Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


+113
galicije83
lancelot
limb
Backman
flamming_python
lyle6
Finty
Scorpius
william.boutros
owais.usmani
LMFS
Gomig-21
mnztr
walle83
andalusia
PhSt
ATLASCUB
marat
nero
dino00
Rodion_Romanovic
jaguar_br
ultimatewarrior
Big_Gazza
Labrador
Tingsay
HUNTER VZLA
Hole
AMCXXL
iwanz
Benya
zeus2
franco
marcellogo
HM1199
KomissarBojanchev
miketheterrible
KiloGolf
kopyo-21
hoom
Book.
SeigSoloyvov
Berkut
AK-Rex
KoTeMoRe
Manov
Zivo
par far
Neutrality
Isos
GunshipDemocracy
max steel
zg18
sheytanelkebir
indochina
mutantsushi
PapaDragon
ult
OminousSpudd
JohninMK
rtech
Mike E
Project Canada
Cucumber Khan
collegeboy16
Svyatoslavich
Dorfmeister
NickM
higurashihougi
medo
kvs
Werewolf
Firebird
Stealthflanker
nemrod
Giulio
RTN
AlfaT8
Hannibal Barca
Regular
Morpheus Eberhardt
Sujoy
partizan
BlackArrow
magnumcromagnon
etaepsilonk
SOC
mack8
sepheronx
calripson
Sancho
eridan
ali.a.r
George1
TheArmenian
TR1
Russian Patriot
Cyberspec
KRATOS1133
AbsoluteZero
ahmedfire
Kysusha
Viktor
IronsightSniper
Aegean
GarryB
SerbNationalist
Austin
Sukhoi37_Terminator
levon1981
Turk1
Vladislav
Admin
117 posters

    Su-35S: News

    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33571
    Points : 34085
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  GarryB 19/06/19, 03:34 pm

    New aircraft are going to be fully operational nodes on the network, so any aircraft, whether it is a MiG-35 or Su-35 or Su-30 can use its radar to detect targets flying high or low and share that information with the network.

    Low flying subsonic cruise missiles can easily be engaged with air to air missiles, but enemy aircraft would be a higher priority... especially before they launch their weapons.

    Cruise missiles would be fairly easy to detect with IRSTs tracking their heat trail, and of course AESA radars can look down fairly easily... any model MiG-29/35 or Su-30/35/34 can easily outrun a low flying cruise missile... even if they had to climb to medium altitude to accelerate and catch up...

    Who engages what would largely be decided by the IADS... that is what it is for, but a flight of MiG-35s could certainly fire off AAMs at any enemy air threats and then turn and chase down some low flying cruise missiles and engage them with cannon depending on the situation.

    Of course Russian ships on the Black Sea could also offer missile and gun support, but when it comes to engaging stealth aircraft the Su-35 and Su-57 have the advantage of wing mounted L band AESA radars to detect stealthy objects, which the MiGs lack AFAIK.
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9579
    Points : 9565
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Isos 22/06/19, 06:13 pm


    Give-or-take the Spanish frigates the rest of NATO navies combined would have a hard time over-saturating the AD in Crimea.

    Actually, no european country can saturate any air defence system. Spanish have no tomahawks and maybe they don't even have the softwares to use it.

    Only french and british ships have ship launched LACM but in very limited numbers and very limited VLS numbers.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec


    Posts : 2907
    Points : 3062
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Cyberspec 30/06/19, 11:43 am

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 D-QlRK_XoAA_9aR?format=jpg&name=medium
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL


    Posts : 560
    Points : 560
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  AMCXXL 16/07/19, 07:17 pm

    Well, the first batch of Su-35 of the year has arrived, a lot has gone through Tolamchevo to the west, according to what I read there could be three

    By No. 18 it seems that they will also go to Khotilovo as the last batch of last year


    https://russianplanes.net/id252656
    Su-35S: News - Page 29 252656
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL


    Posts : 560
    Points : 560
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  AMCXXL 18/07/19, 03:57 pm

    AMCXXL wrote:Well, the first batch of Su-35 of the year has arrived, a lot has gone through Tolamchevo to the west, according to what I read there could be three
    By No. 18 it seems that they will also go to Khotilovo as the last batch of last year


    The batch of Su-35 was transferred in JUNE

    It seems that there is no interest in publicizing the rearmament of the air force at the moment, taking into account that until the end of 2020 the air force will raise new divisions and regiments to reach the planned structure

    In fact, this year has not been announced how many combat aircraft (Su-35, Su-30SM, Su-34) will receive the MoD


    https://tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201906071816-mil-ru-p3blf.html
    Aviation regiment ZVO in the Tver region will receive a batch of Su-35S fighters
    18:16 07.06.2019
    The aircraft will be delivered from the factory in Komsomolsk-on-Amur according to the plan of the state defense order. For the preparation and technical acceptance of aircraft, the technical composition of the aviation regiment will arrive at the enterprise.
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL


    Posts : 560
    Points : 560
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  AMCXXL 21/07/19, 03:31 am

    Su-35 Nº19 and Nº21 also saw in Tolmachevo

    This confirm the delivery of a batch of three Su-35 thumbsup

    Total delivered until now; 81 out of 98

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Ecksz911

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 3oxylv10



    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9579
    Points : 9565
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Isos 21/07/19, 05:08 am

    What is the difference btw red and blue numbers ?
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33571
    Points : 34085
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  GarryB 21/07/19, 07:21 am

    I seem to remember during the cold war the blue were naval aircraft and the red numbers were Frontal Aviation and other Air Force types.

    But sometimes they have different colours because of the camouflage colours of the aircraft... have seen yellow numbers on transports too.
    Hole
    Hole


    Posts : 6751
    Points : 6739
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 46
    Location : Scholzistan

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Hole 21/07/19, 02:06 pm

    PVO had also blue numbers.
    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL


    Posts : 560
    Points : 560
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  AMCXXL 22/07/19, 11:20 pm

    Isos wrote:What is the difference btw red and blue numbers ?

    There is no difference, the colonel of each regiment can order what numbers and colors are painted on each plane

    There are some traditions, such as not using numbers of pilots killed during the service

    It can usually be a practical question.

    Two nearby regiments carry different colors, such as Perm (blue) and Kansk (red) with MiG-31 in the Central MD, or Dzemgi (red) and Ts.Uglovaya (Blue) with Su-35 in the East MD

    At other times, they simply carry different numbers: Khotilovo with Su-27/35 carries red numbers starting with 01 to 28, and Besovets currently uses numbers larger than 40 in most cases, although in some cases it matches

    GarryB wrote:I seem to remember during the cold war the blue were naval aircraft and the red numbers were Frontal Aviation and other Air Force types.

    But sometimes they have different colours because of the camouflage colours of the aircraft... have seen yellow numbers on transports too.

    No,  remenber the Yak-38 in yellow, at least in North Flleet.
    Some Be-12 also in yello, Tu-142 in black or red. and Su-24 in White
    Also the Su-33 in red starting about 1992


    Hole wrote:PVO had also blue numbers.

    Yes, blue and yellow, as the Omsk MiG-31 regiment, and also white numbers MiG-23
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  miketheterrible 22/07/19, 11:52 pm

    There still has to be a lot of life left in those MiG-29's and Su-27's that shouldn't warrant decomission or scrapping. Just look at what the Ru Army is planning these days - They canceled plans to scrap T-80's and T-72's and even planning to upgrade T-62's to modern levels for use for national guard for crying out loud. Why not give National Guard their own airforce and upgrade these MiG's and Sukhois? They could very well be useful for further defense of the nations massive (and I mean massive) airspace. It is heavily needed.
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9579
    Points : 9565
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Isos 23/07/19, 12:01 am

    Money is always the issue.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  miketheterrible 23/07/19, 12:24 am

    Isos wrote:Money is always the issue.

    No it isn't.

    Please explain how and how much money?  And I can show you economic data with budget revenue growth.

    The simple fact is, these jets already exist.  Upgrade options (SVP-24, modernized radar and engines with airframe maintenance) is rather cheap.  Much cheaper than a new jet.

    The defense budget is rather small compared to overall economy and growth existed because of defense procurement for domestic industry.

    Anyway, they are stifling their own defenses by removing these jets from service. Su-27 with upgrades is still sufficient for air defense and a good competitor to F-15's.

    national guard average budget (minus the procurement) is rather huge.

    They can afford it. They just choose not to.
    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9579
    Points : 9565
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Isos 23/07/19, 12:40 am

    Cheaper to make but more expensive to operate. Su-30/35/57 are newer and even if they share the same bases/producer that's operating 3 different sukhois and 4 with the su-34. So if you add older su-27 that will be 5 sukhoi.

    If you want to upgrade the engines (so the avionics too), the radar (so all the computers too) better go with new engines because the only thing left to build is the airframe. On the long term it is cheaper to buy new jets.

    Tanks are different thing. Much easier to maintain than a jet and more easily maintained in good conditions since they are metal boxes.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible


    Posts : 7403
    Points : 7377
    Join date : 2016-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  miketheterrible 23/07/19, 12:50 am

    Isos wrote:Cheaper to make but more expensive to operate. Su-30/35/57 are newer and even if they share the same bases/producer that's operating 3 different sukhois and 4 with the su-34.  So if you add older su-27 that will be 5 sukhoi.

    If you want to upgrade the engines (so the avionics too), the radar (so all the computers too) better go with new engines because the only thing left to build is the airframe. On the long term it is cheaper to buy new jets.

    Tanks are different thing. Much easier to maintain than a jet and more easily maintained in good conditions since they are metal boxes.

    While that is true, they could at least cannibalize and keep them afloat. I know operational and maintenance costs may be higher, but how much? dunno.

    Or best other option is sell them off and use the excess money to purchase more Su-30's and 35's. Now I wonder how much they could sell those Sukhois? maybe offer upgrade packages with them?
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic


    Posts : 1593
    Points : 1577
    Join date : 2015-12-31
    Location : Merkelland

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic 23/07/19, 04:14 am

    Sorry I missed something.  did they say that they will scrap those su 27s and mig 29?

    I can imagine a certain large middle Eastern nation that needs to replace their f14 and would probably be glad to buy refurbished sukhoi and migs, especially if coming with relatively modern radars, weapon systems and avionics.
    They could even pay in oil.
    GarryB
    GarryB


    Posts : 33571
    Points : 34085
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  GarryB 23/07/19, 10:04 am

    Yes, I totally agree that a trade for oil or LNG with Iran would make enormous sense for both countries... in fact a bit of extra gas or oil and pay for Russian companies to give them a decent upgrade too to make them easier to maintain and operate...
    ultimatewarrior
    ultimatewarrior


    Posts : 818
    Points : 822
    Join date : 2016-09-19
    Location : Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  ultimatewarrior 27/07/19, 03:27 am

    Rodion_Romanovic wrote:Sorry I missed something.  did they say that they will scrap those su 27s and mig 29?

    I can imagine a certain large middle Eastern nation that needs to replace their f14 and would probably be glad to buy refurbished sukhoi and migs, especially if coming with relatively modern radars, weapon systems and avionics.
    They could even pay in oil.

    Syria should be getting a large number of hand me down MiG-29. Iran only wants new build Su-30 / 35.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov


    Posts : 3009
    Points : 2991
    Join date : 2016-04-09

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  SeigSoloyvov 27/07/19, 06:35 am

    miketheterrible wrote:
    Isos wrote:Cheaper to make but more expensive to operate. Su-30/35/57 are newer and even if they share the same bases/producer that's operating 3 different sukhois and 4 with the su-34.  So if you add older su-27 that will be 5 sukhoi.

    If you want to upgrade the engines (so the avionics too), the radar (so all the computers too) better go with new engines because the only thing left to build is the airframe. On the long term it is cheaper to buy new jets.

    Tanks are different thing. Much easier to maintain than a jet and more easily maintained in good conditions since they are metal boxes.

    While that is true, they could at least cannibalize and keep them afloat.  I know operational and maintenance costs may be higher, but how much? dunno.

    Or best other option is sell them off and use the excess money to purchase more Su-30's and 35's.  Now I wonder how much they could sell those Sukhois? maybe offer upgrade packages with them?

    Depends on the numbers of jets, there is no reason to operate 27's.

    Money is always an issue. Russia doesn't have unlimited cash to throw around. why hold up funds for something pointless verse buying new jets with that money.

    Russia also has been trying to build up civilian infrastructure and invest, that's not cheap to do so they are putting whatever additional cash they get into it. So you can post economic growth data which could be debated, that stuff is never cut and dry but it doesn't mean much in the end.

    You don't improve living standards by spending more and more cash on the military.
    avatar
    nero


    Posts : 215
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2019-03-26

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  nero 28/07/19, 12:53 am

    miketheterrible wrote:They can afford it.  They just choose not to.
    Upgrades aren't as expensive, though there's little reason to do them, especially when the idea behind the Su-30/34/35/50 is to replace the older generation of planes.

    Additionally, just keeping the planes makes no sense if there's no one to use them. Learning how to fly a Sukhoi isn't easy nor cheap.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic


    Posts : 1593
    Points : 1577
    Join date : 2015-12-31
    Location : Merkelland

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic 28/07/19, 01:37 am

    ultimatewarrior wrote:
    Rodion_Romanovic wrote:Sorry I missed something.  did they say that they will scrap those su 27s and mig 29?

    I can imagine a certain large middle Eastern nation that needs to replace their f14 and would probably be glad to buy refurbished sukhoi and migs, especially if coming with relatively modern radars, weapon systems and avionics.
    They could even pay in oil.

    Syria should be getting a large number of hand me down MiG-29. Iran only wants new build Su-30 / 35.

    Syria cannot pay at the moment. Helping a bit is ok, but Russia is not the soviet union, that gave military equipment for free to poor countries for ideological reasons.

    as far as Iran, it depends, they did not acquire modern medium/large fighters for ages. Furthermore even India requested Russia for a set of mig-29 upgraded to the UPG standard (Indian equivalent to mig-29SMT, that are still very capable.

    Su-27SM2/SM3 have capabilities not very far from the latest Su-35, anyway, and since Iran needs basically to rebuild its air force, it would be convenient for them to try and save some money. If I were in them, I would buy upgraded mig-29 and organise joint production of mig-35.

    Isos
    Isos


    Posts : 9579
    Points : 9565
    Join date : 2015-11-07

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Isos 28/07/19, 04:41 am

    Hungary offered some years ago 19 mig-29A/UB with 20 engines and shitload of spare parts and missiles for only 10 millions $. Russia should have bought it for Syria with a little upgrade. Payment could have been forgoten but giving russian companies the rights to rebuild Syria.

    Iran could be also interested since they also operate mig-29. 19 for 10 million $ and russia could have sold its own SMT for 30 million each (and use the money for another batch of 50 su-35), that would be 70 mig-29 quickly bought and used as they already have the pilots. Then introduce the mig-35 to replace US made f-5.
    avatar
    marat


    Posts : 352
    Points : 348
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  marat 28/07/19, 12:14 pm

    Isos wrote:Hungary offered some years ago 19 mig-29A/UB with 20 engines and shitload of spare parts and missiles for only 10 millions $. Russia should have bought it for Syria with a little upgrade. Payment could have been forgoten but giving russian companies the rights to rebuild Syria.

    Iran could be also interested since they also operate mig-29. 19 for 10 million $ and russia could have sold its own SMT for 30 million each (and use the money for another batch of 50 su-35), that would be 70 mig-29 quickly bought and used as they already have the pilots. Then introduce the mig-35 to replace US made f-5.

    How Syria would pay rebuilding?
    Iran is under UN sanctions for whos introduction Russian voted.
    medo
    medo


    Posts : 4367
    Points : 4449
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  medo 28/07/19, 12:50 pm

    Isos wrote:Hungary offered some years ago 19 mig-29A/UB with 20 engines and shitload of spare parts and missiles for only 10 millions $. Russia should have bought it for Syria with a little upgrade. Payment could have been forgoten but giving russian companies the rights to rebuild Syria.

    Iran could be also interested since they also operate mig-29. 19 for 10 million $ and russia could have sold its own SMT for 30 million each (and use the money for another batch of 50 su-35), that would be 70 mig-29 quickly bought and used as they already have the pilots. Then introduce the mig-35 to replace US made f-5.

    Hungary is a NATO member, so it is politicaly impossible to sell those MiGs to Russia, not to say Iran. Only option would be, if they sell them to Serbia or maybe to Macedonia, Montenegro or to Poland for spare parts.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic


    Posts : 1593
    Points : 1577
    Join date : 2015-12-31
    Location : Merkelland

    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic 28/07/19, 03:52 pm

    marat wrote:
    Isos wrote:Hungary offered some years ago 19 mig-29A/UB with 20 engines and shitload of spare parts and missiles for only 10 millions $. Russia should have bought it for Syria with a little upgrade. Payment could have been forgoten but giving russian companies the rights to rebuild Syria.

    Iran could be also interested since they also operate mig-29. 19 for 10 million $ and russia could have sold its own SMT for 30 million each (and use the money for another batch of 50 su-35), that would be 70 mig-29 quickly bought and used as they already have the pilots. Then introduce the mig-35 to replace US made f-5.

    How Syria would pay rebuilding?
    Iran is under UN sanctions for whos introduction Russian voted.

    Iran arm embargo ends on 18 october 2020. Before that date any arm supply must be approved separately and in advance by the UN security council.

    https://www.sipri.org/databases/embargoes/un_arms_embargoes/iran


    Furthermore, all states are allowed to participate in the supply of major conventional arms as defined by the UN Register of Conventional Weapons and related components and services to Iran provided that the Security Council decides in advance on a case-by-case basis to approve such supplies. This provision will be lifted five years after the JCPOA Adoption Day, i.e. on 18 october 2020. The embargo on the export from Iran of all arms and related materials will remain in place until 5 years after the JCPOA Adoption Day. Different from other UN embargoes where arms can be supplied to governments if advance approval has been received from the relevant Sanction Committee, for the sanctions on Iran it is the Security Council that has to give approval.
    Since for sure US and Britain will vote against any supply from Russia to Iran before the end of the embargo, Russia and Iran could discuss informally and without any public announcement the supply beforehand, and sign the contracts and start the deliveries at the same time on the 18 October 2020.

    Sponsored content


    Su-35S: News - Page 29 Empty Re: Su-35S: News

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is 03/07/22, 09:54 am