Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+86
thegopnik
marcellogo
Begome
LMFS
PhSt
Tsavo Lion
tomazy
Walther von Oldenburg
0nillie0
william.boutros
dino00
Sprut-B
The-thing-next-door
Hole
Big_Gazza
Ives
Anonymous Fighter
George1
Project Canada
littlerabbit
KiloGolf
d_taddei2
T-47
franco
Kimppis
eehnie
Isos
nomadski
Benya
cheesfactory
SeigSoloyvov
miketheterrible
VladimirSahin
par far
a-andreich
Ned86
archangelski
max steel
Khepesh
Mak Sime
sepheronx
OminousSpudd
JohninMK
higurashihougi
Cplnew83
Cyberspec
PapaDragon
flamming_python
Book.
GunshipDemocracy
Flanky
sheytanelkebir
collegeboy16
KoTeMoRe
partizan
Werewolf
ult
ali.a.r
Kyo
victor1985
vuxel
Stealthflanker
nemrod
TheArmenian
medo
Zivo
KomissarBojanchev
TR1
Trexonian
GarryB
magnumcromagnon
Morpheus Eberhardt
AlfaT8
kvs
Djoka
Asf
Vympel
Mindstorm
Vann7
Viktor
Regular
acatomic
Cpt Caz
zg18
Mike E
Austin
90 posters

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 Empty Kornet-M

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:13 am

Kornet-M

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 EtPzwsn
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:Kornet-M

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 EtPzwsn

Looks like theirs a targeting radar? If I have to make a wild guess this version looks like it might be the one that integrates with the Pantsir command post and has several times better performance than normal setups because of the difference the command post makes.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  GarryB Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Interesting that Krisantema seems to have lost its radar in Ataka/Shturm upgrades because it was deemed too expensive, but the Kornet seems to have adopted a MMW radar.

Of course a system that engages armoured targets to 6km has less need of radar detection and guidance than a system that can engage armour at 8.5km and softer targets at 10km.

KBP probably have more experience with MMW radar tracking of targets with their work on Tunguska/Pantsir/and Pantsir-S1.

Nice find.
    Asf

Post  Asf Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:31 am

Things can be simplier than you think: it can be a recon vehicle armed kornets with rather than a dedicated AT vehicle. AT vehicles usually have more ready-to-fire missiles than just four, say:
    Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 1333147959_kornet-1

Or it's just another concept with no actual place in the army FOC
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:36 am

I also think that the Radar was for Searching and Commanding/Recon units and less likely for actual FCR capability.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Should be a newly publicized 100 mm gun-launched guided missile for use by the 2A72 family of guns.

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 GKWn0ns
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:Should be a newly publicized 100 mm gun-launched guided missile for use by the 2A72 family of guns.

What's the missile characteristics? Have they been publicized?
    Asf

Post  Asf Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Note new turret module on a BMP-2 model - looks like a module which will be used for Kurganets and Boomerang IFVs
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:Should be a newly publicized 100 mm gun-launched guided missile for use by the 2A72 family of guns.

All I can say is that the rocket motor nozzles are visible towards the front of the missile, and the missile has two control canards.

This missile is also much shorter than the earlier publically displayed missiles for the 2A72 gun family. This probably means that in place of each HE round one of these missile can be carried and autoloaded in all of the loader variants that are in use with the 2A72 gun family.

magnumcromagnon wrote:What's the missile characteristics? Have they been publicized?

Not as far as I know.

Asf wrote:Note new turret module on a BMP-2 model - looks like a module which will be used for Kurganets and Boomerang IFVs

Isn't it BMP-2 with Berezhok upgrade?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:31 am

This missile is also much shorter than the earlier publically displayed missiles for the 2A72 gun family. This probably means that in place of each HE round one of these missile can be carried and autoloaded in all of the loader variants that are in use with the 2A72 gun family.

Very much agree, though I suspect you mean the 2A70 gun, which is a 100mm rifled gun, as opposed to the 2A72 gun also fitted to the BMP-3 but which is a 30mm autocannon.

the rocket nozzles near the top well forward in the picture would be dictated by the likely rear position of laser beam riding components, and the central location of the rocket fuel that would likely burn from the front backwards so as not to change the centre of gravity of the projectile as the fuel burns in flight. the front presumably contains the warhead.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:57 pm

GarryB wrote:

Very much agree, though I suspect you mean the 2A70 gun, which is a 100mm rifled gun, as opposed to the 2A72 gun also fitted to the BMP-3 but which is a 30mm autocannon.

Yes, it's 2A70; thanks; my bad.

GarryB wrote:the rocket nozzles near the top well forward in the picture would be dictated by the likely rear position of laser beam riding components, and the central location of the rocket fuel that would likely burn from the front backwards so as not to change the centre of gravity of the projectile as the fuel burns in flight. the front presumably contains the warhead.

The main warhead is the yellow region towards the back of the missile, between the rocket motor and the rear electronics section. Only the small precursor shaped charge is in the forward section.
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 Empty 2B24 82 mm mortar on RM500

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:17 am

2B24 82 mm mortar on RM500

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 4EAUAqf
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:40 pm

New Coalition SPG

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 B2PDpuKIEAA4QJr
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:30 pm

I know everyone has already seen the famous picture where Rogozin looks at models of the new perspective vehicle platforms, but here' the same picture from a different angle which shows the rear ends of the vehicles.

Russian Ground Forces: News #2 - Page 4 V8DNy
    TR1
    TR1

Post  TR1 Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:08 pm

So, they are having problems with Boomerang and it wont parade in 2015 most likely. Hopefully idiot politicians don't force the program to rush.

However, test batch is pretty much ready, and I guess this is where issues are coming from (to be expected anyways).

Ceramic armor on BTR-80:

http://otvaga2004.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=789&p=21#p454666

sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:42 pm

TR1 wrote:So, they are having problems with Boomerang and it wont parade in 2015 most likely. Hopefully idiot politicians don't force the program to rush.

However, test batch is pretty much ready, and I guess this is where issues are coming from (to be expected anyways).

Ceramic armor on BTR-80:

Did they state what it was they were having problems with?
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:35 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    TR1 wrote:So, they are having problems with Boomerang and it wont parade in 2015 most likely. Hopefully idiot politicians don't force the program to rush.

Ceramic armor on BTR-80:

No reason is named ... only difficulties ...

Victory Parade 2015 on Red Square will be held without "Boomerang"
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Viktor wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:

Ceramic armor on BTR-80:

No reason is named ... only difficulties ...

Victory Parade 2015 on Red Square will be held without "Boomerang"

My wild guess would be is that there having some difficulty meeting the 25 ton weight restriction and or meeting armor requirements.
    Vympel

Post  Vympel Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:57 am

http://rostechnologiesblog.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/results-of-new-rifles-testing-for-russian-army-to-be-declared-on-november-25/

The completion of tests of infantry grenade launchers for the Russian army, which involve the rifles of “Kalashnikov” and Degtyarev plant, is scheduled for November 25. It was told to TASS by the high-ranking source in the Russian defense industry.

“We expect to conduct comparative tests until 25 November. This day it is supposed to announce the results of the tests,” said the source. He recalled that the trials involve an AK-12 and an upgraded sniper rifle Dragunov SVD-M developed by the concern “Kalashnikov”, machine gun AEK-971 developed by Degtyarev plant, as well as machine-automatic grenade launcher AGS-30M from the Tula Instrument Design Bureau.

Earlier, the head of “Rostec” (which includes “Kalashnikov”) Sergey Chemezov said that the winner of the competition for the new automatic weapons for the Russian army will be known before the end of the year.

Does this mean that come November 25 we'll know if AK-74M is going to be replaced with either AK-12 or AEK-971?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 am

I was kinda hoping they might switch from 30mm grenades to the new 40mm grenades used on the Balkan AGL. they are much larger and heavier and have better range, but the launcher looks very compact and small.

BTW they might announce the winner on the 25th, but it might not be made public... I very much hope it is.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 pm

I always thought that AGS-30M was vehicle mounted only.
    Baikal sure looks impressive, but maybe the problem is size of munition?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:52 am

I would think the caseless 40mm round would be ideal for use in vehicles and aircraft, and though the ammo is large it is also supposedly rather more powerful than the current 30mm rounds which should make it more effective.

The new more aerodynamic 30mm grenades that can be used to 2.1km improve range performance over the previous range of 1.7km for the 30mm round and are only just short of the 2.5km range of the 40mm round, but I would hope the extra lethality and capacity for other types of ammo would make the change worth it.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 pm

New video showing off the new AEK (too bad I don't understand Russian):

flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:24 am

Ceramic armor on BTR-80:

First Bumerang, then Kurganets, and then Armata would be listed as absent Sad

Anyway if it's just the Bumerang I can live with it; we've all seen current-gen wheeled AFVs before.

But I think I speak for everyone when I say that the Armata debut would be the real meat and potatoes here.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Various firearms going through testing:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:20 am