Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+14
sepheronx
max steel
George1
F-15E
TheGeorgian
GarryB
Snow Leopard
TheRealist
Corrosion
Hoof
lulldapull
Russian Patriot
Vladislav
Admin
18 posters

Georgia NATO/US Relations

Corrosion

Georgia NATO/US Relations - Page 2 Empty Re: Georgia NATO/US Relations

Post  Corrosion Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:44 am

lulldapull wrote:Dude china doesn't have much.....No Backfire's....No Blackjacks.......not much.....their backbone right now is the Su-30MKK, with downgraded avionics that Russia pawned off to them, or they'd still be flying the F-6(mig-19) and F-7(mig-21-F-13) right now......and damn near proud of it too!lol!

Lull Da Pull Dude Very Happy ,

Aeroplanes can never match the lethality of Ballistic missiles launched from unknown places including submarines.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:03 pm

They wuss'd out in 97 when the 7th fleet was floating around Taiwan.

Russia would have fukkin sunk it in half an hour!

I doubt it.

The Russians are bound by the same rules the US and the Chinese are and they are not international rules or rules dictated to them by anyone else... they are the rule they worked out for themselves to prevent WWIII no matter what idiots were in power in the other countries with nuke buttons.

I wouldn't say for certain the Chinese wouldn't attack a US fleet if it really thought real permanent independence for Taiwan.

I can say for sure the Russians wouldn't bother opposing such a fleet to help China or prevent Taiwan becoming fully independent.

I am pretty sure Russian tactical nukes would be on the table if a 3 million man Chinese Army started marching into Siberia, but I would think once they have improved their air force that it will largely be the air force that does a lot of the damage with ground forces used to make the enemy forces concentrate for an attack.
    Very successful in Afghanistan with the northern Alliance providing the cannon fodder... would likely be more effective on more open terrain against a conventional army.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Topic is not China... stick with Georgia.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 am

I expect seeing as how Georgia is an "important US ally", which is secret code for "they have oil or oil pipelines or are in some way connected to the oil industry" I think in the end Georgia will have to start to re-equip and rebuild its army, and I think the US is going to play a very large part in that.

I very much doubt Georgia in its current form will be allowed to join NATO.

The US can certainly cajole and influence the new NATO states that think Russia is evil and the US is wonderful (what they don't realise is powerful countries are very much alike in what they do and how they do it... and that includes little countries like Britain that have never actually been big, but certainly have been powerful... Germany and Japan are two other examples of powerful countries that weren't particularly big either) but it just takes one level headed old Europe country to say no and it wont happen.

It seems with the invasion of Afghanistan that NATO is becoming the policing arm of the western portion of the UN. That isn't going to end well.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 am

Found this vid, which as it is in Russian I don't fully understand, but it is clearly about acquired booty from the Georgian conflict.

What new gear will they get next time? Twisted Evil

http://www.vesti.ru/videos?cid=&vid=149225

(sorry I didn't embed, but it is not one of the video options listed.)
    Hoof
    Hoof

Post  Hoof Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 am

GarryB wrote:Found this vid, which as it is in Russian I don't fully understand, but it is clearly about acquired booty from the Georgian conflict.

What new gear will they get next time? Twisted Evil

http://www.vesti.ru/videos?cid=&vid=149225

(sorry I didn't embed, but it is not one of the video options listed.)

heh... i dont know... Soviet t-72s with polish electronics that were developed in Izrael... hhmmm... and why in the heck did they go with Bushmaster M4s... they are so expensive... kinda wonder, maybe Georgia would save a lot of money getting something cheaper, if they were to throw their weapons down and run ROFL !!!

I love how some of georgian equipment has integrated link to Anti-missile defense (PRO) while they dont have no satellites and they cant connect to american ones XD

America gave them bunch of old trucks... that they took out a while ago... I could buy one of those trucks.. they sell them on base for like $4000-5000... only have 4k miles on those

I cant believe that georgian troops would Kill civilians... thats against the treaty... American military must have taught them rules of engagement, and they didnt folow them... Freaking pigs =(
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 am

heh... i dont know... Soviet t-72s with polish electronics that were developed in Izrael... hhmmm... and why in the heck did they go with Bushmaster M4s... they are so expensive... kinda wonder, maybe Georgia would save a lot of money getting something cheaper, if they were to throw their weapons down and run ROFL !!!

Price wouldn't be an issue for saakashvili because he is unlikely to be in charge when these loans have to be paid back. Either that or it was gifted money by the US... the sort of self investment gift of here is some money but don't spend it on infrastructure or making your country better, you have to spend money on our surplus military equipment or from a vendor of our choosing.

I cant believe that georgian troops would Kill civilians... thats against the treaty... American military must have taught them rules of engagement, and they didnt folow them... Freaking pigs =(

It is a bit like the Nazis in the Soviet Union... they weren't interested in the people, they were interested in the land. Any South Ossetians killed is no big deal... it just frees up more land and businesses for the new Georgian occupiers.

Sad to say despite all the rhetoric if you a US ally it doesn't really matter what you do. There is a US base in the US that trains men from central and south america... including Noriega. Most of them end up being enforcers to maintain dictatorships friendly to the US. The US really doesn't care about democracy... it was happy to support a military dictatorship in Pakistan for years and there is no real democracy in Saudi Arabia or Kuwaite... or indeed in China.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Georgia NATO/US Relations - Page 2 Empty U.S. warship arrives in Georgia for joint drills

Post  Russian Patriot Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 pm

U.S. warship arrives in Georgia for joint drills

A U.S. missile cruiser arrived on Monday in Georgia to take part in joint naval drills with the Georgian navy, Novosti-Georgia news agency reported citing border police.

USS Philippine Sea (CG-58) is a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser equipped with the Aegis combat system. It is one of the U.S. warships being deployed in the Mediterranean as part of the Phased Adaptive Approach program designed to shape the European segment of the U.S.-led project to build a global missile defense network.

“Joint exercises of the U.S. cruiser and Georgian P-101 and P-102 coast guard patrol boats will be held on Tuesday,” the border police said in a statement.

The U.S. Embassy in Georgia earlier said that the purpose of the drills is to "strengthen regional stability and maritime partnerships with Black Sea countries," which is part of the strategy of the European Command of the Armed Forces and the U.S. Navy's 6th Fleet.

The Philippine Sea is expected to leave Georgia’s territorial waters on October 20.

http://www.en.ria.ru/mlitary_news/20111017/167778388.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:40 am

Should be a good opportunity to get nice close up photos of the US vessel, and for intel to practise their "skills".
    TheRealist

Georgia NATO/US Relations - Page 2 Empty Russians Nervous, as Georgia Moves Closer to NATO - funny article

Post  TheRealist Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 am

Russians Nervous, as Georgia Moves Closer to NATO

MOSCOW - An important Russian lawmaker warned the former Soviet satellite country of Georgia and NATO today (Thursday).
    Alexi Pushkov, chairman of the State Duma Committee on Foreign Affairs, said Russia will react sharply and negatively if Georgia joins NATO.
    Pushkov said he doesn't question Georgia's right to join to NATO, but said quote, "We have our rights too."
    He said Russian support of NATO operations in Afghanistan could be jeopardized along with Russia's relations with NATO itself.
    Russia and Georgia fought a brief but bloody war over sovereignty of two territories in 2008.

http://www.wilx.com/news/worldnews/headlines/Russians-Nervous-as-Georgia-Moves-Closer-to-NATO-170552166.html
    Snow Leopard

Georgia NATO/US Relations - Page 2 Empty Fear or Interest

Post  Snow Leopard Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:23 am

Two things make A to respect B. Fear of the might or power of B and the interests of A in the hands of B. If these did not exist neither a man nor a nation cares about the other. Russia is not weak, it lacks leadership. A Siberian Tiger is needed. Then is the question of NATO. Field exercises make them boost but the real thing is the battle ground that has proved their failure. Europeans have been dragged to the wars of American interests only. They are afraid of their unwanted master.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 am

At the end of the day there is nothing Russia can really do to prevent Georgia joining NATO, but equally there are plenty of things they can do to react to such a move.

I am sure old Europe would not be pleased to gain Georgia as a partner due to its instability and irrational behaviour, but at the end of the day, it is not up to Russia.

Russia however can offer lots of military assistance to Abkhazia and South Ossetia, which Georgia will be able to do nothing about either.

The Baltic States are members of NATO now, and there was no preemptive self defence on Russias part.

Of course NATO ignoring Russias needs and wants in this case will likely lead to a loss of good will in assisting NATO in various areas that Russia has been helping NATO in the past
    TheRealist

Post  TheRealist Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:56 pm

I don't think NATO or EU wants Georgia in NATO, as long as the Georgians want SOuth Ossetia and Abkhazia back in their control and has a hostile relations towards Russia the NATO countries in Europe will still think twice.

And I doubt the EU or NATO European leaders are ready to further anger Moscow.
    TheRealist

Post  TheRealist Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

As long as Russia recognizes the South Ossetia and Abkhazia and maintains a large troop presence NATO membership for Georgia is out of the question, same goes with Moldova with its Transnistria problem.

Plus add NATO is nervous about Georgia given the recent Caucasus 2012 exercise in which Rasmussen called on Russia for "Transparency".

http://georgiaonline.ge/news/a1/politics/1347577604.php

What NATO is doing in Georgia after the 2008 war is basically putting on a brave face to hide the fact that Georgia is more of a liability than an asset.
    TheGeorgian
    TheGeorgian

Post  TheGeorgian Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:26 pm

What Shevardnadze allready promised to Putin when he was still in power remains. The US won't build military bases in Georgia and Georgia is not requesting US military bases to be built on it's soil. It's was never in our interest. Even when Saakashvili was bragging about having US bases soon, he wasn't even considering it as much as he was probably wishing. From the new gov it's categoricaly ruled out. The only demand is either delivery of modern AA and AT weapons or assistance in developing our own systems. Latter one is more likely.
    F-15E

Georgia NATO/US Relations - Page 2 Empty US agrees to help Georgia boost its defenses

Post  F-15E Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:21 pm

usnews.com wrote:TBILISI, Georgia (AP) — In the face of growing aggression by Russia, the United States and Georgia moved Sunday to expand their defense relationship — including the possible sale of U.S. Black Hawk helicopters to the former Soviet bloc nation at the crossroads of eastern Europe and Asia.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Russian President Vladimir Putin's move to annex the Crimea region of Ukraine has further isolated Moscow.

"It has done a tremendous amount to coalesce NATO and Europe to come together recognizing what President Putin's actions have wrought, the danger that that represents to all of Europe," Hagel said during a press conference with Georgia's defense minister.

Ukraine and Russia signed a cease-fire two days ago, but there have been explosions near the airport in Donetsk, raising concerns the agreement may be on the verge of collapse.

Hagel's meetings here come on the heels of the NATO summit in Wales where allies agreed to expand Georgia's role as a NATO partner and reaffirm a longer-term effort to admit the former Soviet republic into the alliance.

The defense minister, Irakli Alasania, said it has been painful for Georgia — which also fought and lost an invasion by Russia in 2008 — to see the world be unable to check Russia's aggression. About 20 percent of Georgia — largely the separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia — is still occupied by Russia.

But he said Georgia is pleased with NATO's decision last week to make his country an expanded partner, giving it access to more allied support and services.

Hagel said the U.S. and Georgia did not reach a final agreement on the sale of Black Hawks, but they are discussing prices and other details.

At its 2008 summit in Bucharest, Romania, then President George W. Bush and other NATO leaders agreed that Ukraine and Georgia, both former Soviet republics that the Russians consider part of their "near abroad," would one day be admitted to the alliance.

While both countries continue to work toward that goal — which the U.S. supports — there are concerns about Russia's reaction. Some nations have flatly ruled it out, saying it would heighten tensions in the region.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm

The defense minister, Irakli Alasania, said it has been painful for Georgia — which also fought and lost an invasion by Russia in 2008 — to see the world be unable to check Russia's aggression. About 20 percent of Georgia — largely the separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia — is still occupied by Russia.

Hahahaha... interesting interpretation of events there... so after Georgia started bombing and shelling its own territory in disputed areas that contained Russian peacekeepers... many of which were murdered by Georgian troops Russia entered the region with forces to stop Georgia and push it out of the disputed regions.

If Milosovich had tried shelling NATO "peace keepers" in Kosovo I am sure I know what would have happened... can anyone say regime change?

At least Serbia had a UNSC resolution clearly stating Kosovo is an integral part of Serbia... Georgia has the whim of Stalin... Stalin!

Still.. if all they sell them are Blackhawks things should be OK...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon May 11, 2015 2:24 pm

US-Georgian Joint Military Drills Kick off
    max steel
    max steel

Post  max steel Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:35 pm

US' Latest Show of Strength Features Missile Destroyer Visiting Georgia

The USS Laboon is on a three-day visit to the Georgian city of Batumi to take part in the joint drills with the local coast guard as part of the US declared commitment to provide security to its allies located close to Russia, which Moscow lawfully perceives as a blatant military buildup on its borders.

A high-ranking delegation, including Georgia's Defense Minister Tina Khidasheli and US Ambassador to Georgia Richard Norland, welcomed the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer hailing from the United States Navy's 6th Fleet as it docked in Batumi on Saturday.

http://sputniknews.com/military/20150629/1023981032.html#ixzz3eTQGXoof
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Georgia Moving Closer to NATO Membership – Foreign Minister

The visit of NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg to Georgia demonstrates the alliance’s growing support for the country, Georgian Foreign Minister Tamara Beruchashvili said.

TBILISI (Sputnik) – Stoltenberg came to Georgia on Wednesday and plans to hold meetings with the country’s leadership and to attend the opening of a NATO training center in Georgia on Thursday.

"This visit is a clear demonstration of NATO’s support for Georgia and a continuation of a high-level dialogue," Beruchashvili told reporters on Wednesday, adding that Georgia plans to discuss the prospects of its NATO integration as well as Russia-Georgia relations with Stoltenberg.

Later on Wednesday, Georgian President Giorgi Margvelashvili met with the NATO Secretary General discussing issues of regional security as well as the importance of Georgian servicemen’s participation in NATO’s mission in Afghanistan, according to the president’s office.

The Thursday opening of the NATO training center in Georgia is planned as one of the measures to encourage Georgia in its efforts to join the alliance, which were approved at a NATO summit in Wales in September 2014.

Institutional cooperation between Georgia and NATO began in 1994, when Georgia became a member of NATO's Partnership for Peace program. The country's cooperation with the organization intensified in 2004 after the Rose Revolution which led to President Eduard Shevardnadze’s forced resignation.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150827/1026248923.html#ixzz3k1JmpIVm
    TheGeorgian
    TheGeorgian

Post  TheGeorgian Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:31 pm

First of several NATO training centers opened today.

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Gee, another country eager to be fodder.

Like someone said on another site - WW2 had so many alliances. Hence the turnout.

Guess Georgias government havnt got the memo. Instead of staying out, they want to be a front runner.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 pm

sepheronx wrote:Gee, another country eager to be fodder.

Like someone said on another site - WW2 had so many alliances. Hence the turnout.

Guess Georgias government havnt got the memo. Instead of staying out, they want to be a front runner.

I've met a german 19 year old Bundeswehr Soldier, purely dump, highly concentrated results of brainwashing. He believes Germany will beat Russia, he says he will volunteer with his american "comerades" to be the speerhead against Russia and destroy it... One among the many young generations of stupid germans that did not get the memo that germans were and still are just cannon fodder for the muhrican's.
    TheGeorgian
    TheGeorgian

Post  TheGeorgian Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Nothing really new or dramatic. It's to raise the combat capabilities of our troops education and training wise. We allready have a similar type of training center running since 2006. The Mountain Warfare school allready trains special troops of NATO member states and allies for years now.

Working towards NATO membership is also not dramatic news. That was allready partialy established or at least considered during Shevardnadze rule in 2001.
    Consequently such developments shouldn't really be surprising to anyone. It's not like membership was in any reach for at least a decade or two if at all.

Russia also doesn't give us the slightest chance nor desire, be it forced or not, to consider any form of alternatives.

So tell me, what should we do. Simply dissapear from the map .... ?
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:47 pm

TheGeorgian wrote:Nothing really new or dramatic. It's to raise the combat capabilities of our troops education and training wise. We allready have a similar type of training center running since 2006. The Mountain Warfare school allready trains special troops of NATO member states and allies for years now.

Working towards NATO membership is also not dramatic news. That was allready partialy established or at least considered during Shevardnadze rule in 2001.
    Consequently such developments shouldn't really be surprising to anyone. It's not like membership was in any reach for at least a decade or two if at all.

Russia also doesn't give us the slightest chance nor desire, be it forced or not, to consider any form of alternatives.

So tell me, what should we do. Simply dissapear from the map .... ?

Join the NATO you become automatically a target of Russia, because joining a military vassal statehood of meatshield of US will of course make russia change its tone towards Georgia or any other vassal state with a wish to die for anglo-saxons. Nobody gives a flying fuck about Georgia, it is an unimportant country, but if you want attention so hardly, join NATO you will be overwhelmed with attention and then you can go full retard like Sweden or next Finnland and announce yourself being victim reacting to Russias aggression and "expansion" towards west...like the old cold war propaganda that is shouted since over 70 fucking years "The russians are coming", unfortunatley they never came and shut the fucked up every idiot in Europe with their wishes to die as cannon fodder for anglo-saxon supremacy believes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 pm