Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29382
    Points : 29910
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  GarryB Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:41 am

    I've been saying this for about 6 months that the likeliness that both rifles will be accepted in to service are great...I'm starting to look like a profit now lol! People who like to whine that the AEK may have not 'won' the competition, don't seem to realize that a great rifle will still find it's way in to service.

    The purpose of the tests was to see if they measured up... both makers know what they are doing so there was every likelyhood both would pass even if minor changes might be needed.

    Now, a question. What would spec ops choose ? Allegedly more accurate AEK ? Or better-understood AK12

    Well that is the problem... they would be in the best position to get the best from an accurate rifle, so plus one for the AEK assuming it is the more accurate of the two, but having a modular multi calibre rifle designed with special forces in mind is a plus for the AK12SN. AFAIK the AK12SN is a family of weapons from SMG to LMG including assault rifle, carbine, and of course DMR type weapon and likely combat shotgun and perhaps even light grenade launcher.

    So it is one all for special forces, but ease of manufacture and use also goes to the Ak12, and even if slightly more complicated the fact that you can have a base rifle and barrels for different versions and calibres means although more expensive for a single rifle, it will be cheaper to have a range of weapon components than to have a range of different weapons with different optics.

    that robot scope allowing different bullet types and different calibres could be zeroed in for the different calibres and barrel lengths for easy transition in the field...

    [quote]Because it's still in the running. The AEK is a one trick pony, if it wasn't a better performer than the basic AK-12 assault rifle variant, it would have been eliminated.[/quote[]

    This isn't a test to find the best weapon... it is a test to ensure each weapon is up to scratch to be used in the Russian military... it is not a one wins all thing.

    The VDV and naval infantry have already selected the ADS as a rifle for underwater use to replace the APS... will they consider the AEK and AK12 or just adopt the ADS in full scale deployment...


    And for some reason it vanished on the newer variants.

    Perhaps because it was deemed not necessary?

    Perhaps they will demand new scopes are in line with iron sights so no raised cheek position will be needed?

    This isn't a target shooting rifle, it's a service rifle. Some man or women has to carry it around all day. Handling and weight are important considerations.

    Very true and some users might prefer a bit of weight further forward...

    Excellent news. It'll be interesting to see who adopts each rifle.

    Both systems working with Ratnik is a good thing... previous information on RATNIK showed the AK-74M and the AN-94 and the AK-107. Hopefully this result will eliminate these three rifles from the running/distraction, and both companies can focus on two service weapon families.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 4471
    Points : 4555
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  flamming_python Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:13 am

    If AK-12s and AEK-971s are used in different service branches or types of units, as they're hinted to soon be in the press release; then honestly I don't see the problem. Although part of me wonders if the AK-12 is really necessary in such a solution given the continued abundance of AK-74s, as well as some AK-74Ms here and there, and the capacity for unit workshops to modernize these rifles to a considerable degree.

    I'm not worried too much about logistics either. The situation is already rather mixed already.
    When I was in service in 2010-2011 our unit had an old 'kit' of equipment; a mix of stuff from the 70s and 80s AK-74s (mostly the plum-black versions but a few of the earlier ones), 1 RPK-74, bayonets, SSh-60/68 helmets, R-159 radios, some headsets I don't know the designation of, cheap civilian walkie-talkies, gasmasks & chemical suits both from the 70s & 80s, flare-sticks, and some body armor from the Afghan war era that were never actually issued because they were falling apart and scheduled for withdrawal. I think that's about the best we could have come up with in terms of a 'kit' to be honest. And some of this stuff there was only enough to fit 1 squad with; never mind the platoon+ worth of conscripts we had, plus contract servicemen, officers and so on. Good news though is that my squad would have had priority for all of it.
    I imagine that if it was a step-up; say Marines in charge of guarding military convoys, guard companies of nuclear missile silos or communications facilities, anywhere where something is guarded basically; and in some motor-rifle divisions and so on too - they'd have more equipment from the 90s; AK-74Ms, PKMs, SVDs, some heavier weapons, Sfera helmets, newer chemical suits, 6B5 or 6B13 body armor, none of those cheap Chinese walkie-talkies our base bought out of its own pocket.
    And then when you get to the VDV, most of the Marines, and other shiny units; by now they'd have the Ratnik or something like it; 6B43 body armor, those collar radio-sets, will probably get either the AK-12s or AEK-971s soon, Pecheng machine guns, the latest RPGs, etc..

    So the test-introduction of 2 new assualt rifles as opposed to just 1 won't help matters of course, but it's hardly significant compared to all this mess anyway.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16215
    Points : 16712
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  George1 Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:07 am

    AK-12 won the competition for Ratnik equipment
    avatar
    Austin

    Posts : 7618
    Points : 8015
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Austin Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm

    JANES: Russia selects new assault rifles

    Does this means A-545 and A-762 wont get selected any longer and looses to AK-12 and AK-103-4 ?
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29382
    Points : 29910
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  GarryB Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 am

    Ratnik is an army programme... and just because new states that AK12 has passed it does not mean the other rifles didn't pass too.

    I suspect the other rifles will be considered by the other branches and special forces units within all sorts of para military forces within Russia... ie MVD, FSB, border patrol, police, etc
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Question about Assault Riffles vs bulletproof

    Post  nemrod Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:20 pm

    I imagine if most of the modern armies wear bulletproofs is for a reason.
    Then what is the effectiveness of assault rifles against bulletproofs vest, or body armor ? I heard that AK-47, AK-M, M-16, AK-74 are completly innefective against Bulletproof vest. Is it true ? Furthermore, during US occupation in Iraq, GI's and Marines used Bulletproof vest, and it seems there were very effectives against iraqis insurgents. Israelis soldiers used Bulletproof vest too, palestinians used special caliber against them, if not machine gun. The best proof showing the total ineffectivess of AK-47, was during the french assault police, it shows you that Kalashnikov seems to be outclassed weapon, as most of the modern assault riffles.
    Here is examples of effectiveness of bullletproof vests against any 7.62 mm caliber.
    http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/bulletproof_vests.htm

    Is it the end of the assault riffle in the world armies ? What will be the next step ?
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

    Posts : 4471
    Points : 4555
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  flamming_python Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:56 pm

    There are various classes of body armour.
    They are catagorized by protection-level but can also be thought of in terms of the coverage they provide too.

    Basically, only the heaviest classes protect from assault-rifle rounds such as the 5.56 and 5.45. Even then, only from further away than a given range - I don't believe any body armour will protect you from even a 5.45 AP round fired at you straight-on at closer than 50m. If it's a 7.62 round, they may still penetrate even from further away.
    If it's a 7.62x51 AP round fired from the SVD, you can forget about it unless it was fired at long-range. Same for the 12.7mm/.50 cal rounds. In fact the later will probably break a rib even if it doesn't penetrate.
    BTW the only area where you'd be guaranteed this level of protection is the torso. Sometimes they extend down to the groin and up to the collar. Get hit in a leg artery or the head though; and you're fudged - don't think any helmet can protect against assault rifle rounds.

    SWAT teams and SF/police counter-terrorism operatives get to use some really heavy, and very-good coverage armour that would protect not only against submachine-guns at point-blank ranges but also grenades, explosions and the like. However they are impractical for military use, and even then, I don't think they would withstand an AK-burst at point-blank range anyway.

    I'm talking about current in-service stuff. About the newest innovations I have no idea.
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  nemrod Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:55 pm

    flamming_python wrote:
    There are various classes of body armour.....
    I talked about armor level type IV, those equiped Israelis infantery.
    Those against bullets at a velocity of 878 m/s ± 9.1 m/s.


    flamming_python wrote:
    SWAT teams and SF/police counter-terrorism operatives get to use some really heavy, and very-good coverage armour that would protect not only against submachine-guns at point-blank ranges but also grenades, explosions and the like. However they are impractical for military use, and even then, I don't think they would withstand an AK-burst at point-blank range anyway.
    This is why the old KPV heavy machine gun was used in Gaza by palestinians.
    Did they inflict severe casualities to israelis ? I don't know, nevertheless, a thing is sure, Israel sent its armored vehicles in Gaza, behind their Merkava. It seems neither Merkava, or other amored vehicles were in better situation than israelis infantery. Hence Israel gave up any ground offensive against Gaza, as it gave up any retaliations against Hizbollah.
    Do you think a machine gun is enough against this kind of body armor ? Do you think it is the end assault riffle ?
    If a machine gun is enough what would be the caliber minumum ? 12.7 mm ? 14.5 mm ? 16.5 mm ? And what would be the configuration of the ground infantery if the assault riffle is useless ?
    Again, I talked about Bulletproof vest -Type IV body armor- Type IV (Armor Piercing Rifle), protects against 10.8 g (166 gr) .30-06 Springfield M2 armor-piercing (AP) bullets at a velocity of 878 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (2880 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). I think, tomorow it would be the standard of protection.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29382
    Points : 29910
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  GarryB Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:50 am

    First of all let me say that most protective vests are indeed designed to stop shrapnel. Most can also therefore stop a pistol calibre bullet but it is fairly rare for soldiers to get shot on a modern battlefield by hand guns... you are more likely to be on the receiving end of pistol bullets from police or special forces with SMGs.

    the biggest killer in war is shrapnel from explosives and that remains true today.

    Protective vests are generally called flak jackets for that reason and that is their primary use.

    The vast majority of the people who could have been hit and injured but weren't was because their flak vest stopped the dangerous item, so wearing even just a low level protection jacket can massively reduce casualties... just as a helmet can also save a lot of lives even though none will stop a rifle calibre bullet.

    Then what is the effectiveness of assault rifles against bulletproofs vest, or body armor ? I heard that AK-47, AK-M, M-16, AK-74 are completly innefective against Bulletproof vest. Is it true ?

    A vest will only protect what it covers... it wont stop a bullet to the thigh or hip or to the face. It will also only offer a certain level of protection... even the heaviest armour will not necessarily save you.

    Most so called bullet proof vests have hard plate inserts for the chest area, but if you are pointing a rifle at the target they could easily hit you in your chest cavity by aiming for the area under your arm which is not protected.

    there are armour piercing ammo rounds that will penetrate all sorts of barriers and there are a range of vests from stuff that will stop bomb fragments right up to stopping 338 Lapua Magnum rounds from 100m. the former is more common because it is lighter and cheaper... no point in wearing super heavy armour if it means you are a much slower target that is easier to hit.

    I talked about armor level type IV, those equiped Israelis infantery.
    Those against bullets at a velocity of 878 m/s ± 9.1 m/s.

    First of all such ratings are generally only for the area of the internal hard chest plate, and for a very specific projectile mass... I very much doubt they will stop a 1,100 grain 12.7mm round at that speed.

    And even if they did the impact force would likely kill the soldier anyway... remember a 50kg IED could kill Abrams tanks even though it didn't penetrate the armour.

    Do you think a machine gun is enough against this kind of body armor ? Do you think it is the end assault riffle ?
    If a machine gun is enough what would be the caliber minumum ? 12.7 mm ? 14.5 mm ? 16.5 mm ? And what would be the configuration of the ground infantery if the assault riffle is useless ?

    Such body armour is expensive and not widely deployed by most countries.

    Ironically despite these being called flak jackets exploding ammo will still be effective against exposed areas... arms, legs, head.

    I remember reading that experience in Afghanistan has shown a lot more amputee casualties because soldiers tended to have a better chance of survival while their protective vests tended to reduce injuries from small fragments.

    When the enemy is known to be equipped with heavy body armour you issue Armour Piercing ammo and try to use HE rockets and HE grenades more often... and aim for the legs and head.
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  nemrod Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:47 pm

    GarryB wrote:....there are armour piercing ammo rounds that will penetrate all sorts of barriers and there are a range of vests from stuff
    In fact I mean for example this video

    Where as you can see your assault riffle, and one of the best in the world is merely useless, .

    GarryB wrote:
    A vest will only protect what it covers... it wont stop a bullet to the thigh or hip or to the face. It will also only offer a certain level of protection... even the heaviest armour will not necessarily save you.
    In next future the bulletproof vest will protect all the body. It is only a matter of time.

    If I talked about armor level type IV, that protected nowadays against bullets at a velocity of 878 m/s ± 9.1 m/s. Once it will be the standard in the battlefield what will be the solution ? When I saw Russia welcomed the new assault riffle AK-12, and we know that AK-12 will be useless, as AK-47.
    Does each soldier have minigun at least 12.7 mm caliber ?
    This is the question.

    Moreover, I need your help.
    See this other video


    My english is not excellent. Does the Browing effective against the Humvee ?

    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29382
    Points : 29910
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  GarryB Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:00 am

    In fact I mean for example this video

    You are not paying attention.

    Even a top level bullet proof vest is not bullet proof all over. It will have what are called trauma plates over the chest that are made of ceramic or metal that actually stop rifle bullets... a bullet in the gut will penetrate even the heaviest body armour.

    This video shows a civilian firing an AK at bullet proof glass... that glass is not a bullet proof vest... if it was it would weigh 200kgs and would not be wearable.

    Civilians in the US are not allowed to have armour piercing ammo so that rifle likely either had plain ball ammo or perhaps even soft nose hunting ammo.

    In next future the bulletproof vest will protect all the body. It is only a matter of time.

    It is a cycle... when better body armour is introduced better armour piercing ammo will be introduced.

    they are not going to bother making ammo that will penetrate a 6 metre steel plate now when body armour is more comparable to 6mm armour plate.

    Does each soldier have minigun at least 12.7 mm caliber ?
    This is the question.

    The HEAT version of the 30mm auto grenade launcher has an armour defeat capability of 50mm or so... I doubt any body armour will stop this any time soon.

    My english is not excellent. Does the Browing effective against the Humvee ?

    The bullets went straight through the door... the people inside would have been killed if the enemy had fired 50 cal or 12.7mm cal MG at it.

    Note this was an old door so in actual fact it was not armoured. The early Humvees were not armoured though the people who used them thought they were. the Humvee was a big slow jeep.

    When they found it was not armoured they added armour which made it even slower. but they could not armour it to a level where it would stop 50 cal rounds.
    runaway
    runaway

    Posts : 404
    Points : 419
    Join date : 2010-11-12
    Location : Sweden

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  runaway Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 pm

    I used to have an ceramic plate in my flakjacket, it could stop 7,62x51 AP multiple hits from 5m. Wheigt of flackjacket with plate was 14kg, without plate 6kg.
    It depends of duty, if guarding a gate yes a plate is used, in advancing on foot with infantry, no way.

    And as Gary said, it only covers torso-chest.
    The idea of making a overall in kevlar is great, but the cost would make it only used by special forces, swat police teams. And as protection advances so does the ammunition.
    There is a subcaliber 7,62x51 whick can punch through diplomat cars, and this round is so classified we werent allowed to use it or handle it. They dont want any of them stray away..
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  nemrod Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:59 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    It is a cycle... when better body armour is introduced better armour piercing ammo will be introduced.
    Indeed, I agree with you.

    GarryB wrote:
    The bullets went straight through the door... the people inside would have been killed if the enemy had fired 50 cal or 12.7mm cal MG at it.
    In fact the Browning or DHSK are able to penetrate all Humvees, and all Bulletproof vests including those belong to special forces ?
    Here is a video showing the efficiency of bulletproof.



    But, but, but,...........here is another video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4GWuOiH0Ks

    As my english is not perfect, could you summurize me what he said. I think it exists nowdays russian amno 7.62 mm that are able to penetrate bulletsproofs vests, including those possesses by special forces. Did I understand correctly ? If yes, what are those amno ? Are they availlable in the new AK-12 ?

    runaway wrote:
    And as protection advances so does the ammunition.
    Indeed.
    But, If it exists amnutions able to perfore body armors, including the most sophisticated bulletproofs -swats' body armors- vests, it would be interresting to know what are they ? In fact my straight-forward question could the new AK-12 perfore all bulletproofs ?


    runaway wrote:
    The idea of making a overall in kevlar is great, but the cost would make it only used by special forces, swat police teams.
    Yes, but I think the special forces's and SWAT's bulletproofs composition are obviously classified, nevertheless, Iam sure Russia has the solution.


    I have another request to admin, or moderator, in fact I initiate this topic in the goal of a complements to AK-12's topic, if you are agree, could you move it this subject, in the AK-12's topic. Because the purpose of this topic is to discuss about the opportunity of AK-12 against the bulletsproofs vests.

    George1
    George1

    Posts : 16215
    Points : 16712
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  George1 Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:48 pm

    Commercial production of Russia's new AK-12 and A-545 assault rifles to start in February
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29382
    Points : 29910
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  GarryB Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 am

    Here is a video showing the efficiency of bulletproof.

    Just look at the image of the video in the video still... it clearly says 7.62 x 54mm Steel Core.

    Russian 7.62 x 54mm standard ball round is a steel core round... this is not special armour piercing ammo... this is ball ammo commonly used in PKM and SVD weapons.

    As my english is not perfect, could you summurize me what he said. I think it exists nowdays russian amno 7.62 mm that are able to penetrate bulletsproofs vests, including those possesses by special forces. Did I understand correctly ? If yes, what are those amno ? Are they availlable in the new AK-12 ?

    Basically he is talking about Russian ball ammo that has a steel core. He is talking about how it penetrates well, but it is not armour piercing ammo. the steel cores are not hardened steel and they are not pointed as they would be if they were for penetrating armour.

    I have a few armour piercing incendiary 7.62 x 39mm rounds and the steel cores stick out the nose of the jacket and they are pointed. the tips are painted purple and black to indicate they are armour piercing incendiary rounds.

    But, If it exists amnutions able to perfore body armors, including the most sophisticated bulletproofs -swats' body armors- vests, it would be interresting to know what are they ? In fact my straight-forward question could the new AK-12 perfore all bulletproofs ?

    The Russians developed a few rounds specifically to defeat personal body armour... the obvious is the 12.7 x 108mm heavy rifles or anti material rifles. Also they have revealed the 9 x 39mm rounds and 7.62 x 54mm rounds and of course the new 12.7 x 55mm rounds intended to defeat protected personnel.

    I rather suspect they will have armour piercing ammo in 5.45 x 39mm for use against an enemy with protection but as I keep saying even the heaviest vest will only protect the upper chest area from rifle calibre bullets... even vests that will stop 338 Lapua Magnum rounds from 100m will not stop 5.45mm to the gut. A shot to the upper thigh that hits the femoral arterie will kill you in minute of you don't stop the blood loss.

    I have another request to admin, or moderator, in fact I initiate this topic in the goal of a complements to AK-12's topic, if you are agree, could you move it this subject, in the AK-12's topic. Because the purpose of this topic is to discuss about the opportunity of AK-12 against the bulletsproofs vests.

    OK.

    One of the features of the AK12 is accuracy... and defeating body armour obviously being able to hit the part of the target least protected by armour maximises your potential for success.
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  nemrod Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:46 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    The Russians developed a few rounds specifically to defeat personal body armour... the obvious is the 12.7 x 108mm heavy rifles or anti material rifles. Also they have revealed the 9 x 39mm rounds and 7.62 x 54mm rounds and of course the new 12.7 x 55mm rounds intended to defeat protected personnel.
    I think all machine guns in the world including Browning, DSHK, all gatling guns including miniguns-those -at least >= 12.7 mm, as Yak-B 12.7 mm- defeat all bulletproofs vests in the world. Is it correct ?

    GarryB wrote:
    I rather suspect they will have armour piercing ammo in 5.45 x 39mm for use against an enemy with protection but as I keep saying even the heaviest vest will only protect the upper chest area from rifle calibre bullets... even vests that will stop 338 Lapua Magnum rounds from 100m will not stop 5.45mm to the gut. A shot to the upper thigh that hits the femoral arterie will kill you in minute of you don't stop the blood loss.

    I suspect too, and I suspect AK-12 seems to be designed in order to defeat every bulletproofs vests in the world, whatever this body armor is for simple GI's or special forces.
    The purpose of Russia with the AK-12 is to implement a platform that launch bullets, and this assault riffle could be upgradable as long as the need ask. AK-12 seems to be conceived to fire amnunitions designed in 2010, and future amnutions designed in 2030. In fact, Russia is trying to repeat the success of the legend AK-47. However, I doubt if they could. Kalashnikow was absolutly exceptionnal. Russia could to emulate this glorious success, but Iam circumspect.
    AK-12 is assault riffle is platform that could defeat GI's with or without bulletproofs vests, that could defeat Humvees- in condition to change the amnunitions-, that could even perfored armored vehicles.
    The principle is Ec=mV²
    If russians could increase the spead, they avoid to have a greater calibers, for example to overpass 1.000 m/s regarding muzle velocity would be a great challenge. Obviously, with 900 m/s is enough to defeat now, all bulletproofs vests in the world, but the challenge is to defeat armored vehicle with 7.62 mm. I think Russia can afford it.



    Werewolf
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5289
    Points : 5490
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Werewolf Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:25 pm

    I think all machine guns in the world including Browning, DSHK, all gatling guns including miniguns-those -at least >= 12.7 mm, as Yak-B 12.7 mm- defeat all bulletproofs vests in the world. Is it correct ?

    With ease they will penetrate class 5 bp vests.

    The AK-12 will use 7N22 or 7N24 which can penetrate 8-10mm HRA Steel plates, so class 4 vests are no problem to penetrate at certain ranges with 150m.


    http://vimpel-v.com/arma_portatile/arma_potatile_patron/print:page,1,932-patron-povyshennoy-probivaemosti-6n24.html




    Comparative tests were carried out with cartridges 7N24 having a bullet with hard core, the core has 7N24M having a bullet with hard core with the head part in the form of a cone. As punched material used armored plate 10 mm brand 2P GOST 21967-90 At 100 meters away, shots were fired from a 5.45 mm machine gun RPK74, 5 mm armored plate mark 2P GOST 21967-90 At 550 meters away, shots were fired out of 5 45 mm - AK74M machine equipped with a telescopic sight, section 6BR23-1 vest at a distance of 100 m, shots were fired from a machine gun and assault rifle AK74 RPK74. Specifies the percentage of breaking barriers.
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  nemrod Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:50 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    With ease they will penetrate class 5 bp vests.

    As my english is far to be perfect, very far, I didn't understand. Question Question

    Werewolf wrote:
    The AK-12 will use 7N22 or 7N24 which can penetrate 8-10mm HRA Steel plates, so class 4 vests are no problem to penetrate at certain ranges with 150m.
    Did you mean Type IV (Armor Piercing Rifle) ? I did not understand too.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5289
    Points : 5490
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Werewolf Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 pm

    As my english is far to be perfect, very far, I didn't understand. Question Question

    Any 12.7mm rifle calibre be it suppressed 12.7x55mm or full 12.7x99 and 12.7x108mm, they all will penetrate all bulletproof vests of up to bulletproof vests of class 5.


    Did you mean Type IV (Armor Piercing Rifle) ? I did not understand too.

    There are so far 5 classes of bulletproof vests from FlaK vests against small fragments to bulletproof vests. The class 4 bulletproof vest is bulletproof against Rifle calibres (Assault rifles) usually military vests. Meaning the 7N22 and 7N24 (5,45x39mm) can penetrate such vests of class 4.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 29382
    Points : 29910
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  GarryB Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:23 am

    I think all machine guns in the world including Browning, DSHK, all gatling guns including miniguns-those -at least >= 12.7 mm, as Yak-B 12.7 mm- defeat all bulletproofs vests in the world. Is it correct ?

    Gatling guns just have a very high rate of fire, they are not otherwise more powerful than other types of gun.

    A large calibre machine gun should defeat pretty much any vest... even if it doesn't penetrate it it will shatter bones and crush organs to the point where survival is unlikely.

    Gatling guns were tested in 5.56mm and were deemed to be not worth the effort in the smaller calibres.

    The smallest common calibre is the 7.62 x 54mm four barrel gun fitted to the Ka-29 naval assault helo.

    In fact, Russia is trying to repeat the success of the legend AK-47. However, I doubt if they could. Kalashnikow was absolutly exceptionnal. Russia could to emulate this glorious success, but Iam circumspect.

    Russia doesn't need some uber legendary rifle... the AK-74 is a good rifle and the AK12 is better because it takes all the AK-74s problems... real and perceived, and fixes them.

    the AK12 will be an excellent service rifle that is easy to use.

    If russians could increase the spead, they avoid to have a greater calibers, for example to overpass 1.000 m/s regarding muzle velocity would be a great challenge. Obviously, with 900 m/s is enough to defeat now, all bulletproofs vests in the world, but the challenge is to defeat armored vehicle with 7.62 mm. I think Russia can afford it.

    The flechette is the ideal penetrator and while not the most accurate small arms round the ACR is a good indicator. It was a rifle by Steyr that competed and lost the competition to replace the M16 in US service. the point was that it was designed to fire flechette rounds only. It had no elevation capability on its iron sights because the projectile was so low drag and left the muzzle at such high velocity that you didn't need to change your point of aim out to 800m.

    the main problem was that accuracy was not as good as a real bullet, recoil was very low because the projectile was very light, but the effect on target was not very impressive... it made a small hole and wasn't very lethal.

    When the enemy is wearing body armour however it would penetrate very well and likely be bent on impact which greatly increases its wounding effectiveness.

    On an unarmoured target it could pass through a beating human heart without stopping the heart...
    nemrod
    nemrod

    Posts : 839
    Points : 1337
    Join date : 2012-09-11
    Age : 56

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  nemrod Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 pm

    For example, russian army will get next their new equipement "Ratnik". They made test, you will have to know that they shot 10 -7.62 mm- bullets, and none was able to penetrate, meanwhile, they shot 10 bullets against nato-EU equipements, and they saw at least two bullets were able penetrate. For that reason I asked about the possibility of the assault riffles.





    This video below is in russian, I don't speak russian, if someone could translate the best moments.
    Kimppis
    Kimppis

    Posts : 617
    Points : 617
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Kimppis Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:33 am

    Are they in any kind of hurry to replace AK-74M? I read that they could produce 50 000 AK-12s per year (IIRC) but are they actually going to do that?
    TR1
    TR1

    Posts : 5552
    Points : 5560
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  TR1 Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 am

    There are millions of older AKs to replace, so why not?
    avatar
    Strizh

    Posts : 131
    Points : 130
    Join date : 2014-05-06

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Strizh Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:41 pm

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Rh1jkFa
    Is this how the new AK12 will look like? Looks much better than the previous version.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5289
    Points : 5490
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Werewolf Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:28 pm

    I would love this AK-12 with this buttstock and not this flimsy thing that we could see on other versions.

    Sponsored content

    AK-12 Rifle Discussion - Page 17 Empty Re: AK-12 Rifle Discussion

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:45 am