Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+66
mnztr
Kiko
lyle6
chinggis
Begome
Gomig-21
Tsavo Lion
thegopnik
marcellogo
LMFS
GarryB
dino00
Isos
kvs
Hole
Austin
southpark
Big_Gazza
hoom
George1
BM-21
Rmf
miketheterrible
Singular_Transform
HM1199
Airman
AlfaT8
JohninMK
Singular_trafo
victor1985
Vann7
Project Canada
max steel
KRATOS1133
franco
GunshipDemocracy
Viktor
marcinko
Mike E
Asf
dionis
sepheronx
magnumcromagnon
Stealthflanker
BlackArrow
TR1
nemrod
collegeboy16
Werewolf
dleturbule
Hannibal Barca
Arrow
etaepsilonk
zg18
calripson
flamming_python
mack8
Morpheus Eberhardt
SOC
Sujoy
ahmedfire
Russian Patriot
Cyberspec
Pervius
Admin
medo
70 posters

Russian Radar systems

Austin

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Radar systems

Post  Austin Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Cyberspec wrote:Offcourse they can detect it...question is at what range.

Zoltan Dani's crew claim they could detect the B-2 with their modified P-18 radar. In the book about the war he says it left a similar signal on the radar screen as the F-117 (very faint and different from regular aircraft) but it was clear that it was a much larger aircraft.

That would be very interesting if he truly managed to detect the presense of B-2 , most certainly he managed to track and beat a F-117.

But i was more keen to see how the radars like EW radars , OTH radars and VHF radars are effective against B-2 type target , B-2 is the golden bird in Stealth so far there is nothing in US inventory that we know off including F-22/JSF that can beat a B-2 in stealth.

I am sure the Russians are not dumb and they must be worked out or atleast tried to work out tactics to detect a B-2 as they represent a real threat to them.
    Austin

Post  Austin Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:23 pm

GarryB wrote:Do you think the US would fly their B-2s close to Russia to let them test their radar equipment against them?

Let put the question this way , Do you think the Russians have any thing in their inventory that can detect a B-2 even if it flew close to Russia ?

Is there any statement from official that have hinted at it ?

So its a moot point , what if they flew and Russia was clueless ?

Would the Russians reveal that they could detect a B-2 if they did?

Probably they wont , Probably they are clueless as well.

A British team detected a B-2 at the Farnborough Airshow with EO/Thermal equipment for the Rapier 2000 system, and the Aussies claim to have detected a B-2 with their OTH-B radar at Jindalee.

The Rapier system EO detecting a B-2 is no big deal becuase it over flew it in the airshow , it knew where and what to look at and they pointed the EO towards it.

The Jindalee claim is interesting but there is not much information on that.

I would say B-2 strategic bombers represent a far bigger challenge to RVSN or Strategic Forces then any Minuteman or Ohio does when it comes to first strike.

Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Well if we go by the latest Almaz Antey marketing material they can detect the B-2 Smile

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 am

That would be very interesting if he truly managed to detect the presense of B-2 , most certainly he managed to track and beat a F-117.

What chance have the Russians of tracking B-2s when American marketing and propaganda are so strong? Twisted Evil

I am sure the Russians are not dumb and they must be worked out or atleast tried to work out tactics to detect a B-2 as they represent a real threat to them.

Only as a first strike weapon are they a threat.

And in a first strike you can't send up air support as that would give away the surprise.

We hear about how this stealth plane has a radar signature of a tennis ball or that stealth plane has the radar signature of a small bug.

The Russians track paint chips in space.

There are not that many tennis balls or insects for that matter that fly at 12,000m at 700km/h.

OTH radars actually have several advantages in finding stealth aircraft... their low frequency plus the fact that they bounce off the atmosphere around the curvature of the earth means they likely wont hit the stealth aircraft front on, but from the top or bottom... angles from which they are not so stealthy.

Let put the question this way , Do you think the Russians have any thing in their inventory that can detect a B-2 even if it flew close to Russia ?

Their BMEW radars would detect them for the same reason the Aussie OTH-B radars detected them. All Russian fighters have IRSTs and IR guided missiles and cannon.

The Rapier system EO detecting a B-2 is no big deal becuase it over flew it in the airshow , it knew where and what to look at and they pointed the EO towards it.

The B-2 stood out clear as day in the IR system, the Russians have optical tracking systems in addition to radar systems too you know.

I would say B-2 strategic bombers represent a far bigger challenge to RVSN or Strategic Forces then any Minuteman or Ohio does when it comes to first strike.

I disagree. With Humint resources within NATO and the US as I said a B-2 would be incredibly vulnerable to even an old fighter like a Mig-21 let along a more modern one like a Mig-29 or Su-27 or Mig-31.

An SS-18 is less interceptable than a B-2... there is no chance that a B-2 strike could wipe out Russians entire nuclear forces or even weaken it to the point that a retaliation could be survivable.

It would just be one way to start the end of the world... despite their price they offer no silver bullet that the US can use to make demands or hold over the Russians.

The Mathematics of stealth were created by a Russian and while the processing power of computers has increased enormously the maths hasn't changed much at all.

The difference between the F-117 and the B-2 is that the B-2 has curves thanks to super computers processing power and manufacturing methods that can produce products to the level of accuracy required.

If there were 100 B-2s then they might make a difference but there being only 20, and their locations being pretty much known and monitored they are not the threat in real terms you seem to think they are.
    medo
    medo

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty Nebo-M AESA radar

Post  medo Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:49 pm

http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/20111116165629.shtml

In 2012 Russian military will receive first Nebo-M AESA radar complexes, which pass all state tests. Nebo-M consist of 3 AESA radars, which work in different wave lenghts.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 am

Can we have a list of Russian air-force radars in use?
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Sun May 06, 2012 12:34 am

These are what I've found in imagery, which in no way implies that these are the only systems deployed:

P-12/18 SPOON REST
    P-14 TALL KING
    P-19 THIN SKIN
    P-35/37 BAR LOCK
    P-80 BACK NET
    22Zh6 TIN TRAP
    36D6 TIN SHIELD
    55Zh6 TALL RACK

Those are only the radars that I've conclusively ID'ed at dedicated EW/GCI sites. SAM-related radars like the 64N6 aren't included.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I've recently located 59N6 radars, you can add those to the list. I'm also rechecking placemarks to ID individual radars. The numbers are going into a spreadsheet, I'll post the final totals of each radar when I get through everything.
    SOC
    SOC

Post  SOC Wed May 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Here are the numbers I've come up with for deployed radars.

1. These are only radar systems I could positively identify.
    2. These are only radars found at EW sites that I have identified; I'm not trying to imply that there aren't any more of them out there!

P-12/18 SPOON REST: 58 - most commonly found at airfields (32)
    P-14 TALL KING: 83
    P-19 THIN SKIN: 24 - likely to be a lot more, these can be harder to identify due to the very small array
    P-35/37 BAR LOCK: 198 - most commonly found at airfields (131)
    P-80 BACK NET: 47
    22Zh6 TIN TRAP: 35 - most commonly found at airfields (20)
    55Zh6 TALL RACK: 54 - the only operational CVLO radar
    59N6 HIGH CARD: 2
    36D6 TIN SHIELD: 132
    1L13 BOX SPRING: 4 - likely only really employed by tactical SAM units

It's interesting that there are a lot of older systems still around, but they're mostly used by airfields for GCI or traffic control. Obviously you can't tell if they've been upgraded simply by looking at satellite overheads. Likewise, there are a lot of EW sites using protective domes for the radars, can't tell what's inside those. Many of the newer radars exhibited or offered by Rosoboronexport/Rusarm simply don't seem to be found in service anywhere apart from the 59N6 and 55Zh6.

George1 likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu May 24, 2012 12:20 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the VKO or new Aerospace defence forces were standardising on two main mobile radar systems. I would expect because they were only created in December last year that they might take a short period to get their act together and start replacing the mobile radar network they control.
    ahmedfire
    ahmedfire

Post  ahmedfire Thu May 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Russian VHF counter stealth radars proliferate

Last edited by ahmedfire on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    medo
    medo

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty New Nebo-M radar at VVS 100 years anniversary.

Post  medo Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Dsc_0110

New Nebo-M radar at VVS 100 years anniversary.
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty Export version of - 1L121-E mobile 3-D air-defence radar

Post  Sujoy Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm

At the Aero-India 2013 Russian company NNIIRT has introduced an export version of its 1L121-E mobile 3-D air-defence radar.

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 1l121e10
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 am

Sujoy wrote:At the Aero-India 2013 Russian company NNIIRT has introduced an export version of its 1L121-E mobile 3-D air-defence radar.

Nice article about the radar.

LINK

Here it is on MT-LB
    Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Nz6e1
    Sujoy
    Sujoy

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty Russian radar systems

Post  Sujoy Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 am

Viktor wrote:Nice article about the radar.

Exactly and a great picture too . Thank You .
    dino00
    dino00

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty Almaz-Antei to Showcase New Battlefield Radars

Post  dino00 Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:17 pm

MOSCOW, February 15 (RIA Novosti) - Russia’s air-defense systems manufacturer Almaz-Antei will for the first time show mockup models of advanced battlefield surveillance radar systems at the IDEX-2013 international arms exhibition in Abu Dhabi, the company said on Friday.
    Almaz-Antei will display models of FARA-PV, a modernized, portable short-range battlefield surveillance radar with a panoramic display, and Project 1L277, a short-range solid-state ground surveillance radar.
    The radars are designed for day/night and all-weather location of moving targets (personnel and vehicles) and stationary objects. They feature automatic transmission of data to the user and can be used to adjust artillery fire.
    Project 1L277 can track up to 20 targets and is capable of automatic moving target recognition.
    Representatives of nine defense firms affiliated with Almaz-Antei will take part in the exhibition. IDEX-2013 will run from February 17-22.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20130215/179490092.html
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:01 am

This was brought up in the ABM thread -

http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-604.html

The ultimate anti-missile gun system. 80 barrels throwing up a metal storm.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Empty Russian radar systems

Post  Viktor Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm

I think we need only one such topic where we will discuss all sort of Russian radar systems.

Now Russian radar systems are spread among numerous other topics and the whole situation is not clear.

So to start I have one interesting topic that emerged today.

The Russian Defense Ministry will develop a network of beyond horizon radar with detection range of 3000 miles using as a basis the

OTH radars 'Konteyner' developed by Niidar.

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 3029k3q

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Xpsbdg

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Kbw4d3

Defense will create a new network-horizon radar

The Ministry of Defence of Russia began to create a network of radars that allow for airspace surveillance within a radius of three thousand miles away. According to the source , "Interfax" in the heart of the new radar systems will be "Container".

The interviewee noted that the network can be deployed at short notice and will conduct reconnaissance radar airspace, even outside of the border. Specific dates, number of stations, their location and other details were not disclosed.

The-horizon radar (OTH-Radar) "Container" developed research and production complex " SRI distance radio communication . " The principle of reflection of radio waves is determined (the order of ten meters), the length of the ionosphere , which allows to detect a target even when it is hidden behind the horizon. The first such station was built shortly after the Second World War, after which the technology has consistently improved; Duga "Container", according to some sources , is being tested in 2002 near the town of Gorodets. The system, based on similar Duga different from other network-horizon radar "Voronezh": used for the observation of objects in space and detecting

launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles. The main objective of "containers" to the identification of small-ship cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles.

LINK

LINK OF THE COMPANY
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:00 am

New radar sets deployed although it is not clear which type and how many.

Up to 30 new radar sets should be delivered by the end of this year.

In the Western Military District in the air defense system on alert have taken up new radar
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:15 pm

I think russian moD will buy a lot of new radars for all military districts.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:20 pm

96L6 Lira radar 

Russian Radar systems - Page 2 Rjff5e
    Russian Radar systems - Page 2 1izqmu
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 pm

You prempted me by like 30 seconds.Damn you Victor!

The desert paint is certainly interesting. Maybe an export brand new 96L6....
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:29 pm

TR1 wrote:You prempted me by like 30 seconds.Damn you Victor!

CoolVery Happy

TR1 wrote:The desert paint is certainly interesting. Maybe an export brand new 96L6....

Was thinking the same. Perhaps Algeria? 

Russia now adds one 96L6 per battery to increase flexibility in case 64N6 gets destroyed for whatever reason.
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Wait I thought 96L6 was the "standard" search radar, and 64N6 was the additional bonus?
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Ooops nevermind.

Mixed up 96L6 and 92N6.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm