Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+49
Boreas
KomissarBojanchev
Karl Haushofer
par far
higurashihougi
Flagship Victory
eehnie
zg18
Khepesh
JohninMK
Dforce
TheArmenian
Mike E
kvs
victor1985
Ruthenius
Austin
Ispan
Glyph
PapaDragon
Godric
Ghoster
medo
Regular
Big_Gazza
Project Canada
BKP
magnumcromagnon
Werewolf
SturmGuard
sepheronx
The Mule
gregoire
2SPOOKY4U
OminousSpudd
whir
flamming_python
Walther von Oldenburg
Vann7
ExBeobachter1987
kap-the-head
KoTeMoRe
Rodinazombie
auslander
sektor
Cowboy's daughter
Neutrality
franco
Chersonesus
53 posters

The Situation in the Ukraine. #20

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

The Situation in the Ukraine. #20 - Page 27 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #20

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:29 pm

The Situation in the Ukraine. #20 - Page 27 CNMJlQVWoAEaT2iThe Situation in the Ukraine. #20 - Page 27 CNMJkoXWEAALPXy
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

The Situation in the Ukraine. #20 - Page 27 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #20

Post  sepheronx Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 pm

@Ghister and Karl

I rest my case. If it wasnt given for free, it wasnt free. Thanks for proving my point. No matter how much you try to divert the conversation about christian this or thay, you were proven wrong.
    Thanks.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:44 pm

sepheronx wrote:@Ghister and Karl

I rest my case. If it wasnt given for free, it wasnt free. Thanks for proving my point. No matter how much you try to divert the conversation about christian this or thay, you were proven wrong.
    Thanks.

Russia sold coal to Ukraine with Russian domestic prices. I would guess that Ukraine was the only country given this privilege?
    Ghoster
    Ghoster

Post  Ghoster Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Karl, ill ask the same to you as I did to your other account - provide proof Russia gave resources for free. And not some google image like you did on the other thread.
    How do you think Kiev will be able to pay for gas and coal if it has no money? While Russia hasn't provided any free coal yet, it supplied it at domestic prices last winter, without any advance prepayment.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/27/uk-ukraine-crisis-russia-coal-idUKKBN0K508D20141227
    Russia will supply coal and electricity to Kiev without advance payment as a goodwill gesture from President Vladimir Putin, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov told TASS news agency.

"Putin made a decision to start these supplies due to the critical situation with energy supplies and despite a lack of prepayment," Peskov said.
    Supplies will come at Russian domestic prices, Kozak said, adding that he hoped the move would help ensure reliable energy supplies to Crimea.

On another note, DPR right now does supply coal at around 300,000-400,000 tons per month. It delivered the most coal during July, when Ukrainian army was shelling civilian areas the worst since the beginning of "ceasefire". Why is this coal being sold to Ukraine in the first place, I'm not even sure anymore.

How does Ukraine pay for it is the real question (if they are even paying for it).

Thank you for this. You answered the question better than I could.

Delivering Kiev with gas and coal without pre-payment is an equivalent for giving it for them for free.
    It seems to be part of Russia's foreign policy right now, unfortunately. I've read somewhere that Ukraine may soon receive gas from Gazprom without any prepayment too. Ukraine is so broke right now, that they've even asked Gazprom to make advance payments for its gas transit.

It would be a perfect time to apply economic pressure on Kiev, but it won't happen.
    SturmGuard

Post  SturmGuard Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Some interesting recent videos to break up the pointless geopolitical/economical "discussion"

I am not buying the recent UkrOp reports. Seems to me they are playing the "seps are on the offensive, we suffer daily while we abide the ceasefire" for domestic and foreign audience.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Khepesh wrote:It's a little curious that ukrops are admitting losses on sektor "M" in comparatively large numbers. Aleksandr Karas, Assault company commander of 5th Pravy Sektor battalion admits 21 dead and many wounded yesterday at Starognatovka. And Yaroslav Chepurnoi, sektor "M" press officer, reported "heavy losses" yesterday but did not mention a specific figure. He also said "We have very serious losses which will be reported later" and further said that the style of firing coming from the "militants" was like "Professional Russian Army". "Donbass" also reported they had five dead yesterday by Mariupol. Of course none of these reports mention that the casualties are all the result of failed ukrops attacks in defiance of Minsk.

Part of this info comes from this ukrops source, which attempts to throw up a smokescreen over reality.... http://joinfo.ua/incidents/1115763_Ekstrennie-novosti-rezultate-artudara-VS-RF.html

Little bit*hes crying wolf as usual. Real numbers are likely higher, again, as usual.

They desperately want to attack but they know they will get mauled. No win situation and they know it. Twisted Evil

Dear me, dear me... lol1

In the meantime, tick-tock, tick-tock, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.... santa affraid
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:

Thanks.
    You are exfremely annoying. You said free, you were wrong. Go away please.

Russia sold coal to Ukraine with Russian domestic prices. I would guess that Ukraine was the only country given this privilege?
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:00 pm

sepheronx, he is only trolling You. Stop wasting Your time answering him, he will wind You up.

My take is that it's better to sell them and earn a ruble or two than not to. Plus it makes Ukrainian "independancy" from Russia even more pathetic. Remember when Ukrainian gov. said they stopped buying Russian coal?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:12 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

Thanks.

He still has a point about the lack of prepayment and the domestic prices.

The only thing I would give to the Kiev government without requiring prepayment and at domestic prices - is the sole of my left boot.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:16 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:

Thanks.

He still has a point about the lack of prepayment and the domestic prices.

The only thing I would give to the Kiev government without requiring prepayment and at domestic prices - is the sole of my left boot.

In these discussions we need to bear in mind the inter-dependability of the two countries that still exists, whilst Kiev in particular tries to ignore it. Certainly it looks like neither side is cutting off their nose to spite their face. Just a couple of examples, Russia wants electricity for Crimea and helicopter engines, whilst Ukraine wants Russian gas/oil/coal/electricity.

As to paying for it, no-one should be saying that Kiev has no money because they have lots of it. Its just that they are spending it on things we don't generally agree with on here and, in the great scheme of things, they don't have enough of it. But to say that they are not paying Russia for energy products i.e. are getting them free, is a huge and almost certainly incorrect assumption. As to price, I would say that the Russian negotiators are taking a view on how much cash Kiev has available and then going for the maximum they think they can realistically get. At the moment some money is better than none, especially when the marginal cost of supply could be quite low, whilst that money needs to flow in both directions to keep the necessities flowing.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Ghoster wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Karl, ill ask the same to you as I did to your other account - provide proof Russia gave resources for free. And not some google image like you did on the other thread.
    How do you think Kiev will be able to pay for gas and coal if it has no money? While Russia hasn't provided any free coal yet, it supplied it at domestic prices last winter, without any advance prepayment.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/27/uk-ukraine-crisis-russia-coal-idUKKBN0K508D20141227
    Russia will supply coal and electricity to Kiev without advance payment as a goodwill gesture from President Vladimir Putin, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov told TASS news agency.

"Putin made a decision to start these supplies due to the critical situation with energy supplies and despite a lack of prepayment," Peskov said.
    Supplies will come at Russian domestic prices, Kozak said, adding that he hoped the move would help ensure reliable energy supplies to Crimea.

On another note, DPR right now does supply coal at around 300,000-400,000 tons per month. It delivered the most coal during July, when Ukrainian army was shelling civilian areas the worst since the beginning of "ceasefire". Why is this coal being sold to Ukraine in the first place, I'm not even sure anymore.

How does Ukraine pay for it is the real question (if they are even paying for it).

Thank you for this. You answered the question better than I could.

Delivering Kiev with gas and coal without pre-payment is an equivalent for giving it for them for free.
    It seems to be part of Russia's foreign policy right now, unfortunately. I've read somewhere that Ukraine may soon receive gas from Gazprom without any prepayment too. Ukraine is so broke right now, that they've even asked Gazprom to make advance payments for its gas transit.

It would be a perfect time to apply economic pressure on Kiev, but it won't happen.

How much leverage does Ukraine have over Russia for the gas transit to Europe? Could Ukraine blackmail Russia to these concessions by threatening to cut off the gas supply to Europe or is Russia really doing all this out of good heart and as a gesture of goodwill?

It is sometimes very hard to understand Russia. Put any Western country into a similar position and none of them would be showing these gestures of goodwill towards a country that openly hates you and would love to annihilate you.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Ghoster wrote:

Here is the answer, why Russia supply coal and gas last year to Ukraine for low price even without payment in advance, that Ukraine supply energy to Crimea, who doesn't have enough domestic sources. This winter the picture will be different. After modernization of existing power plants + building some new solar power plants and energy bridge with Russian mainland, Crimea will be energetically self sufficient and will not need anything from Ukraine. They have their own water sources, their own energy and food supplies, etc. As Crimea is no more a hostage of Kiev junta, Russia could simply say no or you have to pay in advance for such a price.

Kiev junta will be forced to start an offensive on Novorussia to get to the Novorussian coal or there will be no electricity and hot water supplies as they will not have coal and gas in winter. Kiev could not wait for October for offensive, they have to start now, or they will be freezing. October will be to late, winter practically start in that time.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Nothing to do with traffic, perhaps more to do with watching out for the mobs coming to get them when it all goes pear shaped.

KYIV, August 27 /Ukrinform/. Police will install 1,000 cameras to record traffic violations in the capital city of Kiev.

Deputy head of the traffic patrol in Kyiv. Dmytro Yevdokimov told reporters at a briefing on Thursday, a Ukrinform correspondent reports.

"Up to one thousand cameras will be installed on the most troubled and busy roads of the capital," he said.
    Karl Haushofer

Post  Karl Haushofer Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:45 pm

medo wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:

Here is the answer, why Russia supply coal and gas last year to Ukraine for low price even without payment in advance, that Ukraine supply energy to Crimea, who doesn't have enough domestic sources. This winter the picture will be different. After modernization of existing power plants + building some new solar power plants and energy bridge with Russian mainland, Crimea will be energetically self sufficient and will not need anything from Ukraine. They have their own water sources, their own energy and food supplies, etc. As Crimea is no more a hostage of Kiev junta, Russia could simply say no or you have to pay in advance for such a price.

Kiev junta will be forced to start an offensive on Novorussia to get to the Novorussian coal or there will be no electricity and hot water supplies as they will not have coal and gas in winter. Kiev could not wait for October for offensive, they have to start now, or they will be freezing. October will be to late, winter practically start in that time.

Good to hear about increasing self-sustainability of Crimea. But how about the gas transit via Ukraine?
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Karl Haushofer wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:

Good to hear about increasing self-sustainability of Crimea. But how about the gas transit via Ukraine?

When gas leave Russian territory, it is EU gas and EU problem. Russia send as much gas as EU pay. This is why EU was paying for Ukrainian gas.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:10 pm

medo wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:

When gas leave Russian territory, it is EU gas and EU problem. Russia send as much gas as EU pay. This is why EU was paying for Ukrainian gas.
    Don't think that is correct. When it crosses into Ukraine some is Ukrainian (that which it has paid for) and the rest is for EU countries, as per their contracts with Gazprom, not the EU as an organisation. The EU does not pay directly for any gas but is able to negotiate.
    Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:16 pm

par far wrote:

This is very true, people don't get this, they just keep waiting for the Ukrainian economy to collapse, which will never happen.  
    It already has happened, months ago when Kiev stopped paying for common things they use to, like pensions, miners, gas. What they are waiting for is the Ukrainians to realize, rise up and kick out the junta.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:28 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:

Don't think that is correct. When it crosses into Ukraine some is Ukrainian (that which it has paid for) and the rest is for EU countries, as per their contracts with Gazprom, not the EU as an organisation. The EU does not pay directly for any gas but is able to negotiate.

However you look, last winter EU pay for Ukrainian gas. Be it they pay instead of Ukraine, or they pay the gas Ukraine was stolen from the pipeline. What actually matter is, that those nuts in Kiev, who think they got it from Russia for free, will sooner or later have to pay for the gas to EU together with interests, so it will be quite expensive for Kiev.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:59 pm

medo wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Karl Haushofer wrote:
    medo wrote:
    Ghoster wrote:

However you look, last winter EU pay for Ukrainian gas. Be it they pay instead of Ukraine, or they pay the gas Ukraine was stolen from the pipeline. What actually matter is, that those nuts in Kiev, who think they got it from Russia for free, will sooner or later have to pay for the gas to EU together with interests, so it will be quite expensive for Kiev.
    Sorry but again that is not correct. The EU paid no money to Russia for gas, full stop. Countries within the EU paid Russia for the gas they were contracted for. A country outside the EU, Ukraine, may have paid Russia (and reverse flow countries) for some of the gas it used from money, grants and loans, that it received from organisations like the EU/IMF etc but we don't know. I am not sure that anyone in Kiev thinks that it gets Russian gas for free any more, certainly when Russia turned the tap when an advance payment was late and AFAIK no gas was 'stolen' from the pipelines last winter, the Russians only input what was contracted for. Yes, one day the loans will have to be repaid and yes, it will be painful.
    Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:03 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    Sorry but again that is not correct. The EU paid no money to Russia for gas, full stop. Countries within the EU paid Russia for the gas they were contracted for. A country outside the EU, Ukraine, may have paid Russia (and reverse flow countries) for some of the gas it used from money, grants and loans, that it received from organisations like the EU/IMF etc but we don't know. I am not sure that anyone in Kiev thinks that it gets Russian gas for free any more, certainly when Russia turned the tap when an advance payment was late and AFAIK no gas was 'stolen' from the pipelines last winter, the Russians only input what was contracted for. Yes, one day the loans will have to be repaid and yes, it will be painful.
    Putin said the pipes can't reverse flow, the pumping stations were not designed that way. So Ukraine would have to be stealing gas which was destined for the EU, unless they have modified the pumping stations. There was a separate pipeline from the EU via Slovakia which they called "reverse flow"

http://www.dw.com/en/slovakia-opens-reverse-flow-pipeline-to-carry-gas-to-ukraine/a-17895333
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Erk wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:
    Putin said the pipes can't reverse flow, the pumping stations were not designed that way. So Ukraine would have to be stealing gas which was destined for the EU, unless they have modified the pumping stations. There was a separate pipeline from the EU via Slovakia which they called "reverse flow"

http://www.dw.com/en/slovakia-opens-reverse-flow-pipeline-to-carry-gas-to-ukraine/a-17895333
    The gas flowed through Ukraine to the Gazprom contracted customer. That customer then pumped it back into Ukraine, as you say by a different pipe and Ukraine paid for it.

What upset the Russians was that the 'end user' contract didn't allow the gas to be sold on. But then they didn't push the point. Either way the Russians got paid, the just lost a slight lever over Ukraine.

Vann7

Post  Vann7 Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:55 pm

how it will be if Russian army really invaded Ukraine..

If you believe the social network users blogging on the latest ATO news, another part of the Russian army near Lugansk has been destroyed, as confirmed by reports intercepted from the Russian army.©

This calls for some military cultural background. The Russian army uses digital radio with the local encryption. Intercept it, maybe; decipher it, no. The code changes on an arbitrary and unpredictable schedule: every 50 minutes, hour, hour and twenty-two... . Ukrainian military, and "separatists," use the old analog format, which you can hear. But with the Russian army right now all you hear is a crackle and a characteristic murmur.

In contrast, if it's the Russian Army that's dealing with the APU, you will know it.

The first symptom: stoppage of all means of communication, with complete draining of the batteries in cars, trucks, tanks, and also in cell phones, and transmitters. Broken circuits in any and all electrical devices. This is EMR, Extraordinary Magnetic Resistance. All the engines will quit running, with no way of restarting them. That's what the "Hingan" system does, with a radius of 20 kilometers.

The second symptom: complete failure of all systems using LCDs, and the failure of all aiming devices and air defense systems - radars are dead. This is the "Altair" system.

Third symptom: guided weapons - from MANPADS to ATGM -- won't work. Worse, they will explode if you try ... This is the "Mercury" system, mobile because based on multi-purpose tracked vehicles featuring very tall antennas. Now every Russian battalion is equipped with it. Effective range: 15 kilometers.

Fourth symptom. Your drones either drop or boomerang: They either fall with the failure of guidance and motor, or they get commandeered by the Russian forces. The system "Krasuha-4" disables the onboard equipment of aircraft and any other flying equipment. The system of "Carpool" intercepts the control of pilotless flyers. The Russians gave it to the Iranians, and the Iranians used it to drop the top secret US Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel, better known as the "Kandahar beast."**

The fifth symptom there will be no time to see or understand: phenomenally precise artillery fire from well beyond the range of Ukrainian artillery. Fire stations and guidance of the Russian army work through satellites and their associated drones. Russian modernized missiles now have homing-on systems as well as being more explosive and having longer range.

Ukraine does not have its own satellites. Only two communications satellites. Operational artillery correction is not possible with the American satellites.
    Dozens (hundreds, if it comes to that) of new combat helicopters controlling every highway will hunt down armored vehicles, trains, cars. Rail traffic will be paralyzed, firepower stopped, bridges blown. And at the rear, the lights go out - broken substations. Simultaneously civilian and military headquarters in the rear and their individual rulers will be liquidated by pre- embedded groups.

And then ... from out of the sky: silk. Airborne Division and the GRU (Special Service Division).

http://fortruss.blogspot.ca/2015/08/suppose-for-minute-that-our-army-is.html

On another note.. if i were to bet..Knowing how much The US pentagon hates Russia , The Ukrainians have to be helped/supplied with nothing less than the best ,that Ameircan have ,Patriot missiles smuggled secretly in Ukraine or Aegis like defenses and or Israeli Iron Dome ,withing firing range of DOnetsk and Lugansk.. Means to get rid of them Russia will need to go deep inside Ukraine territory.. to shut down the Ukraine air defenses. Last i saw Americans were testing 400km range air defenses..  so their desperation into make it expensive any fight with Ukraine will no doubt make Americans to use everything they have.. This war , that the American Government is  provoking between Ukraine and RUssia ,provides an once in a life time opportunity for Americans to test their military hardware against Russia Airforce.. while keeping in secret their help to Ukrainians in the conflict and their air defenses being deployed there.  
    And if their Air defenses Fail ,they can keep it secretly and avoid the humiliation in case their defense defeated.  

All said ,i will not be surprised Ukraine have deployed already the best military hardware US and Israel have.. but also some hardware from Norther European nations that are Russophobic ,when it comes to air defenses and counter electronics too.. There could be also Rail Guns too.. The last news reveal last night Ukraine began a massive shelling of Donetsk and Lugansk after Poroshenko the pig ,claimed to support minsk-2.

So make no mistake , any Russian Airforce incursion in Ukraine Airspace will have to deal with the best military hardware that US and Israel have.  IT will force Russia to use their best secret
    technology too.. which is really unfortunate ,because such things are better to keep it for a real direct war against US and NATO.. that their nation is at war with them.

I think it will be better if Russia supply Attack drones to Donetsk and Lugansk ,being operated by Russian specialist.. that way no risk of being seen as "Invading Ukraine".. something they could use as excuse to not implement Minsk-2 before the dateline expire.

Last edited by Vann7 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total
    Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:10 am

Vann7 wrote:

More info on the Russian electronic warfare technology can be found in this artlicle.

http://in.rbth.com/economics/2015/02/16/blind_and_conquer_top_5_russian_radio_electronic_warfare_systems_41393.html
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:37 am

Erk wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

More info on the Russian electronic warfare technology can be found in this artlicle.

http://in.rbth.com/economics/2015/02/16/blind_and_conquer_top_5_russian_radio_electronic_warfare_systems_41393.html

Ironically they left out one of the most powerful ECM systems...'Murmansk-BN' which has ECM attack range of 5,000 km, and can cover an area with a 10,000 km diameter.

https://www.russiadefence.net/t2461p120-russian-ecm-ew-equipment
    Erk
    Erk

Post  Erk Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:42 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:

Ironically they left out one of the most powerful ECM systems...'Murmansk-BN' which has ECM attack range of 5,000 km, and can cover an area with a 10,000 km diameter.

https://www.russiadefence.net/t2461p120-russian-ecm-ew-equipment

Yeah, rbth.com stories can often be a bit strange like that.

Doesn't the Murmansk-BN mainly deal with shortwave? To get a 5,000km range without being in orbit, it's going to rely on ionospheric skip which doesn't happen on very high frequencies, they tend to punch straight though into space, you can get some tropospheric scatter on VHF. Most command will be microwave beams from satellites.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm