Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+49
Regular
Isos
Godric
Odin of Ossetia
The Ottoman
Arctic_Fox
Azi
0nillie0
auslander
Vann7
Kimppis
Hannibal Barca
zorobabel
Karl Haushofer
archangelski
AlfaT8
GunshipDemocracy
JohninMK
Tingsay
crod
ATLASCUB
nomadski
starman
kvs
KiloGolf
KoTeMoRe
GarryB
yavar
lycantrop
BKP
eehnie
George1
franco
miketheterrible
d_taddei2
Cyberspec
calm
PapaDragon
SeigSoloyvov
Big_Gazza
medo
Visc
OminousSpudd
KomissarBojanchev
Benya
par far
Airman
Walther von Oldenburg
ultimatewarrior
53 posters

Syrian War: News #16

BKP
    BKP

Syrian War: News #16 - Page 13 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #16

Post  BKP Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:46 pm

ATLASCUB wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    Airman wrote:Trump said US will no longer provide YPG with weapons during phone call with Erdoğan: Turkish FM

United States President Donald Trump and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan spoke on the phone on Nov. 24 only days after a Russia-Turkey-Iran summit on Syria, with Ankara saying that Washington has pledged not to send weapons to the People’s Protection Units (YPG) any more.

“President Trump instructed [his generals] in a very open way that the YPG will no longer be given weapons. He openly said that this absurdity should have ended much earlier,” Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu told reporters after the phone call

Kurds better GTFO of all areas they occupy south of M4 highway in Syria. SAA is coming their way.

There is probably a deal in there or in the cards. At the very least we should judge on actions, not words at this point.

Even presuming Trump's statement is sincere, it doesn't necessarily follow that the arms shipments from US to YPG will stop. Factions within the US establishment are openly running their own show, particularly the intelligence agencies. As things are right now, they can be counted on to try to undermine Trump at every turn.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:01 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:
    Tingsay wrote:
    calm wrote:

And not a single helmet was seen that day. cry

I am seeing less and less helmets on SAA.

In most cases, helmets only work at protecting the noggin from handgun rounds and shrapnel.  In a lot of these cases, they will get killed either way from whatever they get hit by.  Although, in a lot of cases their noggins can be protected from regular rifle rounds (probably excluding the 7.62 that is used by the AKM's that is in the hands of both sides).

You will notice that helmets are either used by forces because of "it's the standard and has to" to "using helmet mounted optics and comm systems".  You will notice that in a lot of cases all around the world, special forces, mercenaries and what not, are not always wearing helmets.  I remember seeing videos and pictures of US and Canadian forces in Afghanistan not wearing helmets in various ops.

I mean, they could have a surplus of those old soviet steel helmets, but they are useless against anything other than shrapnel.

I'm quite tall and during guard duty and patrols I'd always wear it, that's an M1 helmet with plastic liner beneath. Rules during summer were flexible and everybody else would wear their jockey hat. Often when I served I found my head hitting things like sharp metal crap around warehouses, support cable from telecom masts/light poles, the ceiling of a Land Rover that gave a lift to an elevated guard post or the post's metal struts themselves. So it's good to wear head protection for all sorts of reasons, both during peace and surely when at war.

Another good accessory is shades, preferably military standard. But any protection is good protection. I've seen hot empty casing during live fire exercises hitting an officer right in the eye (from an HK11 firing next to him), he preferred to wear a beret for some reason and no shades. Lucky for him he didn't loose the eye.

I'd think that if any of these lads that ride MBTs and IFVs hobo style, looses their balance and falls head first on the ground/rocks. I guess it'd help a tiny bit to have head protection.

Well, generally wearing helmets when sitting inside something like an MBT or IFV is ideal. Even those old soviet caps. Our GWagons were a pain in the butt and I am also a tall guy so hitting your head at the door wasn't uncommon. But I am just talking of foot soldiers in general. Im just referring to regular foot soldiers in most cases. As for eye protection, its common now to wear something, basic safety goggles (yellow tint ones) were becoming common too, even if uncomfortable to wear.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:49 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Well, generally wearing helmets when sitting inside something like an MBT or IFV is ideal.  Even those old soviet caps.  Our GWagons were a pain in the butt and I am also a tall guy so hitting your head at the door wasn't uncommon.  But I am just talking of foot soldiers in general.  Im just referring to regular foot soldiers in most cases.  As for eye protection, its common now to wear something, basic safety goggles (yellow tint ones) were becoming common too, even if uncomfortable to wear.

Coming from and Engineering background, with workshop experience, eye protection was/is a must for me. It's so very easy to loose an eye in such environments, let alone in the frickin military, at war.
    Tingsay

Post  Tingsay Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:57 pm

miketheterrible wrote:
    Tingsay wrote:
    calm wrote:

In most cases, helmets only work at protecting the noggin from handgun rounds and shrapnel.  In a lot of these cases, they will get killed either way from whatever they get hit by.  Although, in a lot of cases their noggins can be protected from regular rifle rounds (probably excluding the 7.62 that is used by the AKM's that is in the hands of both sides).

You will notice that helmets are either used by forces because of "it's the standard and has to" to "using helmet mounted optics and comm systems".  You will notice that in a lot of cases all around the world, special forces, mercenaries and what not, are not always wearing helmets.  I remember seeing videos and pictures of US and Canadian forces in Afghanistan not wearing helmets in various ops.

I mean, they could have a surplus of those old soviet steel helmets, but they are useless against anything other than shrapnel.

I know. It's just that I see helmets as a symbol of discipline and overall well being, like a microcosm. Not everyone has to wear them but the way SAA looks, they are still nowhere near even a 'decent' military force.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Lets hope SAA keeps up the progress, like seen below

Visc
    Visc

Post  Visc Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:14 am

US-made missiles seized from ISIS by Syrian Army in Deir Ezzor – video
    Syrian War: News #16 - Page 13 23795833_156656268416772_7315618837757717620_n

BEIRUT, LEBANON (1:30 A.M.) – The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) confiscated a large cache of weapons left behind by the so-called Islamic State (ISIS) before they fled Deir Ezzor City last month.

According to a military report, the Syrian Army was combing through the Al-Arfi and Al-Hawiqah districts of Deir Ezzor when they uncovered a large weapons cache that was left behind by the Islamic State.

Among the weapons uncovered by the Syrian Army were several American-manufactured missiles that the Islamic State was planning on using to defend their positions inside the provincial capital.

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) released footage of this weapons cache on Saturday – please see below:

https://cdnm.almasdarnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/amn_4qZiPUXJypIWLVx9M1WILBPL4oKDwfEt.mp4

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/us-made-missiles-seized-isis-syrian-army-deir-ezzor-video/

Post  Guest Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 am

Visc wrote:

BEIRUT, LEBANON (1:30 A.M.) – The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) confiscated a large cache of weapons left behind by the so-called Islamic State (ISIS) before they fled Deir Ezzor City last month.

According to a military report, the Syrian Army was combing through the Al-Arfi and Al-Hawiqah districts of Deir Ezzor when they uncovered a large weapons cache that was left behind by the Islamic State.

Among the weapons uncovered by the Syrian Army were several American-manufactured missiles that the Islamic State was planning on using to defend their positions inside the provincial capital.

The Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) released footage of this weapons cache on Saturday – please see below:

https://cdnm.almasdarnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/amn_4qZiPUXJypIWLVx9M1WILBPL4oKDwfEt.mp4

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/us-made-missiles-seized-isis-syrian-army-deir-ezzor-video/

To be honest, very little of the shown items are US made. There is more Yugoslavia built things there, and it ceased to exist decades ago.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:09 am

Militarov wrote:
    Visc wrote:

To be honest, very little of the shown items are US made. There is more Yugoslavia built things there, and it ceased to exist decades ago.

To be honest, is the same. It is well known how the US is purchasing weapons in Eastern Europe to send to the Middle East.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:04 am

eehnie wrote: To be honest, is the same. It is well known how the US is purchasing weapons in Eastern Europe to send to the Middle East.

You are correct. The US buys weapons thru 3rd parties from ex-Warsaw Pact nations, then transport them thru Turkey and Jordan and into the hands of their "moderate" terror groups. Alternatively, they sell advanced weapons (like TOW-2) to US client states, and they distribute to their supported jihadi factions.

The US keeps itself separated from the action by several levels of proxies. Its all part of Plausible Deniability.
    Airman
    Airman

Post  Airman Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Another flights of Russian helicopters between Haritan & Al Bab.
    https://twitter.com/op_shield/status/934738965080559616

Probably Mi-17 and Ka-52
    Visc
    Visc

Post  Visc Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:
    eehnie wrote: To be honest, is the same. It is well known how the US is purchasing weapons in Eastern Europe to send to the Middle East.

You are correct. The US buys weapons thru 3rd parties from ex-Warsaw Pact nations, then transport them thru Turkey and Jordan and into the hands of their "moderate" terror groups. Alternatively, they sell advanced weapons (like TOW-2) to US client states, and they distribute to their supported jihadi factions.

The US keeps itself separated from the action by several levels of proxies. Its all part of Plausible Deniability.

Very correct.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:45 pm

miketheterrible wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:
    Tingsay wrote:
    calm wrote:

I'm quite tall and during guard duty and patrols I'd always wear it, that's an M1 helmet with plastic liner beneath. Rules during summer were flexible and everybody else would wear their jockey hat. Often when I served I found my head hitting things like sharp metal crap around warehouses, support cable from telecom masts/light poles, the ceiling of a Land Rover that gave a lift to an elevated guard post or the post's metal struts themselves. So it's good to wear head protection for all sorts of reasons, both during peace and surely when at war.

Another good accessory is shades, preferably military standard. But any protection is good protection. I've seen hot empty casing during live fire exercises hitting an officer right in the eye (from an HK11 firing next to him), he preferred to wear a beret for some reason and no shades. Lucky for him he didn't loose the eye.

I'd think that if any of these lads that ride MBTs and IFVs hobo style, looses their balance and falls head first on the ground/rocks. I guess it'd help a tiny bit to have head protection.

Well, generally wearing helmets when sitting inside something like an MBT or IFV is ideal.  Even those old soviet caps.  Our GWagons were a pain in the butt and I am also a tall guy so hitting your head at the door wasn't uncommon.  But I am just talking of foot soldiers in general.  Im just referring to regular foot soldiers in most cases.  As for eye protection, its common now to wear something, basic safety goggles (yellow tint ones) were becoming common too, even if uncomfortable to wear.

When I was on exercise in jordan we used soft hats most of the time only used helmets before the actual exercise/battle and our helmets only protected you from shrapnel and as stated protecting the head inside vehicles and that's it but wearing was a nightmare in the heat and guess for the Syrians they are probably sick of wearing it as they have been in constant war for last 6yrs.
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Reports, confirmed by @WaelEssam77, of a ceasefire agreement between the Islamic State & the US-backed SDF in Deir Ezzor.
    https://twitter.com/hxhassan/status/935256039389384706

New in Islamic State documents: apparent ceasefire agreement for a month with the Syrian Democratic Forces in Wilayat al-Baraka
    https://twitter.com/ajaltamimi/status/935261391455444992

#BREAKING
    First picture of the ceasefire agreement between Islamic State and SDF, I'll post the details very soon:

https://twitter.com/InnovativeObser/status/935246550686752770

Imagine my shock.
    par far

Post  par far Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Very highly unlikely this happens but it is being discussed.

"CHINA MAY DEPLOY SPECIAL FORCES TO COUNTER TURKISTAN ISLAMIC PARTY IN SYRIA – REPORTS."

https://southfront.org/china-may-deploy-special-forces-to-counter-turkistan-islamic-party-in-syria-reports/

KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 pm

par far wrote:Very highly unlikely this happens but it is being discussed.

"CHINA MAY DEPLOY SPECIAL FORCES TO COUNTER TURKISTAN ISLAMIC PARTY IN SYRIA – REPORTS."

https://southfront.org/china-may-deploy-special-forces-to-counter-turkistan-islamic-party-in-syria-reports/

Finally china is doing good. To be honest I have absolutely no sympathy for turkestanis. They happen to be majority wahabbi sunni scum and I have no problem if the Han completely assimiliated them.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Meh, until I see Chincoms in the desert I'm not buying it, these rumors have been going on for years without any basis in reality
    ATLASCUB
    ATLASCUB

Post  ATLASCUB Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am

Not their style YET. Moreover at this point it's better they are kept off.

Post  Guest Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 am

Same kind of news apeared for years, every few months, over and over. Chinese may keep supporting Syria in terms of not enforcing any sanctions, maybe sending them now and then some equipment, but using own forces, imo doubtful.
    par far

Post  par far Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 am

"MYSTERIOUS WARPLANES TARGET THE TURKISTAN ISLAMIC PARTY IN NORTHERN IDLIB COUNTRYSIDE."

"While some Syrian opposition activists claimed that US-led coalition warplanes conducted the airstrikes against the TIP, others believe that the Russian Air Force was behind it. especially that the TIP is currently supporting Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) military operation against the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) in the northern Hama countryside.

However, Syrian opposition figure Bassam Jaara claimed on twitter that the airstrikes on the TIP positions were conducted by the Chinese Army.

“The targeting of the Turkistan [TIP] in Jisr al-Shughur by aerial bombardment clearly means that the Chinese special forces began their military operations in Syria!” Jaara wrote on twitter."

It may have been the Chinese but I still don't buy into the notion that China will Ground Troops or Special Forces to Syria. When I think of the Chinese military, I think of paper Tiger.

https://southfront.org/mysterious-warplanes-target-turkistan-islamic-party-northern-idlib-countryside/#disqus_thread

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am

par far wrote:"MYSTERIOUS WARPLANES TARGET THE TURKISTAN ISLAMIC PARTY IN NORTHERN IDLIB COUNTRYSIDE."

"While some Syrian opposition activists claimed that US-led coalition warplanes conducted the airstrikes against the TIP, others believe that the Russian Air Force was behind it. especially that the TIP is currently supporting Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) military operation against the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) in the northern Hama countryside.

However, Syrian opposition figure Bassam Jaara claimed on twitter that the airstrikes on the TIP positions were conducted by the Chinese Army.

“The targeting of the Turkistan [TIP] in Jisr al-Shughur by aerial bombardment clearly means that the Chinese special forces began their military operations in Syria!” Jaara wrote on twitter."

It may have been the Chinese but I still don't buy into the notion that China will Ground Troops or Special Forces to Syria. When I think of the Chinese military, I think of paper Tiger.

https://southfront.org/mysterious-warplanes-target-turkistan-islamic-party-northern-idlib-countryside/#disqus_thread

Also forgot to mention it could be turkey but I highly doubt chinese airforce involvement and it's a bit late in the war to start getting involved to that level. This terror group hasn't just appeared it's been there for years.
    par far

Post  par far Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:37 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:
    par far wrote:"MYSTERIOUS WARPLANES TARGET THE TURKISTAN ISLAMIC PARTY IN NORTHERN IDLIB COUNTRYSIDE."

Also forgot to mention it could be turkey but I highly doubt chinese airforce involvement and it's a bit late in the war to start getting involved to that level. This terror group hasn't just appeared it's been there for years.

Very true, I think these were probably US or Turkish planes, killing leaders of the terrorist group that know too much.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm

par far wrote:
    d_taddei2 wrote:

Very true, I think these were probably US or Turkish planes, killing leaders of the terrorist group that know too much.

Turkish.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

par far wrote:...................

All is fair in love, war and the Middle East.... Wink
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm

The SDF's heavy artillery unit is heading home.

Syrian War: News #16 - Page 13 DP4QPSlW4AAhc2a
    par far

Post  par far Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    par far wrote:...................

All is fair in love, war and the Middle East.... Wink

Lol, very true.

"TURKEY IS LOOKING FOR CASUS BELLI TO LAUNCH LARGE-SCALE OPERATION AGAINST KURDS IN SYRIA’S AFRIN."

https://southfront.org/turkey-is-looking-for-casus-belli-to-launch-large-scale-operation-against-kurds-in-syrias-afrin/

This is also fair, love to see the Kurds crushed, make them a proposal, give the Oil Fields East of the Euphrates back to it's rightful owners(the SAA) or face the same fate as the Kurds in Afrin(make this proposal right after setting the Turkish off on the Kurds in Afrin.)

Last edited by par far on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:51 pm