Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+54
Morpheus Eberhardt
KomissarBojanchev
zepia
2SPOOKY4U
onwiththewar
chinggis
Cowboy's daughter
George1
Hannibal Barca
HeNeArKrXeRn_
Walther von Oldenburg
Cyberspec
OminousSpudd
PapaDragon
kvs
calripson
ExBeobachter1987
BKP
franco
Firebird
Werewolf
Viktor
wilhelm
Boreas
par far
Da_Vinci
Karl Haushofer
TheArmenian
arpakola
higurashihougi
Mr.Comrade
AirCargo
cracker
mutantsushi
Akula971
Neutrality
Erk
mack8
magnumcromagnon
Regular
KoTeMoRe
sepheronx
whir
flamming_python
Godric
medo
gregoire
Cahaba
Flagship Victory
auslander
Ghoster
Monarchist
Khepesh
Rodinazombie
58 posters

The Situation in the Ukraine. #15

Khepesh
    Khepesh

The Situation in the Ukraine. #15 - Page 28 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #15

Post  Khepesh Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Photo from Shirokino today. Reported heavy artillery fire and a fight. Also I heard something about a French journalist wounded by ukrops shelling of Kuibyshevsky district, but no hard info.
    The Situation in the Ukraine. #15 - Page 28 49be5c888ac4
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

The Situation in the Ukraine. #15 - Page 28 Empty Re: The Situation in the Ukraine. #15

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:13 pm

Erk wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:
    I understand what he says perfectly and have said I agree with him. But he does not understand, or shows that he understands, that the war is here now and that people die. His argument in context of what happens now in Donbass can be construed as saying that the people of Donbass should accept bombardment and death for the "greater good", the "cunning plan", and I find that immoral.
    Yep, that makes perfect sense, politicians work on percentages, they don't really care about exact casualties etc. What's happening in Donbass is a sin.

So how is anyone going to stop the shelling of Donbass by Kiev and the neo-Nazis?

There is an easy way to stop Maidan shelling Donbas. If Russia accepts Donbas request to join Russia or even deploy Russian peacekeepers, Maidan would not dare to shell Donbas. Russia is a super power. Maidan never dares to mess with Russia. How many bullets fell into Crimea? 0

Maybe not the wisest thing to do diplomatically, but it is the wisest thing to do morally. Maidan could massacre everyone in Donbas yet I don't see Putin accepting Donbas request for peacekeepers.

Back in the early 1990s, Yeltsin accepted South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria's requests to deploy Russian peacekeepers, and therefore Yeltsin stopped Georgia and Moldova from massacring the people of South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria. Putin is not as bold as Yeltsin.

Last edited by Flagship Victory on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Khepesh wrote:So, Dennis Pushilin says war within hours, which I have said is hype, yet now a senior journalist at anna-news, Sergei Veselovsky, has made a very strong statement that Ukraine spits on Minsk-2 and that Russia should stop pretending a drop of rain has fallen on cheek when in fact was shot in the face, and that inactivity and silence is seen by the West as simply weakness and that war must now happen. I absolutely do not suggest that Pushilin and Veselovsky say what they do "with permission", but it gets interesting.

We all forgot one little detail here. Remember that EU sanctions vote? It should be any day now. Either EU drops the whole thing or they officially go full retard. Depending on that either overall environment changes or, should sanctions stay officially in place (more likely option) rebels will be given green light to officially open hunting season on ukrops lasting until December.

This might be the reason for current waiting game. No need to jump the gun until you have the data you need.

For the record, I fully support ''hunting season'' option here but one that is well organized and planned to tiniest detail. I do not believe in going all ''Leeroy Jenkins'' like some members here suggest.

If you are doing something, do it right.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:24 pm

You know, as much as I hate to say it, if Yeltsin is in the Kremlin now, there would be no fighting in Donbas. Why? Because Yeltsin would have accepted Donbas request to deploy Russian peacekeepers to Donbas back in May last year. Yeltsin accepted Transnistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia requests to deploy Russian peacekeepers to prevent Moldova and Georgia from attacking them, and it worked like a charm.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:
    Erk wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:
    I understand what he says perfectly and have said I agree with him. But he does not understand, or shows that he understands, that the war is here now and that people die. His argument in context of what happens now in Donbass can be construed as saying that the people of Donbass should accept bombardment and death for the "greater good", the "cunning plan", and I find that immoral.
    Yep, that makes perfect sense, politicians work on percentages, they don't really care about exact casualties etc. What's happening in Donbass is a sin.

So how is anyone going to stop the shelling of Donbass by Kiev and the neo-Nazis?

There is an easy way to stop Maidan shelling Donbas. If Russia accepts Donbas request to join Russia or even deploy Russian peacekeepers, Maidan would not dare to shell Donbas. Russia is a super power. Maidan never dares to mess with Russia. How many bullets fell into Crimea? 0

Maybe not the wisest thing to do diplomatically, but it is the wisest thing to do morally. Maidan could massacre everyone in Donbas yet I don't see Putin accepting Donbas request for peacekeepers.

Back in the early 1990s, Yeltsin accepted South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria's requests to deploy Russian peacekeepers, and therefore Yeltsin stopped Georgia and Moldova from massacring the people of South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria. Putin is not as bold as Yeltsin.

Russia is not superpower.

Those who put morals before logic quickly put themselves in the grave.

Yeltsin was not bold. Yeltsin was drunk retard.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:32 pm

PapaDragon wrote:Russia is not superpower.

Russia may or may not be a super power but Russia is the biggest country on the planet. And right now, Russia is not acting like it.

You may say bad things about Yeltsin, at least Yeltsin deployed peacekeepers and prevented massacres in South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria, at least Yeltsin fought 2 Chechen wars to regain Chechnya. Putin has allowed massacre in Donbas to happen because he refuses to send peacekeepers to Donbas. Putin failed to stop Maidan in its infancy when he could have done so. And had it not been for the heroism of Strelkov, today's Crimea would have been like today's Donbas.
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:41 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Flagship Victory wrote:
    Erk wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:

Russia is not superpower.

I am in agreement here, Yeltsin sold out everything he could put a pricetag on.

I have heard stories(unconfirmed) that he kept alcohol inside the nuclear suitcase.

Whats with the whole America is the sole superpower?

If we talk economics then you can argue that China is really the economic superpower,

If we talk militarily, then America has a military oriented towards attacking inferior nations in large NATO coalitions after sanctions and aerial bombardment.

Russia is the sole nation that possesses a military designed and oriented towards attacking a major world power.

Its IADS alone makes it a superpower, to not even mention nuclear capability, submarine fleets, strategic and tactical missiles, etc.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 pm

I do not agree with papa that Russia is not a super power. Sure the US may have a more powerful navy, but Russia's land forces sure is a whole lot more powerful. The point is, Russia is acting too soft as the world's biggest country. Russia should at least, AT LEAST, accept Donbas request and send peacekeepers to Donbas to stop the ethnic cleansing. I think even a weak country like Cambodia would have done that if ethnic Cambodians are massacred in a neighboring country.
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:57 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Khepesh wrote:So, Dennis Pushilin says war within hours, which I have said is hype, yet now a senior journalist at anna-news, Sergei Veselovsky, has made a very strong statement that Ukraine spits on Minsk-2 and that Russia should stop pretending a drop of rain has fallen on cheek when in fact was shot in the face, and that inactivity and silence is seen by the West as simply weakness and that war must now happen. I absolutely do not suggest that Pushilin and Veselovsky say what they do "with permission", but it gets interesting.

We all forgot one little detail here. Remember that EU sanctions vote? It should be any day now. Either EU drops the whole thing or they officially go full retard. Depending on that either overall environment changes or, should sanctions stay officially in place (more likely option) rebels will be given green light to officially open hunting season on ukrops lasting until December.

This might be the reason for current waiting game. No need to jump the gun until you have the data you need.

For the record, I fully support ''hunting season'' option here but one that is well organized and planned  to tiniest detail. I do not believe in going all ''Leeroy Jenkins'' like some members here suggest.

If you are doing something, do it right.

i think you are spot on, as for the eu vote, im hoping that the eu will vote to keep sanctions in place, and maybe even bring in stricter sanctions in order to force russias hand. Here you can see the irony and stupidity of the thinking in brussels and washington - if sanctions were dropped it would lessen the chance of russia using force in ukraine, more sanctions does the opposite and pushes russia towards the 'f**k it' point.

Russia is clearly on its best behaviour here, but allowing people to die without response is unacceptable in my opinion regardless of the sanctions situation. Does russia think that ukraine will stop killing people in donbass if the sanctions are dropped? No, they will continue, so ukrainian aggression must be matched sanctions or no sanctions.

Brin

Mr.Comrade
    Mr.Comrade

Post  Mr.Comrade Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:You know, as much as I hate to say it, if Yeltsin is in the Kremlin now, there would be no fighting in Donbas. Why? Because Yeltsin would have accepted Donbas request to deploy Russian peacekeepers to Donbas back in May last year. Yeltsin accepted Transnistria, South Ossetia, Abkhazia requests to deploy Russian peacekeepers to prevent Moldova and Georgia from attacking them, and it worked like a charm.

It's not right to compare Russian deployment of peacekeepers into Post Soviet frozen conflicts and the crises in Donbas. When Yeltsin sent in peacekeepers into Moldova, Abkhazia and Armenia, it was done with the approval of all sides of the conflict. The collapse of the Soviet Union was fresh, and Russia still carried a lot of weight within these new countries. A few decades later, these nations are much more independent and have a stronger sense of national identity than before. The thought of Russian soldiers on their soil is tantamount to a takeover and invasion in their opinion.

I do believe that the Ukrainian conflict would not have happened if Yeltsin was consecutively in power until today, because Russia would have just accepted former Soviet countries decisions to turn West. Russia itself would have been swallowed up by Western corporations, and the political system would have been infiltrated. By now, Russia would have been an obedient "partner" of the United States, and destined to be an economically strong, but geopolitically weak lapdog of the United States.

Last edited by Mr.Comrade on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    whir

Post  whir Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:You may say bad things about Yeltsin, at least Yeltsin deployed peacekeepers and prevented massacres in South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria, at least Yeltsin fought 2 Chechen wars to regain Chechnya.
    No, Yeltsin prevented armed conflicts to spread across all over the FSU because there was no one else willing to do it and many fanning the fire, it was an act of self preservation not generosity.
    Rodinazombie

Post  Rodinazombie Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:

Russia may or may not be a super power but Russia is the biggest country on the planet. And right now, Russia is not acting like it.

You may say bad things about Yeltsin, at least Yeltsin deployed peacekeepers and prevented massacres in South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Transnistria, at least Yeltsin fought 2 Chechen wars to regain Chechnya. Putin has allowed massacre in Donbas to happen because he refuses to send peacekeepers to Donbas. Putin failed to stop Maidan in its infancy when he could have done so. And had it not been for the heroism of Strelkov, today's Crimea would have been like today's Donbas.

Yeltsin fought two wars to regain chechnya?

Do you mean he lost the first one, overseeing one of the most shameful episodes in russian military history and then had putin come and clean up his mess in the second chechen war?

With regards to sending peacekeepers though I tend to agree with you.

The 'world' believes russia is invading ukraine, it believes that ukraine is fighting a war against regular RF forces. It believes that russia downed mh17, it believes that russia is responsible for everything.

So, the 'worlds' opinion of russia couldnt be any lower than that, so wheres the harm in sending peacekeepers? Make it clear that these peacekeepers are not an invasion force, that they are simply there to keep the peace and enforce the minsk treaty who will withdraw to russia once all the terms of the treaty have been met.

Of course obama and friends will be jumping around but they arent really going to do anything about it, you will get a load of hot air like after crimea but thats about it. Russia would show itself as a leading world power if it were able to resolve a conflict like that rather than acting like a timid cat.

The major danger with this, is that the ukies wont allow it, most likely their troops would run away, but the ones that didnt may well be forced by poroshenko to fight. For that reason the ukies probably have to suffer a crushing defeat by the rebels first, so that they would see russian peacekeepers as a relief.

BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:13 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:Russia may or may not be a super power but Russia is the biggest country on the planet. And right now, Russia is not acting like it.

This made me laugh. It's as if someone who had $4,500 cash on hand and was told that the purchase of a home would require a minimum $10,000 cash down payment. Then the person replied "but, but... I've got a whole closet full of Chinese firecrackers!"

Like, so what? That's a complete non-sequitur. Don't really mean to bag on you dude, but that was funny. lol1
    2SPOOKY4U
    2SPOOKY4U

Post  2SPOOKY4U Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 pm

BKP wrote:
    Flagship Victory wrote:Russia may or may not be a super power but Russia is the biggest country on the planet. And right now, Russia is not acting like it.

This made me laugh. It's as if someone who had $4,500 cash on hand and was told that the purchase of a home would require a minimum $10,000 cash down payment. Then the person replied "but, but... I've got a whole closet full of Chinese firecrackers!"

Like, so what? That's a complete non-sequitur. Don't really mean to bag on you dude, but that was funny. lol1

Geographic size is a rather important thing, usually synonymous with resources.

So going along with your scenario, the guy with 4,500 dollars in cash, says he will give the guy water supplies, or a free lift.

Funny you mention firecrackers, specifically Chinese ones...
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Rodinazombie wrote:i think you are spot on, as for the eu vote, im hoping that the eu will vote to keep sanctions in place, and maybe even bring in stricter sanctions in order to force russias hand.  Here you can see the irony and stupidity of the thinking in brussels and washington - if sanctions were dropped it would lessen the chance of russia using force in ukraine, more sanctions does the opposite and pushes russia towards the 'f**k it' point.

Russia is clearly on its best behaviour here,  but allowing people to die without response is unacceptable in my opinion regardless of the sanctions situation. Does russia think that ukraine will stop killing people in donbass if the sanctions are dropped? No, they will continue, so ukrainian aggression must be matched sanctions or no sanctions.

Brin

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. If the EU does vote to keep sanctions in place, as likely the case, then NAF should think about going on the offensive even if Putin continues to regard the EU as Russia's partner. Personally, I'm not confident that Putin would risk to break relation with the EU by allowing NAF to go on the offensive, because a big chunk of Russia's revenue comes from selling gas to the EU, and if the NAF goes on the offensive, then the EU could stop buying gas from Russia.
    auslander
    auslander

Post  auslander Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:I do not agree with papa that Russia is not a super power. Sure the US may have a more powerful navy, but Russia's land forces sure is a whole lot more powerful. The point is, Russia is acting too soft as the world's biggest country. Russia should at least, AT LEAST, accept Donbas request and send peacekeepers to Donbas to stop the ethnic cleansing. I think even a weak country like Cambodia would have done that if ethnic Cambodians are massacred in a neighboring country.

To the best of my knowledge DNR and LNR have not asked for 'peace keepers', it is the ukes who want them. Novorossiya has stated more than once that no mention of peace keepers was in the Minsk agreements and the ukes want them only on the RF-Novorossiya border to give the ukes defacto control of the borders. No one from either side has ever mentioned 'peace keepers' on or around the areas of conflict.

If you have informations to refute this then please post links to same.

Post  Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:

If Yeltsin was in power we would see Russia bow down to the Hohols. Hell, maybe we would see the Hohols take some Russian land that they try to make territorial claims to like the Kuban region. If you think Yeltsin would have diffused the situation you are out of your damn mind. If anything, he'd make sure that Russia would be worse off than before.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Poroshenko and Yatsenyuk Need War to Stay in Power – German Media

http://sputniknews.com/politics/20150614/1023352999.html

Ukrainian leadership, including the president and prime minister, has failed to change the course of the nation for the better: the country is plagued by deep financial and economic troubles, ravaged by an ongoing war, pulled back by widespread corruption and the lack of meaningful reforms.

Yet the people who promised to tackle these major challenges but failed to deliver on their promises remain in power.

For the majority of Ukrainians war is the worst time to change those in charge, said Telepolis, a German Internet magazine. "Above all the war in eastern Ukraine is an important stabilizing factor for the current government," the media outlet added.

In other words, to remain in power they need to flare the flames of war in eastern Ukraine. But few are willing to fight for Kiev there, Telepolis said.

According to the magazine, there is no one, who could replace Poroshenko or Yatsenyuk. Yet the latter has managed to dash the hopes of almost everyone since the February 2014 coup which brought him to power.

"Ukrainians are not satisfied with the work of current Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk. Both Ukrainians and the governments in the West viewed him as an ideal candidate at the time of an economic crisis, but in the end almost everyone is disappointed in Yatsenyuk," Telepolis explained.

Generally speaking, "hardly anyone is satisfied with the unsuccessful policies [of the current authorities]," the media outlet said, adding that the Yatsenyuk government has completely failed in some areas, for instance with regard to tax reform.

Why do Poroshenko and Yatsenyuk remain in power then?

Ukrainian society "seems to be too tired to introduce any new changes after the second Maidan revolution," Telepolis concluded.
    whir

Post  whir Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:35 pm

ZN via Google Translate wrote:Украина осталась без драйверов экономического роста
    Ukraine was left without a driver of economic growth
    Sergei Sledz, Vadim Basta June 12 00:00

The main drivers of growth and development of the economy are exports, investment attractiveness and consumer demand. No business, no jobs, no income, no taxes - must again include the printing press.

Export is not to help

According to data published by the Kiev Institute of Economic Research and Policy Consulting, in turn based on a study of the German Advisory Group, exports of goods and services in the past year has fallen in Ukraine $ 13 billion. US, or 16.6%. In the context of product fell by $ 9.4 billion., Or 14.8%, on services - $ 3.6 billion., Or 24%. Particularly noticeable suffered heavy industry exports: machinery (30.6%), chemical products (28.8%), metals (13%). Exports of transport services has fallen by 27.6%. Almost unchanged food exports - a symbolic drop was 2.1%. Half of the decline in GDP in the last year is explained by the weak export. In 2014, real GDP fell by 6.8% compared to 2013 .; half, i.e. 3.4% fall - "on the conscience" of exports. The export of goods and services in the countries of the Customs Union (CU) decreased by 8.7 billion dollars., Which corresponds to 67% of the total (13 billion US dollars.) Drop in exports. Sales in the EU, contrary to popular belief about the growth also declined, albeit only slightly - by 0.2 bln. (0.8%). The reason - the decline in exports of services. At the same time product segment showed an increase of 1.5%. The drop in sales to the countries of the Customs Union is not good news, but also has a positive aspect - reducing Ukraine's dependence on Russian markets. In the structure of exports of goods was realized offset from heavy industry to the food group. This means that the further development of agriculture and food industry is a key factor for the economy. However, this trend does not remove from the agenda and solving the problems of heavy industry. Among the positive factors affecting the export - the devaluation of the hryvnia and, accordingly, greater international competitiveness, duty-free access to the EU market due to preferences. Among the negative factors inhibiting exports, - the lack of VAT refund to exporters, the weakness of the economy, protectionism from other countries. There has long been the establishment of export promotion. However, a one-time solution to this problem does not exist. Therefore, most likely, the export as a factor of economic growth will have only a limited effect on the resumption of positive macro-economic processes in the future. Continue reading.

Graham Phillips wrote:When Graham Met Texas

Sputnik wrote:Ukraine Delivers New Passenger Jet to North Korea
    MILITARY & INTELLIGENCE 13:45 14.06.2015(updated 13:49 14.06.2015)

North Korea has leased a new passenger jet from Ukraine apparently to improve its aging aviation fleet.

North Korea has leased a new passenger jet from Ukraine, South Korean officials said Sunday, Yonhap media reported.

The move comes to enhance North Korea’s aging aviation fleet. Antonov An-148 was delivered to North Korea from Ukraine on March 14, bringing the total number of the twin-engine commercial aircraft in service by North Korea's state-run airline, Air Koryo, to two. Continue reading.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:38 pm

West' is Not the Charity Business: There'll Be Hell to Pay for Ukraine

While Kiev declares that it would not repay Russia's $3 billion loan or even seize Russia's assets in Ukraine, such moves may deal a heavy blow to the very foundations of international law, US economist Michael Hudson warned.

http://sputniknews.com/business/20150614/1023351827.html

Regardless of the speculations that the forthcoming Ukrainian default will be just "technical," not an "official" one, Michael Hudson, a research professor of economics at University of Missouri, Kansas City, insists that the euphemism of "technical" default bears no relation to reality — "a default is a default," the economist states.

"A default is a default. The attempted euphemism of 'technical' default came up with regard to the Greek debt in 2012 at the G8 meetings. Geithner and Obama lobbied the IMF and ECB shamelessly to bail out Greece, simply so that it could pay bondholders, because US banks had issued credit default insurance (CDS) against Greek bonds and were on the hook for a big loss if a default occurred," Michael Hudson said in an interview with an American military analyst, the author of the leading blog covering the Ukraine crisis who writes under the alias "The Saker."

According to the economist, the Ukrainian government cannot reject its financial obligations to Russia, since credit defaults can be initiated only if a debt restructuring is approved by "a governmental authority and a sufficient number of holders of such obligation to bind all holders," according to the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA).

In April 2015, Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov signaled clearly that Russia is the sole final holder of Ukraine's bonds and does not plan to restructure the $3 billion debt.

Moscow bought Ukraine's $3-billion Eurobond in December 2013, just before the infamous Euromaidan coup, as a part of a bailout program aimed at bolstering the country's fading economy.

Professor Hudson stressed that if the International Monetary Fund (IMF) were to state that the Kremlin's $3 billion loan is not official, "this would rewrite international law and mean that loans from Sovereign Wealth funds of any nation (OPEC, Norway, China, etc.) have no international protection."

Furthermore, such a move would have shattered the world's debt markets "along New Cold War lines," "with financial warfare replacing military warfare," the economist underscored, adding that the world is not ready for this.

On the other hand, Professor Hudson denounced the decision of Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada to seize Russia's assets in Ukraine as a "radical step" that it is "beyond civil law."

"If Ukraine did this while still receiving IMF, US and Canadian lending, its creditors could be held as responsible," he remarked.

Meanwhile, it seems that the Western financial aid to Ukraine still goes into a "black hole," due to the country's high corruption and lack of transparency. It is highly doubtful though that Washington or Brussels will simply print money and lend it to President Petro Poroshenko endlessly.

"The 'West' is not in the charity business. Its firms do not want to lose money, and the EU Constitution bans the European Central Bank and European taxpayers from financing foreign governments," the economist emphasized.

The present Ukrainian kleptocracy "is not a very safe umbrella" to various economic transactions with the West. Although Western magnates such as George Soros hope to acquire Ukraine's lands and infrastructure via sponsor privatization selloffs, there is still a possibility that future Ukrainian governments may repudiate financial transactions and back out of deals made under "the junta" in the same way "that the Allies cancelled Germany's internal debts in 1947/48 in the currency reform — on the logic that most debts were owed to former Nazis," the professor noted.

"Even Ukraine's debt to the IMF and other international agencies may be rejected as "odious debts" that financed a government at war against its own population," Mr. Hudson elaborated.

In his interview to The Saker, Professor Hudson underscored that the US interventionism and deep involvement in domestic affairs of other countries will eventually do a disservice to Washington.

"US forieign policy is simply "Do what we say, privatize and sell to US buyers, and permit them to avoid paying taxes by transfer pricing and financialization gimmicks, or we will destroy you like we did Libya, Iraq, Syria et al," the professor pointed out, stressing that such an approach will prompt foreign countries to unify into a resistance and to create a viable alternative to American financial hegemony.

The US' selfishness and "the-winner-takes-all" approach is self-defeating, the economist remarked.

BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:38 pm

2SPOOKY4U wrote:
    BKP wrote:

Geographic size is a rather important thing, usually synonymous with resources.

So going along with your scenario, the guy with 4,500 dollars in cash, says he will give the guy water supplies, or a free lift.

Funny you mention firecrackers, specifically Chinese ones...

It's true, land is an great asset. And if Russia continues to have the opportunity to intelligently develop it, it will translate into a quite a lot of wealth indeed. And, of course, there is not significant national power without wealth; it is a crucial asset.

But, the key point is, that's an ROI. If Russia is drawn directly into the Ukraine conflict, it will be about the resources that can be brought to bear right now, rather than the future.

My comparison would've been more apt this way: "but, but... I have a whole closet full of T-bills (10-year maturity date)!"

But, T-bills are not as fun as Chinese firecrackers, so I went with those.

Last edited by BKP on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:41 pm

The problem right now is that the EU holds all the cards. The EU does not need to buy gas from Russia because it has alternative energy sources like nuclear, wind. Russia needs to keep selling gas to the EU because gas sale is Russia's biggest income and Putin's biggest income. If NAF does break Minsk and goes on the offensive to take a town like Marinka, then the EU will stop buying gas from Russia. This is why, as long as Putin is president, NAF will not be allowed to go on the offensive.

Therein lies the problem.

The people of Donbas have two choices. One, they can stay there and take the shelling and no one will come to their help. Or, two, they can pack up and move to Russia and start a new life.
    Flagship Victory
    Flagship Victory

Post  Flagship Victory Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Another thing to note is that Putin is a very emotional person. When Putin signed accession treaty with Crimea last March, it was purely out of emotion, no planning, no logic. In hindsight, it was the right move for Russia. Had Putin simply occupied Crimea without absorbing it into Russia, then EU sanctions would have forced Putin to return Crimea to Ukraine because over time Putin's anger of Maidan subsided and is no longer angry with Maidan and refer to Maidan as fascist coup, now referring to Maidan as the legitimate government of Ukraine whom the people of Ukraine want because the people of Ukraine are fed up with corruption.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Flagship Victory wrote:I do not agree with papa that Russia is not a super power. Sure the US may have a more powerful navy, but Russia's land forces sure is a whole lot more powerful. The point is, Russia is acting too soft as the world's biggest country. Russia should at least, AT LEAST, accept Donbas request and send peacekeepers to Donbas to stop the ethnic cleansing. I think even a weak country like Cambodia would have done that if ethnic Cambodians are massacred in a neighboring country.

The problem with your reasoning is that you understand nothing of consequences. Nothing.
    Zero. You want the kremling to send tanks to kiev and overthrow Poroshenko.. But what is going
    to happen with the 30 millions of Ukrainians that will be very very hostile to Russia? You want
    to replace Yakunovych for Putin and to see him ,having to deal with 30,000 strong euromaidan again in kiev demanding Russia to leave their country?  What is going to do Putin when most of Ukraine united demanding Russia to leave?  What about ethnic Russians living in central ukraine or western ukraine or odessa..?  Since the CIA is in control of Ukraine ,wouldnt that put a risk
    the lives of millions and millions of ethnic Russians in other cities if Russia invade? Because Ukrainians citizens will seek to retaliate against anyone friendly to Russia... not long ago the Euromaidan and ultranationals wanted to torch the Russian Embassy in kiev.. and this was without Russia invading. Did you have any remote understand of What very bad consequences
    could happen if Russia invade Ukraine?  You want to protect Donetsk and Lugansk.. but what about all other cities? do not matter at all to you that the UltraNationals CIA paid mercenaries just go to other cities and start an ethnic cleasing of Ethnic Russians there? How is Russia going
    to become a police in a nation that near half of it..could be very hostile against them?  Did i told you , that USA and many NATO countries can indefinitely supply weapons , remote controlled bombs and anything lethal to make a real nightmare the Russian invasion?  How about Russia economy? Will Russian citizens in Russia Federation.. will not protest if notice the nation economy collapse thanks to their invasion of Ukraine? Will Russian citizens be loyal to Putin ,if the kremlin needs to start cutting million of jobs ,so that they can continue being police in Ukraine?

You do not understand the something called consequences.. if the actions Russia take ,only makes things worse and make more ethnic Russians to die,then the actions are not wise to do them.. This is not mentioning how Putin will need to finance the invaded territories too from Russian Budget.. and face total isolation from Europe.. we are speaking about Russia economy shrinking in 50% at least.  

Putin is just trying to earn time.. because Time is not on the side of kiev.. The only way out of the conflict is to kick Americans from Ukraine and that Ukrainians wake up and stop supporting
    kiev war against pro RUssian cities. and start a major Rebelion. So as it stand now ,you want Russia to invade to save 3million ,to put at risk the lives of 40 millions in Ukraine and to risk the future of 140millions in Russia . Pure idiocy . Will Russian Federation citizens remain loyal to Putin ,if the economy collapse and many thousands Russian soldiers dies in Ukraine try to become a police? Then you have a big risk of mayor rebelions in Russia for independence too..
    like chechenia.. take advantage of the collapse of Russia economy for restarting the war in Russia..

Putin is doing the right thing.. staying away of the conflict ,at least officially and sending Mercenaries undercover to help the Rebels positions not being overrun. Civilians near the front
    line needs to be evacuated.. and civilians in houses without strong basement should move to
    a safer place..  Is a temporary war... Ukraine will not have the support for another year to continue the war and neither the west will have the money to continue financing ukraine..

It will be foolish to go invade Ukraine ,if later your economy will force you to leave it again and lose the territories gained. Syria economy was highly efficient surplus ,before the conflict began..and they export a lot of food.. while Ukraine have nothing to sell.. Because syria is invaded also people will fight for free to defend their lands and the Government does not need to convince anyone to defend themselves from terrorist.. . this is not the case of Russia that is not invaded .. so there is not an urgency for most Russians to sacrifice their standard of living
    so quickly to police Ukraine ,which is a mission impossible ,without the support of locals.. as
    it was Crimea.. a support that Russia do not have in most Ukrainian cities.

If saving lives is your goal.. then doing things Undercover is the best way .And the help mostly
    focused in cheap mercenary volunteers.  What you need to remember is that Russia is not only fighting Ukraine.. is also fighting the world #1 economy too.. USA.. So they can cause serious troubles to Russia ,if they invade when it comes to sabotage and terrorism.. Road Side bombs ,chemical weapons or biological weapons attacks ,directly from US best laboratories. Cruise missiles attacks against Russian cities from Ukraine.. a real war that will paralize the economy
    of Russia. and this is exactly what you don't see ,is the goal of Americans with Ukraine..
    To collapse Russia Economy ,to see the Russian Army defeated , not military ,but economically defeated..and have to retreat from Ukraine ,with a bankrupt economy.. and later people demanding Putin to resign. In short you are really shortsighted. and im glad the Russian Government does not fall in the trap ,to become the police of Ukraine.. Russia role should be
    to make it very costly for kiev to continue their war... and NOT the other way.
    and civilians should most of them evacuated from the hot zones were artillery lands and problem solved.. no more civilians killed.

By freezing the conflict ,Russia could do the opposite of what the west wants and instead a big Pressure to Ukraine to stop the war and negotiate for peace without Russia being part of the conflict.. or else.. kiev will be in a Big Risk being removed by force from Power if Ukraine economy no longer exist and people hungry and without a job. And they notice the west does not helps them .

Vann7

Post  Vann7 Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:21 pm

here a video that shows official confirmation that Ukraine did NOT
    exist before 1918...  that in that time ,they were called Rusyns.. (not Ukrainians)

Even though not mentioned in the video.. The Ukrainian language is a dialect
    of Russian mixed with Austrian/polish words.. probably invented by germany
    and exported to western regions of Russia empire to promote Separatism movements in Ukraine. From 1918 to 1921 German Army took advantage of the revolution in Russia to hold control of many Russian lands close to Europe.. this include belarus..and sponsor separatism. that today is know as banderism. So is an irony that the real funder of Ukraine but also (Belarus) are not separatist Russians.. but Germans.. And for the people asking for Russia to invade Ukraine..
    it will be good them to remember ,that it was Unrest in Russian cities ,bad economy ..ie a civil war..what provoked Russia empire to Lose Belarus and Ukraine.. And this is exactly the ultimate
    goal of US congress /US Senate and the white house.. with their fueling the war in Ukraine ,to provoke another civil war in RUssia ,to disband the nation . And this can be achieved by the defeat of Russia economy ,and by many Russian soldiers casualties in Ukraine trying to end the violence there.. while at the same time Americans fuel it..

Last edited by Vann7 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:46 am