Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+53
Hole
Mir
SeigSoloyvov
mnztr
TMA1
RTN
Finty
Sujoy
ALAMO
lyle6
Hannibal Barca
jhelb
medo
Airbornewolf
kvs
Backman
franco
Cowboy's daughter
lancelot
elconquistador
Kiko
Tsavo Lion
auslander
Airman
JohninMK
miketheterrible
Benya
ATLASCUB
nomadski
MMBR
PapaDragon
Isos
calm
Walther von Oldenburg
max steel
Kyo
Svyatoslavich
Rodinazombie
Solncepek
KoTeMoRe
Werewolf
andrewlya
George1
Austin
sinopak
Admin
As Sa'iqa
macedonian
connect2raza
flamming_python
GarryB
ahmedfire
Russian Patriot
57 posters

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 Empty Re: Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:12 pm

Airbornewolf wrote:Complete anarchy at Kabul airport.

Afghan's rush C-17 wanting to start take-off. AH-64 charges in to scare them off.
    C-17 rolling down runway with people near its gear and under the wings.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1427171566291464193

Well,...i guess Brad pitts world war Z jeruzalem airport scenes are possible in real-life after all.

When I read all this, this morning, I'm very sad.

I'm very sad for the people in Afghanistan. I'm very sad for the persons left behind.

I'm very sad to see what's coming.

& I'm very sad to see what my Country has become.

No disrespect to any soldiers. I remember in Vietnam, bad commanders ran the risk of being fragged, ...and I just really don't have any more words.

Gomig-21, littlerabbit, Finty and Mir like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 Empty Re: Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan

Post  lyle6 Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:16 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani has left the country for Tajikistan, senior interior ministry official says

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1426931538571128838

I must leave, my money needs me!
    I-i-is that a president-free country?

I'm going to presoom!

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 Jiykrc10

PapaDragon likes this post

ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:18 pm

There is a joint initiative of ex-defence ministers of Poland, to organize and speed up the evacuation of all the assisting personnel our contingent has there.
    We talk about hundreds of people with families, but I hardly believe there is any chance with proceeding that cry
    This is treason to all the people of Afghanistan, who believed in changes.

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:19 pm

JohninMK wrote:Given the scenes of crowds on the runways there must been a real risk of US and other troops being trapped there as the last aircraft to leave won't be able to take off without mowing down lots of people. Not video the US will like. Even if the last flights out to leave at night the carnage will be there the following morning.

The US/UK have made the problem worse by flying in more troops that will have to fly out again. Potentially having to shoot their way out. Did they think this through?

Their only hope is for the Taliban to clear the airfield. Oh the ignominy.

IntelWalrus
    @IntelWalrus
    ·
    5h
    An ACARS message just sent to a USAF C-17 Globemaster en route to #Afghanistan seems to suggest that if the plane returns with anything other than the crew and cargo they will be turned away from Al Udeid airbase in #Qatar and sent to #Kuwait. Is Qatar refusing refugee flights?

It seems pretty dicey. I think I read yesterday that soldiers sent Yesterday? was to guard the perimeter of the airport. I thought they meant the civilian one, but I'm not sure. I'll look for it again.
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Meanwhile on Kabul Airport......
    I am wondering how Blinken and the White house are going to weasle their way from this sort of footage.
    And keep sticking to "this is not saigon"

Last edited by Airbornewolf on Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ALAMO

Post  ALAMO Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:24 pm

They hardly have a chance to keep the ground there. Kabul is a 4+ mln city, with tens of thousands of refugees from all over the country, who were desperate enough to leave their homes already. If the Taliban will not cool down the population, they will tear that airport apart with bore hands.
    Finty
    Finty

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 Empty British forces returning to Afghanistan 'not on the cards', says Defence Secretary Ben Wallace

Post  Finty Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:36 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/british-forces-returning-to-afghanistan-not-on-the-cards-says-defence-secretary-12382817

British forces returning to Afghanistan 'not on the cards', says Defence Secretary Ben Wallace

The Taliban has now seized control of all major cities in Afghanistan after entering the capital of Kabul. Defence secretary Ben Wallace confirmed 370 UK embassy staff and British citizens were flown from the country yesterday and the day before.

Monday 16 August 2021 09:25, UK

British forces going back to Afghanistan is "not on the cards", Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has told Sky News.

Mr Wallace said it was not yet the right time to decide on whether to recognise the Taliban as the Afghan government.

"I think there is a lot of more to come before those decisions are made," he said.

Mr Wallace did acknowledge that the Taliban "are in control" of Afghanistan, saying there is a sense of sadness at Kabul's fall.

The Taliban has now seized control of all major cities after insurgents took control of the capital. Fighters claimed around 90% of Afghan state buildings are under the control of militants.

However, military flights continue to enter and leave the country and Mr Wallace said "they've just brought in more UK soldiers", with Border Force "joining us to make sure that we accelerate the process to get more Afghans out, which is our obligation".

He continued: "We will do everything we can to bring as many people out as possible."

370 UK embassy staff and British citizens were flown out of the country yesterday and the day before, with the first flight landing at RAF Brize Norton overnight.

"The next group of Afghans to come out will be 782 and we'll make sure we get them in the next 24 to 36 hours out of the country and are continuing to process those people," Mr Wallace said.

When asked if the Taliban had changed, he told Sky News: "It does not look like a change.

The British Embassy in Kabul has now been evacuated, and Mr Wallace confirmed: "It's not the embassy anymore, we have left that location, we've drawn down within the airport."

Overnight, the US State Department also confirmed all its staff had been safely evacuated from the American embassy in Kabul.

Mr Wallace said: "The US have made itself clear that they're not intending to stay and as the framework nation that leaves us with difficult choices and I've been pretty much honest about that all the way through this process."

Cowboy's daughter likes this post

Finty
    Finty

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 Empty Afghanistan: Taliban declares the war is over amid reports of revenge killings and brutal tactics

Post  Finty Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:37 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/taliban-declares-the-war-is-over-but-afghans-fear-return-to-brutal-rule-12382780

Afghanistan: Taliban declares the war is over amid reports of revenge killings and brutal tactics

he Taliban has declared that the war in Afghanistan is over after insurgents took control of the presidential palace in Kabul.

Ashraf Ghani, the country's embattled president, has fled the country - and now, the hardline group is planning to announce the creation of an Islamic Emirate.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Taliban spokesman Mohammed Naeem said the type of regime it plans to enforce will become clear soon.

Taliban forces patrolling a street in Herat on Saturday
    Image:
    Taliban forces patrolling a street in Herat on Saturday
    Live updates on Afghanistan as Taliban enters Kabul

He added that the Islamist militants want to develop channels of communication with foreign countries and pursue a peaceful transition.

Advertisement
    "We do not think that foreign forces will repeat their failed experience in Afghanistan once again," Naeem added.

Footage on the TV channel showed Taliban commanders in the presidential palace along with armed fighters.

More on Afghanistan
    First flight carrying British nationals evacuated from Afghanistan arrives in UK
    British forces returning to Afghanistan 'not on the cards', says Defence Secretary Ben Wallace
    Afghanistan: Trump calls for Biden to resign, as Dominic Raab accused of 'going AWOL' with week-long holiday
    Afghanistan: Hundreds sprint to Kabul airport - the only way out - as morning breaks a day after Taliban's takeover
    Afghanistan: The difference in Kabul now is staggering. Streets are deserted, and people are in traditional clothing
    Afghanistan: Finger of blame for Taliban crisis can be pointed in many directions
    One of the co-founders of the Taliban, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, has said the group's real test begins now as it turns its attention to governing.

Play Video - The moment the Taliban took over Kabul
    The moment the Taliban took over Kabul
    The militants have been seeking to project a more moderate image by promising to respect women's rights - and reassuring Afghans and foreigners alike that their lives are not at stake.

Taliban leaders have ordered fighters to allow citizens to resume their daily activities - and have been told to do nothing that might scare civilians.

But many Afghans are fearful that the Taliban could reimpose the kind of brutal rule that all but eliminated women's rights, with some lining up at cash machines to withdraw their savings.

Eyewitness: Stuart Ramsay
    Eyewitness: Stuart Ramsay
    Roads in downtown Kabul were choked with cars yesterday, prompting some of those attempting to flee the country to walk to the airport instead.

The Taliban has insisted that its fighters would not enter people's homes or interfere with businesses, and that an amnesty would be offered to those who worked with the Afghan government or foreign forces.

However, there have been reports of revenge killings and other brutal tactics in areas of the country that the insurgents have seized in recent days.

Play Video - Afghans try to flee at airport
    Afghans try to flee at airport
    One female journalist sent messages to her colleagues that said armed men entered her apartment building and started banging on her door, and it is unclear what has happened to her.

In one voice message, she said: "What should I do? Should I call the police or the Taliban?"

During the Taliban's rule between 1996 and 2001, sharia law was imposed harshly. Women could not work - and punishments such as stoning, whipping and hanging were administered.

President Ghani has been criticised for fleeing the country, with some local social media users branding him a coward for leaving them in chaos.

His whereabouts is unknown - but on Facebook, Ghani said he thought it was "best to get out" to avoid bloodshed and clashes that would endanger millions of residents in the capital.

Afghanistan's acting defence minister Bismillah Khan Mohammadi said: "They tied our hands from behind and sold the country. Curse Ghani and his gang."

Play Video - Where now for Afghanistan?
    Where now for Afghanistan?
    Meanwhile, the Afghan embassy in India tweeted: "We are all banging our heads in shame."

The UN has said there are "reports of serious human rights abuses and violations in the communities most affected by the fighting" - and that Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is "particularly concerned about the future of women and girls, whose hard-won rights must be protected".

Heavily armed Taliban fighters fanned out across Kabul yesterday - taking over abandoned police posts and pledging to maintain law and order during the transition.

Play Video - Was the Afghan war worth fighting?
    Was the Afghan war worth fighting?
    Looting has also been reported in parts of the capital, including the diplomatic district, and messages on social media have urged people to stay inside and lock their doors.

The Taliban managed to seize almost all of Afghanistan in just over a week, despite the billions of dollars spent by the US and NATO over 20 years to build Afghan security forces.

Days ago, a US military assessment had estimated that Kabul would not come under pressure from insurgents for a month.
    Finty
    Finty

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 Empty Taliban seize Afghanistan – live: ‘At least five dead’ at Kabul airport as thousands attempt to flee country

Post  Finty Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:40 pm

Stumbled across *that* video of the C17 with the crowds in this article, apparently people fell from that aircraft after it took off. What a f*cking mess.

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/south-asia/afghanistan-taliban-news-live-updates-kabul-b1903110.html

Taliban seize Afghanistan – live: ‘At least five dead’ at Kabul airport as thousands attempt to flee country

As the Taliban took control of the presidential palace in Kabul and assumed control of the Afghan capital, 26 countries led by the US urged the Islamic group to let Afghans leave the country, warning of accountability for human rights abuse.

President Ashraf Ghani fled the country on Sunday as Taliban entered the city, saying he wanted to “avoid bloodshed.” He did not disclose his location but reports claimed that Mr Ghani had flown to Tajikistan along with national security adviser Hamdullah Mohib and other close associates.

American diplomats were evacuated from their embassy by helicopter to the airport while thousands of people rushed to the airport, desperate to leave the country.

The Taliban have assured that no retribution will be meted out, but there have been executions in areas under its control such as Spin Boldak and Ghazni.

PapaDragon and littlerabbit like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:45 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    John come on you are better than this, We aren't going to start gunning down civis, we can remove them with non-lethal means if needed.

Don't make me laugh! I may be better than this but trapped US soldiers?

The non lethal means probably come to an end when the last Apache, used for blowing civilians off the runway as per Twitter video to clear a C-17 take-off path, has itself to be destroyed to prevent it getting into Taliban hands. A couple of C-17 trapped on the apron unable to move. What then? A F-15E strike or low pass down the runway? With no casualties?

How do you really think that 1000's of locals, in fear of their lives, being deserted by their allies will react once they realise that there is no escape. But the last representatives of the cause of their woe are about to?

How well does a running engine react to a, revenge for being left behind, blanket or similar thrown into it?

Anyway I love your "We aren't going to start gunning down civis" as if you haven't already in almost all ME countries you have set foot in.

As I said, the Taliban are your last hope.

PapaDragon and Mir like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:51 pm

Videos at links

Status-6
    @Archer83Able
    ·
    5h
    Massive crowds of Afghan civilians inside the Kabul International Airport this morning.

It should be noted that the US troops' main mission is to secure the military section of the airport, hence they make little effort to control the flow of people.

https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1427141981428387841

https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1427219890700759048

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E84xVkJVgAAX2bR?format=jpg&name=small

Cowboy's daughter, PapaDragon, littlerabbit and Finty like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Posted before, reposted for emphasis.

Must have flown in with refueling from a C-130, maybe more than one. Assume these are the last men out transport straight from the embassy to the Gulf or Pakistan. Maybe even a 'Paki Express' shuttle to the nearest safe base in Pakistan avoiding Kabul airport, taking out all the highly classified hardware and employees too valuable to risk via the airport.

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E82cp9VWYAIB6Pi?format=jpg&name=large

EDIT

Meanwhile from the safety of Oman. I think he means his blood shed Smile

syrseal
    @syrseal44
    ·
    12h
    Ashraf Ghani's first message after fleeing Afghanistan

Afghan President:

Today I faced a difficult choice: either I had to face the Taliban who wanted to enter the palace, or I had to leave the country.

I thought it would be better to leave Afghanistan to avoid bloodshed

Last edited by JohninMK on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PapaDragon and Finty like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:07 pm

Airbornewolf wrote:Meanwhile on Kabul Airport......
    I am wondering how Blinken and the White house are going to weasle their way from this sort of footage.

Easy peasy.

Get your mates at Youtube to delete it. Then it never happened. It will be Twitter videos next.

Then it will have been a totally peaceful exit with rose petals covering the US heroes pulling out, courtesy some CGI.

Cowboy's daughter, PapaDragon, miketheterrible, littlerabbit and Mir like this post

Finty
    Finty

Post  Finty Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:14 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    Airbornewolf wrote:Meanwhile on Kabul Airport......

Easy peasy.

Get your mates at Youtube to delete it. Then it never happened. It will be Twitter videos next.

Then it will have been a totally peaceful exit with rose petals covering the US heroes pulling out, courtesy some CGI.

Sure enough all the videos are gone.

I wonder if that Osprey is from the squadron detached to Al Jaber Air base in Kuwait, it would seem logical.

Sujoy
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:15 pm

U.S military personnel opened fired on Afghan civilians at the Kabul international airport who were trying to flee Kabul, killing several Afghans in the process.

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E82z1a6X0AABhbS?format=jpg&name=medium

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E82Jd5tWEAIZFz2?format=jpg&name=small

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 UMON8L8f?format=jpg&name=small

medo, flamming_python, Hannibal Barca, PapaDragon, zepia, miketheterrible, littlerabbit and like this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm

it's hard to know exactly what is going on this morning

Yalda Hakim@BBCYaldaHakim·
    1h
    local sources saying multiple fatalities including reports of a little girl trampled to death - who is firing the shots?
    Quote Tweet
    Yalda Hakim@BBCYaldaHakim
    · 2h
    Kabul Airport this morning. Gunshots. Chaos. Cries for help. No security. #Kabul #Afghanistan

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Alex Tiffin@RespectIsVital·
    13h.@Channel4News
    have reported that the UK ambassador to Afghanistan, Laurie Bristow, has remained at Kabul's Hamid Karzai International Airport and is personally processing visas for Afghans wishing to escape to the United Kingdom.
    He doesn't intend to leave until the end.

Liz Sly@LizSly·
    13h
    Hearing reports that the British ambassador and German embassy staff are staying behind at Kabul airport to process visas for Afghans who worked for them. Shower them with medals and Red heart

Yalda Hakim@BBCYaldaHakim
    · 18h
    The American ambassador has left Kabul
    Ross Wilson
    Ambassador Ross Wilson arrived in Kabul January 18, 2020, as the U.S. Chargé d'Affaires to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
    On 15 August 2021, in the face of the Taliban advance on Kabul, Wilson was evacuated from the embassy to Kabul International Airport.[5]

Finty likes this post

Cowboy's daughter
    Cowboy's daughter

Post  Cowboy's daughter Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:04 pm

But then here is another video showing security
    So, maybe there was no security, and now there is?? or vice versa?? Or maybe one photo is the civilian airport, and the other is the military?

2:27 AM · Aug 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Muslim Shirzad@MuslimShirzad·
    4h
    Catastrophe: Another one from Kabul International Airport

Finty likes this post

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:14 pm

Insane..

Greta Thumberg or whatever her name is of course chimes in

Afghan embassy in India is being legit

Looks like a scene from War of the Worlds starring Tom Cruise

This girl tried to get out last night

PapaDragon, littlerabbit and Finty like this post

Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Cowboy's daughter wrote:But then here is another video showing security
    So, maybe there was no security, and now there is?? or vice versa?? Or maybe one photo is the civilian airport, and the other is the military?

That is correct, there is an civilian part, and an millitary part.
    The civilian part has no control, its where most of the footage of afghans climbing civilian aircraft comes from. All the people storming the runway came from this area.
    supposedly in the last few hours Taliban controls it. But i have not seen any footage to confirm that.

The forces present there try to maintain control over the millitary part of the airfield. but its an big piece of real-estate to secure.
    There is an "base" part they are securing as well.

And they have no crowd-control gear, all they carry is live-munitions. So they can either shoot in the air, or shoot directly.
    Its difficult, as you dont fire on crowds of people.
    On the other hand, if you do not maintain basic control.
    you as a soldier will not make it out alive either as your life depends on aircraft being able to take off and land.

The C-17's realise this as well.
    They will take off, no matter who is in their path.
    This is way beyond any airforce regulations. These things are only done because it has to be done.

You see in certain vids huge dustclouds from C-17's on the start of the runway and its standing still.
    They push on the brakes, rev the engines up to maximum power and let go.
    It shortens their needed runway to take-off. Instead of the normal rolling take off.
    They are STOL aircraft after all.
    Its the C-17's advantage its engines are high above the ground, it was designed for not sucking in debri's.
    In this case....not sucking in random afghans on your runway.

I imagine the crews and ground troops there need some bottles of hard liquor after this shit is done.

flamming_python, Cowboy's daughter, auslander, PapaDragon, zepia, JohninMK, VARGR198 and like this post

auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:37 pm

When they are shooting at you when you leave, you lost.
    Korea, 1953, 'DMZ'.

Saigon, 1975.

Afghan. 2021

Auslander

PapaDragon, miketheterrible, littlerabbit, Finty and Mir like this post

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:39 pm

No figures for others

C-17 aircraft are designed to carry around 100 paratroopers and their equipment, that didn’t stop an American C-17 leaving Kabul with 800 souls on-board.

British transport aircraft including four C-17s, one A400M, one C-130 and three Voyagers are currently involved in evacuation efforts. Only the C-17s, C-130s and A400s are going into Kabul, The Voyagers are staging at Al Minhad air base ferrying back to UK.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/american-c-17-evacuates-800-people-in-single-flight/

DefenceGeek
    @DefenceGeek
    #Kabul Airlift - Aircraft Tracking Sheet - Version 1.0 (20:00BST 15/08/2021)
    Data collected via @flightradar24 @ADSBexchange and @planefinder
    Created with help from the amazing @vcdgf555 (go give them a follow if you don't already!)
    #Afghanistan #Taliban

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E82sBSnWYAgW1UO?format=jpg&name=medium

Cowboy's daughter, auslander, PapaDragon and Finty like this post

littlerabbit
    littlerabbit

Post  littlerabbit Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:23 pm

JohninMK wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E82z1a6X0AABhbS?format=jpg&name=medium

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 E82Jd5tWEAIZFz2?format=jpg&name=small

Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan - Page 21 UMON8L8f?format=jpg&name=small

lol1 lol1 lol1
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:27 pm

Well everyone asked for stoping US wars over the world. They got it.

You can't blame US for leaving if you asked for them to leave.

PapaDragon, SeigSoloyvov and miketheterrible like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:19 am