role fighter. But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the crews were mainly trained in air combat. The Su-30SM also lacks the sensors for ground attack present in the Su-34.

Some Su-30 were even lost in combat over Ukraine. So they are definitively being used.

It should be enough to increase Su-34 production at the factory to its max rate. The max production the factory achieved historically is higher than current combat losses. Some of the tasks it does can also be done with other aircraft like Su-35 and Su-30SM. Like I said before I think they need to add MAWS to the aircraft to reduce further combat losses. Since such a system is already present in the Su-35 it should not be that hard to add.

In the long term the dual seater Su-57 variant will likely replace the Su-30 and maybe part of the Su-34 as well. So I am not sure there is much point in building huge numbers of these aircraft.

sepheronx likes this post

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 Empty Re: Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2

Post  sepheronx Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:42 am

My understanding g was MAWS was supposed to be added to the newest variant of Su-34's? One mentioned by Hole. Yeah, MAWS is present with Su-35 so shouldn't be hard or expensive to add.

Anyway, more jets please. Love these birds (all Russian birds honestly).

GarryB and Rodion_Romanovic like this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:38 am

sepheronx wrote:

Indeed the Su-34 is a workhorse.  

While inspecting the production, Shoigu said that they are making four times the number of sorties than all other types combined.

GarryB, flamming_python, Big_Gazza, Rodion_Romanovic and Eugenio Argentina like this post

Gomig-21
    Gomig-21

Post  Gomig-21 Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:08 am

Something you definitely don't see every day. 
    Damn Russians. lol1

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 F5h2i0UXMAAzW3T?format=jpg&name=small

George1, flamming_python and Big_Gazza like this post

william.boutros

Post  william.boutros Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:49 am

ALAMO wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

Indeed the Su-34 is a workhorse.  

While inspecting the production, Shoigu said that they are making four times the number of sorties than all other types combined.

There should be a follow on on this plane. Possibly with new engines.
    lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:26 am

william.boutros wrote:There should be a follow on on this plane. Possibly with new engines.
    I think the tandem dual seater Su-57 will replace this just fine.

flamming_python, Big_Gazza and Hole like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:56 am

I wonder...

The PAK DP is going to need decent flight range and at high speed and rather high altitude and with internal weapon bays able to carry long range AAMs.. I would think a high flying very fast platform like the DP could loft glide weapons to enormous distances without entering enemy held airspace... your operational costs then become the glide weapons themselves or missiles launched from high altitude and very high speed which should massively extend the effective range of most missiles, and the jet fuel to take off and climb and accelerate and then launch and then land...

Something like S-70 could be used to enter enemy airspace to get the enemy air defence to light up and interceptors into the air and a mix of long range AAMs and glide bombs to take out aircraft and SAM sites respectively as they make themselves known... and a few Zircons to hit the primary targets you wanted to hit with the strike.

flamming_python, Big_Gazza and The-thing-next-door like this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:53 am

lancelot wrote:I think the tandem dual seater Su-57 will replace this just fine.

Since when are there plans for a tandem dual-seater Su-57?
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:42 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    lancelot wrote:I think the tandem dual seater Su-57 will replace this just fine.

Evolutionary development of the Su-57 design. You don't think that they had plans for the Su34 when the T-10 prototype had its first flight in 1978?
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:23 pm

flamming_python wrote:

In the past India asked for it in the canceled partnership for the Sukhoi/HAL Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA). For the moment Russia was not interested or did not see it as a priority (also because they say that the su-57 has a "virtual copilot).
    But a two seater could be also useful in some roles especially for the russian navy.

However I would see it as a fifth generation replacement of the Su-30 and not of the su-34.

For that I would imagine they would do a side by side dual seater with reinforced cabin (like an armoured shell) from the basic Su-57 design and possibly a little bit more internal cabin space to allow more confort for multi hours missions.

Basically a new airplane that is related to the Su-57 in the same way that the Su-34 is related to the Su-27.
    Atmosphere
    Atmosphere

Post  Atmosphere Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:21 pm

flamming_python wrote:

There is a Dual seater Su-57 in the works but to act as a command center for drones. Here are the patents, meanwhile, there is no twin seater su-57 to replace the Su-34 because they said that the high automation of the Su-57 and its high multifunctionality already makes a twin seater fighter bomber variant redundant.Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 Mycoll10

GarryB, Gomig-21 and Eugenio Argentina like this post

lancelot
    lancelot

Post  lancelot Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Atmosphere wrote:There is a Dual seater Su-57 in the works but to act as a command center for drones. Here are the patents, meanwhile, there is no twin seater su-57 to replace the Su-34 because they said that the high automation of the Su-57 and its high multifunctionality already makes a twin seater fighter bomber variant redundant.Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 Mycoll10
    The whole approach to frontline bombing missions is bound to change. The Okhotnik can engage in frontline bombardment without risk of losing a manned airframe and its pilots. The dual seater Su-57 then controls the drones.
    Another possibility is launching disposable drones in swarms, with air launched drones similar to Lancet. An air launched Lancet would have increased range and would probably enable destruction of HIMARS missile launch trucks.
    The use of the UMPK glide bombs also means even frontline bombardment is much more survivable than it would have been otherwise.

A single man aircraft can do just fine when doing a pre-programmed mission, or a mission with limited complexity, but I doubt it will do well in complex mission environments. And if the mission is totally pre-programmed then you would be probably better off using a drone.

GarryB and zardof like this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:42 am

Basically a new airplane that is related to the Su-57 in the same way that the Su-34 is related to the Su-27.

Something like the S-60 strike aircraft that was supposed to replace the TU-22M3 except based on the Su-57 stealth design perhaps...

I have to say that I thought the idea of a drone carrying drones was redundant... a bit like the old idea of a bomber carrying parasite fighters to protect it over enemy territory. Obviously in this day and age the cost of even a simple fighter as well as weight would mean carrying an air to air missile instead makes rather more sense in terms of weight and space... but the Russians showed a drone that could take off vertically but with a fixed wing able to fly in forward flight at decent speeds that could carry small FPV drones with short range datalinks which are much cheaper and smaller and lighter and use less power... the signal relayed by the carrying drone to much greater distances.

An electric drone flying at 5-6km altitude would be impossible for MANPADs to reach or get a lock on with an IR sensor... about the only threat would be weapons like Kornet or TOR or Pantsir... and that would be expensive.

Being able to carry a half dozen to a dozen FPV drones you could fly to the enemy lines at altitude and scan for targets and drop attack drones on targets so the FPV drones don't need big powerful long life batteries or powerful datalink communications equipment and therefore could carry heavier payloads... looking at the new Euro super tank I would say an AI programme that automatically targets turret bustle ammo with an RPG level warhead would be a kill most of the time... and your drone could attack half a dozen to a dozen targets and then return to friendly lines for a refuel and loading up more drones or tiny glide bombs depending on the targets.

A scaled up version with strategic range could be useful too... but hitting serious targets like bridges and strongpoints could be achieved with super heave glide bombs and missiles... actually flying over the target and dropping conventional bombs is just too risky.

In comparison imagine the defensive problems of protecting a bridge from a low and fast bomber flying over, with a mach 4.2 bomber that releases glide bombs 250km away at 35km altitude where the air is rather thin and a bombs ability to glide would be a bit limited, but its drag would be very low and as it descended its lift would kick in and even a jet booster motor from a cruise missile to maintain speed and altitude to extend range...

Those 300mm diameter glide bombs would be optimised for supersonic flight because they can be launched from Smerch rockets so altitude and speed are already part of their design... you could probably pack quite a few internally on a MiG-41... or in this case perhaps the MiG-42?

High speed would allow these drones to reach targets much faster... in fact a new design one of those 300mm drones with only a 20kg warhead and the rest is fuel to reach max speed and range because when a HIMARs attack is taking place the Orcs will likely be launching from different positions all at once hoping to disappear before all of the launchers can be hit... having a bomber in the air like a Tu 22M3 that is loitering during a period when an attack is expected can accelerate and release large numbers of glide bombs to attack multiple launch positions at one time very quickly... putting ramjet engines would maximise their speed and range...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:34 am

lancelot wrote:
    I think the tandem dual seater Su-57 will replace this just fine.

and the non-tandem dual seater Su-57 will replace Su-30SM Cool
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL

Post  AMCXXL Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:16 am

New Su-34 for the front
    Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 4755672_900

Rostec reported on the dispatch of the next batch of new Su-34s to the troops. After the start of the SVO, production volumes of aircraft of this type increased - at the moment it is one of the main workhorses of the aerospace forces. The main supplies of products with UMPC to the enemy’s head come from them..

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News #2 - Page 18 4755904_900

Last edited by AMCXXL on Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total

xeno, Manov, zardof, Gomig-21, LMFS, lancelot, Mir and Belisarius like this post

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:36 am

..production volumes of aircraft of this type increased..
    according to them, it didn't increase by much:
    New Su-34 delivery, but even it can't offset losses in 2024

xeno, Big_Gazza and Manov dislike this post

xeno

Post  xeno Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:00 am

What a piece shit,have you ever read that shit you post?“10 shot down within weeks in 2024” “4 destroyed on airfield by drones”
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:03 am

They r free to speculate/exaggerate as every1 else does in the fog of war.
    xeno

Post  xeno Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:13 am

This is not the reason you can post shit on this forum at will.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:52 am

we r all entitled to our opinions; I'm neutral use sources from all sides to form mine, & hope others may banefit from it.
    However, if some here don't see a value in it, it their choice. Fair enough?
    xeno

Post  xeno Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:21 am

After AMCXXL's post on Russian newly delivery, you immediately post that rubbish on Russia's lost over 14 Su-34 alone this year, which is totally absurd and without any hard evidence.
    There is no benefit and value in here for Russia.
    The only purpose is to mock and insult Russia and try to prove how incompetent Russians, "you see they lost 14 this year while only making 4", which is total y against the reality.
    Of course you are not neutral, anyone with normal IQ will not post that shit, unless he is a Ukraine nazi.

sepheronx and Belisarius like this post

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:50 am

Just because any given article may have inaccurate data doesn't mean it's comepletely wrong. If new Su-34 batches were impressive, they would include the number of planes; but since they don't, it means they r small & in any case not bigger or equal to cover their losses. https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/03/list-of-aircraft-losses-during-2022.html
    FYI, my native language is Russian, I hated Ukrainian in school, & left the USSR in 1988. Before accusing me of being a nazi, read my earlier posts on other threads to see that I try to be neutral & unbiased.
    Enough said, & don't even bother to respond to me.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:24 am

Tsavo is a loser, plain and simple. His position on this forums is to troll and Gary has made a point of trolling but hasn't acted.

Tsavo does this quite often. Posts Ukrainian sources, no evidence because he can't count bort numbers, and then hides behind the veneer of "but it was posted and I am just reposting what was reported". This works on people with room temp IQ.

xeno, PapaDragon, lancelot and Belisarius like this post

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:53 am

Whenever I post sources, it's not necesaraly mean I agree with, or take them at face value; it's to share them with others to solicit their opinions, not to troll.
    Intel analysts use open sources to find useful data & info. even if many of the sources r inacurate or misleading.
    I do the same, if only to read between the lines, so to speak.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:09 am

I'm not buying the alleged number of losses of the Su-34, as far as I am concerned while a few have been lost, most claims are contrived BS. IMHO the Su-34 has proven itself an excellent warplane, and as such, the NATOfaggot propaganda-war scum have focused on smearing it. I just don't care what these conglomerrations of pond scum have to say. Russia is bleeding Ukropistan white while conserving her own people, and that is all I really care about. russia

GarryB, Kiko and Belisarius like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:15 am