The international military-technical forum "Army-2023" will be held in Kubinka near Moscow from August 14 to 20. Traditionally, most of the exposition of the exhibition will be occupied by stands of holdings and enterprises that are part of the Rostec State Corporation. They will present about a thousand samples of weapons and equipment. On the eve of the exhibition, Vladimir Artyakov, First Deputy General Director of Rostec, spoke in an interview with Dmitry Reshetnikov, Deputy Head of the Military Editorial Office of RIA Novosti, about the study by enterprises of the experience of using weapons in the NVO zone, expanding the range of guided missiles for MLRS, creating long-range artillery to parry NATO howitzers, about the start of production new remote mining systems, deliveries by corporation enterprises of new body armor to the NVO zone, stopping Western sniper bullets.
– What is Rostec planning to present at the forum this year?
– For us, this is one of the most important platforms for interaction with partners and customers. The plan of business events is rich, a number of signings and meetings are planned. And, of course, almost the entire range of weapons and equipment of our production will be presented - only about one thousand samples. These are aviation, armored vehicles, small arms and equipment, artillery and air defense and electronic warfare equipment, communications equipment and systems, and the widest range of ammunition.
I note that almost all of these products are currently used in the NWO zone. You will be able to see with your own eyes the weapons and combat vehicles that are now fighting on the front lines. Many samples have been significantly improved based on the results of combat use, taking into account the recommendations of military personnel. Thus, the audience will be able to see Su-57, Su-35S , MiG-35 and Su-30SM fighters . Attack helicopters Mi-28NE , Ka-52M and Ka-52E. Heavy flamethrower systems TOS-1A "Sun" and TOS-2 "Tosochka". Undoubtedly, the "Agriculture" remote mining engineering system will be of particular interest. Modern tanks will be presented, as well as lightly armored vehicles - BMP-3M, BMD-4M, BTR-MDM and BT-3F. I am sure that equipment and equipment for combating drones will receive great attention. Drone-related threats are on the rise. This is not only about military operations, but also the use of UAVs for sabotage, espionage, and so on. We will present the "Serp-VS5" anti-UAV complex, the "Kupol-PRO" portable complex. As well as a number of other developments in the field of electronic suppression, which are able to "land" the drone. And, of course, we will demonstrate air defense systems for the physical destruction of drones. These are "Pantsiri", portable anti-aircraft missile systems "Verba", "Igla-S" and others.
Special attention this year is to the means of protecting military personnel and equipment. In particular, we will show the new Amulet body armor produced by the Tula Oktava and the new RDG-U smoke grenades from TSNIITOCHMASH for protection against high-precision weapons.
I will also note the means of protecting armored vehicles from reconnaissance and attack drones, high-precision projectiles. For example, active protection systems for tanks and lightly armored vehicles, including Arena-E, various types of smoke ammunition and heat traps.
– You mentioned "Obereg" bulletproof vests. What is their advantage over analogues?
– We wanted to create a body armor that would protect the health and lives of military personnel at a qualitatively new level. At the same time, it would remain light and convenient, since nothing should interfere with the fighter during the task. And we succeeded.
The weight of "Amulet" is only about 11.7 kilograms. The novelty was tested not only with standard 7.62x54 mm bullets for the Br-5 class, but also with bullets of a more powerful caliber - 8.6 mm. The ceramic plate withstood such a hit. We also carried out shootings of American and Chinese classmates. Tests have shown that foreign vests are powerless against such a test and give up.
The servicemen on the front line have already received an experimental batch of our bulletproof vests and were satisfied. However, we continue to improve "Amulet". In the modified version of the ammunition, we have achieved very high performance - it is lighter by almost two kilograms, while protecting the fighter just as reliably.
- Tell us about the special "Cape" coating, which is designed to protect tanks on the battlefield. How does it work, what are the development prospects?
“This is the real antidote to satellite and airborne intelligence. It was created by the Kalashnikov enterprise - the Research Institute of Steel. Let me remind you that this company is also developing dynamic protection for armored vehicles. The masking material reduces the visibility of tanks and other military equipment in a wide range of wavelengths. Protects from detection by radar and thermal imaging devices, and its deforming color provides optical masking. Manufacturers of armored vehicles have already received the first samples of the Cape. I am sure that tanks and infantry fighting vehicles in the future will definitely be equipped with this protective material.
- How does the onboard helicopter defense complex "Vitebsk" show itself in the NVO zone? Is it planned to be further improved taking into account the experience of the NWO? Are there other projects of complexes for the protection of army aviation? On other principles?
– This development demonstrates high efficiency in the NWO zone. Reliably protects helicopters from MANPADS, including Western-made ones. According to the testimonies of the pilots, thanks to this equipment, it was possible to reflect several launches of anti-aircraft missiles of various modifications at once and safely return to the airfield. In recent years, "Vitebsk" has gone through several stages of modernization, taking into account the recommendations of the military.
In general, the evolution of airborne protection systems is a continuous process. After all, the guidance systems of anti-aircraft and aircraft missiles are constantly improving, their noise immunity is growing. Under these conditions, of course, work is underway to create promising airborne defense systems using both traditional and other principles of construction. They will make it possible to protect aircraft from guided weapons, including those with combined guidance systems.
- What can we oppose today in the field of high-precision weapons?
- Modern warfare is becoming more and more "sniper". We are working to ensure that the Russian army shoots farther and more accurately. The production of high-precision systems is being increased, and at the same time, work is underway to improve their performance characteristics and create new samples. An example is the well-known "Krasnopol". Work to improve this ammunition is underway, its capabilities will increase. By the way, in the SVO zone, this projectile has proven itself in the best way. It effectively hits targets, including single ones. Allows pinpoint fire to disable command posts and other important enemy targets.
It can be predicted that in the future the value of precision-guided munitions and the frequency of use will only grow. Their effectiveness will increase, including through modern fire control and reconnaissance systems, including unmanned aerial vehicles. Here I would like to note a novelty from " High-precision complexes ", which can be seen on the forum. This is an updated version of the Tablet-A complex on a new chassis. Let me remind you that the complex is designed to automate artillery fire control. He is able to control all types of artillery weapons and interact with reconnaissance equipment. Provides the commander with information about the situation on the battlefield in real time. Such developments bring artillery to a new level, especially in conjunction with precision-guided munitions.
- Is the combat experience gained in the course of the SVO used in the modernization and creation of new MLRS?
- Experience, of course, we apply. We keep in constant contact with the Ministry of Defense. We promptly receive proposals for the improvement and modernization of multiple launch rocket systems. On the basis of information from the advanced, we are forming a scientific and technical reserve not only for the modernization of existing models, but for the creation of advanced weapons. In addition, work is underway to expand the range of guided missiles for various purposes.
- When is the delivery of self-propelled wheeled howitzers "Malva" to the troops expected? In general, how are things with the "flower" series of howitzers - "Magnolia", "Drok", "Phlox". Which of them went to the troops?
- "Malva" has already passed state tests. Now its mass production has been launched. The first samples will be delivered to the troops in the coming months. Distinctive features of this howitzer is high mobility due to the wheeled chassis. It contains an automated calculation of the firing parameters for all types of ammunition. A simultaneous fire raid mode is provided - that is, several shells fired one after another will reach the target at the same time. Meanwhile, our developers do not stand still. Now a modernized version of the "Malva" with an increased firing range is being created. Believe me, we will have something to oppose to the long-range Western howitzers, which are now being supplied to the Armed Forces of Ukraine . As for "Phlox" and "Drok" - they are at the final stage of testing. Serial samples of "Phloxes" will begin to arrive to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in the coming months. In turn, the first experimental batch of 2S41 Drok self-propelled mortars has already been sent to the troops. The complex was created on the basis of the armored car "Typhoon" and allows you to fire without leaving the car. As for the promising self-propelled gun "Magnolia", it has passed the first stage of testing. It is being finalized and prepared for testing by the Ministry of Defense.
- At what stage are the works on the promising self-propelled artillery mount "Coalition-SV"? At what stage is the development of the Tosochka heavy flamethrower system?
- Testing of the 2S35 self-propelled artillery gun from the Koalitsiya-SV complex is planned to be completed this year. At the same time, its mass production, as well as the production of a transport-loading machine, has already been deployed. We have completed work on Tosochka, they have been completed in full. This heavy flamethrower system confirmed the high tactical and technical characteristics set by the Russian Ministry of Defense.
- For the MLRS "Smerch", the possibility of creating an UAV, which is "sewn" into the rocket, was studied. Today it is more relevant than ever, do you plan to continue work on this topic?
- We did not stop the work, they are being carried out on their own initiative in cooperation with the Ministry of Defense. The use of reconnaissance and strike drones as part of multiple launch rocket systems is a promising direction. We have all the competencies, including drone production technologies, to make this idea a reality.
- Is Rostec creating new ammunition production facilities to meet the needs of a special military operation? To what extent have the enterprises of the state corporation been able to increase the production of shells for multiple launch rocket artillery systems since the start of the SVO?
- Since the beginning of the special military operation, the volume of production of ammunition for cannon artillery and MLRS has increased many times over. If we compare 2021 and 2023, enterprises increased their volumes by 20 times. Deliveries occur without interruption and in the required quantities. To solve this problem, we have expanded production capacity, created new production lines, introduced new equipment. For certain calibers, Rostec enterprises launched previously mothballed capacities. We also involved enterprises of related industries, including civilian ones, in the production of individual components of ammunition. The composition of cooperation for the production of serial products has been significantly expanded. This allows us, on the one hand, to diversify production, on the other hand, to evenly distribute the load on enterprises.
- Did you manage to increase the production of armored vehicles?
“ Uralvagonzavod and High Precision Complexes are selflessly working on this . Since the beginning of the SVO, the production of armored vehicles has quadrupled. Often shipments are made ahead of schedule. I note that the vehicles that we send to the front are constantly being refined taking into account combat experience. Their security increases and so on.
- Not so long ago, a video appeared on the network, which shows the use of the "Agriculture" remote mining engineering system in the NWO zone. How did this technique show itself in real combat conditions?
– Without exaggeration, this is a unique machine, it has outstanding tactical and technical characteristics. In the NWO zone, the system confirmed its capabilities and received extremely positive feedback. It allows you to quickly install a minefield of the required configuration, as well as assign parameters for the self-destruction of mines at a given time. This facilitates the clearance process after the end of hostilities. Due to its high efficiency and demand, its mass production and deliveries began even before the completion of the R&D.
- Earlier it was announced that tests of the Hermes missile system are continuing. When can they end? Is there any interest in this complex from the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation?
- Initially, it was an initiative development of "High Precision Systems". We first showed it at the "Army" forum in 2020. Today we have made significant progress in this work. I assure you that "Hermes" will become a new word in the field of high-precision guided weapons. It will have an over-the-horizon firing range of up to 100 kilometers and operate on a "fire and forget" basis.
- At what stage of work on the project of the robotic BMP-3 with the Sinitsa combat module? Has the "Prometheus" complex designed for the robotization of equipment already been tested?
- The BMP-3 with the Sinitsa combat module is a successful example of armored vehicle robotization. But we are moving on. Specialists of the VNII "Signal" have created a software and hardware complex "Prometheus", which allows you to robotize any armored vehicles and control it from the remote control. Currently, preparations are underway for a large cycle of testing this complex in various conditions. Based on their results, a decision will be made on its further application and development.
- Earlier it was reported that VNII "Signal" has developed a new orientation system "Filin" for military equipment. Has the new orientation system been tested in action on combat samples? How significant improvements will it require when installed on existing samples?
- "Filin" will provide military personnel with a completely new functionality when working with electronic cards. At the same time, due to the modular principle, the orientation system allows you to quickly adapt it to almost any combat vehicles on various chassis. It doesn't require much modification.
- Have the deliveries of the new Chukavin sniper rifle to the troops begun? When will it be put into service?
- Last autumn, Russian special forces operating in the NVO zone received a batch of these rifles for experimental combat operation. Reviews are positive. First of all, they say that the weapon has become more convenient, easier to maintain. "Kalashnikov", in turn, continues to hone the rifle, making improvements to the design. As for adoption, we are waiting for the decision of the state.
- What changes, taking into account the SVO, did the AK-12 receive ?
– Since 2018, when the assault rifle was put into service, its design has changed significantly. Of course, the experience of using in real combat and the feedback from the fighters were studied very carefully. In particular, the diopter sight has been improved. It has become more versatile and all-weather. The safety control system has become two-way, which is especially convenient for left-handed shooters. The muzzle device on the new model is non-removable, that is, a device for low-noise shooting is now conveniently mounted on top of the flame arrester. Finally, the model received a constructively new, more advanced handguard. In addition, the machine has a number of technological improvements that are invisible to the naked eye.
- How is the work on increasing the serial production of Su-57 fighters going? When is it planned to install the so-called second stage engine on this aircraft?
- We fully fulfill our obligations to the Ministry of Defense. Now the aircraft is undergoing trial operation in the Russian Aerospace Forces . This year our cooperation led by UACplans to significantly increase the rate of production of these aircraft in accordance with the state contract. At the same time, the Su-57 platform is evolving. Its combat capabilities are being increased, the most modern technologies are being introduced into the machine. That is, its effectiveness continues to grow. As for the power plants, the Su-57 aircraft is adapted for the use of the engine of both the first and second stages. Even with the engine of the first stage, the fighter meets the basic requirements for a fifth generation aircraft. Aircraft with the engine of the second stage are now undergoing flight tests. Already under the current serial contract, it is planned to supply the Su-57 with a new engine - UEC and UAC are working on this.
- Su-25 attack aircraft have proven themselves well in the NVO zone. Is the possibility of their modernization taking into account combat experience being considered? What might this upgrade be?
- According to the results of combat use, the Su-25SM3 variant shows itself to be the most effective. To date, such modernization is being carried out at one of the aircraft repair plants. During the modernization, the aircraft is equipped with new sighting and navigation equipment, a new optical-laser thermal-television sighting system, a new satellite navigation system, as well as an electronic warfare complex and other systems.
- How are the works on launching Tu-160M missile carriers into mass production? Did you manage to fully establish the technological chain for the production of all components for them?
- Let me remind you that the mass production of the Tu-160 was discontinued in the 90s. Now we are resuming the construction of these missile carriers in a new look - the Tu-160M. Yes, we managed to completely restore the technological chain of production of all components. The corresponding cooperation of enterprises has been re-formed. As a result, in 2022 we witnessed the first flight of the Tu-160M built from scratch. The combat capabilities of the upgraded aircraft have been significantly increased. The range of armament has been expanded, on-board equipment has been modernized. The aircraft received new engines - NK-32 of the second series, thanks to which the range of its combat use was significantly increased.
- When is it planned to complete the tests of the upgraded Tu-22M3M long-range bombers ? How many samples are now connected to the tests? Were weapons tested on them? Have the existing Tu-22M3M prototypes been tested by using weapons against Ukrainian military facilities as part of the NWO?
- Tests of the upgraded Tu-22M3M long-range bombers will be completed in accordance with the plan of the Russian Defense Ministry. Approbation of new weapons within the framework of the SVO is the prerogative of the military department. We are ready for this.
- The PAK DA project has been suspended due to sanctions and NWO, or is it continuing in a benign mode? When can the first flight model of the newest bomber be created?
- Works under the PAK DA project are carried out in the mode established by the approved schedule.
– How is the work on increasing the production of military transport aircraft Il-76MD-90A going? When will the plant in Ulyanovsk be able to produce 10 such machines a year?
- The production of heavy military transport Il-76MD-90A is growing. At the UAC plant in Ulyanovsk, a comprehensive program is in place to gradually increase the production and supply of aircraft. Last year, production reached five cars a year. This year, two aircraft have already been handed over to the customer. I would like to note that the production of new aircraft is carried out on a production assembly line, which reduces labor intensity. The assembly line is equipped with a laser positioning system for units, which ensures high accuracy of docking of all aircraft elements. Starting from 2025, it will be possible to produce at least 10 Il-76MD-90A aircraft annually.
– What are the conceptual conclusions made by Rostec based on the experience of the SVO? What new approaches will be used in the development and modernization of weapons?
– The operation of products in real combat conditions has given us invaluable experience and continues to provide a lot of food for thought. Firstly, the NMD confirmed the main trends in the further development of weapons, for example, the growing role of unmanned aerial vehicles and high-precision weapons. Secondly, it showed ways to improve the already supplied products. Even a seemingly insignificant change in the design of the same machine gun can significantly alleviate the position of a fighter at the front, help him in battle. Here we clearly understand that we work for victory and do everything so that our weapons contribute to the fulfillment of combat missions as much as possible.
We can say that according to the results of the SVO, most of the types of weapons that we produce have undergone improvement to one degree or another - armored vehicles, aviation, artillery and MLRS, electronic warfare equipment, small arms and equipment. We are attentive to the feedback received from the front line and maintain close feedback.