Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+99
Scorpius
Sujoy
thegopnik
Navy fanboy
ALAMO
JohninMK
Podlodka77
Arrow
Mir
TMA1
The_Observer
Backman
limb
tomazy
Kiko
mnztr
lancelot
Begome
magnumcromagnon
ult
william.boutros
x_54_u43
Singular_Transform
LMFS
Tsavo Lion
jhelb
marat
DerWolf
Rodion_Romanovic
owais.usmani
bolshevik345
southpark
verkhoturye51
Gibraltar
hoom
Hole
archangelski
miketheterrible
The-thing-next-door
KiloGolf
walle83
Tingsay
Peŕrier
T-47
eridan
Azi
Benya
miroslav
zg18
SeigSoloyvov
kvs
A1RMAN
wilhelm
Boban
Isos
zardof
franco
AlfaT8
max steel
PapaDragon
Tyloe
Ranxerox71
GunshipDemocracy
collegeboy16
chicken
Naval Fan
Ugen
Kimppis
TheArmenian
GJ Flanker
GarryB
Mike E
Big_Gazza
navyfield
Vympel
Morpheus Eberhardt
Werewolf
Vann7
xeno
ali.a.r
gaurav
stealthfanker
dionis
Hachimoto
KomissarBojanchev
a89
flamming_python
Viktor
George1
TR1
Firebird
runaway
Cyberspec
Pervius
Austin
Russian Patriot
Stealthflanker
Admin
sepheronx
103 posters

Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

George1
    George1

Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov] - Page 17 Empty Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

Post  George1 Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Isos wrote:https://russiandefpolicy.blog/2015/07/21/for-nakhimovs-price/

this is from 2015
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov] - Page 17 Empty Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

Post  PapaDragon Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Nobody is disputing value of upgrading Kirovs. In fact I think that they should go extra mile and try to get third one back in use and upgrade it.

I know that it's in crappy condition but they should at least try to rebuilt and replace segments that are busted if they can.

Same goes for rest of the fleet, upgrade everything. At least they finally got around to upgrading Udalois instead of scraping them.

As for smaller new ships whole point is to put advanced weaponry on more manageable and numerous platforms.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 pm

PapaDragon wrote:Nobody is disputing value of upgrading Kirovs. In fact I think that they should go extra mile and try to get third one back in use and upgrade it.

I know that it's in crappy condition but they should at least try to rebuilt and replace segments that are busted if they can.

Same goes for rest of the fleet, upgrade everything. At least they finally got around to upgrading Udalois instead of scraping them.

As for smaller new ships whole point is to put advanced weaponry on more manageable and numerous platforms.  

the third one that thing is a giant rust bucket, I've seen the shape it's in, it would be shocking if they decided to try and modernize it.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:23 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:Nobody is disputing value of upgrading Kirovs. In fact I think that they should go extra mile and try to get third one back in use and upgrade it.

the third one that thing is a giant rust bucket, I've seen the shape it's in, it would be shocking if they decided to try and modernize it.

The look doesn't tell you if the ship is in good condition or not. There were some officials telling they could upgrade all of them so it means they are pretty good and rust could be taken off pretty easily even with coca cola ...

Structure should be intact as they are nuk ships so they were build with better quality than corvettes or frigates. The materials used are top quality. There was a post here of an official from shipyards telling that the iron used for them is one of the best produced.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Isos wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

The look doesn't tell you if the ship is in good condition or not. There were some officials telling they could upgrade all of them so it means they are pretty good and rust could be taken off pretty easily even with coca cola ...

Structure should be intact as they are nuk ships so they were build with better quality than corvettes or frigates. The materials used are top quality. There was a post here of an official from shipyards telling that the iron used for them is one of the best produced.

Huh that was said so many years AGO and after looking at the hulls they said the first one could not be modernized it's a floating nuclear disaster and Lazarov was hardly in any condition for it.

Official statements are very clear only Peter the great and Naka are being upgraded, the other two are no longer feasible.

Kirov will be scrapped once they figure out how to deal with the nuclear mess that was created due to mishandling of the warship. It's reactor got cracked the ship was put into dock and abandoned at that point.

Lazarov was found to have a weak hull and would require extensive and expensive work to put it back into shape, so far the MoD has been unwilling to provide the vast funding the ship would need. Which if you;ve seen the numbers they would have to be crazy to agree too for one ship even if it is a kirov.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:................
    Lazarov was found to have a weak hull and would require extensive and expensive work to put it back into shape, so far the MoD has been unwilling to provide the vast funding the ship would need. .............

What number are we talking about here?
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Lazarov was found to have a weak hull and would require extensive and expensive work to put it back into shape, so far the MoD has been unwilling to provide the vast funding the ship would need. .............

Upgraded Kirov cruiser are or will be far better than Lider so if the price is less than building a Lider it's worth it.
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Isos wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

Upgraded Kirov cruiser are or will be far better than Lider so if the price is less than building a Lider it's worth it.

Better than the Lider, i doubt that.
    But as powerful Battle-cruisers with modern weapon systems, they'd easily outclass any other, although as far as i know only 2 Kirovs will be upgraded, either after or during the second upgrade will the Lider's construction begin.
    There's also the possibility of upgrading the other 2 if the MoD becomes indecisive with the Lider's construction.

IMO they will become indecisive, since they always seem to have some phobia with new big ships, but that's just my opinion, for now it looks like the Liders construction will happen.
    Peŕrier

Post  Peŕrier Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:39 am

First, I think Kirovs are quite unique ships with unparalleled capabilities inside russian navy.

It would be just a good thing to get three of them back on service.

On the other hand, a ship is not just a hull: a naval ship is made of hundreds, if not thousands of subsystems.

If most of them are in a poor state, it could be just cheaper and more cost effective to build a new vessel from scratch than trying to restore and update an old hull with most of systems out of service.

As sad as it could seems, I think it will be more effective to save the present two operational Kirovs and use the third as a spare parts' source, than restoring a dilapidated vessel draining funds useful to build brand new ships.

IMHO, the focus should be to finalize and build a destroyer's size AAW ship, followed by a dedicated ASW variant of the same ship.

About the so called phobia for large ships, I think it's only generated by the uncertain state of priorities: granted the russian navy would receive the required funds both to invest in new ships and to maintain and support them, projects would be finalized and appear far less Sci-Fi than so far published renderings.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:06 am

PapaDragon wrote:

Pre-Estimates was 2x was close to the current refit price for the Naka and the Russians had to sink more money into that ship then reported mind you.

So if they tried to refit Lazarov it the price would only get more expensive from the pre-estimate which happens all the time with this kind of project.

End of the day you would be looking at 2.5-3 Billion for it and thats me being generous, they would have to redo the entire hull replace all the wiring, replace all the sub systems.

The reactor etc it's just not worth it and the MoD knows this hence why they dropped it officially.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:05 am

3 billion that's pretty much cost of 2 Yasen subs, you are right definitely not worth it.
    hoom

Post  hoom Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 am

From recollection Nakhimov has wound up requiring significantly more structural repairs than was estimated.
    Combined with the earlier conclusion after inspections that Nakhimov was in way better structural shape than Lazarev -> stick a fork in Lazarev (possibly literally).
    AlfaT8
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Ok, so from this we can be certain that upgrading the other 2 Kirovs is simply out of the question, but i still doubt the MoD would actually commit to the Lider.
    Since there is also the possibility that they will focus on the Super-Gorshkov and push back the Lider indefinitely, again just my opinion.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:44 am

They need a cruiser level vessel to operate with any new carriers down the track and to base surface groups around.

Right now they have two cruisers that could do with some serious upgrades.

Personally I would like to see them rip out the entire propulsion system and replace it with the new nukes developed for their new carriers.

Such simplification would likely free up a lot of space and allow a bit of a shift around.

I would get rid of the shafts and use propulsion pods and make her all electric drive.

Test some early model systems developed for the new cruiser designs in these ships and also in the Kuznetsov with its upgrade.

Post  Guest Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:01 am

Isos wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Steel, not iron for sure Very Happy

And from what i read before Lazarov is in quite bad shape.

Post  Guest Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 am

hoom wrote:From recollection Nakhimov has wound up requiring significantly more structural repairs than was estimated.
    Combined with the earlier conclusion after inspections that Nakhimov was in way better structural shape than Lazarev -> stick a fork in Lazarev (possibly literally).

Allegedly work on Nakhimov already started when they found out additional issues with hull integrity, so they had to deal with those issues first. I am not sure if they planned such extensive hull repairs as they were forced to conduct.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:20 am

On the progress of the modernization of the heavy cruiser Admiral Nakhimov on the project 11442M on Sevmash

Yuriy Borisov confirmed plans to send "Peter the Great" for modernization

According to the Information and Communications Department of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation of 29.11.2017, Deputy Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation Yury Borisov confirmed plans to send a heavy nuclear-powered nuclear cruiser Peter the Great to upgrade the flagship of the Northern Fleet.

"The strategic nuclear fleet, multipurpose submarines will develop, and the ships of the distant sea zone (heavy nuclear missile cruisers)" Admiral Nakhimov "and" Peter the Great "will be renovated and modernized. We have a lot of work to do, "the deputy head of the military department said at a meeting with the leadership of the Navy and representatives of the United Shipbuilding Corporation dedicated to the implementation of the State Defense Order of 2017.

According to Yuri Borisov, these works will be carried out within the framework of the new State Arms Program 2018-2027.

After the return to the combat composition of the Navy of the heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser Admiral Nakhimov, which is undergoing a profound modernization, modernization of the same type cruiser Peter the Great will begin, said the commander of the Northern Fleet, Vice Admiral Nikolai Evmenov.

Separately, I note that in the "Reference" section of this message, the Department of Information and Mass Communications has confirmed its reputation as a "reliable" source:
    "Admiral Nakhimov", in particular, will carry cruise missiles "Caliber". The ship will be equipped with a new anti-aircraft missile system "Police-Redut", its antiaircraft ammunition will be increased at times.

https://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/2123728.html
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:31 am

Militarov wrote:And from what i read before Lazarov is in quite bad shape.

Not sure about that.  Lazarov looks rather sad and sorry while she was mothballed and cannabalised to keep her sisters operating, but only seemed to suffer from some weather staining and surface rust.  Pics of her emerging from dry-dock for preservation work show her looking quite sound structurally.

Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov] - Page 17 Lazare10
    Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov] - Page 17 Lazare12
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:

Not sure about that.  Lazarov looks rather sad and sorry while she was mothballed and cannabalised to keep her sisters operating, but only seemed to suffer from some weather staining and surface rust.  Pics of her emerging from dry-dock for preservation work show her looking quite sound structurally.

According to a retired officer in a interview on the Kirov's, he claimed they were built to last 100 years (structurally speaking)
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Cyberspec wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:

According to a retired officer in a interview on the Kirov's, he claimed they were built to last 100 years (structurally speaking)

All ships look sound until you get inside of them, unless the things are keeling over you won't see a problem from the outside.

He "claims" claims are just that.
    Tingsay

Post  Tingsay Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:59 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:

All ships look sound until you get inside of them, unless the things are keeling over you won't see a problem from the outside.

Not saying you are wrong but a good looking outside would most likely have a good inside since the outside is the most exposed to the elements, right?
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 am

SeigSoloyvov wrote:He "claims" claims are just that.
    May I suggest that your claims are no better?

If the Lazarev was really in such an allegedly poor state, why would the RuN commit scarce funds to her dry-docking and preservation? IMHO these allegations are just more of the usual policy-mandated shit-canning of all things Russian.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:18 am

Claims either way are all we have.... what a shocker that you believe the negative claims and dismiss the positive ones.
    walle83

Post  walle83 Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 am

If China could get the old rustbucket Varyag back in shape then offcource its possible to repair all the old Kirov:s. The question is just if its economical worth it.
    Personaly i dont think so. Yes I would love seing these impressive ships back at sea but how many corvettes and frigates can you get for the same price?
    If the price for 1 updated Kirov = 4 brand new frigates, then frigates is my choice.
    Peŕrier

Post  Peŕrier Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 am

Tingsay wrote:

Not saying you are wrong but a good looking outside would most likely have a good inside since the outside is the most exposed to the elements, right?

That could be true for the hull itself, unless water salt and galvanic currents have claimed an heavy toll on some internal structure.

But onboard systems, hydraulics like electrical and pneumatic ones, won't last like the hull itself even with constant maintenace.

So I do no doubt the ship as a hull could still be sound, but rebuilding most of the internal systems, with kilometers of piping and power lines, hundreds hydraulic actuators, fans, monitoring sensors and so on, would be a long and expensive work.

Last but not least, having a NPP means lot of work to analyze possible sources of nuclear contamination and likely a complete rebuild and certification of the NPP itself, which in turn could be more expensive than dismantling the whole thing and building a brand new one.

It is up to the Russian Navy to evaluate if the resources required are better applied to overhaul Admiral Nakhimov or to build something else from scratch.

My bet is that Nakhimov is still in such a state that it could be overhauled, but I won't bet up to what real plans for it are.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:48 am