Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Syrian War: News #14

    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 2447
    Points : 2431
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Word is the FSA is going to hand over the Qalamoun pocket, they are in talks with the SAA in one of those reconciliation agreements.

    I cannot confirm this so take it with a grain of salt.
    I've read it out there, God knows where now, so you are probably spot on, it makes a lot of sense for the FSA footsloggers, no point dying if you don't have to.

    The SAA strategy seems to be rolling along quite well, following your thoughts.

    Following my thoughts?
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  Guest Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 pm

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 QRI_BvvzKkE
    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 ZRHFgu493CU

    So this pic started floating around recently, i am not sure if it was posted here before. What i figured from some posts on local forums it was taken in Syria, tho others say it was taken on Crimea (tank taken from Syria to Crimea... highly doubtful feat). I naturally assume most of you can notice which T-72 child this is, which makes it very interesting.

    Some also claim then its tank that burned in some accident in Russia.. so if anyone has further info on this particular photo i would like you to share.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 5755
    Points : 5729
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  miketheterrible Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm

    Outfits are nothing I seen coming from Syria of Russian troops deployed there. I know the Marines are deployed in Syria but I have never seen that specific uniform used in Syria so maybe it is Russia?
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 8778
    Points : 8873
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Word is the FSA is going to hand over the Qalamoun pocket, they are in talks with the SAA in one of those reconciliation agreements.

    I cannot confirm this so take it with a grain of salt.
    I've read it out there, God knows where now, so you are probably spot on, it makes a lot of sense for the FSA footsloggers, no point dying if you don't have to.

    The SAA strategy seems to be rolling along quite well, following your thoughts.

    Following my thoughts?
    You suggested a while back that the SAA ought to neutralise the areas to their rear before they continued their strikes east.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  Guest Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:21 pm

    miketheterrible wrote:Outfits are nothing I seen coming from Syria of Russian troops deployed there.  I know the Marines are deployed in Syria but I have never seen that specific uniform used in Syria so maybe it is Russia?

    I have seen the uniform in Syria more than once, however landscape doesnt completely match what i have seen in Syria to this day. I have strong vibe it was taken in Russia, but i cant be completely sure.

    Then again stays the question of backstory of this bbq.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 2447
    Points : 2431
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:23 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    miketheterrible wrote:Outfits are nothing I seen coming from Syria of Russian troops deployed there.  I know the Marines are deployed in Syria but I have never seen that specific uniform used in Syria so maybe it is Russia?

    I have seen the uniform in Syria more than once, however landscape doesnt completely match what i have seen in Syria to this day. I have strong vibe it was taken in Russia, but i cant be completely sure.

    Then again stays the question of backstory of this bbq.

    Those are Russian marines, you can tell by the crest they wear.

    This is Crimea, Kerch region to be exact.

    There is fire damage on the tank, I don't know what exactly happened by that turret has been there for a long time. It pre-dates the Syrian war.

    honestly, unless you were there during the time this is one of those "We will never know 100 percent deals".

    From what I know it there was a firing mishap and they just tore the turret off the tank and left it there (I could be wrong on this part so don't take it has 100 percent fact)


    Last edited by SeigSoloyvov on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 2447
    Points : 2431
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:26 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Word is the FSA is going to hand over the Qalamoun pocket, they are in talks with the SAA in one of those reconciliation agreements.

    I cannot confirm this so take it with a grain of salt.
    I've read it out there, God knows where now, so you are probably spot on, it makes a lot of sense for the FSA footsloggers, no point dying if you don't have to.

    The SAA strategy seems to be rolling along quite well, following your thoughts.

    Following my thoughts?
    You suggested a while back that the SAA ought to neutralise the areas to their rear before they continued their strikes east.

    Oh well, they have to standard military tactics any general with half a brain should know the same also, I have waged enough wars to know how you advance and fight.

    Been doing this ALONG time. Heck, I could tell you how they will advance with ease.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 8778
    Points : 8873
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 am

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Oh well, they have to standard military tactics any general with half a brain should know the same also, I have waged enough wars to know how you advance and fight.

    Been doing this ALONG time. Heck, I could tell you how they will advance with ease.
    Well Syria is one of the world's longest serving battle areas, probably ancient ruts in the ground to follow too. Don't know your risk but hope you get out of there when you want to.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 8778
    Points : 8873
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 am

    There were reports that large numbers of the 'arab' element of the SDF had left following disputes with the Kurds with the US trying to mediate. Wonder if this is a side effect.

    If true it looks like the SDF is going to have to concentrate more on Raqqa town rather than spreading themselves around the countryside. This kind of casualty rate will hit SDF morale, they didn't sign up for their leaders to get rich whilst they died.


    Riam Dalati‏@Dalatrm 3h3 hours ago

    Over weekend, #SDF reportdly lost all #Raqqa positions inside City Walls, beaten back to Industrial District,150+ casualties (Inj+KIA)


    arpakola
    arpakola

    Posts : 1510
    Points : 1542
    Join date : 2014-03-12
    Age : 53
    Location : Athens

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Massive US Airbase established in northern Syria

    Post  arpakola Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:58 am

    Rare photos: Massive US Airbase established in northern Syria
    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/rare-photos-massive-us-airbase-established-northern-syria/

    DAMASCUS, SYRIA (1:45 A.M.) – Al-Masdar News has obtained rare images of an air field operated by US warplanes in the Sarrin Plains, located in the far eastern countryside of Aleppo near the provincial border with Raqqa.

    The pictures show a large US plane taking off and plenty of Humvees protecting the site. An American flag is also hoisted above the airport which is located in rearguard territory controlled by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF):
    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 US-warplane-in-northern-SyriaSyrian War: News #14 - Page 12 DEZ_7hDXYAENJH6Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 DEZ_5VCXkAERufi

    Although not publicly acknowledged by the Pentagon, the US is believed to have constructed upwards of a dozen air fields in northern Syria without the permission of the Syrian Government. The airstrips are used to conduct airstrikes against the Islamic State but also suggest that American troops intend to stay in the war-torn country for several years to come.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 5755
    Points : 5729
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  miketheterrible Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:47 pm

    I find it would be insulting but KFC is reopening their branches in Damascus now that it has been liberated by SAA. So while Americans are busy funding terrorists to destroy the countries, the US fast food companies are now eager to return?

    I would tell them to fuck off. But whatever. I guess if they will purchase local ingredients, then I guess investments aren't all bad.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 8778
    Points : 8873
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 pm

    arpakola wrote:Rare photos: Massive US Airbase established in northern Syria
    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/rare-photos-massive-us-airbase-established-northern-syria/

    DAMASCUS, SYRIA (1:45 A.M.) – Al-Masdar News has obtained rare images of an air field operated by US warplanes in the Sarrin Plains, located in the far eastern countryside of Aleppo near the provincial border with Raqqa.

    The pictures show a large US plane taking off and plenty of Humvees protecting the site. An American flag is also hoisted above the airport which is located in rearguard territory controlled by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF):

    Don't think I would call it a "massive" airbase, that would be Al Udeid in Qatar size. This is an airstrip. Also that "large"! plane is only a C-130 and it is not taking off, its engines are not running and its steps are down.

    Think I got out of bed the wrong side this morning.

    EDIR: just found this, Binnie is from Janes Defence Weekly

    Jeremy Binnie‏ @JeremyBinnie 5h5 hours ago

    I think BBC Newsnight has provided the first ground-level look at the US base near Qarah Qawzaq, Syria. 36.649576 38.301993
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 10569
    Points : 10643
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:44 pm


    Cold reality is sinking in for Kurds, with Resafa sealed off they have to fight war for real now and it costs.

    Volunteers are also paying the price:



    YPG announces English volunteer Luke Rutter & American Nicholas Alan Warden & Robert Grodt KIA in Raqqa this week

    https://mobile.twitter.com/mutludc/status/884775379872907264?p=v
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1809
    Points : 1987
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  d_taddei2 Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:11 pm

    @Mike the terrible I sure there must be a Russian version to KFC that's looking for a new market looooool
    avatar
    par far

    Posts : 2457
    Points : 2684
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  par far Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 pm

    Have no idea what Russia, the SAA and Allies are doing but they need to go for Deir ez-Zor, I have no idea why they are not hurrying up and going for Deir ez-Zor directly, the US has set up a base to get the oil fields in Deir ez-Zor.

    https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-july-11-2017-government-forces-rapidly-advancing-in-southeastern-desert/

    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 8778
    Points : 8873
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 pm

    par far wrote:Have no idea what Russia, the SAA and Allies are doing but they need to go for Deir ez-Zor, I have no idea why they are not hurrying up and going for Deir ez-Zor directly, the US has set up a base to get the oil fields in Deir ez-Zor.

    https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-july-11-2017-government-forces-rapidly-advancing-in-southeastern-desert/

    You have no idea? How about protecting their flanks and rear before they embark on the trip to the toughest nut, apart perhaps from Aleppo, that they have to crack? The SDF are now pretty bogged down in Raqqa and aren't heading down the river any time soon so they have the time to plan and do the job properly with hopefully the minimum risk to their own troops.

    Anyone can rush headlong unprepared into a probable disaster (given the way that ISIS seems to be able to defend) is that what you are saying they should do?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 10569
    Points : 10643
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 pm

    JohninMK wrote:........

    Anyone can rush headlong unprepared into a probable disaster (given the way that ISIS seems to be able to defend) is that what you are saying they should do?

    And SAA already done that once but is seems like everyone forgot their little assault on Raqqa....
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 2447
    Points : 2431
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:12 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    par far wrote:Have no idea what Russia, the SAA and Allies are doing but they need to go for Deir ez-Zor, I have no idea why they are not hurrying up and going for Deir ez-Zor directly, the US has set up a base to get the oil fields in Deir ez-Zor.

    https://southfront.org/syrian-war-report-july-11-2017-government-forces-rapidly-advancing-in-southeastern-desert/

    You have no idea? How about protecting their flanks and rear before they embark on the trip to the toughest nut, apart perhaps from Aleppo, that they have to crack? The SDF are now pretty bogged down in Raqqa and aren't heading down the river any time soon so they have the time to plan and do the job properly with hopefully the minimum risk to their own troops.

    Anyone can rush headlong unprepared into a probable disaster (given the way that ISIS seems to be able to defend) is that what you are saying they should do?

    Well, the main thing is they should be trying to close the Hama pocket since once that is closed and they capture Sukan then they secure their rears and flanks well enough, this little adventure against the FSA...eh isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things. It can wait,  Granted the SAA has been having a hard time with Hama area against ISIS right now. I understand what they launched the operation it was to force the FSA into useless they do not care about.

    Has they are worried (Rightfully so in a way) if they start that major major offensive, the FSA will start shit up to force the SAA to deal with it.

    so the SAA general command was like "Well let's just make sure they cannot bother us when we go for Deir" it's not a bad tactical call honestly but it's not a great one either there was little the FSA could do to harm the SAA advance and they would have been an annoyance at best.

    It's not a call I would have made personally but Army command made it so that's their call.

    Rushing forward yes will only secure your defeat and cost you dearly and right now the SAA cannot afford any major setbacks.

    Keep in mind Isis is attacking right now on the Pal front and attacking SAA troops at Safyan and a couple of other areas, they are trying to disrupt any possible advance. A wise tactic on their part
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 2447
    Points : 2431
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:15 pm

    BTW Baghdadi is dead, confirmed killed by Russian Airforce.

    so party everyone~ that's one piece of dirt I am sure we all can agree deserved his fate.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  Guest Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 pm

    "Military adviser Nicholai Afanasov was fatally wounded by artillery shells in Hama, the Russian Ministry of Defense said.

    "As a result of a sudden mortar attack by militants the town of Syrian Government troops in Hama province killed Russian military adviser Captain Nikolai Afanasov," the MoD added. Afanasov was stationed in Syria to assist and advise in the training of ground forces."


    Source: https://sputniknews.com/news/201707111055452463-russian-defense-adviser-killed-hama/
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 10569
    Points : 10643
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 pm

    Militarov wrote:"Military adviser Nicholai Afanasov was fatally wounded by artillery shells in Hama, the Russian Ministry of Defense said.

    "As a result of a sudden mortar attack by militants the town of Syrian Government troops in Hama province killed Russian military adviser Captain Nikolai Afanasov," the MoD added. Afanasov was stationed in Syria to assist and advise in the training of ground forces."


    Source: https://sputniknews.com/news/201707111055452463-russian-defense-adviser-killed-hama/

    Слава му
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 10569
    Points : 10643
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:34 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:BTW Baghdadi is dead, confirmed killed by Russian Airforce.

    so party everyone~ that's one piece of dirt I am sure we all can agree deserved his fate.

    Sweet!!!   thumbsup  

    Heard news from his flunkies online this morning.

    That is a nice scalp for VKS.  russia

    Maybe now they will publish video of the airstrike, so far they only showed photos.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 10569
    Points : 10643
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm


    Talk about crazy times we live in when you have headlines like this:

    Syrian Ministry of Tourism denied a license to Kentucky Fried Chicken to open a restaurant in Damascus due to American sanctions. (twitter.com)

    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 2447
    Points : 2431
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:55 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:@Mike the terrible I sure there must be a Russian version to KFC that's looking for a new market looooool

    I always wanted to try Communist Fried Chicken.

    (Let's hope people can take a joke)
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 4094
    Points : 4178
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  medo Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:20 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:BTW Baghdadi is dead, confirmed killed by Russian Airforce.

    so party everyone~ that's one piece of dirt I am sure we all can agree deserved his fate.

    Will US pay the ransom for remains of Al Baghdadi's head to the russian crew? With that money Hmeimim base could party quite a long time.

    Sponsored content

    Syrian War: News #14 - Page 12 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #14

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed May 12, 2021 12:22 pm