Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+86
Atmosphere
tanino
limb
Broski
AirCombatSim
joker88
Russian_Patriot_
ALAMO
Flanky
Kiko
lyle6
TMA1
Rasisuki Nebia
Backman
lancelot
Begome
Sujoy
RTN
calripson
andalusia
Tsavo Lion
william.boutros
ahmedfire
PhSt
triphosgene
Dima
hoom
medo
magnumcromagnon
flamming_python
owais.usmani
thegopnik
Azi
nero
Firebird
Viktor
Slevin
Rodion_Romanovic
Austin
dino00
marcellogo
Singular_Transform
LMFS
eridan
littlerabbit
Stealthflanker
Hole
AlfaT8
George1
Labrador
Vann7
AK-Rex
Mindstorm
GunshipDemocracy
x_54_u43
BlackArrow
miketheterrible
rambo54
KomissarBojanchev
PapaDragon
zg18
General
Arrow
YG_AJ
Svyatoslavich
Kimppis
*BobStanley
jhelb
zardof
MC-21
Cyberspec
The-thing-next-door
theking950
Tingsay
Big_Gazza
AMCXXL
franco
Isos
d_taddei2
ATLASCUB
KiloGolf
kvs
ZoA
GarryB
T-47
JohninMK
90 posters

S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3

Viktor
    Viktor

S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3 - Page 21 Empty Re: S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3

Post  Viktor Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:05 pm

It would make sense that once Russia makes a AWAC like ability UAV  forms a units assigned to a radar units (ECM/ECCM units are subordinate to them) which accompany every PVO units and provide them with radar coverage for extremely low flying targets well in front giving increasing efficiency by giving more time to PVO systems to optimize while slowly hovering under the protection of the PVO unit it provides low altitude coverage to making whole system unified.

From day one first blood was spilled between PVO vs air force engagement US has tried to break PVO in mid-altitudes using different formations, different maneuvers, different ECM, different decoys and still PVO stood firm, US than tried using planes at hi-altitude and hi-speed still to no avail than it tried breaking PVO units with low lvl penetrations with mix success depending on the adversary and high hovering AWAC like UAV would crush confidence of US air force generals stopping all talk in its tracks. Perhaps a combo of AWACS and ECM like UAV would make even more sense and for ECM weapon and trust even Al-31 would do meaning UAV the weight of MiG-29 will long 90 degrees angled wings.

I think that as a superpower US confidence can not succumb to the role of the night thief with only low lvl penetrations as for a major war it needs room to act and that can be achieved only at all altitudes as only some will severely limit its efficiency since ECM was deemed as inefficient given double digits PVO systems that started to emerge in the east and crushed their confidence hence stealth for the promise of a easy win and now when stealth is being blocked also they face dilemma what to do, press on with initial thought or risk facing laughter of the world for now exposed weakness in persistence which will of them tell more than combined all technical secrets stolen by China.
    Mindstorm

S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3 - Page 21 Empty Re: S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3

Post  Mindstorm Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:04 pm

dino00 wrote:"Prometheus" ask for fire: S-500 systems tested in Syria

Testing the latest weapons was considered successful

October 2, 2019 00:01
    Alexey Ramm Alexey Kozachenko Bogdan Stepova

In Syria, the most important elements of the Russian S-500 “Prometheus” air defense system have been tested. During testing, certain problems were identified in the operation of the equipment, but they were able to be quickly eliminated. The tests have already been completed and recognized successful, sources in the Ministry of Defense and the military-industrial complex told Izvestia. The effectiveness of the entire system depends on the uptime of the combat control point and the new all-high-altitude S-500 radar-detector, military experts say.

Wear work
    During the tests that precede deliveries to the armed forces, special attention is always paid to the uninterrupted operation of all their components, said the former deputy commander-in-chief of the Russian Air Force on issues of the CIS integrated air defense system, Lieutenant General Aitech Bizhev.

“All equipment before running into the series must be run in,” he explained to Izvestia. - It is tested in harsh technical and climatic conditions and literally works for wear. Only such a mode of operation can identify deficiencies. After that, all breakdowns and problems are summarized, activated and carried out to eliminate them. Syria is well suited for such trials - it is always hot there, a lot of dust. In addition, the radar has to work around the clock - the situation in the republic is turbulent and anti-aircraft gunners must constantly maintain a radar field.

During the tests, great attention is also paid to the ergonomics of workplaces for crew members, the expert added.

Modeled after Hmeimim
    The S-500 “Prometheus” system will also include a combat control point (PBU) with an automatic control system (ACS), explained Dmitry Kornev, editor-in-chief of the Military Russia portal. PBU is the brain of Prometheus. Its equipment provides the operation of a whole anti-aircraft connection. All information from the radars of not only the S-500 regiment, but also third-party radars, anti-aircraft systems and higher air defense command posts flocks here. Electronics of modern PBUs are able to determine goals and issue commands to defeat in automatic mode.

In addition, the kit includes a radar detection system (RLC), which is responsible for the long-distance search and identification of ballistic and aerodynamic targets. The S-500 also needs a multi-functional "backlight" radar - its main task is to capture the target and bring anti-aircraft missiles to it.

For the "five hundred", as well as for the S-400, a long-range high-altitude radar detector has been developed. It allows you to most accurately set the coordinates and flight path of ballistic and aerodynamic targets. This radar is capable of finding rockets, planes, helicopters and small drones at any altitude.

The tense situation in the Syrian Arab Republic provides a good opportunity to check the PBU and radar detectors, said Dmitry Kornev.

“The high-altitude radar and the PBU allow building reliable air defense without external sources of information,” the expert noted. - A high-altitude detector helps you track targets in time. PBU - to correctly distribute them between the air defense systems of a particular area. In particular, they can involve other complexes in repelling attacks. For example, entrust the “Bukam” or “Shell” the destruction of individual targets. According to a similar principle, the defense of the Khmeimim military base in Syria is being built.

An oil refinery in Saudi Arabia that was recently attacked by drones did not have such a defense system, Dmitry Kornev emphasized. Otherwise, the blow could be repelled, he is sure.

Full Article
    https://iz.ru/927353/aleksei-ramm-aleksei-kozachenko-bogdan-stepovoi/prometei-prosiat-ognia-sistemy-s-500-ispytali-v-sirii

Oh, please........Rolling Eyes

dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Mindstorm wrote:
    dino00 wrote:"Prometheus" ask for fire: S-500 systems tested in Syria

Testing the latest weapons was considered successful

October 2, 2019 00:01
    Alexey Ramm Alexey Kozachenko Bogdan Stepova

In Syria, the most important elements of the Russian S-500 “Prometheus” air defense system have been tested. During testing, certain problems were identified in the operation of the equipment, but they were able to be quickly eliminated. The tests have already been completed and recognized successful, sources in the Ministry of Defense and the military-industrial complex told Izvestia. The effectiveness of the entire system depends on the uptime of the combat control point and the new all-high-altitude S-500 radar-detector, military experts say.

Wear work
    During the tests that precede deliveries to the armed forces, special attention is always paid to the uninterrupted operation of all their components, said the former deputy commander-in-chief of the Russian Air Force on issues of the CIS integrated air defense system, Lieutenant General Aitech Bizhev.

“All equipment before running into the series must be run in,” he explained to Izvestia. - It is tested in harsh technical and climatic conditions and literally works for wear. Only such a mode of operation can identify deficiencies. After that, all breakdowns and problems are summarized, activated and carried out to eliminate them. Syria is well suited for such trials - it is always hot there, a lot of dust. In addition, the radar has to work around the clock - the situation in the republic is turbulent and anti-aircraft gunners must constantly maintain a radar field.

During the tests, great attention is also paid to the ergonomics of workplaces for crew members, the expert added.

Modeled after Hmeimim
    The S-500 “Prometheus” system will also include a combat control point (PBU) with an automatic control system (ACS), explained Dmitry Kornev, editor-in-chief of the Military Russia portal. PBU is the brain of Prometheus. Its equipment provides the operation of a whole anti-aircraft connection. All information from the radars of not only the S-500 regiment, but also third-party radars, anti-aircraft systems and higher air defense command posts flocks here. Electronics of modern PBUs are able to determine goals and issue commands to defeat in automatic mode.

In addition, the kit includes a radar detection system (RLC), which is responsible for the long-distance search and identification of ballistic and aerodynamic targets. The S-500 also needs a multi-functional "backlight" radar - its main task is to capture the target and bring anti-aircraft missiles to it.

For the "five hundred", as well as for the S-400, a long-range high-altitude radar detector has been developed. It allows you to most accurately set the coordinates and flight path of ballistic and aerodynamic targets. This radar is capable of finding rockets, planes, helicopters and small drones at any altitude.

The tense situation in the Syrian Arab Republic provides a good opportunity to check the PBU and radar detectors, said Dmitry Kornev.

“The high-altitude radar and the PBU allow building reliable air defense without external sources of information,” the expert noted. - A high-altitude detector helps you track targets in time. PBU - to correctly distribute them between the air defense systems of a particular area. In particular, they can involve other complexes in repelling attacks. For example, entrust the “Bukam” or “Shell” the destruction of individual targets. According to a similar principle, the defense of the Khmeimim military base in Syria is being built.

An oil refinery in Saudi Arabia that was recently attacked by drones did not have such a defense system, Dmitry Kornev emphasized. Otherwise, the blow could be repelled, he is sure.

Full Article
    https://iz.ru/927353/aleksei-ramm-aleksei-kozachenko-bogdan-stepovoi/prometei-prosiat-ognia-sistemy-s-500-ispytali-v-sirii

Oh, please........Rolling Eyes

Defense Ministry denied information about the tests of the S-500 in Syria

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6953672

Last edited by dino00 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More information)
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:19 am

I believe he is questioning the credibility of the MoD statement... not you Smile
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm

I'd question the value of testing the S-500 in a place like Syria with no threats to justify it.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:51 pm

flamming_python wrote:I'd question the value of testing the S-500 in a place like Syria with no threats to justify it.
    They said they needed 'elements' (probably radar assets) to test against low-observable threats. F-22 Raptors flying over the territory controlled by SDF, and F-35's flying in Israeli airspace...using real life samples will always be better than using test targets mimicking such threats. The information collected in the data banks will be stored and spread to other assets.
    Mindstorm

Post  Mindstorm Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:24 pm

dino00 wrote:Don't know what's your problem with me.
    You saw that the MOD has denied, why don't you posted it here instead of that.

I'm sorry if, from mine post, could appear that i have some problem with you, obviously it is not so Wink

Instead i want always to stress that we should avoid to repost sensationalist articles based on the usaul "unamed military officers" (the mountain of idiocies coming from Indian press, about domestic military systems come to mind).

In this instance some journalists, with scarce professionalism, have transformed some unspecified......but unwise..... info about the testing in Syria of some subsystem of a in-development air defense system with the testing of C-500 SAM (an authenticate non-sense).
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:27 pm

flamming_python wrote:I'd question the value of testing the S-500 in a place like Syria with no threats to justify it.

For sure they didn't send whole system. Most probably only search radar to increase its data bank with some important radar fingerprints like those from F-22 and F-35, drones,...
    dino00
    dino00

Post  dino00 Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Mindstorm wrote:

I'm sorry if, from mine post, could appear that i have some problem with you, obviously it is not so  Wink

Instead i want always to stress that we should avoid to repost sensationalist articles based on the usaul "unamed military officers" (the mountain of idiocies coming from Indian press, about domestic military systems come to mind).

In this instance some journalists, with scarce professionalism, have transformed some unspecified......but unwise..... info about the testing in Syria of some subsystem of a in-development air defense system with the testing of C-500 SAM (an authenticate non-sense).  

Don't need to apologise, I take back and apologise for the jerk Embarassed  part I will delete that. I will send you a message if it's not a problem...

I understand the sensationalist part but we're talking about Izvetzia, and especially Aleksey Ram, which has a great record in recent years and from what I remember MoD never denied their articles, and in this article they talk about MoD sources like they usually do.

From the last part if I understand correctly you're talking about another air defense system that you have hinted sometimes...nice... I know it's pointless ask more about this, we will wait for Putin, nobody needs to give me the Kremlin site. Very Happy
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:58 pm

dino00 wrote:
    Mindstorm wrote:

I'm sorry if, from mine post, could appear that i have some problem with you, obviously it is not so  Wink

Don't need to apologise, I take back and apologise for the jerk Embarassed  part I will delete that. I will send you a message if it's not a problem...

I understand the sensationalist part but we're talking about Izvetzia, and especially Aleksey Ram, which has a great record in recent years and from what I remember MoD never denied their articles, and in this article they talk about MoD sources like they usually do.

From the last part if I understand correctly you're talking about another air defense system that you have hinted sometimes...nice... I know it's pointless ask more about this, we will wait for Putin, nobody needs to give me the Kremlin site. Very Happy

From my understanding radar (and other) asset synergy between different SAMs is one of the core pillars of IAD structure (command posts act as the foundation). A radar asset designed for S-500 would still maintain high-capability even intermixed in S-400 batteries. I don't see why not.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:52 am

There would be no sense in testing an S-500 missile against a MiG-25 type drone in Syria... the threat of a wayward missile being compromised negates any possibly advantage of testing it in a desert environment.

Sensors and systems with the S-500 system could be tested in situ against real NATO EW systems and platforms like drones and stealth aircraft, in a realistic war environment, but actually taking missiles there to test does not really add up.

You can test the engagement cycle from detection and identification and tracking to the point of launch and intercept without using S-500 missiles... that portion could be tested in Russian territory where missile size and shape and launch acceleration and range and manouver performance can be concealed better from western intel.

They have S-400 and S-300V4 there and also other SAM systems and an IADS, so connecting the S-500 system components to that network and testing it makes a lot of sense, and doing it in a harsh environment like Syria means a good test... use in an Arctic exercise would also be a good test for the system as well and will no doubt be planned or already done.
    hoom

Post  hoom Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:44 am

Interesting thing here http://smoothiex12.blogspot.com/2019/10/on-importnace-of-being-thrifty.html
    Combat crews of S-400, in Astrakhan Region, held combat exercises against hypersonic target-missiles "Favorit PM" and destroyed all targets.

And what this "Favorit PM" missile-target complex is? Very simple, it is deeply modernized good ol' S-300 P series which allows to use missiles of types 5V55 which have their explosives removed and are capable of atmospheric maneuverable flight with the velocities of Mach=6 (in excess of 7,000 kilometers per hour)
    So S-400 has been successfully tested against maneuvring Mach 6 targets.
    Firebird

S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3 - Page 21 Empty Did S-500 or similar shoot down Chelyabinsk meteor?

Post  Firebird Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:51 am

Ok its been a few yrs since the Chelyabinsk meteor. But by now, all available evidence is now in the public domain.
    I noticed that the meteor seemed to have came in at rather a shallow angle, not from above as had been suggested by some.

Now S500 and A235 etc can intercept fast objects, even those following a semi-ballistic path. The meteor would have been travelling extremely fast but not in an erratic pattern. Also, I believe some degree of prediction of its path would have been possible.
    An interceptor doesn't need to reach the speed of its target, merely "hang" in the right area to connect. Ofcourse atmospheric factors can mean slight slowing and speeding up of both target and interceptor so that can cause difficulties. But I wonder, if Russia does have the tech to intercept meteors, its prob not political to admit that. So the question remains, did or could Russia have interecepted it - via S500 or A235 or some similar system that might have a higher performance again for limited use?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:31 am

A meteor can be much faster than anything man made... some objects from deep space might be moving at 20km/s or faster, but unlike manouvering targets, the flight path is predicable which makes interception much easier, but not actually easy if you understand what I mean.

The fundamental problem over and above the high speed is that the object coming in might be mountain sized or bigger and it is not filled with fuel or explosives...

Imagine a rifle bullet or even a bomb hitting the side of a mountain... it will make a tiny crater, but it wont split the mountain or even slow it down much at all.

Even hitting it with a nuclear bomb might make a large crater in it but wont slow it down, and all material blown off it will now be super heated beyond what the atmosphere would heat it, and it will now be radioactive... and still coming in at the same speed and angle it was before.

The secret to dealing from enormous objects from space is very early detection and tracking and actually landing something on it to change its trajectory so it preferably hits the sun or jupiter... as that will totally eliminate even a very large object from the threat list.
    Austin

Post  Austin Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Anti-aircraft missile systems of the S-300V family

http://arsenal-otechestva.ru/article/1214-zenitnye-raketnye-sistemy-semejstva-s-300v
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:54 pm

The Ministry of Defense decided to supply the 201st Russian military base in Tajikistan with the S-300PS anti-aircraft missile system. The division set arrived in Tajikistan by rail, and engineering work is currently underway to prepare a position area for equipment. The division has about 30 pieces of equipment, including, in addition to launchers, a command post, radar, guidance systems and support vehicles. Previously, the complex was stored in one of the arsenals of the Central Military District.

The S-300PS first entered service with the 201st Russian military base. The equipment was delivered to the territory of the Republic of Tajikistan by rail from the storage arsenal of the Central Military District, deployed in the Volga Region

- the message says.

The Ministry of Defense reported that after the preparatory measures, the S-300PS anti-aircraft missile systems will be put on pilot combat duty. The main task of the division is to cover the Russian military base from air attacks, as well as the air defense of the Central Asian collective security region in conjunction with the air defense of Tajikistan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGRWhDDVM64
    thegopnik
    thegopnik

Post  thegopnik Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:55 am

Guys is the morfey project even ongoing anymore? I remember that it was introduced with the vityaz and its purpose was to be used as the last line of defense with a 10km range and many short missies. I mean we kept on getting news reports of the vityaz system but not the morfey. I am starting to believe that it got replaced with the peresvet which would make sense because I have heard that a 1 megaton laser from a YAL-1 can destroy a missile from 10kms away and you can constantly shoot the laser quicker than a missile can reach the target than quickly engage the next target.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:10 am

AFAIK the 9M100 is part of the S-350 system and also the naval Redut system and will be deployed with those systems.

Have not heard any mention of the missile in use as a short range AAM however, but that was the plan as an IIR guided missile with a data link can be kept internally in a weapon bay unable to see the target and be fired using information from the launch aircraft toward the intended target looking to get a lock after launch.

This means the weapon could be kept internally inside a weapon bay until it is launched and then find its own target after launch... this avoids the problems the Americans have with the AIM-9X missile that must be extended out of its weapon bay to get a lock on target before being launched which means time with the weapon bay open while the missile gets a lock when you are not so stealthy.

Of course for naval systems it also means you can use stealthy internal vertical launch tubes that can engage targets from any direction without needing to direct a weapon turret with missiles like Pantsir for example. Just fire the missile and it acquires the target after launch... with a datalink to ensure the correct target is selected.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 pm

S-300P/400 News [Russian Strategic Air Defense] #3 - Page 21 Eifuu410

140km for 9M96 missile. It is from a video showing Steregushchy corvette so maybe they can use the 9m96E2 missile also.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Good eyes.

thumbsup respekt
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Hole wrote:Good eyes.

thumbsup respekt

I found that on twitter Embarassed lol1
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 am

Isos wrote:
    Hole wrote:Good eyes.

thumbsup respekt

I found that on twitter Embarassed lol1

Can you post the link? want to bookmark it
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/krakek1/status/1189324503366668288

Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Still happening Smile

Battalion of upgraded S-300 air defense systems goes on combat alert in Russia’s southwest
    Arrow

Post  Arrow Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:33 am

https://www.gazeta.ru/army/2019/12/05/12849368.shtml

The S-400 exceeded all Turkey's expectations!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:19 pm